1.57/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

80 Traeger Wood Fired Grills Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I purchased a medium sized Traeger grill 6 years ago this spring. Since then I cook most everything on it. We had our moments of getting used to this grill. Which by the way is way more than just a grill. This is a wood pellet oven, smoker and grill. Reading the recipes online helps to learn how to properly cook on this device. It is not going to be the same as your gas grill. For one they do not get as hot. I found out after making mediocre steaks a few times that smoking them for about 30 min then taking them off and turning the heat to high and putting them back on for 3-5 min each side gives you an amazing flavorful perfectly cooked medium rare steak.

We use it all winter long. I would guess that in really cold climates that could be difficult but it rarely gets below 40 here in Virginia Beach. You can turn any frozen pizza into a wood fired delicious pizza. I would absolutely recommend this grill and I will definitely be getting a new one once this one stops working. BTW after 6 years we have had zero issues with it. Always make sure you do not run it out of pellets, cook on lowest heat first then turn up. Going the opposite way will not result in the temperature you want.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Best grill ever in my opinion, when it works. I live in the northeast, so we get four seasons of weather. When our Traeger is working we use it year-round, during the winter we have a Traeger thermal blanket which does work well to maintain the heat. When cold (25 degrees F or less) the grill can achieve and maintain ~375 degrees F.

The problem is the pellet auger routinely gets jammed, ever since I bought this new. After replacing the motor twice, putting a cover over the grill when not in use to reduce the risk of moisture in the pellets and sifting new bags of Traeger pellets to remove the sawdust, still have the same problem, year-round. The activities mentioned were done based on discussions with the Traeger technical support group. To correct, it takes about 15-20 minutes to empty and dismantle the hopper, motor, pull the auger out, clean the chamber and re-assemble. I believe this to be a basic design issue with the grill itself although Traeger will not comment on this, other than ask the same questions about moisture, sawdust, whose pellets I use, etc. In the end if you're willing to put up with the design flaw, it’s a great grill. If not, look elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Barbecue Grills delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I see here many like me had LOTS of trouble with their Traeger. Held off buying as they're so expensive but one day the Tgr Rep was at HM Depot and sold me on the latest & greatest. Get it home and try to follow instructions but they dont match up with my grill. Plus it won't fire up and I gave it 30 minutes. So I call customer service. She tell me to undo some panel and see if wire is attached. I do it but it's attached properly. Then she tells me that my model isn't even in her system yet and it's NOT to be sold until March 2019. So she can't help me. I call store & talk to rep. He tells me follow directions under pellet lid. I tell him no direction there. He sends me pic of what it should look like. I send him back what's under mine. He's puzzled. Asks what's wrong (see above). He calls his boss who also now doesn't know what to do. And don't forget my Prime Rib is getting bored sitting on grill.

After several more interactions with customer service begging them to help they basically just wanted me to rebuild it with parts they'd send me... No bueno for me as I don't buy $900 bbq's to rebuild them... Bottom line Mr. Traeger himself is either rolling over in his grave as the management team in place fails him or, they're all rolling around in their money laughing at folks like me (you) while behind the scenes. They work to figure out how to catch up with recipes, directions, get the remote feature troubleshot, the app synchronized etc. Tried to hold off returning it but HD here I come...

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

This grill works great when we cook some food with it and we don't need another one right now. Because we had this grill for a long time and it still works great. But one day we will get another one like this. This grill is one of the best grill company out there. The company will grow and get much better over the years.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

We were going to grill steaks for Christmas but the Traeger Grill WOULD NOT GET HOT ENOUGH TO COOK THE STEAKS PROPERLY!!! NEEDLESS TO SAY, I am very disappointed in this grill after paying $1200.00 for the grill! Wish I could get my money back for this worthless grill! We did use the Traeger pellets. We do not have the "P" system where one can regulate the heat! It really sucks and I will not ever recommend Traeger to anyone! Disappointed is not even the right word to express my opinion about this expensive grill!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Traeger Wood Fired Grills?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I'd like to start off by saying I loved the grill when it worked. I haven't had the experiences of a lot that I've read about on here. This rating is solely based on parts replacement. My unit went down the first of October. They had me replace the hot rod, controller, and the power cord. Alas they decide to send me an entire new hot box. Seems totally fair to me. They did a great job upfront in trying to fix it. Then comes the hot box. They were supposedly sending one out ASAP.

