2. Health and Fitness

Indianapolis

St. Vincent Hospital
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

St. Vincent Hospital Reviews

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I went into this facility with a 4mm obstructed infected kidney stone with hydronephrosis (fluid backing up into kidney). I have documented history of chronic kidney stones (that is shown in their system) and had CT from the previous week showing stone available for them to see. Doctor Carrie ** was very aggressive and negligent in my care. She refused to believe I had a kidney stone despite it showing up on her X-ray that she ordered and accused me of being a drug addict. I asked multiple times for a different doctor to be assigned to my case. The male nurse that treated me said there was another doctor and he will see me. The female nurse and doctor lied said there is no other doctor.

The doctor wanted a CT and I said I would consent but that I was in so much pain I would not be able to hold still and asked for pain medicine. I was in 10/10 pain and in so much pain I could barely even speak or walk. No one cared and continued to deny me care or acknowledge I had a kidney stone despite it showing up on the x-ray she ordered and previous CT I provided. Dr. ** fabricated events to have me removed from the facility because obviously her ego had been offended when I asked for a different doctor. She accused me of cursing when I did not. She bumped shoulders with my mother as she came into the room and then tried to accuse my mother of hitting her. She said I was refusing treatment when I was not.

The female nurse forcibly ripped out my IV and roughly grabbed my arm to throw me out of the bed. This later resulted in scar tissue in my vein making its future use difficult and painful. They had a police officer escort me out. They made me walk even though I was in 10/10 pain, very unstable physically, and almost passing out from the pain, The police officer was pounding on my car door only minutes after I left saying I had to leave now, even though my mother was trying to put the new hospital in the GPS. I subsequently went to a different hospital, Community hospital, and was immediately treated correctly. My case was so severe I was hospitalized for over a week and my Urologist said to never go to St. Vincent’s again and that this previous doctor’s negligence could have killed me.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I have to give them at least a star to write on this page. Honestly they are no stars in my opinion. I had a procedure done here and had to stay one night. I was told from recovery room from downstairs that I would be in good hands, was I surprised. The nurses and level of care was horrible. I started to asking about my pain medication around 7pm ish. The nurse offered me a narcotic but she said if the pain was tolerable I can get something else in 35 min. I opt to wait. I rung the call bell about 7:30. No one responded. It took me 4 times before someone answered me. The dr came in to check on me around quarter of 8 and He said he was going to let them know. I need medication. In addition to that my IV was falling off, my leg thing was not working, I needed my pad change.

In I am still ringing the bell more than once. Finally shifts change and I thought I was in clear to have better night but nope. The cna finally got the leg thing to work. I heard her tell nurse to go in my room and he did not respond. When she came back in the room I was in tears crying in a enormous amount of pain. I ask to speak to head nurse and she did not come. Finally the nurse came and I was still crying in pain. Which was around 9pm. In addition i needed a cpap and that did not get to my room until 12am. I was supposed to take a walk every hour to get gas out stomach that didn't happen. If you are going to stay here, consider another hospital. This one does not have a quality level of care. I WILL NOT EVER COME BACK HERE AGAIN.

Get buying tips about Hospitals delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I took my mom in from chronic back pain due to a wreck she was in a year ago. This was the second time. We waited in the ER for 8 hrs. Once you check-in they are starting your discharge procedures. My mom is 80 years old, never drank or smoked, but due to your pill heads and the doctors giving drugs out like candy, she can't get anything for her pain without begging. So they can't wait to get rid of her without any diagnosis or help in any way. I wouldn't treat animals the way they treat patients. The GD doctors caused the pill epidemic and now the patients in pain are paying for it. I shake my head thinking about the incompetence of today's medical community. From one extreme to another. How childish! Karma is the great equalizer, can't wait until your loved ones are treated this way! Bad hospital, STAY AWAY if you care about the person you are taking there!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I have been in the St. Vincent healthcare network for over 15 years. Since it was mainly wellness care with Dr.'s and only 1 ER visit several years ago, I had very good experiences. It has gone downhill so fast - no one cares!!! In the most recent ER visit for a possible heart attack, I was in a HALLWAY for 7 hours with very little check-in by nurses or DR. When the Dr did come by, she was very patronizing when I asked if it could be pulmonary saying they will look into it. Was discharged with NO knowledge of test results, just saying to call Acute Care the next day. I did that and the next available appointment was over 5 weeks away. Medical care through St. V Hospital and Dr's office is less about the patient and more about their business. I prefer having an interaction with my healthcare team and feeling like a team - here I feel like a number. Done with St. Vincent.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

My son had a high fever for 4 days. I was talked down to for believing it was strep again. There were HIPAA violations everywhere. The nurse wrote his full name with the administered meds on it and left it out. They performed an x-ray and strep test and then the doctor had a shift change and did not discharge us or explain the x-rays or results. My wife in scrubs had to ask the new doctor what happened with our results after waiting for 3 hours. We left on our own accord. Also got charged more than 1500 for the worst service I've ever had.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about St Vincent Hospital?

