1.96/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 22, 2018

44 Traeger Wood Fired Grills Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

I've done briskets twice on my Traeger pellet grill and am completely satisfied on the results. The first time I did a single brisket for 15.5 hrs and it was perfect with no fuss. I just did two large briskets for an event that took over 16 hrs and they turned out completely well. Recommend this product without hesitation.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Traeger Pro Series 34 - Nowhere in the advertisements nor the website nor the owner's manual does it let the customer know that in order to prevent stall out's while cooking at low temperatures (250) that the hopper must be stirred every hour and a half or so to prevent gaps in the feed of the pellets. We lost a very nice cut of meat to this after having to get up in the middle of the night to check on the cooking at a temperature of 250 degrees (which had stalled again, leaving the grill and the meat cold). This is the second time using the grill.

Talked to customer service and they are very aware of the problem and told us what to do like we should be aware of it. How can you be aware of a known problem if it is kept a secret? This type of grilling is supposed to be what sets Traeger apart from all the other grills. Unfortunately, you're married to the grill, in fear of losing the heat, losing the meat, and losing your mind... We are extremely aggravated that this problem is not addressed and not re-designed to take care of the "well-known" problem.

Get expert buying tips about Barbecue Grills delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2018

The smoker does not hold temperature. I called the service dept and they sent a new controller card and it does not hold temp either. When I contacted the service dept they told me that the grills do not hold temp at the 225 degree setting. If you look at all the Traeger literature and cookbook and recipes all say to smoke at 225. As does every other smoking cookbook. So Traeger manufactures and sells a known defective product. DO NOT BUY TRAEGER.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I had to cancel my order today. I called this morning, however no one at their office could provide a satisfactory answer or response to my order. I actually was asked to provide a second copy of the invoice pink slip which I had already done so. Very disappointed with your company's sales rep that sold me the smoker at the Timnath Colorado store location. She guaranteed that the grill would be shipped out in three days and I would receive it before Easter, my daughter's birthday weekend for a party.

A week went by with no confirmation that I even ordered the unit from you guys. I called and was fortunate to speak with Jesse, I think he did his best in the matter however, today is over three weeks later (past the contract delivery grace period). So I called to speak with your sales office. And guess what? They had no update on my purchase. I was initially very excited to own one of your smokers. Now I will never know because my confidence in Traeger company is gone. I just hope my refund doesn't take over 3 weeks to go back into my checking account. If they can't figure out how to take and ship orders why would they be able to design anything worthy of purchase?

Original review: March 31, 2018

I purchased my first Traeger Grills over a year and a half ago and now I am on my third grill. I have had the most amazing experience grilling, smoking and baking. I do everything on my Traeger. It accurately holds the temperature, starts up automatically and has convection which cooks my food evenly and thoroughly. I recommend this grill to anybody who’s looking for a amazing cooking experience with little effort and really likes to show off to their friends how good their food tastes. My favorite part is being able to walk away from the grill and not have to babysit it so I can do overnight briskets without even checking them. I love it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Traeger Wood Fired Grills?

Original review: March 28, 2018

I spent over $1000 on Traeger Wood Pellet Grill. The wood pellets do NOT smell nothing like the certain wood it's supposed to be. Mesquite, Hickory, Oakwood pellets smell like not what it is... What is going on. It's a week brand new and I'd hate to return because of this.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had my Traeger grill now at least a week. Not really satisfied because every time I use it it does good for about a hour then it starts to cool down very quickly. Have to turn it off and start over and over again. This take all day to do this. I should not have to do this all day. Just a waste of pellets. Done wasted a whole bag of pellets. Called customer service. They tell me do the same thing. I think a grill should not do this. The meat I cook sometimes is not cooked. Have to start over again. All of this I have described take hrs. Have to stay outdoor to babysit. This grill should not have to do this. That tell me the grill is not good.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I ordered a thermostat for my Junior Elite grill because service said that was most likely the problem with my 4-year-old Traeger grill. I was promptly charged on my credit card. The order did not get to me and 2 weeks later, I emailed them. They said they would send out another thermometer. That thermometer has been making the rounds in 1/2 dozen post offices:

Dallas, TX, United States 03/18/2018 6:43 A.M. Package processed by post office. Houston, TX, United States 03/17/2018 4:30 A.M. Package returned to sender by post office due to incorrect address. Houston, TX, United States 03/13/2018 6:34 A.M. Received by the post office. 03/13/2018 5:41 A.M. Accepted by post office. North Houston, TX, United States 03/13/2018 2:32 A.M. Package processed by post office. North Houston, TX, United States 03/12/2018 6:21 P.M. Package processed by post office. Houston, TX, United States 03/10/2018 9:34 A.M. Package out for post office delivery. 03/10/2018 9:24 A.M. Package sorted by post office. 03/10/2018 7:46 A.M. Received by the post office. Houston, TX, United States 03/08/2018 8:00 P.M. Package transferred to post office. 03/08/2018 12:19 P.M. Electronic Shipment Information Received for Package by Post Office.