Now it is December 20th and after many phone calls to the company, I still won't have it until January (maybe). Reputable companies should have replaced the entire unit when they were well aware that they had a long back order on warrantied parts as they did know. They already committed to changing out some of the most expensive parts, why not let me grab one at a local store? Instead it appears they leave existing clients in the dust while chasing new business. I own two Traegers, and once these go out they will never see me again. I can promise that.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Bought my Texas Elite 34 Traeger pellet grill last summer at Oshkosh Fly-in. Received it and assembled it with no issues. Began using it and discovered it will not make temperatures above 375 deg F. Most of the Traeger recipes need 400+ deg, so this wouldn't work. Called Traeger. They started sending me replacement parts, first the combustion air fan, then the auger motor, then a digital temp controller. None of these new parts had any effect on the problem. I have probably called Traeger 10 times, finally getting a hold of a second level supervisor named Jessie. He decided to send me a whole burner module; pellet hopper, auger tube, burner bowl, fan, controller... everything in one assembly. I installed it and no improvement. I did a time vs temp test for them at their request. They finally agreed it wasn't working properly.

Their return policy is non-existent. It has to be returned in the original packaging and can't have ever been used, meaning when you light it for the first time it cannot be returned... no exceptions. Jessie made a deal with me to send me a 22-inch grill and take back my 34-inch grill. He refused to refund me the cost difference. I decided to cut my losses and accept this deal. He said he would call and email me back with the shipping details. That was two months ago, and no call. I've called them three times since. Each time, they claim to send Jessie a message to call me... no call. This kind of poor integrity does not deserve anyone's business. The 34-inch grill design does not have enough BTUs to make a high temperature. That's the bottom line.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Buying a Traeger Grill was the worst outdoor cooking appliance buying decision in my life. I have to take it apart probably 7 out of 10 times I use it. I can’t leave it alone or it can shut off. It has exploded about 6 out of the 50 times I have used it (Exploding meaning it makes a loud noise, the door lid flies open and I get dust all over whatever I am cooking). Sometimes the smoke is so thick, my neighbors will have to call me to make sure everything is okay and nothing is on fire. I get much better results on a regular Weber charcoal grill. The Traeger doesn’t get hot enough to sear steaks properly. I urge anyone considering buying one to read reviews - I have learned that I am not alone with these problems.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Loved the idea of a "pellet smoker" - less stress, delicious meat. Bought mine at Costco 1 year ago and have used it many times with mixed results, not exactly stress less. Last time using it the pellet hopper caught on fire, turns out the auger chamber is packed full of pellets and won't move. Attempted to open chamber to clear and with this model it is extremely difficult (with unit sold thru Costco - newer ones look easier...) so I called customer service hotline. Called different 4 times and talked with a different live person each time and was promised a call back to schedule an in house repair. Never received one call back so I tried to email and again never received a return email. I have no choice but to return smoker to Costco.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

This grill was highly recommended by a local dealer and twice it has cut out on me mid-cooking, with ERR on the display. DON'T buy a Traeger, stick with charcoal or propane, I had to dispose of two loads of undercooked meat using this grill. It just cuts out when it feels like it leaving the meat uncooked.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Ordered a Traeger Ranger and paid with PayPal. Never was delivered. Traeger blamed PayPal for a failed transaction. PayPal confirmed transaction was completed and they had the money. Traeger then claimed they couldn’t find the order. Gave them the order # and the PayPal transaction # and claimed they couldn’t find them. PayPal is now reimbursing me and collecting from this crooked seller. If you read the reviews they use the “we can’t find the order” excuse over and over again. Never buy from them again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Purchased a grill through Costco with a sales member from Traeger. We filled out all the paperwork together I was asked to purchased a grill through Costco.

