1.49/5
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a home automation system?

Last updated: April 7, 2018

54 Vivint Home Automation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 7, 2018

After numerous problems, such as getting errors on my mobile app that “Sky Control Panel is not responding” and “Command failed” and making numerous calls to very polite people at Vivint and getting no resolution, I have had 2 repair appointments that were no shows and no phone calls. In fact, I am waiting now on the second (4 hours) no show after calling the office and being told they were finishing an install and would be here in an hour. It’s ridiculous. I don’t know where they find the nice people to keep answering the phones if all of their customers get the poor service I have received. I guess the company feels that since they have you under contract then you just have to put up with it.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Jason from Vivint claim to be Xfinity home alarm (LIE). Called Vivint the same day to inform they are not part of Xfinity. Was hung up on several times, several different numbers, no record of charging my card claim to not have me nowhere in their system but money taken off card. Scam company. Be careful. Listen with a third ear. Vivint is not part of Comcast nor Xfinity home alarm.

Get expert buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2018

My 90-year-old mother purchased an alarm system with system details and coverage beyond her means. The representative arrive in early am and spent over 4 hours convincing her to purchase an extensive security system. Approximately 12-14 months into the agreement, my mother was diagnosed with macular degeneration and is legally blind. Additionally, she is 75% immobile due to severe lower spine degeneration. I contacted the company on behalf of my mother and submitted corroboration of her condition from her attending physician. Also included, declarations offering additional corroboration of her inability to operate the system. During this period, the system began malfunctioning regularly. Alarm activating without cause resulting in an extremely loud high pitch shrill. My mother could not deactivate due to her limitations and calls to customer service left her on hold for 20-40 minutes.

My mom is 90 and can barely walk. Over the course of 2017 - 01.2018, I sent numerous correspondences via email, fax and postal. I made numerous telephone calls to no avail. Although my mom's medical issues met the required criteria to void the contract, Vivint denied our requests and continued to bill monthly and harass my mom for payment. The harassment caused my mother stress and worry. She was threatened with collection attempts and Vivint reps contacted her bank directly after I cancelled the automatic debit. All documentation maintained along with dates documenting direct contact with Vivint. Medical reports documenting her acute limitations were submitting over and over. I also submitted a Demand letter advising Vivint to cease harassment of my mom and this was ignored.

At the end of 2017 local law enforcement were called to my mom because the alarm system once again malfunctioned and the high-pitched alarm could not be deactivated by my mom. She was forced to call police from her neighbors because she could not remain in her home, customer service placed her on hold and the sound caused her tremendous stress. Local police pulled the unit out of her wall. Following this horrid incident I contacted Vivint again and conveyed the incident and threatened legal action for the continued harassment and their unwillingness to cancel the contract - even though all required criteria overwhelmingly met and corroborating medical documents submitted. Within days, an email from customer service received indicating contract cancelled and no funds due.

Last Thursday, Vivint collections started up again. My mom was contacted and again threatened with collection attempts. The ongoing harassment by this company is beyond any description I can offer. Their behavior and actions crossed over into elder abuse. I fully believe this "method of handling" disgruntled customers is systemic and deliberate. I am sickened by the efforts I've exhausted addressing this company's tactics. They bully and harass. The rep conveyed inaccurate criminal statistics in my mom's area and scared her into purchasing a system designed for someone living in First Knox. I anxiously await a Class Action filing and will welcome serving as lead plaintiff. If you desire an ongoing nightmare consider their services.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I've had nothing but problems with my Vivint system and their customer service is terrible. They are late or no show / no call for scheduled appointments. I had to resort to social media to get them to even respond to me, but instead of fixing the problem, they just blocked me. I would run and not walk away from them if I could.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I purchased a doorbell camera from this company on 2/2/18, it worked two weeks and stop recording and notifying me when motion was detected. I need the surveillance because packages have been taken from my home and the mail carrier consistently leave my mailbox open. They even broke it by packing it with packages that’s too large. Each time I called Vivint to come fix the defective camera they make appointments weeks away and the entire time I’m without service. Recently after over a month of waiting for a professional to come the doorbell camera still wasn’t working properly so I purchased and paid for an outdoor camera which worked but it too never notified me of any movements around my home.

