2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.20/5

Clayton Homes is a manufactured home builder that offers an array of home types, from traditional site-built homes to tiny homes. With a focus on green building practices and multiple customizable features available, Clayton Homes can help you achieve homeownership within your budget.

Clayton Homes Gallery (4)
BOTTOM LINE

Clayton Homes offers a wide array of home types and prices to choose from along with energy-efficient features and options. The company works with multiple name-brand home equipment and appliance brands.

PROS
  • Customization available
  • Choice of quality home brands
  • Energy-efficient homes
CONS
  • Potential land restrictions
  • Complex modular home financing

Top Clayton Homes Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

The home buying process at Clayton was very easy. I couldn't ask for anything better. Their manager Tracy was outstanding. If I had any questions, she handled it right away... Everything was taken care of whenever I talked to her. We got a top-notch quality home.

I was recommended by a family member that owned a home through Clayton Homes. The buying process was easy. There was no stress and I was never pressured into buying a home. Everyone there was nice. … I would definitely recommend the one here from Anniston.

What is Clayton Homes?

Clayton Homes is a homebuilding company that offers a variety of home styles, including tiny homes, modular homes, apartment complexes and more. The company has been in business for more than 60 years and has experience with the intricate and complex processes that go into building your perfect home. The company is ISO 14001- and LEED-certified for green building projects. It also offers ENERGY STAR-certified homes for environmentally conscious buyers.

How does Clayton Homes work?

After working with a Clayton Homes specialist to design your dream home, the next step is to find the right land and secure financing. If you haven’t found the right space for your Clayton Home, the company’s team of professionals work with you to find land that fits your needs and budget.

Clayton Homes are built by first selecting from a variety of trusted home equipment and appliance brands, including MOEN, Frigidaire and Georgia-Pacific. The steel foundation is then laid before the flooring and plumbing system is installed. Next, the exterior walls and roofing are constructed, followed by a thorough inspection. Additional land improvements can be made if necessary or requested.

Clayton Homes prices

The cost of a home from Clayton Homes is based on factors including the size, brands used, type of home and selected features. Most homes start in the $140,000 range. The average price of a Clayton Home built in 2019 was $312,286.

Without land, the average price for a home built off-site cost $78,817. You can expect additional costs for various features such as energy-saving appliances or materials. Homeowners looking to reduce costs can work with Clayton Homes to eliminate features or opt for more affordable home appliance and equipment brands.

Clayton Homes FAQ

Who owns Clayton Homes?
Clayton Homes is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. The company was created in 1956 by Jim Clayton.
Are Clayton Homes modular?
Clayton Homes does build modular homes. Other home types are also available for purchase, including site-built homes and tiny houses.
Do Clayton Homes come furnished?
No, homeowners are required to furnish their homes. Homes built by Clayton Homes do include kitchen, bathroom and other appliances requested by the homeowner.
How much are Clayton Homes?
The price of Clayton Homes varies based on the selections made by the buyer. Costs include the price for labor, the appliances and materials selected and other various fees.
How much of a down payment do you need for Clayton Homes?
The amount of down payment necessary for a Clayton Home depends on the financing you receive. For instance, FHA loans require a minimum of 3.5% of the sales price as a down payment.
Does Clayton Homes help find land?
Clayton Homes helps customers find land for their homes. If the consultant is unable to find land, the company has an extensive network of local real estate professionals ready to help.
Is Clayton Homes a good company?
With the variety of homes and features available, along with energy-efficient options and green building certifications, many customers agree that Clayton Homes is a good company to work with.
What credit score do you need to get a Clayton home?
The credit score needed to buy a Clayton home is based on the loan type required. Conventional loans will need higher credit scores, usually in the 680 or higher range, while FHA loans are available with lower credit scores of 580 and above.
Are Clayton Homes built well?
Yes. In addition to quality building practices and materials, each build is thoroughly inspected. Each build comes with the Clayton Built stamp of approval, which is the company’s commitment to building excellence.

Are Clayton Homes good?

