2. Health and Fitness
  3. Hospitals

Detroit, MI

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

Henry Ford Hospital Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Henry Ford Hospital?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Henry Ford Hospital?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I just wonder “Why” my spouse sold me on Henry Ford Macomb Hospital with all the issues and problems with their Billing Department, managers, and most of the employees should be in “Ripley’s Believe it or Not”. Sorry to say I am very upset and disappointed in the way that this Henry Ford Health System enjoys messing up the billing way of doing business with loyal patients, freaking out, upsetting, scaring patients in this strange way that this “hospital misunderstands the basic insurance billing practice” for their patients.

This hospital might have the best doctors and many people changed their doctors to Henry Ford Macomb Healthcare only to find out that the way they bill patients with their Insurance companies is worse than other major hospitals, over the years! What happen to me and my spouse over statements from this hospital over billing insurance make us feel to start moving our Doctors to another Hospital facilities.

Comments: The belittling their patients making them feel stupid and it is their way or the highway for their patients is unbelievable. We use to think Henry Ford Hospitals and Healthcare system was the best only to find out that they are worse than other major hospitals in the area, and we are very upset that we changed to Henry Ford Healthcare system and Henry Ford Hospital Macomb. That I made a very bad selection based on my spouse for going with Henry Ford Healthcare system! My final comments: You all should not go to this hospital and find another facilities instead of Henry Ford Healthcare. Blanked off Patient.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

Sorry to say I am very disappointed in the way that this Henry Ford Health System enjoys messing up the billing way of doing business with loyal patients, Scaring patients in this strange way that this Hospital miss under stands the basic insurance billing practice to the patients. This hospital might have the best doctors and many people changed doctors to Henry Ford Healthcare only to find out that the way they bill patients with their Insurance companies, over the years! What happen to me and my spouse over statements from this hospital over billing insurance make us feel to start moving our Doctors to another Hospital facilities. The belittling, brow beating, they treat them like they are stupid!

This healthcare Henry Ford attitude toward the patients is unbelievable. We use to think Henry Ford Hospitals and Healthcare system was the best only to find out that they are worse than other major hospitals and we are very upset that we changed to Henry Ford Healthcare system and Henry Ford Hospital Macomb. That we made a bad selection of going with Henry Ford Healthcare system! Comments you all should find another facilities instead of Henry Ford Healthcare.

Get buying tips about Hospitals delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2020

I had the best experience at Henry Ford, I have had many surgeries. But this hospital hands down the best to you to. Everyone that insane in contact to help with with the surgery and the recovery while I was there. They were simply amazing. They were all so caring and nice and made you depo like they really wanted to help you. They didn’t make you seen Like just another patient they had to deal with today. It was so nice to be treated so Nicely. This was my first time ever going to this hospital because it is over an hour drive for me from home. It was recommended by a friend. If I have my choice. I will always use Henry Ford for all my needs. Thank you to all the staff for taken so great care of me and making me feel like an actually person and not just one of your many patient you have to deal with. Love, a truly thankful patient.

Original review: May 7, 2020

After waiting for 5 yrs. since 2015, then being taken off heart transplant list for some bogus excuse (non-conformance of rules via vad team) just wasn't right and was so unfair. Wasn't able to appeal their decision. After the lvad aka heart pump was implant and the many tests he had to endure, the 1st doctor we met was arrogant, & spoke to us in a demeaning manner and had no bedside manner & said to us, "What makes you think you'll get a heart." We were informed by the social worker that we were so lucky to be at HF and that UofM would cut you off at age 65, wrong, it's 70. She also told us that HF keeps you on the list until your 71st birthday. The Vad team even went so far as not informing us of their new responsibilities after a July, 2019 mtg. after summary with the PA. A call was never made to us explaining those new responsibilities.

During the years, we only called them if we had alarms on the controller. We had to call on a Friday nite when an alarm had gone off during after hours, due to a battery change out, he asked us for $20 (kidding or not it should not of been said since my husband 's life was in his hands). Mind you, it would not of happened if the new girl didn't forgot to change out a week prior. Our regular doctor got a bit unnerved when we asked how much longer we would have to wait. One of the other doctors told us we should ask why, but we would not name the doctor. After that, she sent a note to our primary care doctor and a heart doctor that we hadn't seen in 5 years a note regarding why my husband had not gotten a heart transplant to date, i.e. infections and such. (The id doctor said I would always have an infection due to a foreign body inside me. Even when we were informed we were off the official UNO list.

