Whirlpool Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Whirlpool Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

Purchased a Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator model #ED5KVEXVB07 in July 2012 from Sears for about $1000. Unit quit cooling late Dec 2014. I did not purchase the extended warranty, so the Whirlpool 1 year warranty was all I had. The repair technician (local company, not from Whirlpool directly) told me that the compressor had seized up, and the repair would be at least $300. I thought I'd call Whirlpool just to see if they'd be willing to do anything for me. Long story short: No. I told the person on the phone: “I will never buy another Whirlpool appliance.” She said: “I'm very sorry about that.” After I hung up, I thought: If Whirlpool was really "sorry", they'd stand behind their products for a part that should not fail after only 2.5 years.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

Whirlpool WRF990SLAM00 french door refrigerator - We purchased this refrigerator in February of 2013. On Christmas Day of 2014, (not even two years later) the freezer and icemaker started malfunctioning. We spent $2000 on this fridge. Luckily we purchased the extended warranty from Lowe's. However, I'm so disappointed that a fridge that isn't even two years old already has an issue, plus we had to get rid of over $85 worth of spoiled food from the freezer. Credibility fail for a supposed quality product.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

After being a faithful Whirlpool consumer for years... I no longer have any faith. I purchased an entire kitchen suite. The side by side refrigerator Nov 2013. The first refrigerator was delivered with the side cabinet deeply dented in several areas. Another was delivered 4 weeks later. Silly me... I thought, "Okay, no big deal... what could go wrong?" I didn't take time off work again to receive the replacement. My son took delivery (never looked at it). I get home... the front of both doors looked like they had been kicked in all the way across! To add, the cabinet sides were textured (not smooth like what I ordered) and the door handles didn't match the other appliances. So, I called HDepot & called Whirlpool (only to be on the phone an hour each time due to high call volume. Imagine?). Then Whirlpool reps are talking to me like I am some sort of idiot... saying that the refrigerator was EXACTLY the same... not possible that the handles or sides were different!!! Because it was damaged (and I mean ridiculous! ) another 8 weeks for a replacement.

Frig #3 arrives and I take time off to receive it. Ah, the right refrigerator... but again ~ handles don't match. "Not POSSIBLE.. Ms. _ _ _ _... it is the exact refrigerator, those are the same handles." Hours and hours on the phone to HDepot and Whirlpool. Finally, HDepot rep has a WP rep at the store when I call, and bingo! Oh yes, there are two styles of the 'Exact' same model. The handles are ordered... 10 weeks later I finally have matching handles! But, wait... gets better. The fridge has been loud from the start, CONSTANTLY running but, not cooling some areas and freezing in others. Then when you open the freezer it is like a burst of winter wonderland is unleashed in your face. There are sheaths of ice building up on the top of the inside door. Hmm, I think what is going on?

The Whirlpool designated repair company comes out. Ah, well here is part of your problem. When the refrigerator was being put together they left a few thicknesses of blue packing tape between the door and the rubber seal in the freezer. The rep tried to fix it to no avail because the door was also warped. First they were going to replace the door. Waiting for another 10 weeks. Nobody calls, what's going on? Oh, never mind, or rather... that was 'never' happening. I have spoken to many reps with Whirlpool, I have been polite with all. In turn, from most I get curt hard ball back. The offers to resolve this from Whirlpool have been ridiculous. I am sorry for my loyalty to Whirlpool, as it has not been reciprocated. I have had two more deliveries - both the wrong unit! I never thought there were others out there. What a mess. They should recall.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2014

Bought a "Whirlpool" refrigerator and now it is dead after only 3 years - the gas is gone. The Dealer at "Budget Appliance" Surrey told us it was not a good fridge to begin with (but sold it to us for $900.00) and that "Whirlpool" had made a lot of fridges cheaply to begin with... So it was not their (Budget's) fault. When I contacted "Whirlpool" they were really too big to listen to my complaint and even though I had the receipt, they did not care to hear my complaint either. Never buy a Whirlpool fridge.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2014

