Cedars-Sinai Medical Center

Los Angeles, CA

Compare Hospitals

Research top Hospitals recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Today 11/1/2016 around 6:45 pm I experience the worst customer service while being 4 weeks away from my due date. I stood by my sister side as she had a C section and walked to the recovery room afterwards by her side because my mom could not make it from Arizona after her own surgery. The father entered the room to see my new nephew and nurse Jaime said I could not be in the room and keep in mind a women next to us had 2 guest but for some reason she chose me to pick on me. As I go to the hallway she escorts me from the hallway as well as I was leaning on the wall to catch my breath because again I am 4 weeks away from my due date. Nurse Jaime has made it the worst experience. I would never recommend this hospital.

I've been to a lot of hospitals and Cedars is one of the best. I spent 6 weeks on the 4th & 5th floor and received excellent care from the nurses. I have left AMA from many hospitals because after being in there for a while they would throw you on the back burner and you weren't that important to care for. At Cedars the nurses made sure everyone of their patients received around the clock care. I had awesome nurses who on days when I wasn't so easy for them to handle still gave me exceptional care. All the nurses were great. So to nurses Claudia, Gina, Angela, Joseph, Trina, Victor, Karly, Izabell, Rheema, Victoria, Vanessa and all the rest of the nursing staff thank you but most of all my super nurse Camea, who made me feel like I had nothing to worry about, like she already knew who you were and she did it in a very professional way as they all were the best nursing staff I ever had.

But people give nurses a hard time sometimes thinking they are nothing but waiters and waitresses. But take into consideration that nurses see things that we may never see and wouldn't want to see, and everyday they still come to work only to do it all over again and still be able to cheer you up when all they want to do is get you back to health. So a big Mahalo's to every nurse in the world for without nurses there would be a lot of sick and injured people out there. Just think if we didn't have a nurse when we were hospitalized. A little perspective to think about next time you're hospitalized. THANK YOU.

We brought a beautiful 17 year old to this hospital for treatment of moderate case of proctitis. She was put on steroid injection for 5 days and all her symptoms disappeared. The pediatric GI recommended to start her on ** at their outpatient clinic. My child was on this med for 13 months and was getting this medication every six weeks even though she had no sign or symptoms of her illness (the routine scheduled infusion is every eight weeks!). For each infusion our insurance was charged about 10,000$. During the last months of treatment with ** my daughter started losing hair and developed low grade fever and an enlarged lymph node. Even the nurses were concerned but our doctor claimed that none of these are caused by ** and the reason for hair loss is that "she keeps playing with her hair".

When we told the doctor that we have googled about this issue and many patients are complaining about the same side effect we were told by our doctor and nurse practitioner that we should not google about this med and ** does not cause hair loss. On February 7th my child received her last infusion even though her lymph node was as large as a walnut. In the period of 4 weeks after the infusion my child lost all her hair including eyebrows and eyelashes and diagnosed with Alopecia Universalis. There is no word that can describe our pain and devastation. She is severely disfigured and damaged, even her old friends can not recognise her anymore.

On top of that our doctor would not tell us how and why this happened and was telling us that "SHE HAS DEVELOPED ANOTHER AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE". We have seen so many doctors and they all agreed that she should not go back on ** ever again and there are so many medical reports and studies from all around the world that Alopecia is a known side effect of **. Two months later we saw another UCLA GI doctor and we found out that our Cedars GI doctor has already contacted him and he was also trying to tell us the same story that out of the blue she has developed another autoimmune disease. We are disgusted and sad at the behavior and conduct of these doctors. It took me months of struggle to be able to open up and share this experience.

Awesome. Doctors ** are brilliant, funny and personable. ** fixed my back like magic. I was in so much pain and while even considering my point of view he 'humored' me on my fictitious fractured back. I hope it's not even though I bet him 50 bucks it was, he can take from his fee cause it took an hour and a half to get from blessed dinner Santa Monica to cedars and X-ray which was no waiting. Traffic was smooth back to bickers vile a hundred miles away and I'm never going to Beverly Hills again - traffic is a zoo but every agonizing second was thank god worth it. I learned so much in the experience where there are real doctors and define toy worth the trip. Thanks to Doctor **'s young assistant Doctor who looked at my neuropathy and listen to my rhetoric and said I had character which meant a lot. God bless. They're awesome.

