Whirlpool Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Whirlpool Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

Bought side by side in 2010 and after the first 3 mth the ice maker jammed up. Found out the dispenser door was not working right so it was change. But lo and behold the dame thing jammed up again within 3 weeks and the door is working. I will never buy WHIRLPOOL AGAIN. I hope they go out of Business. They are selling junk and they do not care. Made in American. Pack your bags Whirlpool. You are no longer needed.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

Whirlpool side by side with in door ice maker W10281961D - I purchased the refrigerator 10-2013. Within 9 months all of the food in the refrigerator side was freezing. Unfortunately, I did not purchase the extended warranty so I would turn up the temp control every 24 hours as suggested in the manual. The water maker then stopped working. I am disabled and money is tight, but I was wasting so much by throwing frozen produce and eggs away and was worried about thawing meat on the counter since it was not possible to in the refrigerator.

I finally broke down, called Sears, purchased the warranty at that time, which was $259.00 and when the repairman came out we found out the damper was broken, thus causing the food in the refrigerator to freeze and the motherboard had went out, thus causing the temp controls not to work. The extended warranty had a $500 max, so we had to pay an additional $120.00 out of pocket. It is working fine now, but in my opinion, it should not have stopped working as quickly as it did since it was an expensive purchase to start out with.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

Perhaps I am fortunate, but when I read complaints regarding products on the Consumer Affairs site, it makes me wonder because I never have any problems whatsoever with anything I buy. The only time was with a cheap $20 dvd player which lasted just a year. I was given a 10 year old whirlpool fridge 7 years ago. It still works great. Very cold freezer and great features such as frost free freezer. Also Whirlpool Estate budget line dishwasher, washer and dryer ten years ago. No problems!

Why do people spend thousands on refrigerators, washers, dryers, and dishwashers? Just buy the basics. It is not important to buy french door refrigerators, dishwashers with stainless-steel interiors, washers/dryers on pedestals and the like. You are only impressing shallow people. All in all, I will always purchase no-frills Whirlpool appliances. They are the best! And you can be like me and have no credit card bills and plenty of money in the bank with the result of low stress.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

Bought a Whirlpool French Door, Bottom freezer mount appliance from Lowe's in Jan 2014. Model WRF990SLAM00. Jan 2015 the freezer part stopped working. Whirlpool approved repairman came and knew exactly the problem because he was aware of this being a consistent issue with Whirlpools. He contacted Whirlpool and they quickly agreed to send repair kit for FREE. Took 2 wks for parts to arrive, and neglected to send along required tool/gauges for repair to occur.

I called Whirlpool C.S. and they claimed they knew nothing and said our fridge was on no problem list. I had repairman call Whirlpool and they claimed appropriate tool/gauges are no longer available! This fridge is only 1 year old!!! Now we are completely ignored. Whirlpool will not even talk to us about help of any kind. HORRIBLE customer service!!! Crappy appliance! After thinking our Whirlpool appliances were a good investment, I will NEVER EVER BUY WHIRLPOOL AGAIN!!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

Bought a WP 17.6 cf refrigerator in December 2013 for $584 at Lowe's. The ice maker went out two days after the warranty ran out and had to pay $85 to get it fixed. Within two weeks, the evaporation fan motor went out costing me another $250. Such a lemon. Will not be buying another Whirlpool product.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

My Whirlpool Refrigerator's compressor died after 3 years. I bought a Samsung since compressors are so expensive; it didn't make sense to fix it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

In July of 2014 we purchased a Whirlpool "Gold Series" model #WRF990SLAM00 refrigerator from Lowes. Within 6 months there was ice and condensation in the top of the fridge. After repair came out and replaced the main circuit board we thought the worry was over. It hasn't worked right yet, making loud noise. It continued to never make ice correctly and now, 18 months later our freezer is out! Everything is unthawed and it will not make ice. We called Whirlpool to explain our problem and the only response we get from them is....they can sell me an extended warranty. We spent $2400 on a refrigerator and they won't even talk about fixing it. We don't want anything free, just ours working. Needless to say Whirlpool lost my business forever. They will not stand behind their products!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

