Call toll free
4.41/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 1956, Clayton Homes has been helping families build happiness through homeownership. We are committed to providing affordable, quality homes with a diverse range of builder offerings. Our homes include traditional, modular, tiny and manufactured homes, as well as apartments, military barracks and college dormitories. We are recognized as an innovator in our industry and pride ourselves on our integrity and reputation. Contact Clayton Homes today to own your own slice of the world to call home.

Clayton Homes Gallery (4)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1657 Clayton Homes Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 28, 2019

My nephew and my grandson went with me and we were trying to get to Albuquerque. This was in December 16 and it was so snowed out. We couldn’t get through. We turned around and we were gonna go back to Winslow where we were staying and my grandson asked if we could go to Chino Valley. So, late in the afternoon, we got down there and Clayton Homes were the first properties that we saw. I looked around and it was perfect. So, my nephew said that we should go down a little more. Maybe we could find out more about them and see if they had any homes for sale. We stopped at Clayton Homes and started looking at the models.

The rep offered us a snack and he said that if we wanted, he could tell us good places to go for dinner. He showed us homes, layouts and insurances that were available. He didn’t sell anything. He just showed us everything we wanted to see. It sold itself. We put down payments on three of them that afternoon. One for each of us. The home buying process with Clayton Homes was so simple and easy. Matt was the best-informed and the most reasonable. He was on top of everything. Sharon was great and the owner, Dave, was incredible. Even Jay, the manager who came out to survey the property, spent more time with me so we could figure out the layout of the house. Eddie was right on top of any questions I had.

I had plenty of customization. I wanted the soaker tub, instead of the regular. I didn’t want a back door, so I got an area where I could put in a freezer or a sink in the utility room. I didn’t want any carpeting at all, so they traded me the shutters that were in there, for putting in the wood floor. Then, when we were signing the deal, they said that they would give me the mini-blinds for free. I loved it. Everything about the experience was 100% over the top.

I was out there by myself because we were trying to sell my house here in Hemet. At 1:30 in the morning on a Sunday, the winds were blowing at 60 miles an hour and there was rain. I couldn’t hear a thing in my bedroom which showed how well-made they are. But I heard this drip and I got up and looked all over for it. Finally, I was ready to turn off the bathroom light and there was water in the tub. I looked up and I saw it coming in the mini-blinds. I called the rep, Matt, and he answered the phone. He told me he would take care of it.

He sent out two emails to the owners, one to Jay, the project manager, and one to Eddie, who does all the repairs. Eddie called me at 9 o’clock the next morning. He said he got the email and asked if it was okay to come out. He took down the fascia and pulled out the caulking. He told me what happened. They had multiple homes that were all alike, and they caulked some of them for Northern Arizona and some for Southern. They did that on a Thursday. On Friday, they hauled my home up here and it didn’t even have a chance to stick or dry. He took out all the caulking and the windows. He dried everything off, put it back, put on the fresh caulking and the fascia back up, and repainted. He came in the house and did the same thing with those windows. He dried up the floors and left two towels out because he was not sure what was gonna happen with the two. He said they should be okay, but it was where most of the water came in.

There are 11 windows in the house and he did 7 of them. He said that they never had problems with those windows above the sink and the washer and dryer. I asked how often they have these kinda problems and he said that they did 88 homes last year and only had problems with 5. I have not had a problem with it since. I have recommended Clayton to friends. I have friends who are going out with me in August, right at the hottest part of the year, because they don’t believe how nice the temperature is where I live. I've invited all of my friends to come out and stay so they can actually see it and see where it is.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for the positive feedback, Katherine! We're so happy to hear that you came across us in Chino Valley and ended up buying a home. Congratulations!

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I had a disappointing experience with the Clayton dealership in Sulphur Springs. My daughter-in-law and son had bought a home from them and they had nothing but problems. I also had a problem while I was there and it ended up being a big mess. I couldn’t get anything to get anywhere. I had gone back to them right before I purchased the home and they strung me along for about two weeks. They tried to put me in something that I didn’t even want or like. They said, “Well, it's a home,” and I told them I'm not gonna pay for something I don’t want.

One day, I went into the dealership in Texarkana to see what they had. The salesman there said, “Oh, we can get you into this house for under $60,000, blah, blah, blah.” I said okay, then I left. I thought about it and said to myself, “I'm gonna call back and talk to the manager.” I called back and talked to Leon and he was absolutely the best thing that fell out of the sky that day. He was amazing. He said, “Come back up here. I'll walk you around. We'll find you something. We'll find you something you like.” We went back up there a few weeks later. We were walking around and I saw the trailer that I had seen at the Sulphur Springs dealership. I loved that trailer -- the layout, look, and everything. I said that I love that one, but I also said that their salesman already told me they can't do that one. He asked, “Why not,” and I said that I didn’t know.

We started talking and he asked how I was gonna do it. I said that I was gonna pay cash and he said, “Well, it's that much big difference.” Nobody else had let me get me that far. He said that they could do it and that he could get me a discount. We ended up doing the paperwork. We got it done and cut in the check. Not even three weeks later, they were bringing my house out and it was amazing from the beginning until the end that I got the one I wanted. I got the one that I was in love with and I got to deal with somebody like him and got to meet him. I feel blessed because he was absolutely the best, the sweetest person I've ever met.