Clayton Homes provides a myriad of home types and features to choose from. These homes are ideal for the homebuyer who wants some control over the homebuilding process without the hefty price tag. Additionally, the company’s commitment to green building and energy-efficiency is a benefit for homeowners looking to actively reduce their energy bills or carbon footprint.

Clayton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

I had visited a couple other places but they didn't have the selection like they did at the Clayton Homes in Dalton where we purchased ours from. We also considered finding the closest dealer and Clayton Homes had that. When we went up to the place there in Dalton, their rep, Chris, went over everything he could to answer any questions. We found a home that we really loved and it was one of the nice ones on the front of the lot. But with the bedrooms on the left side, the master was going to be mine and my husband's, but we needed more space on one side. So we added on an extra bedroom, then we combined two of those bedrooms and made a large master bedroom for my mother that was to live with us. Chris helped us with that.

Then, we paid our down payment so they would get started and it took them a while to make our home. It was on my birthday, in May, that it arrived to the store for us to go look at it. So the process started from the end of November all the way to May. But that was understandable with the COVID virus slowing everything down. Then for Christmas, they closed for two weeks, which we knew about beforehand. So the process took a little longer than we thought but our expectations may not have been realistic given today's circumstances with the virus.

So we went and looked at the home that they made in May, then it was June 1st that it was delivered on our property. After that, it was end September when we moved in and a lot of that was due to a lot of rain we were having, so it was hard to get things quickly. There were also a few times when I felt like the communication with Clayton's reps could have been better. But as a new person doing something like that, I was just a little insecure.

So far, we're very happy with the home and it feels like a solid one. We've been through one really bad storm, the effects of that last hurricane, and we were nervous because it was our first storm in it. Fortunately, the home's out in the field and the woods are backed off from us, so we didn't have to worry about trees falling on us. But we were nervous because the winds got pretty hard for Georgia. Still, we didn't feel like we needed to leave and go get somewhere safer. The home held up really good and there was no damage to it at all. The air conditioning and the heat seem to be really efficient, too. I'm happy with our electric bill. It went up a little this past month, but that's because it's been so cold. But the home seems to be very comfortable and a cozy place. It’s such a pretty home and it has the little built-in front porch on it with the stones on the column. We get a lot of compliments on it.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Robin. We are so glad that you were able to build your dream home!

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I've known about Clayton since I was about 16 years old and the first time I ever purchased was when I was 18. It was with Clayton up in Tennessee. They have always been top-of-the-line. We'd had house plans drawn out for years of what we wanted and when the hurricane came in and destroyed our home, we went to Lake City, to Deerlake and all over the State of Florida, Georgia and Alabama looking for someone who would build what we wanted.

My husband was working in Nashville and he was driving by a Clayton place and saw The Abigail. He pulled in and looked. It was about 80% of what we had drawn over the years. So, he told me about it but Panama City didn't have one at the time. So, we drove all the way across to Georgia. The woman up there was one of the rudest people I've ever talked to but I gave a brief look anyway. Then, I waited a few months until they got one in Panama. I went and looked at it, and when I started questioning about adding extra windows, doing different things, so on and so forth, is when D.C., the rep, told me that they could do anything we wanted. So, I was hooked. We went to Jasper, Alabama and looked at the factory, which was when I was set on it and when I wanted it.

With the problem now, I called DC, who is the lot manager in Panama City. He was the first one we spoke to. I kept calling until they got that home in over there and then, Stephanie called and let us know it was in but not together. So, I called D.C. I told him that I wanted to look at it and that I don’t need it together. I just need to see the front half of the house. He said that he would get the stairs and we would go in it.

We have carpet in the house and we have that linoleum we paid top dollar for. It’s supposed to last for 25 years. They didn't sand down the floors like they were supposed to and they also didn't make sure that the things were sealed before they put it in. We've only had our home a few months and because of the COVID, the young man, Boris, couldn't come back out and do a lot of fixing. The whole floor has got to be replaced. I've got some places where it’s 4 to 6 inches, and there’s no way I’m gonna let them pack it when I gave $12,000 for it. I’m gonna have to get a lawyer to fight it to make sure it's done.

