2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.44/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Meritage Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meritage Homes?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I moved in Spring Brook Village in Houston in May 2019. After I moved in I had cracks in the front wall, Meritage built an inventory house next to me and it damaged my walls next to inventory house. Mr Kelly ** stop by. Check on the issues and he called Mr ** to fix the door to entrance which had big crack and all other issues for my house. Mr. ** came to me same day and did wonderful job. I am really happy with Meritage Springbrook Village. I really appreciate to the Meritage home. Mr Kelly ** fixed my garage door by himself the day he stop by to look at the problems that I had.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

We purchased the house since end of March 2019, so it’s about 6 months we stayed in the community Lake Cove by Meritage Homes in Lake Worth - Florida. Lindsey is our home agent and Debbie is our mortgage agent. Both of them provided me and my husband the best possible home buying experience and this is our very first home. As a first time home buyer, we have so many questions that needed to be addressed and both Lindsay and Debbie were phenomenal helped us to ease our curiosity. During the process of home buying, they were so on top of it. They always keep us update on the process and always there when we need them.

As well as for the construction manager – Jim, he was the construction manager at the time we moved in to our new home. He really helped us a lot to get to know our new house and addressed all the house regarding questions/issues to make us comfortable at our new place. But it seems like Jim was no longer the construction manager from now forward. Meritage has a new construction manager that we don’t really know or has not get the chance to know him.

So far, there no big issue about the house and I’ve been told that normally for all the new house it need to be settled-in for couple months after it build. I believe as part of the Meritage Home warranty, they will have a one year check or review by the end of the first year we moved in. So if there any issues come up, we can submit the claim and covered by Meritage Home warranty. Overall, I wish all the best for Meritage Home and thank you for building our very first home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I would like to say Thank you Meritage Home for giving us our dream home. The staff was truly caring, understanding and patience with us. Lindsay kept us posted and went out of her way to let us know the progress of our home. There was never a time we couldn't call Debbie or Lindsay with any questions. From day one they Debbie said, "We will get you into this house we promised you this," and they did. I have never experience such ease with buying A home. We couldn't be anymore happier than we are with our new Meritage Homes.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Meritage Homes, Lindsey ** our home agent at the Lake Cove community, as well as Debbie **, our mortgage agent- provided me and my husband the best possible home buying experience. We had two homes as contingency, and they were so helpful in keeping us organized, informed, and were super flexible during the many contracts that fell through on selling one of the properties. We literally have our dream home after a rollercoaster of a year in our personal lives. Thank you Meritage, and thank you Lindsey and Debbie for everything!!!

Original review: July 28, 2020

Let me start this by saying that I purchased a Meritage home for two reasons. 1. The green build and 2. Layout options. My home costs were around $450K, which is a lot for a newly single mom of two, but it was our dream home and we bit the bullet! 2 months after moving in I notice one area with raised flooring downstairs, as I have wood flooring per my contract and what I was told by my sales rep. I submit for warranty items and they have them replaced, no questions asked. Mind you I was told that it was normal even though my gut told it was not, I trusted my builder. 7-8 months later, two more areas occur, submit to warranty, and replaced with no questions asked. 11 months after these 3 more areas occur, submit to warranty, and DENIED. This is when the nightmare began.

I have the floors looked at by outside vendors (restoration & flooring), both tell me it is a moisture issue. And here is the real kicker, it is LAMINATE. The flooring inspection I had done told me that it was glued directly to the slab and had no expansion. They reminded me that you cannot glue laminate to slab, as it would cause moisture issues and would create mold in the air.

During May of 2019-Present I have battled allergies very badly since moving in, in which caused vertigo. No doctors could tell me why, this is what prompted me to have my indoor air tested. Lo and behold, my indoor air quality is not great and would be causing it for an allergic type individual. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on doctors and additional vendors for this issue and Meritage has shown no empathy or care on the matter. Meritage being a GREEN home builder, this has been mind blowing and very frustrating. This is 1.5 years plus of feeing ill off and on in my own GREEN home.

The builder in this journey changed their story multiple times, below shows the approach that they took. 1. 12/2019-01/2020: Sent warranty ticket. Denied. Then sent restoration and air reports and it took weeks for them to respond. 2. 02/2020: Initially I was told it was probably the powder bath. They had plumbing come out to lift the toilet and nothing. Mind you this company was getting moisture in the areas of buckled boards.

3. 03/2020: They then sent out their restoration company out who was getting moisture in the same areas. They took my trim off and cut a rectangle out of the drywall and could not locate the source of “leak”. This is still open and exposed in my entryway. 4. 05/2020: Sent the flooring company out that did the install. They Surveyed the floors. The guy that showed up could not work his own moisture reader or did not know the codes for vinyl, yes vinyl because that is what he told me that I had. Sent a report WEEKS later.

5. 06/2020: The final decision from the builder was that it was topical, and my fault and that I must have had some spill on the floors and because they are wood, they are not liable because you cannot put water on wood. Meaning they were not liable and that they would schedule the drywall and trim repair. Keep in mind that if my floors were actually vinyl like they the flooring company said, then this would be null and void given vinyl is moisture proof. Also, told me during this inspection they now magically were not picking up any moisture. 6. 06/2020: I sent them the inspection from the outside flooring company 4 weeks ago after getting second opinions and have heard nothing back.

So, I am now essentially stuck with faulty floors that were also falsely advertised on my sales contract and quite the line item costs wise which does not align with laminate costs. I am a business owner who has been badly affected by the pandemic, so now I am at a crossroad of filing with insurance (which I should have never have to do from builder errors) or paying thousands to fight a builder which most likely would cost more than the floors are worth. Please do your research on any builder when purchasing a home, had I done more, I may not be in this position.