After 10 days of not seeing anything in my email I called them. They told me they had no order. After two weeks and more phone calls then a grill finally shows up but without the cover or the pallets which I paid for and was on the order. Three calls into managers and customer service still not resolved. When I threaten to take the grill back to Costco I was told to go ahead and have a nice day.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Super excited to receive my brand new Traeger Timberline 1300 pellet smoker. When unboxing and putting together I noticed I was unable to attach legs due to damage to the unit. Instead of a nice round hole where legs would go, there was no holes, just where the hole should be smashed together. I instant contact Traeger and sent pictures of the damage requesting a new grill. They would not provide any case number and said they needed to review pictures which would take a few hours. 3 days goes but and no response. I open a PayPal dispute (NOT claim) and they contacted Traeger again. Now they refuse to do Anything unless I close the dispute but if I close dispute, I lose all my consumer protection. They could of handled this situation so much better. I will never purchase a smoker from them again. Horrible customer care.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I have a Traeger Texas 34 Grill I purchased in January. It worked well for a short stint (1 or 2 sessions) and now will not get to the desired heating temperature, above 400. I have called Traeger and they have sent me multiple parts (2 new controllers/probes/fans) to replace in it, on my own time. Still not working. Upon calling them they said they could not send me a new grill because I purchased from Amazon. They said I needed to contact them. A $900 investment is essentially useless now. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Please read again - do not buy Traegers. Not only will you be wasting money, you will be unable to get your money back! Do not be fooled by their customer service slogan: "TRAEGER'S LEGENDARY CUSTOMER SERVICE is the best out there. If you have any questions about your Traeger grill or need tips on cooking your first Thanksgiving turkey, our seasoned experts have your back. We're here for you 365 days a year including holidays, because we're cooks — not bankers." IT FLAT OUT IS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Bought the Costco trade show model after about 4 years of debating the purchase... OK, first one broke on day one as "auger" stopped spinning. Returned and received a new unit. 2nd one smoked a turkey for 4.5 hours. After 4 hours temp. dropped to 100 degrees and it was set to 350. When I opened the smoker to check on why this happened, it exploded into a ball of flames! There was fire shooting out from all sides of the grill and smoke and heat coming from the feeder side of the grill... This was SCARY and could have absolutely caused a major fire, and/or injury!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

First one, had an auger problem... told that this never happens. Returned to Costco, now on 2nd Unit. FIRE HAZARD, fire pot overloaded after temp dropped from 375 to 100 on a four-hour turkey. When I opened the lid to see what was going on it EXPLODED into a fireball and then had flames shooting out from all sides of the grill. There was even smoke and heat felt from the firebox side of the grill and it looked as though the overloaded firepot was burning into the auger line as well. DANGEROUS PRODUCT!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Spent thousands on Traeger, they are ok. Wouldn’t have an issue if they were only $500. But the last one I bought, (Timberline 850) cost $2500 Canadian. Almost burnt my house down because it got over 600F and was still climbing. All Traeger does is mail you more Chinese parts to fix your China made grill. By the end of it you will know your Traeger in and out because you WILL have to take it apart to repair! Overpriced for a smoker with many issues. Timberline lower grill has a portion of the grill removed for some kind of design. They added a 1/4 lip to justify this Grand Canyon of a hole in the back of the grill. Well needless to say if you cook wings or something small and toss them around you will for sure lose the wings to this big stupid hole. But they said they pit the little lip to stop the food from falling... Do they not test these products?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I cannot comment on the quality or Function of the Grills as I never received mine. I order a Texas Elite 34 at the Minnesota State Fair on Aug. 23rd for $899 with a few extras and was told this was the lowest price ever (Not True). They did not tell me about the pro series which I found later. They said it would be delivered within 7 days. 2 weeks later no grill so I called customer service just asking on when I would get the grill. They could not find my order and did not believe I ordered one... They said I had to email them my receipt as they could do nothing on the phone.

After sending a few emails I finally got a response saying they could not find my order and are looking into it. A week later they found the order and blamed the sales guy on entering it... no apology or compensation for such a huge delay but they needed my address to ship, yet it was on the receipt and they billed to my address. I tried multiple times to talk to someone on the phone and they would only communicate through email taking a business day to respond and rarely the same person...

Finally I canceled my order and got a refund for the first payment. Now a week after I got my refund I got charged a second payment... seriously. I emailed them and so far 3 days later no response... I would be afraid now for anyone who has a grill and has an issue to ever get it fixed. Please keep all documents and communication.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I purchased a Traeger 34 inch smoker a month ago and it has never worked correctly. I called customer service several times and the bottom line is that if I want to have it serviced, I have to load it into my car and drive it to Long Beach. There isn't a service dealer in the entire City of Los Angeles! Going to return it to Home Depot. Buy any smoker other than a Traeger.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Worst purchase of a product that I have ever made. After same issues the first and second cookings, I will use my good ole Brinkmann smoker from here on out. Shuts off with errors and after setting it on 250 will climb to over 400-450 degrees. They say you can set it and forget it, but I'm afraid that my home would burn down if I was not here watching over this junk. When you call customer service same old story. Take everything out, clean firepot put it all back together, then fire it back off. Take your screen out of pellet box and rake them. If you want to smoke meat you don't want to do this every 20 minutes or so. I gave over 600.00 dollars for this and have no more than 50.00 in my Brinkmann. Please read all problems with these before wasting your money!!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have used mine Traeger 15 times and it hasn't worked once. I will not hold the temp within 15 degrees as they state. I can set mine to 225 and will go between 180-370. It also consistently shutting itself off with the same error. I have spoken to cust service 12 times and they are worthless. I have had new controller sent and other various parts. I have been on the phone with them for hours. I always have to take my meat off and finish it on my Weber. They refuse to send me a new one. They still demand to go back through the same damn steps as the last 12 times to debug it. Never again. If you see my post on Craigslist, don't buy it, it's a lemon that Traeger will not support.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