Also, there are humps. If you throw an area rug down and one of your kid’s balls or a toy gets under, you can feel it. So, that is the biggest issue that I have with our house. I don’t call DC and complain to him about it because there's nothing he can do. There's no need to complain to Jeremy either but I have talked to a young lady up at Clayton in Jasper, Alabama. I was a contractor and I used to build homes from ground up so I know what the process is. They didn’t sand the floor and they didn’t put the board that was supposed to be put underneath this. It's supposed to be a seamless, airtight floor so that the floor was supposed to be sucked down to the existing floor, and they didn't do that.

The construction of it is fine but I’m a detailed person. My center island is off three quarters of an inch. So, instead of it being 3 foot from counter to counter all the way down on each side, it’s not. It wasn’t put in right either. The way that they built this home was they were behind. They were pushing out a lot of homes for the hurricane victims. I get it but what I don’t get is sloppy work. I even had to screw everything up when I came to the house. Even my siding is popping off the house. It’s not cut right. Every time I've had somebody call me and ask me if I would recommend Clayton, I would say yes, all the way across the board. But if I ask if I could talk to them about the factor, they would say no.

There are other high dollar issues. I told them when I first got the home that the toilet rocks left to right and it’s due to the fact that the floor is not level. So, the floor wasn't locked down properly. There were no head bolts put in the floor to hold it so that the toilet wouldn't do that. If you don't put it on the beam you put it on the edge of the beam, it's gonna work its way down so it's always going up and down. You have beams that go across the floor, that's what the board connects to. So if it's not there, and it's over on the side of the beam, then the floor is gonna go up and down. They have stated that they had to go underneath the house and do things, which means that they got to cut my insulation. It’s a repeated problem.

I bought an extended five-year warranty but at the same time, I'm not gonna claim any of this on my homeowners insurance because I'm not gonna let my homeowners insurance go up because the factory chose to do a shoddy job. Also, they put the dryer vents four inches from the wall and it is six inches, so you've got a 10 inch gap between the wall and the back of your dryer, which has my dryer six inches in front of my return air. So I have to move the dryer, unhook the dryer, pull it out, to drop the returned air to take the filter out. It was slap it together and get out of here because they were behind schedule. At the same time this was going on was when they fired that one factory manager and hired somebody else, and put in another one.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Madeline, customer experience is of the upmost importance to us, and we take feedback very seriously. We are currently looping in our Customer Advocacy team in order to look into the matter, and we appreciate your patience.

Original review: July 22, 2020

We liked the experience with the salespeople. A lot of the other Clayton Homes that we went to, the salespeople followed you around saying, “We wanna know what kinda money do you want to spend? What kinda payment are you looking to be in?” I don't like that. But over at Johnson City, they didn't do that. People know what they can afford to buy. When we looked, they said, “You go out, take a look. You see something you like, come back in, let us know and we'll talk about it.” We got what was already there because I liked what I saw and it was done the way I wanted it. I also liked the colors. The quality was decent. They were better than a lot of the others.

Our biggest struggle was we bought late in the year and the weather held us up from getting it. It took us about three months to be able to get in and get it moved here. We've officially moved in here in January and there's still a lot of things that need to be done and it seems like feet are getting dragged. There's some discrepancies with the people at Clayton on as to when to do things and when not to do things. There's a vapor barrier that has to go underneath the home and there's still some discrepancies on that. We still haven't gotten that done. Some of the people at Clayton say that it should’ve been done already. The manager at Johnson City told us that we gotta get our underpinning put up first. But that's kinda like putting the horse behind the cart. It seems like it would be something that would be harder to do with the underpinning up because they have to go under the house to do it.