I've given great reviews to Clayton in Texarkana because of the fact Leon went above and beyond. As a salesman or as a dealership manager, he didn’t even have to get involved and he didn’t even have to do anything. He could have just let it go. He was so pleasant and so nice to deal with. He was an awesome person. The guys in the office were really sweet and very helpful, and always wanting to know how things are going. I would really love to nominate Leon or whatever I'll have to do to get him some recognition for the work that he has done. I called with a complaint and he was on it. The stove was messed up and he was on it. He has been fantastic and I really would like to see him get the recognition he deserves.

I picked the home up straight off the lot. There were some things that were different, like the refrigerator, that were different from what I had picked out. I didn’t choose any colors, flooring, and carpet. I fell in love with the house just as it was set up. It had a very rustic farmhouse style to it. It was called the Anniversary, but they changed the name of it now to the Farmhouse. It had the farmhouse sink and a lot of cute little neat stuff. However, we had a little bad problem with the snow. We had a guy come out and tell us, “Oh, it's this. Oh, it's that,” and supposedly fixed it, but not even two weeks later, we had somebody else come back out to do the same thing again. After about three times, we finally got one and so far, it has not messed up since we got it replaced. They brought us a different unit all together and it has been fine ever since. There have been no problems, no issues.

The dishwasher is still messed up, though. It will not do the heated dry cycle at all and it is getting to where it is not washing really good. I'm gonna give Leon a call and see if he can send someone out. He is very good about getting on the problem and getting it solved, and that is what I liked. He is a man of action and when he finds out there is something wrong, he takes care of it. He is amazing. I feel blessed from the moment I walked in the door and talked to him until now. I feel lucky because I had a great salesman. If I hadn't dealt with him, I wouldn’t have the house right now.

I love the house overall, although there were just a couple of things. We've had some appliance issues with the stove and we had one with the refrigerator freezing up on the inside and not doing what it was supposed to do. But other than the appliances, I'm totally happy with this house and I couldn’t be happier. We got an extended warranty and mine is around eight years. It covers everything, so we are pretty set on that and I'm glad I did it because, with the stove issues, you never know. Just because you buy something new doesn’t mean it might not be defective.

Toni,

We are sorry to hear that your experience with our Sulphur Springs Home Center did not meet your families expectations. Home Ownership is a very special thing and we want to make sure every Clayton customer feels the same way when interacting with Clayton. We would like to reach out to you to learn more about your experience.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I stuck with one person to cut down on some of the confusion in purchasing a modular home. So, I went with Clayton Homes. I had a good salesman, Monroe, who worked hand in hand with me and explained everything as I went along. I was impressed with his congeniality. He was also very complimentary and he sucked me right in. The relationship between me and Clayton's salespeople was very good and they’re nice people to have in the community. Clayton's overall process was also good and they kept me notified.

But at the manufacturing level, they must’ve hired all the incompetence from miles around. I have a tub and they put a wood skirt around it. They also put in a new outlet. But the ventilation system is not working right and the master bedroom is very cold. They came yesterday and put in another ventilation duct in the floor. So it was a little better last night, but not really good. There are still some major problems here that somebody’s gonna have to deal with. But every time the fan comes on to heat the place, the return air is so high that it sucks air right in through from the outside. I had to get the AC people to explain that to me. I’ve been working with Clayton Homes here in Spotsylvania and they've been very cooperative and sympathetic to the problems. They also sent somebody right out. But these things keep showing up.

When I came in in the bedroom, the electrical outlet was hanging out of the wall. Somebody just somehow stuck the receptacle in there and didn’t nail it down to a stand. Apparently, when they unplugged their Sawzall from a nearby receptacle, they pulled the receptacle right out of the wall. There has been a lot of stuff like that. Plus, I need to address the issue with the insulation in my ventilation piping. I also had a little trouble with the air conditioning not being what I thought it would be. The bill payer is uncomfortable. Aside from that, my front and my back storm doors won’t close and they never fit right from the get-go. They hit the door casing and as far as doors, I had to slam on past that to get the storm door to close.

So far, I had 27 items that were pretty well took care of. Clayton got people down here and they were good people. They had no attitudes or anything like that. Right now, I’m about to launch a new punch list in a new billing. That's when they finish putting the building together, then everybody goes to work and develop some punch list of discrepancy or problems and submit it back to the contractor. I got a five-year guarantee on everything and I’m just playing along with the way they’re working and we’ll get them all fixed eventually.

But my point of view is that I bought a new house with all new appliances and equipment, and all should be practically new. But Clayton does not have a good professional inspector, particularly with this house. It went out with a lot of discrepancies and I didn’t expect some of the problems that I'm coming up with now. It makes me wonder whether the people that are in the office understand what’s going on in the field. I talked with the salesman about coming out in the house and he said he has never been out to the house. All he does is sell them.

Clayton has more than one person out there running the show anyhow and these are some things that somebody in the upper echelon needs to look at in Clayton Homes as far as quality control. Everything looks good when you get it, but it ain’t so good. I’m not trying to make any noise though. I just wanna get what I paid for and get down the road. But I’ve never been angry about anything. Their reps were very cordial to talk to at the home site and mostly, I was very satisfied the people at Clayton. But I don’t like the people they hire to do the skilled work. They certainly aren’t very skilled. I got a bath tub sent here right next to an outside wall that has no siding between me and the outside. So, that is one situation. I’ve been trying to get things straightened out since last May when we went to closing and things are moving along slowly. But they did get the first list worked out back in November.