First off, in general I was a huge Traeger fan due to my brother-in-law smoking up meat and fish for us for the past 3 years and it was just damn delicious. He also just raved about his Traeger, so finally I took the plunge and purchased a Century 34 model during one their Costco road shows. Customer Service - In general I will give them 4 stars because I am talking with a human, they were seemingly very thorough when I spoke with them and didn't appear to be reading from a knowledge base article when I described the problems. I also grilled them to ensure that the Costco specific model wasn't being manufactured with subpar parts since the price was so much less than retail and seemingly more bells and whistles. More than one representative confirmed that was not the case. This is where it stops being good news.

The first grill - setup was easy and the excitement was all over the backyard. I smoked a brisket, 8 slabs of ribs and the results were amazing!!! After that, I discovered the grill would take more than 1.25hrs to get to 400 degrees (tried starting with lid closed and the prescribed method of smoke with open lid and then crank it up as well). Once the grill made it to 425 or so, I opened to put some steaks on, but before I could close the lid, the temp had dropped to about 380 degrees and never made it above 395 or so. Afterwards, I cleaned out the grill (firepot, etc) and started the initial firing once again, trying to ensure no air pocket was in the auger tube or anything like that.

I fired up the grill once again just to test and see if things would be different. This time the grill got up to about 435 degrees after 1 hour and just as a I clapped, the temperature started quickly dropping and didn't stop until it reached 380 degrees and that's where it stayed. I worked with customer service, testing all of their suggestions and the end result was them recommending to send a new auger motor. I quickly mentioned to them that I am not going to replace a part on a new grill in the $1k range and on top of that the part wouldn't be in for 6 weeks. So I took it back to Costco and interestingly enough there was another Traeger sales rep in for me to speak with.

So now on Traeger Century 34 #2. I immediately completed the initial firing instructions and tested the high temperature setting. After 45 minutes the temp was at 425 (better than before but still a lot worse than their advertised 10-15 minutes). The grill got to 435 and remained there for about 1 hour when I decided I could trust it and grill some vegetables. I opened and placed the vegetables and the temperature went down to 350. After closing the lid and waiting more than a half hour and deciding to allow the veggies to go to hell, the grill finally got back to 400 at the 45 minute mark. I cleared everything from the grates, firepot, etc and started initial firing again. We are now back to taking more than 1.25hrs to get to 400 degrees. Customer service indicated the fan needed to be replaced. 2 screws and I have it replaced just as an exercise to see if this thing will ever work.

Result after the fan replacement: The same as before. Called back in to customer service and this time they want to send out a replacement for the warped heat baffle because "I am certain that's your problem now". Result: I visited a couple of local retailers that sell Traeger and they both steered me away from Traeger, even though they have them on their floor. Final result: I am packing up the Traeger to return it to Costco and I can no longer say that I am a Traeger fan.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I have a Traeger... goes out mid cook with error code... actually exploded twice... over filled fire pot with pellets 3 times. Then remove meat remove grill rack and heat deflector and empty pot. I call this junk. I bought a Pit Boss and have had not one problem. Traeger never again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

After 3 years my Traeger is a rust bucket, always covered when not in use and under a covered patio. Just turned it on to cook dinner, went out to turn up the temp and close the lid, DEAD won't respond at all, no lights nothing, checked the fuse and it's fine. Not worth fixing.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I bought this grill in May 2018. Had to return it to Ace 9 days later because it wouldn’t keep temp or would go out and fill up with pellets. I had to have the GM of Ace fight for me to get a new grill from Traeger. Once I did the new one seemed to work for about a month. Since then this one does the same thing as far as heat and pellets. I thought this thing was supposed to be a set and forget grill. If I don’t watch the heat it will be 200+ degrees over the set heat or sometimes be at ambient temperature and I have to pull me meat, grill and grease tray out so I can empty the heat pot of all the Unburned pellets. This thing is nothing but trouble. Does it cook great meat? Yes! When it works and you babysit it the whole time. On top of that customer service is about as useless as ** on a boar! They will try and tell you it’s something you’ve done wrong. I will be buying another brand smoker and giving this one to someone who like to deal with troubles.

