Whirlpool Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Whirlpool Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: July 19, 2015

I purchased a Whirlpool bottom freezer refrigerator for my wife's birthday because my old one was old, ugly, rusted and didn't match. Since she likes to cook, it was her dream in life to have a stainless steel refrigerator with a freezer on the bottom. At the time, it was the only kind that would fit into spot. One year ago, first the ice maker leaked causing water to spill onto the floor. Since I am a mechanical whiz I bought the part for about $30 and fixed it myself. We were happy.

After two years, the freezer worked, but the refrigerator part went warm. I had a repairman replace the control box for $100. It still didn't work. We called Whirlpool, and they said the warranty expired, but as a courtesy, would charge me $95 for a service call. That was not acceptable. They told my wife that the products were man-made and are prone to mistakes. I replaced the fan myself for $100, but drove a total of two hours to get the part since it was rare. It worked great. For one and a half weeks, we were happy. Then the refrigerator and freezer DIED. Only the light and the fan worked.

We bought a old school used GE top freezer, but at least it is stainless steel. We lost $2000 in two years and the people at Whirlpool refuse to do anything about it because it isn't their problem. Worst refrigerator EVER!!! !

Original review: July 18, 2015

Just like so many on this site Bought Whirlpool Model #WRF990SLAM02 refrigerator new in 7/2013. Just went on vacation for 2 weeks, I come back and the freezer and ice maker are not working. If what everyone on here are saying is true then it looks like I too will have to purchase a new refrigerator and you can bet it won't be a Whirlpool.

Original review: July 18, 2015

I had my Whirlpool Gold refrigerator for two years. I observed water puddling out of the bottom of the freezer about every three days. I called Whirlpool to find out if there was a recall on my problem. There was none although refrigerator repair companies said there should be as Whirlpool has a defective part. That part is the drain for the freezer as it clogs up and does not allow water to drain and then refreezes. When the freezer automatically defrosts, some ice melts and as a result the water comes out of the bottom and puddles on the floor in front of the refrigerator. I recommend that people do not buy Whirlpool refrigerators unless you are willing to pay over $200 to replace the end of the drain line in about two years.

Original review: July 16, 2015

Bought Whirlpool refrigerator in October 2014, model WDT710PAYH6. Ice maker never worked right and then started leaking water. A month later it is still not fixed even though it is supposed to be under warranty. I bought a Whirlpool dishwasher and stove at that same time -- both of those needed to be replaced right out of the box! Called Whirlpool and they won't replace. Only referred me to a different repair company. Meanwhile it is leaking all over the floor. Now I see all these complaints for the same issue, yet the Whirlpool rep says they know nothing of this problem! I have a brand new Whirlpool matching microwave that sits uninstalled. I am wondering if I should even bother. I bought expensive new appliances to avoid the hassle of older items possibly breaking down -- and I have never been more frustrated in my life.

Original review: July 16, 2015

Bought a French door whirlpool gold, wanted a good long lasting fridge. Bought in late 2011. After having it a couple of weeks we noticed the ice maker would take days to make ice. So we called to have it looked at. The repairman said if it is slow, switch it to fast ice. It made ice even slower, but the repair company said if it is making ice, and he comes out, we would be charged. So we lived with it. In 2014 it stopped making ice at all. We called they sent someone out and said it was a control board. They had to order it, and came back a week later to put it in. They left and said we would have ice soon. Never did!!!

So we call again, they come out and said no power to ice maker. He called Whirlpool and they said wires in the freezer door were worn and broke. Well the door is non-serviceable and the cost of the door will exceed the price of the fridge! What kind of crap is that!! Long story short I will never buy another whirlpool again, and when I hear of someone buying new appliances I warn them to stay away from whirlpool!!! Run!!!

Original review: July 14, 2015

Whirlpool Gold french door refrigerator. Ice maker stopped working and freezer stopped freezing. 888 complaints on these and they deny a problem.

Original review: July 12, 2015

WRF989SDAF 29 Cu. Ft.. We've had nothing but problems from this refrigerator. Water filter stopped working after 3 months. At one year, the left corner froze over and created a big bulge and repairman said it was a recall for a part and he had to completely dismantle the left side of the refrigerator. At one year 3 months, the ice maker started leaking water and all the ice melted and ruined our hardwood floors while we were on vacation. At one year 6 months, the freezer stopped working and we had to throw out hundreds of dollars in food. Along with the freezer stopping, the ice maker stopped as well and the water dispenser starting leaking again. What a nightmare this refrigerator has been!

