3.77/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Troy-Bilt Reviews

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I purchased the Troy Bilt 100 on yesterday morning around 10. It ran for 10 minutes and stopped working. The chord would no longer pull. I tried to YouTube and figure out the issue for over a hour before taking it back. Once there I was told it was a defective mower. So I upgraded to the 150. Got it home. It worked but my yards looked horrible. I purchased the mower to mulch the leaves. The mower did none of the sort. It simply pushed the leaves and "mulch" to the opposite side. Needless to say, after going to Home Depot 3 different times, spending over $300, and wasting over 6 hours of my life, my yard looks even worse than it did when I started. I still need a working mower that performs what it says it does, and will have to end up raking my yard anyway. Even the associate told me the brand is horrible. Next time I'll listen.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I have had a Troy-Bilt rototiller for 15 years and it has been great. Since I purchased the cultivator in June of 2018 I have had nothing but problems from day one. It has been in the shop more times than I have gotten to use it. Last time I called customer service they tried to make it sound like it was my fault for it not starting. They need to honor the warranty and when something is an obvious lemon reimburse the buyer. So for the 3 times I've used it it has cost me $144 each time and now I'm just suppose to be happy?????

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I purchased this model for the versatility of having one motor for multiple tools and the ease of not having to mix fuel. For the first year it worked perfectly. However the following year I was blowing some leaves when I stopped to take a break, the pull cord was hanging out of my motor. I pulled it slowly and it just fell out in my hand. It was broken internally. I took my machine in for warranty and they said the pull cord mechanism had snapped the crankshaft in half. The entire engine had to be replaced. The repair facility replaced the engine but now could not get it to run. So they replaced the engine again. This process took over 3 months and I was denied a full replacement.

After receiving my repaired equipment back, it ran ok, but was much harder to start and keep idling. This past summer it finally gave up and will not run. This Troy Bilt unit only lasted 4 years (3 seasons of use since it was purchased in October). Maybe that is expected for this low quality piece of equipment, but my expectation would be much longer and without so much service. My opinion is to spend a little more money and buy a quality piece that should last longer and start every time. (Hint-they make great chainsaws, their orange and made in Germany). For me this will be the first and last piece of equipment I buy from Troy Bilt.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

My big question is why do all the lawn mower companies follow suit. You have all begun rear bagging while making ** and sometimes no way to use a side bag or just mulch. The attachment to open up the side release of clippings while mowing is very very poor on almost every model and not just Troy-Bilt. I'll say this it started right up. I have used my new mower a couple times now and I do not like the way the rear bag is. I would prefer a model with no rear bag but they are very hard to find.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Lawn mower would not cut even at all. Took it back to Lowe's 2-3 times. Problem not solved. Lawn mower just sits in the yard. 1000 dollars wasted. Bought pressure washer last fall. Used 3 times and the next time we TRIED to use it wouldn't stay running, no wash product coming out. Took it back to Lowe's and they charged us 103$ to clean carbs. Troy Bilt products are to me are worthless. Never buy again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

We have had many problems with this riding mower since it was purchased. Today after using mower for a short time, turned mower off to go get a drink of water, came right back out to see the mower in flames. Quickly grabbed fire extinguisher to put it out. Had I not gone right back outside, it would have exploded as the gas tank is right next to motor. Or even worse it could have been back in the garage and would have burned down our home also. Mower is totally destroyed, be very careful if you have one and never never consider buying one! Very dangerous, could kill someone, burnt up quickly!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Took back to Lowe's to have repaired, 2 weeks later still there. I was to pay $69 for someone to pick it up from the store although I had purchase a warranty. I paid someone else to repair since it would take at least 6 weeks. There was a loud clicking noise but it worked, used it all of 2018. Early part of spring took it in to be repaired, warranty had just ended about a week. Also I pulled cable and it popped into. Had to replace and was told noise was because the Ready Start was sticking and kept engaging while I was cutting grass.

Couple of days after I got the lawnmower back. Of course it started and cut off, this time carburetor had to be replaced. Don't use that often because it's so HOT. 11 August 2019 I was cutting grass and it cut off again. This time the Drive Handle has to be replaced. What NEXT? Only had the lawnmower 2 years. It's only used a couple times a year. I have a Craftsman real cheap for around 14 years, very old but it still works. This TB360 is trash, please don't waste your time or money. I have decided I always need a backup for this particular lawnmower. The place I purchased it from no longer stocks it. Wonder WHY?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Just the facts! I bought a 46” riding mower a yr ago. This is the middle of the second yr and it won’t go into gear. I bought a gas power blower the beginning of this yr, used it 3 times and won’t start. I’m paying now to have it fixed.

Original review: July 22, 2019

This is a second home I've owned in the last 3 years with my Troy-Bilt Super Bronco 50 in. Troy-Bilt recommended service center for me at both of our locations. In both instances, if service center was over 30 miles away. When your lawnmower is broke down and they have to come get it. It gets very expensive. When ordering parts from MTD Troy-Bilt. They're not in a big hurry getting them out to you. Troy-Bilt is not the name or machine I grew up with.

Original review: July 1, 2019

The chipper is too much load for the motor to start with a pull unless you are Hercules; have been unable to use. I can't chat with the company because they don't have a chat. Takes forever to wait to talk with somebody at the company because they "are experiencing an unusually heavy load of calls at this time" or words to that effect. I want to get rid of the unused chipper. W

A. **. Order # **, Dec. 2018.

Troy-Bilt expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Troy Bilt created an innovative rototiller design in 1937 and continues to create quality equipment.

• American built: Troy Bilt equipment is manufactured in the United States.

• Multi-speed: The multi-speed transmissions provide better control during the mowing process.

• Rear engine: Rear engine models offer a compact option for homeowners without a lot of equipment storage space.

• Steel frame: A steel frame adds to the strength and durability of the riding mowers.

• Financing: Troy Bilt offers financing for their riding mowers and equipment.

• Best for: Residential homeowners get a good combination of price and quality.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs