Whirlpool Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Whirlpool Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

Why am I not surprised by this stupid American company? I purchased a brand new fridge in June this year and for the last 5 months I have had about 20 different technician visits by five different technicians who changed almost everything you could possibly imagine - evaporator, control, sensor, compressor, display, etc., etc. And the company still refused to take any responsibilities. They kept telling me that more inspection was needed EVEN AFTER all the technicians said there was NOTHING THEY COULD DO.

After having to yell at them for about an hour, they finally realized they had to issue me a new fridge. What a piece of crap they are. Even then when I called back about the exchange, they pretended they could not find my file. WTF??? They really tried EVERYTHING they could not to issue an exchange. Wow. What an incredible company and its customer service. I will never, ever buy another American product - nothing complicated with computerized parts anyway. They are NOT capable of producing such complex machines. They should stick with toasters or juicers - lol. Stupid Americans. LG and Samsung all the way baby!!! ** you Whirlpool.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

I have been using Whirlpool products for quite sometime. I had bought a 3 door refrigerator (Protton) about 2 years back. However I am noticing that of late, the vegetable drawer does not cool to the appropriate temperature. The vegetables as a result are spoilt. I am unable to understand what to do. I have checked with the other temperature settings and they are all in the normal mode.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

Whirlpool 29 cu ft French Door Refrigerator WRF989SDAM - We purchased this refrigerator September 2013 for our new home. We moved in November 18, 2013. The refrigerator made a very loud buzzing/humming noise from the beginning and did not make enough ice. The shop we bought it from came on 2 occasions to work on the ice maker and finally totally replaced it. Then the rack on the bottom of the left door fell out and contained glass jars of pickled vegetables. They broke and made a big mess and etched our travertine tile floor. We called the shop and they sent their son out who put the rack in with duct tape which of course did not work so we took it out and put it in the cabinet. We had to pay to have the tile polished to remove the etching.

On the weekend of November 15, 2014 the humming noise was so loud that we called the repair person again and they came out on November 17, 2014. At first they thought it was a fan motor but the freezer started making a loud noise and the owner came and said the compressor was going out. Our food was beginning to thaw and we asked if they could at least loan us a refrigerator to use. They brought us an old small fridge which was put in the garage. We took all our food out there. They came November 25 and picked up the fridge to be repaired. We had been told the warranty was out but after calling your company they were told Whirlpool would cover parts and labor.

Today is Thanksgiving Day and we can not cook a big meal due to the small fridge and freezer and we are buying bags of ice every day. We have family visiting and must go out for dinner. We have no idea of when our refrigerator will be returned to us. This has been an expensive and disappointing experience. I would never recommend your refrigerator to anyone due to this experience. I really feel we should have been offered a new refrigerator at a discount. We bought all our appliances from Don's Appliances in Okeechobee, FL 34974 and they are all Whirlpool. This refrigerator cost $2299 and our total order was $9,642.84. We would appreciate a response from your company.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

My wife and I made the unfortunate mistake of purchasing the Whirlpool "Gold Series", model #WRF989SDAM00 refrigerator two years ago...yes TWO YEARS AGO! We have experienced numerous issues with the appliance but our latest (no cold air in both the fridge and freezer) prompted a call to a service center. The serviceman that showed up knew immediately what the issue was, our compressor and evaporator had malfunctioned and according to him, "We have seen the same problem in a number of these models and that Whirlpool has since redesigned the casing to prevent this issue in new models". What about those of us who purchased the previous model?! Now shame on us I guess for not purchasing the extended warranty...I suppose I just took it for granted that in today's competitive manufacturing world Whirlpool would be committed to building a quality product!

Because of this I was offered two options from Whirlpool. #1 - pay for the parts yourself...over $800 or #2 - purchase their 1 year warranty program @ $350/year, this warranty will cover all parts and labor for an entire year. Based on my experiences though, I will need to purchase a 1 year warranty @ $350/year for the life of this "lemon", potentially costing me $5500 over a 10 year period. I ultimately took option 3...tossed the piece of junk and bought a new fridge from their competition. Don't be fooled by the attractive design and appearance, the Whirlpool "Gold Series" refrigerator is a money pit waiting to happen!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