Clayton Homes response

Glenn, we sincerely appreciate your detailed feedback. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of your information with us! We're glad to hear that your home buying experience went so well. However, we're very sorry to hear about all of the issues you've had with your home. As far as the ongoing issues you're having, we are going to follow up with your Home Center and Home Building Facility and someone will be in touch shortly. Thank you again, this type of information is very crucial for our company in bettering our processes.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

When I decided to purchase a home, I checked out Clayton and other home manufacturers. The other manufacturers didn't seem like they were built as well as Clayton Homes, so I stuck with Clayton. I checked in to have a home built, but it was more reasonable for me to have the Clayton Home put down, 'cause I was retiring, and I didn't want a big house now. For the price and structure, I felt like it was a good bang for the buck. The home buying process took a while with the finances, but it was good after all that was said and done. Their rep was helpful and even if I didn't get to talk to her too much when I last dealt with her, she's very concerned about any issues that we had in the house. She pointed out a few things that we may have overlooked to make sure that everything was covered that might have been scratched, and we went over all of that kind of stuff.

George over at Clayton Homes where we bought was very helpful and he did a fantastic job working with us. He can answer any questions we had and he stuck with us, 'cause we've been trying for close to two years before we have got it. It took so long because at the time we were starting to finance it, my daughter was still in college, and I had a parent loan. At the time, the parent loan doesn't come until she ends school so the question with the finance company was how much was I gonna be paying a month for the parent loan part, and I couldn't tell them because she wasn’t out of school at the time. But once she's finished, then I negotiated with the student loan people and everything was fine.

We've also had some issues with the paint peeling on the cabinets, and we brought it to their attention. We sent pictures to George and the lady, and the lady dealt with the factory people. The factory people came out and replaced all the cabinet doors that were peeling. They worked hard and did a great job. The cabinets, after they left and all, they need to do the same thing. They even brought new indoor doors because some of them were scratched and minor damaged. When I shut them against the door stopper thing, the wood that goes all the way down the door to keep you from going past and when you shut it, it hits the bottom of that wood. It was off for about a quarter inch, and it was closed at the top. But they brought new doors and replaced all of them.

However, when they brought them from the factory on the truck, there wasn't any paper or cardboard between the doors. It had the tendency to scratch on it so the doors they put on was in a worse shape than the ones that were originally on there. I went on ahead and rehung all the old doors back myself after they had left and brought it to their attention when they came back out with some more doors, but it was like the same thing. They still just stacked them on top of each other. They ended up fixing the main thing that was in the hallway where the two spare bedrooms were by taking the door off in the doorframe and fixing the doorframe 'cause it was the problem and not the door. They fixed all that and got it all painted back.

There are still some issues because of the problem with those particular type of white cabinet. After a period of a little time, the paint kinda chips on them and they're not paintable. If they were painted, we're gonna have brush streaks on them. Right now, they're smooth but they're trying to figure out an alternative on how they're gonna fix the cabinets and they're supposed to send a crew back out to handle that. Overall, their product is sturdy and not cheap, and I feel happy with the quality of our home. If someone asks me about Clayton Homes, I will tell them it was a wise choice to go with them. We spent more to make sure that it was energy efficient, and we had to upgrade on a lot of stuff in there, but it was well worth it. I would highly recommend them over anybody else.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback, Stephen. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed working with George and that your home buying experience went well. The financing can be complicated, but thank you for sticking with us! The information you provided about the cabinets and how your replacements were transported is very beneficial! We will make sure this feedback gets in the right hands. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

We started with Clayton Homes in Lexington around 2014, but before that, we've been going down to Sanford and we saw Vanderbilt Homes, Clayton Homes, and Country Fair Homes. We looked at all of those, then we came back to Clayton Homes and we finally saw what we liked. Their price was better as well. The first one we went to was down in Sanford, where we first saw Clayton Homes, but we realized there was Clayton Homes right here in Lexington, so we went to the Lexington location instead. Everybody in the office was great to us, not only our personal sales rep. When we walked in and had questions to ask and if our rep wasn’t there, everybody would be willing to answer any questions we had.

We started looking and decided that we do some changes with the house, and they were willing to work with us. They went to the manufacturer with answers they didn’t know and the head guy from the manufacturer came up to Clayton Homes here in Lexington and sat down with me to let me know what I could or couldn’t do. They did everything I wanted and did a bunch of changes for me. We absolutely love the house. Not only that, they are really good too. If we have a problem, I've called them and within some time the next day or within two days, they have somebody out there. The problems had been minor and we haven't had anything major at all.

We customized the family room that was a living room and it had a dining room at the end of it. It also had a doorway to go into the hallway and to the kitchen. They let me take the little half wall out and get rid of the dining room. It's all family room now as you walk in. They also let me do a half wall, but I wanted to make it into a foyer since the house didn’t have one. It was just a walk-in to a living room area. Then, they let me take up part of the columns that were in the archway because I didn’t want the column.

Some of the big changes were where the family room was. At the end of the kitchen, I made that a dining area with a glass slider door instead of windows because I don’t need a living room and a family room. We needed a bigger family room because of all the kids in the family we have when we have them over. So, right now, the way with my archway here between the family room and the kitchen and when all the families are here in the family room, I can see and talk to all of them while I'm doing stuff in the kitchen. It's very family-oriented and everything is so easy to get to. I also rearranged the kitchen a bit. I wanted two ovens, so I've got a slide-in range and, on the end of the wall, I have an oven and a microwave over the top of it into a cabinet. They let me put a pantry in my kitchen as well.