Original review: July 23, 2020

We purchased house on December 27th with understanding that all items on check list would be completed. Big mistake..After constant fighting with and lies from the Project Manager (Taylor) we had to go above his head to get our house together for things that a new build should not be going through (tons of pictures as proof). Finally completed some items in late February, because I was just tired of the lack of quality work. Now I have several issues still needing service under "Warranty", and can't get a claim, no response, and "Warranty " department phone number is suspiciously disconnected. No response from anyone just a random email every month on how "DUE TO COVID-19" they are working to get me on the service list.

Meanwhile my roof is coming apart, garbage disposal doesn't work, issues with AC, irrigation, and dishwasher (due to disposal) and my yearly inspection is due soon. If this is representation of Meritage's Core Values--shame on them. I guess they only apply prior to purchasing because at this point this new home is the worst decision I have ever made. I'm just waiting to see (whenever I can get in touch with someone) if Meritage will be extending the warranty period (DUE TO COVID-19) and make right with us and their product.

This is ridiculous and unacceptable from a company of this statue. I wish I had stuck with my guns and insisted my husband go with Castlerock. Buying a home should be a wonderful accomplishment and bring you joy. Besides Covid-19, this purchase and process has been the next stressful existence in my life. Shame on you Meritage Homes.

Original review: July 3, 2020

We purchased a new home from Meritage Homes three years ago. It was clear from the beginning that the company is a high volume home builder with little attention to workmanship and no interest in professional customer service. We have had multiple problems with our home since we purchased it including: cheap materials that do not hold up, evidence of poor workmanship in the flooring, shabby finishing details, defective landscaping, and more. Multiple neighbors in our development report identical concerns. The home warranty department is unresponsive, unprofessional, and unhelpful.

About two years after owning the home, our under mount kitchen sink abruptly fell into the hole in the cabinet. Installation was defective. It was very expensive to fix and we had to personally pay for the repairs. A month ago, a sewer pipe under our main floor cement slab became clogged. We discovered that it was broke through and through in two pieces. Multiple experts have looked at the pipe and they state it was likely broken during the initial home construction process. It will cost us about fifteen thousand dollars to repair the issue (emergency plumbers, flooring, carpentry, etc.).

After weeks of inaction and terrible communication, Meritage Homes offered to cover a tiny portion of the repair cost. We are now seeking legal recourse. Meritage Home strategy is to (a) blame the customer, (b) refuse to respond to concerns in a timely fashion and (c) do everything they can to avoid paying out any money. Profit margin is clearly their top priority. They do not prioritize customer service and they do not stand behind their product. The poor reviews on this website are accurate. Before you consider buying a Meritage Home, I highly recommend you talk to other Meritage Home owners. I regret that we did not fully research the company-- their terrible professional reputation is well deserved.

Original review: June 24, 2020

The realtor is not professional. He allowed several people to walk through the house after doing the final walk through of the home. No one is supposed to walk through your home after you do a final walk through inspection to ensure that no additional issues pop up after the inspection. The Meritage Home realtor completely disregarded the policy. The realtor is completely unapproachable and unwilling to help individuals unless you meet "his" requirements. Take it for what it's worth, but you might want to consider working with someone more interested in helping the buyer instead of the seller.

Original review: June 23, 2020

We had a problem with every single person we dealt with at Meritage Homes during the creation of our custom home. Most of them were outright rude, while a few others just seemed like they didn't care about whether we were happy with the home. Their new program allows for minimal customization of the house to the point that you end up with a house that feels like a compromise rather than the home you wanted. The sales associate told us the wrong closing date because he was looking at the data on the wrong house.

One week from closing, we were told that there was a two-week delay. Worst yet, they acted vengefully because we didn't use their lender and title company, and withheld the keys from us for a full day after closing. So they had my money and my house. Completely illegal, and I was close to having to get lawyers involved. Lastly, the oven had rust on it, but they refused to help us, and the manufacturer's warranty had 30-day warranty had expired, mostly because the house was delayed so many times by the time we purchased it. Frankly, we hate this house, and I wish I never had given my money to Meritage Homes.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I was happy with my selection and ready to get in my new home. During my inspection there were several issues that came up and and were presented to the builder. I was told that they would be taken care of. Charles ** is the contractor for this edition of homes. He promised to take care of all the issues I pointed out. This man and the sales manager have Randy ** say they will take care of the issues, they have not. I still have broken and missing pieces of a house. This has been a horrible home buying experience. I feel that I have been taken. Long story short, if you buy with this builder make sure it’s what you can except before you close. They don’t stand behind their house. Maybe just look for a reputable builder.

Meritage Homes author review by Joseph Truini

Meritage has built over 90,000 homes since its inception in 1985. All of its homes are Energy Star compliant. Meritage currently builds in nine states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. The company has been named Texas Builder of the Year five times.

• Homes for seniors available: Meritage offers an "Active Adult" package for seniors who are still active and want to move into a vibrant neighborhood, not a retirement community.

• Energy-efficient homes: Every Meritage home complies with Energy Star requirements, ensuring that homeowners will save money on their utility bills and reduce their carbon footprint.

• Luxury homes available: Those interested in living in a larger, more luxurious home can order the from company’s Monterey line of building plans.

• Offers charitable contributions as well as homes: Meritage works closely with Homes for the Homefront, a foundation that secures safe housing for veterans and military families.

• Financing options: Prospective buyers can apply for a mortgage online through MTH Mortgage, an affiliate of Meritage Homes.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Meritage Homes Company Information