Whirlpool Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Whirlpool Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: June 17, 2015

I purchased a Whirlpool range YGY399LXUQ in 2012 from a great local appliance store, Trail Appliances. In 2013 the control panel stopped working and I contacted Trail. They quickly came out and replaced the control panel. In 2014 the same issue came up, but Trail could and would not do anything so I contacted Whirlpool Directly - they came out and replaced the control panel. In 2015 (same month) the control panel is not working AGAIN and Whirlpool has washed their hands of it. A replacement is over $400 + installation. The stove is barely worth that much. I would have thought that they would stand behind their product, in that this is an obvious continual issue or at the very least the service that they provide. I would not recommend their ranges to anyone because they will not stand behind what they product nor will I ever purchase anything that Whirlpool makes as it is obviously low quality.

Original review: June 17, 2015

We purchased our 4 French door refrigerator in November 2014. It started making a loud noise, like an air compressor about a month ago. So loud that when we are watching TV in the bedroom we have to close the door! It continued to get louder and more frequent so I called Sears. It is under warranty so they sent a repairman out. When he came, he said it was because we had the refrigerator too cold & it was causing ice to be stuck around the fan??? We had it at 5 and the coldest is 7... He suggested we put it on 3. 2 days later and it is making the same noise again. Will be calling Sears again. I saw a similar review saying the same thing!!!! This is a five month old refrigerator! Very disappointed in product and service.

Original review: June 16, 2015

Whirlpool Gold French Door - I purchased this fridge in Aug. 2009 (model GX2FHDXVQ00 22cu. ft. French door with bottom freezer). Paid 1800.00. The fridge stopped working after 5 years, but the freezer works fine. A fridge should last at least 10 years. I won't buy another Whirlpool appliance! JUNK!

Original review: June 16, 2015

Have a warranty with them to get reimbursed for repairs for a year. Have had to use it twice now for the same part. Customer service told me it'd take two weeks to get a certified repairman of their choosing to be reimbursed. Two weeks to go without a fridge is their solution and they have no other repairmen working. So I ask to speak to a supervisor and the representative tells me she won't transfer me out because that's the way it is. Paid out of pocket to get it fixed immediately instead of waiting.

Original review: June 16, 2015

Model number wrf990slam00. I purchased this French door refrigerator in September of 2013 (less than two years ago). Our freezer stopped freezing a month ago. Knowing it was out of Warranty we had a non-Whirlpool related repair tech out. He said the compressor was going out, he said to call Whirlpool because this should not be happening on a fridge less than two years old. I called Whirlpool. They offered me a extended Warranty knowing the issue for $320 so I accepted since a compressor with labor is much more than that. Whirlpool arranged for a repair person to come out.

The guy hardly looked at my fridge, didn't hook any gauges up and said "maybe just see it in a few days it works again..." after asking ME for a thermometer to check the temperature! I told him "well we had a previous repair person out and he said it was the compressor." He said he'd have to have someone else come out because he doesn't know anything about compressors. Um ok why did they send you out then! So the following week I get a call from a different guy with the same company saying my parts were in and they were going to come out and replace them. I said "I thought the guy didn't know what was wrong with it." He said "oh well it's the compressor and evaporator!" Ok well I guess comes fix it then.

They came out replaced the parts. Within 36 hours the freezer was working again, ok great! Well a week later we had people over and we bought ice cream and put it in the freezer. A few hours later we pull it out and it's melting. Called Whirlpool again, they sent a second company out. The guy hooked up his gauges and said it was definitely leaking refrigerant and the fibrotic in the ice maker was broken. He said he couldn't fix it because the company that replaced them is responsible for it, and that in this type of refrigerator the compressors need to be placed a certain way or they leak which he suspected that was the case. Called Whirlpool, they scheduled for the original company to come out. After 2 times of them not showing they finally came a week and a half later. The guy hooked up his gauges said it wasn't leaking and that the "other guy didn't know how to read the gauges."

