Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

176 Richmond American Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 22, 2019

I have had so many issues with this new $348K home.

1. Roof issues, numerous flashing and cement caps missing.
2. Uneven floors.
3. Through and through cracks in driveway and garage, visible inside and outside.
4. Shoddy floorboard work throughout the home.

5. Trades who do below average work and simply don't care.

Worst decision ever when choosing these guys!!! Be very careful when using them. They don't honor what they say.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Foundation is disintegrating, sink holes starting in front yard!!! Door concrete bottom busting out. Trying to find lawyer!!! Trusses visible in front room ceiling through drywalling. Removed carpet to replace, floors cracked. Orange paint writing from inspection not passing, just covered UP!! Tile cracking. Floor next to walls disintegrating!!! HELP.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2019

We built a home with Richmond Homes and moved in October 2017. We love the design. There was one hiccup with the home building experience in which there was confusion about whether we were to get a covered back porch. In the end they gave us a credit for the confusion which I think was more than fair and showed great customer service.

However, once we moved in the service was terrible. We had a punch list over a page long because they hurried the close. I was not too concerned because they told us they generally get the punch list done within a month or two. It took over 8 months to get all the items taken care of along with numerous communication with our Superintendents.

We had to reach out to our Superintendent after a year to have our 11 month walk through. Thankfully we didn't have a page of items but the follow through has been the same, horrendous! We are now over 6 months past and still have most the items outstanding. Our Superintendent finally told us to request the fixes through the warranty system. If this does not get done we will be contacting corporate. I expect to have defects/issues with construction. It is the service afterwards that sets apart the truly great companies. This company had a great opportunity and failed miserably.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Think more than twice before buying a house from Richmond. You get all amazed by the super nice model houses they show you, for then to have yours built in a rush, and with the cheapest materials possible. If that wasn't enough, you will encounter so many things breaking along the first couple of months of moving in, and when trying to reach out for help you don't get the support you had when you were about to buy the house, funny right?

Also, they do a lazy job in every corner they possibly can, and that's to pocket as much as they can I guess, and now I am talking about the sprinklers piping job, which was another nightmare, ending up with pipes going all around the house (they just do the landscaping for the front of the house, so no need for pipes to circle the house for that to happen), or another option to fix that would be to tear up the driveway, which would leave the colors of the concrete different at the end, what the heck?

We, as buyers, will end up losing at the end no matter what, because their lack of willingness to help and do just a normal job (not even asking for an outstanding job or anything) is upsetting. If we have a regret, that's for sure building our house with Richmond. There are far better builder out there, so do your research before falling in love with a model house you won't get at the end.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Think twice before giving security "earnest" deposit. Put 25k down. 2 months later still waiting for money to be returned. They will use your offer to solicit other higher offers on land premium. WTF. $200,000 land premium isn't enough you greedy pigs. STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richmond American?

Original review: April 23, 2019

Quoted 4-6 months to build my home. It took them 8 months. What they don't tell you in the sales office is that they DON'T begin to build your home until you visit the design center. Sales Office claims they didn't know. They're in contact daily with these people. They have meetings. Used them as a lender since they were offering 3% lender credit, during the last two weeks before closing, loan officer change the terms. Claims he didn't know. This should be illegal.

Inspections - DO NOT RELY ON THE: 1 year fit and finish warranty. Point out all the issues in the initial inspection and make them repair it before signing off on the final inspection. We were naive and inexperienced in home buying. Its a hassle and time consuming to have contractors come and work on your home. Warranty repairs - So far, we've been dealing with multiple issues that has taken 2-3 months to resolve.

Issues so far in 3 months.
1) Countertop in bathroom hallway - 4 foot gap. Countertop was not affixed to cabinets. Two months to repair.
2) Gutter spilling over due to not being installed correctly causing flooding on side of home. Reported over a month ago. No action.
3) Floors squeaking - repair was made
4) Upgraded hood range dented in - Not repaired yet
5) HVAC - reported airflow issue since move in. 2.5 months still not fixed.

6) Solar Panels - 3 visits so far from Sun Power

Original review: April 21, 2019

We fell in love with our floor plan. We’ve HATED the poor quality. On closing day, we found that the double oven wasn’t wired up at all - open wires were dangling in the cabinet. How did this pass inspection? The day we moved in, the dishwasher fried on first use. Richmond refused to help, claiming it was a warranty issue. We had to wait three weeks for the warranty company to send a tech. Turns out Richmond wired the outlet incorrectly. Again, how did this pass inspection? There is a wall in one bedroom that bows more than 1/2 inch across a four-foot span.