I had purchased a Whirlpool Refrigerator Side-by-Side ED2KHAXVS in Jan. 2013, the fridge had stopped working in the last week in 2014. I am out of a fridge as of today 01/13/2015. I did not have an extended warranty, I have called Whirlpool in Michigan and inquire if there has been any complain about the fridge, my question was not answered! I had bought the refrigerator from Karl's in Fairfield, NJ. I found out from the repair person that I needed a new starter and a new compressor, I was surprised to have learn that the major parts do not have any guarantee on them beyond the warranty. WHY IS THIS REFRIGERATOR IS NOT ON THE RECALL LIST?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

We purchased a Whirlpool French Door Bottom Mount Refrigerator on July 14, 2014. Price $2,139.99. We chose Whirlpool because they have always manufactured and stood behind their products. Hah! We will NEVER purchase another Whirlpool product or even a product made by Whirlpool. The refrigerator quit cooling over a week ago. After calling Whirlpool service center they set up an appointment for a service call. The repairman came out said it was the refrigerator fan motor and another piece. He tried to order both but was told the parts would have to come from Lakeland, Florida and it would take about 5 days or so to receive them.

We called Whirlpool. After being on the phone forever they finally said they would overnight the part to our home address then we should call the repairman to make a return visit. We received the parts last Thursday, called the repairman and he couldn't make it out here until today. When he got here and started to replace the part he discovered Whirlpool had sent the wrong fan motor. He called Whirlpool and they said the part was on back order and it would be shipped in 5 plus days or so. Both my husband and I talked with Whirlpool and the only thing they were willing to do is if they find the part they will ship it overnight then we would have to call the repairman and schedule another service call. They did say if we found the part they would reimburse us for the part. They wouldn't talk with us about replacing the fridge, etc.

I will be out of a refrigerator for what looks like 2 plus weeks and this is not acceptable service from a company like Whirlpool. Pretty much everything in our fridge has gone bad. Whirlpool is not even willing to compensate us for our loss of food. They said all they could was offer us a 6 month extended warranty. We are completely unhappy with their service or rather lack thereof.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

Purchased a G16SDRXX07 three door Whirlpool refrigerator two years ago. Ever since new, when there is a very short power glitch the refrigerator shuts down and will not re-start without manual intervention. This happened at two months. Whirlpool replaced the boards. Still does it. Also when this happens the water dispenser will no longer dispense continuous water. It stops after three ounces. Now they want to charge me for a service call and parts to correct a problem that is obviously built into the unit. There should be a recall on this. Whirlpool should correct the problem free of charge as it is obviously an electronic design issue. Upgrade the necessary control board and replace it. If not, after being a loyal Whirlpool customer for 42 years, we will replace this unit with a different brand that Whirlpool does not build.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

At after 4 years of use, my double door refrigerator is giving cooling problem. Upper refrigerator part has excessive cooling and lower part has no cooling... after complaints in customer care, engineer was sent who changed the part that regulates auto cut... it gets blocked by ice so cooling air is not reaching lower part. Once changed exactly after 5 days same problem started... In spite of complaints no one came to check for good 2 wks. After long fight, it was defective board that was changed again. After 3 days same problem again, board was changed... Now after 2 and half month same problem. And now today service center has replied that engineer will be sent after one week.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2015

Whirlpool is not doing anything. Horrible service in 1 year, they came 6 times to fix and it works for a month and then stops working. I didn't buy extended warranty and now it suddenly stopped working again. They are of course not helping. I will never buy anything from whirlpool and will ask all not to buy too.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2015