Original review: July 16, 2019

Took my son to St.Vincent ER due to having 72 hours of high fevers, headaches, and stomach pain. After 2 hours wait, the doctor performed a limited exam. Checked for strep and flu and sent us home with nausea meds. No blood work, nor was he placed on IV fluid because he was dehydrated. Went to Riley Children ER to get the help my son needed! Love Riley ER doctors and their staff!! St.Vincent ER is a joke! We wasted our time and money at St.Vincent ER. I will NEVER recommend this facility to my worst enemy.

Original review: June 27, 2019

As my husband was in the hospital I let his nurse know before she left her shift I asked if it was ok if I stayed with him. During his stay in the hospital she said yes of course. She said that she would get a cot for me and have it in his room. Well that didn’t happen. I fell asleep next to my husband in his bed. His overnight CNA came in and said that she would get me a recliner that too didn’t happen. The doctors are great but I think that the hospital should take in consideration of the spouses to. I write this review while trying to sleep on the floor on the 3rd floor of the hospital.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I went to the emergency room with pain on both sides and had been vomiting for 5 hours. When I got to the hospital they gave me pain medication and medication for my vomiting. The emergency room Doctor told me after all the test that she was a emergency doctor and I wasn't a emergency that I needed to go to the urgent care. I couldn't walk, I was in so much pain that everyone that saw me couldn't understand why I wasn't admitted into the hospital by the Doctor in the emergency room. After all that I was back in the emergency room the ever next day for the same thing. I could hear the staff talking about they were full tonight. "Let's get them out." If I was one of the ones that they didn't think was important I had a appointment in the cam build.

The lady ran "yes" ran me out of the emergency as I was still vomiting all the was over and at the time my husband was driving around. She left me by the chairs. My husband wasn't in the building yet in the state I was in. I should have not been left alone. When the lady came out to talk to me she said, "I don't think we can do this test on you because of the shape you're in." I told her that "I promise I will be still. Please help. No one in the emergency room cares." She did the test, I went to my family doctor and ask for a colonoscopy. I had colon cancer and have had colon surgery. So you see for a doctor in the emergency room to say nothing is wrong with me is a joke and if you put your life in St. Vincent emergency room hand you could die. That is my experience.

Original review: May 21, 2019

St. Vincent Stress Center will not help with and will make worse persons with ** dependence. I went there and now due to their lack of full understanding of the addiction and gross misconduct I am out a job and losing everything I worked for all my life directly because of Jessica **. I left hopeful and spent the rest of my time finding out how a professional knew nothing of my condition.

Original review: March 27, 2019

The fact is my mother is most Likely never going to recover. Her nurse that was handling my mother, who had fallen prior to coming in to the hospital, was flipping her this way and flipping her that way as my mother cried out in obvious pain. Was lucky I hadn't seen it myself! My sister, who had seen this, is way more grownup now than she used to be had to keep composure, where a few short years ago that nurse would have been permanently cross-eyed for hurting our mother like that! The bedside manner was atrocious not woman should be ashamed of herself. Then the same nurse was slow to help when mother had thrown up and was choking on it while I myself had to tell her that she was choking.

Now maybe she was overworked, finishing a long shift, I don't know but tired does not excuse rude. My mother is 75 years old and deserves to be treated with RESPECT & her DIGNITY not taken from her by some nurse who had took a a career in a profession that she was not qualified for. When you work ICU you know that there is a big chance that you are going to be the last nurse or doctor to take care of those patients, that you need to be more sensitive about the way you handle or speak to them and their families. How dare you be unnecessarily rude to them. Take a position in another unit or find a different profession!

I wish it had been like this only on this occasion but in this visit alone. There was a rude chaplain, who could have handled a situation involving a child differently, could have spoken to the family with a more understanding manner instead called police (claiming the the family there for their dying loved had been rude to her) leaving a little boy to feel as if he had done something wrong when he had in fact behaved very well. Then four police officers arrived as if the family was going to create a scene and needed to be removed from the property or something when they had told the nurse or chaplain that they were just simply waiting for their family member to come from back from seeing the loved one in ICU. It was completely uncalled for.

My father was there back in the fall. I was there last year on New Year's. 15 years ago I was there and gave birth to my oldest son, and every situation has been the same, the staff has had the worst bedside manner I have ever come encounter with hospital. I don't know what kind of Catholics/or religious based the hospital claims to be, but they employ a completely rude staff and have almost "religiously" for years.

I would seriously rather die than go to that hospital ever again, I mean seriously, The Sisters of Mercy would be rolling in their graves! It is their images sculpted in bronze around the pond in the main entrance of St. Vincent hospital. I am fairly certain that that's not what they stood for. I wish my mother had been admitted at another hospital & not taken to the ICU at St. Vincent's of Indianapolis Indiana! And I would not recommend St. Vincent's Hospital to anyone.

St. Vincent Hospital Company Information