Vivint Home Automation

Compare Home Automation Systems

Research top Home Automation Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Vivint installed 4 cameras and the sales representative ensured me that they were the best cameras you could get. After several visits from technicians to fix the offline problem, I was told the cameras would not work with the system and I should have been told by the sales representative this before getting them. They offered to come get the cameras and they did. They came and removed all four and said I would be refunded for them. Problem solve right! WRONG!

I called about my refund and adjustment and I was told that the Vivint Representative and Technician should have never came out and taken the cameras. So I would not be refunded. They said they would bring the old cameras back and reinstall them even if they don't work, even though I have had this problem since day 1. I have only have the system for two months and the tech has been out since day 1. All I have ever wanted was a system that works and what I paid for. Not asking for anything free. I just want what I paid for. Is that too much to ask or is Vivint a con artist company that takes advantage of people???

We’ve had Vivint for a while and I’m happy with it. I have a glass break, a couple of sensors in the basement, and door locks. We’re just trying to be safe. I’ve had interactions with the sales reps a couple of times and I was okay with the service. The installation team was very good too. Overall, everything’s fine so far.

I’ve had Vivint for about two years now. We live in a neighborhood that has a high crime rate so we got them. The installation team was good and they installed what I wanted. I got a security lock for the front door and the doors and windows are all monitored. We also have control over our furnace, and we have a sensor that tells me if there’s something moving in the house. Their reps send a repair personnel when I need it and they’re on the phone when I need tech support. The system lets us know when the batteries are low, as well. Vivint may be the same as every other security company, but I’ve used other security companies for business, and this one is fine for our home. I’m quite satisfied with it.

The equipment Vivint installed on an exterior door is failing. I've scheduled two times with Vivint to have a tech come repair the equipment, both times they didn't show up. The equipment was installed in 2 months ago. I've been on the phone with Vivint for 2hrs today trying to get this rectified. After 5 transfers I am finally talking with someone who cares and is trying to work with me. The first tech appointment cost me 4 hrs away from work - today I waited for two hours for someone to show up. I had to call Vivint both times - no one called me to cancel or reschedule. This is an expensive system. I do not recommend using Vivint at all. Watch out - the door-to-door salesmen are high pressure - they have a great line when it comes to customer care - do not believe them.

I succumbed to the sales guy at my door selling a security system. I had been thinking about it for some time and really needed a video doorbell so I was an easy sale. The sales guy was very nice and knowledgeable. I decided to try it out for the 3 day trial. I have to give credit to Vivint for creating such an amazing product. I liked everything about their system. The app, the panel, the thermostat, the doorbell, and the door sensors inside the door frame - all seem to be of exceptional quality. Their app and panel are super nice. I did cancel the following day after install and followed their procedures to the letter. I did use the system for approx 4-5 days awaiting them to uninstall it and I am still very impressed with it.

I canceled because the equipment price is entirely too much. I could not justify spending $2000 on equipment and being locked into a 5 year contract. 5 years! Wow! 5 years! Stuck. In. A. Contract. 5 years! Trapped. $2000 in equipment! Wow! No matter how nice it is, I just can't do it! I read the reviews about Vivint and realized that there are no "outs" with them. 5 year contract means 5 years. Anything could happen within in 5 years - I may become ill, lose a job, move overseas, etc.

Not only that, the way technology is changing, I just didn't see spending $2k on something that could be completely evolved in the next 5 years. I ended up going with a system with another provider. The equipment and app are not as nice but the functionality is sufficient for what I need. The doorbell camera is just as good as Vivint's. I ended up spending less than $300 for equipment and a 3 year contract with the termination fee significantly less than Vivint's. If something happens, I can afford to cancel. With Vivint, I could not. I like Vivint's equipment but not their business model and pricing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Home Automation?

I would give zero stars if possible. 7/10/17 Two salesmen from Vivint Smart Home came thru my neighborhood soliciting people to buy their products and services. They told homeowners they were endorsed by the HOA board. So many homeowners called me as I am a board member to ask if this was true and were very upset. I sent emails and text messages to all the homeowners I could reach to let them know these men were lying. What a horrible way to do business. So unethical. When they came to my door I called them on their lie and asked them to leave my property. I got the below image from my neighbor.