Bottom freezer had frost and water. And ice maker began leaking and ruined the new wood floors that we just had put in. This is the forth whirlpool item I have, either had to have replace or fixed. Emailed and called several times. Customer service is terrible. All products bought within the last five years.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2014

My two year old Whirlpool refrigerator died. The compressor went bad. $859 to replace it. I only paid $999 for the fridge. This was crazy. Two years old. Heard it was not uncommon and the technician said most refrigerators warranty the compressor for up to 5 years but not Whirlpool. Had to go buy a new refrigerator.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2014

I got a 'BRAND NEW" Whirlpool from Habitat for Humanity. I registered it as a new product and was told it came from Lowe's. Habitat only warranted it for 30 days but when it went out in 60 days, I called on the warranty. They sent out a repairman who said it was "unfixable" and after 2 weeks waiting to hear from them, Whirlpool said they would not honor the warranty because the serviceman said it had been dropped. I am a disabled senior citizen, I guarantee you I couldn't lift it long enough to drop it. Habitat said they didn't drop it and so did Lowe's. Meanwhile, Whirlpool had the nerve to send me an extended warranty for the same refrigerator that they wouldn't honor the original warranty and they treated me like I was just trying to cheat them or something. The only thing I can do now is put it out in my driveway with a big sign on it to warn others NOT to buy Whirlpool products. Big deal.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2014

I purchased this refrigerator in Nov, 2012. In January, 2014 (14 months later and 2 months past the one-year warranty) the ice maker stopped producing ice. I emailed Whirlpool and got the standard answers (check the water line, is the refrigerator plugged in? etc.) with the option to call their service department for a repair at my cost. Several months later I got tired of not having ice and I called Whirlpool to ask them if they would at least pay for half the cost of a new ice maker ($65) that I would install myself. They refused because the refrigerator was out of warranty when the ice maker stopped working. Needless to say, I'm pretty dissatisfied that the ice maker stopped working after 14 months, but even more disappointed that they were unwilling to cover even half the cost of a replacement ice maker that I would install. After this experience, I will never purchase Whirlpool products again.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2014

Wish we had gone online to check all the complaints otherwise we would have NEVER bought a Whirlpool model #EB9FVHLVS. Only 3 years old. First repair call to fix a manufacturer's faulty grommet manifested by leaking in the bottom freezer portion. Just outside the warranty - did not purchase extended. Now I know why retailers recommend the extended. My sister overheard the repairman call in the product to his contact at Platinum Appliance Service Inc., and he made direct reference to the model number in the category of Whirlpool products known to have this specific design flaw, and that the product was never recalled but customers were directed to "purchase" a repair kit to fix the problem.

Apparently this became a very well documented and repeated incident within the 1-2 year purchase date of these products and models with the known factory installed defect were still sent out to retailers at a reduced cost with no reference, warning or attention to the factory defect. Now 4 months after the first call we have to call in for another repair issue because our light in both compartments and the motor shuts off for hours at a time. We lost about $80 in meat products, so now we're afraid to keep any costly items in the freezer because we can't afford to replace a $100 of thawed products every week on top of groceries already bought!!! It seems as though Whirlpool is gleefully generating business for appliance repair while making more than one hole in the consumers wallet.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

The drip hose had to be replaced 6 months after I purchased the refrigerator. At that time the warranty covered the part but the technician told me that Whirlpool was aware of the problem. About 5 months after the warranty expired, the same problem again - ice built up on bottom of freezer and water leaking out from the left side leaving a puddle on the floor. I called Whirlpool and they said "warranty is expired". I tried to tell them about the defective part but to no avail. Had to pay to have drip hose replaced again.

One year after that the main CPU board went and had to be replaced ($350.00). I sent the part back to Whirlpool, registered mail, hoping they would respond with a "yes, this was defective". Their response back to me was, “warranty is over.” For a main board to fail in a $1500.00 refrigerator in less than 3 years was uncalled for. Two days ago I noticed the puddle on the floor and had to call in a technician and ONCE again the drip hose had to be replaced ($160.0). He told me Whirlpool is well aware of the problem and there is a Service Pointer out on it and the code is S38211. Thanks for nothing Whirlpool. The refrigerator was a lemon and you did nothing about it. I wish I would have read these reviews first. No more Whirlpool products for me! PS. I was a dedicated fan of Whirlpool for 40 years!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2014

French Door model WRF989SEAE01 - Fridge runs very loud after 3 weeks. Ice build up inside of fridge - back left. After numerous repairs, dealer replaced unit with new. Three weeks, loud noise again. After 7 months, the ice maker has quit, the freezer is thawing items, the fridge part is not cold enough (all settings have been boosted). Now I'm concerned it is going to completely fail or burn our new house down. All new Whirlpool appliances in new home and this thing is proving to be extremely unreliable. Dealer is now out of loop (gave up) and told us to deal directly with Whirlpool. After 2 units and same issues, it has to be a design flaw.

