1.32/5

Need a home automation system?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

74 Vivint Home Automation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

This company is a bit of a nightmare. We had a door to door guy come and I told him I couldn't make a decision without my husband. He came back and convinced my husband to sign up for the entire system (cameras, detectors, garage door openers/closers, etc). First off, the delay on the front door sensor is delayed so you typically don't even see someone if they show up and leave fairly quickly -- pretty much defeating the purpose. Our garage door opener doesn't even work anymore because they did a shoddy job so now we cannot close our garage from our car and it doesn't stay shut. Then we got a notification saying they are discontinuing the app in Feb of 2019 and THAT'S THE ENTIRE REASON WE GOT THE SYSTEM! Now we can't even use our phones? Paying $100 a month for what? What a waste of money.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I wouldn't recommend the thermostat to anyone. The installer I had hooked up my thermostat and my AC ran for three days straight until I could get him back out. They sent the same guy back and he replaced my thermostat with the old one, but it was too late. The surge blew my outside unit costing me $2k to replace. Buyer beware. They also do a bait and switch with the contract. My salesman told me $2000 and 2.5 year contract and it turned out to be $3,500 and 4.5 years. I feel horrible that I recommended them to two friends.

Get expert buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I've called. My wife has called about their billing. Billing cycle is from say 10/25 to 11/24 due 11/9. My bill has always been due the 25th of the month. When we've called in the last 3-4 months everytime it's a different story. You log into the online acc and it says it's due the 25th. And I'm told I'm locked in till 2019 per verbal agreement. I asked for a copy of said agreement and it says in 2016 I called in and agreed to extended terms for 36 months effective 3/25/2014... Which should mean my contract is void or up in 2017 not 2019. Absolutely ridiculous service. The left-hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I called Vivint to inform them that I would be changing duty stations and Vivint was not in the area I was moving to. I followed their instructions and I was notified the account was in collections a year after I moved. I was met with horrendous customer service when I tried to resolve it. The company refused to even take a look at the situation. Run from this horrible company as fast as you can!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

First off, I loved my security system. I had no issues with installation or maintenance. The only issue I had, had to do with the thermostat (tech didn't use right wires) which they rectified quickly. I would recommend their service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Home Automation?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Vivint came to my house and I did buy the system. But I have a five year contract each on the service and the product. They told me they could use my old motion detectors and that is not true. I have the front door camera but when I am away from the house the delay is too much to talk to the person. Even when I am home the phone delay is entirely too long. I also bought the door lock but they would not install the lock until I cut the hole in the door myself. They made an appointment to come back but they never did. Thank goodness I did not cut the hole myself.

I have called to get a refund for the lock (which I never had possession of). They say they have not charged me for the install but I am still paying for the lock. The sales pitch seems okay until the installers arrive immediately so you have no time to reconsider. This experience is on my mind every day, I have had the system about a year. I really feel used and stupid for falling for this scam.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have never encountered a more frustrating and infuriating company than Vivint. Not only are they unethical and lie about the terms of your service, but then they proceed to provide the most unpleasant customer service. We purchased Vivint under the belief that we were in a month-to-month contract, only to find out 2 years later when we sold our house and needed to discontinue service, that we still had 24 months left. We were told we could pass the contract on to the new buyers or pay out the remaining amount. Of course, when the new buyers were unwilling to continue service, Vivint continued to bill us.

I've called their customer service line over 6 times, encountering customer service reps who only seem interested in getting us to pay out our contract or renew it for a longer term in our "new house" (which we've repeatedly told them we don't have - we're in a situation where we can't get a security system). I will NEVER recommend Vivint to a friend or family member and after our ordeal, I will go to great lengths to make sure everyone I know hears about their unethical practices, incompetence, and unwillingness to help or be reasonable in any way. The WORST company I have ever used. One thing is for sure, we will be using a competitor when we do finally get a new system.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was a Vivint customer for several years. I paid my bill every month, on-time and without issue. A few months ago I called to have my bill adjusted as I was struggling to reduce my expenses. They did change my plan and my bill went from $68 to $49. A few months have passed and I called this morning to cancel my service. I sold my home (needed to) and no longer need Vivint services.