We also put another pantry at the end for the dining room. One whole wall is nothing but a huge pantry for dishes. I put dishes and party supplies in it. They also let me rearrange the master bathroom. I changed it all around. I took the tub out and put a larger shower stall in there. I also made a private party area. And being a woman, I wanted a sink and a vanity, so on one side of the wall, we had two double sinks. I did a sink and a vanity for me and, on the other wall, we did a 30-inch sink for my husband and a linen closet. The house was so customized. Everybody who walks into it really likes it. We've had people stop by after we moved in and they asked if they could come in and look at it. Also, in this house, you can't hear it when it rains outside and the house is very well insulated. In the winter time, it is very warm and during this hot summer, it's great. I only have the air conditioning set on 75 and it's cool in here.

Clayton Homes worked with us in every aspect. We were coming down every couple of months talking to Clayton Homes and seeing what they could do. I had another place that was gonna do some stuff for me, but Clayton Homes was right here and everybody was really nice. There isn’t a person in that office that wasn’t nice to us and still is. I've been recommending them to several people. There's one couple that really wants this house, but they can't afford it. We got a heck of a price compared to when we were looking down in Sanford. They worked with us and really gave us a great price. The house had one price on it and I customized it which brought it up a bit more, but it was worth it. We still feel we came out of hand every bit of the stuff they did to it and we really got a great deal.

Clayton Homes response

Toni, we LOVED reading your review! Thank you so much for the kind words and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're thrilled that you loved working with our Lexington Home Center and that you were able to customize your home to meet your exact needs. Congratulations on your new home and thanks again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: July 16, 2019

Clayton hooked up everything really well and my experience with them was great. But I wasn’t satisfied with the skirting on there and they came back out and did some more work on it. Other than that, they had my home set up quickly and they did a good job all the way around. The consultants I worked with also explained the process a couple of times to me. They went over everything with me and told me what was what. They even kept calling asking how I was and I told them I was fine.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Clayton Homes happened to have an office in our town and my experience with Taylor, the home consultant, was great. There was no BS. It was pretty much straight talk and he answered all our questions. I was very comfortable working with him through the process. For the home, we went with vinyl floors all the way through and we put in a handicap shower and toilet in the small bathroom. The quality of the build is fair. There are some issues with the home but Clayton Homes is working their best to work through that. They handle things pretty well too. We’ve had the service guy out here several times and he’s excellent. The service manager is good too.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Everything was good with Clayton Homes. They showed us the house and the lender that we were very good with. They helped us throughout the whole contract period. William who works there was fantastic. If there is a problem, John is right there and he fixes it in a snap. Nothing’s perfect but he kinda smoothed out everything. We’ve been in our home for a couple of months now, and it’s great. The only thing we did down here in South Carolina was something we really need which are ceiling fans. Other than that, everything was there. We didn't have to do anything. The porch that came with it was good. We just bought the back porch. We have dogs, so we had to put a fenced-off play area in the back yard.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 22, 2019

Purchasing a home through Clayton went well. However, I've been finding several things wrong. There have been leaks in the sinks and in the piping I tried to hook my refrigerator up and turn the water on and the water was coming out of the connector. Also, when I turned my hot water heater on, it wasn't working. So, I had to pull a panel off it. Clayton left the hot water tank disconnected from the electric. Additionally, the plugs in the living room weren't working. The extended laundry room also didn't have any extra plugs except for the electrical plugs for the dryer and washer. In the bathroom, there were no soap dishes nor towel brackets around the shower. There were no medicine cabinets either. Every time I would call, Clayton's reps pulled out on me. They just did a very poor job.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience, Jesse. We're sorry to hear that your customer experience seemed to taper off after you purchased the home. We are going to touch base with your Home Center and Home Building Facility regarding the issues you've experienced with the home. We'd like to see if there is anything we can do to help. Someone will be in touch with you shortly!

Original review: June 21, 2019

I heard that Clayton is a reputable place. And I went ahead with them because of their price, quality and customer service. The home consultant, Tara, has the willingness to help, and I was impressed by all her knowledge. The quality of the build is also pretty darn good. I would definitely go with Clayton.

Clayton Homes response

We love to hear that, Jeremy! Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your awesome home buying experience! We're going to make sure Tara and her team hear that you enjoyed working with her! Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 20, 2019

Considering the combination of the quality of the home itself and the sales team at Clayton, I decided to purchase from them and was satisfied with the process. They gave me an opportunity to sit with the sales team, the manager, the guy who was in charge of the installation, and they thoroughly explained it. Also, the salesperson that I dealt with was willing to take all the time in the world to show me every home they had. After the sale, she gave me a nice little gift basket with lots of goodies that were appropriate for what I was using it for. She was very nice and helpful. Every time I called her, she answered the phone and helped me through whatever I was dealing with. And then when the home got on site, we removed the fresh air intake of the air conditioning system and changed a panel on the roof. I was satisfied with my purchase and thus far, my home meets my needs. I was also satisfied with the delivery process. Everything was smooth as ice.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for the awesome feedback, Christopher! We're so glad to hear that everything went smoothly for you during your home buying process and the delivery! It sounds like your salesperson really went above and beyond for you, which is exactly what we want to hear. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 20, 2019

We were very satisfied with our experience buying a home from Clayton. We found them through Facebook and they were very good with communicating with us. Any time we had a question, they got right back with us. They were very attentive. They did a great job. We did a lot of add-ons for our home and they did everything. They also did the septic water power. I’ve already recommended Clayton.

Clayton Homes response

We're satisfied that you're satisfied, Ashley! It's so kind of you to take the time to share your experience with us. It sounds like your Home Center took great care of you! We sincerely appreciate your recommendation! Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 19, 2019

I heard about Clayton through a brother and the company's excellent customer service made me choose them over another builder. I picked one of the homes that they already have and went through a simple buying process. They took good care of me and I was satisfied with everything. I highly recommend them.