Carrollton, TX, United States 03/08/2018 11:46 A.M. Package departed UPS Mail Innovations facility en route to USPS for induction. 03/08/2018 10:27 A.M. Postage Paid/Ready for destination post office entry. 03/08/2018 8:25 A.M. Package received for sort by destination UPS Mail Innovations facility. Morrow, GA, United States 03/07/2018 4:08 A.M. Package transferred to destination UPS Mail Innovations facility. 03/07/2018 2:12 A.M. Package processed by UPS Mail Innovations origin facility. Morrow, GA, United States 03/06/2018 11:54 P.M. Package received for processing by UPS Mail Innovations. Lithia Springs, GA, United States 03/06/2018 7:04 P.M. Shipment tendered to UPS Mail Innovations. United States 03/02/2018 5:07 P.M. Shipment information received by UPS Mail Innovations.

So I emailed again. They said they would send it UPS. Today I find out, they mailed it to the wrong address... This has turned into a Kafkaesque nightmare. The supervisor said they would change the address- NO. Now they are sending out a 4th thermometer... If Amazon was this incompetent, they would never have made it.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I called Traeger to discuss their 10k Commercial smoker. The fellow who answered was polite but not helpful. He said, "You need to call our commercial division. They can answer any question you might have," and gave me the number. This is literally how the conversation went when phone was answered. Me: "Hello I was hoping to talk to someone there about your 10k commercial smoker." Him: "What state you live in?" Me: "Texas." Him: "We don't ship direct to Texas anymore, you will need to call one of our dealers." CLICK. So I am thankful I found out now as there is no way in hell I will spend 10k with Traegar.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I purchased a Traeger Select Elite from Costco for both my personal residence as well as for my vacation home. I am now on the third grill at my residence. Traeger will tell you that they expect to offer Awesome customer service. I have replaced the auger assembly, the controller and now the fan. I can't get the grill up to temperature. Awesome customer service says it should be no problem. Just replace the _______ (fill in the blank). I don't think these people have ever seen a grill let alone use one. Costco (love their return policy) is about to get another one back. Am I too harsh to expect the product to perform as they say it will? I would think when you pay as much as Traeger thinks their grills are worth, that they should work out of the box. Well, quality control under the new management has gone to hell. Then they expect you to "try" all the fixes that might work on your own. This is self service, not customer service.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Bought a Bronson after seeing grill at the state fair, through ACE Hardware. I had it exactly one week. The temp kept shutting down every time I used the grill (five times total). On the 7th day I attempted a slow smoke at 250 degrees. At three hours in the unit again went to ambient temp. I attempted to initiate the start up cycle as I had done the previous times, thinking the auger did not feed the fire pot for some reason. Confirmed the hopper was full. All seemed well so I put it back to temp and in about three minutes copious amounts of smoke poured out, the grill had a mini explosion due to the build up of pressure, and it caught on fire. After I got the fire put out (unplugged unit and then closed lid to limit oxygen), I was able to disassemble unit to find the fire pot spilling over with pellets.

After researching the issue, I see numerous reports of the same issue across models. Apparently this is a control issue. I am giving three stars because I have serious concerns about the safety of the unit. Also, it would take a minimum of an hour to disassemble in the middle of a cook to clean the grill out and restart! Reps have been helpful at Traeger and ACE is replacing unit for me to see if this resolves the issue. They will give a full refund if I am not satisfied. The food tastes great if you make it to completion. Love the concept. Hoping that the replacement will resolve issue. But beware. If you have a unit that is not holding temp and the hopper is full, return it immediately!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Purchased a Traeger Grill 3 months ago and when it was shipped to my house, a wheel was broken and hopper was dented. Contacted customer service and they sent me new parts. When I got the new parts, they came with no instructions. The wheel was pretty simple to figure out, but replacing the hopper I had to google to figure out how to remove.

The replacement hopper was different than the one I had, which required me to remove the power cord. Got it all replaced and was able to use it. Now the Traeger unit is just shutting off and when I contacted customer service again about a replacement unit, since the unit was only 3 months old and something internally may be damaged when it was shipped, I was told that Traeger’s warranty policy is replacement parts only that I have to install. I can’t believe a company like Traeger who is suppose to be one of the top companies would not stand behind their products and force consumers to fix faulty parts.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Worked great the first time I used it. Second time, it wouldn't heat up. Tried contacting Traeger and they mailed a part that didn't fix it, and they were no help after that. Got busy so it was a couple months before I went back to try to figure out a way to fix it myself, and found that the whole metal body had rusted through in several areas. It was winter, but the grill was covered, and I would expect grills to be made to keep outdoors. Ended up just throwing it away, so I spent over $700 to make grill burgers once. World's most expensive burger, and the biggest waste of money ever.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Worked well the first four or five times I used it. The first time I used it to smoke it caught on fire in the process. Was able to apply just enough water to put it out, cleaned everything and restarted and it was fine. The next time I used it, it caught on fire again during the smoking process. Was burning the pellets up through the hopper. Used Traeger pellets both times and it was clean when it was being used. Customer service guy was helpful but didn't sound at all surprised that it caught on fire so I'm assuming I wasn't his first phone call with that complaint.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I bought a grill, it didn't work, tried working with customer service for over 2 months, they lied and never followed up. These are cheap grills made with Chinese parts. Nothing worked. Look at the Yelp reviews before you buy. I wish I had!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My Traeger never reaches the temperature set on the dial. It did work for approximately a week. I contacted Traeger and they emailed a standard troubleshooting guide. Some of the suggestions are as follows: Are you using genuine Traeger pellets? Yes, at $19/bag. Are they in a dry area protected from humidity? No, they are in the hopper. What is ambient temperature? 75 degrees. Is the combustion chamber free of ashes? Yes. Is the fan running and auger turning at the required speed? Yes. So basically I have an expensive grill that isn't any better than the old propane one I had before that I have to religiously clean, and guess how long to cook something. Do not waste your money. I wish I wouldn't have wasted mine.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Cheap grill broken on arrival! This was broken when it arrived at my house. They make these things cheap and then force you to spend hours on the phone with customer service trying to fix on your own what’s wrong. This is a very disgusting way to do business.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I bought a Traeger at Costco. After the first 2 or 3 uses, it just shuts down after a period of anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. You get an error message where the temperature normally shows. Then you have to restart it. It brings the temperature of the food down and you have to start all over. I had this for a year and finally returned it to Costco for a refund. I would try to smoke a prime rib or ribs and end up having to check every 20 minutes or see if it turned off and I have to restart. Most of the time it did. I got sick of it and returned it and got a Green Mountain Daniel Boone smoker which has had none of these issues so far, although I just got it. The Daniel Boone seems way better built. For example, Daniel Boone has bolts holding the lid onto the smoker, where Traeger had some cheap screws. Daniel Boone has 4 wheels, Traeger had 2.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Traeger Century 22 (Costco) - Have had this grill for 6 months now, and have cooked about everything you can imagine on it. Have used about 160 lbs. of pellets so far. It is amazingly efficient with its pellets. Sitting here after preparing 2 turkeys for my family's Thanksgiving dinner, the BEST turkey I have ever had. I have no regrets about this smoker. It's amazing, I recommend to everyone! (P.S. I haven't turned on my oven since I got it.)

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Been using 3-4 days a week for 4 months and noticed my temp was running way too hot. Set to 225 running 330. Called they sent me new temperature probe, that took about 10 days to get which kind of sucked. Installed the probe and still had the problem so I called back and they said they would send out a new controller. I told them, "Awesome. Is there any way you can get here sooner than 10 days? I did not want to have my grill be down for 20 days when I was using it so much and enjoyed using it." The lady I spoke with said she would talk to her manager either later then talk to that manager and she said the shipping was what it was and could not be changed.

I was feeling kind of frustrated at that point and explain to her, "I’ve spent a good amount of money with you guys in the last four months. Is there anything that we can do?" She said she would look into something and call me back. She found a store in my town but I buy my pellets at that had a controller in stock and talked to them. She then told me to go over there and pick up that controller and they would send them new one. This was a great solution in my opinion because I got my controller today instead of having to wait 10 days. They far exceeded my expectations with this and I am really appreciative for them doing that. Hopefully the new controller fixes the problem and I’ll be up and running soon!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Traeger pellet stove - Used twice, was awesome. Third time no ignition. Traeger said they would send me parts and wish me luck. Cost per use at $375 is a bit high for me. Took it back to Costco. Thank God for Costco! Reading reviews when they work they're great but when they don't tuff luck!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I’ve owned my Traeger for four months. When it works, the food is excellent. However, 50% of the time the unit fails. I’ve spent hours on the phone and I have numerous case numbers with tech support. I’ve replaced the controller, the RTD, been instructed on a different start up procedure and laid on my back to check the fan. I had hoped for a set it and forget it unit. One recommendation was to stir the pellets every 30 minutes. Hardly what I’d hoped for. When the fire fails at 225-250 after 3 hours, I’m forced to remove the brisket, cool down the unit, vacuum out the fire pit full of pellets and restart. I finally returned it to my dealer. This is not his problem and he’s been very accommodating. If I have a defective Pro 22, what’s so hard about sending me a replacement? I am not spending any more time being a Traeger Pro 22 mechanic. I’ll update when this is resolved.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Just bought to grill. (It's not a smoker. It's a grill.) First time use it worked pretty good. The next time I tried to use it I had all kinds of problems. It would work for a few minutes then just shut-off. I called customer service and was told I need to clean the fire box. I cleaned the fire box which didn't have many ashes at all. Cranked it back up and the real fun started. Set the temp at 225. The temp went crazy. It would go up to 375 then back down to 110 a few times then just shut off!!