I bought Whirlpool fridge in 2013 and as of today I am on the fifth ice maker. Unfortunately I did not get the extended warranty. It was purchased At Lowe's Model number GZ25FSRXYY2. Do not buy this fridge. I called Whirlpool to complain and got "sorry we can't help." Can you say LEMON?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2014

It's a fraud product. My sister brought brand new product whirlpool 215L single door product. Once it was unpacked, she faced lot of issues. 1st the product looks dirty when it was unpacked. 2nd It has dent on the door and side. 3rd It was not standing properly. 4th- above all this, their service is horrible, 1st service guy try to sell Stabilizer even though on the product it was written as stabilizer free, then the stand, then cover for it this company is cheating a lot. 5th we ask them to take back the product... they did all funny things. They tried to tell that it's our mistake not their's. And then they made to us wait for 6 weeks to take back the product.

6th When she received the replacement, we found that it's same product with door changed... sides still have same dents and scratches. 7th it was nightmare to get our money back from them. They talked very rudely even we call their Faridabad office. They just kept on asking many question like CID. After 8 months we received our money. After such an experience we decided never to buy Whirlpool product. They are fraud company. Never ever BUY WHIRLPOOL PRODUCTS.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2014

The drawer guides on the large clear drawer at the top of the whirlpool refrigerator are very flimsy causing the drawer to drop when pulled out to the stop. When I called about this I was told it was "cosmetic" and not covered under warranty. I purchased the extended warranty which will replace the "flimsy" parts with the same flimsy parts. On 6/24/2024 Denisia sent me new side rails, exactly the type I have. I replaced them but the right side one broke. I regret ever owning one and will not recommend a whirlpool product to anyone. It is very obvious to anyone, after using this product, that that particular part is not safe and is definitely more than a cosmetic problem. I have already dumped the contents on the floor once and have just managed to catch it more times than I care to count. I spoke with Danielle on 5/14/2014. She sent the small plastic "drawer" that goes on the bottom.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

In November 2014, I purchased a Whirlpool 22 cu ft side by side refrigerator from my local appliance store. During that short time, there have been 4 instances where the ice clumps together and gets stuck, causing a large amount of ice to dump inside the freezer door. When the door is opened, the ice falls out onto the floor. I usually spend 10 minutes picking up ice and wiping up my kitchen floor. I have had the local store repairman over. He told me that was normal. Two things are seriously wrong with that statement. When I spend 1600.00 for a brand new appliance, I should be able to depend on the fact that it will function in at least a somewhat acceptable manner. Additionally, that statement by the repairman convinced me that he was not really interested in fixing the problem. I really don't think the "normal" operation of a new appliance is for it to make frequent, large messes for the owner to clean up. This appliance is junk and you would be foolish to purchase it. Spend a bit more money and buy a Samsung or LG. Save yourself the frustration and sense that you have been cheated and deceived by Whirlpool. I will never buy this brand again.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

Whirlpool side by side. When the compressor cycles, there is a loud knocking noise. Called Whirlpool when under warranty with no results. They could not tell me the cause of the knocking. Sort of "live with it" attitude. The funny part is when we have someone visiting and the knocking starts, they are puzzled as to why we are not answering the door. Sounds like someone knocking on the front door. We have been whirlpool customers for 30 years. Probably will not be so in the future. Too bad that a great company has go the way of the Nash and Studebaker automobile.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

Has anyone ever heard of an "Example Warranty"? I did tonight during an hour and 14 minute phone call to Whirlpool about my dead refrigerator, which is clearly under warranty. The "Example Warranty" wasn't listed as a misrepresentation, the warranty excluded no model and was prominently posted on whirlpool.com. After talking to the 4th of 6 people, a lady eventually found the warranty I refer to (again, it is on their own website) and she used those very words to deny responsibility: "Oh, that's an "Example Warranty." I asked if I could have paid with "Example Money." More to follow.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

