2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Yamaha Generators Reviews

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I bought two Yamaha 2000si inverters for use with my new trailer in August 2017. I've not had to use them camping until last September. On a week long trip, I hooked them up together in a dry camp area (no power water or sewer). I hooked them together and used the generators for a day to run the air conditioner. At night to secure the units I removed the cables carefully so I could chain the generators to a tree for the night. Both ends of the black power cable failed leaving the center pins in the generators. I got a local handyman to secure the pins so that I could use the generators for the rest of the week. This was the only time I've used the cable.

My dealer (Guaranty RV of Junction City, OR) told me that the warranty had run out. I've tried to contact Yamaha for the past six months but keep getting the run around. Since this is a proprietary hook up and the quality control on manufacturing the cable is Lacking! I recommend getting a Honda set up to avoid this kind of problem. I wanted a free replacement cable and rather than junk $2,000.00 I spent on these generators, I'll have to buy a new cable for another $100.00. I will quality check the pins at the dealer before I buy it. There is NO customer satisfaction avenue available through Yamaha. I've given up on being sent from phone number (800) 452-2623 to (866) 788-7398 and back to the same (800) number and back to the same (866) without ever getting to someone who would listen or care about customer satisfaction or product review. Can't Get There From Here!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have a Yamaha Generator model 6300 with only 30 hours on it and is 5 years old. Was going to use it on a camping trip, so tested it to see how it would run and it would not generate power. Took it to a Yamaha dealer who tested it and the control units need to be replaced. The cost would have been over 2,000.00 with parts and labor to fix and Yamaha would not do anything and I am very disgusted with the results. If you have any questions you can call me.

Get buying tips about Generators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2017

It's very well made compared to the previous generator I owned. I made a list of different brands and then compared them in price, run time, power output. In the end I went with the Yamaha because it was the cheapest but offered good performance. I like that it's portable but has a lot of power. It always starts right away when I start it and haven't had any problems with it. But I'd want it to run longer and have a better ignition than pull start. It would make it a lot better but they're not must haves. Also it would be nice if it wasn't so loud.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I went to Home Depot and talked to someone from their floor crew, then did the same with Lowe's. I found the Lowe's staff member to be more knowledgeable, and he suggested I get the Yamaha. So I purchased the Yamaha and haven't looked back. I like the durability and reliability. Works every time I need it, which is something I haven't had so much luck with in the past with generators. Probably the best one yet. Couldn't be more satisfied and I will most likely stick with this brand in the future.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I got this generator from Amazon and it took four days to get here. I saw that Yamaha made generators. I had to buy it because they have made great stuff in the past I liked. I was right. This generator is great and a must have for a power out or camping trip. I like the color and how powerful it is compared to other generators. It also lasts for a very long time running a good amount of power. It is very very quiet when it is on. That's my best part about it. However, it would be great if it could stay on for about eight days straight and not need any gas. I wish it was more lightweight too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yamaha Generators?

Original review: July 9, 2017

Yamaha motors are easily the best of the best and this generator is small lightweight and quite powerful which is key especially when you have to put it on the back of an ATV. I first researched it online and looked at possibly buying it online but later went with heading to a Yamaha dealer where I looked at the options available and bought the best one that would fit my needs. It also runs forever on 1 tank of gas. It’s a perfect little power house that will last forever. Maybe the pull start will wear over time but I don’t see that being a problem for a long time.

Original review: July 3, 2017

This machine is great. I began with an online search of the Home Depot, and determined they had it in stock and at that price. The next step was to drive to the Home Depot, and actually make the purchase. I paid cash so the process was simple. I like that on my Generator there are the 6 outlets and the 220 side, also it is easy to start, and runs for 8 hours. It also has an overheat alarm and an emergency shut off. It has a frame that is equipped with wheels, and a wheel lock too. It has performed flawlessly, and met every one of my expectations. I would buy the same brand again.

Original review: May 30, 2017

The generator was on sale and I knew the name Yamaha plus recommended so got it at an attractive price. There were other options but this generator had good look and feel. It was easy to carry since light and portable so I could use it for tailgating. It is powerful for all my needs and the brand is reliable as well. The product works great.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I did a lot of research online and looked in store. I only wanted one that would be used as backup for small power outs. Mostly for food to not go bad. I stock pile food and would not be happy if it went bad. I have no family or friends who could keep that much food for me at one time until power came back on. The Yamaha generator is much quieter than the others I looked at and is smaller. However, it is heavy for me to move, type of gas needed. But for the money and what I want it for, it's good.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Yamaha Generators offered the best value. It was clean, provided great wattage, and easy to use. It's a brand I trust. I like that it can generate electricity without the need to be plugged up. It's like having a mini portable power plant at your side. I find the generator to be quite useful and I love using it in the winter to save on electricity. It helps to keep the house warm. It also helps in the summer to keep the house cool.

Yamaha Generators author review by ConsumerAffairs

Yamaha has been designing and manufacturing a wide range of products for over 130 years, including musical instruments, electronics and power sports equipment. It began making generators in 1973 and today offers 14 models of inverter and premium-grade industrial generators.

• Inverter generators: Yamaha’s line of inverter generators includes eight models ranging in output from 1,000-6,300 watts. Models come with varying special features, but most include a fuel petcock to prevent stale gas and gummed-up carburetors, a smart throttle that changes speed based on load and an oil watch warning system that prevents engine damage caused by low oil levels.

• Industrial generators: Yamaha has six models of premium-grade industrial generators that range in output from 2,600-12,000 watts. These industrial, portable generators are ideal for camping, tailgating and other outdoor activities, as well as running home appliances in emergency circumstances. Most industrial models can provide around eight hours of power on a single tank of fuel. Yamaha includes an online chart under each model that shows the capabilities and applications of each unit.

• Included accessories: Yamaha includes free generator oil, fuel protection and shipping on all of its generators. Orders received by 12:00pm CST will ship on the same day.

• Warranties: All Yamaha generators come with a three-year limited warranty with the option of adding up to six years of an extended warranty at an additional cost.

• Pricing: Prices for the inverter generators range from $791.10-$3,689.10 depending on the output capacity. Prices for the industrial models range from $749-$3,959.10 depending on the output capacity.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team