While putting in a footpath along the side of the house, I discovered a very large hole around the gas meter - it was easily 3-4 feet in diameter. You could see marks from a shovel or digging tool along the sides, so I know it wasn’t from erosion. The hole had been covered up by two layers of landscaping cloth (stretched very tightly and pinned in numerous locations to keep it in place) and then covered with landscaping rocks. Why??? Poor, poor quality for no reason. I had to buy soil to fill in this mistake, and still wonder what lies beneath other areas of rocks. Just over two years into this experiment, our heater died. The HVAC tech we hired says unit was overtasked. It wasn’t large enough to handle upstairs floor space, let alone the finished basement. Richmond initially claimed that they would replace the unit if it was undersized. They have now stopped responding to all calls and emails. Very, very, VERY disappointed.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Numerous plumbing, electrical, drywall and paint issues started within a month after us closing. Poor workmanship, poor quality.... Had to hire another plumber outside of the one that did the plumbing installation to fix all of the issues in our master bathroom, kitchen areas. Wiring kept shorting out in the kitchen, took several attempts for the electricians to fix it. Bubbles kept forming under the paint in my rec room area, caused by another plumbing issue when the sprinkler system leaked. Now everytime it rains new bubbles appear. Walls have to be scraped, drywalled and repainted each time. I'm in the house for 2 years, warranty has expired so I'm on my own! First time I've ever built a house, last time I'll ever build!

Original review: March 21, 2019

Richmond American homebuyers beware! After searching for months, we finally found a floor plan through Richmond American homes that we fell in love with. We were excited to sign a contract and begin the process of them building our custom home. During the process of signing the contract we were told that we could cancel at any time for any reason as long as the building process had not progressed past the drywall being installed into the house. Nowhere in the contract was this written, so our real estate agent asked that an addendum be added to the contract stating that we had 60 days to cancel for any reason.

When our house sold faster than expected and the buyer wanted a 30 day escrow, we unfortunately had to cancel our contract, as our house had not even started to be built; it was just a dirt lot. We tried for over a week to speak with someone about cancelling our contract, just to be shuffled around with excuses of the "people who could help" us being out of town and such. We tried calling daily to different phone numbers of corporate and other offices in addition to the office that we had originally signed our contract and even left messages. We also went down to the office in person.

After a week and a half (and one day after our 60 day cancellation period), we finally got a call that we could cancel. They sent us paperwork to sign, which we did, only to find out that they put the reason for cancellation as "buyers remorse" and that we would not be getting our money back because we were out of our cancellation period. Since being refused by the local office, we have contacted corporate on both of the West and East coast. We have sent both corporate offices a copy of our contract including the addendum.

Most of the time they ignore our correspondence. The times that they have responded, they ignore the contract and addendum completely, and only state that they are keeping our earnest money because of damages incurred during our contract period. No one will explain what these damages are. We have no idea what damages they could have possibly incurred when the property was still an empty dirt lot at the time of cancellation of the contract. Due to lack of correspondence and acknowledgment of our contract and the addendum we feel that we have no choice but to take them to small claims court.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Richmond Homes is very misleading in product and salesmanship. They tell you at sign on that you will be in your new home in 5 to 6 months. What they don't tell you is that it takes them 3 1/2 months to even get started. I am at 5 1/2 months and we are still at foundation. The foundation was poured and red flagged by the city because it frozen and did not pass the PSI test. Richmond found a way to magically have a core test done to show that it is fine. Cement does not change itself. The Salesman would always tell you something to make things sound good but upon checking other sources I would always find that he had lied.

I have watched what they have done and not done in their model homes. If they don't care about things in the model homes they really do not care what goes on in the consumer's home. I have cancelled contract with Richmond Homes due to the fact that the foundation was done incorrectly. I have asked for my deposit back. To date I have not gotten a refund. This is their mistake not mine.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I purchased a townhouse after seeing a demo home that looked nice. This was a new house I was getting built. When the house was finished, they left some things unfinished. Turns out they ran out of materials so they couldn't finish by closing day. Half a year went by with me living in a house with the master bathroom incomplete. The shower wasn't done and they completely forgot about it (although at the day of closing they made it seem very urgent to them). They also screwed up one end of my kitchen flooring. Starting about a foot from the sliding door out to a balcony, my floor is curved upwards about half an inch at the very end. They kept having their flooring contractor come and look at it, curse under their breath a bit about how bad it was and then "forget" something needed to be fixed. This went on for two years until finally, they don't even respond to me.

