1.94/5
Based on 41 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

55 Traeger Wood Fired Grills Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Bought Junior Elite 20 pellet grill at Costco special sales event. Took it home and it simply wouldn't get up to temperature to ignite the pellets. Auger made extremely loud noises and then simply refused to operate. Packed it back up and returned to Costco with no problem. They had no inventory so I called Traeger. Woman on phone was very pleasant and helpful. Asked if I could get Traeger to simply replace the grill at the same price I purchased it for. Her supervisor said no and if I wanted it for that price I would have to drive to another state and purchase it at one of their event presentations. Made no sense to me why they would sell it to someone else for the "event" price but not to me who had already done. Poor customer support and silly supervisor. I will look elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Purchased my grill last fall at Costco, overall it works OK, some meats like Lamb Chops are just delicious. However, customer service seems to be deteriorating as the company is having success. My kids recently purchased me an add on to my Pro 34, a cold smoker. Traeger sells this but does not support it. The installation instructions are incomplete, I was sent parts that do not go with the unit, then customer service couldn't figure it out, this went on for weeks. After getting it installed, I asked for some instructions or recipes on how to use it, there are none. The old cover does not fit now, and Traeger does not sell one to go with a unit with a cold smoker, or plan on doing so. After a web search, I found one at Charbroil that kinda fits. Also, I just saw the same model at Orchard Supply, it now comes with more shelves and upgrades which I now have to buy as extras.

I also saw a Pit Boss unit next to the Traeger, it looks identical and is less than half the price, $399 vs. $900. I would seriously look at this next time. The pellets are expensive at $19 for a 20 pound bag, the price is the same everywhere you go, so price fixing, and they are never on sale. Also, there are many different flavors, Mesquite, Hickory, Pecan, Cherry etc. They recommend you use smoking different meats. I really cannot tell the difference using one from the other.

I feel like it is a marketing ploy to get you to buy more pellets, also, you cannot change the pellets without hand picking/scooping them out of the Hopper which is very tedious, so you don't do it. Also, as mine came from Costco assembled, I didn't realize the lid is held on by cheap screws that were drilled in crooked, so the lid does not close right and leaks a large amount of heat and smoke. I'll have to redrill it and put in bolts to fix it. I never had any issues with a charcoal or gas grill???

Get expert buying tips about Barbecue Grills delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I bought my Traeger Pro Grill a year ago and have thoroughly enjoyed using it. The problems began when it suddenly stopped working. The warranty is a self-service warranty which means you have to service it yourself or load it up and haul it to a distributor for repair should your efforts fail. For this reason I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU AVOID BUYING A TRAEGER GRILL. Anytime you pay 1500 for anything a warranty should mean just that, it’s a replacement warranty. I am terribly disappointed with the response from Traeger. Please feel free to contact me should you need further clarification.

Original review: July 30, 2018

After about 3 months the Traeger stopped working. It seem it need to replace the "hot rod." Frankly, a Traeger repair person should do this. The other Traeger did not work right out of the box: the auger did not turn. This is being returned.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Got the Traeger Pro grill. I was so excited after seeing all of the commercials, unfortunately once I got it together it did not work. No heat on the glow rod no fan nothing. The only thing that worked was the auger and the front panel lights up. Called customer service spent 2 hours on the phone for them to tell me what I already knew they did not work. I told the man on the other end of the line that if it could not work out of the box I did not want it, he stated no returns. Now I am stuck with it. He says, "I will send you the parts needed you can replace them."

The package arrives and only the glow rod no fan! So now the auger and the rod work but no fan. I call into today he states, "I will send the fan," however I had surgery on my shoulder on July 2nd and am not able to move it. I asked for a replacement grill one that works right out of the box. I got told they do not do replacements. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER AND HORRIBLE GRILL. NEVER BUY ONE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Traeger Wood Fired Grills?

