2.96/5

103 Traeger Wood Fired Grills Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

Got my first Traeger (Bronson 20) as a gift December of 2017 and I fell in love with it! I use it 3-5 times a week. I have had about 3 LER codes, but I learned my auger would have a pellet void making pellets fill my fire pot and put the fire out. I learned by occasionally & lightly stirring the pellets around to avoid have a tunnel like drainage kept pellets flowing correctly. A few days ago I bought a new Traeger the Ironwood 885 with the D2 controller & wifi and I couldn't be happier! I have 7 other grills, but my Traeger is my go to grill!!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I purchased a medium sized Traeger grill 6 years ago this spring. Since then I cook most everything on it. We had our moments of getting used to this grill. Which by the way is way more than just a grill. This is a wood pellet oven, smoker and grill. Reading the recipes online helps to learn how to properly cook on this device. It is not going to be the same as your gas grill. For one they do not get as hot. I found out after making mediocre steaks a few times that smoking them for about 30 min then taking them off and turning the heat to high and putting them back on for 3-5 min each side gives you an amazing flavorful perfectly cooked medium rare steak.

We use it all winter long. I would guess that in really cold climates that could be difficult but it rarely gets below 40 here in Virginia Beach. You can turn any frozen pizza into a wood fired delicious pizza. I would absolutely recommend this grill and I will definitely be getting a new one once this one stops working. BTW after 6 years we have had zero issues with it. Always make sure you do not run it out of pellets, cook on lowest heat first then turn up. Going the opposite way will not result in the temperature you want.

Get expert buying tips about Barbecue Grills delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

This grill works great when we cook some food with it and we don't need another one right now. Because we had this grill for a long time and it still works great. But one day we will get another one like this. This grill is one of the best grill company out there. The company will grow and get much better over the years.

Original review: July 22, 2018

This website has a lot of negative reviews... I mixed some salt and pepper, rubbed onto some ribs, and put on the Traeger. After about 5 hours sitting in my a/c living room, looking out the window, at perfectly managed temp, the ribs were done, perfect, juicy, with a beautiful wood smoky flavor that I've never gotten on charcoal or even in restaurants with professional pitmasters and all. I did phone Traeger when I was putting the grill together and doing the 1st burn in, there were humans there (!) and they were knowledgeable and helpful on the 1st time.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I had a PTG + Pellet Grill the first table top model they had, had it for 1 yr. I the paint started to bubbling up in the hopper just above auger. Called Traeger. Sent pictures. Was told to scrap and sand paint off, that it would be OK. I had told them that I had bought it from Costco. At that point was told to return it back to Costco, they have a forever warranty, I did got full refund. What happened to Traeger's 3 warranty?? So I was out a grill, did I buy another Traeger grill?? NO! Liked the grill but 1 star because of customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Traeger Wood Fired Grills?

Original review: May 20, 2019

Will not Stay on!!! Not even 3 months old! Very disappointed. Took a lot of courage to spend $700 on a grill, but thought my Husband was worth it. Grill only worked for a few months. Mine has not been worth the money. Customer service will not answer!!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I bought the Timberline 1300 about 2 years ago. It never worked! We spent over 30 hr on the phone with Traeger and replacing parts. We never got it to work and Traeger did not know anyone in our area that could come out and fix!!! Since then I've bought 2 other smokers. They work great! I saw a representative at Costco who tried to sell me a grill. I told him my situation and he said "I guess you can sell it. For parts." Really!!! Not only does your smoker suck. Your employees do too. Debbie **.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I purchased a Pro Series 22. About the 3rd time I used it, I got a LEF or LER code. Not realizing what it was I tried to turn it on again and the Traeger got on fire. I figured it was a fluke and continued to try and use it. I have gotten that code several more times and I have called customer service 4-5 times. They sent me a new controller and that did not help. I have now been told there is a part, but it is on back order that might help. In the meantime I am to remove everything on the grill, clean out the pot and then turn it back on. WOW THAT IS HOW I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO BBQ! I have sent them a message I want a refund or a new Traeger, but that is not going to happen. What kind of company does not try to make their customers satisfied? I guess Traeger does as I have read all of these reviews.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I bought a Traeger Pro 34 from our local True Value on April 20 2019. Used it two times worked great but on April 30th it would not operate. Went online and followed online troubleshooting videos and narrowed down to faulty controller. Called customer service on May 1st and after 45 min on the phone was told a new controller would be shipped and we would be notified. No shipping notification came through so after a few day check back in.