My flooring was very expensive and I can't really handle that much while still recovering from the initial costs of my house purchase. Don't trust these guys. My realtor from RE/Max wasn't really reliable so I gave up on him. Always have a good inspector of your own handy. Clearly something unethical and unprofessional is going on behind the scenes. Their inspector passes things a regular inspector hired by you, the buyer, would fail with good reason. Don't get screwed over like I did... It was an expensive lesson learned and I think more people deserve to hear things like this so if they do have to deal with Richmond American, they can be prepared to deal with it better.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

It’s a nightmare ever since Dec 12 2018, the date we moved in my new Richmond American Home. In the early morning of Dec 24 2018, the Christmas Eve, we were suddenly awakened by a big water pouring noise in Kitchen downstairs. We called the RAH maintenance manager and found the problem was caused by the worn out faucet washer gasket of the master bathroom on second floor. The leaking water damaged the carpet, kitchen cabinet and brand new furniture downstairs. The next day was Dec 25 2018, the Christmas Day. They brought 5 big electric fans to dry the big ceiling opening. The fans made big noise day and night that drove everybody crazy!

Our first Christmas in the new home was totally ruined! We had to cancel our Christmas party that was to celebrate both holidays and moving into the new home. We called our friends and family members and asked them to cancel the trip and apologized and explained the sudden unexpected misfortune. We thought it wouldn’t last long and expected that the issue would be fixed in a few days. But unfortunately, the nightmare continued and last 13 days in a row!

RAH should fix the leaking issue as soon as possible to avoid more damages and loss. But unfortunately they postponed the set-up schedule a few times with no excuses so I couldn't go to work for two weeks and had to wait at home with nobody showed up.

During this Christmas season we couldn’t use our kitchen for any cooking purpose because the five electric fans occupied our kitchen with big noise and blown-up dust all over from the big opening in ceiling. The nightmare was getting worse at night because of the never-ending noise of five fans that annoyed us and we couldn’t sleep! We feel so bad and stressful!

As more construction defects have been revealed, including but not limited to non-working air-conditioning, non-working ventilation, poor quality of bathroom tiles installation, wall cracks and etc. We lost our trust in RAH and have been so worried about the quality of RAH construction and its follow-up customer service.

As I complained about what happened, a Home Care manager of Richmond American Homes came to my house. But she's arrogant and dismissive of what I said and asked us to do whatever we wanted to. I don't understand why RAH could treat their customers like this? Why they could neglect and take no responsibilities? I also wonder why RAH, a large nationwide company could use “Worn Out” rubber washer gasket for a new home?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I was getting a home built and wanted to add washer and dryer hookups to the basement. They said they could do it no problem. After plumbing was in and backfilled, I asked if they did the plumbing. He said he’d check. Three weeks no response. Never gave me a price either. So the secretary or whatever she is, tells me “if I still want the plumbing it has to go on Monday." This was on a Thursday or Friday, as the inspectors are coming Tuesday. I asked if they did the drain or dryer vent. She said again “if I wanted it I would have to sign off to pay for it NOT KNOWING the price.” I told her that was ridiculous. She then suggested that we could but the dryer vent through the window. Which is against the building code. I backed out of the build. I’m waiting for the refund as we speak. Might have to get a lawyer. We'll see.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

We bought the house January 2013. After two years of owning the house we start having issues with the HVAC unit. Had a company come out and they told us the ductwork in the attic was not up to code. That time we called Richmond American even though we were four months past our warranty. They came out and said they fixed. Since then we’ve had more issues or problems with the HVAC unit. We have a three zoned house. The unit cannot keep up with the size of our house says the two other HVAC companies that have come out to give us quotes to fix the unit.