I reported this to Vivint. They made an appointment for the next day in a window of 4-8 pm however at 6 pm they called me and cancelled my appointment stating the professional wasn’t going to come and they’d scheduled me for 8-10am the next morning. The professional arrived as expected and was as always very attentive to customer satisfaction but he’d explained to me he was given 40 minutes to complete this assignment. It took well over 40 minutes and he still wasn’t able to fix my issue but he did replace the doorbell even though it still wasn’t working. He sent a message to customer service of this and reset the panel box to a higher version that he said would fix the problem and would take an hour to reboot.

So he had to leave. He told me not to touch the panel which I didn’t because I left at 10 like he did. I returned home at 9:30 pm only to see the panel still loading. I then called Vivint customer support who had me remove and unplug the panel and backup battery. The panel still got stuck in reboot mode with no change. Although the professionals are nice and courteous the Vivint service is awful. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone at this point because they are a horrible security company and the products are no good. I’m paying for security and I’m getting ripped off because I’m simply not getting any service with them. That’s just bad business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Home Automation?

Original review: March 22, 2018

Pretty awful experience across the board with Vivint. I would NOT recommend signing up with them. At the time of installation, I did not realize it, but our Vivint technician (who was very nice by the way) left before finishing the job. He took off our old thermostats, put in the new Nest thermostats, but didn't bother hooking them up. I didn't realize that until late at night when trying to turn on the heat.

He also left a nice mess for us to clean up from the holes he drilled into the wall. Not a huge deal, but would have been nice if he cleaned up his mess. Also he didn't bother installing actual power to the security system. Didn't realize that either until I went down into the utility closet and could see there was no power to the system nor he did finish connecting all the wires that lead down from the doors and windows.

Okay, so you can't always control all your employees and what they're going to do. Maybe he was just one bad apple. That was not the problem. The problem came when I called Vivint and asked for someone to come back and finish the job. To my surprise the customer support person I talked with (who was very kind too) said they could not have anyone out to our house again for another 3 days. That's kind of crazy right? We don't have any heat. It's warming up as spring has begun, but there is still snow on the ground where I live and it gets really cold at night. When I explained that we don't have heat, and it was quite cold, she still kindly stated that 3 days was the soonest they could do it.

I did escalate the issue and talked to a manager of some sort. She too was very kind and professional, but she too said 3 days was their best. She then suggested if we can't wait 3 days, to call a heating and air company to come fix the issue. Then send the invoice to their claims department for possible reimbursement. Really? Am I being unreasonable? You have a technician not finish the job. As a result we're now without heat (or a security system). To rectify the situation, the best they can do is send someone in 3 days? In the meantime, I'm still paying full price for a system that was not completely installed. This all seems nuts to me.

Original review: March 22, 2018

We've had Vivint Smart Home since Jan. Since then, we've had electric bills more than triple! We kept hear our fan running and realized that there's no OFF feature for the fan on the thermostat. Only, on, auto, and two other options but no OFF!!! So, the thing has been running for no reason. We called today to have it removed but will have to pay for it. Smdh I want them to refund me money from our electric bills!!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

When I enrolled with Vivint I was told I would have lamp modules, but when the installation took place they were not delivered. The motion detector was also not set up. I called and reported this to customer service and I was told it would be shipped to me. I still have not received the package. I am disappointed in the service. I went with Vivint because my first encounter was so great, and since it has been one let down after another.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Back in July 2017 my neighbor at our businesses got a new security system. The sales rep called me and told me he could put an alarm system in my shop also for FREE! (Well, you know you NEVER get anything for FREE.) I agreed to have them install the system in my shop and the HORROR started. They installed the system to my existing sensors, then they had to change my hardwire glass breakage and my backdoor lock to theirs (how convenient). From day one my system did not work, had to call the technician back out to my business, the cameras were NOT working, the system was going offline 24/7 and my phone app NEVER worked. I was calling the company 3 to 4 times a week, having a technician out to my shop 3 or 4 times a week, (Dear GOD, I was getting tired of seeing them).

