Whirlpool Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Whirlpool Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: March 3, 2015

Our $2000+ Whirlpool Gold just had the control board fail. After calling Whirlpool, local services and all national parts suppliers we were told each time the part is on back order until June. If this is Whirlpool's way of generating new fridge sales, it does not work. No Whirlpool, Kenmore, Frigidaire or KitchenAid, all made by the same company will ever enter my home. The control board runs the fridge. Which executive thinks a family can live without a fridge for 4 months? What terrible service. GE always has parts and service. Go with GE everyone.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

Less than 2 years old; a loud chirp began and the water dispenser stopped working, along with the ice. Repairman came out--ordered a part. One week later another repairman; another part. One week later another repairman--couldn't fix the problem. By now no cooling in the refrigerator at all. Tech line has to review the findings. Have heard nothing after nearly 3 weeks without a fridge, ruined food, and no ice other than my back yard!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

No help from the retailer, Jessup's of Venice, FL. Sales person, Frank ** only gives "lip service!" Never buy from this retailer or buy a whirlpool product!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I purchased a Whirlpool Gold refrigerator in May 2012 and about 8 months ago, ice started to form in the freezer. The ice melts and water drains out, so when you come in the kitchen all of the sudden you step in a puddle of water. I called CS and they told me the best they could do was authorize part(s) and the labor and service call would be my responsibility. Everyone knows service cost way more than parts.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

We called to have refrigerator repaired. We had to wait for 6 weeks get repair people to come. They looked, made guess, left, no repair. Said someone else would have to do it. No date/time frame. Houlka appliance, is that the only repair place in ms? No happy/hate lowes appliances, not impressed with whirlpool warranty system. And yes I have all the original receipts for the warranty.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

My husband and I purchased a Whirlpool Refrigerator, model number GI6SARXXF04, serial number K20311478 on February 3, 2012. It was delivered soon after. In April of 2012 our ice maker quit working. We called The Appliance Doctor for service. They reset the control, and left saying that they thought it was fixed. The ice maker as a result was not fixed. They came out again, and stated that the ice maker needed to be replaced altogether. So they ordered the part and we waited for two weeks for it to arrive and be installed. By this time it was April 23, 2012.

Then in June of 2013 we began having water pool in the bottom of the refrigerator and freeze, and water began to leak onto our hardwood floors causing them to buckle. We cleaned it up for a while thinking perhaps something had spilled, and busted up the ice on our own. The beginning of 2014 we called for service from Lanny Adams Appliance. The technician worked on it and stated that something was plugged up in the water line and he thought it was fixed, we paid for this service on our own. On August 14, 2014 we had another technician come out because it was not fixed. The technician came out and stated that it would cost another $219.95. He further stated that he thought that there was a recall of some kind, that I should look into it. I did look into it and printed out the Technical Service Pointer that was produced in November of 2013.

When I called Whirlpool at that point, someone was sent to fix it. Of course I had already paid to have it repaired in February of 2014, Whirlpool stated that it was not their responsibility, which again it was not fixed until August of 2014. As a further note, my floors were never fixed because I have hardwood floors throughout my house and simply cannot fix the area in front of the refrigerator. My floor had just been refinished, and after speaking with the floor company that had just refinished my floors a few months earlier, they stated all of the floors would have to be redone or it would not match. Figuring Whirlpool is definitely not going to pay for that, I have just dealt with it, since it cost me over $3000.00 to have the floors refinished.

Now, it is February of 2015 and the whole refrigerator is not cooling, and the freezer is not freezing. Again, I woke up to water in the floor on my hardwood floors, and have had to move all of my food to my ten year old Frigidaire refrigerator that is in my basement and has NEVER had a service call. After speaking with service company, they state it will cost $1200.00 to fix the refrigerator....REALLY? So, now I get to go spend a lot more money for a new appliance. You can bet it WILL NOT be a Whirlpool!