Can anyone start to move on a class action lawsuit or do I wait until it blows up or burns down the house? We are of retirement age, no kids, and our appliances have had NO ABUSE. Another acquaintance has same fridge about 2 years old and it has completely quit.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

Bought this side by side, Whirlpool with ice maker and water dispenser in April 2013 at Home Depot. From the beginning, we have NEVER been able to get any chilled water out of the refrigerator. Sometimes the water is even warmer than the water out of the tap. Repeated attempts to fix and now Whirlpool tech Tom, told "repairman, sorry this is normal, no refrigerator can guarantee temp of water.” I've NEVER had a refrigerator with a water dispenser not chill the water much less, come out WARMER! HORRIBLE DESIGN & BAD COMPANY POLICY! Will NEVER buy another Whirlpool product!!! Now it's dripping water inside fridge! Model #: WSF26C2EXW01 Ser#: HR30821156

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

After 6 years, Our $2500 Whirlpool refrigerator stopped cooling and would not dispense ice. Since we had purchased a Whirlpool extended warranty, a Whirlpool authorized technician replaced the compressor and informed Whirlpool it also required a new door that included an ice dispenser. A door was not available so Whirlpool refused additional repair and refunded the $400 purchase price of the warranty. Meanwhile the refrigerator stopped cooling again and Whirlpool refused any additional obligation. The refrigerator was now non-functional and we had to spend $3500 to get a comparable refrigerator. The moral: 1) Whirlpool makes very expensive refrigerators that have about 30% of the life-span compared to earlier vintage refrigerators. 2) They know this and will promptly refuse to warrant their product if it is to their benefit. Shame on you Whirlpool for using your corporate leverage and shady business practices to manipulate your customers.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

My first time with Whirlpool (Always had GE) but at the suggestion of our builder, we went with Whirlpool and the "stainless steel" is horrendous. Nothing will clean it or make it look "STAINLESS." My refrigerator, dishwasher, double oven, tall vent all look terrible no matter what I use! I have never had this problem before. I'm embarrassed to have anyone go into my kitchen...

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

Kitchen Aid is Whirlpool - Buyer Beware. 1.5 year old dishwasher Model #KUDS35FXSS8 lost power, repairman came and confirmed it to be the panel control and the part is back ordered 4 weeks out. Expected to come day before Thanksgiving, repairman cannot schedule until part arrives thus no guarantee date of fix. Found part online from AppliancePartsPro.com. They shipped it one day later - fixed dishwasher. Whirlpool will not stand behind part because it did not come from them. I have all the proof that it is a Whirlpool Certified Part from a Appliance Parts Pro. Appears Whirlpool would rather have a broken machine in a home rather than help the customer fix it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

We bought a fridge in November 2013. Brand new, paid about $2400. After a few months, the fridge wasn't keeping our food cold, was leaking from the ice maker, and wasn't making ice. I called for a repair and about a week later they sent someone out. He assessed it, then came back a week after that to replace the part. Within a month or two later, the same problem. I called for service and was set up with a new company. The repairman called me a couple days later and instead of setting up a time to come in, he says its a common problem, he knows what's wrong, and he will order the part and call me next week to come replace it. A week passed, no word. I tried calling the man back, left several voicemails, and no answer. After another week, I call whirlpool again and tell them I heard nothing from the man and at first they tell me they can't do anything with it since it is an open ticket and I tell them that's not okay. They need to close it, he never even came to the house and assign it to someone else. After they tried multiple times to call the repair company themselves with no answer, they assigned it to a new repair company.