Clayton Homes response

That's great to hear, Ethan! Thanks for sharing! We're so glad to hear you're happy with the customer service you received. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 18, 2019

Everybody in my family lives in a Clayton home. And having seen the process and how it worked, I was comfortable going through Clayton Homes too. I got a display model, and it was perfect the way it was. It's well-built and very well-insulated. The only thing I hate about my house is that they put really cheap carpet on it. I’ve had the house going eight months, and I can already tell that the carpet needs to be replaced. Other than that, I’m greatly satisfied with my home buying process. If I was to sell my house today, I would go right back to Clayton Homes and start all over again. The Asheboro Clayton Homes really stood behind me, especially Aaron and Bill.

Bill knew what my budget was and where I had to be. He also knew how bad I wanted the house that I got, and he made it happen. He pulled all strings possible. I went and saw him on a Saturday, and he told me that it would probably be Wednesday before he knew something. By Monday morning, he asked me if I could go there and put some money down on the house so he could hold the one on display, and I said yes. I left work early and went down there, and had a little money to put down on it and said, “Don't let nobody get to that house.”

Clayton Homes response

Wow! We love to hear that your whole family is happy with Clayton, Dustin! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us and for giving us your feedback on the home. We're going to pass along the information you provided about your carpet to our Home Building Group. Information like this is very important for us and can help us better our processes. We're especially glad to hear you enjoyed working with Aaron and Bill! Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 18, 2019

I needed a place to stay, so I looked and found Clayton Homes. It’s a bigger name compared to other places and my experience buying from them wasn’t too bad. They were patient with me and worked with me to get stuff done. I couldn’t spend too much and I told them about my budget, so I guess they went with the cheapest route with everything. There's a lot of plastic and cheaper materials. You get what you pay for.

Clayton Homes response

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback, Edsel. We're glad to hear that your Home Center worked with you to get everything done that you needed and that they helped you stay within your budget. Your feedback on the materials used in the home is useful for us as well, and we'll be passing it along to our Home Building Group.

Original review: June 17, 2019

We checked out Clayton Homes when we were down in the valley and we liked the layout and the way the homes were constructed. We really liked Nora, too. She was very good and she explained 100% about our home purchase. We were very satisfied with the process, as well as the cost of the home that we bought. It was delivered in November, and so far, we’re really enjoying it. It’s our winter home when we go down to Texas, and we’re just in it for five months, but we’re very satisfied with it. There were a few odds and ends that they did, probably from delivery from Waco down into Weslaco, and Clayton took care of it all. We’ve already recommended them to a friend.

Clayton Homes response

We're so glad to hear that you are happy with your home buying process and that you enjoyed working with Nora! Thank you for taking the time to share that with us, Patty! Clayton considers customer referrals to be the ultimate compliment, so we're especially flattered that you've already recommended us to a friend. Congratulations on your new home!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 16, 2019

We lost our home in Hurricane Harvey. We were devastated. We owned our home and were not looking forward to having a 30 year mortgage but hey, you do what you gotta do right. Well after looking and looking and looking we decided to buy a NEW mobile home. We do not have kids, it is just me and my husband. We decided on the Tru Home Elation. We were so so EXCITED. The sales people were pleasant and helped to speed the process along as much as possible but we were living with my brother and it was time!!!!

After months of trying to get everything finished we FINALLY moved in. There were problems that were addressed semi-quickly. There was a crack in the ceiling (fixed), there was rippling on the bathroom and kitchen floor (fixed), the backlight was missing (fixed after 4 phone calls and visits), missing trim (fixed). BIG ISSUE: When we got the septic and the AC put in, the installers had to get under the house to hook up the electrical. IT WAS SO SO HARD to hook up!!!! Couldn't get through the black stuff, got the wires stuck in the wall. It was seriously ridiculous.

A days after living here we noticed that the bathroom/bedroom wall had mold at the bottom of it. My husband took the wall panel down and saw that the PIPES WERE NEVER HOOKED UP... Literally!!! We had been using the master bath shower. The Master bath had an issue with the faucets. Clayton replaced them, wrong pipes, stuck out of the wall by 3 inches. Came out again fixed it, didn't seal it (my husband had to). A week later we see mold at the bottom of the wall in the bedroom. Fixed that.

Honestly the mobile home is put together VERY cheaply. The doors didn't shut correctly. The front door did WOULD NOT shut all the way. That was fixed, the the back door did the same thing. Finally got that fixed. The interior doors will not stay opened all the way and the gap at the bottom of the doors are HUGE. It also makes it easier to see how uneven the doors are.

Under the sink the water has leaked 3 or 4 times. My husband has fixed it every time as we could not keep taking off work to have them come out to "maybe fix it". The fridge had a HUGE dent in it and it took an act of congress to get that corrected. The skirting is seriously misaligned. There are HUGE gaps at the top or the bottom. The carpet is Super thin and after 1 year of living in it, (taking off our shoes every time we come in the house) the carpet needs to be replaced. I do understand that things happen when the homes are moved and set into place BUT... The pipes not being hooked up and the faucets being messed up. It has been a headache.

That being said. I would not recommend this home to anyone. I did my homework on MOST things but I figured a mobile home is a mobile home. The home we lost was a mobile home built in the 80's and it was SO much more durable than this one. Now I am in a LONG mortgage payment in a home that I will be lucky to keep in good condition with no MAJOR overhaul for another 3 years. Wish I would have known but hindsight is 2020!!!!

