Find an Air Conditioners partner

3. Air Conditioners

3.6/5 (269 ratings)
Find an Air Conditioners partner
Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Trane

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Trane Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trane?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I had a contractor installed a new furnace yesterday, went to Trane's website today to complete the registration, its website does not allow me to enter series number or model number. The registration page design is a piece of junk. So I called customer service instead, it is funny that the rep asked me to repeat my address, phone number, model number, serial number, email address ... everything 2 to 3 times. I spent ONE hour to complete the registration, it should take 5 minutes to do this online with other company's products.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

2 years ago when it was time to replace the 3 units that cool my house, my AC guy recommended Trane. Unfortunately, since I had a 17 year relationship with the company, I trusted their recommendation to replace with Trane. What a mistake. Dropped that company. On the evening of installation, I lost air conditioning to one section of my home. The leaking coil/ freon, etc.etc. as listed in many Trane complaints on the site. The issue happened time and again and after my nearly $20,000 investment, I went weeks without air. Now another unit is broken, something about a communication board replacement and parts that are not readily available. We are estimating a week or whenever.. to have air conditioning on my second floor. Please know I am in Florida and AC is very important.

When I put my system in 2 years ago, it was my hope that ongoing air conditioning issues would be minimized. Not with Trane products. I have had issues roughly every 3 months since I put them in. Today, I am debating ripping out all 3 units after 2 years and going with another brand, Carrier perhaps. I will look into any possible legal means to hold the company accountable. I don't have any hope that I will have any luck. I cannot continue to take time off of work to meet with my air conditioning service company to fix my Trane products. Also, I am a couple of thousand in on uncovered repairs. Given what I read in Trane reviews online and my own Trane experience. DO NOT BUY TRANE PRODUCTS!

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I was sold a Trane air conditioning unit after my old system (Ruud) of 21 yrs was just worn out. In the 18 months since the warranty expired, I have had to spend nearly as much on repairs as the unit cost to begin with. Both repairs were due to electric fan motor failures and costs were well over a thousand dollars each time.. Now the unit is 2 yrs out of warranty and developed a leak at the drain due to the drip pan in the bottom of the unit being completely rotted out.. And what makes matters worse is that when Island air conditioning in Delray Beach FL installed this unit, they didn't bother to connect the drainage system properly resulting in inside ceiling damage.. This company should be ashamed of unloading such GARBAGE on poor unsuspecting consumers!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I had my Trane XL90 furnace installed by a Trane authorized HVAC dealer many years ago. I bought it specifically because they had (still say they do) a lifetime guarantee on the heat exchanger. Something that I knew at the time was a weak point for many brands. Years later my furnace started to fail and I'm certain now that I was experiencing high levels of CO in my house. (damp windows) I attempted to patch/seal the holes at the end of the bottom of the heat exchangers. It is a cooler area of the heat exchanger and I imagine condensation was an issues that ultimately created holes and furnace ignition issues from the improper drafting of exhaust gases into my house. For almost two years, I tried to keep it working. I complained to the dealer more than once and they said to contact Trane. I did!

On SIX occasions, they basically denied having to do anything for me. They instructed me to contact the dealer and they could likely get me a $250 rebate off a new one. But these crooks know that this rebate is the same as what they were offering everyone. The heat exchanger came with a lifetime warranty, but labor was not included. They kept giving me the excuse that this heat exchanger was no longer available. True, but I bought a lifetime warranty, not a whenever the parts run out warranty. Typically a heat exchanger is an $800 to $900 part; however, they refused to compensate me or offer that amount as a rebate/credit off the new XL90 or a similar models. I ended up with a very nice and efficient Goodman. In talking to several other people about Goodman, they always seem to honor their warranties. TRANE WILL NOT! They are LIARS ! Nothing RUNS away from their warranty like a Trane!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Awful company with awful customer service. It's been 4 months without AC and they are impossible to get a hold of to get the piece to repair it. Then they tell you 3-4 weeks and after 4 weeks they tell you it's another 2 weeks to get the piece and to stop calling them. If you have problems with your AC expect them to fix it just in time for winter. It's a surprise they're still around with all these negative reviews.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Our unit isn't 2 years old yet and the coil is leaking. They have no idea when the warranty part will be in. We paid $554 to have them come out, they tried to fix it to hold it over until the parts came in but it lasted 24 hours. Now we have to pay for a part that isn't covered under the warranty. The slogan Nothing stops a Trane is true. A Trane stops a Trane HVAC. Very dissatisfied. We went with Trane thinking it would last longer and have no problems.