I was so mad. At one point they kept taking money out of my account I cancelled my debit card so they could NOT collect any more monies from me. They were on the phone with me and asking me to update my credit card and I SAID, "NO! NOT till you fix the problem at my shop!" They agreed to have a technician come out to my shop and he walked in asked me to show him where the panel was and he went to work on the unit. Left about 5 minutes later and said, "YOU ARE FIXED!" By the time it took me to pull my phone out of my pocket and check the app it was offline again, I went running after the technician. He said, "I will need to contact customer service department again and schedule another appointment." YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT?

So back on the phone with Vivint and the customer service rep now told me that the service call is going to cost me $49.99 for the visit. OMGOSH!!! At this point I told them to cancel my service. I AM DONE! And they will need to come and pick up their CRAP out of my shop. Their RUDE technician George came to my shop. Was to be there at 8 am and he called me 15 minutes before to tell me he was on his way. He was sitting in the parking lot waiting for me. I walked in and so did he and he was RUDE! He started telling me he was taking this and that and I said, "NO that was mine from the beginning. You were just using it for your system", then he said he needed to take the back door lock. I thought really? "Where is the one you took out of my shop?"

He said he was not the one that installed it and he does not know where it is. "I know where it went. The technician threw it out! So you can't take a lock that protects my shop and you have nothing to replace it with and I am NOT going to spend a dime on one, since I had one when you installed your crappy service." After going back and forth with all the stuff that is NO LONGER in my shop that belonged to me he said I received a FREE Alexa and he needed it back! I said,

"If it is something that looks like this, this is mine" (since my kids got it for my Christmas present). I told the technician, "PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE IT as I don't know how to work this one." The technician was demanding he needed it and he was going to take it since it was on the work order. I asked my neighbor (since we got our systems installed at the same week did she get one? She explained to me that she did not receive one.

Vivint took everything out of my shop except the backdoor lock, and the Alexa (which is mine) and walked out called this guy that was in my shop "BRO" and told me that I was on the hook for the $4,000.00 for their system. REALLY??? I have an email that tells me something different, he said it was contingent on the return of ALL the equipment, I said it does not say that! So think again "BRO"! Here is their email! "This email is to confirm that your account has been closed with collections as well as with Vivint. You will no longer have any further obligations or payments owing on this account. Please let me know if there is anything else we can further assist you with."

So I ask everyone to be careful with this company as they will try to SCREW you and NEVER HAVE YOU PROTECTED as they promise! My shop is protected NOW and the technician that came to install my new system could NOT believe the crappy workmanship, he said, "No wonder your system NEVER WORKED." Their (Vivint) system is for homes NOT businesses, I forgot to say, the reason for my system NOT working was that my system was trying to hook up to my neighbor's wifi and not mine, and hers to my wifi. UNBELIEVABLE!!! GOOD LUCK and I say go to a different alarm company if you are looking for one!

Original review: March 7, 2018

Very unhappy about the whole situation. Main reason I order this is to be able to open and closing my garage door from work or out anywhere. Before placing the order I told the rep and the manager who called to verify the account before installations I have a MyQ garage door by Chamberlain. Told me that should be just fine. However when technician showed up stated, "No. Sorry. Can’t approved this type of service due to compatibility issues." I’d like for them to either shorten my contract two years and also buy me a new noise free garage door that’s compatible with their system and install it for free of charge.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Beware of this company! After 10 years, I canceled home security service on 1.31.18 because we had disconnected our land line. I called the company and followed their process to the letter which included an email to them outlining my wishes to discontinue service. Guess what? I was billed in Feb and again in Mar for the canceled service. After my phone call today, I was informed that the could refund Mar but not Feb because it takes "one month to cancel service". If you happen to have this company and cancel- make sure to call your bank so they can no longer debit your account and take your money. Very dissatisfied with customer service.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018 Vivint has failed to provided me with adequate service. I endured numerous defective entry door locks and thermostats, that had an impacted my business.