Recently bought a 19-cubic ft French Door Whirlpool refrigerator. Seems to work fine at this point, but the compressor/cooling system has a fairly loud swishing noise it makes off and on during the cooling cycle. According to the owners manual, this is normal. If I had known this, I would not have bought this brand. Believe me, it is loud and you can hear it from all parts of my apartment. Also, once you examine the fridge up close, it really is cheaply made. Low-grade plastics for shelves and compartments. And this was not an inexpensive product to buy. We are talking out the door paying $2,000. Sad it is American made. My parents bought a Samsung last year and it is of much higher quality than the Whirlpool I have. But so far, it is keeping the food cold. Just wish it was quiet.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2014

I purchased a fridge from them a little over a year ago. First and LAST EVER. The freezer door started to sag and when I called them I was told my warranty expired a month ago. Had a Whirlpool service person look at it and told me that the cost is $110 plus $45. I said that is fine. They scheduled another appointment but I received a call 12 minutes before the time expired (as you know they say in the afternoon and no exact time and they said between 2 and 4:30) and the guy asked me what is wrong with the fridge. I told him that someone took a look at it a week prior but I had to go through the whole thing. Then he said that they don't have the part and I have to wait for a week. This was a Saturday before Xmas and waited all afternoon to be told that was very upsetting. Any how I called customer service and spoke with a Michelle. She said she is going to try and find out if she can waive the additional service fee, arrange the time and will comp the parts (around $15). After 45 minutes on the phone I had to jump off for a business call so Michelle said she will email me and I gave her my email.

Few hours passed and no email. When I called back the idiot that answered the phone kept saying that the warranty is out and I need to call another number so I asked for a supervisor. I was on hold for 11 minutes then I was hung up on. I called again and asked for a supervisor. Spoke with Benjamin (Opt# **), he said that Michelle notes did not state anything about help in possibly waiving anything and that I refused the parts. I was furious. What a LIE. Long story short he said they can't waive anything and I should call the scheduling number for any help. I asked to speak to Michelle and guess what the answer was... SHE IS BUSY. What the hell. The service is well below zero as well as the quality of the product. I am going to send a letter to the office of President (Jeff Fettig) Whirlpool Corp. 2000 North M-63, Benton Harbor, Michigan 49022-2692. It is so sad when corporation are so big that little people who buy their products don't mean much to them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2014

Compressor overheats, then buzzing sound and click. The capacitor and starter relay were replaced but condition still exists. Necessary to unplug the fridge and allow to cool for up to 5 hrs. before the compressor will cool again. A good compressor would have lasted for many, many years so it is obvious that this was a defective unit. I believe the compressor should be replaced by Whirlpool at no cost to me. Refrigerator Serial # K30410152, purchased at the same time with 3 other kitchen appliances from Appliance Direct at 422 N Alafaya Trail 32828 on 03/13/13.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2014

I have a one year old Whirlpool refrigerator which was fine for 6 months. Since then it has been a nightmare. If Lowe’s had not intervened on my behalf, I never would have gotten service. Have had at least 6 service calls, 2 new ice makers and various other parts. It should be bright yellow.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2014

I have been trying for a month to get my fridge repaired. 2 techs later and still nothing. The 1st tech never turned in his report and I was informed by your customer service that it was my problem and I had to try to track him down and get it turned in. Tech #2 just left my house. He walked in, stuck his arm inside the freezer and said feels cold to me. I pointed out the melted popsicles and that the ice maker was not making ice because the freezer is not freezing. He then said he doesn't have the tools to do the repair, if it can be fixed, and to call him back after the Holidays.

I have been w/o a fridge since Thanksgiving... a month. And no one has a solution. I was sold an inferior product that has a manufacturing flaw but I have to suffer for it. $800 out of my pocket and all I get from Whirlpool is "Oh I'm sorry to hear that. We can send out another tech." The fridge is less than 6 months old and still under warranty. It is a defective product that Whirlpool refuses to stand behind. I guess they are trying to wait out the warranty period so they are off the hook and we are stuck buying a new one or paying the tech for the repair. DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL PRODUCTS! Go Samsung, my previous model.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2014

My story begins in August of this year when my wife and I built a new home. The builder provided Whirlpool appliances in the kitchen. The fridge has continually tripped the breaker and after numerous visits from the builder's electrician, we finally also had the Whirlpool service technician check out the fridge too. After the control board was replaced, and the interior light housing was replaced, it turns out the wiring harness in the fridge is faulty and is not repairable. According to your customer service team, the fridge will need to be exchanged. I have made numerous calls to the suggested numbers (866-698-2538 & 800-253-1301) to find out the status of the exchange. Each time, I have been told that my file is with the review team, and that if I have not heard from them in the next three or four days, that I should call back again.

