2. Homeowners
  3. Barbecue Grills

3.5/5 (43 ratings)

About Traeger Wood Fired Grills

Traeger Wood Fired Grills Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Traeger Wood Fired Grills?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Traeger Wood Fired Grills?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

As a word of caution, don't waste your hard earned money on a Traeger 850 Timberline unit. Used mine three times and the side of the main cooking drum blistered and burned off the black outer-coating. Contacted Traeger customer service and their recommendation was that I scrape off the blistered paint and re-coat the grill myself. This, after spending over $1,800 directly from Traeger on the unit, left me with the impression that this company builds an inferior product and definitely doesn't provide a viable warranty in support of their brand.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

9/6/2020 at 5:30pm. I started the Traeger via the smoke mode. As normal, after the smoke engaged I turned the temp to 450 degrees and closed the lid (preparing to cook steaks). A few minutes later I went to check the temp and noticed it displayed a temp in the 500's which I have never seen before. I quickly opened the lid and flames were fully engulfing the unit and rapidly increasing. Flames were at approximately 7' high just under the patio cover so my wife called 911. I then grabbed a towel to hold the side handle and pulled the Traeger out from under the patio and began dousing it with water from the garden hose. Fire dept arrived and checked the patio cover structure for any problems and determined we were "very lucky the house did not catch fire.".

9/7/2020. Called Traeger (1-800-TRAEGER) and spoke to David. Recapped yesterday’s incident and he said to email a description and include supporting pictures. I sent the email and pictures to supportverification@traegergrills.com. 9/8/2020 at 8:45am. Called Traeger and spoke to Charlise. I asked if she had received my email and she said yes, looking at it now. She then said she would review with her supervisor and put me on hold for 18 minutes. Charlene then came back to the phone and said “Since you are past the 3 year warranty there was nothing she could do for me.” I then asked to speak directly to the supervisor. She put me on hold for another 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes Charlise came back and put her supervisor (Nathaniel) on the line and she dropped. I asked Nathaniel if he has reviewed the pictures and supporting documentation and he confirmed he had. He said “Those pictures are scary”. I said yes, my house came very close to catching fire. Nathaniel then went on to say there is no coverage due to being past the 3 year warranty. I reiterated the fact that if my house had caught fire we would be having a different conversation. I am just looking for Traeger to back their product and help me get into a replacement Traeger. Nathaniel then said “Sorry nothing I can do”. I then said this is a horrible display of customer service and I am very disappointed. Call ended.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I purchased a Traeger Timberline 850. I spent $1800 for this grill thinking it was gonna be the best grill out there. What a WASTE of money! First of all, it is dangerous! I have owned it for about three months. I have tried to use it three times and every time it has literally caught on fire! I have spent hours on the phone multiple times with their customer service. The first time I called, the representative determined that it was some wires that have been turned around at the factory and had put in an email to upper management to try to have it replaced. I never heard back from him.

The second time I called the rep told me that after walking through several steps that everything was perfectly fine. So I tried to use it again and again. It caught on fire, ruining $100 worth of meat. So I’m gonna call again but I’m sure I’m just going to get more runaround. My next step is the BBB along with the attorney general and possibly a phone all to an attorney. So... Save yourself the hassle and go with another brand!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

My Tailgater has suffered numerous electronic and mechanical issues since purchase. Virtually every electronic part has been replaced. Most recently the Firerod has gone bad. To make matters worse, the part never arrived. When I called to verify status, I was told the part was returned to sender due to an incorrect address. When I asked them after this latest snafu, to replace all working parts of my grill, I was told no. This is neither the service nor workmanship I expected when I purchased my Traeger grill.

Original review: July 24, 2020

DO you know what is completely unacceptable? Your CUSTOMER SERVICE and PRODUCTS!!! Bought one back in APRIL. It was shipped dented and the lid wouldn't completely close, was promised a replacement barrel by MEMORIAL DAY but obviously that didn't happen either. Finally received my replace barrel and lid LAST WEEK and guess what IT IS DENTED!!!! Now just got off the phone with customer service and of course now they are BACK ORDERED ONCE AGAIN and my estimated date of shipping is SEPTEMBER!!! You know what completely sucks? Paying for and having a brand new grill that you can't use. Not to mention when I finally received my dented replacement last week I video chatted with customer service and she promised me they weren't backordered, once again a lie! Had to follow up today to find out about my estimated September date. Definitely will NEVER recommend your products to ANYONE after all this!!!