I attended an hour long education class for pre-diabetes management on 4/15/16 conducted by a diabetes registered nurse and on 5/6/16 by a registered dietician. My co-pay was $40 for each class. In May 2016, I received a bill for $360.91 for the 4/15/16 class and another $360.91 for the 5/6/16 class is to be expected as my insurance has already sent me a notice. There were no treatments or procedures performed. Of course I was stunned when I saw how much I am being charged.

I called CSMC Billing Dept to ask for reconsideration such as a reduction. Instead I was told to apply for Financial Assistance though I informed the staff that I would not be approved as I am not in the poverty level. But the total expense of $800 is just too much. I am seeking your help to get the charges reduced and to pay in installments to make it easy. I certainly would appreciate your assistance before my bills are sent to collection agency as I learned.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cedars-Sinai Medical Center?

Cedars-Sinai Health Plan which is a HMO, does not have the best doctors. I went there for a total mastectomy. The surgeon originally told me that he would operate in the morning and be released that afternoon which is ridiculous and dangerous IMO. I told the surgeon that I would need to be in the hospital 3 days in order to be able to go into a care facility since I did not live in Los Angeles and would need care and help. He ordered me kicked out the next day. The so-called Care Managers at Cedars came to my room to tell me that I didn't need any physical therapy or occupational therapy which it turns out is a lie.

They sent me to a L.A. County facility which they said was a 'care' center. It was a rundown x-motel that the County turned into a drug and alcohol motel. Not a care center. The filth and odor in the room they put me in was overpowering. They locked the front door at 7 pm and there were no employees present till after 8 am the next morning. The 'inmates' were in the office making their own coffee. This is just a preview of what happened to me. It is a long horrific tale. Cedars is an awful place. The nurses try, but their hands are tied.

A charge nurse named Crystal at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center 5 North was the charge nurse for 2 days while my mother was there. She was rude from the second we got there. I was discussing my mother's feeding - tube feedings with a very nice nurse only to discover that the orders were wrong. While I was explaining them to my mother's nurse the charge nurse decided to interrupt our conversation in a very rude way and then called my mother's doctor and like a child complained about me to the doctor. I find that to be so childish and immature. I have spoken to MANY nurses in the past who appreciated the knowledge I have regarding my mother's care and always thanked me. So I am just going to laugh at how a grown woman acts like a little girl tattletale because I questioned the orders.

While working for Cedars, I was severely injured. I have been treated less than desirable since my work related injury. I was refused to stay on modified duty, my TTD was discontinued secondary to a hand written note by the AME (it took 11.5 months for the AME narrative report), then TD was not paid for another 10 months. I was forced into the State system (SSDI). During this time, I had to get examined by the State IME (this quack also does QMEs for Cedars- who was on state probation from doing QMEs at the time), denied my claim, which was later reversed.

During one of my surgeries to repair my hip from the original fall, severe damage to my heel while my leg was in traction, Cedars refused to take responsibility for the negligence. I was forced to go thru my private ins to obtain treatment for the injured part. I had to rec surgery, and pay out of pocket for repair the heel. As my case went thru the state system, my SSDI was denied, appeal was lost, had to refile (1 year and 2 months later, no response from SSDI, so I am not on anyone’s payroll). I have had 4 surgeries in 3 years.

After 3 years of not being at work, Cedars still refuse to allow me to return to modified duty. Then I rec a letter that because of my 'serious medical condition', Cedars was stopping their sponsorship of my Medical plan (so now I get to pay just under 700 a month for Cobra). Fast forward 1 year, last month I rec another letter from Cedars that 'because of your serious medical condition' I was being terminated. In summary, because of negligence at my area of work, I rec a severe work related injury because other employees did not maintain a safe work environment, so I had a slip and fall injury. Cedars has treated me as if I am disposable, stopped all pay, refused to treat me for further injuries I incurred while under general anesthesia at Cedars, stopped my health care, and now terminated me. Go figure......

My niece went to this hospital for emergency back surgery. Three days after having two surgeries, the day nurse came into her room doing shift change and stated to the nurse coming that my niece was HIV positive. This caused my niece to be very upset because she was not aware of it nor does she believe it. It was stated by the incoming nurse, it must be a mistake and that it would be investigated. This was devastating to my niece especially since she had just had two units of blood transfused the day before. It took 2 days before the error was cleared up. She noticed that some of the nurses are treating her like it was true, even though a new test was negative.