Second agent advised it had not shipped but he would push it through. Couple days later the third agent told me the same story. On May 10th I called to check status and after explaining situation to fourth agent “John” he became very rude. So long story short I have a $900 planter on my deck. I could purchase a new controller online but do not feel I should have to being the smoker is now less than a month old. I have spent more time on hold than smoking meat at this point.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have had a Traeger for 10 years and loved it. Purchased a new one this year and on its first use it wasn’t cooking. I put in two oven thermometers and found the temperature was off by 75 degrees. I called Traeger and after spending an hour on the phone (mostly on hold) was told there is nothing wrong with the Traeger because I must have been taking the temperature wrong and they don’t know why the food wasn’t cooking?!?! They even said maybe it was the recipe!! Truly amazing.

These Were once great grills but they are now being made overseas and don’t seem to have working parts. The customer device seems useless. What a shame such a good product is now something I would want to avoid. I spent almost a thousand dollars on this a week ago and am now being told it won’t cook because they don’t know why. I recommend you buy another brand.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I purchased a Traeger Grill in March of 2018 from Ace Hardware. The grill has not worked since I purchased. The problem I have is it does not get hot. If you want to grill burgers or steaks you need to wait an hour to get up to 350 degrees which isn't hot enough to get a sear and the temp just drops down. I talked with 3 service people last year who told me to clean the fire pot, clean the probe, change the pellets, and figured I wasn't getting anywhere. This year I called service 4 times and sent 3 emails to service. I was suppose to get a new probe 3 emails ago, but it did not show up. I am very unhappy with their service. They say they have a 3-year warranty, the warranty isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I purchased a Traeger Grill last June and starting in December I started to experience problems with the heating element and the grill component would not heat up past 200 degrees. I called Traeger and they immediately sent me a replacement part. Unfortunately, this was not the correct part to fix my grill. I called again (after another 20-minute wait on hold) and they told me to to do a closed lid start. Nope. That didn't fix the problem. I have emailed over 10 times and get the runaround after waiting over a week for each response. They tell me to take it to an authorized dealer.

I tried but the dealer informs me they need a work order. I call to get a work order. The representative has no idea what I am talking about. I call back and then they email me a blank form without filling out the work order. I instruct them how to fill out their own work order (what on earth?). Now it’s May, my warranty expires in June and no relief in sight. I am actually sitting on a 30 min hold as I type. After I was informed that the dealer I need to contact has 1 repair person that comes on site 1x per week and he generally does not show for appointments. WOW. This has been exhausting and expensive investment only to find out they do not stand behind their product or customer service. DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!

Original review: May 7, 2019

Anyone planning on buying any Traeger smoker, plan on being disappointed. I bought a Timberline 1300 last fall. Spent over $1999.00 for the unit. After using it a few times I noticed that the recovery time was extremely slow and most times at high temps when cooking it never reached its cooking temp. I contacted Traeger and they told me there was nothing they would do. This spring they came out with a whole new system that was to solve all of these problems I was having called D2 technology. I contacted Traeger “support” on three different occasions and asked them if they would be offering an upgrade for my smoker to the new D2 technology. They pretty much told me to spend another $1999.00 and buy another new smoker to replace my less than one year old smoker. I promised them that I would tell all of my friends of their sucky support and never spend another dime with Traeger equipment. Their support sucks the big one. Thanks for listening!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I bought my grill in the beginning of April. I have tried to use it 3 times, and the grill will not stay lit. I tried to call customer service and was on hold for over 30 minutes. I did that three times while sitting at work. On the third stint of waiting I was able to get through to someone. He told me that I needed to have the serial number and that I did not properly register the grill and would need to call back. I asked for a manager and was told that they all had gone home but someone could call me back within 24 hours. That was 3 days ago. I have a hard time supporting a product if the company hided from helping with a defective unit!

