2. Homeowners
  3. Barbecue Grills

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.23/5

Vermont Castings Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vermont Castings?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vermont Castings?

Original review: April 27, 2020

I purchased a Vermont Castings VCS-423SSP gas grill (Model #: EVCS423SSPA). It was expensive--$1,700. From the beginning, nothing worked well. They were made in China, and while the materials were good (one of the main reasons I purchased it was because it used a better stainless steel than Weber now uses), the parts literally didn't fit together. I had to get a bunch of replacement parts from them just to assemble the whole thing.

The company was sold shortly after--I'm not even clear what company currently owns it. After that, parts like the ignitor quickly failed (with no replacement available). The propane hose is routed such that if you are not extremely careful, it will get burned by the grill burners. I had that happen to it shortly after getting it but thankfully caught it before it started a fire. After replacing that, I was always super careful whenever I connected the tank, to pull the hose as far away from the burners as was possible.

Recently, I was using the rotisserie, and when I went out to check on it, there were flames shooting out of the front of the grill. The entire propane hose after the regulator had been burned away (actually was on the ground, molten and still burning). I had to shield my arm and put it through the flames to turn off the propane tank before it exploded, as the flames were going right up against the tank. Other than a huge mess, I was thankful that far worse didn't happen--it could have easily taken out my whole house.

When I tried to get support (the thing is supposed to still be under a 10 year warranty), the US support site gave me a phone number that is not in operation and directed me to an online support form--which requires that I enter a Canadian province to continue. I had to just enter a false address to even submit my support request. Their response was that "in the case of flashback fires this is not something covered under a manufacture warranty." I am out a huge amount of money on this. I would strongly suggest staying away from this company for anything. Back in the day, I think it was a solid company that made good quality wood stoves in Vermont. But those days were clearly over more than a decade ago.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Our Vermont Castings barbecue worked ok for several years, but we had to replace the grills because the finish didn't hold up. Yesterday, as we had a roast on the rotisserie, the barbecue suddenly burst into flames! As our barbecue is hooked up to natural gas line from our house, and the barbecue was close to the house, I had a moment of panic before I called 911. I couldn't turn the gas off because the handle was behind the flaming barbecue.

The fire department arrived quickly and extinguished the fire... The knobs on the barbecue were melted and the whole thing was destroyed. The firemen did an initial investigation and later that day an investigative team arrived to confirm the actual cause of the fire. It was determined that the gas hose connecting to the barbecue under the grill, had begun to separate from the connector which of course allowed gas to escape from the hose and ignite flames. Our barbecue had been properly cleaned and maintained and the separation in the hose was the sole cause for the fire. Our recommendation would be NOT to buy a Vermont Casting barbecue. This incident could have had much worse consequences, including burning our home, or exploding and causing death.

Get buying tips about Barbecue Grills delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Paid 1900.00 plus $200 for gas hook up. Spit bends with small chicken. Turns out not to be stainless steel as the silver came off and showed black underneath. Next the starter quit after about one year. Next the internal structure that the gas tubes fit into began to disintegrate. The outside of the barbecue is perfect and looks great! Now I can't get the lights to work on the heater controls. Then this year noticed black paint dropping on my food and found under the hood that it was painted with a black paint that now is flicking off. Had to brush this to remove all the loose paint. Don't know how long that has been happening!! No help from store or Vermont. Just told to buy a new interior package for 300.00$ U.S. And be sure to paint the metal with black heat resistant paint!!?? Didn't do this. I replaced the spit myself with a stainless one. Very disappointed with something that I thought would last many years for that cost!!

Original review: March 27, 2018

Vermont Castings Gas Grill had great quality exterior and components, crappy interior. Firebox and Drip Tray disintegrated after only a few seasons of operation. Had those two items been produced of the same grade stainless steel as the exterior instead of that porcelain coated sheet metal this grills would last several lifetimes.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

WOW DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS SHAM COMPANY. We have had our LIFETIME warrantied Aspen since 1998 and the top cracked, called the dealer The Fireplace People in Berlin. They ordered it, agreed with me that they got it going, 2 weeks later they called back to tell me the Company that bought out Vermont Castings NO LONGER gives warranty replacements because of the year I bought it, WOW just WOW. Everyone I talked to on the phone there (I have recordings) was RUDE and one even HUNG up on me! This company is GARBAGE and nothing more! SCUMBAGS.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Expensive fireplace insert with no support. Got the runaround for 2 hours today, transferred calls etc. Told to talk to their "authorized repair center" but none of their centers will talk to me. The owner's manual is almost useless.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

My old Vermont Castings VM400XBP has provided faithful service for 15 years now. I got the notion to move up to a brand-new Traeger smoker/grill. What a mistake! I was so disappointed in the Traeger that I went back to my tired, careworn Vermont Castings grill. Feeling guilty, I thought I'd write a nice review on the old girl. This is a propane model manufactured in 2002, gives excellent heat, lights easily, and has a carefree grill. I hope she will forgive me for (almost) giving her up for another grill. I learned my lesson: A new grill isn't necessarily better! A high quality old grill like my Vermont Castings will probably outlive many of its owners!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

It's very efficient. It's easy to use. It's compatible, its works. I have not had any problems out if it. I will recommend it to everyone that I know. Everything worked perfectly. It doesn't rust. I like how durable it is. I like how it performs. I also like how it is was very inexpensive. It's nicely crafted. I think it's perfect. It's a perfect size. It's nice and sleek. I also like the wood finish on the handles. I love the color, I just think overall its perfectly created. It's sustainable, very durable. It's really sturdy, and very tough. I know that it will withstand the test of time. I look forward to not having to buy another grill for quite some time.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

Very satisfied with the grill. Easy assembly and worked very well. Easy to light and a great price. I recommend this product very highly. Very easy to use. The price of the grill is well worth it. Great quality. Will last awhile to get your monies worth. I highly recommend you to purchase one. This grill looks very modern. It will look good in your yard. You will look like a pro and impress your friends with this grill, they will want to own one too. You will get many years of happy satisfied grilling out of it. It cleans out very easy and holds up to many uses. Keep it covered when not in use.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

The performance is great. It's a brand I would tell everyone about and it's an excellent product. I am happy and I have no problems with it. The value was great, I can't get a low price anywhere else and there is nothing like it. I'm extremely happy with it and I highly recommend to anyone. The appearance is so nice. I love the color, how it look and the shape of it. I would highly recommend it to all my friends and family. It's very durable and there is nothing like it. I would recommend the product it to all my friends and family all over the world and no one else beats it.

Vermont Castings Company Information