2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.06/5

Clayton Homes is a manufactured home builder that offers an array of home types, from traditional site-built homes to tiny homes. With a focus on green building practices and multiple customizable features available, Clayton Homes can help you achieve homeownership within your budget.

Clayton Homes Gallery (4)

Clayton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

Renee was great. She responded to every phone call and text in a timely manner. She got it done. She did everything she was supposed to do very professionally. I bought the house furnished and that was pretty cool. Renee set that up pretty fast. It came out very, very nice. Clayton is a good company to work with.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for the kind words, Renee! We truly appreciate you!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

We liked the house and we liked the price of Clayton Homes. The home buying process as far as the administration of the purchase went pretty quick. It was decent. A home consultant helped us process through everything and was very helpful. There was a lot of stuff that had to be fixed as it came out of the factory. But it's been dealt with or still being worked with.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for your feedback, Jody! We're glad to have you as a part of our Clayton Homes family!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

The guy that came and fixed stuff the first year was super nice. He fixed everything and showed up super quick as well. There were a few things that were wrong with the house. They were kinda cheaply made and some of the parts fell apart and that was why the guy had to come back and fix it. So I didn't like mainly how it was made. The price that we paid was cheap.

Some of the parts were kind of just thrown on there. The light switches in our bathroom and then in the hallway broke three times after using them, and they had to come back and replace them twice. I didn't like that very much. I didn't enjoy the home itself and the way the builders put it together. But the overall experience with Clayton themselves was wonderful. They worked with us. I didn't think that I'd get approved but they helped us out and it was a great experience overall. It was super easy. They were really nice and friendly.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Cynthia, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your experience! We're so happy that your purchase process was great! We're sorry to hear of cosmetic issues in the home, but our homes come with a one-year manufacturer's warranty in order to handle and settling our setup issues.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Please do not buy from the Harrisonburg branch. We picked home out, did all paperwork and got approved and then were told could not get that home. They said they upgrade us in home for same price. We lost our first approval which was good interest rate because of delays and second had terrible rate. We order our home, our master bath was wrong, no bookshelves were not our living room. They tried to tell me how to dig hole for house, spent a lot of money and still did not get right.

We had to do hearing for house on my land and they did the wrong size unit. So we had to wait another month to do again. Unit got on our land in October and they did start on it until end November. They kept lying to us about inspection on our deck that they would not come out because of holidays. I met inspector out there and he told me because the people they had out there did not know what they were doing so that why he did not pass. They messed my floors up and have not fixed. It took us 2 months to get our keys to house once we moved in which was in January. We did get them to pay to payments because the bank makes you pay payment once the unit is on your land for 30 days. So they wanted me to pay and we were not even in our house and they will not give you a date on when it will be done.

My house a year later still does not have final because they never came back and graded and put seed down because they failed for that. There was another couple at same time also they did not finish their house either. They ended up finishing themselves. I also talk to another friend that when they deliver their trailer they put huge hole in his put on his lot. Also took them forever to fix that. The staff does not know what they are doing. They cannot get contractors to finish work. They have a complaint line you call but nothing gets done when you call it.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Joseph, thanks for reaching out. Customer service is of the upmost importance to us, and we take feedback very seriously. We have contacted the retail location in which you purchased from, and they have informed us that they have attempted to reach out to you by phone and email. Please contact the retail location to schedule service. We appreciate your time!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

The home-buying side with Clayton was easy and convenient but the biggest issue was they came out and replaced the original door that was on it. I wasn’t aware of it and when I came in, I noticed immediately that the door wasn’t shimmed correctly. It wasn’t gonna keep water out because they didn't seal outside. It took about six months of hassle, and back-and-forth, and them sending their repair guy out to try and fix it. But he never did.

They had to send the factory out to replace the door or doorframes, the studs in the walls, the boards, the seals, and re-floor and re wall. It was kinda sagging in the middle. I work on the road a lot, so every time I come in every two months, I would call them and say it's getting worse. Also, the floor was creaking because it gets wet and swells, and then it dries. It sinks.

The maintenance guy got sent back out to repair it again and I walked in and I saw what he was doing. He was trying to use three-inch wood screws to screw into the studs without shimming the door properly and he wasn't sealing the door. So, it’s making the AC run all day. And then, it's gonna leak through, and so on and so forth. The factory came out and got it fixed. I'm gonna go through and re-floor the whole place because they split the linoleum in the living room and separated it from the living room and hallway, and put these dividers. And there are loose spots on the floor where they pinned it down to keep it free-floating.