May 2016, I contacted Vivint Smart Home Security to install a monitoring system (which included a keyless entry door lock, thermostat, door and window sensors) in my home located in Myrtle Beach, SC. Two years earlier, I had installed a monitoring system form Vivint at my home located at Rochelle Park, NJ. On June 06, 2017, less than a month of having my new system installed at my location Myrtle Beach, SC my keyless entry door lock no longer operated. My rental guests, that had checked into my rental unit was unable to gain access, they was locked out. I called a locksmith and paid $ 100. I had to compensate my paying guest for this inconvenience $100. I contacted Vivint about the problem and was told I had to scheduled an appointment for a technician to arrive.

It took a few days to receive that appointment. I was informed by the technician, that the original entry door lock I received had been stored in the warehouse for a long period which caused poor battery life. A new entry door lock was installed. Two months later, I had to call back for the same issue. My guest renting my Condo unit was locked out due to the malfunction of the replaced lock. Again, I contacted a locksmith $85 my guest was again refunded $100 for disruption of their stay in my rental unit. This continued and in Jan 11, 2017 another tech was sent out this time for my Thermostat that was not delivering heat to my guest renting out my property. The guest had to be refunded $100 again for having no heat for several days until Vivint tech showed up. On April 02, 2017 @ 2am I received a call from my guest in Myrtle Beach that they are locked out of the Condo and unable to use the code to enter the unit.

I contact Vivint and try working with their technical team to get my guests and their children back into the Condo at 2am. After a hour there was nothing Vivint could do. I then contact a locksmith to gain access. $100 charge for the locksmith and $100 compensation refund to my rental guest for the malfunctioning entry door lock. I spoke with Vivint the next day and filed a claim for reimbursement. I emailed my locksmith invoice showing payment and was deny reimbursement for guest fees. On May 09, 2017, I experienced the same lockout at my Myrtle Beach location again. This time @ 11pm due to the malfunctioning entry door lock in which my renting guest was unable to gain access using the code. I contacted Vivint, then contacted a locksmith again when Vivint couldn't solve the issue. $55 cost to locksmith $100 rental guest refund.

On October 08, 2017, my renting guest was locked out again, entry door lock malfunctioning unable to use code. I contacted Vivint and my locksmith again. $85 locksmith $100 refund to guest. On Oct 22, 2017 the entry door lock malfunctioned again and also my thermostat went out and my guest had no Air conditioning (cool air in the unit). I contacted Vivint and had scheduled a service call. The Vivint tech showed up on October 24, 2017 the problem wasn't fixed and the tech had to return Oct 26, 2017. I had to refund my guest $100 for the inconvenience.

On December 06 2017, my thermostat shut down again no heat and it was below 30 degrees in the unit. I contacted Vivint. Dec 07 2017 a tech was sent to replace the thermostat 8 hrs in my unit still no heat. He returned on Dec 08, 2017 still no heat. Scheduled another tech for Dec 09, 2017 12pm-4pm window. He didn't show. I called back after 4pm and got 4pm-8pm appt. Still no show.

The next day, I called HVAC guy who came and installed a new thermostat in 30 mins cost $140.00. I paid $249.00 for the Nest Thermostat @ Lowe's. Total cost $389.00. I canceled my service via email and phone at both locations with Vivint on Dec 27, 2017. Vivint is refusing to cancel my service at this point. I had a phone conversation was with Josh ** and Morgan badge# ** in the loyalty dept. on Feb 06, 2018. I informed both parties that all phone conversation was being recorded. Both Josh and Morgan displayed poor customer service. Each, informed me they showed no record of me canceling my service. I then re forwarded the original email. On Feb 12, 2018, I received a text informing me to contact Vivint. I called and informed Thomas badge# that call was being recorded. I also spoke with Kassandra badge# ** and informed her of the recorded call.

