1.93/5
  • 1 star
Based on 40 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a home automation system?

Vivint Home Automation

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

40 Vivint Home Automation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

When I bought the system July 2017 I was told from the Salesperson Wesley ** did not have to have internet for the system to work. I called customer loyalty supervisor and she tells me that for the system to work properly that it needs internet.  So why would your salesman sell me a system when knowing I didn't have internet from the beginning and knew it needed internet to work properly and your installer coming home when he didn't have internet to hook it up to that is just a scam trying to scam people for money. A business should let a buyer know that without the internet the system will not work properly. I was never told that from the beginning.

I have had two technicians out here. One of them replaced the doorbell camera because it was not working. So I called in to technical support a week after the technician come out and the technical support had to walk me through the steps of rebooting my doorbell again because it would not show on the panel who was at my door and the doorbell when the visitor ring it it would not ring inside. Then it went out again and I had another technician come out and reboot it and the next day it was out again. This is a faulty system and I should not have to pay for a faulty system that does not work. I want a full refund of the equipment cost and I want to cancel my contract immediately.

I have contacted the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General's office because Vivint has not wanted to work with me and give me a full refund of my equipment price, they just want to give me a refund for the doorbell camera but that's the reason I bought the system in the first place so I could see who was knocking at my door before I opened it. If I want a security system I want the full package from the same security company so if I have any problems then I can call that security company. I don't want part of your Security package. I want a full refund and you can come and take it.

I have talked to several customer service loyalty people that they say they are and they're going to take care of me by the end of the call which none of them does and was supposed to hear from somebody to cancel my contract today when I talk to a Maverick last night on the phone he said that somebody from the cancellation Department would be contacting me today. Of course I've never heard from anybody because nobody ever wants to return your calls when you want a refund. Your company needs honest people and all of your supervisors on the right page cuz everyone I've called has told me a different story.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

My family and I have not had alarm monitoring for over two months and the panel was outdated since 2012. First, the alarm sensors went over sporadically scaring us in the middle of the night as we were not warned. Now, the panel is unconnected to the monitoring system and we are stuck in a 3.5 year contract and after 5 different appointments to no avail. The last technician never showed and even lied that he called and showed up. My family is more than frustrated and their option was to make another appointment!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

My husband and I loved the ability to lock, unlock, arm, disarm, and view our home all from our phones. If everything actually worked the way it's supposed to, it would be a phenomenal company for home monitoring and probably put most other competitors out of business. However, we've had our system for almost six months now and it's really been one problem after another.

We've spent countless hours on the phone with customer service and technical support (most of which was being on hold) and still have nothing but failures with the app, random doors opening for no reason and setting off the alarm, doors opening that SHOULD trigger the alarm but don't, and lately, the alarm sounding for a full ten minutes because neither the keypad nor our phones work to shut it off so we're forced to go outside (to keep from having hearing damage) and wait until someone from customer service can take our call only to tell us that they don't know what the problem is and they're sorry.

Anytime my app doesn't work, customer service says it must be my phone. When doors open without a reason, they say we must've done it from our phones accidentally (despite us being asleep when it happens). It's a joke to call and report a problem to them really because regardless of the issue, they're just going to say that you are the problem. I got a new phone thinking maybe that would resolve some of the issues (since they said it was my problem), but the app works worse if anything now.

After many app crashes and malfunctions, we finally requested a key fob to keep in my car so that I could disarm the system with that if I needed to, but it took them sending 3 of them before we found one that worked. It also took a cumulative 4 hours on the phone with them to even get it set up correctly. Not once did they offer to refund our money or give us any kind of discount for our trouble over this. They actually acted like they were doing us a favor not charging us shipping on all of the replacement fobs they had to send us despite the fact that it was apparently a manufacturing error.