He looked around for a bit, took my drawers out then put them back in and broke one of the brackets, then called the tech line and said "it's probably an internal leak." He said he needed approval from Whirlpool to look any further. A few hours after he left the refrigerator got warm. I called Whirlpool to expedite the claim and they said the company hadn't made a claim yet. Ok great. I have a two-year-old and I'm pregnant and we have no refrigerator! Called the next day. Whirlpool said the refrigerator is now too expensive or not repairable and they are going to make me an offer on replacement. Ok great! Well not so much. I call a few days later to see where the heck my offer is and they tell me "sorry we will only refund your Warranty" What! My fridge is less than two years old and I paid $2100 and it is not repairable and that's all you will do!!!! I'm in the process of fighting this but I doubt they will do anything.

Just don't ever buy a Whirlpool and if you do buy the Warranty the store offers! Each repair person that came suggested the same thing and said these new Whirlpools are junk and have had many of these refrigerators do the same thing. Whirlpool makes tons and tons of money making these cheap refrigerators but does not care about the customer whatsoever! Whirlpool has lost my business forever and I hope more customers because of this review.

Original review: June 15, 2015

We built a new home at the beach to enjoy our retirement and the builder installed new Whirlpool appliances. As far as we are concerned this was the BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY WE HAD. Our appliances were under warranty for 1 year as usual and after 14 months things began to break. The latest is the ice maker in the French door fridge. After finding the diagnostics test online I ran the test and determined that the whole ice maker needs replaced. This ridiculous since the fridge is only a little over a year old. We even upgraded the fridge to avoid any problems. After talking to the people in our neighborhood we have come to find out that most people here have had trouble with whirlpool appliances..

I am ready to send these to the junkyard and replace them with a reputable brand (LG) that we owned before and were very happy with.. I don't understand if there is all these problems with Whirlpool products why the technical team doesn't fix the problem... Get parts from the USA NOT CHINA!!! My neighbor just told me he had the repairman at his house 7 times to fix his fridge and finally got a new one. Just got tired of the hassle and expense....

Original review: June 12, 2015

We have a Whirlpool French door refrigerator with freezer drawer in bottom that is 2 years old. It makes a loud buzzing noise and freezes up in back of the freezer, as in a defrost problem. We have had THREE repairmen here to fix the problem, and after $650 in parts and labor, the same problem exists. Finally we were told that this $170 beautiful Whirlpool refrigerator is deemed repairable and is "junk." Whirlpool will not remedy the problem and three service techs cannot seem to repair it. I will NEVER purchase another Whirlpool product... EVER!

Original review: June 9, 2015

I have a rental home and my residence, I have purchased a fridge for BOTH places. Within 1.5 years, both of the fridges' shelving cracked. Customer service will not do anything to remedy this. It is a known issue with his model of appliance. There are numerous complaints and they DO NOT stand behind heir product. NEVER BUY WHIRLPOOL.

Original review: June 9, 2015

I purchased a Whirlpool fridge brand new. Not even a freaking yr old it went out!!!! Repairman came out and said it had leaked crap all over really. He said it would be too much to repair. Better off on purchasing a new one.

Original review: June 9, 2015

I purchased a Model WRF989SDAB01 Whirlpool refrigerator with the French doors and had it delivered in March 2014. The evaporator developed a refrigerant leak in May 2015. Whirlpool said it was not their problem since it was over a year since I bought it. The technician said this is a problem with this model. I am having it repaired under the extended warranty that I bought. One of my concerns is that the unit has two evaporators so the other one will probably start leaking any time. What a piece of junk. Don't buy Whirlpool. Their quality and service stinks!