It was determined it was mistakenly put in her medical file after her second surgery that week, and will be deleted from her records. However, no one knows how it got there in the first place. This caused my niece stress level to elevate, caused unnecessary anxiety, emotional stress, sleeplessness, worry, while she is in extreme pain from her two back surgeries. Her surgery doctor is a good physician, and did a good job with her surgery. God bless him for his hands and helping to clean her records. But, this should not happen to anyone. It felt like a death sentence to my niece who is over 50 years old. Some of the nurses she feel are staying away from her like she has a disease. Emotionally stressed while trying to recover. I am angry too!

Found out earlier today that she had several painful pinched nerves in neck and disc disease. While at home when she moved her neck, she couldn't get air and was coughing, had a choking sensation. It happened several times, very frightening episodes. I took her to the hospital. They did the vitals and after about fifteen minutes (there was no one else in the waiting room but they said they were very busy in the back). They did come immediately to verify insurance information. In the back I noticed many of the rooms were empty. Except for one where two residents were doing many tests.

My wife was having trouble breathing and very exhausted not being able to sleep many days due to pain. We came to the hospital after 1am. My wife was sitting up at the foot of the bed coughing profusely and obviously having a hard time with her breathing. No one came in except someone telling her to remove her clothes and put on a gown in a freezing cold room. I told her to put her sweater over it. She was pacing having trouble. After about 40 minutes, she hit the button for the nurse - no one responded. She went out to find a nurse but did not see one.

The two doctors were parked outside the room we were in and proceeded to have an hour long consult with each other and phone call about the man we saw in one room who they loudly spoke about having a gunshot wound below the knee, etc., etc. They saw my poor wife, poke her head out a few times hoping someone would come in but no one did. Around 3:20 we decided to try one more time to find a nurse but didn't see anyone. Then I said I would find another hospital. We told the person at the desk we were upset my wife was not seen by a doctor or a nurse and instead of trying to help she said, "No problem, you're out of the system - you can leave." Same response at registration. We said this was a horrible hospital experience and no one said anything except that they see that we are out of the system. I have heard of some good doctors affiliated with Cedar Sinai. Wonder what they have to say about our night at that hospital. I would venture to say one of the worst hospitals I've ever seen.

I was wrongfully discharged on 8/14/13 after 2 hours in the CMSC/ER/Dr ** even I have a list of symptoms from double vision, rash, fever, breathing, high blood pressure, rectal bleeding plus my terminal illness. They sent me home without any medications. They said that I have to wait for my other clinic. I have Healthy Way LA insurance, no Obama care/any insurance will work if hospitals like "Celebs/Elite Cedars Sinai" won't admit people.

While I was there I witness this frail old man in his wheel chair doing circles, hit his head with his cane, groaning in pain, no nurses, security, volunteers, workers come to help. Agencies please ask for the videotape that morning 9 to noon to investigate for the elderly & terminal illness. Until CSMC stop discarding people to the street than we will have a good insurance, this practice is unethical & inhumane. The hospital was built on donations, they should give back to the people by treating them. Please help if you are lawyers, media, agencies... can do something about it. The elderly & sick will thank you. America thank you.

My son's first child was born at Cedars on Nov 6, 2012. Labor and delivery care was excellent. Postpartum care in the South Tower was terrible. The nursing staff was slovenly in appearance, indifferent and surly in demeanor. They did not hang my daughter-in-laws IV, just left the bag sitting on the bed, impeding the mother's recovery. I believe this is one of the reasons her milk did not come in. They never bathed the baby. They never sent in the lactation nurse so baby did not feed for 9 hours. I believe this is a second reason why the mother's milk did not come in. Nurses gave the baby a pacifier to shut her up which confused her for breast feeding. They came home after two nights in the hospital.

The following morning, the pediatrician found that the baby had lost almost one pound (13% of her body weight), was dehydrated and had a high bilirubin level. I believe not feeding for the first 9 hours contributed to the high bilirubin level. If the baby had been feeding, it would have processed out of her body. If you are going to use this hospital, I strongly recommend hiring a professional advocate to ensure that the lazy, incompetent staff does their job. As first time parents, one does not know what to expect. I am sure that the hospital has many fine, capable staff, but it only takes the indifference of one staff member to do irreparable harm. If they show such indifference towards small issues, how can they be trusted at all? I can only say that I am grateful my family was not seriously harmed.