Vivint's salesman came to our door and explained everything about their system. He was patient and answered every question. We got a system that includes a motion detector, two outside cameras and a doorbell camera. The installation team was very friendly and professional. Since the installation, we've been very satisfied and I'm really happy I got the system. I like that I have cameras inside and outside that I can look through on my cellphone to see my kids. I can also talk to my kids using the system. I've recommended Vivint to my friends who are looking to have a home security system as well.

We needed an alarm system because my husband is a truck driver and me and my daughter are at home all the time. Vivint's salesperson came to our house one morning and told us about their product. My husband told him to come back again in the afternoon so that I would be there. He came back and went over everything really well. I needed a doorbell camera because I don't have a peephole. There's no way I can look and see who's at my house unless I go to my kitchen window which is in front. We got the service package that has the doorbell camera, a sensor that detects when glass breaks, an alarm system and cameras that we could see from on our phone.

The guy who installed the system was really nice. He told us how to put our code in and how to set the system on our phone. He also showed us how to set the system on the wall panel and how to set it again if we leave. Furthermore, he taught us how to lock and unlock the door with the system. Overall, Vivint is great and I'd recommend them to anybody.

Hard sell, used car salesmen hustle filled with lies and deceit. Be careful... Read all the print. They charged my credit card without my permission. I could not get customer service on the phone for 2 days. Then I get a supervisor named Taylor, she was an idiot and said she was not sure she would refund the unauthorized charged. I am still waiting. Absolutely disgusting... This company should be illegal. Run while you still can. Gross...

Just don't get this service... You can't get out of the contract without paying 2k plus... They convinced a BLIND person to get VIDEO camera for the front door... I call and say that your system is not working correctly, and they want ME to fix it by phone... I just not happy with this service at all. Oh and the only way to get rid of the service is for YOU to sell it to someone else or have them pick up your account... PONZI SCAM!!!

There was a lot of break-ins and things happening and we're only at our place six months of the year, so we ended up getting a security system. We have Vivint's fire detection, smoke detector, as well as the automated thermostats for the furnace. I check them frequently on my phone as I can call it up and always see. The equipment is good and we're very satisfied. Also, the reps have always been able to handle and resolve things quite well when we've had problems, like when there have been some sensors that needed to be changed out.

We've been Vivint members for eight years or so. Vivint was new to the city then and a good whole bunch of representatives was going door to door. They happened to knock on our door right around the time when we've had a mishap with someone intruding in our property. We have dogs but we decided to get an alarm system and they were the right people at the right time and we've never really been unhappy with the service.

One of the things I like about Vivint is they're very approachable. I'd call one number then I talk to somebody and explain my situation. They're always talking to me in English and they're very easy to understand. It's the kind where I give out a few passwords and we're good to go, not a whole bunch of push buttons. Once I had some issues and a serviceman came within a day. There are 2 servicemen who live in my community and I wowed when I asked if they could come another day and they agreed. Recently, we were doing home repairs including kitchen renovation and I had to disconnect our system because we had to cut the power for three days. The battery wore down so when we plugged it back in, it was giving me false alarms and then it took a while for the battery to charge. The serviceman came and he was nice enough to explain all that.

I also had an experience when my mother-in-law was watching the house for us and she got a little confused and couldn't remember the code when she opened the backdoor. They phoned me on my cell and I wasn't even in the same city. I gave my verbal password and they cleared the alarm. It was really perfect and I've been nothing but pleased with Vivint.

I love Vivint. I saw it in action and I fell in love with the product. Through cancer, I lost a leg and I'm susceptible to the bogeyman coming in and paying a visit. Patients like me have a home invasion problem. Someone came and banged on the door and tried to get in. Luckily, I have big dogs. But it made me realize how vulnerable I was and we needed the product badly in our home. It was a big need to automate our house at that time. So I called Vivint the next day and said, "What other tools do you have that I can arm myself with that we can put in place?" They were there the very next day with a panic button and some other things to make it safer for me. The company is so customer-focused that it just really worked out perfect for us. Any time I've had a really big need, they've been here to take care of it.