After calling all service vendors all others canceled my accounts with no issues... except Vivint. They claim I owe $1018 to "buy out" my contract. They claim, during that call to adjust my bill, they said I agreed to extend the contract term by FOUR YEARS. Why would I agree to that to save $18 a month?! After speaking with 3 different people at Vivint it became clear to me that this is how they are trained to operate. This is not right. Be very, very careful if you choose to be a Vivint customer. It is now my experience that they will do anything to try to lock you into buying services. I will also add that they offered me a few different 'buy out' options, which tells me this is a common situation for them if they had those options at the ready.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Our doorbell camera was offline every other week, had technicians come out but they never really fixed the actual problem, just provided "Band-Aid" solutions. When we moved out of our house and my husband and I had to move into new apartments in separate states due to the military and work, they wouldn't even attempt to work with us to cancel our service. We had to call several times to even get an initial contact for the "special cancellations" team. After several emails back and forth they told us we were stuck in our contract and had to either pay the rest of the contract (over $2600) or continue the service which was in our house we had already sold... So now we have to coordinate with the new owners to have Vivint pick up the equipment as they don't want Vivint. DO NOT SUBSCRIBE unless you want to be locked into a 5 year contract that you literally CANNOT cancel.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I have been trying to cancel my contract with Vivint for 1 year. Every time we come to an agreement, I receive another charge. I have even paid the fee to cancel early and STILL received another charge the following month. Every time I call, I have to fight with them because they want me to email the request to cancel AGAIN! They never actually reply to the email or confirm they received the email. The actual security system service works well, and we were satisfied with the service, but the customer service team with cancellations are doing illegal things to trap customers. As this point I am going to fight them with my credit card company.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY EVER! They are not honest at all. I am so DAMN disgusted with them. I can't wait until this contract is over with them. I don't want to see another Alarm Company at my house. All of my cameras will work fine for me. STAY AWAY FROM MY HOME FOREVER!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I had a pretty bad experience overall with Vivint. On the positive side -- the products they provide look great and work great. The panel is amazing, and the notifications were handy. It was pretty awesome to be able to see who was at my door from work, and to be able to set the thermostats while I was on my way home... But like the customer service it was only a shiny veneer over an overall broken product with many shortcomings.

Things started off great. They are extremely nice and polite over the phone. They got us set up with what we wanted and their big "no pressure" bit is to only bring what you request initially so they won't get accused of upselling you. The installer seemed like a nice guy at first, but went downhill fast. My wife set up the sales call, signed all the papers -- everything was in her name... but whenever the guy had a question he asked me. This was a red-flag for me when a technician treats a woman with disrespect like this.

We had just moved into a brand new townhouse, it's 4 stories and was prewired with 2 doorbell chimes so that if someone was at the door you could hear it even if you were watching TV on the top floor. The technician didn't inform us that our existing chimes wouldn't work. He disconnected everything when he set it up. When he installed the panel, this information would have been helpful so that we could have put the panel someplace where the doorbell would be heard if we were charging our phones in a different room. As a result, he tore up one of the walls in the ground floor... And we'll come back to that later. It turns out that maybe it would work if we'd had a 16V-30VA transformer... But they claim that it isn't designed for that.

We had ordered the Nest thermostats with the salespeople on the phone. Instead, they delivered the Vivint "element" thermostats which I thought seemed kind of nice, but nowhere near as full featured out of the box as Nest. The garage door that was installed in our house was apparently incompatible with Vivint and they had no workaround, resolution, or suggestions other than: install a new garage door opener. The "smart" application for climate control was more of a "smart-alec." It changed the temperatures seemingly randomly and took several days to properly program it. This was exceedingly frustrating and it happened out of the box.

The door locks integrated well with the Vivint panel... which brings me to my next con. Once you dive into Vivint, to get the full experience you need to make sure everything integrates with the panel and phone app or you'll have a substandard and unsupported experience. The technician they sent was from 4 hours away, so as soon as he was gone he was loathe to help us out. He didn't successfully complete the doorbell installation, but was able to tell me how to fix it over the phone. He was not helpful at remedying any issues we had with the products.