I chose to have back surgery at Cedar's Sinai Medical Center on June 7, 2010 only to regret it later. I arrived at the hospital at 4:45 am on that day with severe back pain and I asked the admittance desk clerk for an ice pack to help ease the pain that I was having. I was told by the admittance clerk that she had to go to the emergency area to get it but instead she returned to her desk and continue whatever it was she was doing. Fifteen minutes later, a second admittance clerk came and repeated the same thing as the first clerk. At that point, I said just get the ice she rolled her eyes and went back to the desk and start talking to the first clerk.

Fifteen minutes later, the second clerk got up and went to the emergency area to get the ice but walked like it would be a couple hours before she would return. When she did return, she handed me the ice but did not assist me to place it underneath me and I stated to her that I could not put it underneath me. She ignored me and the guard looked at her and apologized and came over and placed the ice pack underneath me. The pain eased up for a moment but I was still very uncomfortable and needed to lay down to take the pressure off my back but was told that I had to wait until the registration office open up and to go there before I could be taken to be prep for surgery.

Another fifteen passed before I was wheeled to the eight floor where there was no one there and I asked the attended how long would I be there, because I could not just sit there in this pain and he said no one was be on duty until 6:00 a.m. and he left. Full of agony and pain I could do nothing but cry and pray that someone would come to rescue me but no one did. However, ten minutes later, the attendant came back with a pillow and gave it to me. I thanked him and took the pillow and got on the floor to take the pressure off of my back.

While lying on the floor several people passed by and looked at me including doctors and nurses, but no one said and word nor offer to help me. It seems like an hour when the same admittance clerk came up to that floor with a group of people who were wondering why I was on the floor and ask me if I needed help. I said yes and and one lady asked the admittance clerk could she call someone that could bring me a guard and she said that she could not do anything because she only admitted people someone would be on duty shortly.

Finally the prep nurse came and asked that all that were there for surgery to follow her. She looked down at me and asked if I needed help to go the prep room. I said yes and she assisted me to get up off the floor in the wheel chair. The prep room was like stalls for each individual which accommodated forty people. The people waiting for surgery were very loud including the doctors and nurses, which caused me to have an anxiety attack. After the surgery, I thought things would go well but I could not get the food that I requested and each meal had to be returned to the point that the food manager came to find out what the problem was and tried to make thing right but at no avail. Finally I was told by one food clerk that if I wanted good food, I would have to pay $199.00 per week for that.

The next day, I was transferred to the rehabilitation flood where there was another experience that I could not handle. The nurse assistance did not speak nor understood English well enough to assist me which created stress for me, trying to explain to them that I had back surgery and could not be moved without assistance and that I needed help to get to the bathroom. Those that worked at night just could not seem to get things right. They would try to push me, pull me, and could not understand the care that had to be given to me because of the back surgery. On two occasions for several hours, I had to lay in my own urine because no one would answer the call button or I would just have to get up on my own to get to the bathroom, so I would not have to lay in my urine to the point were they had to put a buzzer to let them know that I was trying to get out of bed.

The night staff were not informed as to why I was there and what care I needed which made thing worse. I asked the doctor why they did not let the nurses and helpers on duty know what care I needed and what were the dos and don't for me. They could not get my medication right as to what I was suppose to be taking and the medicine I brought in, they could not find it and tried to give me something else.

The second day signs were posted on the wall and the door that I could not bend, left or twist and the room should stay warm. The worst thing that could happen to a person is to have someone waiting on you and you can not communicate with them because they don't speak English. I was so stressed out when I got home that I could not sleep and had to take medication to do so.

My daughter was being treated at Cedars Sinai Hospital since she was diagnosed with cancer in April. During the many stays at the hospital, there had been some issues (most did not result in any harm to my child, only because I was there to stop them before they occurred). The first incident was the nurse reading the label on the bottle wrong and was pouring a dose of medication 2 times the amount that was supposed to be given. I am a pediatric nurse by the way. After arguing with me for a while, she finally asked her superior and guess what? I was right.