Bought a Whirlpool French door refrigerator in March 2014 and have had to have it serviced 4 times now - all for the same issue. We get frost in the refrigerator (not the freezer, the refrigerator). The same parts keep being replaced but they are all defective. This last time the service tech said he contacted Whirlpool and they had a redesigned part that should take care of it. Within 3 days of the new part being installed the frost is back. The other issue is the loud noise of the compressor. We have had multiple Whirlpool products through the years, but this is the last.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2015

I purchased 4 whirlpool appliances at Leon's in Mississauga. The side by side refrigerator was replaced within a few weeks. Got a new one and have had that one fixed at least 3 times already. The stove was serviced 3 times now, the washer broke so many times. They gave me a refund. The microwave broke as well. They told me it was not fixable, then I called Leon's and they said it was too old. It was only 18 months old. Did not get anywhere with the microwave. Had to buy a new one. The only appliance I had that didn't break was the dryer. So far.

The fridge now has broken inside, the crisper won't slide in and out at all. Can't be used. I bought a warranty on all the appliances, and even though I had a warranty, when a coin got stuck in the washing machine because the drum inside kept banging because it was in need of new struts, they still charged me 135.00 to fix it. Two to three weeks later a repairman came and put new shocks on it. Finally after having it repaired about 5-6 times in a year and half they gave me a refund at Leon's and I went to pick out a new washing machine. Overall I have spent about 6-8 hours on the phone complaining and making appointments with Whirlpool Canada.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2015

Wife and I bought a WRF990SLAM00 fridge in 5/2013. Seemed like the nicest model Lowe's had at the time. The first one delivered had problems: it wouldn't stand level or seal properly, and had to be replaced. Another unit was delivered a few days later. This one - the same model - worked very nicely, for a year and a half. A few days ago, it got loud. My wife noticed in the freezer, some things were beginning to thaw. We called Whirlpool, who said, "Oh, it's over a year, and you're out of warranty. Sorry!" Ok, so they suck. After we had a technician examine the freezer, he suggested, "This is something Whirlpool needs to address." It wasn't the first (or fourth) problem with this fridge that he's seen. Called Whirlpool again, this time to gripe. "Sorry, you're more than a year, so no warranty BUT, we'll sell you a service contract for $330! How's that sound?" It sounds like Whirlpool just disqualified themselves from ever getting their hands on another dollar from my family. There's too many other companies who DON'T treat their customers like garbage.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2015

Purchased 12/15/14 > Two weeks. Freezer 1/2 working, no cooling refrigerator. Contacted whirlpool, a service tech was sent out, tech contacted factory for assistance. Factory service had limited information on new production model, replacement part availability unknown. 48 business hours to conduct research. Six days to figure out what part to order/replace. No further assistance will be provided by whirlpool.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2015

Bought a Whirlpool fridge 3 years ago. Since I have moved it to its location in the kitchen, it hasn't been moved. Woke up one morning and water is leaking into the fridge. Used Whirlpool service and support. They sent out a 3rd party repair service. $85 just to come check out the problem. $253 to fix it. SERIOUSLY, a total rip off. It's either $253 or a new fridge. I am so Pissed. Whirlpool used to be a great product. I will never ever buy their product again. EVER.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

Just had the repairman at my house to repair my 2-year-old Whirlpool refrigerator Model GB2F4DXWS07 - he couldn't fix it. Just throw it away and get a new one. There is a blockage somewhere in the line, he suspects the lines were not cleaned before it was charged at the factory. Repairman said it was a typical 20-year-old refrigerator problem. Customer service was no help - Whirlpool live chat is "currently unavailable". Lousy product with worse service. I will never buy another Whirlpool product.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

In March of 2013, I purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator; model number WRF990SLAM00 from Lowes. About two weeks after my manufacturers warranty expired, I called Whirlpool because the refrigerator wasn't working anymore. It took several weeks and the need to call four different repair companies before we finally had one that was willing and able to come attempt to repair the refrigerator. They came out, changed a few parts and left. Several weeks later, the refrigerator quit again. This time, when I called whirlpool (about June 2014), I was able to convince them to give me an extended warranty. They told me that the warranty would expire in December, and that all the work and service would be covered up to that date. This was fortunate because that repair, parts alone, was near a thousand dollars. Of course, the repair company couldn't make these repairs in my kitchen, so they had to remove the refrigerator and take it to their shop for several days. By this point, we had lost two refrigerators full of food.