Original review: July 22, 2018

This website has a lot of negative reviews... I mixed some salt and pepper, rubbed onto some ribs, and put on the Traeger. After about 5 hours sitting in my a/c living room, looking out the window, at perfectly managed temp, the ribs were done, perfect, juicy, with a beautiful wood smoky flavor that I've never gotten on charcoal or even in restaurants with professional pitmasters and all. I did phone Traeger when I was putting the grill together and doing the 1st burn in, there were humans there (!) and they were knowledgeable and helpful on the 1st time.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I purchased a Traeger Elite Grill from the website. I use the grill one time and it worked fine. A couple of weeks later we fired up the grill to cook some steaks. Approximately 10 minutes into cooking the auger stopped working. We had to finish our meal cooking it on the stove. I looked at the troubleshooting guide and the steps needed to be taken. To determine what was wrong you basically needed to dismantle the electric box and auger housing. I am not an electrician Nor a mechanic and feel this is excessive for a consumer to have to do.

I called Traeger to get a service call at my home. There is a service representative 30 miles away but would only come out when they were in the area. Needless to say, three weeks have passed and the grill still does not work. I have fought with Traeger on the phone. The 3245 day refund window has passed so I cannot get a refund. I cannot return the grill and I'm still waiting for someone to come out and fix it. Traeger products are crap and trying to get them serviced you will have to take the unit to somebody who Services the grill. Don't waste your money buying Traeger products.

Original review: May 30, 2018 I bought my Traeger Model TFS60LZC from COSTCO in 2017. It is poorly made and does not work. Quality Issue: I keep it on a covered patio and the grill is covered with the Traeger supplied grill cover. The internal parts of the grill have already rusted. Grilling Issue: 1. The grill does not reach the set temperature.

2. The grill does not come back to the set temperature after the lid is opened and closed to place the meat. I start it, close the lid, set the temp (startup procedure has changed to this according to Traeger service tech) and after 15 or 20 minutes it is not at the set temp yet...in fact it is declining. Well I need to cook on it and cannot wait forever so I open the lid quickly, throw the meat on, and close the lid quickly.

While the lid is opened then closed, the temperature drops in this short time by 100 degrees or more and then the grill never gets back up to the desired set point over the Traeger recommended 30 minute cook time. This make following the Traeger recipe book for grilling perfect meats impossible...ie "grill at 400 deg for 30 minutes for medium". You have to guess because the temperature never gets above 371 deg in this real life example. Service Issue: The factory service is useless. You will get shuffled around to various techs who email you the same set of troubleshooting instructions. There is no consistency or accountability within the service tech group. You can ask for a service tech supervisor and will be told there is no supervisor.

After you run all the troubleshooting tests and confirm you are using dry pellets, that the outside temp matches the digital start up temp, that the auger is turning and timing on and off properly, that the fan is running properly, that the digital read out temp on the controller matches the temp on a separate oven thermometer, that you have used a shop vac to clean out the firepot and auger tunnel of any pellet residue before starting, that you close the lid of the grill after start up, that you are following the new start up procedures...then the service tech starts sending replacement parts for you to change out...in spite of the fact that all the troubleshooting you just did indicates to them the Traeger is operating properly.

There is no local service center or trained local technician who can come out and service the Traeger. The thing probably weights 300 lbs. so getting it from the balcony of an apartment and down a flight or two of stairs is nearly impossible. I live in Houston and all the troubleshooting and part replacement has to be done by me. Traeger service techs act like it is easy to rebuild the controls on a Traeger but it is not.