We finally got our front door replaced yesterday. The door was messed up on the lot, which is understandable because they told us that people would go in and look at the homes and not close the doors and the wind would blow and catch them and warp them. They worked on the door twice before they decided to replace it. They put a bunch of shims in and it was so funny when the guys took the door out yesterday. About 50 shims fell in the floor. The guy said it was crazy. But when they replaced the storm door, they didn't send the door handle for it. But the guys were really nice about it. They even went to town and bought one and brought it back. But it wouldn’t fit and the guy said that’s because a lot of mobile home things are made where you have to go back to a mobile home manufacturer to get stuff. So he just pieced together what was on the old door.

When they worked on the door, my door handle was actually two different colors. The guys that was here yesterday tried to make things right. I've got four mini blinds that needed to be replaced and they brought out blinds and it had my name on the box. When they opened them up, they were the wrong size. It took them three tries before they finally got the right screens to put back in my home because there were screens missing and there were some that were messed up on the home when I bought it. They finally got them squared away a couple of months ago.

When the guys were here yesterday, they said that they would go back and let them know that the wrong blinds was sent out but I have no clue how long I have to wait for new blinds because it took me forever to get them. Also, I had to have the blinds replaced on my sliding glass door. The blinds fall off of it all the time. I had the guy put them back on yesterday. Now, this blind has only been up for a month and a half but it was messed up when the boy put it up. The boy said that he was gonna tell them that it wasn't right. Apparently there are some clips inside of it that were broke off.

I'm still waiting to hear about my bathtub in my master bath. When they brought the home out, I had to go through and clean everything before I could even move stuff in. When I was cleaning all the dust and fills out of the bathtub, I noticed that there was a puncture hole in it. I talked to somebody at Jiles about a month ago and I'm still waiting to hear about that. It seems like if you talk to one person then it's like everybody tries to make good with everything. But it seems like there isn't a chief at the helm that takes responsibility to try to correct things. The people that came out here to work on stuff have been great.

Clayton Homes response

Lisa, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing this feedback with us. Here at Clayton Homes, we strive to provide a world-class customer experience while meeting your needs. Please contact us if you run into any further issues with getting items completed.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Robert was a fine salesman, but then at the end, there were some issues with him. I'm not sure if they let him go or if he quit voluntarily. At the time, from the start until I got the house, everything went great. Any question I had was answered, and a couple of things I wanted changed in the house were done successfully. Everything was in good shape. I was very happy with the house. However, I'm not happy about the location. If I knew it was would be like this I would've chosen a different place. The lot itself is nothing but rock. I have so many rocks in my yard. And then, the whole location is in an HOA community but they don't do what I think a HOA is supposed to do as far as keeping the community looking good. If I could, I would move the house to a different location, but that's not possible now. I'm just trying to make best of it over here for now.

I'm just by myself so I didn't really need a dishwasher. Otherwise, if I had one, I would have to stack the dishes for a week at a time. I would've rather wanted a cabinet covered in that spot and they did that. They took the washer and our dishwasher out and put a cabinet in the space in that area. I was very pleased with that. Also, the homes now, they come with the solid glass door for the front door. I didn't want that. I wanted a combination door so they changed that out for me also.

Everybody there at Clayton that I've talked to has been very helpful. You go in there and they speak to you right away and see what you need or ask, "Do you have any questions?". If I ever have any questions or call up there for something, Jay is the one I talk to now. He handled everything. Every question I had, he could answer it. Or if he didn't know it at the time, he would find it out and get back to me.

Initially, when I was first looking at the homes and deciding what I wanted, I had to put a deposit down on one to hold it then. And then, I was told by Robert that the downpayment had to be separate from that. Then when everything was done I would be refunded that $500. When it was all said and done, Robert was gone already and nobody knew about the deposit. But when I was working with Jay, he found everything out and I had the deposit back within seven days. He really did good so I told him that the survey would come out real good for me and I would recommend anybody to go to Clayton. I told Jay about this area and that if knew it would be like this, I would've chosen a different place. He told me I could always sell it and come and pick out another house or pick out the same one as I have. I love the house. It's gorgeous. I told him I might think about that if I get too disgusted with this area.