In mid-November 2014, the refrigerator quit again. We lost another refrigerator full of food. We called Whirlpool and the repair company again, and the repair was scheduled. I have six children and we spent Thanksgiving without a refrigerator in our home. The repair shop kept the refrigerator for several days after they fixed it to make sure it wouldn't leak coolant, because by this time, they had figured out that there were several pin hole sized leaks in the coolant line. It didn't leak. They had it for about four weeks total before they brought it back to us. By the next morning after having the refrigerator plugged in for several hours in our kitchen, the temp was at 65 degrees in the refrigerator and 60 in the freezer. I called the repair company again and whirlpool. The repair company has come to the conclusion that there must be a leak in the coolant line in the walls of the refrigerator and it is deemed unrepairable. They called the whirlpool tech line and the tech people told them to come back to our house and read the pressures the next day. They came out, read the pressures, determined that coolant had leaked out and told the tech department it was not repairable.

The tech department told them to go through the entire cooling system again. This is something they have done several times. Today, they brought the refrigerator back after going through the entire cooling system, yet again. It's still not working. As I type this, my refrigerator is at a balmy 55 degrees. The repair company and I have both, on numerous occasions requested a replacement refrigerator. This was a very high end purchase for us. The original cost of the refrigerator was around $3,000. I have lost around $1500 worth of food, which I've also requested on numerous occasions for Whirlpool to reimburse and they refuse. Whirlpool refuses to replace the refrigerator. Today, I found out that, by mistake, they gave me a one year extended warranty instead of six months. They said that it does not expire until June 19, 2015. Even with this information, they told me that the best offer that they will give me is IF I am willing to EXCHANGE my lemon that is in my kitchen right now, they will SELL me a replacement refrigerator at a discount. They say that the terms of the extended warranty are different than terms of a manufacturer's warranty.

This is unacceptable. I am currently out several thousand dollars for an over sized filtered water dispenser in my kitchen. Throughout 2014, we spent somewhere between three and four months without a working refrigerator in our home. As of right now, I haven't had a working refrigerator for about six weeks and through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. I bought the refrigerator because I thought it would act like a refrigerator and not a paper weight. An Implied Warranty of Merchantability has no expiration date. It requires that the goods be fit for the ordinary purposes for which they are to be used. This refrigerator is not fit to be used.

I'd also like to mention that during the times that I've spoken with Whirlpool on the phone, they have told me that they would replace the refrigerator if the repair company deemed it unrepairable. Typically when I call whirlpool, I am on hold for fifteen to thirty minutes before I get to a representative. Today, I was on hold for forty minutes before my call was disconnected. This has happened numerous times. I've also had representatives disconnect the call several times when they were transferring me to another department, or putting me on hold. I estimate that I have spent at least forty hours on the phone with the customer service department for whirlpool in the last several months. And even, with all that, I have not had a dependable refrigerator for eight months. I need this resolved and I don't feel that it is fair for me to be financially punished because of the lemon that I've already purchased from Whirlpool.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

Purchased a Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator model #ED5KVEXVB07 in July 2012 from Sears for about $1000. Unit quit cooling late Dec 2014. I did not purchase the extended warranty, so the Whirlpool 1 year warranty was all I had. The repair technician (local company, not from Whirlpool directly) told me that the compressor had seized up, and the repair would be at least $300. I thought I'd call Whirlpool just to see if they'd be willing to do anything for me. Long story short: No. I told the person on the phone: “I will never buy another Whirlpool appliance.” She said: “I'm very sorry about that.” After I hung up, I thought: If Whirlpool was really "sorry", they'd stand behind their products for a part that should not fail after only 2.5 years.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

Whirlpool WRF990SLAM00 french door refrigerator - We purchased this refrigerator in February of 2013. On Christmas Day of 2014, (not even two years later) the freezer and icemaker started malfunctioning. We spent $2000 on this fridge. Luckily we purchased the extended warranty from Lowe's. However, I'm so disappointed that a fridge that isn't even two years old already has an issue, plus we had to get rid of over $85 worth of spoiled food from the freezer. Credibility fail for a supposed quality product.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

After being a faithful Whirlpool consumer for years... I no longer have any faith. I purchased an entire kitchen suite. The side by side refrigerator Nov 2013. The first refrigerator was delivered with the side cabinet deeply dented in several areas. Another was delivered 4 weeks later. Silly me... I thought, "Okay, no big deal... what could go wrong?" I didn't take time off work again to receive the replacement. My son took delivery (never looked at it). I get home... the front of both doors looked like they had been kicked in all the way across! To add, the cabinet sides were textured (not smooth like what I ordered) and the door handles didn't match the other appliances. So, I called HDepot & called Whirlpool (only to be on the phone an hour each time due to high call volume. Imagine?). Then Whirlpool reps are talking to me like I am some sort of idiot... saying that the refrigerator was EXACTLY the same... not possible that the handles or sides were different!!! Because it was damaged (and I mean ridiculous! ) another 8 weeks for a replacement.

Frig #3 arrives and I take time off to receive it. Ah, the right refrigerator... but again ~ handles don't match. "Not POSSIBLE.. Ms. _ _ _ _... it is the exact refrigerator, those are the same handles." Hours and hours on the phone to HDepot and Whirlpool. Finally, HDepot rep has a WP rep at the store when I call, and bingo! Oh yes, there are two styles of the 'Exact' same model. The handles are ordered... 10 weeks later I finally have matching handles! But, wait... gets better. The fridge has been loud from the start, CONSTANTLY running but, not cooling some areas and freezing in others. Then when you open the freezer it is like a burst of winter wonderland is unleashed in your face. There are sheaths of ice building up on the top of the inside door. Hmm, I think what is going on?

The Whirlpool designated repair company comes out. Ah, well here is part of your problem. When the refrigerator was being put together they left a few thicknesses of blue packing tape between the door and the rubber seal in the freezer. The rep tried to fix it to no avail because the door was also warped. First they were going to replace the door. Waiting for another 10 weeks. Nobody calls, what's going on? Oh, never mind, or rather... that was 'never' happening. I have spoken to many reps with Whirlpool, I have been polite with all. In turn, from most I get curt hard ball back. The offers to resolve this from Whirlpool have been ridiculous. I am sorry for my loyalty to Whirlpool, as it has not been reciprocated. I have had two more deliveries - both the wrong unit! I never thought there were others out there. What a mess. They should recall.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2014

Bought a "Whirlpool" refrigerator and now it is dead after only 3 years - the gas is gone. The Dealer at "Budget Appliance" Surrey told us it was not a good fridge to begin with (but sold it to us for $900.00) and that "Whirlpool" had made a lot of fridges cheaply to begin with... So it was not their (Budget's) fault. When I contacted "Whirlpool" they were really too big to listen to my complaint and even though I had the receipt, they did not care to hear my complaint either. Never buy a Whirlpool fridge.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2014

I bought Whirlpool fridge in 2013 and as of today I am on the fifth ice maker. Unfortunately I did not get the extended warranty. It was purchased At Lowe's Model number GZ25FSRXYY2. Do not buy this fridge. I called Whirlpool to complain and got "sorry we can't help." Can you say LEMON?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2014

It's a fraud product. My sister brought brand new product whirlpool 215L single door product. Once it was unpacked, she faced lot of issues. 1st the product looks dirty when it was unpacked. 2nd It has dent on the door and side. 3rd It was not standing properly. 4th- above all this, their service is horrible, 1st service guy try to sell Stabilizer even though on the product it was written as stabilizer free, then the stand, then cover for it this company is cheating a lot. 5th we ask them to take back the product... they did all funny things. They tried to tell that it's our mistake not their's. And then they made to us wait for 6 weeks to take back the product.