Conclusion: I would not recommend the Traeger grill to anyone. It does not work properly, it rusts on the inside, and it is not support by knowledgeable service techs. The Traeger is a bad design and cheaply built. Don't waste your money or time on one if you enjoy grilling outside...just buy a good propane grill and have fun.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I watched the Traeger infomercial on T.V. Seemed easy enough. Ha! QVC ran a similar infomercial on their channel, seemed really easy. Ha! Like a fool and his money are soon departed, I jumped in and bought one. When it came in the mail, I started to assemble it. What a joke! No instructions came with it to tell me where the nuts and screws went. Called the manufacturer. The lady said they had many complaints with the QVC orders, she would email me a copy of the instructions. Well I finally put it together. Performed the (curing and start up method). Bought a nice pork shoulder and started grilling. It is interesting that both infomercials say set the temp and WALK AWAY!!! What a joke, I sat and watched the grill like a hawk for 3 hours, everything was good. I figured I would go eat lunch, ha! What a mistake. When I came back (20 min.) the grill had turned itself off and had an error on the screen.

I called Traeger pushed option 4 for troubleshooting, I explained my problem, the person told me the hopper had stopped feeding pellets, because of a blockage??? (He said it was the nature of the pellets they sell). The fire pot burned out, the blockage miraculously fix itself and began to feed pellets so the fire pot would be full. Take out the meat, disassemble the unit down to the fire pot, vacuum it out (get rid of the pellets in the fire pot). Stir the pellets in the hopper, reassemble the unit, put the meat back in and start again. WHAT THE??? Are you kidding me!!! I pay all of this money. To have to sit here and babysit this piece of ( ) what a joke. Nowhere did they ever say stir the pellets every hour. I consider this a big flaw in their grills. Don’t buy into their commercials. They got me. Don’t let them get YOU!!!

Original review: May 15, 2018

We purchased our wood pellet grill (Model TFB57CLB) from Costco in August 2017. It came with one bag of the gourmet blend pellets. We used the Traeger cookbook to try a few different recipes in the fall. Most of these involve a period of smoking followed by a period of grilling. The grill seemed to work fine at first. We used it a couple of times on warmer days in the winter and it had some trouble getting up to the desired heat level. We started using it regularly again in April 2018. I was careful to clean it and check the pellets etc. The smoking feature seemed to work alright, but when I would turn the heat up for grilling, the grill would usually struggle to get much over 225. I would resort to turning it up to 375 or more just to get it to 225 and then often it would sink back down to 180 or 160. I went to the troubleshooting guide on the manufacturer's website and checked all the components, which seemed to be working fine.

On my most recent attempt, I tried ribs on the 3-2-1 recipe (smoke for 3 hours, cook in covered foil for 2 hours, open grill for 1 hour). The smoking worked fine, but it was impossible to get the grill to get up to 225 (the prescribed temperature) for any consistent time. I found that the pellets would not feed into the auger consistently over time and I had to open the box and help feed the pellets down. It was extremely frustrating to have to check the grill every 15 minutes to see if the temperature was holding. I finally gave up and put the ribs in the oven to finish them.

I wrote to Traeger's customer service email address and explained the problem -- I haven't heard back from them. After reading the reviews on ConsumerAffairs, I now see that I am not alone and that this grill has inherent design flaws that consistently result in the inability to maintain proper grilling heat. We had done a lot of research on grills before deciding to pull the trigger and spend nearly $800 on this grill. Now I feel that we were totally suckered. I haven't even finished my first bag of pellets and I feel like all I got was an $800 smoker and I still have to finish the meat in my oven -- it's a joke. My next step will be to seek a refund from Costco or Traeger. I would not recommend this brand until such time as they convincingly address the defects in their design.

Original review: May 1, 2018

We had a wildfire here. My Traeger was on fire. It finally reached a temperature over 420 degrees. LOL. The inside of a Traeger never lasts!! I was having trouble getting it hot enough.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I've done briskets twice on my Traeger pellet grill and am completely satisfied on the results. The first time I did a single brisket for 15.5 hrs and it was perfect with no fuss. I just did two large briskets for an event that took over 16 hrs and they turned out completely well. Recommend this product without hesitation.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Traeger Pro Series 34 - Nowhere in the advertisements nor the website nor the owner's manual does it let the customer know that in order to prevent stall out's while cooking at low temperatures (250) that the hopper must be stirred every hour and a half or so to prevent gaps in the feed of the pellets. We lost a very nice cut of meat to this after having to get up in the middle of the night to check on the cooking at a temperature of 250 degrees (which had stalled again, leaving the grill and the meat cold). This is the second time using the grill.