Original review: June 8, 2015

We purchased our 4 French door refrigerator on 1/22/15. It started making a loud noise, like an air compressor. It continue to get louder and louder over a period of a couple of days. Called the dealer where it was purchased and a repairman was not available for another week. When the repairman showed up and diagnosed the problem which was a leak in the freezer causing ice and the fan to hit the ice, they were not equipped to fix that type of problem. We were advised to call Whirlpool consumer dept. which we did, and was advised they would send out another repairman and would be another week. Have had to move food and freezer items out of refrigerator. Two and one half weeks and no solution. Five month old refrigerator that is not usable. Very disappointed in product and service.

Original review: June 3, 2015

We bought a new Whirlpool side by side refrigerator almost a year ago based on good reviews. There are many things that we love about it; however it has had ongoing problems and the the latest one cannot seem to be fixed despite multiple repair calls by two different repair services. The service center has been responsive and even extended our warranty but we are getting tired calling them and having repair people in our home. At what point does Whirlpool consider its appliances to be lemons and replace them?

Original review: June 1, 2015

Whirlpool gold series refrigerator - We obtained this appliance in 2013. The ice maker stopped making ice. Later on it began to make super loud popping noises. Stops cooling, doors are rusting, drawers are broken. We do not have extra money for costly repairs. The Whirlpool brand was worth $2500 and the letdown priceless. Do your homework before purchasing a Whirlpool!!

Original review: May 31, 2015

Immediately after purchasing an entire kitchen of Gold Series kitchen appliances including the refrigerator with bottom freezer in 2/2013 from Lowe's we began having issues with the refrigerator. I am not an engineer and don't profess to be, but even I can figure out that the whole thing is a problem based on a design issue. The top drips water consistently and has from the first, which has been addressed numerous times. Ice maker replaced trying to fix the situation two times. The freezer guides were messed up and off from the beginning, and had to be ordered-waited for, then installed. In total a repair person has been here, an inconvenience on our part - 7 or 8 times and we still don't have a refrigerator that works properly!

The last time we had someone look at it, there was a part that had to be ordered from, yes, Mexico and we had to wait a week or so and they told us they could rent us a loaner!!! Are you kidding me?? I should have kept the old 26 yr old fridge in my garage that is still working that was built in America! After buying $8000 in appliances and supposedly a top of the line brand name that in the past has shown integrity to their products... I pay my bill each month, because if I didn't someone would put it on my credit.

But who puts it on Whirlpool's credit? Who is going to hold them accountable and how many complaints must there be in order for someone in the government to step up and do something to a company that is taking tax dollars from our US and sending it to other countries but selling less quality products to those who "do" pay the taxes? I am ready to sign a petition! I should have gone with the other brand! Any other brand would have given me a better shot than this of having less of an issue! Terrible experience and certainly NOT GOLD! Shame on YOU Whirlpool!

Original review: May 30, 2015

My refrigerator is now 5 years old. I have a stainless steel fridge. I didn't even have my fridge for 2 months and the one door started to rust. Whirlpool did fix that but now my fridge isn't staying cold. My extended warranty was just up 5 months ago. Figured some of the repairmen that we have called won't touch our fridge because they say the model that we have breaks a lot and that Whirlpool discontinued making this model. I am disgusted with this fridge.

Original review: May 29, 2015

Purchased the fridge from hhregg in August/September 2012. Model G16FARXX. After less than three years of owning it, found out today that the compressor is shot and will have to be replaced. Replacement/repair costs are ~$900, almost as much as the fridge brand new. Chatted with customer support and then would/could not do anything. I feel ripped off. If it happened after 5 years of use, then my attitude would be different, but not a major component going out in less than 3 years.

Original review: May 29, 2015

Ice machine went out right after the year warranty was up. Convenient right? We called a hometown tech to come out and look at the water valve. He was unable to locate it, so we called Whirlpool service. After waiting 30 mins, they told us they can't tell us where to locate it "for safety reasons," and if we wanted anything done to the refrigerator, we needed to pay a tech to come see it. EXTREMELY RUDE!!! I would NOT recommend whirlpool ANYTHING.