Our heart doctor said something about getting us on a list at UoM with seniority and she might be able to refer us to them, not. In the meantime, we wanted nothing to do with Henry Ford anymore. Tired of being their cash cow and being lied to and after 52 blood draws per year, 59 appts. & numerous tests, then being taken off the list due to non-conformance. I called UofM in Jan. 2020, had we known the outcome of all of this, we would of went there first instead of wasting the 5 years hoping and praying. My husband at the time didn't want me to say anything for fear of reprisal. There is a whole lot more to this story, but I believe I've run out of the allotted words. I would not even them rate them 1 star nor do I recommend anyone going there. Since we are not rich, hoping to win the lottery so we can move to CA, they do transplants until your 72nd birthday.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

When asking how long will my wait be that I’ve seen everyone before and everyone after me being seen and I’m still sitting there trying to be patient through my pain I asked how many more people are before me and what number of priority am I because I clearly had a severe headache, chest pain and spasms in my neck with a tingling sensation down my arms to my hands and their incompetent selves look at each other as if the had no idea what I was talking about. When asking for a supervisor she came out and said they wouldn’t know. Clearly to be an administrative Assistant reading medical terminology along with coding is part of study right. I promise I’ll be working on transferring my medical records and business elsewhere because Henry Ford system is just not for me.

If I passed out driving back home because I’m in more pain sitting up in that uncomfortable lobby chair that would’ve been a lawsuit right 2 different Henry Ford Facilities Fairlane and Main Campus and the wait is 4-5 hours to sit in a lobby but they make sure you checked in to bill your insurance right. All because my mom raised me going to Henry Ford Hospitals and being in their network I figured I’ll stay because they have all my medical background from a child to adulthood. Bye Henry Ford. I’m sure my original doctors and nurses are far off into retirement somewhere. The ones that actually had the skills, passion and hospitality all around to care for patients properly and timely. Henry Ford sucks.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

This is the second time I review Henry Ford Hospital in downtown Detroit, MI, or the Henry Ford Health System in general describing it, again, that it is worse than hospitals in the Third World countries. My 17-year-old son has been sick for two weeks now. When he first started throwing up we tried to make an appointment with his doctor, but Henry Ford refused and told us to take him to emergency. When we got the ER in Dearborn, they decided after four hours to send him by ambulance to Children's Hospital. At Children's it was worse. He waited with his mother about 10 hours and at midnight was send back home without knowing what was wrong with him. No diagnosis and no medication whatsoever.

We tried again to follow up with his Henry Ford primary Doctor when his condition worsened, but we were declined and directed again to their no-use ER. Finally, we took him to a local Urgent Care clinic and he was diagnosed with ear infection and bronchitis. He came home with medication which helped him a little and finally made him recover after 8 days in pain and agony. Henry Ford had no clue to what was wrong with him and no diagnosis and did not even care about his health. After that we were still concerned about his health, so we scheduled an appointment for him with ENT doctor at Henry Ford Hospital downtown. The appointment was confirmed by a scheduler at Henry For at 1:00 P.M. In fact, it was twice confirmed. When we got there, they said his appointment was 2:30 P.M. instead of 1:00 P.M., without any explanation to the confirmations we got.

Anyways, we had to get ready before noon to go to downtown, only to make us wait another 5-6 hours. On top of that and to make matters worse, they refused to have ENT Doctor see him. Instead, they had scheduled the appointment with a nurse practitioner. With all due respect to all nurses, we had so many questions and concerns obviously and we wanted to ask the Specialist Doctor all kinds of questions about my son, but apprently Henry Ford Hospital did not care enough to have a specialist examine him after 10 days of illness.

Now, this is infuriating and very frustrating. If you do not have the proper care or you don't give a damn about a patient, say so. Then, we can never set a foot in Henry Ford system's clinic or hospital again. We do have our health Insurance and we do not need this aggravation and insouciant attitude and horrible service. Our children are our lives and for a Hospital to treat us like that is inexcusable and unfair. I call upon all parents to ponder this and call Henry Ford for what it is and spread the word of shoddy medical care and terrible service.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

This is the worst hospital I have ever known! I debated on doing this review and prayed about it but felt it is necessary to possibly save others from the nightmare we experienced with our love one! I am going to try to keep this as short as possible but detailed and factual. My fiancé had been going to Henry Ford hospital for many years as he was a transplant patient. He had, what he referred to as a passionate and knowledgeable doctor. This doctor since retired, and he was forced to obtain a new doctor. His health began to get worse following from multiple hospitalizations and deteriorating health issues. It seemed he consistently got the run around with this hospital to where he would voice something was wrong with his health and they ignored him until things got worse, then they started what appeared to be experimental treatments.