Talked to customer service and they are very aware of the problem and told us what to do like we should be aware of it. How can you be aware of a known problem if it is kept a secret? This type of grilling is supposed to be what sets Traeger apart from all the other grills. Unfortunately, you're married to the grill, in fear of losing the heat, losing the meat, and losing your mind... We are extremely aggravated that this problem is not addressed and not re-designed to take care of the "well-known" problem.

Original review: April 20, 2018

The smoker does not hold temperature. I called the service dept and they sent a new controller card and it does not hold temp either. When I contacted the service dept they told me that the grills do not hold temp at the 225 degree setting. If you look at all the Traeger literature and cookbook and recipes all say to smoke at 225. As does every other smoking cookbook. So Traeger manufactures and sells a known defective product. DO NOT BUY TRAEGER.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I had to cancel my order today. I called this morning, however no one at their office could provide a satisfactory answer or response to my order. I actually was asked to provide a second copy of the invoice pink slip which I had already done so. Very disappointed with your company's sales rep that sold me the smoker at the Timnath Colorado store location. She guaranteed that the grill would be shipped out in three days and I would receive it before Easter, my daughter's birthday weekend for a party.

A week went by with no confirmation that I even ordered the unit from you guys. I called and was fortunate to speak with Jesse, I think he did his best in the matter however, today is over three weeks later (past the contract delivery grace period). So I called to speak with your sales office. And guess what? They had no update on my purchase. I was initially very excited to own one of your smokers. Now I will never know because my confidence in Traeger company is gone. I just hope my refund doesn't take over 3 weeks to go back into my checking account. If they can't figure out how to take and ship orders why would they be able to design anything worthy of purchase?

Original review: March 31, 2018

I purchased my first Traeger Grills over a year and a half ago and now I am on my third grill. I have had the most amazing experience grilling, smoking and baking. I do everything on my Traeger. It accurately holds the temperature, starts up automatically and has convection which cooks my food evenly and thoroughly. I recommend this grill to anybody who’s looking for a amazing cooking experience with little effort and really likes to show off to their friends how good their food tastes. My favorite part is being able to walk away from the grill and not have to babysit it so I can do overnight briskets without even checking them. I love it.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I spent over $1000 on Traeger Wood Pellet Grill. The wood pellets do NOT smell nothing like the certain wood it's supposed to be. Mesquite, Hickory, Oakwood pellets smell like not what it is... What is going on. It's a week brand new and I'd hate to return because of this.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had my Traeger grill now at least a week. Not really satisfied because every time I use it it does good for about a hour then it starts to cool down very quickly. Have to turn it off and start over and over again. This take all day to do this. I should not have to do this all day. Just a waste of pellets. Done wasted a whole bag of pellets. Called customer service. They tell me do the same thing. I think a grill should not do this. The meat I cook sometimes is not cooked. Have to start over again. All of this I have described take hrs. Have to stay outdoor to babysit. This grill should not have to do this. That tell me the grill is not good.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I ordered a thermostat for my Junior Elite grill because service said that was most likely the problem with my 4-year-old Traeger grill. I was promptly charged on my credit card. The order did not get to me and 2 weeks later, I emailed them. They said they would send out another thermometer. That thermometer has been making the rounds in 1/2 dozen post offices:

Dallas, TX, United States 03/18/2018 6:43 A.M. Package processed by post office. Houston, TX, United States 03/17/2018 4:30 A.M. Package returned to sender by post office due to incorrect address. Houston, TX, United States 03/13/2018 6:34 A.M. Received by the post office. 03/13/2018 5:41 A.M. Accepted by post office. North Houston, TX, United States 03/13/2018 2:32 A.M. Package processed by post office. North Houston, TX, United States 03/12/2018 6:21 P.M. Package processed by post office. Houston, TX, United States 03/10/2018 9:34 A.M. Package out for post office delivery. 03/10/2018 9:24 A.M. Package sorted by post office. 03/10/2018 7:46 A.M. Received by the post office. Houston, TX, United States 03/08/2018 8:00 P.M. Package transferred to post office. 03/08/2018 12:19 P.M. Electronic Shipment Information Received for Package by Post Office.