And they didn't charge me for the person to come out and install it. They just made it happen because it was in their best interest for me to feel safe in my house. It was absolutely the right thing to do and it gave me peace of mind. That's why Vivint is an awesome company to do business with. If they saw the need, they could hear the passion in my voice that I have a problem and they totally made me feel more comfortable in my home.

I was a previous customer of Vivint for awhile and needed more security product for my home that met my budget. At the time had to make decision to change companies because I was offered more in my package that Vivint couldn't match. I cancelled in November 2016 and was told to send letter of cancellation and would be billed additional month during cancellation process. They did not receive my letter by mail and I was billed Dec and Jan. Spoke to rep Jan. 10 about discrepancy and had to send another letter but was sent by fax. I was charged again for service in February and called to explain situation again. The representative said I deserved at least a one month refund but had to be transferred to their loyalty department for further assistance.

In that department I spoke to a manager named Uvra #** who would not listen to my issue in its entirety. He continuously cut me off while I was talking and bluntly said my account is now closed, he will not be refunding me anything and would not accommodate my request. I am very disappointed in his decision. The calls are monitored and recorded. If they would have followed up on my case they could clearly see where the issue progressed. Was with a different company since November and I was forced to pay them for three consecutive months of no service. Total ripoff!

I ask anyone to please look at other options before signing up with them. They may say that people love it. But as you can see I posted my issue on their FB page and it was removed within 24hrs. Nor can I repost it. If this happened to me I'm pretty sure it has happened to many others. Some complaints have been left. But is only to show that they have addressed it. NOTHING IS FREE! They told me I had to pay $4,000 in order to cancel my service. To me it is theft having to make someone pay for something that doesn't work. This company is making their money from unsatisfied customers and I believe it should be stopped.

My experience with Vivint began in late May of 2016, and the service was cancelled on June 1, 2016. However, I still suffer with its lingering effects. They sent two young salesmen to my door to hawk their wares. Not long after inviting them in, I was in a high-pressure sales pitch with the two men and a woman on speaker phone. I signed a contract and accepted their offer of a free trial of the system. Before I could think or do any research about the company, the installation technician was at my door. He drilled holes everywhere to install their products. He was in my home for hours. After having it for only a short time, the camera for the door quit working (the same camera that alerted me every evening that someone was at the door, my tree).

By performing a basic google search of "Vivint reviews", I found countless negative reviews online. I suspect this is why the technician shows up so fast. I decided to cancel the contract within the ten day grace period. When I called the salesman who sold me the system, he answered the phone sounding as if I woke him up. This was in the afternoon. All he said was "Okay." I had a bad feeling that it wasn't over. After some digging, I saw that I must provide a written Notice of Cancellation to cancel. The Notice of Cancellation needed to have the date, service number, a written note expressing desire to cancel, and a valid signature. The salesman failed to mention any of this when I called. If I hadn't done that, I would've been locked into the contract.

When they removed their system, they didn't hook up my previous doorbell or thermostat properly. I found out the thermostat wasn't hooked up on a day that I really needed the furnace. I ended up sleeping in my toque that night. Today I have a doorbell that doesn't ring, holes in my walls, windows, and doors, and a bill from an electrician for $150.

Not only could they not install what they sold me, they removed the front of my thermostat and now I cannot control the A/C. The thermostat does not work. 2 days for me with customer support and a half day with their own tech who could not get help.

These guys are bullies. Had one show up at my house at 9:15 pm 7/25/2016 and pretty much forced their way into my house. Guy was extremely pushy and would not take no for answer. Tried to guilt me into buying by saying if I loved my animals I would buy this system. Kept high fiving me and hubby and me like we invited him in to hang out. Not happy and frankly I felt slightly threatened. I am calling other home security systems company to get comparison and go with one of those guys.