In the meantime I’ve contacted Richmond American and they won’t return a call. They built so many homes that all they wanna do is get them finished so they can sell them. I’m not the only one in my community the time in these issues. When they came out to fix the unit and the ductwork it was not fixed properly then. They put in backwards Y’s which help send and return the air into the unit. Since we are out of warranty they won’t even talk to you. They refuse to admit to the issue even though I’m not the only person experiencing this problem. It’s sad that they don’t care about the jokes they build once they’ve been sold.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Garage leaked near roof. A/C failed within warranty period when we rarely were there to use it. Hole developed in kitchen cabinet. Bottom made of thin particle board, under sink. Exterior paint not completed properly, needed to be redone. Drainage problem near south facing foundation caused by poor leveling or grading of land, since neighbor's elevation of their yard is higher than ours. Completely flooded now and not draining.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We just purchased through Richmond a year ago and although we like the house we would not go through them again-EVER! We had to close on time and be out of our previous home and they promised to get the unfinished projects in our home completed within the month. We are now at month six with nothing resolved from when we moved in!! I have contacted the project manager twice AND his boss yet nothing has been fixed. I finally had to get on YouTube and ask neighbors how to fix certain items because I was sick of looking at unfinished work in a brand new house!! They just opened a new development and I feel like they put ours on the back burner and all they care about is building and making money--forget about those of us who have already spent thousands of dollars and are still waiting to get things fixed. I have multiple neighbors who have experienced the same issue and we've all had it. If I were you, I would look elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We put down earnest funds on a quick-move in home and decided to back out after a few days of signing and these crooks keep giving us the runaround with returning our earnest funds of $3500. They initially said it would be returned within two weeks, now two weeks later and they say they just started the process to wait another 30 days. People, do not buy from these crooks. Read the reviews...

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I am really surprised with the lack of quality and work by Richmond American Homes. The contractors are not consistent and the work between each home in the same development varies. The builder came across consistent issues with multiple door leaks and did not correct them in all the homes. Instead they wait hoping the homeowners do not see or report any water leak issues. I have standing water on my roof which in their warranty says they will fix and they have not. I have major issues with the subfloor and hardwoods and the hardwood inspector, hardwood installer, and framing company are pointing fingers at each other and they will not fix it.

The waterline to my HVAC/dehumidifier never was installed and attached. The service person is really wonderful but you can tell he is overworked and not able to stay on top off ALL the projects that need to be repaired. Communication is really bad. The workmanship is poor and inferior product used by the builder. Richmond is cutting a lot of corners. This warranty is costing me a lot of time off of work, headaches, and my issues are still not fixed. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I am filing a lawsuit against Richmond. They are liars, cheats, and have no integrity. The sales Vice President Michael Frenchy and Todd ** are liars. I have cancer, and ever since I started with them a year ago it’s been a nightmare. I had a Paxton model built in Anthem. First when they found out I had cancer the games began, I was told by VIP mortgage that I needed to open credit cards to increase my score only to find out that is the last thing to do. Austin ** was working with a friend having her do things only for us to find they were making it worse.

When the VP found out in May that they lied he said he would hold the home until I found someone. Once again I found Derick ** of Prime Mtg. All was ok until closing, I paid for an appraisal only to have wasted my money. Derick had gotten with Todd and they told him if he got rid of me they would give him more deals. I found this out from a Richmond employee.

Long story short, I have been scammed and have papers to prove it. When I asked for my papers back, I found my morphine prescription in the papers from 2 mts earlier. If Derick had been working on these papers he would have seen this! I had to suffer a whole month! They pulled the house from me, even though I was ready to close but would not give the 3-day disclosure rule! Frenchy called and was so mad he was harassing my friend to tears! Said the only reason he ever helped me was to cover his butt! I am going to file with the court next week! I am a disabled veteran with cancer! When someone pulls away from you and won’t shake your hand because you revolt them because you have cancer, that shows what kind of people are Richmond American. Stay away from them!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

So I recently lost my earnest money with Richmond American Homes. After sitting down with the sales rep and walking the model home asking many questions about standards included in the home, we decided to sign a contract. We were not shown any of the standard gallery options offered by the builder, however, the standards we were told in the model home were not the case. When we went to gallery, the options we thought were standard were not, and was we selected the things we wanted, they were extremely overpriced. About 38,000 overpriced.

After conveying our thoughts to the sales rep, we were told they'd see what they could do for us. 10 days went by no call or answer on the price of the home. Management is unreachable, answers will take days to receive, Richmond is not about the customer but rather themselves. Management admitted that the price we signed at contract was deceiving, however they are not willing to give us our earnest money for their mistakes on misleading my family and I. Stay away...

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Richmond homes come with a high price, but they are not quality homes. I have had most of my brand new home upgraded by private, quality contractors. Without exception, every one has commented on the shoddy workmanship and inferior product used by the builder. Believe me. They cut every corner they think they can get away with! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Worst experience for first-time home buyer! Nothing but issues from giving earnest money to closing day. Lied to countless times, communication is terrible, and things still un-repaired for closing day. They will always tell me something will happen in "X" amount of days and it doesn't. They only tell you what you want to hear. About 3 months before closing they cut a vent hole on the wrong side of the room in which the superintendent said he will patch up. Nope, never did. To make things worse, the carpet guys laid carpet right over the hole! I checked again during walk-through and superintendent was nonchalant about it like it's not big deal. It could of been a big trip hazard!

3rd day of moving in, I found 2 leaks in the roof in which one was into my master bathroom! I have emailed and called the warranty department and they refuse to return my calls/emails. Have major electrical problems in the home that has not been addressed. GFI's keep tripping and we have nothing major plugged in. Radon fan has been off for unknown number of days because GFI's keep tripping and sometimes I'll get locked out because my garage to my GFI will trip!

The only time they will contact me back is when they are around in the area and will just swing by randomly when they want to! On another note, they want me to shut off my sprinklers because my water is "flooding" the house they're building next to me! It's their fault they designed my landscape with a huge slope! Also during construction, they cracked my driveway and back patio. They said best they can do is seal it up! Do not buy from them. They talk the talk and don't do any walking. Once you close, you're on your own! I can go on but the bottom line is, avoid Richmond.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have a dear friend who is buying a RA home in the Arroyo Norte development in Anthem, AZ. He has had nothing but problems. He has been lied to, jacked around, made a fool of and has been discriminated against due to his health status. He has bone cancer. Richmond American pretended to care, but were convinced that he was either going to die or was an unqualified buyer. Each lender that they sent him to found bogus random reasons why they couldn’t fund him. He found an independent lender and was qualified but now they won’t even let him into the house without supervision, regardless of the fact he is under contract and they have his earnest money.

Their management, to put it lightly, leaves more to be desired and their professionalism is severely lacking (irregardless of the fact that he has been in the business for, as one put it, “over 18 years”). Having the last word and being a right fighter seems to be of the utmost importance to these people including Todd **, assistant to VP of sales in the Phoenix Division. I recommend highly that you run far away from these people as they cannot be trusted.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Do not ever consider Richmond American Homes for a new home! Once they have their earnest money you're screwed. First the site superintendent insulted my wife by saying he "knew her kind" when questioned about warranty work should it need to be done. He told her she would be put at the bottom of the list if she became a problem. Then the driveway was broke during truss delivery and a second area broken a few weeks after that. Their solution was to cut those areas out and refill it back in because that is an industry practice and standard. Despite the CEO saying in their management statement they do not believe in mediocrity and strive for excellence, they fail miserably. This doesn't include all of the dismissive responses to questions (not ever had a house built before) and then the sarcasm when we seek out our own answers to questions they refuse to answer.

They got real angry when we contacted the city to get copies of what had been submitted when they danced around questions we had about an in-ground basement foundation being poured five feet above grade. Completely disgusted. If we could back out now we would but they want to keep the 30k we put down. No attorney we have spoke to will represent us and I find it funny the last one offered his condolences when he found out we were buying from Richmond American Homes.

Original review: July 5, 2018

We had a host of issues that moved to warranty following settlement. Two most important issues included replacing our oak stairs and railings because the incorrect stain was used and replacing the slider with the one we purchased. After several months of having to prove the dark stain was not the stain we selected at the design center, RA Homes agreed, it was incorrect. Their solution is now to replace the railings, but sand and refinish the stairs... not acceptable given we purchased new, not refurbished stairs - we paid a lot for the upgraded option.

Also, they replaced the slider, but left it unfinished inside (drywall not yet repaired and outside siding not replaced). I continue to submit requests for warranty work and they respond by sending the most recent Warranty work PM to visit, but not commit to completing the work in a manner that meets acceptance. In addition to the issues above, we have opted for an upgrade granite countertop that is not level... and they responded it meets their acceptable level of imperfection. We spent a lot of hard earned money on this home, and would definitely not recommend RA homes to anyone... find another builder!

Original review: June 25, 2018

DO NOT BUY THEIR HOMES EVER. STICK TO A COLORADO SPRINGS BUILDER WHO CARES... To date no repairs have been done on my home and we have filed lawsuit just to have Richmond be awarded lawyer fees. They are a first class joke of a company who takes advantage of people. So if you are in the Peyton, CO area do not buy garbage.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My experience with Richmond was terrible from the moment I put down my earnest money. The financing portion took forever. I ended up spending 5 nights on my son's couch because they couldn't get their act together and get the financing done in a timely manner. Several things had to be re-done - the tile in the bathrooms was extremely crooked and had to be torn out. The grout was never the right color. They tried to use some sort of permanent marker to change the color - it's still not correct, but I gave up on it. They built a wall where there should have been a stair rail and had to tear that out. The gutters were installed incorrectly and had to be re-done. The floors had to be torn out and re-done due to the fact that they forgot to put drainage under the house and there was basically a lake under my house causing the floors to lift and warp.