Original review: July 24, 2021

Trane is a joke. Manufacturing error about assembly of unit. Hoses rubbed together and now its Freon empty. Will never buy from this joke of a company ever again. Idiots is being polite! Idiots. Idiots. Idiots.

Original review: July 16, 2021

We installed a Trane Gas Furnace/AC system in 2014...when a capacitor needed replacement in a heat wave we found that they did not honor their 10 year warranty on parts. Their customer service and website is beyond bad! I wasted hours trying to get my warranty honored with no help from the national or local installer. I cannot recommend this disreputable company.

Original review: July 14, 2021

You can stop a Trane! I had two brand new Trane units installed into my home. Less than two years ago. One of them can’t be fixed. My HVAC guy came out about five times. He’s done everything from change valves to Freon to pulling vacuums etc. Trane won’t stand behind their products, their consumer relations department is useless. Three different people gave me three different responses on how they would or wouldn’t help me. Today a supervisor told me that all of the three people I spoke to are wrong and they can’t help me and won’t. My unit is new and it is installed properly. It doesn’t work! Garbage! Run!!!

Original review: July 5, 2021

I really like my Trane dealer. But… The dealer advised me that Trane is not the Trane of old. They have issues in quality and design. I need two new units and am considering Carrier or another brand. What is worse is that the customer service reps are terrible. One last comment. Before you spend a lot of money on a new HVAC system you should air seal your attic. Remove the insulation and seal every hole and joint where the drywall touches wood. Do not add insulation on top of existing insulation in a leaking attic. I spent an extra $2k to do this and replaced the cardboard rafter baffles with corrugated plastic ones from DCI. They are great and brown recluse spiders don’t like plastic. The result is that my cooling costs was reduced by at least 30%. The existing HVAC system now runs less and should help reduce the maintenance cost of a new system.

Trane author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dating back to 1910, Trane has a long history of innovation in the heating and cooling industry. One of their founders invented the convector radiator in 1923, and in 1938 the company introduced the industry’s first hermetic, centrifugal refrigeration machine. Today, homes and businesses alike rely on Trane’s proven track record as an innovative company that provides reliable, energy efficient heating and cooling year-round.

• Leader in green building technology: Trane custom designs green technology for businesses based on their building needs to ensure only the highest air quality for employees and their clients. Their systems are in some of the world’s finest and most popular buildings, including Toronto’s Skydome, Beijing’s World Trade Center complex and Washington D.C.’s Washington Monument.

• Leader in home air quality: Trane’s whole-house air filtration systems are proven to remove up to 99.8 percent of all air allergens and particles inside your home. In addition, the Trane website features a resource center for consumers to learn about air quality and figure out which products will benefit their particular situation.

• Specialization: Because they specialize in home air solutions, Trane is able to focus on the air solutions homes and businesses need. Their specialization has helped Trane achieve have over 1500 patents, making them a top innovator in the field of HVAC technology.

• Testing videos: Watch videos from the testing facility on the Trane website to see just how far the Trane Reliability Engineers are willing and able to take their products.

• Smart technology: Homeowners will appreciate the Nexia Home Intelligence when it’s connected with a Trane ComfortLink or ComfortLink II communicating control. This system allows homeowners to reduce their energy consumption by controlling their air conditioning systems remotely.

Trane Company Information