2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.44/5

D.R. Horton is an award-winning, family-owned construction business headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The company was founded in 1978 and is now one of the largest homebuilders in the United States. Currently, D.R. Horton builds move-in ready houses in 29 states across the country. The houses are complete or nearly complete and available for immediate purchase.

BOTTOM LINE

D.R. Horton Homes are ideal for buyers who are ready to purchase but don’t want the hassle of customizing features. D.R. Horton offers energy-efficient features and smart home functionality.

PROS
  • Energy-efficient
  • Smart home devices
  • Move-in ready
  • Financing available
CONS
  • No customization
  • Limited availability

Top D.R. Horton Homes Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly recommended … Very thorough and patient. I can say anything else except I had [a] wonderful experience.

We purchased our new construction home about 6 months ago 2019 and the experience was absolutely amazing. If you are looking for a nice home you will get an excellent one with DR Horton homes. As of today's date we have a few small issues but none that can't be rectified by our warranty department..

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is D.R. Horton?

D.R. Horton Homes are available in a variety of floor plans, sizes and styles. To visualize the design and amenities offered by D.R. Horton, visit a model home or tour a finished community. You can schedule in-person visits to a model home during listed business hours, and newly finished houses can be scheduled for viewing directly from the digital listing on the D.R. Horton website.

Characteristics and features of D.R. Horton’s homes include:

• Open floor plans
    • State-of-the-art appliances
    • Energy-efficiency
    • Integrated geofencing technology
    • Multiplatform wireless network
    • One-wire connectivity
    • Hands-free communication.

You can access all functions of the home’s smart devices on the Qolsys IQ Panel, which allows you to use a variety of smart device products from one central location. From the Qolsys IQ Panel, you can adjust the thermostat, set the alarm, lock and unlock doors and set lights on a timer.

D.R. Horton closing costs and home prices

Prices of D.R. Horton homes vary based on the location, floor plan, size and style of the home selected. Most listings do not include closing costs or any related fees, so the price listed may not be 100% accurate. To determine an estimated mortgage payment you can afford, use the mortgage calculator on D.R. Horton’s website. Financing and insurance are available through affiliates of D.R. Horton Homes.

dr horton homes house

Photo (c) D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes FAQ

What is included in a D.R. Horton home?
    A home built by D.R. Horton features energy-efficient construction, integrated geofencing technology, a multiplatform wireless network, one-wire connectivity and hands-free communication. These features are powered by the Qolsys IQ panel. The panel is compatible with a Honeywell thermostat, Amazon Echo Dot, Kwikset Smartcode and Skybell. Some features may be unavailable in Hawaii.
    Are D.R. Horton Homes efficient?
    D.R. Horton uses energy-efficient roofing materials, siding, windows, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Every D.R. Horton home features at least one appliance or product with an EnergyStar designation.
    Do D.R. Horton Homes come with appliances?
    Yes. D.R. Horton homes include Whirlpool appliances.
    Will D.R. Horton negotiate prices?
    The company is open to negotiation with any buyer. When negotiating pricing, consider using D.R. Horton’s immediate inventory and preferred vendors. You may receive a lower price.
    What is a D.R. Horton smart home?
    D.R. Horton smart homes are equipped with alarms, smart thermostats, wireless interior lighting controls, electronic deadbolts and smart video doorbells.

Is D.R. Horton a good builder?

D.R. Horton can be a good choice for buyers who want a move-in ready home that doesn’t require any remodeling. While D.R. Horton is a reputable company, it’s essential to vet the builder and conduct an appraisal. We like the affordability, convenience and capabilities offered by the company, so if the price works for you and you find a design and floor plan that suits your needs, we recommend D.R. Horton.