Clayton Homes response

Alicia, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience and about your home. We're sorry to hear about all of the quality concerns you've had regarding your home. A member of our Customer Advocacy Team is going to get in touch with your Home Center and Home Building Facility to see what options there are. Someone will be in touch with you shortly!

Original review: June 16, 2019

My dad and I are both widows, and I got tired of trying to call him and he wouldn’t answer the phone. I was renting a house in Houston and I would have to go and check on him at home, which is about four-and-a-half-hour drive from here. So, I told him that we're gonna sell the house and then he would live with me. And then, I searched around and found Clayton Homes. For a lot of reasons, I chose them over other companies, one being that I used to build homes and I had looked at their blueprint, how the home was constructed and how everything was made. The home was solid and steeled. And my electric bill ain’t nothing but $62 to $67 a month, and I run an AC unit. But the deciding factor for me was Elvia, the sales lady over on I-10. She was really good. She would talk to you and make sure you’re all right and everything is working fine. She even calls me now and I tell her everything is fine with our home.

I also like her attitude for not lying. I could tell when a person is lying and just wants to sell something, and she didn't do that. We looked at several options to finance our home and I asked her, to which she said that she was not supposed to act on it. And then I asked her with whom do most people get financed. I told her that I wanna know the information. I’m not a computer-illiterate, and I had done computers, I just don’t trust them. And then, she turned around and told me what a lot of people do. She was really honest about it. That’s the biggest thing.

We went with their red tag special, something they wanna get rid of. It’s just me and my dad, and we both looked at it, and it's good. The only thing he was telling me was that there's a crack and he could see through the door. I told him that this house has been traveling down a road, and once we get settled, we would readjust everything. That’s no big thing. Other than that, it was the best construction I’ve ever seen. We built a 50-foot porch on the back so we can have a deck and everybody up here looked at my home and keeps on asking. And I tell them, “Go see Elvia on I-10 over there.”

Clayton Homes response

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, Earl. It's so great to hear that you and your dad are together now and that the home is working out well for you. We are definitely going to let Elvia and her team know that you enjoyed working with her! It sounds like she took great care of you. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 15, 2019

The gentleman from Clayton Homes who worked with us made everything very easy to understand, and he was very available for questions. His name was Austin. He was amazing. We went in and we were looking for modular homes, and they were explaining that they didn’t have them. But he was like, “You know what? If you wanna look, I can let you look around.” And he took us through several homes. We really wanna go modular. So, we left. And then a few months later, we went back. He was very patient with us to work through what we were wanting. He showed us all the different lines and different price points. And then he let us stew over it for about a month, and then we got back with him.

He was very knowledgeable and knew what he was talking about. And with the few things he didn’t, he went and got answers for us. He texted and corresponded with us even when he wasn’t at work. If he got a notification when he was off, he was like, “Hey, they just told me that this part of the house is done,” or “That part of your house is done,” or “Somebody called me and asked this question. What do you think?” So, even when it wasn’t his regular working hours, he was involved with us.

Also, the buying process was great and easy. We had a few custom things that we wanted and they worked hard to get it done for us. We got a custom shower put in with tile work, and we got a custom front door put in, and they were great too. They laid all of that out for us. The delivery and set-up were great. It was only the lights that took a long time because of the rain. But that wasn’t anybody’s fault. They worked quick.

They did have a lady come clean the house, and she did not do a great job. But that doesn’t reflect negatively on Austin himself. Whoever they had do the housecleaning did not clean. The floors were covered in white powder. So, we had to come in and do a ton of cleaning. Their cleaning person did not really clean at all. She vacuumed and swept, and that was about it. Other than that, the few repair issues that we’ve had were taken care of quickly. Austin even checked with us a time or two like, “Hey, how’s it going? Are y’all happy? We really liked him.

Clayton Homes response

That's so great to hear, Kelcy! We're glad to know that you enjoyed working with Austin throughout your home buying process. Purchasing a home is a big decision, so it's great to know that he really gave you all the time to think on it. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 14, 2019

I was out looking for houses and I rode by Clayton Homes. They’ve been around for a long time, and so I picked them over others thinking that I would rather go with a stable company. They’re doing something right if they’ve been in business for that long. I picked one of the homes and everything turned out good. I like the kitchen the most, because it’s an island, and then they have lots of outlets. Linda made the process very easy, and she kept in contact with me and always returned calls when I called her. And I love working with Delmar. The team there was great and very helpful.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for the positive feedback, Stephanie! We love hearing that you're happy with your home and that you enjoyed working with Linda to purchase it! Lots of outlets in the kitchen is important for all sorts of cooking gadgets, right?! Congratulations on your new home, we're so glad you love it!

Original review: June 13, 2019

Buying my home through Clayton was a very easy process for me. I knew about them by word of mouth and looking around, and it was their customer service that got me decided on them. The manager who helped me was good. I like his personality and the way he worked with me. He stayed on top of getting things done, getting set up, and the construction part of it. And then, being a contractor, I've done most of the building stuff myself. Then when we got done and completed, we had a couple of things we needed fixed. Clayton sent their technicians out and accommodated us perfectly, and worked with us on our time frame. My wife is very happy with everything. I would recommend Clayton.

