2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Richmond American Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

First, I will say we went with another company to build a home. We were going to go with Richmond American homes, but with the experience we had we walked away. We dealt with Anthony in a Goodyear community. He seemed professional and nice at first, but soon it was apparent he didn’t care about us, just the sale. We were going to use their preferred lender because they would pay closing costs. The lender was impossible to get ahold of. Could care less and had no urgency. Anthony sold us on a lot and urged us to get pre-qualified immediately to get it. Well we tried to but Janelle at their lending company took days to get back to us and then days more to get back to Anthony. In that time Anthony sold the lot to someone else.

The lender was a joke. I tried to get ahold of her so many times. She didn’t care. So then we looked at another community because that one was sold out. They said it would be opening in a few months so we thought we’d wait because we liked the house. Then they kept pushing back the opening for that community. It just seems like this company is an unorganized mess. I’m so glad it ended up not working out and went with another builder. We were able to get pre-qualified immediately and get what we wanted. I have a feeling it would have been a nightmare with Richmond American.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

We were looking at buying a new built but the agent we were working with treated us as he was doing a favor, and didn’t assist us. We made a complaint and asked for a different sales person and they would not. They wanted to charge 6,000 for a premium lot but when asked was told it's above his pay scale. Our real estate agent was shocked due to there was nothing premium about the lot or area. A lot of information was not given or we told above his pay grade. I would never look at buying a new build with this company. Our agent even called corporate and no call. A lot of hidden costs that they try to avoid telling you.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

The sales agent (Brian) at their model home in Kemmer Ridge, Beaverton, OR is not at all professional and is utterly rude. He is not willing to listen or address any questions or concern consumers have. I was working to make a deal and negotiating in good faith. He acted like he was doing me a favor. There was a constant back and forth dialogue with him being on phone all the time during the discussion with some sales manager he claimed. We requested our offer to the price that was reasonable but he out-rightly declined it in a rude manner and never got to back to us with the offer update and when contacted there seems to be no response. I would not recommend buying from this company. If they are acting like this when you are buying a home, how will they respond if you have warranty or home fixes? Think for yourself.

Second, they have been selling these so-called "custom homes" but they are not they keeping on hiking the base price every 2-3 days by $5000 on their mediocre homes (check the price history on Zillow/redfin and you will see for yourself). Scamming people by charging lot premium for not so premium lots and misleading them to buy what they don't like or have lesser of an interest in. How would every lot in the community be premium? They inform something in person for a plan about base price and when I check the information online the price is $100k below than what was told to me!!! Feels like a SCAM! Please don't buy from this company!!

Original review: July 28, 2020

We had our 2 week check to go over any repairs. That individual was fired we were told and then he threw away all his notes without putting them into the system

Then Covid hit. Home repairs naturally stopped during this time. They came back afterwards. My kitchen island which is quartz had 2 nicks in it. We were told this is normal and should not expect it to be replaced. Very disappointing. There were a few other repairs that they refused to fix because they were not pointed out previously. How would they know that if the man threw away all his notes. We love this house but feel they hurried through final finishes in order to close by the end of the year.

Original review: July 26, 2020

We had our eyes on a Richmond American home in Elk Grove, CA at Laguna Ranch. First of all, the customer service is horrible! No one can ever seem to answer a direct question. Next, they ask for a thousand documents but then take forever to respond. When I finally got all the documents to them, some guy (loan officer named Robert) that I never spoke with before, responded back in about 3 hours saying that we had insufficient income, which was a total lie! Our 6 figure income was about $165,000 combined with an 800 credit score! I sent him a message back asking what was sufficient if that wasn't?

The coward did not respond because I think he never reviewed the documents at all! I was approved by Bank of America 2 days later. I got curious about Richmond American and did my research! So glad I did! They are a piece of CRAP! Every review I read about the Elk Grove, CA homes were was 1 star! Glad I didn't waste my time and money! Thanks for NOT doing your job Robert!!

Original review: June 24, 2020

My fiancé and I decided to buy a new home, we were not going to go with America Richmond but they had the home we wanted. All was good as long as we were complying with the funds and documents they needed. From the very beginning the sales men Martin ** pointing fingers at anyone else for anything going wrong with our home. First our plumbing sat in water for 2 months!! It had rained and instead of having some company pump out the water they let it sit. We had to literally beg for someone to please get that water pumped out so our house could move to the next phase. Martin blamed the supervisor Travis and Travis blamed the trades. Come on guys take some of the blame!!! Nope everyone is pointing at each other. The worst customer service ever! No follow up calls. No emails. No nothing. Had to push these lazies to do anything.

Now today was our closing date, we walked our final walk and some things needed to be done like putting the RV gate up which only one was up. Nevertheless we were promised the gate would be up today and we moved on to the title company to sign and close on our house. Only to find out that no one bothered to inform us that the gate was not put up and we could not move in till tomorrow. I’m beyond pissed at this sorry company! You all are a piece of work. You all jerked us around from day one. If any of you plan to purchase a home with Richmond American I’m telling you run and don’t do it. They don’t know customers service, they don’t respect the customer. This is absolutely the worst home buying experience ever!! I truly feel sorry for this company. You all are pathetic!