Original review: July 10, 2015

I purchased a Whirlpool Gold French door with the bottom freezer in October 2013. I had one repair done while it was still under the 1 year warranty, but by the time it was 18 months old, it began leaking refrigerant. I was told by the technician that the cost to repair it would be more than the value of the refrigerator, and the chances of the repair lasting more than 6 months were minimal. I had to buy a brand new refrigerator (not a whirlpool this time). I contacted Whirlpool customer service but they were non-sympathetic. Do Not Buy Whirlpool Products - Poor quality and high prices.

Original review: July 9, 2015

Have had Refrigerator less than two years and the evaporator seal is leaking and all the Freon is gone causing the freezer and ice maker to quit. Will cost $700 to repair. Found out it is a known defect with Whirlpool. Called Whirlpool for reimbursement and they refused, saying they do not know anything about this issue. This is interesting since it is all over the Web with complaints. I have been a customer of Whirlpool for 20 years and they have lost me and everyone else I know.

Original review: July 7, 2015

We bought a new refrigerator when we bought our house in Dec. 2008. On the third of July 2015 my Whirlpool Gold stopped being cold. In fact it was a bit warm. Had a repairman out here today. Warranty expired and the compressor has failed. Wow! I'm not happy.

Original review: July 7, 2015

I purchased my Whirlpool French Door "Gold Series" fridge for $2179.00 in November of 2013. We just had moved into a new house and wanted a fridge that would last a long time. In the past couple weeks the freezer has stopped freezing and after calling Whirlpool I was told I was out of luck and would have to pay full retail price to get the problem fixed. This will be the last Whirlpool product I ever buy.

Original review: July 6, 2015

My wife and I purchased our new home in November 2014. The house was a foreclosure and therefore owned by a title company who gutted the home and installed all new appliances. Less than a year of ownership, the ice maker on the side by side fridge broke after normal use. Not having proof of purchase, I appealed to Whirlpool given the nature of my situation. They did NOTHING but try and sell me a new service agreement they offer to have it fixed. They cared little about my brand loyalty, situation or circumstances - all they wanted was to make more money off of the consumer. What ever happened to companies being accountable for the products they produce? What ever happened to companies wanting to do the right thing in order to retain loyal customers and increase satisfied word of mouth? Stay clear of Whirlpool... They're only out for themselves.

Original review: July 5, 2015

I had a kitchen fire in 1999. All appliances were replaced with Stainless Steel Whirlpool. My old fridge was an 18 y.o. Whirlpool and still works fine in the garage. My old above range microwave was 12 y.o. and worked fine, I should have kept it. I had to replace my new Whirlpool Microwave after 4 years and 4 repairs. (Main Power Diode kept failing). Now my Whirlpool Gold fridge is not defrosting, even the freezer light switch is frozen. This French door freezer also seems to have less capacity than my old upright freezer. The retailer seemed sympathetic and pathetic. They would not budge on repairs. I told the contractor that did the rehab on my house what happened, he said he would stay away from Whirlpool and that retailer.

Original review: July 1, 2015

My Whirlpool refrigerator/freezer stopped cooling just after a year. I had to buy a $319 warranty. It was fixed, but broke several months later. The repairman said he would try to stop the leak and it worked for a couple more months. The refrigerator was obviously irreparable and we should have had it replaced by Whirlpool at this point. Now, that it broke again (stopped cooling and freezing) the repair service is giving us the runaround. It's over a week and they wanted us to call a repair service and they would reimburse them. The repair service and Whirlwind know about this problem, but refuse to acknowledge it and are getting away with it. With all the comments I'm reading here, there should definitely be a recall. I'd like to know what it takes to have one authorized.

Original review: June 30, 2015

We bought a new Whirlpool refrigerator from Sears last summer --- and after experiencing some motor noise we thought this would be ok. We went away to Mexico for 4 months this past winter and this spring the noise seems to be much worse. It seems to have changed -- and we called Whirlpool and they would not help. They said we pay even though we bought this fridge less than a year ago. Consumers should be made aware that if your fridge is noisy you pay for any servicing - they only cover a malfunction. My fridge needs a professional to look at the cause of the loud motor noise.

Original review: June 27, 2015

Two major problems with my Whirlpool G15FSAXVY01 Refrigerator. Reported problem to Whirlpool twice, but no reply. Hired two different repair people, but they have not been able to solve the problem. Where am I supposed to turn?

Original review: June 26, 2015

I bought a new non-frost 14 cubic Whirlpool fridge Model # W4TXNWFWQ in 2013 from PC Richards. The freezer keeps getting busted. It actually produces a lot of frost which stops the entire fridge from running properly. The tech said this is a common problem with Whirlpool. I am lucky to have bought the 3 years warranty. But when I call to fix the problem it always takes them a few days and I have to miss work for this non-sense.