Clayton Homes response

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us, Bruce! It's so great to hear from customers who are happy with their home buying process and their home itself. A happy wife is very important, right?! We're glad she loves the home as well. Thank you so much for the stamp of approval, and congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 12, 2019

We moved into our Clayton Homes 9 months ago. The Clayton Rep (Alcoa TN office) went over the home and created a punch list with us at the time of move in. We called a month later to find out when they were coming to correct those punch list items. We were told in a few weeks. We called again to remind them to come out. We have not heard from anyone since then.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for letting us know, Jacqueline! We're very sorry to hear that your follow up service is not being addressed as promptly as we would hope. A member of our Customer Advocacy Department will be in touch with you shortly.

Original review: June 12, 2019

My old trailer was a Clayton home and I like the way they're built correctly and the design process. I recently purchased a new one and had a good experience through the process. We shopped around and found the one that we liked and that suited us, and everything was good. Nick and Mark have been more than extremely helpful. Even the guys that brought the trailer in were all good. And Mark and Nick are still in contact with me. There were a few adjustments on stuff they needed to make and a couple of small repairs, but it's not a big deal. Everything was handled professionally and quickly. The guys that they sent out were also really friendly. They explained everything, what they were doing and they did it. They cleaned up their mess, and they did a good job. I was more than happy. It has been a great experience.

Clayton Homes response

That's so great to hear, Gary! It sounds like you had a wonderful home buying experience with Nick and Mark! We especially love to hear that all of your follow up service was handled professionally and quickly. It's important for you to feel as comfortable in your new home as possible. Thank you so much for sharing with us and congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I was looking for a place to live but what I saw was just crap. I figured it might be cheaper to get a new home. I was looking at manufactured homes and Clayton Homes came about. I put down money on Clayton and I had to find a lot being their home is a manufactured one. I was looking all around and I got an appointment to come here and look at this place. The owner said there was a Clayton home set up at the park that was turnkey ready. I looked at it, walked in the door, and fell in love with the floors. The view outside has trees too. That was it and I moved here from Arizona. I like my home.

In the 30 days that I was looking for a place in Arizona, I found it so disgusting that they would sell you a dirty rotten bathtub. In the places I looked at, the ceilings were caving in and the floors were all warped. Some of the places were unsafe. My real estate agent there wouldn't even come in and take pictures. She wouldn't list it unless it was clean. And then I had to buy insurance. He basically pushed into buying insurance to guarantee that all the fixtures and appliances worked in the house for the next person. But the people here don't do that. There is no guarantee and everything is as is.

Clark was my rep and he was excellent. He wasn't pushy and there was no pressure. After I got in the place and moved in, I'd call up and ask where this or that is. Clark would answer me. I couldn't find the water heater as it is hidden in a closet behind a wall. I wanted to turn it up or turn it down, but I had to unscrew all the weird looking screws. They are like square. The water and the electricity didn't get turned on so they put me in a hotel in Knoxville which was nice. I got really sick and that was a few days after I moved in. I was in the hospital for 11 days. The only person I knew was Clark and he went out of his way for me. He went to my house and got my cellphone along with a few other things I asked him for.

When the doorknob fell off, Clayton's people came out and fixed that. They also fixed the top of the siding that was sticking out. But they didn't fix the skirting at the bottom that surrounds the siding. They don't guarantee that so I had to call a handyman because when the skirting was cut, it was done too short. It kept flipping off in the wind. That ticked me off because that was $168 for the handyman. Overall, the process was good. But Clayton mailed the title to my old address in Arizona so it took me a while to get the title of my place. I guess Clayton got that mailing address and my physical address.

Clayton Homes response

We're so glad to hear how satisfied you are, Diana! Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your home and your experience purchasing it. We love that you love your floors, and the view too! Congratulations on your new home!

Rated with 2 starsResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: June 11, 2019

We bought our home from the Rocky Mount N.C. Clayton Homes. The buying process was easy however getting repairs done have been a huge hassle. I've had windows replaced that are still not correct, dishwasher still not right, door casings not correct. Also my mantel doesn't match is not same colors. My favorite part when buying the home was the ranch style trim which was done awful.

We've had lots more issues which some have been fixed. However for example our trim work keeps coming away from walls only to have folks come out and renail the same exact pieces up 20 times now filled with nail holes, gaps between pieces of trim because everybody that seems to come out refuses to replace it, or cut it the correct length so it doesn't keep coming off walls nor do they care half of it around door frames is being shot up with nothing behind it. This past week in order to fix the gaps in between two pieces where it was cut incorrect a year ago when placed up the helper was told by his boss with him to fill in the gaps with markers.

There are also lumps under carpets that I'm constantly being told is carpet padding - not to mention carpet seams haven't been corrected. It's been little over a year and my home still isn't fixed. We didn't buy a home only to move in it and year later still having issues. Most that are sent try to say most things are normal or patch things only for it to fall back down or apart within a few hours or days. There are a few more issues but these are just a few. Let's also not forget the constant run around with what is factory responsibility or dealers. We bought the home and repair issues shouldn't be such a hassle. It is their responsibility to delegate who is responsible for which items.

Clayton Homes response

BJ, we're sorry to hear about the ongoing issues you're experiencing with your home. A member of our Customer Advocacy Team will be in touch shortly with more information.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I started looking online for reputable home dealerships in this area but I live in the middle of nowhere so there’s nothing actually right by me. Clayton Homes came up in my Facebook as ad with like $8,000 worth of energy efficient upgrades for free. So we went up there and checked it out. We found a house that we liked but we ended up getting a different one because they had one in Artesia that was ready to go and it was a lot closer than having to wait from Albuquerque. But the people that we dealt with were all in Albuquerque and we ended up closing on it about three months earlier than we had planned on.