Original review: June 4, 2020

After spending nearly $450k on our home, they couldn’t even replace a tree in our front yard. We had an expert landscaper even look at our tree and the problem was with who planted it not digging a big enough hole. Are you kidding me? They won’t even replace a $100-150 tree? When we spend $450k on a home? Okay let’s mention the buying process then too. We asked to push out the closing date by 1 week... couldn’t do that either! Unbelievable. Buyers beware. Go elsewhere. Do your research. Scumbags!

Original review: May 25, 2020

All was good until after we signed to buy. Then we found out the pricing for options was wrong so they raised the pricing. The sales rep used her mobile phone as a calculator and kept complaining about how hard it was because of her long nails. She showed us pictures of the exterior options from which we selected. However, 2 months later when we visited the office, there were actual samples to look at. So when we asked to see what we selected, it was nothing like the picture. Nothing at all.

After a week of complaining, they agreed to allow us to make a change on the exterior colors. From that point on, if we had a question or issue on the construction we were always greeted with "It's your fault for making a change". Problem after problem. We were scheduled to close the end of March which was confirmed to us during a construction walk-through phase on a Friday. The following Tuesday we were told the date was moved out 4 weeks and they had ZERO explanation or empathy. On the walk-through (1 week before closing - was actually moved from a Friday to a Monday because so much work still needed done) - there were many many issues still to be fixed and their response "we'll have it all done by close".

The day of closing, we signed, and then went for our final walk-through -- almost nothing was done from the previous walk-through. So then a list of over 32 items was created and they would have fixed ASAP. Now it's 5 weeks in and still working on issues. Some items they refused to address so finally had to contact the Register of Contractors so now work is getting done. Also had to contact the manufacturer of a couple items because the installation did not seem correct and yet time after time Richmond said installation was correct. Richmond was wrong and now must tear out a shower and install properly. They also have to rip up our laundry room and move plumbing and electrical because it wasn't done correctly.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Well, everything started normally – very positive and promising, we took a tour of the brand new model fully furnished and my wife and I decided to move forward and put 1k down to hold the house then another thousand (2k total to start off), the salesperson called us several times in one week trying to get the sale lined up for us. After a week or two we decided to get a less expensive house cause the mortgage payments will be more comfortable for us. So time went by and we haven't got any call or updates from our sales rep, we called him and said he was sick, ok. We started receiving emails from a Loan officer, Insurance officer, Escrow officer, requesting more documents and more and more…. Ok. So three months went by of back and forth with all these officers, and the sales rep never showed up in the scene only. Once a month with false promises and false dates.

The loan officer told us do not pay attention to those emails from other officers or company builders, only from him, ok. After 3 months our sales rep, text us we had an appt for first walk thru in our house to fix whatever needed to be fixed before closing, we thought we already got our first home purchased, with home insurance done and escrowed from closing, final deposit of almost 6000 (over 8k on their side already) and also our car insurance updated in our new home address in Haines City, Fl. I received an email to make the final wire transfer directions, went to my bank and did the wire transfer.

Our sales rep called for a second walk thru (A+ for the builder walk thru person, nothing to do with Richmond American Homes) and closing date set for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 different dates, we called several times and talked to the sales rep and loan officer why so many changes. They said that do not pay attention to whatever other officers send us by email, only from him, will tell us the last decision. So we went to his office a couple of times to get final updates and had a strong argumentation regarding the whole process being a waste of time and money for us. Why they just did not talked straight and let us know the truth that we were not approved at the beginning, why wait over 3 months of lies to tell us that our loan was not approved.

Called our bank to reverse the wire transfer asap, so after a few days we had our funds returned. Thanks God we only lost 250 for documentation. Do not recommend this company for anybody trying to purchase a house, bunch of lies, false promises, very unprofessional. If we could give zero star in ratings we would have done it.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I went with my daughter to assist her in purchasing a new home from Richmond American Homes. The sales associate began by trying to get her to sign agreement. After a month of visits and securing the home design, we were quoted a price. We made an appointment as my daughter is a first responder. They literally raised the price over $10k stating a much needed price increase. I wish we had read reviews prior to choosing this builder.

Richmond American author review by Joseph Truini

Richmond American grew out of a local Denver operation and became a homebuilder that has built over 175,000 structures in nine states.

• Quick move-in option: Consumers who need a home right away can purchase one that’s already under construction and can be moved in to quickly.

• Three follow-up appointments: Richmond American has in-home appointments with consumers one month, five months and ten months after move in to make sure that everything in the house is acceptable and working properly.

• Available in nine states: Users on both coasts can get a custom-built home through this company. Richmond American builds homes in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Nevada, Utah, Virginia and Washington.

• Online information: Prospective homebuyers can learn everything from how to choose a home to how to improve their credit score and how to secure a mortgage on Richmond American Homes’ website. The company offers 10 free and downloadable guides, covering such subjects as, Basic Floor Plans, First-Time Buyers, Comparison Home Shopping, and Buying a House After Bankruptcy.

• Complimentary design service: Consumers can work with a design consultant at no additional charge. The company works closely with prospective buyers to design a home that meets the personal needs and tastes of each buyer.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Richmond American Company Information