Last night was the last straw when I came home, opened the garage door and inside door and despite the alarm being set, it never went off. My app was frozen, but it kept showing as the alarm being on and no doors were open. This is so unbelievably unsafe and gives me no peace of mind in leaving my home unattended. We're calling today to cancel our contract as I'm sure Vivint will take no responsibility for these issues as usual.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Do not get Vivint. The installation work that was done was abysmal. The panel was mounted on the wall crooked. They left numerous holes. They tried to leave a cord hanging out of a wall 6ft from the ground. There was no logic to the camera placement. The work was lazy and sloppy.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I got the system in July 2017. A few weeks later doorbell would not ring, the back camera would not record then the monitor kept saying back door unlocked and window but they both were locked. Then in Sept. the online camera quit. I called and they instructed me on what to do. Nothing worked! They wanted me to get a screwdriver to check sensor!!! I said, "Oh no." Rep said, "Why" I said, "Because I don't have one and I have RA and would be doing your job." So I still paid up until this month! But no more! Called my credit card company to put a stop to that!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Home Automation?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Vivint company have lied and don't do business as per the agreement. First they trick you and inform you that they have all your windows have sensors. When I call them they state that I have to buy new sensors for each window. Basically I have been paying for the service and most of the windows don't have sensors. When my backdoor could show on the panel that it is open even though it is locked, they were unable to fix it, but would rather bypass, to lie and make you believe that the entire house is safe and secure. They lie, have false hopes, trick and don't offer services as promised by their own salesperson. I feel I have been lied, embezzled and fraud. Please I urge customers out there in Texas and other areas to stay away from this company.

What they tell you is not true, their aim is to trick you sign contract. Once things or when you experience difficulties, they are arrogant, rude and have very poor customer services. The salesmen came and told me that I will only sign for two years which was a lie. Why lie??? The sensors don't work. They cannot send a tech to come and fix the problems I experience thus causing my family safety anxiety, sometimes sleeplessness night. This is not the only complaint. I can attest that I have called them more than three times a week and nothing is resolved.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

On today 11/20/2017 I had an appointment for the Vivint tech to come out to check my alarm system. My appointment time was scheduled for 4 to 8. I called the 800 number at about 7:10 because no one had showed up yet. The guy that I talked to on the phone said my appointment had been canceled. He said that the tech had to leave my area. I became furious because I nor my husband canceled the appointment. I explained to the guy on the phone that our alarm is fault. Yesterday, we were unable to arm the house because it was showing three doors were open and they were not. The next day I was able to arm the house, however when I walked through the door then, I was able to walk all throughout the house for about ten minutes. The alarm never went off at all. That is crazy!

Now they are saying that it will be a week or so before they can come back out. The guy I talked to on the phone offered me a 75 dollar credit. That made me more upset because a credit is not a consolation for feeling unsafe in your own home with a faulty alarm system. Alarm systems are put in place to make people feel safe. Vivint has horrible customer service!!!! I am switching my alarm company!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Looking for a dream finding a nightmare should describe our experience. My husband was looking forward to enjoy and have a smart house, the same day after we signed the contract the technician showed up to install the system. In less than 3 minutes he drill through the wall on a wire causing half of my home without power. After a long weekend without lights nor outlets in half of the house I received the news that they won't pay for all the damage they caused. They pretend to pay just for that outlet he drilled through. Incompetence is an understatement. Save money and headache, take your business somewhere else.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

This is not a reputable company. I had reservations about signing a 60 month contract and boy do I hate it when I don’t listen to myself! System seemed to work well within my satisfaction guarantee period then went to **. The doorbell camera doesn’t work, ever. The app hardly works for AC adjustment but the sensors do work for break-ins, or trips at least. I had another property in another state 4 hours away. Sold the place. New owners didn’t want to pick up contract (which is way more expensive than the competitors). Can’t blame them. Vivint tells me that my $65 a month for crappy service won’t even get my equipment sent me. I would have to drive 4 hours to meet a "technician". He can install this "precision equipment" but can’t put it in a box and UPS it, COD?!? Now they’ll be getting me for $130 a month for the same “great” service. I hate that they got over on me. Don’t let it be you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Vivint placed a contract on my name and I never signed up to have an account. I'm not on the owner of the house and I never asked for a contract. They illegally placed a contract on my name without a signature or authorization. Then they sent me a bill, for a past due amount of $158.19 for three months of service. Again on a house I don't own and is not in my name, for something I never signed up for. And then said I had to send a written request with my driver's license pic to be taken off the contract. A contract I never signed up for to begin with and did not know about.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Well first off I wish the customer service here was as smart as the home system however to no avail. Alyson a supervisor with Vivint is a complete idiot and wasn't helpful AT ALL!!!! I have been a customer with them for years and they are continuously screwing up on the billing cycle. I am seriously thinking about leaving Vivint.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Prior to canceling the contract after almost 3 years, I would probably have rated this company a 4 - had security and fire monitoring and it was fine. However, when I canceled due to selling the house, I was told that my sales rep had lied when he told me I could cancel after 2 years with no penalty. I either had to get the new buyers to assume my contract, or I could buy out the remainder of my contract - with a 10% discount as an apparent attempt to make me feel better. Good companies do NOT behave this way! Google Fiber is the role model for the right way to treat customers in these circumstances! Vivint now ranks with Time Warner Cable in my list of companies I will NEVER do business with ever again, and I actively tell friends and family to do the same!! It is my bad for trusting the salesperson, but a quality company with a good product wouldn’t have salespeople that NEED to lie to get your business!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Vivint installed 4 cameras and the sales representative ensured me that they were the best cameras you could get. After several visits from technicians to fix the offline problem, I was told the cameras would not work with the system and I should have been told by the sales representative this before getting them. They offered to come get the cameras and they did. They came and removed all four and said I would be refunded for them. Problem solve right! WRONG!