I took it apart, checked to fire box and all was well. I turned it back on and got the same results. I called to service center again but won't go into the BS they told me. The one thing the rep told me was I needed to constantly check to make sure the pellets were being fed correctly. One of the selling points was I could put my food on and just let it cook for hours without having the continually check it. If I have to do that I just as well continue to use my old smoker. In the end the person told me maybe I should look at another brand of smoker (grill). I returned this POS and got my money back.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have 2 Traeger grills and have been a loyal fan until recently. Most parts are available through 3 party vendors so availability has never been an issue except for this nylon bushing that attaches to the auger. First time I have had to call Traeger in the 12 years I have owned them. So I called and ordered the bushing and the set screw since that was sheared off when the bushing melted and failed over 7 weeks ago.

After 4 calls and promises that the bushing is "in" and will be shipped tomorrow (that was 3 weeks ago) I still have not received anything other than the set screw that sheared off. A shame since I have been a fan and have had many family members and friends that have also bought this product. Loyalty ends with the many broken promises and still no part after 7 weeks. I was OK with it being back ordered but was never informed until I called and was also told I would get a tracking number when it was shipped, never got that either. Tired of calling receiving information but never getting the part that I paid for and never received.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I bought a Traeger smoker. I've used it twice. Both times it just stopped working. Traeger policy is not to give refunds. The nearest repair company is 3 hours away and they won't provide service in my area. Their solution is for me to essentially disassemble the smoker every time it fails, about every two hours and vacuum out the burner. They said they would send me replacement parts and I could install them but they don't believe the parts they suggested would solve the problem.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have owned a Traeger Model: BBQ 075 for several years and I enjoy cooking on it. The temperature controls are a little sensitive and I have had to call tech support to correct them but all in all I've enjoyed the unit with one exception. A couple of times during storms the lightning turned the unit on, even though the controls were in the off position. This concerned me and I communicated it to a Traeger rep who was at our local Costco. He didn't seem concerned and simply said I should unplug it, dah. I do try to keep it unplugged when not in use, but sometimes I forget.

Yesterday our electricity went off for a while. An hour or so after it came on I went outside and heard the unit running. The control switch was off but the unit was hot and running. I thought the company should know so I called them to report the malfunction. I was told the control must be malfunctioning but my unit was out of warranty, however they would be glad to sell me a new one. The control unit works fine except it turns on when it shouldn't which I believe is a faulty design or product. I believe this could be a serious issue and cause real problems eventually.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Easiest and best grill to use. Just throw whatever you cook on there and walk away. The taste is second to none. I do everything on there and use it everyday. And I am not anywhere near being a cook. Would recommend to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Bought the grill from Costco. Used it two months. All the sudden the temperature controller goes out. They send me a new one then the auger motor is turning backwards. They send me a new one. Now won't hold temperature. It goes straight to high temperature all the time. It's going back to Costco. I'm going to buy me a Rec Tec.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

The PTG uses the same technology as larger (sic more expensive) models. After initial start-up procedure completed according to instructions, I tried to smoke ribs on four occasions over three separate days, calling tech support 2-3 times each day. What a waste of time and money! Temp regulation just doesn't work. Numerous suggestions from tech support were ineffectual. The problem: When set on "smoke" the temp is either 400+ or the flame is going out. Finally, tech support told me it wasn't designed to work in humid environments (like Michigan???). Traeger won't take it back. I've got a $300 (flammable) paper weight. Glad I didn't buy a more expensive model from this manufacturer!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

When we first got the Traeger, the set up was already done for us. The design and structure along with the material used to build it was what made us decide to purchase our Traeger. Also, we had heard if followed properly the recipes turn out as planned. We have thrown many large parties through the holidays and did not lack in room for enough meat, fish, vegetables to feed an army. We are very pleased with the quality of product Traeger has put out. Thank you.

Traeger Wood Fired Grills Company Information