I have not been able to contact the review team directly myself, as your customer service team is either unable to or is not allowed to share those contact details. So I am relegated to wait and then call back again. I have lost track of the number of calls I have made, and the hours spent on hold because of the "high volume of calls" or re-telling the whole story. The fridge was determined to not be repairable on November 19th. I am not sure if this is the treatment you intend for your customers, or if this is an anomaly.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2014

We have owned our side-by-side model # ED5HVEXVB02 for just over six years now. The first thing that went bad was the ice machine (just days out of warranty). Over the next 4 years we've had to replace 2 of the drawers; they break really easily. Here we are just 6 years out and we are on our 3rd icemaker. This refrigerator is a lemon. I sincerely believe they designed an inferior product so that they could get you hooked. We probably would have been better off after the first issue if we had sold this lemon instead of spending all of this money and future money that it will take to keep this product going.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2014

Bought a Whirlpool refrigerator December 2011, it is now 3 yrs. old, keeps shutting itself off. There is nothing under the 'troubleshooting' area of the instructions for this. I called Whirlpool, they said I have to pay a tech to come here and troubleshoot. The warranty is 1 years, so after paying over 1k for an appliance, that gets you 1 year! I try to support American made, but no more Whirlpools here! I have all Whirlpool appliances, but I'm guessing they won't last either. Very disappointed in the lack of customer service.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

Very similar experience with warranty issues as everyone else. I purchased a brand new $2k side by side stainless steel model in Dec of 2013. It began not cooling in August of 2014 and they have since had 8 repairs and still will not exchange the fridge/replace the fridge. We finally had to buy another fridge and put it in our garage in order to have food in our home (of 5 kids and 2 adults). Ridiculous customer service every phone call. Possibly the least educated, rudest individuals always. Never buy from Whirlpool - worst reputation ever.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

One month ago the freezer quit working. Lowes sent out a repairman who told us it would cost over $1000 to fix. This fridge is only 18 months old. I called Lowes and the Whirlpool and they offered to supply the parts. Repairman came out yesterday and said the refrigerator can't be fixed. Am now waiting for Whirlpool to call us back and tell us what recourse we have. Very disappointed. Fridge is now sitting unplugged in my kitchen. Will never buy another Whirlpool product again. If there are so many issues, there should have been a recall on these items!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

We purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator to match the other appliances in our kitchen. The unit was purchased in June of 2012. Two and a half years later, it quit making ice and would not maintain proper cooling temps. Not to mention the noise coming from the compressor. So we had a certified tech come out and he said that it was the sealed refrigeration system. He stated that he had seen this issue a lot with whirlpool refrigerators. He said that what they don’t tell you is that it is covered for 3 years but good luck with getting any satisfaction. The cost to fix it you ask? $700.00. Might as well just buy a new one. Took a shot in the dark and called Whirlpool customer service. Gave the girl my information and model number. I got the “Sorry, but your model number is not covered by the sealed refrigeration warranty.”

Then I got the ole, “Is there anything else today?” Well, she got the wrong man on the phone this day. I asked her to give me a model number that is covered by the warranty and I will purchase that one. You could have heard a pin drop. I don’t guess she’s been asked that before. She starts to ramble and said, “Well, there are just so many, I could not possibly tell you. Some are and some aren’t.” (Remember that statement) You mean she can tell me that mine was not covered, but could not tell me which models were covered. Huh??? Long story short. I argued with her for an hour on the phone and she finally breaks down and admits that Whirlpool does not warranty the sealed systems on their refrigerators any longer because they are considered value brands.