Both managers in the loyalty dept. explained that my accounts were not canceled and that I never requested cancellation. After a hour on the phone trying to explain the poor service and lack of communication within the company I ended the call with no resolution. I was contacted again by Vanessa badge# ** in the loyalty dept. on Feb 20 2018 with the same issue, having an active account. I again stated all calls received to my business or made by my business are recorded. I was told again by Vanessa badge# ** that I never summited a request to cancel my accounts.

My Desired Resolution: Immediate termination of service at both locations (Rochelle Park, NJ and Myrtle Beach, SC ) due to breach of contract. I wish to have no contractual ties with Vivint Smart Home Security. It cost my company over hundreds of dollars to deal with the poor quality of service from Vivint. Now, I'm being told to spend more of my company money for their poor service and equipment. The representatives that I spoke to on the phone. Josh ** and Morgan # ** Thomas badge# ** Kassandra badge# ** Vanessa badge# ** had extremely poor customer service skills and Josh blatantly refused to answer my questions as a customer. He denied seeing my email of cancellation and actually started laughing when I questioned him about it. My company records all phone conversations for legal reasons. All calls are available upon request showing the numerous attempts made by me for resolution.

Vivint is now threatening to send me into collections for the remainder of the contract. I informed them of the breach on their end for not providing adequate service and equipment to my business. In turn, I lost hundreds of dollars to contractors and rental guests. Not to mention, the hours of lost time constantly on the phone with Vivint. My resolution is a simple one. Since Vivint couldn't provide the service I requested, terminate the agreement.

Invoices from my locksmith Affordable Lock & Key. I'm still trying to obtain the additional invoices from the same contractor. Invoice from my HVAC guy that was called out to replace Nest Thermostat on December 12 2017. It was 23 degrees outside and I had no heat for 6 days. I made the call to Next Generation Heat/Cool because I had no heat in my place for 6 days and Vivint sent two different technicians on December 7 2017 & December 8 2017 neither one fixed the issue. They then scheduled a technician for me on December 9, 2017 and that Technician never showed up. I waited 12pm till 8pm. I have the invoice for my Nest Thermostat I purchased from Lowe's $249.00 I also have the refund credits I paid out to my rental guests. Reimbursement for lack of heat/ac in unit due to malfunctioning Thermostat and being locked out of my rental condo unit due to a malfunctioning entry door lock.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I am very frustrated with your smart home devices, repair services, and maintenance policy. Your Technician don't show for their appointment when scheduled without providing a cancellation notice by phone call. Your salesmen stated this is the state of arts system, with many advanced features which was great at the time when offered. Recently I been having problem with sensors and your customer care or customer loyalty were not able to remedied these problems. Wow! For an top smart home security system company you are going to have to rise game in this field to compete with other competitor. Furthermore I think I am paying too much for this system monitoring service, without equipment replacement and repairs included. Give serious consideration to employing more technicians to serve your customers. I have many regrets recommending Vivint Smart Home to my neighbors.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I purchased doorbell, outside camera, and control panel at Best Buy. I own all the equipment. I am NOT on a contract with Vivint and was told by the representative at Best Buy that I could cancel at any time. The equipment was installed in November of 2017 and my account was debited. A couple of weeks later it dawned on me I was paying for security monitoring which I did not need. I called Vivint and cancelled my account. I sent an email to cancel my account as instructed by the company website. A few days later, my account was debited for another month.

I contacted the Customer Loyalty Department on 12/09/17 and spoke to a female named Kelly who after I told her what I wanted tried to talk me out of it but I still refused and she advised me it would be cancelled. It never was done. I contacted my credit union regarding the situation and they set it up to reject any type of request for payment from Vivint. I sent a Certified Letter to Vivint and I received the card back showing a signature and date delivered. This was in December of 2017. on 1/20/18, I received an email stating my payment was rejected and a late charge would be applied. I have had it with the company! This has turned into the biggest scam/nightmare I have ever gone through.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

When I bought the system July 2017 I was told from the Salesperson Wesley ** did not have to have internet for the system to work. I called customer loyalty supervisor and she tells me that for the system to work properly that it needs internet.  So why would your salesman sell me a system when knowing I didn't have internet from the beginning and knew it needed internet to work properly and your installer coming home when he didn't have internet to hook it up to that is just a scam trying to scam people for money. A business should let a buyer know that without the internet the system will not work properly. I was never told that from the beginning.