6th When she received the replacement, we found that it's same product with door changed... sides still have same dents and scratches. 7th it was nightmare to get our money back from them. They talked very rudely even we call their Faridabad office. They just kept on asking many question like CID. After 8 months we received our money. After such an experience we decided never to buy Whirlpool product. They are fraud company. Never ever BUY WHIRLPOOL PRODUCTS.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2014

The drawer guides on the large clear drawer at the top of the whirlpool refrigerator are very flimsy causing the drawer to drop when pulled out to the stop. When I called about this I was told it was "cosmetic" and not covered under warranty. I purchased the extended warranty which will replace the "flimsy" parts with the same flimsy parts. On 6/24/2024 Denisia sent me new side rails, exactly the type I have. I replaced them but the right side one broke. I regret ever owning one and will not recommend a whirlpool product to anyone. It is very obvious to anyone, after using this product, that that particular part is not safe and is definitely more than a cosmetic problem. I have already dumped the contents on the floor once and have just managed to catch it more times than I care to count. I spoke with Danielle on 5/14/2014. She sent the small plastic "drawer" that goes on the bottom.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

In November 2014, I purchased a Whirlpool 22 cu ft side by side refrigerator from my local appliance store. During that short time, there have been 4 instances where the ice clumps together and gets stuck, causing a large amount of ice to dump inside the freezer door. When the door is opened, the ice falls out onto the floor. I usually spend 10 minutes picking up ice and wiping up my kitchen floor. I have had the local store repairman over. He told me that was normal. Two things are seriously wrong with that statement. When I spend 1600.00 for a brand new appliance, I should be able to depend on the fact that it will function in at least a somewhat acceptable manner. Additionally, that statement by the repairman convinced me that he was not really interested in fixing the problem. I really don't think the "normal" operation of a new appliance is for it to make frequent, large messes for the owner to clean up. This appliance is junk and you would be foolish to purchase it. Spend a bit more money and buy a Samsung or LG. Save yourself the frustration and sense that you have been cheated and deceived by Whirlpool. I will never buy this brand again.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

Whirlpool side by side. When the compressor cycles, there is a loud knocking noise. Called Whirlpool when under warranty with no results. They could not tell me the cause of the knocking. Sort of "live with it" attitude. The funny part is when we have someone visiting and the knocking starts, they are puzzled as to why we are not answering the door. Sounds like someone knocking on the front door. We have been whirlpool customers for 30 years. Probably will not be so in the future. Too bad that a great company has go the way of the Nash and Studebaker automobile.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

Has anyone ever heard of an "Example Warranty"? I did tonight during an hour and 14 minute phone call to Whirlpool about my dead refrigerator, which is clearly under warranty. The "Example Warranty" wasn't listed as a misrepresentation, the warranty excluded no model and was prominently posted on whirlpool.com. After talking to the 4th of 6 people, a lady eventually found the warranty I refer to (again, it is on their own website) and she used those very words to deny responsibility: "Oh, that's an "Example Warranty." I asked if I could have paid with "Example Money." More to follow.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

Recently bought a 19-cubic ft French Door Whirlpool refrigerator. Seems to work fine at this point, but the compressor/cooling system has a fairly loud swishing noise it makes off and on during the cooling cycle. According to the owners manual, this is normal. If I had known this, I would not have bought this brand. Believe me, it is loud and you can hear it from all parts of my apartment. Also, once you examine the fridge up close, it really is cheaply made. Low-grade plastics for shelves and compartments. And this was not an inexpensive product to buy. We are talking out the door paying $2,000. Sad it is American made. My parents bought a Samsung last year and it is of much higher quality than the Whirlpool I have. But so far, it is keeping the food cold. Just wish it was quiet.

Whirlpool Refrigerators Company Information