What are value brands you ask? I asked the same thing. I was informed that a value brand is of lower cost to draw people to buy the product. Remember in the movie Back to the Future when Doc Brown said he sold a nuclear weapon to the Libyans at a good price but it was just filled with pinball machine parts? Well, there you go. I get the supervisor on the phone and she has the I’m going to be strict with this customer voice. She basically blames me in the fact that I failed to purchase the extended warranty. You’re right, my fault. How dare I have the nerve to think that a one thousand dollar value Whirlpool refrigerator would last no further than two and a half years? My bad on that one lady. The end result; I was told that I could purchase a new Whirlpool refrigerator and be sure to get the extended warranty. Yeah, why don’t go practice falling down Whirlpool, I’ll be there in a minute. (That was sarcasm by the way).

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

Bought a side-by-side with extended warranty model ED5VHEXVB01. I had a problem with the ice door. They came out, said they saw a bug, left no comments made, received no word from company. Finally, I called them to be informed on the bug problem. They canceled my warranty with no refund given. Now this will be the 3rd time I have to buy. The starter/overload relay fridge is only 4 years old (out of my pocket). I was told by a parts company this problem the company knows about and will not resolve. My advice is RUN, DON'T WALK, away from ALL Whirlpool appliances.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

My husband and I have been loyal Whirlpool consumers for over thirty years. When it came time to purchase a new refrigerator, we purchased the GC3SHAXVY00 model. It was quite expensive but we decided to splurge. This was the worst mistake. Let me also state that we have had the refrigerator now for maybe 5 years. Within the first 6 months, the door that is the central operating system for the appliance went out. The appliance was still under warranty at that time, so Whirlpool ordered a new door. The technician replaced the door and left. However, within 15 minutes of the new door being replaced, the entire refrigerator began to shut down, not just the freezer. Fortunately, we had the tech's cell and we called him and he came back and put the old door on until he could order another new door. That made three doors in the first 6 months of us owning the appliance.

Then, the ice maker started freezing up. We were told just to defrost the ice maker once a month, that this was a problem the company was experiencing with this 500-dollar refrigerator. Then, the water line started freezing so we would have to leave the freezer door open for about half an hour every week to get the line to thaw so that we could get the water to come out of the dispenser. Now, the ice maker has quit completely. Are we going to call a whirlpool tech? NO, what for?This refrigerator has been a true lemon from day one. I have three more Whirlpool appliances that have broken down within 6 weeks of purchasing them. It was time to replace our appliances so we thought we would support our local economy by purchasing Whirlpool. To say the least, that will never happen again. I will be replacing all my appliances with LG from this day forward.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

Why am I not surprised by this stupid American company? I purchased a brand new fridge in June this year and for the last 5 months I have had about 20 different technician visits by five different technicians who changed almost everything you could possibly imagine - evaporator, control, sensor, compressor, display, etc., etc. And the company still refused to take any responsibilities. They kept telling me that more inspection was needed EVEN AFTER all the technicians said there was NOTHING THEY COULD DO.

After having to yell at them for about an hour, they finally realized they had to issue me a new fridge. What a piece of crap they are. Even then when I called back about the exchange, they pretended they could not find my file. WTF??? They really tried EVERYTHING they could not to issue an exchange. Wow. What an incredible company and its customer service. I will never, ever buy another American product - nothing complicated with computerized parts anyway. They are NOT capable of producing such complex machines. They should stick with toasters or juicers - lol. Stupid Americans. LG and Samsung all the way baby!!! ** you Whirlpool.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

I have been using Whirlpool products for quite sometime. I had bought a 3 door refrigerator (Protton) about 2 years back. However I am noticing that of late, the vegetable drawer does not cool to the appropriate temperature. The vegetables as a result are spoilt. I am unable to understand what to do. I have checked with the other temperature settings and they are all in the normal mode.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

Whirlpool 29 cu ft French Door Refrigerator WRF989SDAM - We purchased this refrigerator September 2013 for our new home. We moved in November 18, 2013. The refrigerator made a very loud buzzing/humming noise from the beginning and did not make enough ice. The shop we bought it from came on 2 occasions to work on the ice maker and finally totally replaced it. Then the rack on the bottom of the left door fell out and contained glass jars of pickled vegetables. They broke and made a big mess and etched our travertine tile floor. We called the shop and they sent their son out who put the rack in with duct tape which of course did not work so we took it out and put it in the cabinet. We had to pay to have the tile polished to remove the etching.

