Find a Home Warranties partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Allied Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Home Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Home Warranty?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2014

Allied Home Warranty refused to honor its "One-page contract" and repair my plumbing problem. Why do they have a "One-page contract?" Because it is vague and allows them to refuse to honor repair requests at their discretion. Their affiliated contractor is NRG Home Services. NRG and Allied are owned by the same company. It even states so on their website. NRG said my plumbing repairs would not be covered by Allied, but that NRG would do them for $8,400 dollars and would even be so kind as to offer financing. He didn't even need to do an inspection of the house for that estimate. He never went into either bathroom, kitchen, or the utility room. He took no measurements. The two plumbers I called both took measurements and did a detailed inspection to give me estimates.

Allied said repairing or replacing pipes is a "modification" and their contract doesn't cover modifications. So, replacing or repairing anything can be considered a modification and is therefore not covered if it would cost Allied too much money to fix. Allied Home Warranty has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. How do they manage that? They pay to be a member of the BBB and the BBB doesn't want to rate their members low. It hurts their business model. Here is the response I got to my complaint with the BBB for Allied Home Warranty failing to make the repairs required by their contract:

"There are some complaints the BBB cannot process due to our by-laws and national guidelines. The BBB cannot intervene with issues regarding store or company policy. Please understand policies are not required to be posted in the stores or on receipts in the State of Texas. It is very important that consumers ask a lot of questions prior to purchasing a product or use a service to ensure that they understand the company's refund/return/exchange policy clearly. You may wish to pursue your issue through the court system. The number for Small Claims Court information in Harris County is 713.755.5137. The BBB has not notified the other party in question but will keep your letter on file. We sincerely hope you can find another way to resolve your dispute."

It should be noted that Allied Home Warranty's "One-page contract" prohibits you from filing a lawsuit against them (small claims court). It requires you to go through arbitration instead.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2014

Please do not buy this insurance at all. I hope that all those that are shopping for a good home warranty company do not consider this one. They say they have a one page contract and then have their own set of rules. In fact, they are a marketing company for specialized home repair company so they can make money via kickbacks. My water heater was inspected by their company which was NRG Home Services, yes the parent company of Reliant Energy. Both these companies have an exclusivity agreement. That means the customer cannot do their repairs with anyone else.

Now the NRG services tech came to our house and inspected the water heater and said it would cost us $1500 to replace it. I was shocked. He then said there is a $500 credit from Allied Warranty that will be applied. Which means I have to pay $1000 for a basic builder's grade water heater. I checked the price at Lowe's and Home Depot and the cost to replace a water heater with a 6-year warranty for both parts and labor was below $650.

I called Allied Warranty and said that their vendor is charging a lot for something that can be fixed for less. But they insisted that we had to go with the same vendor, NRG. I said the credit they gave to NRG they can provide it to me and I will replace it and also take the liability of any future repairs. But they said no! Which clearly means that Allied Warranty is receiving a kickback for providing clients to NRG. In the process, customers are getting ripped off and both these companies are profiting.

What surprised me is when I provided the quote from Lowe's, the rep from Allied Warranty said we need a store front licensed plumber and not stores like Lowe's or Home Depot. This seems to be deceptive practice and I hope something is done about it. What was also interesting in the process was that I found out that these plumbing companies charge over $200 for a city permit. When I called the city, they said the cost was only $25-$30. When I complained to the city permit manager, he said he was aware of it, but that nothing can be done. But that he would report to Legal and see.

Amazing how the whole system is set up to rip of American consumers. It is time the Texas lawmakers take a note of this. And yes, never use this Allied Home Warranty company. It has so many negative comments on the web and so many complaints to the BBB, yet the BBB has given them A+ rating. A system failure at its core.

Original review: July 10, 2009

We closed on our new home June 2, 2009 and started moving in shortly after that. Our inspection was completed during the 7 days following placing our bid in for the home. The inspector who was recommended to us by RE/MAX Galleria stated on our inspection report, "All 3 air conditioning units were in working condition." Once we moved in, we noticed that one of our units was not working properly. Our seller bought the Allied Home Warranty to protect us, so we called them right away to get a technician out to check on it. The technician stated that it was a pre-existing condition. If it were a pre-existing condition, it would not have worked when the inspection was performed, but it did work then.

The seller also purchased an upgraded "no fault coverage" which states: "There is no denial of coverage (No Fault coverage) for: (a) malfunctions that existed on the effective date of the contract if, at that time, the malfunction was unknown and would not have been detectable by visual inspection or a simple mechanical test, (b) malfunctions caused by a lack of maintenance, (c) malfunctions caused by improperly installed equipment and (d) malfunctions caused by mismatched sized systems. Undersized or poorly designed systems relative to the square footage are not covered by the no fault coverage.”

The AC unit was working at the time we did the inspection on the home and up until June 10th. We closed on the home on June 3rd. The AC unit was working on the effective date of the warranty. My husband emailed Allied exactly what they asked for (an addendum to the inspection report stating individually that each AC unit was in working condition at the time of the inspection). My husband emailed Allied several times and called with no return phone calls. I also had to stay on top of the situation daily because we rarely got a call back when they said they would do so. Allied Home Warranty continues to say they will not cover this issue and they were extremely rude with my husband and me.

I have been in customer service for 10-plus years and I would never treat a customer the way they have treated us. This is not what I consider to be good customer service in any way. I'm not sure why Allied was rude to my husband because he maintained an upbeat and friendly attitude every time he spoke to them on the phone and through email. Thank you for your help and I hope this gives you a good idea of what has happened over the last month. This situation has not been resolved.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2008

I called to file a claim the week before the hurricane (Ike - Sept 12th or 13th). I was told that someone would be to my house the next week. No one ever called me back. I called again the week after the hurricane and was told that the company who would handle our claim may have had damage and may not be available yet. I waited another week and called again and was told that someone should have called me by now....they did not. I called again the following week and gave the model number and serial number and was told that the part had to be ordered, it would be in within 10-14 days. I had not heard back (again) so I called on Monday October 13 (now a full month after the hurricane) and was told that we may not cover this item (after I had been told it was ordered and I was just waiting for it to come in).

The problem with the stove is that while we were cooking on the front left eye, we heard a popping noise and looked at it and saw that the front left corner had cracked off! We are new home buyers and our policy says no fault so I am incensed that Allied Home Warranty says that they will not cover the crack. I still have not had any satisfaction and am unable to use the front left eye on my stove.

Allied Home Warranty Company Information