Everything was great throughout the home buying process and my home consultant was amazing. Marie was very nice and down to earth. We had already picked one out but before we had the appointment to sign everything, my husband had a heart attack so we had to push it off for a couple of weeks. She was very compassionate and willing to work with us on not being able to get out there right away. It is three hours away.

The only dissatisfaction that we had was we had ordered a gas model and it wasn’t until the day that the one in Artesia was shipped that we were told that it wasn’t gas. It was electric but it was fine. They had said that we would get a $550 prepaid card for Lowe’s to get a gas stove once everything had been completed and the loan has been financed. But we never received that. When we called about it, they told us we would just have to go and pick one out then they would pay for it. We were gonna buy one during Black Friday because Lowe's had a really nice one on sale for $550. It was knocked down like 300 bucks. But the loan hadn’t completely closed yet. We had thought about using our own money to do it but thankfully, we didn’t. We’ve just been waiting until they go on sale again.

The home has been in place since November and we’ve already got weather-stripping issues and shingles falling off. We were also told that the type of foundation that they were putting it on was guaranteed to not shift, and it has. There are places where when you walk in it, it squeaks. Plus when we first moved in, the windows all opened and closed fine. But when we were starting to get hotter weather, we opened the windows since we don’t have an air conditioning unit on ours. When I went to open my youngest son’s bedroom window, it actually cracked. But I just need to call Clayton Homes and let them know.

Clayton Homes response

We're glad to hear that everything got sorted out and that you're happy in your new home, Cortney. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience as well. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 10, 2019

The rep was great. She was very helpful and the buying process had its little ups and downs, but it was good. Clayton Homes was in communication with me and so far, so good. I'd recommend them.

Clayton Homes response

Thanks for the feedback, Alisha! The home buying process can be very complicated and prone to ups and downs, so thank you for sticking with us! Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 10, 2019

I have known Clayton Homes forever and I ended up buying in Bowling Green, Kentucky because that's where I set the home. The home buying process was very easy and I can brag on Barry but I can't brag on anybody else. Clayton Homes SE is the worst outfit I've ever dealt with in my life and I've been in business for 55 years. I bought two homes at the same time and Anita was fairly helpful. She helped with some of the things in the home like the lighting, the flooring and the cabinet colors. But she was very poor on following up after the fact. After the homes were delivered and we started calling and trying to get something done, she was absolutely no help whatsoever.

They had set the homes in October and both homes had the same problems. They were shipped with no doors and the people who came to install the doors put the cabinet faces. The same idiots worked at both homes. I have one home leased out and when the people renting it opened the doors, the cabinet doors fell off. It's just been horrible. I can't get my cabinets repaired. They won't come back and repair them. I would not recommend SE Homes to anyone. I'm still fighting with them right now. In fact, if I haven't heard from someone by Monday, I'm probably gonna let my attorney in our company go ahead and take care of it. Barry, on the other hand, is I think the fellow who runs that Clayton dealership at Bowling Green and he's been very helpful. He's done everything he can to help.

Clayton Homes response

We appreciate your feedback, James. We're glad to hear that you liked working with Barry, but we're sorry that the rest of the service didn't go as expected. A member of our Customer Advocacy Team will be in touch with you to see how we can assist.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Clayton had a home already set on land and they told me about it. I went to see it and I was hooked from there. They took me step-by-step. Some days, it took more time. But other than that, my satisfaction with the home and the home consultant was great. They showed me everything and they walked me through everything. It was perfect. I worked with Bob and he was wonderful. I had a water sprinkler in the front yard, but they didn’t have one for the backyard. I explained to them about putting a water sprinkler in the backyard, and they came and said that they would do it. They put it on there, so it was great. I love the quality of my home. I’ve recommended Clayton Homes to about four different people.

Clayton Homes response

We are so grateful to have you as a customer, Gwen! What a kind review that was! We're so glad that you enjoyed working with Bob and that your home buying experience went so well. We consider it the ULTIMATE compliment when our customers recommend us to their friends and family, so we are especially flattered you've done that for us FOUR times. Thank you! Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 9, 2019

I chose the Clayton home model I went with for the price of it. Then I changed out the door knobs because that’s what I do for a living and I really don’t like the factory ones that come from Clayton Homes. But I was supposed to do house placement to put the four corners of where I wanted the house to sit and that never happened. So they just put it wherever they wanted to. The person in charge of doing the grading also pissed me off a little bit because he never communicated. But the experience with the salesman was pretty good. My stepbrother is also in the process of buying a home from Clayton Homes right now. I sent him up there.

Clayton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

Clayton Homes specializes in affordable, quality-built modular and manufactured homes. It offers floor plans for a wide variety of home sizes and styles, from tiny homes to 4 bedroom houses.​ Their homes are all designed and manufactured in the United States.

• Range of home types: Clayton builds traditional site built homes, modular homes, manufactured homes and tiny houses.

• Offers trade-ins: Customers can trade in their current home for a new manufactured home in order to save on costs.

• Homes with basements are available: Clayton Homes can be ordered with a full basement.

• Model homes available in most locations: Users can visit a Clayton Home Center to see model homes or set up a tour. Visit their website to find a home center near you.

• Environmentally friendly: Clayton has received an ISO (International Organization for Standardization) certification for green building standards.

• Customizable options: Homebuyers with specific needs can get a custom-built home.

• Best for: Clayton Homes is best for people on a budget, buyers with time constraints and people with special needs.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Clayton Homes Company Information