Original review: May 29, 2015

First the ice maker stopped making ice and then the freezer stopped freezing. The unit is 2 1/2 years old. Whirlpool wants $1800 to repair! No Way. Purchased a Samsung and hope I do better with this one. So little to be praised about this American brand.

Original review: May 29, 2015

I purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator on 12-26-14 for approximately $2000.00. I was happy as a clam. On May 22, 2015 it died. No freezer or refrigerator. I called Whirlpool because I had a warranty, or so I thought. The Whirlpool representative was less than helpful, couldn't send a repair man until May 27th. When I told her that that date was unacceptable her response was "well I could buy a new refrigerator." To say I was upset is an understatement.

Everything in the freezer thawed of course and I cooked for 12 hours trying to save something and gave away all I could and filled the garbage can with the rest. I lost over a thousand dollars in food. Apparently my call to Whirlpool generated a survey sent to me and I filled it out with malice. Whirlpool called me regarding the survey and said they were sorry about the refrigerator but the appliance repair person would be there on the 26th, and oh by the way will you do another survey about their response to my concerns? I was not very lady like when I told them no.

So here we are on the 26th and I've gotten a robo call saying the appliance repair man would be here between 2 and 5pm on the 26th. That "repair man" showed up @ 4:45pm. He never looked at the refrigerator. I told him exactly what had happened and what noises the refrigerator was making. He promptly picked up his laptop and said "I will turn the report in and their office would call me tomorrow to schedule a repair man to come and fix it."

Needless to say I was livid and told him that I had been led to believe that the refrigerator would be fixed by him that day. He promptly left right after he gave me his business card. So here we are on the 28th and no one from that company or Whirlpool has contacted me about when repairs will be made. I have never been this upset or angry in my life. I have a worthless piece of junk sitting in my kitchen. I've lost thousands of dollars.

I had saved that money to buy a new refrigerator and I'm not a rich person. In fact, I am a retired nurse living on social security and all I want is a working refrigerator that I've already paid for. Apparently Whirlpool could care less. I'm at my wits end as to what to do next. Of course I will call the appliance repair company tomorrow to see if they are going to fix it. I hold out no hope that it will be repaired. And yes, I'm tired of buying ice.

Original review: May 28, 2015

My Whirlpool refrigerator is more than a year old but have been complaining forever it seems. The serial # is 21142009, model WRT777REYWOO. All bottom cords etc. is out and 3 times I had people come out to fix and it never changed. The lettuce drawers freeze and in the freezer leaves ice cream pretty soft. I am so upset about this, and cannot afford a different one, no matter what brand because I paid around $1,000 for it and I am low income (my ss), 73, and disabled. But Whirlpool refrigerators are not worth buying if this is the standard policy to ignore their responsibility here. It leaks water from freezer to meat compartment, and I could go on but seems hopeless. My sister in Oregon had the same one and they took hers out finally so she could apply that amount to a different brand which has no problems.

Original review: May 27, 2015

I purchased a Whirlpool Ref side by side 11-2013. I have had nothing but trouble. First the Ice maker leaked, was fixed. The door to the ref has had serviced 5 times. The tech after many times trying to fix hinge on door twice was told to order new door. This took 6-8 week to get. Came today 5-27-15 too but new door on. It is still not right, has big gap in the middle - still not level as should be. I have called Customer Service again today with no help. All they want you to do is spend more money on a contract. I THOUGHT WHIRLPOOL WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A GOOD PRODUCT......NOTTA....WILL NEVER BUY THIS PRODUCT AGAIN. SO IF YOU EVER BUY WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT BE SURE TO GET EXTENDED WARRANTY. YOU MIGHT NEED IT..........STILL NOT SATISFIED AND NO HELP IN SIGHT.