Again, it was assessed, a part was ordered and replaced another week later. So now it's been well into 9 months of having a worthless fridge. A few weeks after that part was replaced, the problem was back and I called again for repair. I was told if this problem is not solved this time I would be eligible for a replacement fridge. Obviously, it did not work so I called to have a replacement fridge at the end of August. I was told that someone would call me to set it up in 5-7 business days but maybe a little longer since Labor day was right around the corner. I waited, patiently. I called every few days for weeks until mid October and kept getting told it had not been assigned, they are really backed up, it will be just a little bit longer and they will send a message. Mid October, my sister in law called for me and she was told that it was denied because I had not had it serviced within the last 4 weeks. WHAT KIND OF ANSWER IS THAT??? That's like putting salt on a wound!! I have had spoiled food, constant clean up of leaks, and constant wasted calls to get told that it was denied because it wasn't serviced in the last 30 days while I was waiting for a response from Whirlpool???

So of course I grab the phone and go off. They agree to reopen the case because it was denied for a bad reason. At this point, as I type this, I have been on hold for 55 minutes to speak to yet another supervisor because it has been 2 and a half weeks since they reopened my case and I am told it has not been assigned and the best they can do is send another message.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

In August 2012 I purchased a side-by-side fridge with indoor water/ice dispenser. The appliance was purchased from Sears and delivered and installed by their employees or contractors. In November 2014 the refrigerator abruptly stopped making ice and began continuously cycling through the ice making process without creating ice cubes. Repairman told me the ice maker needs to be replaced for $300. He stated the control board went bad and the only recourse is an out of pocket replacement of the entire ice maker. A two year old fridge. The fridge has never been moved, abused, misused or dirty. It has only been used in a two adult home under normal household conditions. I would have thought an item that cost $1000 would last longer than two years!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

Purchased a Side By Side refrigerator just 16 months back and this is the Third time the ice maker has failed. Who makes JUNK like this?? Is there not One company that can make anything to last at least three years. I am disgusted with the junk we bought that has Whirlpool on it. I should Sue Home Depot and Whirlpool for Fraud.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

If you ever bought something from the store and the sales person said don't worry about, if you have any problems they will go ahead and fix it.... BEWARE... I purchased my fridge from BrandsMart USA in Feb of this year.... It was approx 2500.000 fridge we bought because it matched the rest of the appliances. Little did we know this has been a living nightmare. They have been out to the house 7 times to fix this thing. It's less than 8 months old.... and it's still broken. I have been without a fridge going on 2 1/2 weeks. The Senior Customer product review supervisor said he would get me a new fridge that was on the 27th. Every time I call him, his voice mail is full of.... Only to assume that is full of other satisfied customers. I HOPE YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD. What a waste of $2500.00.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2014

Whirlpool Refrigerator model #GI6FARXXY0 - Bought this refrigerator at Las Vegas Store #3305 Home Depot, 12/07/2012. July 2014, the ice maker stops working. I replace it with another Whirlpool ice maker and that one stops and leaks water from the dispenser all over my floor. I'm on my 3rd ice maker and it's not working! I have no warranty but still...a refrigerator should last longer than this at these prices. I'm trying to research problems with this refrigerator and it looks like now the refrigerator model has been discontinued! Can't find anything on it. I paid close to $1,800.00 and it lasted 1 year 1/2? It's turning into a "money pit."

My question is... after looking at all of the complaints concerning ice makers and water leaks on Whirlpool refrigerators... why hasn't Whirlpool addressed this problem with a recall?? Obviously, these ice makers are faulty even the ones you replace them with. The repairman told me there are "no warranties" and they would not take returns on them. Whirlpool "knows" there is a problem and doesn't address it. Consumers should be protected from businesses that know of problems and refuse to take care of them with customers. They are still selling faulty Whirlpool ice makers???