On the weekend of November 15, 2014 the humming noise was so loud that we called the repair person again and they came out on November 17, 2014. At first they thought it was a fan motor but the freezer started making a loud noise and the owner came and said the compressor was going out. Our food was beginning to thaw and we asked if they could at least loan us a refrigerator to use. They brought us an old small fridge which was put in the garage. We took all our food out there. They came November 25 and picked up the fridge to be repaired. We had been told the warranty was out but after calling your company they were told Whirlpool would cover parts and labor.

Today is Thanksgiving Day and we can not cook a big meal due to the small fridge and freezer and we are buying bags of ice every day. We have family visiting and must go out for dinner. We have no idea of when our refrigerator will be returned to us. This has been an expensive and disappointing experience. I would never recommend your refrigerator to anyone due to this experience. I really feel we should have been offered a new refrigerator at a discount. We bought all our appliances from Don's Appliances in Okeechobee, FL 34974 and they are all Whirlpool. This refrigerator cost $2299 and our total order was $9,642.84. We would appreciate a response from your company.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

My wife and I made the unfortunate mistake of purchasing the Whirlpool "Gold Series", model #WRF989SDAM00 refrigerator two years ago...yes TWO YEARS AGO! We have experienced numerous issues with the appliance but our latest (no cold air in both the fridge and freezer) prompted a call to a service center. The serviceman that showed up knew immediately what the issue was, our compressor and evaporator had malfunctioned and according to him, "We have seen the same problem in a number of these models and that Whirlpool has since redesigned the casing to prevent this issue in new models". What about those of us who purchased the previous model?! Now shame on us I guess for not purchasing the extended warranty...I suppose I just took it for granted that in today's competitive manufacturing world Whirlpool would be committed to building a quality product!

Because of this I was offered two options from Whirlpool. #1 - pay for the parts yourself...over $800 or #2 - purchase their 1 year warranty program @ $350/year, this warranty will cover all parts and labor for an entire year. Based on my experiences though, I will need to purchase a 1 year warranty @ $350/year for the life of this "lemon", potentially costing me $5500 over a 10 year period. I ultimately took option 3...tossed the piece of junk and bought a new fridge from their competition. Don't be fooled by the attractive design and appearance, the Whirlpool "Gold Series" refrigerator is a money pit waiting to happen!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

Bottom freezer had frost and water. And ice maker began leaking and ruined the new wood floors that we just had put in. This is the forth whirlpool item I have, either had to have replace or fixed. Emailed and called several times. Customer service is terrible. All products bought within the last five years.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2014

My two year old Whirlpool refrigerator died. The compressor went bad. $859 to replace it. I only paid $999 for the fridge. This was crazy. Two years old. Heard it was not uncommon and the technician said most refrigerators warranty the compressor for up to 5 years but not Whirlpool. Had to go buy a new refrigerator.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2014

I got a 'BRAND NEW" Whirlpool from Habitat for Humanity. I registered it as a new product and was told it came from Lowe's. Habitat only warranted it for 30 days but when it went out in 60 days, I called on the warranty. They sent out a repairman who said it was "unfixable" and after 2 weeks waiting to hear from them, Whirlpool said they would not honor the warranty because the serviceman said it had been dropped. I am a disabled senior citizen, I guarantee you I couldn't lift it long enough to drop it. Habitat said they didn't drop it and so did Lowe's. Meanwhile, Whirlpool had the nerve to send me an extended warranty for the same refrigerator that they wouldn't honor the original warranty and they treated me like I was just trying to cheat them or something. The only thing I can do now is put it out in my driveway with a big sign on it to warn others NOT to buy Whirlpool products. Big deal.

Whirlpool Refrigerators Company Information