I have had two technicians out here. One of them replaced the doorbell camera because it was not working. So I called in to technical support a week after the technician come out and the technical support had to walk me through the steps of rebooting my doorbell again because it would not show on the panel who was at my door and the doorbell when the visitor ring it it would not ring inside. Then it went out again and I had another technician come out and reboot it and the next day it was out again. This is a faulty system and I should not have to pay for a faulty system that does not work. I want a full refund of the equipment cost and I want to cancel my contract immediately.

I have contacted the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General's office because Vivint has not wanted to work with me and give me a full refund of my equipment price, they just want to give me a refund for the doorbell camera but that's the reason I bought the system in the first place so I could see who was knocking at my door before I opened it. If I want a security system I want the full package from the same security company so if I have any problems then I can call that security company. I don't want part of your Security package. I want a full refund and you can come and take it.

I have talked to several customer service loyalty people that they say they are and they're going to take care of me by the end of the call which none of them does and was supposed to hear from somebody to cancel my contract today when I talk to a Maverick last night on the phone he said that somebody from the cancellation Department would be contacting me today. Of course I've never heard from anybody because nobody ever wants to return your calls when you want a refund. Your company needs honest people and all of your supervisors on the right page cuz everyone I've called has told me a different story.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

My family and I have not had alarm monitoring for over two months and the panel was outdated since 2012. First, the alarm sensors went over sporadically scaring us in the middle of the night as we were not warned. Now, the panel is unconnected to the monitoring system and we are stuck in a 3.5 year contract and after 5 different appointments to no avail. The last technician never showed and even lied that he called and showed up. My family is more than frustrated and their option was to make another appointment!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

My husband and I loved the ability to lock, unlock, arm, disarm, and view our home all from our phones. If everything actually worked the way it's supposed to, it would be a phenomenal company for home monitoring and probably put most other competitors out of business. However, we've had our system for almost six months now and it's really been one problem after another.

We've spent countless hours on the phone with customer service and technical support (most of which was being on hold) and still have nothing but failures with the app, random doors opening for no reason and setting off the alarm, doors opening that SHOULD trigger the alarm but don't, and lately, the alarm sounding for a full ten minutes because neither the keypad nor our phones work to shut it off so we're forced to go outside (to keep from having hearing damage) and wait until someone from customer service can take our call only to tell us that they don't know what the problem is and they're sorry.

Anytime my app doesn't work, customer service says it must be my phone. When doors open without a reason, they say we must've done it from our phones accidentally (despite us being asleep when it happens). It's a joke to call and report a problem to them really because regardless of the issue, they're just going to say that you are the problem. I got a new phone thinking maybe that would resolve some of the issues (since they said it was my problem), but the app works worse if anything now.

After many app crashes and malfunctions, we finally requested a key fob to keep in my car so that I could disarm the system with that if I needed to, but it took them sending 3 of them before we found one that worked. It also took a cumulative 4 hours on the phone with them to even get it set up correctly. Not once did they offer to refund our money or give us any kind of discount for our trouble over this. They actually acted like they were doing us a favor not charging us shipping on all of the replacement fobs they had to send us despite the fact that it was apparently a manufacturing error.