I paid extra to have a working ice maker and expected it to last more than a year and half for the price of this French Door, bottom freezer, refrigerator did. The doors look terrible as they do not clean nicely and leave streaks. From the looks of some of these complaints, this may only be a beginning of problems with this appliance. Totally disappointed in this product. I know I won't be looking at any more Whirlpool products. I'm disgusted with their faulty products and no accountability. If there's a recall, count me in!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2014

I purchased a refrigerator from this company Model #WRF989DAM. It worked for only 14 months. I had service people come 4 times to try and fix it, called customer service and was suppose to get a replacement, paid $300.00 for a different model, been 49 days and still have no refrigerator in my home. Had to go out and buy my own replacement. I have called and sent emails with no response of when I would be getting the replacement.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

ET8AHKXRQ00 - Contacted store where purchased brand new in box, also contacted Whirlpool Corp., was told no repair nor replacement could be offered. Paid $1,500.00, freezer still works but lower box stopped exactly 7yrs after manufacturing date and purchase. A lot of $ to pay for a refrigerator that costs more to repair than large purchase price. I am extremely upset with this situation and brand.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

Purchased Whirlpool side by side June 2010. Within a few months realized major problem with ice maker. Reservoir on door would leak and freeze inside the door. Service man out at least twice, advised to maintain service contract as would continue to have issues. It still leaks, freezes up and does not dispense properly. Now the inside liner of the refrigerator is cracking and neither the warranty company nor the WHIRLPOOL Manufacture Co. will stand by their product. It is my intent to warn as many people as possible, so they will not have the same bad experiences.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

2012 1st year water dispenser stuck, would not stop pouring water until I shut water valve off behind refrigerator. Replaced switch under warranty. 1st year bottom mount freezer stopped working, replaced condenser under warranty. Handle coming off freezer door not replaced. Today Nov 5th past warranty date Oct. 21st 2012. There is ice buildup in bottom of freezer due to a duckbill valve that I just found out about... This is junk and I already replaced the washing machine. Now I am going to replace this fridge if I have to have money to fix this out of pocket. Don't buy whirlpool and i think they make the same thing under other brands like Kitchenaid. My fridge was registered with whirlpool and no one contacted me from whirlpool about the problem they were aware of, to tell me that the valve is free and labor was free for first two years. Now only part is free. What a rip off. My appliances were part of the purchase price of a new home from a developer.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

Refrigerator stopped cooling... Paid $200 to have it diagnosed... Cost more than a new refrigerator to get fixed...$14,000. Refrigerator was 7 years old, energy star. How can it be energy efficient if it was made to last only seven years? How much energy is wasted making new ones to replace the broken ones, that cost too much to fix. Energy star. What a scam.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

One year old Refrigerator had a faulty ice maker hose which leaked for weeks undetected. Caused major water damage to kitchen before discovered. Had to replace walls and cabinets due to mold. Also ice maker has been defective since purchase. Builds up frost in ice chute which splashes on floor when getting ice. Whirlpool will not correct or replace door due to being over the year warranty period. Even though it started the first 30 days we owned it. Will never buy another Whirlpool product. Customer Service is non-existent, if you have problems.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

Whirlpool gold bottom freezer is 2 years old. This model has a design flaw. And due to this the drain is frozen in the bottom of the freezer. Water is leaking onto the floor. I called for service and whirlpool is charging me. To fix a problem that is their fault. This is unfair.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

As you have heard from 700 other people we bought a whirlpool refrigerator because GE sucks, brand new refrigerator died in 4 years with 4 service bill costing more than the refrigerator. So we did some research and whirlpool was being recommended by several stores and the reviews were better than most. Well we bought the Whirlpool refrigerator and it has been nothing but problems from the start. Everything that can go wrong has and of course our warranty ran out. And we are sitting here with no water, no ice, water tray falls out and breaks. Called whirlpool many times and their answer every time is, "we will send someone out for you," and then we get a 300 to 400 dollar bill. Whirlpool sucks as bad as GE. It's crazy these companies get away with this crap. They can build good refrigerators they have in the past. My grandparents have one for 25+ years, now you can't get 2 years out of them. Pure Junk! I don't know what a good brand is anymore, they all seem to suck. Good luck.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2014

We are experiencing our second compressor failure on our Amana French door refrigerator in less than three years. The first compressor died just after the unit was five years old...as said, this one was not even three years old. Although we have the extended warranty, it has been 13 days since the appliance broke, and we are still "waiting for parts." There have also been other repairs on this unit. Whirlpool has only answered one of my emails, and contacting the warranty people has done nothing to speed up the repair. I am very upset and will not buy or recommend a Whirlpool made appliance again.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2014

Bought a side by side whirlpool refrigerator last year. Door seal has come unglued so the door doesn't close unless press seal back in Every time we open the door. For the expense I would expect the door seal to last longer than a year.

Whirlpool Refrigerators Company Information