Salesman by the name of Kaden ** came into my home to tell me about Vivint's home smart system (June 23, 2016). I didn't qualify to have the system so he asked for the birthday of a friend to see if their birthday qualify - it did! I don't know how but my friend's name ended up on my contract for the system. Mr. ** told me that if I had any concerns, to call him. I did that on day 1 after reading the contract. I tried to cancel the system within the 3 day period they allotted. I called Mr. ** over and over again - he did not respond. I tried to not go over Mr. **'s head and get him in trouble. After several attempts to reach Mr. **, I saw no other way but to go above him.

At this point, (June 28, 2016) I am over the cancellation period and they will not let me cancel the system. The system is okay but the sales portion is very misleading. I asked all the proper questions as it pertained to the system contract. Mr. ** lied about portions of the contract and its content. Very unhappy about this situation. I'd rather not deal with Vivint ever again.

After knocking on my door after 8 PM, employee performed his sales pitch and I kindly said "I'm sorry, we are not interested." He continued to press for information and then stated "all your neighbors are getting our security system, it'd be a shame if something happened to you." At that point, I told him to leave my property immediately. Would rather deal with the mob than these terrorists ever again.

DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!!! The salesman LIE and make FALSE promises that the company will NOT back up. If they say they will adjust your contract terms, again LIES, they will trick you into a 5-year contract and hold your CREDIT SCORE hostage if you do not pay. When I spoke with customer service in the customer loyalty department, I asked point blank "I need your company to follow through on the services your salesman stated were a part of my deal or I need out of my contract," her response ON A RECORDED LINE was "Well that's not going to happen."

Vivint "slammed" us and would not let us out of the contract when I brought it to their attention. The sales person completely lied and the company did nothing to make the situation right. He told us that Vivint bought our existing home security company and he needed to upgrade our equipment. Later we figured out that we were contracted with 2 companies.

Our panel began freezing with no indication after working great for 3 months. We found this out when our 7 year old walked through the door with the alarm showing set. Touch the keypad and no response. A tech comes out a week later after two weeks of lockups. He forces an update and the doorbell and camera no longer works and says it's updating. They never connect again so system still doesn't work. Call them again and we have to wait more than 3 weeks for an appointment. Tech arrives and use our doorbell but we never know because it doesn't work, it's the reason for him coming. He leaves a note and reschedules us for 4 weeks later. This has been ongoing for longer than the system has worked. I miss my old system that worked with no issue. I guarantee if wanted to buy a system they would be here within a day.

So I have been with Vivint for about 3 months now and everything was going great. I have the whole setup and I was in love with how protected they kept my family. Well 1 month after having the system things began to fail. The alarm would be set, and I would come home from work and open the door to nothing (usually verbalizes that you need to put in the pass code to un-arm the system before the alarm sounds). I walk up to the tablet with the front door wide open and it states that everything is "secure". I proceed to walk through the house to the back door and open it with no change in the "safety" status. Motions sensors not sensing anything...

So being that I understand electronics and software can have issues I chat with Vivint from work the next morning (No one available to talk to me at 8pm). Now I understand that the people we chat with have no control over the protocols, they are just doing their job. I am chatting and explaining my issue with a Miss Emily. Let her know we have noticed small issues for 2 months now. She wants to run a standard test (I get it, they have a dumb checklist on their desk for problems). Well let's skip the testing because A) I am not home right now and B) I have been experiencing this for 2 months and why do I need to test anything when it does not work in "Active" mode? The issues are all over, there is nothing to pinpoint. Either the panel is bad or every sensor and camera went bad... I think it's more likely something is wrong with the panel.

Anyway Miss Emily informs me she can send a Tech to check on the issue but it is going to cost me a $24.00 trip fee (that she so politely waived down to $24 because normally it's $49). Now I ask... how is this good customer service? I am unprotected and they are trying to squeeze more money out of me? I pay monthly for this "security" system and something goes wrong with it and now I have to pay their Tech's gas bill?

Keypad started acting up over a week ago. I called Vivint and they updated the software and rebooted the unit. The gentlemen I spoke with said if it doesn't fix the problem of the system arming and disarming itself to call back. The next day the same thing started happening so I called in. They walked me through calibrating the screen and updated it again. The technician said if that doesn't fix the problem to call back. The very next day it started doing the same thing. I called in and was told they were going to send someone out to look at it and they would be in contact with me in 24 hours.

