2. Homeowners

Find deals on a new lawn mower

Shop and compare today on Cub Cadet

Visit Website

Troy-Bilt Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I bought the Troy Built 42" riding mower/garden tractor in 2018. It cuts well, has held up to almost 3 seasons so far and with the exception of needing to buy a new battery after season 1 it has done what I expected it to do. This is only used for the front yard, because I bush hog most of the rest of the 10 acres we own.

Good:
It cuts well if grass isn't terribly long.
Starts right up.
Has very good safety features.

Price was phenomenal.

Not so great:
I realize it is a yard tractor, but if the turf tires even see a small drop of water it will get stuck.
Fuel tank should be twice the current size so you can finish a decent sice yard on one tank.
The engine probable needs an extra horse or two.

And finally, some of the safety items really need to be reconsidered i.e., why can't you mow in reverse gear?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I'm a woman and never had a riding lawn mower but as I get older because of the size of my yard, I knew I needed some help. I was a little afraid at first but it was not bad at all and easy to handle. Greatly grateful I made the choice for the purchase.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I ride this twice a week on my lawn and then my elderly neighbors. Perfect cut every time, with an excellent turn radius. Pros: cranks right up, easy to drop the deck while under power, light on the gas to slow down & responds to a heavy throttle when needed. Stores with ease and can add a battery tender with a pigtail to plug & play during the winter months. Wheels perfectly sized. Cuts grass! Priced right for its use. Cons: Not a mulcher, deck should be at a 4 during the summer months. Never drop the deck to #1. Not hydraulic and must be in forward gear when you drop the deck or it will stall in reverse. Does not have a hitch nor a plow connector.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Troy Bilt is a well planned well built lawnmower. This lawn mower is tough and dependable. Each time I get out on my lawnmower and Cut my grass, it’s something you wanna look forward to. It’s easy to Craig and for two years now I’ve never had to do anything but change oil, put a little air in the tires and let her go!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I like my Troy-Bilt because it is built stronger than cheaper models. Specifically the front components used to turn the wheels. It starts up easily and has a plug that makes changing the oil quicker and easier. There is still some aspects they could improve though. The seat springs are too firm for lighter people and the button used to keep the blade spinning when you go in reverse sometimes turns off on its own.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I have had this Troy-Bilt riding mower for a little over a year. In the spring before mowing season. I took the mower in to have it maintenance, oil changed, blades sharpened etc. in July the motor started smoking. Took it into the shop that maintenance it in the spring. Troy-Bilt is refusing to honor their warranty. I will recommend this company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

It's an OK mower for the price... Cheaply made but fairly durable... Optional items like baggers are overpriced without a reduced price when purchased with mower. As noted, price makes them popular with home owners not wanting to make a major investment in lawn care.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I can use my zero radius to mow my place and I keep the 2 lots beside me mowed just for curb appeal. They are vacant. It would be a 2 day job without my mower. I can do it and be done in half a day. I wouldn't take for my machine.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

The model I am reviewing is the Pony. My basic needs are met with the mower. It has fairly comfortable seating and the controls are easily within reach. Not as quiet as other mowers.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Drive cable broke on my Mower. Ordered a new one on 7-12-2020. My card was charged on 7-25-2020. Contacted Troy Bilt and they stated that the part was on backorder until 8-26-2020. Checked back in today 8-17-2020 and was told by Hunter (probably a BOT) that it was now on backorder until 9-1-2020. This is a $15 part. I have since had to hire a lawn care company to take care of the cutting. An expense that I should not have to be dealing with. Ordered directly from the manufacturer and this is the response that I get from customer service. Worst customer service ever. They were quick to charge my card though. Never again!!!!

Troy-Bilt author review by ConsumerAffairs

Troy Bilt created an innovative rototiller design in 1937 and continues to create quality equipment.

• American built: Troy Bilt equipment is manufactured in the United States.

• Multi-speed: The multi-speed transmissions provide better control during the mowing process.

• Rear engine: Rear engine models offer a compact option for homeowners without a lot of equipment storage space.

• Steel frame: A steel frame adds to the strength and durability of the riding mowers.

• Financing: Troy Bilt offers financing for their riding mowers and equipment.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team