I called about my refund and adjustment and I was told that the Vivint Representative and Technician should have never came out and taken the cameras. So I would not be refunded. They said they would bring the old cameras back and reinstall them even if they don't work, even though I have had this problem since day 1. I have only have the system for two months and the tech has been out since day 1. All I have ever wanted was a system that works and what I paid for. Not asking for anything free. I just want what I paid for. Is that too much to ask or is Vivint a con artist company that takes advantage of people???

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

We’ve had Vivint for a while and I’m happy with it. I have a glass break, a couple of sensors in the basement, and door locks. We’re just trying to be safe. I’ve had interactions with the sales reps a couple of times and I was okay with the service. The installation team was very good too. Overall, everything’s fine so far.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I’ve had Vivint for about two years now. We live in a neighborhood that has a high crime rate so we got them. The installation team was good and they installed what I wanted. I got a security lock for the front door and the doors and windows are all monitored. We also have control over our furnace, and we have a sensor that tells me if there’s something moving in the house. Their reps send a repair personnel when I need it and they’re on the phone when I need tech support. The system lets us know when the batteries are low, as well. Vivint may be the same as every other security company, but I’ve used other security companies for business, and this one is fine for our home. I’m quite satisfied with it.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

The equipment Vivint installed on an exterior door is failing. I've scheduled two times with Vivint to have a tech come repair the equipment, both times they didn't show up. The equipment was installed in 2 months ago. I've been on the phone with Vivint for 2hrs today trying to get this rectified. After 5 transfers I am finally talking with someone who cares and is trying to work with me. The first tech appointment cost me 4 hrs away from work - today I waited for two hours for someone to show up. I had to call Vivint both times - no one called me to cancel or reschedule. This is an expensive system. I do not recommend using Vivint at all. Watch out - the door-to-door salesmen are high pressure - they have a great line when it comes to customer care - do not believe them.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I succumbed to the sales guy at my door selling a security system. I had been thinking about it for some time and really needed a video doorbell so I was an easy sale. The sales guy was very nice and knowledgeable. I decided to try it out for the 3 day trial. I have to give credit to Vivint for creating such an amazing product. I liked everything about their system. The app, the panel, the thermostat, the doorbell, and the door sensors inside the door frame - all seem to be of exceptional quality. Their app and panel are super nice. I did cancel the following day after install and followed their procedures to the letter. I did use the system for approx 4-5 days awaiting them to uninstall it and I am still very impressed with it.

I canceled because the equipment price is entirely too much. I could not justify spending $2000 on equipment and being locked into a 5 year contract. 5 years! Wow! 5 years! Stuck. In. A. Contract. 5 years! Trapped. $2000 in equipment! Wow! No matter how nice it is, I just can't do it! I read the reviews about Vivint and realized that there are no "outs" with them. 5 year contract means 5 years. Anything could happen within in 5 years - I may become ill, lose a job, move overseas, etc.

Not only that, the way technology is changing, I just didn't see spending $2k on something that could be completely evolved in the next 5 years. I ended up going with a system with another provider. The equipment and app are not as nice but the functionality is sufficient for what I need. The doorbell camera is just as good as Vivint's. I ended up spending less than $300 for equipment and a 3 year contract with the termination fee significantly less than Vivint's. If something happens, I can afford to cancel. With Vivint, I could not. I like Vivint's equipment but not their business model and pricing.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I would give zero stars if possible. 7/10/17 Two salesmen from Vivint Smart Home came thru my neighborhood soliciting people to buy their products and services. They told homeowners they were endorsed by the HOA board. So many homeowners called me as I am a board member to ask if this was true and were very upset. I sent emails and text messages to all the homeowners I could reach to let them know these men were lying. What a horrible way to do business. So unethical. When they came to my door I called them on their lie and asked them to leave my property. I got the below image from my neighbor.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Vivint's salesman came to our door and explained everything about their system. He was patient and answered every question. We got a system that includes a motion detector, two outside cameras and a doorbell camera. The installation team was very friendly and professional. Since the installation, we've been very satisfied and I'm really happy I got the system. I like that I have cameras inside and outside that I can look through on my cellphone to see my kids. I can also talk to my kids using the system. I've recommended Vivint to my friends who are looking to have a home security system as well.