I contacted Whirlpool again, and I spoke with Robin in your Customer Service Department after speaking with one of your Customer Service Representatives that stated I was basically on my own with the repairs. Robin stated that there was nothing Whirlpool would do, but she would agree to pay for parts and I will be left with the repair labor. Although your company may think that this is good customer service, I have to disagree given the fact that I have had nothing but consistent problems with the refrigerator since I bought it. At this point, I would like to ask you if in your opinion this is a good appliance? I asked Robin and she stated that I needed to buy an extended warranty. Don't you realize it isn't about the warranty? It is about the fact that I have had the appliance for 3 years and have had consistent problems. I believe the refrigerator is a lemon, and I would like it replaced.

I have always trusted the Whirlpool name, but at this point, I do not see myself buying another Whirlpool appliance.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2015

My ref. stopped working. I troubleshoot it and did not work. I filled out a service request back on February 2nd, 2015. I got an email back from a subcontractor called Active Appliance INC. with a date service on February 6th, 2015, 4 days after my service request, and that is the only available date. The technician arrived while I am not at the house, however I talked to him before he started the work on my refrigerator and asked him kindly if he can call me after founding the issue, and he assured me that he will. No call and when I arrived home I found that he told the attendant that the refrigerator is not working and he has to report to the office. REALLY! We know that!

Anyway I called Active Appliance and the customer services rep. told me that she could not answer with the diagnose until she speak with the technician and that will be Monday February 9th, I asked if I could speak with a manager, and her reply was "Our managers do not talk to the customers." I had to hang up and call Whirlpool customer services and spoke with a nice gentleman, that he was not happy with Active Appliance INC. services. He placed me on hold and called them and within 3 minute he got back with the news, what was wrong with the refrigerator, electric computer panel burned out and then the fan continue to work with no stop, so it burned as well. He assured me that the services will be done no later than Tuesday February, 10th.

While on the phone I got a call from active appliance and this time she wanted to know if I am warranted. I told her that I have Whirlpool on the other line and they assured me that I am. She said that it does not matter and she has to get something in writing. I placed her on hold and talked with Whirlpool and he assured me that he will contact them and email me a confirmation, which he did. By Tuesday February 10th, no call no follow up. I called Active appliance and they stated that it would take up to 14 working days for a part to arrive.

I called Whirlpool and spoke with a customer services manager, and she got on the phone and told me that they are going to do their best and get back with me. Today February 16th I got a call to cancel a work service order due to technician calling sick and reschedule for February 25th Wednesday, I told her that they did not call to schedule the service first place, her answer was "Never mind, I am calling to cancel anyway. Would you like to take this appointment or NOT?" I asked her kindly to reevaluate their service procedures and the way they handle their customer, and I told her that I bought my refrigerator from Whirlpool and they are the company in charge of their product and I do not wish to continue this dialog with Active Appliance!

I called Whirlpool and the customer service gentleman was helping me and we got disconnected, however when I called back they were closed for the day, however the customer service has my phone number but I got no phone call!!!! I think this is the worst POOR service I got within the last 20 years!!!!! I hope someone at Whirlpool care about their services and can contact me to handle the issue.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2015

I have had many parts replaced on this refrigerator regarding ice maker. But nonetheless yesterday opened freezer and noticed a huge crack about 12 inches on the inside right of the freezer, not near a shelf or anything. I call today of course warranty is up after my 2 yr and Whirlpool says sorry ma'am there is nothing we can do. Seriously I purchased 2 years and 2 months ago @ $1560 and I’m told I would have to purchase a new one. I will never purchase another Whirlpool anything for we have had nothing but problems with them not standing behind their product. Model #GSS30C6EYY03. This is crazy to me. I have never heard of a refrigerator just cracking through.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2015

I am extremely dissatisfied with my Whirlpool refrigerator. After less than two years, the entire cooling system has gone out basically rendering it a piece of trash. Unfortunately, Whirlpool is only going to absorb the cost of parts, so I still have to shell out $4500 to have a refrigerator repaired that is nearly new. This is not acceptable. I will never purchase a Whirlpool appliance again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2015