Last night was the last straw when I came home, opened the garage door and inside door and despite the alarm being set, it never went off. My app was frozen, but it kept showing as the alarm being on and no doors were open. This is so unbelievably unsafe and gives me no peace of mind in leaving my home unattended. We're calling today to cancel our contract as I'm sure Vivint will take no responsibility for these issues as usual.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Do not get Vivint. The installation work that was done was abysmal. The panel was mounted on the wall crooked. They left numerous holes. They tried to leave a cord hanging out of a wall 6ft from the ground. There was no logic to the camera placement. The work was lazy and sloppy.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I got the system in July 2017. A few weeks later doorbell would not ring, the back camera would not record then the monitor kept saying back door unlocked and window but they both were locked. Then in Sept. the online camera quit. I called and they instructed me on what to do. Nothing worked! They wanted me to get a screwdriver to check sensor!!! I said, "Oh no." Rep said, "Why" I said, "Because I don't have one and I have RA and would be doing your job." So I still paid up until this month! But no more! Called my credit card company to put a stop to that!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Vivint company have lied and don't do business as per the agreement. First they trick you and inform you that they have all your windows have sensors. When I call them they state that I have to buy new sensors for each window. Basically I have been paying for the service and most of the windows don't have sensors. When my backdoor could show on the panel that it is open even though it is locked, they were unable to fix it, but would rather bypass, to lie and make you believe that the entire house is safe and secure. They lie, have false hopes, trick and don't offer services as promised by their own salesperson. I feel I have been lied, embezzled and fraud. Please I urge customers out there in Texas and other areas to stay away from this company.

What they tell you is not true, their aim is to trick you sign contract. Once things or when you experience difficulties, they are arrogant, rude and have very poor customer services. The salesmen came and told me that I will only sign for two years which was a lie. Why lie??? The sensors don't work. They cannot send a tech to come and fix the problems I experience thus causing my family safety anxiety, sometimes sleeplessness night. This is not the only complaint. I can attest that I have called them more than three times a week and nothing is resolved.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

On today 11/20/2017 I had an appointment for the Vivint tech to come out to check my alarm system. My appointment time was scheduled for 4 to 8. I called the 800 number at about 7:10 because no one had showed up yet. The guy that I talked to on the phone said my appointment had been canceled. He said that the tech had to leave my area. I became furious because I nor my husband canceled the appointment. I explained to the guy on the phone that our alarm is fault. Yesterday, we were unable to arm the house because it was showing three doors were open and they were not. The next day I was able to arm the house, however when I walked through the door then, I was able to walk all throughout the house for about ten minutes. The alarm never went off at all. That is crazy!

Now they are saying that it will be a week or so before they can come back out. The guy I talked to on the phone offered me a 75 dollar credit. That made me more upset because a credit is not a consolation for feeling unsafe in your own home with a faulty alarm system. Alarm systems are put in place to make people feel safe. Vivint has horrible customer service!!!! I am switching my alarm company!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Looking for a dream finding a nightmare should describe our experience. My husband was looking forward to enjoy and have a smart house, the same day after we signed the contract the technician showed up to install the system. In less than 3 minutes he drill through the wall on a wire causing half of my home without power. After a long weekend without lights nor outlets in half of the house I received the news that they won't pay for all the damage they caused. They pretend to pay just for that outlet he drilled through. Incompetence is an understatement. Save money and headache, take your business somewhere else.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

This is not a reputable company. I had reservations about signing a 60 month contract and boy do I hate it when I don’t listen to myself! System seemed to work well within my satisfaction guarantee period then went to **. The doorbell camera doesn’t work, ever. The app hardly works for AC adjustment but the sensors do work for break-ins, or trips at least. I had another property in another state 4 hours away. Sold the place. New owners didn’t want to pick up contract (which is way more expensive than the competitors). Can’t blame them. Vivint tells me that my $65 a month for crappy service won’t even get my equipment sent me. I would have to drive 4 hours to meet a "technician". He can install this "precision equipment" but can’t put it in a box and UPS it, COD?!? Now they’ll be getting me for $130 a month for the same “great” service. I hate that they got over on me. Don’t let it be you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Vivint placed a contract on my name and I never signed up to have an account. I'm not on the owner of the house and I never asked for a contract. They illegally placed a contract on my name without a signature or authorization. Then they sent me a bill, for a past due amount of $158.19 for three months of service. Again on a house I don't own and is not in my name, for something I never signed up for. And then said I had to send a written request with my driver's license pic to be taken off the contract. A contract I never signed up for to begin with and did not know about.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Well first off I wish the customer service here was as smart as the home system however to no avail. Alyson a supervisor with Vivint is a complete idiot and wasn't helpful AT ALL!!!! I have been a customer with them for years and they are continuously screwing up on the billing cycle. I am seriously thinking about leaving Vivint.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Prior to canceling the contract after almost 3 years, I would probably have rated this company a 4 - had security and fire monitoring and it was fine. However, when I canceled due to selling the house, I was told that my sales rep had lied when he told me I could cancel after 2 years with no penalty. I either had to get the new buyers to assume my contract, or I could buy out the remainder of my contract - with a 10% discount as an apparent attempt to make me feel better. Good companies do NOT behave this way! Google Fiber is the role model for the right way to treat customers in these circumstances! Vivint now ranks with Time Warner Cable in my list of companies I will NEVER do business with ever again, and I actively tell friends and family to do the same!! It is my bad for trusting the salesperson, but a quality company with a good product wouldn’t have salespeople that NEED to lie to get your business!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Vivint installed 4 cameras and the sales representative ensured me that they were the best cameras you could get. After several visits from technicians to fix the offline problem, I was told the cameras would not work with the system and I should have been told by the sales representative this before getting them. They offered to come get the cameras and they did. They came and removed all four and said I would be refunded for them. Problem solve right! WRONG!