Next: THE SUPPORT. These people were a gilded nightmare. They are extremely polite, but not at all helpful and treat you with a sort of disingenuity of a person who doesn't realize not everyone has the same use-cases as they do. When we said that we wanted the chimes to work... or have some way of hearing the doorbell on the 4th floor they said: "Why don't you carry your phone with you everywhere?" They couldn't come up with a solution at all on their own. I asked if they have a secondary panel to their hub, the first person said: "yes, for $30." The second person said: "no, that's just some buttons with no sound, we discontinued the secondary panel." I talked to two people because no single person was able to help me. I had a series of issues and they bounced me from department to department to try to get some resolution.

Over the course of 2 days trying to get an optimal product configuration I probably spoke with 8 different people. We found that both Ring and Nest have doorbell products that actually use the built in system to ring. They told us that we were silly for not using our phones and they had no plans to add that "feature" to their doorbell even though their competition was. We decided to return the doorbell. We asked if they could swap it for the outdoor camera. They said it would be an extra $70. Their website lists the camera at $199.99+$90 installation fee. We said: the camera is cheaper and we already had installation waived. I had to direct him to the website, actually read the address (he even argued about whether a "dash" was a "hyphen" with me). We were misled about how the doorbell would work, so you guys should make it right. The sales person put me on hold for a few minutes then said they couldn't do anything for us.

That was pretty much the final straw, so we decided to cancel the service entirely. The "Customer retention" guy immediately offered to install the camera and move the panel free of charge. For me this was too little too late. He told us to email documents@vivint.com to cancel. So I did. We didn't receive a response, automated or otherwise.

I called back the next day to verify, and I spoke with a woman this time. She ran me through the same spiel: "Oh, no, why aren't you happy? What can we do?" I informed her of everything that was wrong from the incompatible garage door to the doorbell that doesn't work to the fact that we were getting overcharged for the outdoor camera. She stopped me every time: "Well why don't you have your phone?" "Overcharged? No it's $279!" I told her the website said otherwise, she said, "No it's 279." I told her to look at her own website. She said, "Well that's wrong." I said: "Then that's false advertising." She eventually admitted that the cancellation order I put in yesterday didn't "go through." She scheduled a tech right there for us and we did get an email confirming.

To be safe, I mailed back the notice of cancellation via certified mail, as well. These guys had worn out my trust. The icing on the cake was how incompetent and unprepared their uninstallation guys were. They sent 2 of them. Neither had a kit to patch our walls properly and they neglected several of the holes they left. They forgot to turn our upstairs AC back on when they replaced the thermostat. They didn't know how to fix the doorbell chimes properly, fortunately I was handy enough to figure it out, even though now they only ding and don't dong. Bottom line, half competent technicians, gilded products and service that belie an overall garbage product that is not fully featured. All of this is hiding a company which, had I done the research that this reader is doing now would know is highly predatory and almost as hard to get out of as AOL.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

In the 2 years I've had 3 thermostats. The first 2 were installed incorrectly causing my emergency heat to come on when the air was running. After having HVAC check it out to say installed wrong. The cameras are poor quality and every time I call it's long wait and call times. The monthly fee is double the other competitors. Frustrated and trapped.

Original review: July 24, 2018

This has been a complete nightmare dealing with Vivint, really liked the products and have had no problems with that. But after signing up and agreeing to the installment plan to the tune of $27/mo for the equipment I woke up to a charge of $1630 on my checking account from Vivint, so far one week later I still haven't received a penny back of my money that they agreed to refund and admitted to their error. Have an appointment to get the stuff pulled out of my house in 2 days and can't wait to be done with them. Think I'm gonna go door to door with my neighbors to make sure they don't sign up for this garbage.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Panel has been dropping the wifi signal and we have made Vivint aware. Every tech has said they were confident to fix it. They were wrong. They sent a tech out without even letting us know. We were not home so we missed them. They will not let us out of our contract. Cameras also go offline. We are very unhappy.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Had a door to door salesperson come by, he said that they were testing a new application (Streety) and were offering the system for a deep discount to a few homes in the area. My wife and I had been looking at options for more security for our home and unfortunately he caught me at a time when I hadn't really started any research into systems and their capabilities. It sounded like a great deal so I agreed to sit down and talk through things. He walked through the offer and in his/Vivint's defense broke down the costs and fees clearly.