Fast forward a couple days, I didn't hear anything from them so I decided to call in. The woman I spoke with said their scheduling system was down and gave me a month's credit since I will be missing a month of my alarm system (she told me it wouldn't be until the beginning of February before someone could get out here). She said that she would be in touch as soon as they had someone to come out. It's Thursday now and still haven't heard from them about anything.

I really appreciated they gave me the credit, but they wouldn't have if I wouldn't have complained about it. Now my house doesn't have a security system and I'm not here most of the time. I have a wife and a 12 month old son that are totally unprotected. VERY unhappy with the service of this company. At the time of the install, the salesman practically Rams it down your throat and everything is rainbows and unicorns until things fail. All I want them to do is let me out of the contract and let me get a local company. I will not pay another bill.

I called customer service the beginning of August. I asked for a deferment of service since I didn't have a income. They told me that they would give me a 3 month deferment. The lady was rude, didn't thank me for my service and hung up on me. The next day I filled out a questionnaire on my service I had received. I told them I was not pleased and their representative was rude. They took two payments out in September and one out for October. Leaving me in trouble with my bank. I asked them about it today. I was told it was because there was a disconnect on my call. Excuse me but if it was in fact a disconnect why wasn't a call returned. Why when I complained about the customer service, they should have done a follow up call. This is poor service. I won't be recommending this company. ADT was a much better service orientated company.

I made two appointments to have an alarm system installed in my townhome. First appointment tech never came and never called. Called company was given a lame excuse for no show and offered two months free service. Second appointment tech did call but told me he wasn't able to keep 8-11 a.m. install appointment because it was Saturday and he lived in the Bronx. Then went on to give me some very long story about how he had to get to the warehouse to get equipment then would have to try and get to me. Also said I should not have been given an early install time for Saturday. I requested to speak to a Supervisor but that never happened. I wasted a lot of time with this company. Who by the way took their first month's fee upfront!

I recently was approached by this guy somewhat around my same age. I had just bought my first home this year and spoke to my girlfriend about security. My initial thought was a local company that was cheaper than most. I won't name the company but I received nothing when they set me up. I was super disappointed but really didn't have the time to understand what was out there - it was my first home. Anyways, this guy came to my house with an offer I kinda felt was sketchy at first, like too good to be true kind of thing ha but I heard him out! Let's just say I'm ridiculously happy! You don't know what you don't know, and I received far more sensors that I would of had to pay extra for with this other company.

You get what you pay for and although Vivint is a lil higher priced, I got cameras, door locks, thermostats, something called a glass break, and a smoke detector that actually alerted the fire department! Turns out my cheapy one before didn't have the fire aspect even though it said it did. I don't know, I just am really happy with my experience about a month ago. I told the rep I'd do this because it is deserved, and even made him stay for dinner! I don't really write reviews lol but finally got around to doing it. I'm very happy! It's not just a few sensors - Vivint really takes it to the next level and actually explained what, how, and why things did what they did. I knew where my loopholes were and never did I get someone to walk through with such a presentation. I def recommend Vivint!!!

Expert Review

Lisa MontgomeryHome Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.    More about Lisa→

Vivint is a company founded in 1999 that offers security and automation solutions. The company's corporate headquarters are located in Provo, Utah.

• Community service endeavors: In addition to equipping customers with home automation systems, Vivint has a community focus, called Vivint Gives Back, doing good for the surrounding community including a fundraising drive for children with Angelman Syndrome.
  • Eco focus: Vivint is a company dedicated to helping the environment, and it offers customers ways to cut back on their energy use. The company also has a division called Vivant Solar, which offers customers the opportunity to create solar-powered homes.
  • Affordable options: Vivint is known for offering some of the most affordable home automation options available with services starting at only $70 per month.
  • Motion-activated video feature: Vivint's home monitoring system offers a unique motion-activated video, which means customers can see what their pets are doing at home.
  • Special services for military families: Vivint offers special services for military families, including benefits and special contracts for families of deployed military members.
  • Best for Owners of both luxury and mid-scale residences, elderly homeowners and homeowners with young children.

Compare Home Automation Systems