My glass stove top broke for the second time. The first time Whirlpool accused me of dropping something on it and chipping it. I didn't but paid the $400 glass replacement. Today while cooking, I put cold from the fridge not freezer, sausage into a warming fry pan. I heard the same "pop" I heard 2 years previously...sure enough the glass stove top broke. After a phone call to whirlpool, and hearing they were sorry but there's nothing they can do, I will write as many letters I can so others don't buy whirlpool.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2015

We bought the Whirlpool Gold Appliances package for our new home, and the appliances are not even 4 years old and the issues have started to emerge. The customer service people are not considerate and it is amazing that these expensive appliances come with only one year of warranty. After the year's warranty, the service call visits and the repair expenses and the labor and material costs are ridiculously expensive. These cheap appliances are not worth the money.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2015

Whirlpool Refrigerator Model WRX9885IBM01 French Doors - We purchased this $2,000+ dollar refrigerator in December of 2014 and within two weeks of plugging it in, we noticed the freezer drawer was crooked and ice crystals in the freezer compartment. We contacted Whirlpool re the matter and they dispatched a local serviceman. He informed us that the inner lining of the refrigerator was crooked and he contacted Whirlpool. He sent pictures of the crooked drawers and was advised by Whirlpool to adjust the outside door, but nothing could be done for the inside crookedness and that he was to take silicone and seal the refrigerator to prevent air coming in to create the ice... Really? We told him that was merely a Band-Aid to the problems and we wanted a replacement. According to Whirlpool, they can only service our month old refrigerator and cannot replace it.

Actually, they cannot even service the defective product they sell, they can only caulk the problem until it comes again. I am not going to stop until everybody in the country buying a refrigerator thinks first about the warranty Whirlpool offers. After reading defective parts, etc., I am amazed they are still in business! We are contacting Lowe's to come pick it up! Let them deal with the garbage they are selling!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2015

In July 2012 I purchased refrig, ed2khaxvb (model #). By Oct. 2014, after numerous service calls to unplug ice blocking chute, an ENTIRE door was factory ordered and DELIVERED. Feb 2015, A&E service installed new door. Later that day, I opened the freezer door which had insufficient suction and ice is again sliding down the chute to the floor. The stress this has caused me (87 yrs old). Case #, phone and ref..nos. could fill a book. PLEEEZE HELP. What can I do???? Ty.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2015

Today our fruit drawer broke... again. This is actually a new one we purchased about 8 months ago to replace our other one that kept breaking. The first time the new one broke (about 5 months after we got it) my husband tried to fix it because he didn't want to purchase another one so soon. This morning my son went to get a grapefruit and the entire front of the drawer came off. We aren't being rough with it or anything, it's just very poorly made. Needless to say, I have a VERY grumpy husband this morning.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2015

Purchased a brand new Refrigerator Bottom Freezer ($2000) and ice maker has never worked. Countless calls to Whirlpool (the appliance store cannot take it back without an RMA), and hours on the phone. No resolution. Awful customer support, Days off work waiting for the Whirlpool Service Tech to show and they do not. Been a month. Going to start legal action next week. Mikes TV and Appliances in PA is a terrible outfit as well. Never have seen such bad customer service out of a once proud company. Will never buy anything with that name on it.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2015

Plate in front of the door that is at the back of the water dispenser bowed out. Company will not fix even if the refrigerator is not a year old yet. Said it only covers things like this for thirty days. Do not buy a refrigerator that Whirlpool will not stand behind.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

I saved my money a long time to purchase a new refrigerator (Whirlpool Refrigerator Model ED2VHEXV001). I have very low income so this was not an easy task. April 2009, purchased from Lowe's. I've read similar complaints and also believe there is a defect in the plastic material as there are cracks everywhere on the interior. Shelves have cracked and the whole thing is of poor quality. Seems like Whirlpool should step up and do the right thing. This needs to be replaced.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2015

Purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator the last week of January 2014 with promised delivery date of February 6, 2015. Received call Feb. 2 that the earliest they could deliver would be February 13th. Received call Feb. 3 that the earliest they could deliver would be February 19, almost 2 months after purchase of refrigerator. Sears, where we purchased the refrigerator, told me that they have been dealing with this for 10 years with Whirlpool. Why would Sears sell products to their customers with this kind of delivery problem? They only communicate with Whirlpool via email, so there is no resolution with a person to get issue taken care of. We will never buy a Whirlpool product again & will never buy anything from Sears again.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

Bought side by side in 2010 and after the first 3 mth the ice maker jammed up. Found out the dispenser door was not working right so it was change. But lo and behold the dame thing jammed up again within 3 weeks and the door is working. I will never buy WHIRLPOOL AGAIN. I hope they go out of Business. They are selling junk and they do not care. Made in American. Pack your bags Whirlpool. You are no longer needed.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

Whirlpool side by side with in door ice maker W10281961D - I purchased the refrigerator 10-2013. Within 9 months all of the food in the refrigerator side was freezing. Unfortunately, I did not purchase the extended warranty so I would turn up the temp control every 24 hours as suggested in the manual. The water maker then stopped working. I am disabled and money is tight, but I was wasting so much by throwing frozen produce and eggs away and was worried about thawing meat on the counter since it was not possible to in the refrigerator.

I finally broke down, called Sears, purchased the warranty at that time, which was $259.00 and when the repairman came out we found out the damper was broken, thus causing the food in the refrigerator to freeze and the motherboard had went out, thus causing the temp controls not to work. The extended warranty had a $500 max, so we had to pay an additional $120.00 out of pocket. It is working fine now, but in my opinion, it should not have stopped working as quickly as it did since it was an expensive purchase to start out with.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

Perhaps I am fortunate, but when I read complaints regarding products on the Consumer Affairs site, it makes me wonder because I never have any problems whatsoever with anything I buy. The only time was with a cheap $20 dvd player which lasted just a year. I was given a 10 year old whirlpool fridge 7 years ago. It still works great. Very cold freezer and great features such as frost free freezer. Also Whirlpool Estate budget line dishwasher, washer and dryer ten years ago. No problems!

Why do people spend thousands on refrigerators, washers, dryers, and dishwashers? Just buy the basics. It is not important to buy french door refrigerators, dishwashers with stainless-steel interiors, washers/dryers on pedestals and the like. You are only impressing shallow people. All in all, I will always purchase no-frills Whirlpool appliances. They are the best! And you can be like me and have no credit card bills and plenty of money in the bank with the result of low stress.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

Bought a Whirlpool French Door, Bottom freezer mount appliance from Lowe's in Jan 2014. Model WRF990SLAM00. Jan 2015 the freezer part stopped working. Whirlpool approved repairman came and knew exactly the problem because he was aware of this being a consistent issue with Whirlpools. He contacted Whirlpool and they quickly agreed to send repair kit for FREE. Took 2 wks for parts to arrive, and neglected to send along required tool/gauges for repair to occur.

I called Whirlpool C.S. and they claimed they knew nothing and said our fridge was on no problem list. I had repairman call Whirlpool and they claimed appropriate tool/gauges are no longer available! This fridge is only 1 year old!!! Now we are completely ignored. Whirlpool will not even talk to us about help of any kind. HORRIBLE customer service!!! Crappy appliance! After thinking our Whirlpool appliances were a good investment, I will NEVER EVER BUY WHIRLPOOL AGAIN!!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

Bought a WP 17.6 cf refrigerator in December 2013 for $584 at Lowe's. The ice maker went out two days after the warranty ran out and had to pay $85 to get it fixed. Within two weeks, the evaporation fan motor went out costing me another $250. Such a lemon. Will not be buying another Whirlpool product.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

My Whirlpool Refrigerator's compressor died after 3 years. I bought a Samsung since compressors are so expensive; it didn't make sense to fix it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