At this point I was interested and wanted to take some time to talk to my wife (who was out of town out the time and not reachable immediately) about the system and the costs to us per month, which as the Vivint salesperson explained were much lower than they usually offer (which I still do think is true). I expressed to him that I was interested but needed some time and in so many words refused my request. He said the offer was only available while he was there and that this "special deal" would be given to someone else in the neighborhood if I didn't take it. At this point I I should have said, "Thank you for the time and I would like you to leave" but instead I allowed myself to be pressured into the sale. He did agree to give us a week to try the system out and provided a Notice of Cancellation dated as such. He had an installer come to our house and put in the system the same day.

The system itself worked pretty well besides some issues with the cameras and a glass break sensor going off. Later I talked to my in laws who live nearby and they said they got the same sales pitch that I had. That combined with the fact that there was no contact from Vivint or request for feedback on the app made me realize that the whole idea of giving me a system for a deep discount in exchange for feedback on the app was just a way for them to get their foot in the door. This combined with the issues I had with the system led to me canceling it.

After I sent in the Notice of Cancellation I had to call to confirm the cancellation and schedule a time for the system to be taken out even though it sounds like on the NOC that is their responsibility. The bottom line is this, if I hadn't been pressured into the sale and been given time to do my own research then my (and Vivint's) time could have been saved. Some blame can rest with me too since I didn't politely refuse to hear about the offer before I could do my own research and feel comfortable with purchasing the system.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I bought this system through Best Buy and had a system installed --- the quality of the installation was subpar but adequate. I asked for a second doorbell to be added on and installed as an extra and was told by Best Buy and the Vivint rep that this would be done at the same price as the original discounted price for the doorbell. They came back to install the extra doorbell and wanted to charge me double what I had paid initially and was told I would pay. They said they broke their relationship with Best Buy and would no longer honor the discounts. I told them that I did not want the extra doorbell at the much higher price and told them that I thought their actions were improper and unprofessional - reneging on an agreed upon discount.

Their tech was very young and inexperienced and I had to have him do some of the work twice with resulting needed extensive paint and drywall touch up by me. If I had to do it again I would NOT BUY Vivint -- and would certainly not have bought them if I knew they would break their relationship with Best Buy --- I want to see if Best Buy will honor the deal and get Vivint back out but at this point I think Vivint is not a company to rely on or use.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I have been unhappy with Vivint. It was very easy to sign up and impossible to cancel. The door knobs are crappy. My smoke alarm hasn't been hooked up for over a year... they told me to replace the knob. I would be charged. There is no way to get out of the contract... my contract is up and I'm still jumping through hoops to be done with them. DON'T DO IT... IT'S A TRAP!!!

Original review: June 27, 2018

Let me start off by saying that I love my Vivint security system. I've had it for nearly a month and haven't had a problem. I love the doorbell camera, door lock, and the thermostat feature. The salesperson and the tech were very nice and personable, pushy to get the sale but not "too" pushy. The sales guy (Isaiah) still waves and says "hi" when I see him in the neighborhood or around town.

Their customer service department, however, leaves something to be desired. We'd called several times to ask about the Google Minis we were promised and the lamp control we ordered, but did not receive at the initial set up - we stayed on hold for up to 45 minutes (not an exaggeration) each time. It was almost like they were avoiding answering the question about the Google Minis and would hang up before covering that part of the issue. So we tried using the chat function - no luck there - in fact, the chat was less helpful. FINALLY I resorted to email correspondence with someone named "Christine" who didn't actually read the emails I sent.

After I explained the issue again (we did get one Google Mini when we got the lamp control installed later) she then wrote me that I probably misplaced the second one and to look around my house! When I sent a clip of the doorbell video of the tech only bringing in one Google Mini, I received a brusque response that the second would be sent through the mail. Again, I love my Vivint system, but if you are thinking of signing up with them, please do not expect to get a satisfying customer service experience.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I had a new security system installed in my new home. Over $3,000 of equipment. This was done on the 26th of January. I have had nothing but issues with it since. I have had technicians out 14 times now and the doorbell camera still does not work. They have terrible customer service and will not get this fixed. I have called and called. They are supposed to be protecting my home and I am paying them to do that... FAIL!