Original review: June 24, 2015

I am on my 3rd refrigerator from Whirlpool. The first one lasted 8 years, the second one lasted 6 years, and now the 3rd one has only lasted 4 years. This is just too much money to pay for a supposedly nice quality product and it go out as the warranty goes out. The second we had to replace the icemaker 3 times and a compressor. Now the 3rd is not cooling.

Original review: June 20, 2015

From the day I bought the refrigerator the icemaker has not worked. I have had a estimation of service calls (8) and nobody seems to be able to fix it. Whirlpool mailed me a new icemaker and still the exact problem; water and ice works but the unit still will not cube or crush ice; which by the way is the reason I bought a new refrigerator. My thoughts are I bought a lemon and the entire fridge needs to be replaced.

Original review: June 19, 2015

I bought my fridge 6 years ago. 13 months after purchase I had to replace the compressor. Last month I had to replace the water drip pan. Now the fridge is knocking and hissing again and warm inside. Compressor needs to be replaced. I contacted Whirlpool and they said 6 years is old for an appliance. Seriously!?? What about 13 months when the compressor went? They obviously don't stand behind their products. They are unable to admit I got a dud. I'm so disappointed and frustrated. Stay clear!!!

Original review: June 19, 2015

The tube drain was faulty according to the tech. He replaces several daily. I looked online and many other customers had/have the same issue. The piece he pulled out was for sure faulty. The new piece is made to work. The technician said others have had their wood floors ruined due to this part. Beware Whirlpool will not honor their product. I just got off the phone with them. Here is what they said, "Sorry this happened to you but there is nothing we can do". They don't care if your floor gets ruined from this faulty part. They also don't care if they ever get your business again... $167.55 for the simple repair. DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL.

Original review: June 17, 2015

GS6SHEXNB02 Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator - Bad ice maker module. Ice maker valve is bad. It's gone out 3 times a year since I got it. We order a replacement, it goes bad again. It's not the ice maker itself, it's a bad valve. Signs it's going out, ice maker stops making ice or the ice cubes are small or the refrigerator water will start pulsing coming out (start and stop). Whirlpool made a bad product and they know about. Several complaints online about the ice maker no longer making ice. Bad product.

Original review: June 17, 2015

I purchased a Whirlpool range YGY399LXUQ in 2012 from a great local appliance store, Trail Appliances. In 2013 the control panel stopped working and I contacted Trail. They quickly came out and replaced the control panel. In 2014 the same issue came up, but Trail could and would not do anything so I contacted Whirlpool Directly - they came out and replaced the control panel. In 2015 (same month) the control panel is not working AGAIN and Whirlpool has washed their hands of it. A replacement is over $400 + installation. The stove is barely worth that much. I would have thought that they would stand behind their product, in that this is an obvious continual issue or at the very least the service that they provide. I would not recommend their ranges to anyone because they will not stand behind what they product nor will I ever purchase anything that Whirlpool makes as it is obviously low quality.

Original review: June 17, 2015

We purchased our 4 French door refrigerator in November 2014. It started making a loud noise, like an air compressor about a month ago. So loud that when we are watching TV in the bedroom we have to close the door! It continued to get louder and more frequent so I called Sears. It is under warranty so they sent a repairman out. When he came, he said it was because we had the refrigerator too cold & it was causing ice to be stuck around the fan??? We had it at 5 and the coldest is 7... He suggested we put it on 3. 2 days later and it is making the same noise again. Will be calling Sears again. I saw a similar review saying the same thing!!!! This is a five month old refrigerator! Very disappointed in product and service.

Original review: June 16, 2015

Whirlpool Gold French Door - I purchased this fridge in Aug. 2009 (model GX2FHDXVQ00 22cu. ft. French door with bottom freezer). Paid 1800.00. The fridge stopped working after 5 years, but the freezer works fine. A fridge should last at least 10 years. I won't buy another Whirlpool appliance! JUNK!

Original review: June 16, 2015

Have a warranty with them to get reimbursed for repairs for a year. Have had to use it twice now for the same part. Customer service told me it'd take two weeks to get a certified repairman of their choosing to be reimbursed. Two weeks to go without a fridge is their solution and they have no other repairmen working. So I ask to speak to a supervisor and the representative tells me she won't transfer me out because that's the way it is. Paid out of pocket to get it fixed immediately instead of waiting.