The second incident, a nurse was to start an IV antibiotic. She fiddled with the pump, clearly not knowing what she was doing. I asked her if it was running, she insisted it was. After several attempts to tell her it was not running, I had to get the supervisor and guess what? It was not running. While there, my daughter, because of the chemo was getting nauseous and vomiting when she smelled the food. One dietitian came in and spoke with her and offered her food from the 8th floor menu (this menu being a lot different since it feeds the social elite of LA). In any case, my daughter was able to tolerate this food except that the hospital refused to give it to her. When I spoke to another dietitian, she said how do you know about the 8th floor food? She then said she would see what she could do and told me that if my daughter could not stand the smell of the trays, they would not send anymore trays. Guess what? They did not send anymore trays nor did they send any more food.

My daughter was sick with cancer, 38lbs at 7 years old and they rather starve her than feed her the food that they did have available to the 8th floor patients. My husband and I had to provide breakfast, lunch and dinner for her. This was a financial burden on us and unnecessary. She also lost more weight! The worst experience came July 9th, when she had a follow-up MRI. Two staff members held down my daughter while she was kicking and screaming to stop. She said she told them to stop over and over again, but they held her until they could sedate her. When my husband finally lost it and was verbal to them, they treated him like a criminal. When I later went to pick her up, I was questioned by a social worker as to how we raise our children. She was insinuating my husband was violent and may be abusive to our children.

Let me tell you I would have pulled them off of her and no, I am not abusive. We need to protect our children from incompetent staff like we experienced this day. The hospital later called the Department of Children and Families on us. When they came out, we knew who called by the questions they asked, which by the way were the most insane things I have ever heard in my life. So to make things sort, my daughter was denied the appropriate diet she needed in the hospital and allowed to lose further weight all the while knowing she was losing weight from the chemo. Her rights were abused when they physically restrained her to get their job done. They should have rescheduled knowing how scared she was and they filed a false and malicious report to DCF regarding our ability as parents.

This is immoral and disgusting. I want the social worker's license to be investigated. I want the staff who held down my child, while she was screaming, investigated and I want the hospital investigated for not providing meals to my child when they were available. I think some of the nurses need refresher courses as to how to run IV pumps, how to flush PICC line (they clogged up my daughter's because they were using the wrong size syringe). I had to tell this nurse that she needed a 10 cc syringe and she clearly stated "I didn't know that"!

On May 22 I had a dental exam with Dr. Weizenberg. The exam result was I had a cracked tooth and a gap tooth. I wanted to get my tooth spaceless so I asked him what would be the best solution to fixed the gap between my tooth. I wanted to get a crown but he insisted to get an onlay since it last long. Then on June 6, he did the onlay to my tooth and I felt good. But then I had checked to another dentist at USC school and the x-ray showed that the tooth was cracked.

It showed that Dr. Weizenberg instead fixing my tooth, he made my tooth cracked and sensitive. And the dentist recommended that I should get my tooth redo with a crown and possibly a root canal, which is even worse I had to pay thousand dollars more due the inexperienced dentist at Cedar-Sinai. I asked for the dentist at Cedar-Sinai to redo it again but they refused to do so and they said they will charged for emergency visit. They will also refused to give a refund. Another case was since Dr. Weizenberg left on June. I was transferred to another dentist, Dr. Brandon Seto.

I spoke to Theresa, the receptionist, and she said I needed to pay for another teeth exam for $56. I asked her why do I have to pay another exam. And she said it was because I was transferred to another dentist and I have to be treated as a new patient. Then on June 6 I agreed to pay $56. Dr Seto only take a look at my tooth but didn't take the X-ray. And he recommended me to get the crown on the cracked tooth and scheduled me another appointment on August 4. On August 4, I paid full amount for $726 for crown procedure and Dr Seto, put temporary cap on my tooth.

However, on September 5, I got a bill statement from Cedar-Sinai, said that On August 4, I owed $75 for emergency visit. And I call Sandra, person who in charge with billing, and I told her that my visit was not for an emergency visit on August 4, it should have been no charged since the dentist working on crown procedure. She refused to void the bill and insisted that it was for emergency visit which it's not, I was scheduled for a Crown. My question are how can I can get my $300 and $75 dollars back.

I was told to get an onlay($300) by Dr Weizenberg but I wanted to get a crown, and he just made a huge cracked on my tooth and made my tooth sensitive and full of bacteria. Instead of paying $500 for a Crown, I had to pay $1500 for root canal and a crown due to inexperienced dentist, Dr. Weizenberg, at Cedar-Sinai

Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Company Profile