2. Homeowners

Find deals on a new lawn mower

Shop and compare today on Cub Cadet

Visit Website

Troy-Bilt Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Troy-Bilt?

Original review: June 1, 2020

Model TB230 - This is the most poorly designed self propelled lawnmower. My worst lawnmower purchase ever. It cannot pull the lawnmower thru the grass. It would probably work for someone who cuts grass every other day. I have it set on wheel setting #3. The self propel mechanism housing drags they the grass. Even worse if you want to cut lower. I practically have to push this thing around. Who needs a self propelled lawnmower that you have to push. Expensive machine that I'm not at all happy with.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I would strongly recommend that you not buy Troy-Bilt products directly from Troy-Bilt. Finding something as simple as your order status is impossible. Their chatbot says one thing and your online order status says another. The phone line is never open...just on hold... This time it's 39 minutes...nothing. If you want Troy-Bilt may I suggest finding a dealer who cares about customers.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I bought a new 196cc 4x4 lawnmower, Model 12A-N2M7563. It ran about 10 minutes before the rear wheel drive stopped working. This is a poorly made machine. Obviously the quality control is not there. No chat or support for this company. No service manual or parts catalog is available. The supplied manual has no service or repair information. A bad mannered lady at Troy-Bilt accused me of not putting oil in the motor. Oil was in the motor, and not relevant to the problem. I wanted to return the mower, but the firm does not do that. Warranty center is far away. Never buy this product. It's junk.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Most worthless piece of ** I have ever had the misfortune of owning. 4 cycle motor leaks oil out of the crankcase like a sieve, starter mechanism just quit working, and closest warranty station is 200 miles away! 3 year warranty is worthless if you have to spend a day to take it there, and a day to pick it up! Pure junk.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I purchased this tractor in the spring of 2018. It has been nothing but a headache. I use my regular push lawn mower or pay others. It is difficult to start and just doesn't run. Previously I owned a different kind of tractor that was easy to start, ran until the grass was completely cut. Loved it. Hate this Troy-Bilt Mini.

Original review: April 26, 2020

I done my research on the Troy-Bilt Super Bronco XP 50 inch cut. It's been a good one. The biggest problem is changing the belt. It takes two people. I got mine in July of 2017. Only got 58 hours on it. So far so good.

Original review: April 24, 2020

My John Deere riding mower finally gave out on me last year and I decided to buy a little cheaper which I did by purchasing a Troy Bilt riding mower. Bad mistake, this thing was a pile of junk from day one. Steering wheel was loose, reverse switch doesn't work, belts on deck won't engage without some help, transmission whines, mowing deck vibrates, bad battery and I could keep on. I will buy a zero turn Deere or something comparable, Beware. Don't buy Troy Bilt Products. The company shouldn't be allowed to do business. Would have given zero stars if possible. Warning!!!! Please Don't Purchase Troy Bilt Products. They are totally junk. Oh and please let me clarify. This was brand new mower!!!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

The deck does not have the strength and durability. The push Mower is 4 years old (look at the photos). We keep it in the garage. The warranty is for the wheels 30 days! The deck 2 years! The engine 3 years! We would have to think twice before copying from this company!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Updated on 04/28/2020: I wrote a review in January about how Troy-Bilt wouldn't listen when I told them I couldn't get my mower fixed by the local dealer. I said it had a "draw or dead short". The dealer accused me of sabotaging the mower so I could pay for repairs???? I finally called Home Depot and begged them to take it back. They took my mower to their repair facility and replaced the solenoid for free. It was a draw from a faulty part. Hmmm where have I heard that before. If it wasn't for Home Depot standing behind the product they sell this mower would never have been fixed! Troy-Bilt is not a company that stands behind their product. Please don't waste your money. P.S. this took almost 7 month to get this mower running. I had to buy a $350 junker to get me by. The junker still works fine! Home Depot also paid back half of the $300 I'd already paid because this was supposedly my fault. I think I'll review them next!

Original review: I purchased a Troybilt Bronco tractor and after a week it wouldn't start. I never even used it to mow! So I sent it to a service Troybilt service center. The only one within a hundred miles. They charged the battery witch I told them I had already done. They left it out overnight and It still started so they claimed it was my error. They then brought it back after charging me $111. Three weeks I tried to start it again and once more it's dead! The company wants to charge me a $60 pick up fee again to try to repair this mower that hasn't even been used. I called Troybilt and was talked down too and told it was standard procedure to charge. It has a dead short and came from the factory that way. Troybilt/Mtd doesn't stand behind their product. If I could give them a zero I would.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I purchased the Troy Bilt 100 on yesterday morning around 10. It ran for 10 minutes and stopped working. The chord would no longer pull. I tried to YouTube and figure out the issue for over a hour before taking it back. Once there I was told it was a defective mower. So I upgraded to the 150. Got it home. It worked but my yards looked horrible. I purchased the mower to mulch the leaves. The mower did none of the sort. It simply pushed the leaves and "mulch" to the opposite side. Needless to say, after going to Home Depot 3 different times, spending over $300, and wasting over 6 hours of my life, my yard looks even worse than it did when I started. I still need a working mower that performs what it says it does, and will have to end up raking my yard anyway. Even the associate told me the brand is horrible. Next time I'll listen.

Troy-Bilt author review by ConsumerAffairs

Troy Bilt created an innovative rototiller design in 1937 and continues to create quality equipment.

• American built: Troy Bilt equipment is manufactured in the United States.

• Multi-speed: The multi-speed transmissions provide better control during the mowing process.

• Rear engine: Rear engine models offer a compact option for homeowners without a lot of equipment storage space.

• Steel frame: A steel frame adds to the strength and durability of the riding mowers.

• Financing: Troy Bilt offers financing for their riding mowers and equipment.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team