I called about my refund and adjustment and I was told that the Vivint Representative and Technician should have never came out and taken the cameras. So I would not be refunded. They said they would bring the old cameras back and reinstall them even if they don't work, even though I have had this problem since day 1. I have only have the system for two months and the tech has been out since day 1. All I have ever wanted was a system that works and what I paid for. Not asking for anything free. I just want what I paid for. Is that too much to ask or is Vivint a con artist company that takes advantage of people???

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

We’ve had Vivint for a while and I’m happy with it. I have a glass break, a couple of sensors in the basement, and door locks. We’re just trying to be safe. I’ve had interactions with the sales reps a couple of times and I was okay with the service. The installation team was very good too. Overall, everything’s fine so far.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I’ve had Vivint for about two years now. We live in a neighborhood that has a high crime rate so we got them. The installation team was good and they installed what I wanted. I got a security lock for the front door and the doors and windows are all monitored. We also have control over our furnace, and we have a sensor that tells me if there’s something moving in the house. Their reps send a repair personnel when I need it and they’re on the phone when I need tech support. The system lets us know when the batteries are low, as well. Vivint may be the same as every other security company, but I’ve used other security companies for business, and this one is fine for our home. I’m quite satisfied with it.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

The equipment Vivint installed on an exterior door is failing. I've scheduled two times with Vivint to have a tech come repair the equipment, both times they didn't show up. The equipment was installed in 2 months ago. I've been on the phone with Vivint for 2hrs today trying to get this rectified. After 5 transfers I am finally talking with someone who cares and is trying to work with me. The first tech appointment cost me 4 hrs away from work - today I waited for two hours for someone to show up. I had to call Vivint both times - no one called me to cancel or reschedule. This is an expensive system. I do not recommend using Vivint at all. Watch out - the door-to-door salesmen are high pressure - they have a great line when it comes to customer care - do not believe them.

Vivint Home Automation expert review by Lisa Montgomery

Vivint is a company founded in 1999 that offers security and automation solutions. The company's corporate headquarters are located in Provo, Utah.

• Community service endeavors: In addition to equipping customers with home automation systems, Vivint has a community focus, called Vivint Gives Back, doing good for the surrounding community including a fundraising drive for children with Angelman Syndrome.

• Eco focus: Vivint is a company dedicated to helping the environment, and it offers customers ways to cut back on their energy use. The company also has a division called Vivant Solar, which offers customers the opportunity to create solar-powered homes.

• Affordable options: Vivint is known for offering some of the most affordable home automation options available with services starting at only $70 per month.

• Motion-activated video feature: Vivint's home monitoring system offers a unique motion-activated video, which means customers can see what their pets are doing at home.

• Special services for military families: Vivint offers special services for military families, including benefits and special contracts for families of deployed military members.

• Best for: Owners of both luxury and mid-scale residences, elderly homeowners and homeowners with young children.

Profile picture of Lisa Montgomery
    Lisa Montgomery

Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Vivint Home Automation Company Information