Clayton Homes response

Jesse, thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience regarding your buying experience with Clayton Homes. We strive to provide a world-class customer experience throughout your home-buying and building process. We're sorry to hear that you experienced some issues with repairs and experienced setbacks. We provide our homes with a one-year manufacturer's warranty in order to address any issues that come with setup/delivery. We truly wish you all the best and hope you enjoy your home for years to come.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I went with the farmhouse layout. I really liked the looks of it. But purchasing the house was a nightmare. They put my house in the wrong spot and they had to move it. They were arguing with me and threatening me. They said they were gonna leave the house sitting where it was. It was bad. Clayton should set up where somebody comes out and looks at the property before they make a deal, and gets all their facts before they say they are going to do it. People considering purchasing from them should make sure that they get everything written down on paper.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Joshua, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your experience with us. We're sorry to hear of these issues, and we take customer feedback very seriously. We will loop in our management team regarding this review. We truly appreciate your time.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

My wife saw Clayton Homes on the highway, and wanted to stop in there and look at what they offered. She was well set on Clayton and nobody else so we decided to go with them. I'm happy with the franchise owners but the salesman needs a lot of training. He needs to work with maybe only Spanish-speaking people. I couldn't understand him half the time. If I needed to ask questions, I asked somebody else. If you take the salesman out of the equation, I'm happy with everything else.

For the price of the home, it's the quality I expected. We tried to get something better but our credit wasn't good enough to get the one we wanted. Once Clayton gets everything fixed and everything that's wrong, it's a good house. It's growing on my wife. She likes it and we had a couple of things customized. Clayton Homes itself and the corporation and the other people at the office are doing me right on fixing everything that was wrong on the trailer that didn't get installed right. They're coming out. I had some people or a guy from corporate. The factory called me and went over what needs to be repaired. I'm very happy with that. It's just my experience with the salesman was not optimal.

Clayton Homes response

Hi John, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're happy to hear that you love your home!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I went by a couple of companies but I didn't like what I saw. Then I went by Clayton, I pulled in, and I ended up buying from them. They met my needs. I like the way the house was built. I had a great experience. They were nice and professional. I had a good time. The customer service is great. Everything worked out okay.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for the feedback, Michael!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

Clayton Homes Waynesville NC was terrible. Once we found the home we loved, we went to their location in Waynesville. It started out great until we were told we had to choose a different home because their mover came out to look at our property. We were never informed when the mover would come out. We wanted to make sure he was aware of the grading that will be happening to our land before home is set. The mover got in touch with our sales rep and informed him that I had to choose a (smaller) different home because he didn't want to move the one we LOVED due to it being 72 feet long. The mover told our sales rep that we could only do a 28×56.

The sales rep got in touch with me and informed me of what was said. I asked the sales rep for a reason why we had to choose a smaller home because once grading is done it will be more than enough. The sales rep then asked the mover about it. The mover said the 72 foot wouldn't make it up my driveway. Which I find hilarious because my parents home right next to mine is over 80feet long and so is my neighbors. Which the mover would had to have seen while he was here.. The sales rep/mover would not work with us at all, only option they gave was 28×60 MAX. I didn't want to settle with that, I LOVE this home. So the same day I called Oakwood homes in Asheville and they said they would make sure I got that same home! The process has been great and so fast! We've only been working with them for 1.5 months maybe?

We have already ordered the home, and we are closing soon! They have been top notch on top of everything. Very willing to help you in anyway possible. I would recommend them to anyone. When I messaged Ian the sales rep and informed him I was proceeding elsewhere and he didn't care at all. He was "sorry to hear that" didn't even try to work with us. I'm glad we went to Oakwood and didn't settle with Ian and the mover for the smaller home.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Kelsey, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing this feedback with us. We take customer input very seriously, and are continuing to strive to improve our communication efforts. We will be sharing this review with our management teams. We appreciate your time!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

The buying process was with Clayton Homes was okay and I didn't have any problems with that part. But they give you a lot of runaround about proving your income. Lisa, the rep, was great and she helped out a whole lot. She did good.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Kandi! Thank you so much for reaching out regarding your experience with Clayton Homes! We truly value your feedback, and while we can't speak for the financing aspects of buying a home, we work to ensure everything is set up correctly for you. We hope you have a great day.

Clayton Homes Company Information