Original review: July 22, 2020

By far the worst experience I have ever had. It took me over 3 weeks to have our defective grill replaced. We were told 3 times a supervisor would call us back and no call. It took over 15 calls and 3-4 hours of hold time to finally get the grill exchanged. The guy was taking a little while during that process. I asked him "it's not on back order is it'? His response was, "No I am just setting everything up." This was on 7/11/2020. He told me it should ship in a few days. A week goes by and I called Traeger again. 7/18/2020. I told the lady I have not seen anything come through yet. She says to me "looking at it now and it will ship Wednesday". Great thanks. Monday they come to pick the old grill up without a text, call or email letting me know. OK well it's shipping Wednesday so that is OK.

Wednesday comes along and the first call I was on the phone for 55 minutes and got hung up on. Called back again and force them to put a "supervisor" on the phone. I explain him the situation he says it not in stock what can I do. They said it not in stock until August 9th. I say give me a different model or my money back. I said I would even take an Ironwood. He say, "That's really weird you are asking for a lower model." I said OK then give me the better model the 1600. He says, "I will have to call you back."

He calls me back and says, "We have 0 WiFi models," even though it shows on their website the bigger ironwood is available to purchase. He says, "I can not give you your money back either because the grill is used." OK so I have no grill and you won't give me my money back. It comes back in stock August 9th and originally it took 1 month to ship. So I have no grill and won't see one until the end of August or September. I will never buy from Traeger again and will not ever recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 17, 2020

Don't even think about purchasing this grill. The paint peels off after a short time. I have had to replace multiple components several times over the years. I just purchased a new controller a little over a year and half ago. This is only the fourth one I have had to replace. And now I need another one. Their representative said they do not warranty replacement parts. I asked "So you mean I could purchase a new controller and a month later it can stop working and you won't warranty it?" She said that is correct. This is the worst smoker/company in the world. From now on every time I go into Costco and see their salesperson trying to sell these lousy grills I am going to tell the shoppers to stay away. It is JUNK!

Original review: July 17, 2020

We purchased this smoker from Costco in August 2018. It worked well at first and then trouble began. About 18 months after we bought it two things started to happen. First, the temperature fluctuations were significant, so significant that we had to quit using it. When I reported the issue to Traeger, they informed us that there is no repair techs that we could use, rather they sent us a new thermometer for the interior, but that took about 30 days to get here. We did install it just about a week ago, and thus far it is working well after just one use, The installation took about 2 hours, the control panel is hard to deal with and we had to take a side plate off, that was not in the instructions so it was pretty frustrating.

Secondly and more concerning is the rust that is now occurring. We have never left the smoker uncovered, yet our entire access lid is rusted. I notified the company of this and they consider that normal wear and tear. They will deal with it if it is reported within a month of the purchase, but we are well beyond that now, so we are on our own with a rusted smoker.

Additionally, our meat probe stopped working after 12 months and I asked for a replacement. Almost a year later they did send it to us, not one, but two probes. In the meantime I had ordered one from Amazon and it works well, but it only came in packs of two, ironically I now have 4 probes when I had none at one point. Buyer beware, the quality of the unit is suspect at best.

Original review: July 8, 2020

My Traeger 1300 has rusted after 30 days the satisfaction guarantee is a farce and custom service is just not there. I have sent multiple pictures multiple FaceTime calls and all the info is lost or the hold calls get dropped. This is a poor product with poor business.

Original review: June 22, 2020

On the 4th cook, the unit could no longer control its temperature. It showed the goal temp was 250F but the actual temp it showed was 368F and dropping. When it got to 300F, it turned around and went back up. Customer service? There is none. No way to email and no answer on the phone during their listed business hours. Really $1200 for a smoker that works for only 3 cooks is a bit much. Didn't even finish up one bag of pellets before the thing became a (nice looking) boat anchor. I guess it's going back to ACE.

Traeger Wood Fired Grills Company Information