He was using Henry Ford Hospital Downtown Detroit for many years and recently began using the Wyandotte location. Needless to say that both are terrible hospitals! However it seems that the Wyandotte location is worse as they appear limited in staff, technology, knowledge and definitely lack bed side manners! My fiancé started to have issues with circulation in his foot over a year ago. He informed them multiple and they did nothing until it was too late as they seemed to do with his other health issues he experienced. After months of him suffering with foot pain, they ended up amputating his toe, and forcefully sent him home with a visiting nurse. They did this each time he was hospitalized.

There was one time over the summer where he was hospitalized & they discharged him and I had to call the ambulance the next day as he became disorientated. He informed me after he came into consciousness that one of the doctors said it was a good thing I called because he was experiencing a significant health issue. Really, so why did they discharge him in that condition? He had the toe amputation and was hospitalized at the Detroit location & they literally kicked him out not long following the surgery...I heard the doctor, as I was on the phone with him, telling him, after he was informing her that he was not well enough to leave, “No you have to go, you’ve gotten the best care!” Very cold and Insensitive to say the least.

Well they sent him home by cab and myself and the cab driver had to help him into the house as he could not walk. They did not set up any after care services but an in home nurse again that came out & did nothing! I told her he could not care for himself as he could not walk. She then had to call to get emergency rehab set up for him. This was unreal that they would kick him out after a toe amputation with ...how was he suppose to care for himself? They did not give him the dignity to even try to find out what, who or where he would get care for after returning home. They did not treat him like a human being.

Well from there he went down hill fast! He ended up back and forth in the hospital (Henry Ford Wyandotte) his foot got worse and they amputated the entire foot. Sent him to their horrible rehab center with deep bed sores, a bad heart and still in horrible pain. He was in no condition to go to rehab whatsoever! But they incompetently proceeded with sending him anyways as they do not care! It is all about money to them.

The hospital allowed him to get significant bed sores and then sent him to rehab in this condition. The rehab center did not care...I had to ask the nurse to do something about his bed sores and she got him a pain patch...ridiculous to say the least! They also allowed him to lie in his stool and urine for hours which is why he got the bed sores in the first place. While I was visiting him it was terrible to see how they were treating him...he pushed his button to get some help to go to the bathroom & after 10 minutes no one came so I had to go to the nursing station and they looked at me like I was crazy. An aid volunteered but she was extremely rude, snatching his cords out of the wall and rudely questioning me as to what my relationship is with him instead of getting him to the bathroom as he was in pain. It was a very disturbing experience.

My fiancé suffered of this horrible and cold hospital. I got a call from this hospital that changed my life forever...when they called me and told me he was found unresponsive in his bed at the rehab center! This hospital said he had a heart attack...they knew he had a bad heart so why didn’t they have him hooked to a heart monitor? Again, poor care!

They placed him in intensive care and on a ventilator. They did another amputation on his leg as they said he had an infection but they knew when they did the first amputation. After a few weeks on the ventilator they sent a nurse practitioner to talk us into taking him off the ventilator. This nurse practitioner seemed heartless and cold as he discussed our love one’s prognosis. My fiancé was taken off his ventilator and passed away there in that cold heartless hospital! It was the worst experience ever! I would not recommend this hospital or their rehab center to my worst enemy! If I could give them a negative zero star I would. If you love your relative please take them to another hospital!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

My 81 y/o father was admitted through ER at his doctor's request. It was the closest hospital to our home, not our primary hospital. My father was not given his medication on time. They would take his blood pressure in the late afternoon and wonder why it was so high. He normally takes his high blood pressure meds in the morning. Most days, he had to remind them to provide him his medications. The food was awful. He rarely ate. He went almost a week without a shower. He had to ask them. The aide was asked to come back because a specialist was supposed to arrive at 2:00 p.m., (never showed up) and aide agreed to come back later to give him a shower. The aide never returned. He was left to lay in his hospital bed for 10 days and only got up to go to the bathroom. He was seen by physical therapy the second day he was admitted and then never again seen.