In July of 2014 we purchased a Whirlpool "Gold Series" model #WRF990SLAM00 refrigerator from Lowes. Within 6 months there was ice and condensation in the top of the fridge. After repair came out and replaced the main circuit board we thought the worry was over. It hasn't worked right yet, making loud noise. It continued to never make ice correctly and now, 18 months later our freezer is out! Everything is unthawed and it will not make ice. We called Whirlpool to explain our problem and the only response we get from them is....they can sell me an extended warranty. We spent $2400 on a refrigerator and they won't even talk about fixing it. We don't want anything free, just ours working. Needless to say Whirlpool lost my business forever. They will not stand behind their products!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

I had purchased a Whirlpool Refrigerator Side-by-Side ED2KHAXVS in Jan. 2013, the fridge had stopped working in the last week in 2014. I am out of a fridge as of today 01/13/2015. I did not have an extended warranty, I have called Whirlpool in Michigan and inquire if there has been any complain about the fridge, my question was not answered! I had bought the refrigerator from Karl's in Fairfield, NJ. I found out from the repair person that I needed a new starter and a new compressor, I was surprised to have learn that the major parts do not have any guarantee on them beyond the warranty. WHY IS THIS REFRIGERATOR IS NOT ON THE RECALL LIST?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

We purchased a Whirlpool French Door Bottom Mount Refrigerator on July 14, 2014. Price $2,139.99. We chose Whirlpool because they have always manufactured and stood behind their products. Hah! We will NEVER purchase another Whirlpool product or even a product made by Whirlpool. The refrigerator quit cooling over a week ago. After calling Whirlpool service center they set up an appointment for a service call. The repairman came out said it was the refrigerator fan motor and another piece. He tried to order both but was told the parts would have to come from Lakeland, Florida and it would take about 5 days or so to receive them.

We called Whirlpool. After being on the phone forever they finally said they would overnight the part to our home address then we should call the repairman to make a return visit. We received the parts last Thursday, called the repairman and he couldn't make it out here until today. When he got here and started to replace the part he discovered Whirlpool had sent the wrong fan motor. He called Whirlpool and they said the part was on back order and it would be shipped in 5 plus days or so. Both my husband and I talked with Whirlpool and the only thing they were willing to do is if they find the part they will ship it overnight then we would have to call the repairman and schedule another service call. They did say if we found the part they would reimburse us for the part. They wouldn't talk with us about replacing the fridge, etc.

I will be out of a refrigerator for what looks like 2 plus weeks and this is not acceptable service from a company like Whirlpool. Pretty much everything in our fridge has gone bad. Whirlpool is not even willing to compensate us for our loss of food. They said all they could was offer us a 6 month extended warranty. We are completely unhappy with their service or rather lack thereof.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

Purchased a G16SDRXX07 three door Whirlpool refrigerator two years ago. Ever since new, when there is a very short power glitch the refrigerator shuts down and will not re-start without manual intervention. This happened at two months. Whirlpool replaced the boards. Still does it. Also when this happens the water dispenser will no longer dispense continuous water. It stops after three ounces. Now they want to charge me for a service call and parts to correct a problem that is obviously built into the unit. There should be a recall on this. Whirlpool should correct the problem free of charge as it is obviously an electronic design issue. Upgrade the necessary control board and replace it. If not, after being a loyal Whirlpool customer for 42 years, we will replace this unit with a different brand that Whirlpool does not build.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

At after 4 years of use, my double door refrigerator is giving cooling problem. Upper refrigerator part has excessive cooling and lower part has no cooling... after complaints in customer care, engineer was sent who changed the part that regulates auto cut... it gets blocked by ice so cooling air is not reaching lower part. Once changed exactly after 5 days same problem started... In spite of complaints no one came to check for good 2 wks. After long fight, it was defective board that was changed again. After 3 days same problem again, board was changed... Now after 2 and half month same problem. And now today service center has replied that engineer will be sent after one week.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2015

Whirlpool is not doing anything. Horrible service in 1 year, they came 6 times to fix and it works for a month and then stops working. I didn't buy extended warranty and now it suddenly stopped working again. They are of course not helping. I will never buy anything from whirlpool and will ask all not to buy too.

Whirlpool Refrigerators Company Information