Original review: June 28, 2017

We needed an alarm system because my husband is a truck driver and me and my daughter are at home all the time. Vivint's salesperson came to our house one morning and told us about their product. My husband told him to come back again in the afternoon so that I would be there. He came back and went over everything really well. I needed a doorbell camera because I don't have a peephole. There's no way I can look and see who's at my house unless I go to my kitchen window which is in front. We got the service package that has the doorbell camera, a sensor that detects when glass breaks, an alarm system and cameras that we could see from on our phone.

The guy who installed the system was really nice. He told us how to put our code in and how to set the system on our phone. He also showed us how to set the system on the wall panel and how to set it again if we leave. Furthermore, he taught us how to lock and unlock the door with the system. Overall, Vivint is great and I'd recommend them to anybody.

Original review: June 25, 2017

Hard sell, used car salesmen hustle filled with lies and deceit. Be careful... Read all the print. They charged my credit card without my permission. I could not get customer service on the phone for 2 days. Then I get a supervisor named Taylor, she was an idiot and said she was not sure she would refund the unauthorized charged. I am still waiting. Absolutely disgusting... This company should be illegal. Run while you still can. Gross...

Original review: June 13, 2017

Just don't get this service... You can't get out of the contract without paying 2k plus... They convinced a BLIND person to get VIDEO camera for the front door... I call and say that your system is not working correctly, and they want ME to fix it by phone... I just not happy with this service at all. Oh and the only way to get rid of the service is for YOU to sell it to someone else or have them pick up your account... PONZI SCAM!!!

Original review: May 25, 2017

There was a lot of break-ins and things happening and we're only at our place six months of the year, so we ended up getting a security system. We have Vivint's fire detection, smoke detector, as well as the automated thermostats for the furnace. I check them frequently on my phone as I can call it up and always see. The equipment is good and we're very satisfied. Also, the reps have always been able to handle and resolve things quite well when we've had problems, like when there have been some sensors that needed to be changed out.

Original review: May 21, 2017

We've been Vivint members for eight years or so. Vivint was new to the city then and a good whole bunch of representatives was going door to door. They happened to knock on our door right around the time when we've had a mishap with someone intruding in our property. We have dogs but we decided to get an alarm system and they were the right people at the right time and we've never really been unhappy with the service.

One of the things I like about Vivint is they're very approachable. I'd call one number then I talk to somebody and explain my situation. They're always talking to me in English and they're very easy to understand. It's the kind where I give out a few passwords and we're good to go, not a whole bunch of push buttons. Once I had some issues and a serviceman came within a day. There are 2 servicemen who live in my community and I wowed when I asked if they could come another day and they agreed. Recently, we were doing home repairs including kitchen renovation and I had to disconnect our system because we had to cut the power for three days. The battery wore down so when we plugged it back in, it was giving me false alarms and then it took a while for the battery to charge. The serviceman came and he was nice enough to explain all that.

I also had an experience when my mother-in-law was watching the house for us and she got a little confused and couldn't remember the code when she opened the backdoor. They phoned me on my cell and I wasn't even in the same city. I gave my verbal password and they cleared the alarm. It was really perfect and I've been nothing but pleased with Vivint.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I love Vivint. I saw it in action and I fell in love with the product. Through cancer, I lost a leg and I'm susceptible to the bogeyman coming in and paying a visit. Patients like me have a home invasion problem. Someone came and banged on the door and tried to get in. Luckily, I have big dogs. But it made me realize how vulnerable I was and we needed the product badly in our home. It was a big need to automate our house at that time. So I called Vivint the next day and said, "What other tools do you have that I can arm myself with that we can put in place?" They were there the very next day with a panic button and some other things to make it safer for me. The company is so customer-focused that it just really worked out perfect for us. Any time I've had a really big need, they've been here to take care of it.

And they didn't charge me for the person to come out and install it. They just made it happen because it was in their best interest for me to feel safe in my house. It was absolutely the right thing to do and it gave me peace of mind. That's why Vivint is an awesome company to do business with. If they saw the need, they could hear the passion in my voice that I have a problem and they totally made me feel more comfortable in my home.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

I was a previous customer of Vivint for awhile and needed more security product for my home that met my budget. At the time had to make decision to change companies because I was offered more in my package that Vivint couldn't match. I cancelled in November 2016 and was told to send letter of cancellation and would be billed additional month during cancellation process. They did not receive my letter by mail and I was billed Dec and Jan. Spoke to rep Jan. 10 about discrepancy and had to send another letter but was sent by fax. I was charged again for service in February and called to explain situation again. The representative said I deserved at least a one month refund but had to be transferred to their loyalty department for further assistance.