Original review: June 16, 2015

Model number wrf990slam00. I purchased this French door refrigerator in September of 2013 (less than two years ago). Our freezer stopped freezing a month ago. Knowing it was out of Warranty we had a non-Whirlpool related repair tech out. He said the compressor was going out, he said to call Whirlpool because this should not be happening on a fridge less than two years old. I called Whirlpool. They offered me a extended Warranty knowing the issue for $320 so I accepted since a compressor with labor is much more than that. Whirlpool arranged for a repair person to come out.

The guy hardly looked at my fridge, didn't hook any gauges up and said "maybe just see it in a few days it works again..." after asking ME for a thermometer to check the temperature! I told him "well we had a previous repair person out and he said it was the compressor." He said he'd have to have someone else come out because he doesn't know anything about compressors. Um ok why did they send you out then! So the following week I get a call from a different guy with the same company saying my parts were in and they were going to come out and replace them. I said "I thought the guy didn't know what was wrong with it." He said "oh well it's the compressor and evaporator!" Ok well I guess comes fix it then.

They came out replaced the parts. Within 36 hours the freezer was working again, ok great! Well a week later we had people over and we bought ice cream and put it in the freezer. A few hours later we pull it out and it's melting. Called Whirlpool again, they sent a second company out. The guy hooked up his gauges and said it was definitely leaking refrigerant and the fibrotic in the ice maker was broken. He said he couldn't fix it because the company that replaced them is responsible for it, and that in this type of refrigerator the compressors need to be placed a certain way or they leak which he suspected that was the case. Called Whirlpool, they scheduled for the original company to come out. After 2 times of them not showing they finally came a week and a half later. The guy hooked up his gauges said it wasn't leaking and that the "other guy didn't know how to read the gauges."

He looked around for a bit, took my drawers out then put them back in and broke one of the brackets, then called the tech line and said "it's probably an internal leak." He said he needed approval from Whirlpool to look any further. A few hours after he left the refrigerator got warm. I called Whirlpool to expedite the claim and they said the company hadn't made a claim yet. Ok great. I have a two-year-old and I'm pregnant and we have no refrigerator! Called the next day. Whirlpool said the refrigerator is now too expensive or not repairable and they are going to make me an offer on replacement. Ok great! Well not so much. I call a few days later to see where the heck my offer is and they tell me "sorry we will only refund your Warranty" What! My fridge is less than two years old and I paid $2100 and it is not repairable and that's all you will do!!!! I'm in the process of fighting this but I doubt they will do anything.

Just don't ever buy a Whirlpool and if you do buy the Warranty the store offers! Each repair person that came suggested the same thing and said these new Whirlpools are junk and have had many of these refrigerators do the same thing. Whirlpool makes tons and tons of money making these cheap refrigerators but does not care about the customer whatsoever! Whirlpool has lost my business forever and I hope more customers because of this review.

Original review: June 15, 2015

We built a new home at the beach to enjoy our retirement and the builder installed new Whirlpool appliances. As far as we are concerned this was the BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY WE HAD. Our appliances were under warranty for 1 year as usual and after 14 months things began to break. The latest is the ice maker in the French door fridge. After finding the diagnostics test online I ran the test and determined that the whole ice maker needs replaced. This ridiculous since the fridge is only a little over a year old. We even upgraded the fridge to avoid any problems. After talking to the people in our neighborhood we have come to find out that most people here have had trouble with whirlpool appliances..

I am ready to send these to the junkyard and replace them with a reputable brand (LG) that we owned before and were very happy with.. I don't understand if there is all these problems with Whirlpool products why the technical team doesn't fix the problem... Get parts from the USA NOT CHINA!!! My neighbor just told me he had the repairman at his house 7 times to fix his fridge and finally got a new one. Just got tired of the hassle and expense....

Original review: June 12, 2015

We have a Whirlpool French door refrigerator with freezer drawer in bottom that is 2 years old. It makes a loud buzzing noise and freezes up in back of the freezer, as in a defrost problem. We have had THREE repairmen here to fix the problem, and after $650 in parts and labor, the same problem exists. Finally we were told that this $170 beautiful Whirlpool refrigerator is deemed repairable and is "junk." Whirlpool will not remedy the problem and three service techs cannot seem to repair it. I will NEVER purchase another Whirlpool product... EVER!

Original review: June 9, 2015

I have a rental home and my residence, I have purchased a fridge for BOTH places. Within 1.5 years, both of the fridges' shelving cracked. Customer service will not do anything to remedy this. It is a known issue with his model of appliance. There are numerous complaints and they DO NOT stand behind heir product. NEVER BUY WHIRLPOOL.

Whirlpool Refrigerators Company Information