Clayton Homes response

Gerri, thank you so much for reaching out and taking the time to share your feedback with us. We thrive on customer feedback in order to better our communication processes. We will forward this feedback to the appropriate management and their respective teams.

Original review: May 25, 2020

The Clayton Homes manager that I bought the home from lied to me from day one until I got this home finally put in. And it cost me money getting the home put in. I’m very dissatisfied with the Decatur office. If I’d known that it was gonna be that way with them, I would’ve never bought it at the Decatur. I would’ve gone to the other Cullman office. I was very dissatisfied with him and the sales rep that actually sold me the mobile home.

I paid 3,000 in cash upfront for the mobile home and then I paid to have the electric in and to have the septic done and everything. He did not follow up with anything. I had to get on him hot and heavy about it to get it in on time. He still didn’t get it on time and we’re running the rainy season. And it cost me money as far as getting my driveway and that put in because the rainy season hit. Now, my driveway is settling and sinking because they didn’t get it in on time. They even forgot to find the actual contract for me to get my tags for the mobile home when they made the bill. They kept telling me they were not responsible for that. And I had to call the main office and get on to them to get him to come back and do it.

Also, the mobile home when we were looking around didn’t have everything in it. I ordered it special and I’ll be darned if they didn’t ruin that. They messed up everything that I ordered. It had stuff in it that the other one had and it wasn’t supposed to. But I had to be satisfied with what was in it because if I ordered it, it would take them another week for me to get it and I couldn’t wait a week because we got a lot of rain coming.

They had carpet in it and it was not supposed to be carpet. It had mirrors on the walls, which it was not supposed to have because they start taking mirrors off the walls, they glue them things on and when you do that, you tear everything off when they do it. But that’s fine and the rest of it was hardwood. And then the sink in one of the main bathrooms was crooked and everything. The guy told us that it would cost more to fix it. But another guy, Joe, had that thing tore out, put back in, and had it looking perfect. I said I didn't want anybody coming out except him. He was the only one that seems to know what he's doing.

As far as the home, my wife loves it. It's a nice home. We have a few cracks in it and stuff like that, but that’s from the moving and from the settlement. And as soon as it gets to where we can do it, I'm gonna have Joe come out and take care of it. Once I met him and got some people in there that I could trust, it was good and everything.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Fred, thanks so much for reaching out and sharing your experience with us! We value customer feedback, and we thrive from it as it betters our processes. We will be sure to forward the frustrations that you experienced to the appropriate parties. We're happy that overall, you and your wife love the home! We wish you all the best!

Original review: April 10, 2021

Our Clayton Home is a really nice home. The way it's built with a high ceiling and fireplace, big closets, big rooms and shower. I also like the land that it’s on and the form of it. They handle everything well as far as the financial part. But the maintenance and the upkeep, they're poor on that. We didn't have heat or air on one side of the house. It took five months to get somebody out there to fix that. The cabinets are falling down, still haven't been fixed. The top of the countertops is split where the bubbles have floated up the side of the stove. It's busted, so they're gonna have to replace that. Nobody even came and looked at it. Said they give it six months for the house to settle totally and then they will come out. But I would still refer Clayton to someone else. They have nice homes. They just don't do the maintenance like they're supposed to. My brother also bought a house right beside me and he's having the same trouble.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Bruce, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your feedback with us. We understand that waiting on certain repairs may be frustrating, but we assure you that proper repairs are done once the home has completed settling. If you have any questions, we recommend you reaching out to your local retailer that you purchased from and they will be happy to assist.

Original review: April 9, 2021

Going with Clayton Homes is better than trying to buy a home. The people are also really nice, and everything's done well. We connected well with the people who worked there. It was our first home, so it was a little complicated for us, but they made it as easy as it could be. They walked us through everything. They were there when we needed them. We needed a home for our new baby, and they were able to get that done for us.