Carrollton, TX, United States 03/08/2018 11:46 A.M. Package departed UPS Mail Innovations facility en route to USPS for induction. 03/08/2018 10:27 A.M. Postage Paid/Ready for destination post office entry. 03/08/2018 8:25 A.M. Package received for sort by destination UPS Mail Innovations facility. Morrow, GA, United States 03/07/2018 4:08 A.M. Package transferred to destination UPS Mail Innovations facility. 03/07/2018 2:12 A.M. Package processed by UPS Mail Innovations origin facility. Morrow, GA, United States 03/06/2018 11:54 P.M. Package received for processing by UPS Mail Innovations. Lithia Springs, GA, United States 03/06/2018 7:04 P.M. Shipment tendered to UPS Mail Innovations. United States 03/02/2018 5:07 P.M. Shipment information received by UPS Mail Innovations.

So I emailed again. They said they would send it UPS. Today I find out, they mailed it to the wrong address... This has turned into a Kafkaesque nightmare. The supervisor said they would change the address- NO. Now they are sending out a 4th thermometer... If Amazon was this incompetent, they would never have made it.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I called Traeger to discuss their 10k Commercial smoker. The fellow who answered was polite but not helpful. He said, "You need to call our commercial division. They can answer any question you might have," and gave me the number. This is literally how the conversation went when phone was answered. Me: "Hello I was hoping to talk to someone there about your 10k commercial smoker." Him: "What state you live in?" Me: "Texas." Him: "We don't ship direct to Texas anymore, you will need to call one of our dealers." CLICK. So I am thankful I found out now as there is no way in hell I will spend 10k with Traegar.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I purchased a Traeger Select Elite from Costco for both my personal residence as well as for my vacation home. I am now on the third grill at my residence. Traeger will tell you that they expect to offer Awesome customer service. I have replaced the auger assembly, the controller and now the fan. I can't get the grill up to temperature. Awesome customer service says it should be no problem. Just replace the _______ (fill in the blank). I don't think these people have ever seen a grill let alone use one. Costco (love their return policy) is about to get another one back. Am I too harsh to expect the product to perform as they say it will? I would think when you pay as much as Traeger thinks their grills are worth, that they should work out of the box. Well, quality control under the new management has gone to hell. Then they expect you to "try" all the fixes that might work on your own. This is self service, not customer service.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Bought a Bronson after seeing grill at the state fair, through ACE Hardware. I had it exactly one week. The temp kept shutting down every time I used the grill (five times total). On the 7th day I attempted a slow smoke at 250 degrees. At three hours in the unit again went to ambient temp. I attempted to initiate the start up cycle as I had done the previous times, thinking the auger did not feed the fire pot for some reason. Confirmed the hopper was full. All seemed well so I put it back to temp and in about three minutes copious amounts of smoke poured out, the grill had a mini explosion due to the build up of pressure, and it caught on fire. After I got the fire put out (unplugged unit and then closed lid to limit oxygen), I was able to disassemble unit to find the fire pot spilling over with pellets.

After researching the issue, I see numerous reports of the same issue across models. Apparently this is a control issue. I am giving three stars because I have serious concerns about the safety of the unit. Also, it would take a minimum of an hour to disassemble in the middle of a cook to clean the grill out and restart! Reps have been helpful at Traeger and ACE is replacing unit for me to see if this resolves the issue. They will give a full refund if I am not satisfied. The food tastes great if you make it to completion. Love the concept. Hoping that the replacement will resolve issue. But beware. If you have a unit that is not holding temp and the hopper is full, return it immediately!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Purchased a Traeger Grill 3 months ago and when it was shipped to my house, a wheel was broken and hopper was dented. Contacted customer service and they sent me new parts. When I got the new parts, they came with no instructions. The wheel was pretty simple to figure out, but replacing the hopper I had to google to figure out how to remove.