Original review: May 26, 2015

My not yet 3yr old ($2100.00) Whirlpool refrigerator started having problems. I thought it was related to the ice maker. When the repairman came out, he said it had leaked the Freon, so I thought it should have been a simple fix. Boy was I wrong. It turns out it has a sealed system so no one can access this to fix it. It is now junk and I have to buy a new one. I will never purchase Whirlpool anything ever again and I will also tell anyone who will listen about my experience. My repairman said this happens all the time, and 7 or 8 yrs ago Whirlpool went from being one of the top models to being junk.

Original review: May 26, 2015

GB2SHDXTS02 - Bought the Unit and an additional 4 yr protection plan. Shortly after the plan expired the plastic drip pan cracked and spilled water all over the laminate floor. It is still bucked from the water. Repairman came out and confirmed the crack, but we were without the refrig for a couple of weeks. Now the top doesn't cool, but the freezer does. Problem probably the defrost system, the fan, the control assy, or the thermistor, but I am too old to fix it myself. My fault for not checking ratings before I bought, but built in obsolescence is obvious here. Whirlpool used to be a good company, but I will never or will my family ever buy another appliance from them.

Original review: May 23, 2015

Looked for the best refrig we could find and it turned out to be a piece of junk! Less than 3 years old, paid 2700$, french doors bottom door freezer. It started making a lot of noise it seem to be coming from freezer. Called Whirlpool, they said to clean coils. We wanted a repair company to come out. They set an appointment for next Tuesday between 12pm and 5pm. Said ok.

Was making so much noise, and no longer freezing everything so call said company. Lady was very rude, and said they would not be out on Tuesday but sometime the following week. This would not work for us so called another repair shop, said they would be out. They were here before 6pm. Found out that they have been having this problem, had same type of call already this week. Repair for this problem would be over $1100.00. No thank you! Would just as soon junk this appliance. So very sorry we wasted our money on this.

Original review: May 22, 2015

I have a refrigerator model WRT359SFYM00 that is 4 months old. It suddenly just stopped getting cold. Trying to contact Whirlpool warranty/service department has been a nightmare. Once I did get them they spent almost a week trying to locate someone in my area to service it. I was in constant contact with the phone support person, but they kept telling me "it's out of my hands" a "special" unit was making calls to find a repair person. After almost a week they informed me they could not find anyone but if I could find someone to service it they would reimburse me (max $250 labor). I spent 5 minutes and 1 phone call and I found someone.

They wasted a week bumbling around with wanton disregard for their customer. Their service after the sale is deplorable. They are staffed by people who answer calls but have no ability or authority to fix a problem. Worse yet, they kept telling me it was "out of their hands". If not in their hands, then whose? I assure you I will never buy another Whirlpool appliance simply based on this warranty experience. What a horrible way to treat your customers. Shame on Whirlpool!

Original review: May 22, 2015

I purchased the extended warranty for my refrigerator and the warranty company sent a technician out to repair my refrigerator. It has been six weeks and 4 attempts and no one can do anything to fix it. The warranty won't refund my money without deductions from the company coming out and fixing nothing and says it'll take 2 weeks before I can get that. After mailing in writing that I want to cancel 500 dollars wasted and no one wants to help. Thanks Whirlpool. I'll definitely let all my family and friends know of my experience.

Original review: May 21, 2015

WORST EXPERIENCE USING WHIRLPOOL REFRIGERATOR. I purchased a Whirlpool Refrigerator in July 2013 (Model - Whirlpool Ref New 495 CLUB IMPERIA). Suddenly it stopped working on May 12 and I registered a compliant to the customer care. Engineer came in same and I was surprised by the service, he checked and said he rectified the problem and he left. But the problem was still there and it was never rectified.

I launched the complaint again on May 13 and engineer came again and said there is gas problem in Compressor and he left by saying that another engineer will come to refill the gas in compressor. Next day new engineer came in he checked everything and said this compressor is not working and needs to be replaced. I said go ahead and replace it, he said it will take 1-2 days. I said “ok let's do it.” But now they're saying that they do not have the compressor in stock and they will change the appliance. Again as I do not have another option I said “ok let's do it.”