We had Pat, and she was wonderful. She knew what she was doing. That was something that bothered us about other places. We’ve asked questions, and they’d say, “Let me check that,” or “I'm not sure.” Pat had the answers on everything. She was one of the first people that we told that we were pregnant. Because we had become pregnant, and all the COVID, and everyone was buying houses, we ended up purchasing one that was already on the lot so we didn't have to wait all the extra time.

The quality is good. Even though there were things that needed to be fixed, it was just factory-wise. There was a bump in the countertop and when they were putting together the bathroom, they had to fix the flooring for us in there. The repair was done in a very quick and timely manner and the people who came and worked on the house are fabulous, very kind, and understanding. It was all good.

Clayton Homes response

Daley, thank you so much for sharing this wonderful experience with us. Congratulations on your newest family member! We're so happy that you had a home consultant who went above and beyond for you, and made a lasting impact.

Original review: April 8, 2021

We were looking for a mobile home for the time being while we got ready to build a house and we went to a few places around here. Clayton was the most helpful, and they worked with us the best on what we were looking for. The overall quality of the house itself was better as well. We went with a model that was on the lot and got the Anniversary edition. The finishes throughout the house make it look nice. I liked the floors and the quality of the cabinets. My brother got the same style of house from a different trailer company we have here in town, and it doesn't even compare to the quality of ours.

I’m happy with the entire process. Colin was our sales person, and he did an excellent job keeping us updated and making sure that we got our house out here quickly. Everybody else seemed to be booked out, while we were able to get our house delivered in a week or two. We had a problem with some of the wiring in the back though. One of our wires shorted out and they had somebody out as soon as we called them, and got the problem fixed within two days. We were really thankful for that.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for your feedback, Jaime! We love that the retail location you worked with was prompt on any repairs or service items! We are happy for you and hope you enjoy your home for many years to come!

Original review: April 6, 2021

The home buying process, solely for Clayton, was fine. I had some bumps in the road. ​I was dealing with some other funds and resources. So, that piece was frustrating. But the representative was very supportive and even walked me through some of those processes. The rep was always informative. He was able to answer all the questions that I had, or if he didn't know, he would get back to me promptly. It was always open communication. He was helpful all the way around. Overall, the quality of the build was good. Anything that I identified as an issue, they immediately came out and fixed it. I have a safe and comfortable home that is tailored for my family and me.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for your feedback, Latasha! We hope you continue to enjoy your home for many years to come!

Original review: April 4, 2021

The buying process was not hard. What really got me was, when I was making the path for my home, they kept calling me every day. But, they didn't call me and tell me what day they were going to move it. It was a big coincidence that I just happened to be at a gas station when I saw my house passed by on the trailer. So I was able to get out there in time. We also bought it in September of last year and from day one when they set the house on the property, it leaked. It just got worse over time. We had mold in the kitchen and in my son's room. We just now got all the leaks fixed. I kept trying to get somebody out there that would fix the leaks. They just kept sending techs out that didn't actually know what they were doing.

I had to get with the State of Texas to get somebody out there to inspect it. Right when they sent the certified letter that they were coming to inspect it, that was when I got a call from the manufacturing company and also the general manager at Clayton at Longview. But the last time I spoke with the general manager prior to that was whenever we were there looking at the house and trying to buy it. Every time I would call and try to get ahold of him, he was either gone or I could only go up as high as the executive assistant. He really wasn't getting me the help that I needed.

I had three different techs from the Longview office come over. They were there 45 minutes and they were like, “I think I got it.” Then they would leave. Next rain would come, it would still be leaking. I'd call back over there and all I’d get from the office would be, “We got rid of that guy. So we'll send a different guy out.” So I was paying for them to hire inexperienced people. It took from September to March to even get the manufacturer out there and to fix the leaks and it was a manufacturing tech that actually fixed the leaks.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Jeffrey, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your feedback with us. Clayton Homes strives to provide a world-class customer experience, and we apologize for these issues. We have communicated your concerns to the appropriate management and home building facilities in order to further improve our processes.

Clayton Homes Company Information