The replacement hopper was different than the one I had, which required me to remove the power cord. Got it all replaced and was able to use it. Now the Traeger unit is just shutting off and when I contacted customer service again about a replacement unit, since the unit was only 3 months old and something internally may be damaged when it was shipped, I was told that Traeger’s warranty policy is replacement parts only that I have to install. I can’t believe a company like Traeger who is suppose to be one of the top companies would not stand behind their products and force consumers to fix faulty parts.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Worked great the first time I used it. Second time, it wouldn't heat up. Tried contacting Traeger and they mailed a part that didn't fix it, and they were no help after that. Got busy so it was a couple months before I went back to try to figure out a way to fix it myself, and found that the whole metal body had rusted through in several areas. It was winter, but the grill was covered, and I would expect grills to be made to keep outdoors. Ended up just throwing it away, so I spent over $700 to make grill burgers once. World's most expensive burger, and the biggest waste of money ever.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Worked well the first four or five times I used it. The first time I used it to smoke it caught on fire in the process. Was able to apply just enough water to put it out, cleaned everything and restarted and it was fine. The next time I used it, it caught on fire again during the smoking process. Was burning the pellets up through the hopper. Used Traeger pellets both times and it was clean when it was being used. Customer service guy was helpful but didn't sound at all surprised that it caught on fire so I'm assuming I wasn't his first phone call with that complaint.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I bought a grill, it didn't work, tried working with customer service for over 2 months, they lied and never followed up. These are cheap grills made with Chinese parts. Nothing worked. Look at the Yelp reviews before you buy. I wish I had!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My Traeger never reaches the temperature set on the dial. It did work for approximately a week. I contacted Traeger and they emailed a standard troubleshooting guide. Some of the suggestions are as follows: Are you using genuine Traeger pellets? Yes, at $19/bag. Are they in a dry area protected from humidity? No, they are in the hopper. What is ambient temperature? 75 degrees. Is the combustion chamber free of ashes? Yes. Is the fan running and auger turning at the required speed? Yes. So basically I have an expensive grill that isn't any better than the old propane one I had before that I have to religiously clean, and guess how long to cook something. Do not waste your money. I wish I wouldn't have wasted mine.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Cheap grill broken on arrival! This was broken when it arrived at my house. They make these things cheap and then force you to spend hours on the phone with customer service trying to fix on your own what’s wrong. This is a very disgusting way to do business.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I bought a Traeger at Costco. After the first 2 or 3 uses, it just shuts down after a period of anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. You get an error message where the temperature normally shows. Then you have to restart it. It brings the temperature of the food down and you have to start all over. I had this for a year and finally returned it to Costco for a refund. I would try to smoke a prime rib or ribs and end up having to check every 20 minutes or see if it turned off and I have to restart. Most of the time it did. I got sick of it and returned it and got a Green Mountain Daniel Boone smoker which has had none of these issues so far, although I just got it. The Daniel Boone seems way better built. For example, Daniel Boone has bolts holding the lid onto the smoker, where Traeger had some cheap screws. Daniel Boone has 4 wheels, Traeger had 2.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Traeger Century 22 (Costco) - Have had this grill for 6 months now, and have cooked about everything you can imagine on it. Have used about 160 lbs. of pellets so far. It is amazingly efficient with its pellets. Sitting here after preparing 2 turkeys for my family's Thanksgiving dinner, the BEST turkey I have ever had. I have no regrets about this smoker. It's amazing, I recommend to everyone! (P.S. I haven't turned on my oven since I got it.)

Traeger Wood Fired Grills Company Information

www.traegergrills.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business