Original review: April 7, 2018

After numerous problems, such as getting errors on my mobile app that “Sky Control Panel is not responding” and “Command failed” and making numerous calls to very polite people at Vivint and getting no resolution, I have had 2 repair appointments that were no shows and no phone calls. In fact, I am waiting now on the second (4 hours) no show after calling the office and being told they were finishing an install and would be here in an hour. It’s ridiculous. I don’t know where they find the nice people to keep answering the phones if all of their customers get the poor service I have received. I guess the company feels that since they have you under contract then you just have to put up with it.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Jason from Vivint claim to be Xfinity home alarm (LIE). Called Vivint the same day to inform they are not part of Xfinity. Was hung up on several times, several different numbers, no record of charging my card claim to not have me nowhere in their system but money taken off card. Scam company. Be careful. Listen with a third ear. Vivint is not part of Comcast nor Xfinity home alarm.

Original review: April 1, 2018

My 90-year-old mother purchased an alarm system with system details and coverage beyond her means. The representative arrive in early am and spent over 4 hours convincing her to purchase an extensive security system. Approximately 12-14 months into the agreement, my mother was diagnosed with macular degeneration and is legally blind. Additionally, she is 75% immobile due to severe lower spine degeneration. I contacted the company on behalf of my mother and submitted corroboration of her condition from her attending physician. Also included, declarations offering additional corroboration of her inability to operate the system. During this period, the system began malfunctioning regularly. Alarm activating without cause resulting in an extremely loud high pitch shrill. My mother could not deactivate due to her limitations and calls to customer service left her on hold for 20-40 minutes.

My mom is 90 and can barely walk. Over the course of 2017 - 01.2018, I sent numerous correspondences via email, fax and postal. I made numerous telephone calls to no avail. Although my mom's medical issues met the required criteria to void the contract, Vivint denied our requests and continued to bill monthly and harass my mom for payment. The harassment caused my mother stress and worry. She was threatened with collection attempts and Vivint reps contacted her bank directly after I cancelled the automatic debit. All documentation maintained along with dates documenting direct contact with Vivint. Medical reports documenting her acute limitations were submitting over and over. I also submitted a Demand letter advising Vivint to cease harassment of my mom and this was ignored.

At the end of 2017 local law enforcement were called to my mom because the alarm system once again malfunctioned and the high-pitched alarm could not be deactivated by my mom. She was forced to call police from her neighbors because she could not remain in her home, customer service placed her on hold and the sound caused her tremendous stress. Local police pulled the unit out of her wall. Following this horrid incident I contacted Vivint again and conveyed the incident and threatened legal action for the continued harassment and their unwillingness to cancel the contract - even though all required criteria overwhelmingly met and corroborating medical documents submitted. Within days, an email from customer service received indicating contract cancelled and no funds due.

Last Thursday, Vivint collections started up again. My mom was contacted and again threatened with collection attempts. The ongoing harassment by this company is beyond any description I can offer. Their behavior and actions crossed over into elder abuse. I fully believe this "method of handling" disgruntled customers is systemic and deliberate. I am sickened by the efforts I've exhausted addressing this company's tactics. They bully and harass. The rep conveyed inaccurate criminal statistics in my mom's area and scared her into purchasing a system designed for someone living in First Knox. I anxiously await a Class Action filing and will welcome serving as lead plaintiff. If you desire an ongoing nightmare consider their services.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I've had nothing but problems with my Vivint system and their customer service is terrible. They are late or no show / no call for scheduled appointments. I had to resort to social media to get them to even respond to me, but instead of fixing the problem, they just blocked me. I would run and not walk away from them if I could.

Resolution response: April 15, 2018

I have to say although this company has its hiccups if you’re persistent and get the correct representatives on your issues as I did they will indeed solve your issues. I’d like to report Vivint has solved every issue I mentioned in my initial review and even compensated me for the problems by giving me bill credits. So I’d give them 10 stars if I could. Consumers keep calling until you get your issues resolved this is a very good company however all companies tend to hire nice, uncaring for others personnel from time to time so please give them a chance. You won’t be disappointed. I did.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I purchased a doorbell camera from this company on 2/2/18, it worked two weeks and stop recording and notifying me when motion was detected. I need the surveillance because packages have been taken from my home and the mail carrier consistently leave my mailbox open. They even broke it by packing it with packages that’s too large. Each time I called Vivint to come fix the defective camera they make appointments weeks away and the entire time I’m without service. Recently after over a month of waiting for a professional to come the doorbell camera still wasn’t working properly so I purchased and paid for an outdoor camera which worked but it too never notified me of any movements around my home.