Imagine, my father is 81 y/o, without his 2 hearing aids because they could get lost, fall out or be stolen. He was in a weakened state due to severe edema that left his atrophied and unable to even lift himself. He was unable to urinate and left with soaked pads on his front and back for hours. He was supposed to be sent to a rehab center. They were waiting for a urologist to come in to speak with my father and give him a diagnosis that would tell him what was going on with his bladder. The doctor never showed up. My mother just happened to bring him a few clothes and a jacket, thinking he might be going to rehab. She waited several hours and finally, had to go home because she also is 81 y/o, unable to hear, see well, recovering from a broken wrist that is giving her trouble, and didn't feel comfortable driving in the dark.

They told her she had to drive my father to the rehab center. My mother said to the nurse, "You are out of your mind. He is catheterized and is in a weakened state. They said "We'll call a van." My mother was then instructed to pay them $200.00 or they wouldn't call the van service. My mother handed over her credit card. There was no social worker, no case worker, and no one to tell her the exact name of the rehab center, no phone number was given to her and she had no idea what van service took him. He was taken out of the hospital in nothing but a hospital gown and they did not dress him. The van driver provided him a blanket. My mother was never given a diagnosis on anything that was found to be the cause of the edema or difficulties with the bladder. She was contacted by the rehab facility and had no idea if my father had arrived or not.

This is the worst treatment of an elderly patient and family that I've ever witnessed. They literally kicked him out almost naked, without seeing a urologist, etc., and no mention of a case worker to help my mother navigate his transfer or ask if she needed anything. I will NEVER go to Henry Ford Macomb. They are either working with a skeleton crew, can't find descent workers, over work their staff, or are cutting back services. They have 1 valet worker for the entire hospital. It is a complete mess. I wouldn't bring my dog to this hospital.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I came in to see Dr. **, the podiatrist because I thought I may have stepped on something, like a rock [nothing metal-like]. When I came in to see the doctor, I was told by the nurse to immediately go get an X-Ray of my foot. I told her I wanted to speak with the doctor first before doing anything because I felt it could be quickly taken out [whatever was in there].

She went to the doctor and returned to say he insisted that I go get an X-Ray [all the while I still haven't seen him yet]. So I went across the hall and consulted with [and complained to] the technician about not even having seen the doctor but am required to take the X-Ray. She agreed with me and sent me back to the office where I spoke with the nurse and told her the technician sent me back to speak with the doctor. Then, the nurse consulted with the doctor and returned to say that Dr. ** refuses to see me without an X-Ray and sent me back to the X-Ray room. Upset that I have to get an X-Ray for something so small but painful, I took an X-Ray just to talk to the doctor.

When the X-Ray came in, I finally met with Dr. ** and he surprisingly said, "There's nothing on the X-Ray!". Well, I know that! I would have told him that if he would have spoken to me at first! Then he quickly took a look at my foot and I explained that I thought I stepped on a little rock/stone. Without ANY local anesthesia, he took out this thick, round, pointy instrument and proceeded to gouge my heel deeply, trying to get the rock out, but nothing came out. I thought at least he would take out a scalpel and make a small opening to peek inside or something, at least! He even laughed and was surprised why I wasn't making any sounds of pain. I proceeded to tell him that I didn't want to make my son [who is 7 years old] upset that I was in any pain. I saw how my son was looking with huge eyes at the whole procedure and seeing the blood coming out in great quantity.

Weeks later, my heel wasn't healing well and I still felt that there still was something in my heel. So, I decided to visit another podiatrist at the St. Johns System. Within 3 minutes flat, the new doctor diagnosed that there wasn't a rock in my heel but a plantar wart was growing. No Xrays done. He gave be two options of treatment and I opted for the full-removal of the wart that day. He removed it, showed me the nodule and sent it out to pathology for "just in case" tests. Nothing came out of it and I'm healed now. Dr. Mark ** at Henry Ford was irresponsible for not seeing a patient first to see what the situation is really about, even after my insistence to see him first. The entire procedure and experience with Dr. ** was totally unnecessary. Now I'm stuck with a bill for an X-Ray that I didn't want in the first place and was avoidable.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I had to see a neurologist after I went to the E.R. Both places tried to give me a med that swell up my throat. That was after we talked about it. They don't give two rats ** if you are in major pain and they have the proof they would rather stick you with a needle, give you something that don't work or you can't take and send you to someone else.

Henry Ford Hospital Company Information