D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about D.R. Horton Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: April 1, 2021

My client worked with LaTonya ** on the purchase of a new home in Crystal Valley, Castle Rock, CO. It's a fabulous community and D.R.Horton offered much more for the dollar than many of the other builders. My client got a beautiful home with many included upgrades and LaTonya walked him through every step and answered all of his many, many questions. She was thoroughly professional and a delight to work with. The project superintendent was Greg and he made sure the home was built right and that all of the small details that are left at the end were taken care of before they closed. Great group of employees- Keep up the good work D. R. Horton.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Jill! Thank you for taking time to share your and your client's experience with our team in Castle Rock. We hope your client has many happy years in their new home.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

ALL GOOD with our 2yr old home. I feel the first owner was on a shake down cruise!!! I grew up in a 12,000 sq footer!! This is a beautiful home and smart! You can find something wrong with a perfect baby of diamond. I suppose I know what's quality. Wife and I love it to be perfectly honest!! So choose location and ground!! It's on and maybe got lucky and the workers are in tune etc. You can complain about a perfect weather day,,,,anytime.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

In reading some of the negative reviews for DR Horton I was compelled to write about my own experience. My husband and I purchased a home in the Landing at Rocklyn in Clemmons, NC. We have been in our new home for about 2 months and are loving it. From the day we walked into the sales office and met Maria we were sure this was the builder for us. She was nice, knowledgeable, and very approachable. She showed us several homes and never once pressured us to buy. She answered any questions we had very quickly and followed up with us. We had to change our closing date twice due to unforeseen complications with the selling of our home.

Both times I contacted Connie at DR Horton in the mortgage department and she changed the dates with no problem. We also cannot say enough about the construction manager Robbie. We had our new home inspected (which was their suggestion) before we closed and he found a few small problems (which I think they have to). Robbie fixed them with no questions asked. During our one month walk through, Robbie addressed every issue we had and even fixed the problems he could right then. I would highly recommend purchasing a DR Horton home.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Maureen. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you and your husband enjoy your new home for many years.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

My wife and I purchased a D.R. Horton home about 5 months ago, and I have to say, at least so far, we’ve had no bad experiences with the company or the build of our home. About a week into living in the home, we had plumbing back up, but we called our subcontractor who worked on the plumbing to come out using the emergency number and they came out and fixed it right away. Thankfully, it turned out to just be debris caught up in the lone. There were a few cosmetic issues during the walkthrough that we wanted addressed and they were, very promptly, by our superintendent. Then about a month after living in the house we discovered a couple more minor cosmetic issues that, again, were quickly and promptly taken care of by the superintendent, Keith.

We had a couple of tiles with smudges on them during the walkthrough and Keith immediately had the subcontractor who worked on the house come all the way from Orlando, about an hour and a half drive from our neighborhood, come out and fix it. Keith was very professional and understanding through the whole process, knowing this was the first home my wife and I would own together, and was always there to address any concerns or issues we had. Very professional with a great attitude and making sure any problems we had were taken care of right away.

We had also heard of problems with their mortgage company and preferred lender, but the communication and process with us was smooth and painless. Paul, who showed us the home, was the best. He still, to this day, several months after living here, checks in with us and makes sure everything is ok. We came by the house every weekend to make sure things were coming along well and he never was bothered by or minded us doing so. All in all, so far we’ve had no issues and the home appears to be well built and we love it. Subject to change down the road, of course, given wear and tear, but everyone with the company that we’ve worked with has been nothing but first rate. Would recommend based solely on our experience as of right now.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Matt. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: June 2, 2020

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly recommended ❤. My next was my Lender Samuel M, who later acquired my account due some mishaps. But it was quickly rectified by him he too. Magnified excellent customer service and thorough explanation of each document it acquires. Never made me feel like I was bothering him. He too is highly recommended and behind the scenes were HBC representatives Easter L and Evelyn S, and I can't forget my wonderful loan processor BH and the builder Mark T. Man what a great guy. He explain our home to us. Very thorough and patient. I even saw him after I close. Had a question. Came over while he was working on another stop to assist. Wow. I can say anything else except I had an wonderful experience.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Sandra. Thank you for taking time to share your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: April 8, 2021

D.R. Horton is one of the worst companies on the planet to deal with. I’ve never had an experience as bad of buying a home as I have with DR Horton. They left multiple broken fixtures in the home. Didn’t seal the door, and improperly installed the windows causing leaks and damage to the frame. I sent them a list of all these damaged items and unfinished aspects of my home 7 months ago. They proceeded to do NOTHING. Ignored me for 7 months! They finally came out 1 year and 1 day after building of the home and told me it’s been over 1 year we are fixing nothing. This is a racket and I do not recommend anyone build with them. Then had the audacity to tell us he didn’t care it’s not his problem. They are greedy and do not care about getting you into a livable home. I do not recommend any D.R. Horton build, period. Please do not get scammed like I did.