I reported this to Vivint. They made an appointment for the next day in a window of 4-8 pm however at 6 pm they called me and cancelled my appointment stating the professional wasn’t going to come and they’d scheduled me for 8-10am the next morning. The professional arrived as expected and was as always very attentive to customer satisfaction but he’d explained to me he was given 40 minutes to complete this assignment. It took well over 40 minutes and he still wasn’t able to fix my issue but he did replace the doorbell even though it still wasn’t working. He sent a message to customer service of this and reset the panel box to a higher version that he said would fix the problem and would take an hour to reboot.

So he had to leave. He told me not to touch the panel which I didn’t because I left at 10 like he did. I returned home at 9:30 pm only to see the panel still loading. I then called Vivint customer support who had me remove and unplug the panel and backup battery. The panel still got stuck in reboot mode with no change. Although the professionals are nice and courteous the Vivint service is awful. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone at this point because they are a horrible security company and the products are no good. I’m paying for security and I’m getting ripped off because I’m simply not getting any service with them. That’s just bad business.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Pretty awful experience across the board with Vivint. I would NOT recommend signing up with them. At the time of installation, I did not realize it, but our Vivint technician (who was very nice by the way) left before finishing the job. He took off our old thermostats, put in the new Nest thermostats, but didn't bother hooking them up. I didn't realize that until late at night when trying to turn on the heat.

He also left a nice mess for us to clean up from the holes he drilled into the wall. Not a huge deal, but would have been nice if he cleaned up his mess. Also he didn't bother installing actual power to the security system. Didn't realize that either until I went down into the utility closet and could see there was no power to the system nor he did finish connecting all the wires that lead down from the doors and windows.

Okay, so you can't always control all your employees and what they're going to do. Maybe he was just one bad apple. That was not the problem. The problem came when I called Vivint and asked for someone to come back and finish the job. To my surprise the customer support person I talked with (who was very kind too) said they could not have anyone out to our house again for another 3 days. That's kind of crazy right? We don't have any heat. It's warming up as spring has begun, but there is still snow on the ground where I live and it gets really cold at night. When I explained that we don't have heat, and it was quite cold, she still kindly stated that 3 days was the soonest they could do it.

I did escalate the issue and talked to a manager of some sort. She too was very kind and professional, but she too said 3 days was their best. She then suggested if we can't wait 3 days, to call a heating and air company to come fix the issue. Then send the invoice to their claims department for possible reimbursement. Really? Am I being unreasonable? You have a technician not finish the job. As a result we're now without heat (or a security system). To rectify the situation, the best they can do is send someone in 3 days? In the meantime, I'm still paying full price for a system that was not completely installed. This all seems nuts to me.

Original review: March 22, 2018

We've had Vivint Smart Home since Jan. Since then, we've had electric bills more than triple! We kept hear our fan running and realized that there's no OFF feature for the fan on the thermostat. Only, on, auto, and two other options but no OFF!!! So, the thing has been running for no reason. We called today to have it removed but will have to pay for it. Smdh I want them to refund me money from our electric bills!!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

When I enrolled with Vivint I was told I would have lamp modules, but when the installation took place they were not delivered. The motion detector was also not set up. I called and reported this to customer service and I was told it would be shipped to me. I still have not received the package. I am disappointed in the service. I went with Vivint because my first encounter was so great, and since it has been one let down after another.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Back in July 2017 my neighbor at our businesses got a new security system. The sales rep called me and told me he could put an alarm system in my shop also for FREE! (Well, you know you NEVER get anything for FREE.) I agreed to have them install the system in my shop and the HORROR started. They installed the system to my existing sensors, then they had to change my hardwire glass breakage and my backdoor lock to theirs (how convenient). From day one my system did not work, had to call the technician back out to my business, the cameras were NOT working, the system was going offline 24/7 and my phone app NEVER worked. I was calling the company 3 to 4 times a week, having a technician out to my shop 3 or 4 times a week, (Dear GOD, I was getting tired of seeing them).