Also I’d like to mention last week my blower fan went out (3 months old) so I called customer service. They said it would take 9 to 12 business days to get me a new one and they could not Expedite me a new one any sooner. However when I asked if a guy could call and buy one could he have a rush order. She said, "Of course." As soon as two days later. I thought this was poor warranty on their part. When I stated that the grill was only 3 months old and this should not be an issue already she asked if I use the grill often. I said, "Well yes about three to five times a week." She said it may have been wore out already. I laughed and said, "It’s nice to know I pay good money for a product that isn’t going to last unless I Ration the use of it as if it isn’t designed to be used that Frequently." In a nutshell... The product is cheap and nontrustworthy. The customer service is poor and you are the reason it’s not working! Never again will I buy a Traeger grill.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Bought Junior Elite 20 pellet grill at Costco special sales event. Took it home and it simply wouldn't get up to temperature to ignite the pellets. Auger made extremely loud noises and then simply refused to operate. Packed it back up and returned to Costco with no problem. They had no inventory so I called Traeger. Woman on phone was very pleasant and helpful. Asked if I could get Traeger to simply replace the grill at the same price I purchased it for. Her supervisor said no and if I wanted it for that price I would have to drive to another state and purchase it at one of their event presentations. Made no sense to me why they would sell it to someone else for the "event" price but not to me who had already done. Poor customer support and silly supervisor. I will look elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Purchased my grill last fall at Costco, overall it works OK, some meats like Lamb Chops are just delicious. However, customer service seems to be deteriorating as the company is having success. My kids recently purchased me an add on to my Pro 34, a cold smoker. Traeger sells this but does not support it. The installation instructions are incomplete, I was sent parts that do not go with the unit, then customer service couldn't figure it out, this went on for weeks. After getting it installed, I asked for some instructions or recipes on how to use it, there are none. The old cover does not fit now, and Traeger does not sell one to go with a unit with a cold smoker, or plan on doing so. After a web search, I found one at Charbroil that kinda fits. Also, I just saw the same model at Orchard Supply, it now comes with more shelves and upgrades which I now have to buy as extras.

I also saw a Pit Boss unit next to the Traeger, it looks identical and is less than half the price, $399 vs. $900. I would seriously look at this next time. The pellets are expensive at $19 for a 20 pound bag, the price is the same everywhere you go, so price fixing, and they are never on sale. Also, there are many different flavors, Mesquite, Hickory, Pecan, Cherry etc. They recommend you use smoking different meats. I really cannot tell the difference using one from the other.

I feel like it is a marketing ploy to get you to buy more pellets, also, you cannot change the pellets without hand picking/scooping them out of the Hopper which is very tedious, so you don't do it. Also, as mine came from Costco assembled, I didn't realize the lid is held on by cheap screws that were drilled in crooked, so the lid does not close right and leaks a large amount of heat and smoke. I'll have to redrill it and put in bolts to fix it. I never had any issues with a charcoal or gas grill???

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I bought my Traeger Pro Grill a year ago and have thoroughly enjoyed using it. The problems began when it suddenly stopped working. The warranty is a self-service warranty which means you have to service it yourself or load it up and haul it to a distributor for repair should your efforts fail. For this reason I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU AVOID BUYING A TRAEGER GRILL. Anytime you pay 1500 for anything a warranty should mean just that, it’s a replacement warranty. I am terribly disappointed with the response from Traeger. Please feel free to contact me should you need further clarification.

Original review: July 30, 2018

After about 3 months the Traeger stopped working. It seem it need to replace the "hot rod." Frankly, a Traeger repair person should do this. The other Traeger did not work right out of the box: the auger did not turn. This is being returned.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Got the Traeger Pro grill. I was so excited after seeing all of the commercials, unfortunately once I got it together it did not work. No heat on the glow rod no fan nothing. The only thing that worked was the auger and the front panel lights up. Called customer service spent 2 hours on the phone for them to tell me what I already knew they did not work. I told the man on the other end of the line that if it could not work out of the box I did not want it, he stated no returns. Now I am stuck with it. He says, "I will send you the parts needed you can replace them."

The package arrives and only the glow rod no fan! So now the auger and the rod work but no fan. I call into today he states, "I will send the fan," however I had surgery on my shoulder on July 2nd and am not able to move it. I asked for a replacement grill one that works right out of the box. I got told they do not do replacements. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER AND HORRIBLE GRILL. NEVER BUY ONE.

Traeger Wood Fired Grills Company Information

www.traegergrills.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.