Now the drama start: they are saying I need to pay 20% as a depreciation of the total cost of the refrigerator + INR 1000/- (Cartage) + difference of the new refrigerator which comes to around INR 21,000/-. Well can someone tell me why I need to pay this huge amount when my appliance is still in 10 years of warranty and it's just compressor problem and rest of the product is just fine. After fighting with them come to a conclusion that I need pay INR 10,200/- and I will get the new appliance.

Now when I already paid the DEMAND DRAFT (DD) of this amount now no one is responding to me on when I will be getting a delivery of the new Refrigerator. Only God knows when I will be getting this. In this HOT summer we are facing a lot of issues just because of their bad service. No one from Customer Care is giving me any response nor are they taking my calls now.

Now can someone tell me what I should do? I am left with no option and thinking of taking a legal action against them and thinking of launching a complaint in Consumer Court against them. Please give me your suggestions and send me your response at **. If anyone from WHIRLPOOL is look into this, please help on this matter urgently and respond me back ASAP.

Original review: May 20, 2015

Whirlpool refrigerator model GX5F-IDXVB07; S/N K23918029; 24.8 cu ft purchased for almost $2,000 on 1/7/2014. Before it was four months old I had spoken with store about it frosting up the freezer drawer several times. Finally found it wasn't level and drawer was hanging. Ok figured it was ok, even though I had other issues with it. I took the cosmetic issue of false height on door, which made it seem larger and drastically size reduced produce drawers which made it necessary it actually cut off celery two inches to fit in drawer and door nooks being so narrow that they only fit 3 small condiments in them on the left door and it's a trick to fit thing in the right, but since they are deeper can fit a little more. Ok that's my fault for not actually measuring. But who takes condiment jars shopping?

The killer is that a leak in the ice maker, let's water/ice to build up under the ice maker on floor of freezer drawer. It then freezes there and if we don't take out the drawer and remove the ice chunks by hand it thaws and runs out in the floor about once a week. The leak began to be worse in August 2014. I understand it will need repair. What makes me really upset is the refrigerator is supposedly a very good brand and I have had so many issues with it that I curse it regularly. A two thousand dollar fridge with this many issues and I am stuck with it. I guess I should have contacted company before warranty went out, but we would get it past a problem for a while, then it would come back. I am just sick that I ever bought it in the first place! I hate it and will never buy or advise anyone else to buy from Whirlpool again. Quality is awful. Looks good on surface, stinks for quality.

Original review: May 20, 2015

Bought Whirlpool French door refrigerator. Unit was defective when delivered and I told them so. That was on 06/14/2013. Unit got progressively worse and finally has quit completely. At Whirlpool's suggestion we bought a Whirlpool Repair Plan Plus One (another scam) for $300. Repairman came out and told us the refrigerator couldn't be fixed. Now Whirlpool suggests their only option is for us to buy a discounted model. This refrigerator went from bad to not working at all in less than a year and a half. Anyone that buys a Whirlpool appliance with knowledge of how they treat customers and back their products has to be a little crazy.

Original review: May 20, 2015

On 2-26-13 I received my new Whirlpool Refrigerator, Model WRF989SDAE, KSN 4191832, 28.6 cu ft, french door for a price of $2500.00. November 2014, refrigerator stopped working. Though it was not under warranty any longer, the repair company advised me that the problem was a warranty item and repaired it at no charge. This process took several hours of work by the repairman and two visits. He advised that this is an issue with the refrigerator and Whirlpool is aware. Now, May 2015, only 6 months later, ice is building up on the back wall of the freezer and the freezer is running constantly and very loud. Bringing in repair person, hopefully before it stops again. Appears to be related to the initial issue. I cannot trust this refrigerator and would highly advise everyone not to purchase a Whirlpool refrigerator. Refrigerator needs to be replaced, not repaired.

Whirlpool Refrigerators Company Information