I was so mad. At one point they kept taking money out of my account I cancelled my debit card so they could NOT collect any more monies from me. They were on the phone with me and asking me to update my credit card and I SAID, "NO! NOT till you fix the problem at my shop!" They agreed to have a technician come out to my shop and he walked in asked me to show him where the panel was and he went to work on the unit. Left about 5 minutes later and said, "YOU ARE FIXED!" By the time it took me to pull my phone out of my pocket and check the app it was offline again, I went running after the technician. He said, "I will need to contact customer service department again and schedule another appointment." YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT?

So back on the phone with Vivint and the customer service rep now told me that the service call is going to cost me $49.99 for the visit. OMGOSH!!! At this point I told them to cancel my service. I AM DONE! And they will need to come and pick up their CRAP out of my shop. Their RUDE technician George came to my shop. Was to be there at 8 am and he called me 15 minutes before to tell me he was on his way. He was sitting in the parking lot waiting for me. I walked in and so did he and he was RUDE! He started telling me he was taking this and that and I said, "NO that was mine from the beginning. You were just using it for your system", then he said he needed to take the back door lock. I thought really? "Where is the one you took out of my shop?"

He said he was not the one that installed it and he does not know where it is. "I know where it went. The technician threw it out! So you can't take a lock that protects my shop and you have nothing to replace it with and I am NOT going to spend a dime on one, since I had one when you installed your crappy service." After going back and forth with all the stuff that is NO LONGER in my shop that belonged to me he said I received a FREE Alexa and he needed it back! I said,

"If it is something that looks like this, this is mine" (since my kids got it for my Christmas present). I told the technician, "PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE IT as I don't know how to work this one." The technician was demanding he needed it and he was going to take it since it was on the work order. I asked my neighbor (since we got our systems installed at the same week did she get one? She explained to me that she did not receive one.

Vivint took everything out of my shop except the backdoor lock, and the Alexa (which is mine) and walked out called this guy that was in my shop "BRO" and told me that I was on the hook for the $4,000.00 for their system. REALLY??? I have an email that tells me something different, he said it was contingent on the return of ALL the equipment, I said it does not say that! So think again "BRO"! Here is their email! "This email is to confirm that your account has been closed with collections as well as with Vivint. You will no longer have any further obligations or payments owing on this account. Please let me know if there is anything else we can further assist you with."

So I ask everyone to be careful with this company as they will try to SCREW you and NEVER HAVE YOU PROTECTED as they promise! My shop is protected NOW and the technician that came to install my new system could NOT believe the crappy workmanship, he said, "No wonder your system NEVER WORKED." Their (Vivint) system is for homes NOT businesses, I forgot to say, the reason for my system NOT working was that my system was trying to hook up to my neighbor's wifi and not mine, and hers to my wifi. UNBELIEVABLE!!! GOOD LUCK and I say go to a different alarm company if you are looking for one!

Original review: March 7, 2018

Very unhappy about the whole situation. Main reason I order this is to be able to open and closing my garage door from work or out anywhere. Before placing the order I told the rep and the manager who called to verify the account before installations I have a MyQ garage door by Chamberlain. Told me that should be just fine. However when technician showed up stated, "No. Sorry. Can’t approved this type of service due to compatibility issues." I’d like for them to either shorten my contract two years and also buy me a new noise free garage door that’s compatible with their system and install it for free of charge.

Vivint Home Automation expert review by Lisa Montgomery

Vivint is a company founded in 1999 that offers security and automation solutions. The company's corporate headquarters are located in Provo, Utah.

• Community service endeavors: In addition to equipping customers with home automation systems, Vivint has a community focus, called Vivint Gives Back, doing good for the surrounding community including a fundraising drive for children with Angelman Syndrome.

• Eco focus: Vivint is a company dedicated to helping the environment, and it offers customers ways to cut back on their energy use. The company also has a division called Vivant Solar, which offers customers the opportunity to create solar-powered homes.

• Affordable options: Vivint is known for offering some of the most affordable home automation options available with services starting at only $70 per month.

• Motion-activated video feature: Vivint's home monitoring system offers a unique motion-activated video, which means customers can see what their pets are doing at home.

• Special services for military families: Vivint offers special services for military families, including benefits and special contracts for families of deployed military members.

• Best for: Owners of both luxury and mid-scale residences, elderly homeowners and homeowners with young children.

Profile picture of Lisa Montgomery
    Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Vivint Home Automation Company Information