D.R. Horton Homes response

We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. A private message was sent to your Consumer Affairs account so that we can collect further information/details in order to assist you. We look forward to your reply.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Please stay clear of this company, they're a total disaster! In June of 2019, we foolishly purchased the model home in a D. R. Horton Community in Bradenton, Florida and have regretted it ever since. As with all new homes you will encounter some issues with the craftsmanship. Each issue encountered, I promptly completed the online warranty form so the problems could be quickly resolved. As the issues compiled, I continued utilizing the online warranty format. Unfortunately, D.R. Horton never responded to any of these issues!

After making several phone calls, I finally was put in contact with Anthony from their warranty department. Anthony claimed that his department was overwhelmed with warranty repairs but promised to start mitigating some of our issues. As you can imagine, that was a total LIE! I never heard back from him, even after flooding his answering machine with messages. In March 2020, I noticed some water damage to the sheetrock near my son's bedroom window. I persistently contacted Anthony's cell phone, pleading with him to fix the window before mold set in the walls and floor. Shockingly, about a month later, Dririte company responded and issued a report that the window was defective and needed to be replaced.

As you can imagine, no word from Anthony! Then we received a letter from the builder, indicating that due to the Covid-19 pandemic, all repairs would be put on hold. Now, let's fast forward to October 2020. The disaster all started when the roof started to leak during a routine Florida rainstorm. The water leaked through our bedroom ceiling onto the floor saturating the rug below. As you can imagine, this damaged the sheetrock and the attic insulation. During this time in my son's bedroom, water began to leak from the same damaged window that D.R. Horton failed to repair from March of 2020. Naturally, this also saturated his bedroom rug and destroyed his sheetrock and wood molding below the window.

Well you get the hint, I continuously contacted Anthony who finally gets around to calling me back. Thankfully, he had someone repair the roof, but not the sheetrock nor the insulation. Dririte again responded to mitigate the water issues but seemed shocked that the window in my son's room was STILL not repaired yet. It is now April 1, 2021 and the bedroom window is still not repaired along with the other 20 issues within our household. Of the few contractors that have responded to our residence all say the same thing, "Good luck with Anthony!"

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: March 27, 2021

We started working with them on our new home and agreed to finance with them. They emailed over the documents which did not reflect match our agreement so I emailed Daniel with some questions. I also called after he did not respond. After a week of no response I emailed to let him know I would be using a private lender. Within a week of that email construction on my home stopped and did not start again for over 6 weeks. They blamed it on material delays even though every other house they were building in that neighborhood continued to be worked on. Now my home is 3 Months behind! They are uncooperative and dismissive and I would not recommend working with them.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: March 24, 2021

We purchased a DR Horton home one year ago and despite identifying issues during build, then again during our 30 day walkthrough and now during our 11 month walk through, several issues are still unresolved. We have serious grading issues causing ground erosion and water pooling throughout our yard. Our driveway is now also damaged due to the water flow underneath it. We also have overlapping doors and have been repeatedly told that this is “per plan” yet model homes do not have this issue. We were also told that our radon pipe that ends INSIDE the attic is “by design”. There is no ventilation system to remove the radon gas from our attic. We have other sub par building and insulation issues throughout our home. While we love our home and the floor plan, it’s a shame that DR Horton does not do a better job during initial builds or resolve the deficiencies that impact the health, happiness and safety of the families who buy their homes.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Original review: March 21, 2021

I purchased my beautiful new townhouse about 3 yrs ago!..I have had nothing but problems, balcony pane is just peeling off (no undercoat)... Water-heater broke. Cost me $1,500 to replace..Window frame is broken (can’t open it now)..Floor covering has come up & is some places split..Washing machine needs replacing...I can go on & on...Horton has said I have no warranty!...I am an older widow & was hoping I was going to be fairly maintenance free but I have to pay dearly for these repairs..I feel that it’s unjust..Why doesn’t Horton take responsibility?

D.R. Horton Homes Company Information