Finally, there was a crack in the drywall. They repaired it 3 times, but it kept coming back. Now, the repair looks worse than the crack. I am being told by the company that I will always have an issue with that area and they are not going to do anything more to fix it. Had they told me I would always have an issue, I would never have bought the house! Several of my neighbors have all had similar problems. At this point, I would like to just sell the house and move, but am considering a lawsuit. Bottom line...Do not buy a house from this company. They are the worst.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Beware this builder. They employ deceptive, dishonest, misleading, practices. I signed a contract and gave them $6500 earnest money with assurances I would receive it back if my loan was not approved. Their mortgage company offered such an unattractive loan that I immediately informed Richmond I could not afford the house under these terms. No permits had been pulled, no ground broken.

They refused saying my loan was approved. The salesman Pete said he could work something out. He also said nothing would be done without my permission. Without my knowledge they pulled permit and poured the foundation. Pete lead me on for several weeks saying he would work something out. I insisted I wanted to terminate. Finally I received a termination notice saying I would hold Richmond harmless and would relinquish all claims against them. I refused to sign. They have now promised to send another termination agreement. Contract was signed April 14, 2018. As of June 21, 2018 they have yet to provide a termination notice. Read reviews of this builder. There is good reason they are rated lowest in the industry. I would rate them ZERO. ZERO. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. You will regret it.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Our initial experiences were great... great sales staff, interesting models, easy buying process and stacked design center to customize our home. Then a few years in, it all went to h-e-double hockey sticks. Each and EVERY time we've attempted to avail ourselves of any/all warranty services we've been denied... There have been three instances. One involving the shoddy manner in which the crew backfilled under our walkout/basement stairs (large rocks and site refuse) which caused our stairs to crack where they meet the house due to a lack of support. 1k+ expense.

The second occurrence was when our foundation crack... Wall/floor. We thought we followed the process to a "T", contacting RAH before we entered into any business relationships with regard to an estimate, repair, etc. 3-4k later, RAH latched onto some minor loophole and left us to eat the entire bill. Most RECENTLY, after a series of major storms we've begun to lose large amounts of shingles, so I assumed this would be no problem. Wrong again. I was told it wasn't "MSD" or a major structural defect. Three strikes. Not sure how the foundation and walkout stairs weren't "MSDs", but hey... ZERO accountability. No product support. ZERO. Buyer beware.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We paid a $45,000 to build a home. We were told that it would be ready in 6 months, but it is nowhere close. We checked with the superintendent if the home would be ready on April 11. He said that it would be done before that date. Based on that we didn't renew the apartment lease. Now the home won't be ready till end of May or longer. So I have to put my family in a hotel and live out of a suitcase for such a long time. We will have to put all our things in 2-3 storage units. Also They gave us a flyer that a tile roof was standard, but after they got my deposit, it was extra. They ruin people's dreams and excitement of buying a home. I feel sad when I see the look on my little girls' faces. SHAME ON RICHMOND AMERICAN!!!

Richmond American expert review by Joseph Truini

Richmond American grew out of a local Denver operation and became a homebuilder that has built over 175,000 structures in nine states.

• Quick move-in option: Consumers who need a home right away can purchase one that’s already under construction and can be moved in to quickly.

• Three follow-up appointments: Richmond American has in-home appointments with consumers one month, five months and ten months after move in to make sure that everything in the house is acceptable and working properly.

• Available in nine states: Users on both coasts can get a custom-built home through this company. Richmond American builds homes in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Nevada, Utah, Virginia and Washington.

• Online information: Prospective homebuyers can learn everything from how to choose a home to how to improve their credit score and how to secure a mortgage on Richmond American Homes’ website. The company offers 10 free and downloadable guides, covering such subjects as, Basic Floor Plans, First-Time Buyers, Comparison Home Shopping, and Buying a House After Bankruptcy.

• Complimentary design service: Consumers can work with a design consultant at no additional charge. The company works closely with prospective buyers to design a home that meets the personal needs and tastes of each buyer.

• Best for: Richmond American Homes is best for people on a budget, first-time homebuyers and highly independent people.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Richmond American Company Information