In that department I spoke to a manager named Uvra #** who would not listen to my issue in its entirety. He continuously cut me off while I was talking and bluntly said my account is now closed, he will not be refunding me anything and would not accommodate my request. I am very disappointed in his decision. The calls are monitored and recorded. If they would have followed up on my case they could clearly see where the issue progressed. Was with a different company since November and I was forced to pay them for three consecutive months of no service. Total ripoff!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

I ask anyone to please look at other options before signing up with them. They may say that people love it. But as you can see I posted my issue on their FB page and it was removed within 24hrs. Nor can I repost it. If this happened to me I'm pretty sure it has happened to many others. Some complaints have been left. But is only to show that they have addressed it. NOTHING IS FREE! They told me I had to pay $4,000 in order to cancel my service. To me it is theft having to make someone pay for something that doesn't work. This company is making their money from unsatisfied customers and I believe it should be stopped.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

My experience with Vivint began in late May of 2016, and the service was cancelled on June 1, 2016. However, I still suffer with its lingering effects. They sent two young salesmen to my door to hawk their wares. Not long after inviting them in, I was in a high-pressure sales pitch with the two men and a woman on speaker phone. I signed a contract and accepted their offer of a free trial of the system. Before I could think or do any research about the company, the installation technician was at my door. He drilled holes everywhere to install their products. He was in my home for hours. After having it for only a short time, the camera for the door quit working (the same camera that alerted me every evening that someone was at the door, my tree).

By performing a basic google search of "Vivint reviews", I found countless negative reviews online. I suspect this is why the technician shows up so fast. I decided to cancel the contract within the ten day grace period. When I called the salesman who sold me the system, he answered the phone sounding as if I woke him up. This was in the afternoon. All he said was "Okay." I had a bad feeling that it wasn't over. After some digging, I saw that I must provide a written Notice of Cancellation to cancel. The Notice of Cancellation needed to have the date, service number, a written note expressing desire to cancel, and a valid signature. The salesman failed to mention any of this when I called. If I hadn't done that, I would've been locked into the contract.

When they removed their system, they didn't hook up my previous doorbell or thermostat properly. I found out the thermostat wasn't hooked up on a day that I really needed the furnace. I ended up sleeping in my toque that night. Today I have a doorbell that doesn't ring, holes in my walls, windows, and doors, and a bill from an electrician for $150.

Original review: July 26, 2016

Not only could they not install what they sold me, they removed the front of my thermostat and now I cannot control the A/C. The thermostat does not work. 2 days for me with customer support and a half day with their own tech who could not get help.

Original review: July 26, 2016

These guys are bullies. Had one show up at my house at 9:15 pm 7/25/2016 and pretty much forced their way into my house. Guy was extremely pushy and would not take no for answer. Tried to guilt me into buying by saying if I loved my animals I would buy this system. Kept high fiving me and hubby and me like we invited him in to hang out. Not happy and frankly I felt slightly threatened. I am calling other home security systems company to get comparison and go with one of those guys.

Vivint Home Automation expert review by Lisa Montgomery

Vivint is a company founded in 1999 that offers security and automation solutions. The company's corporate headquarters are located in Provo, Utah.

• Community service endeavors: In addition to equipping customers with home automation systems, Vivint has a community focus, called Vivint Gives Back, doing good for the surrounding community including a fundraising drive for children with Angelman Syndrome.

• Eco focus: Vivint is a company dedicated to helping the environment, and it offers customers ways to cut back on their energy use. The company also has a division called Vivant Solar, which offers customers the opportunity to create solar-powered homes.

• Affordable options: Vivint is known for offering some of the most affordable home automation options available with services starting at only $70 per month.

• Motion-activated video feature: Vivint's home monitoring system offers a unique motion-activated video, which means customers can see what their pets are doing at home.

• Special services for military families: Vivint offers special services for military families, including benefits and special contracts for families of deployed military members.

• Best for: Owners of both luxury and mid-scale residences, elderly homeowners and homeowners with young children.

Profile picture of Lisa Montgomery
    Lisa Montgomery

Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Vivint Home Automation Company Information

1999
    4931 North 300 West
    Provo
    UT
    www.vivint.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use