Original review: April 28, 2019

I purchased a $1200 Traeger grill from Costco In January of 2019. 4 months later it's dead. The digital controller is burnt up which appears to be a common complaint and Traeger Support has failed to respond to any of my written request to to provided warranty support over a $100 part. SAVE YOUR MONEY and avoid Traeger. This one is going back to Costco.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I bought my grill two years ago. I like the grill well enough but just recently something shorted out in the control panel and it melted it. First I emailed them, no reply for a week. So I resent first email response the next day asking which model I have. I replied almost instantly and again... no response for a week so same procedure resend email...nothing. At this point I’m frustrated and send them an email saying so, look at that they respond in 20 min saying they will ship the part and I should get an email to track it.

Five days later no email so I decide to call. They said the warehouse near me doesn’t have any but one on the opposite coast does. And they could change warehouses if I like.. I asked if there was one local at a dealer I could pick up... The lady was friendly enough says she will check and get right back to me. Of course that doesn’t happen so I call again and same thing different person. And no response. Out of curiosity I call the local dealer they have the part but can’t help me with warranty. I will get a Green Mountain grill next time...

Original review: March 29, 2019

While I don't do significant internet business and do my best to support my small town local vendors, I was enamored entirely with this product at a COSTCO demo. I did research comparing the ability to cook and user cooking reviews, but I failed to check about the practices of the business. The company specifically claims all orders are filled within 24 hours and shipped with an expected delivery date of 7 business days later. When reconciling my month end credit card statement I saw the charge 24 hours after the order, as expected, but when it had been significantly more than seven business days and I called to find out if it had somehow been shipped to a wrong address or some other way lost by a shipping company. No.

The order had never shipped. The company cannot even tell me WHEN it will ship. It may be me, but I find it odd a company would take money without disclosing either a backorder status (at best) or even admit they have no product and no prospects of getting the product. I would strongly suggest, no matter how good the product may perform, not buying anything from the Traeger site. ONLY buy something you can put your hands on at the time of purchase.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I purchased my Traeger Pellet Grill at Costco. Model TFS62PLD SN. 1812-FN-013***. The grill was aggressively marketed and discounted. NOW I know why. Few weeks later Traeger rolled out their new line. When it came to assembling the grill, it became obvious that the grill had mismatched parts from several different models. Among other things the lower cabinet doors are 2" too large to fit. There are parts for a grill with a smoke stack which my grill does NOT have.

I started contacting Traeger customer service 3 weeks ago now. First, I registered my unit on-line. When I contacted their representative, he was unable to find my registration... So he took my information and registered me manually. I even received a confirmation e-mail about the registration he did. I received an email from the service@traegergrills.com asking me to describe my issues. I emailed Traeger service a complete description of my problems with pictures etc. at least 10 times. Even from different e-mail addresses, so that they can not claim it getting lost in spam.

Here is where my real nightmare starts:

1. Every time I call Traeger customer support, they are unable to find me in their database. So, they ask me to register my product online or if I get an agent that is not a total jerk they offer to take my information.
2. For the past two weeks, I called their support line every other day (now it is a game for me before I lose my mind) and the same thing happens. I do not exist.
3. I keep asking for a supervisor and I am told that they are "ALL extremely busy" helping other customers and that they will call me back. After today, I am on a request #7 for a supervisor. I never received a call back.

4. From a desperation, I thought that I would contact the local Boise Idaho Traeger rep. I left three messages and so far I did not receive a call from him.

I am extremely disappointed and frustrated. I think that I would like the grill if it was complete and not thrown together from mismatched parts. I suspect that they put these units together as they were ramping up the new grill production. SHAME on YOU Traeger!!!! YOU have now lost a loyal customer since 2005!

Original review: March 27, 2019

I purchased this grill and have had nothing but problems with it. It has never worked, and I am getting the runaround from Traeger customer service. The first time I attempted to use the grill, I started it on smoke, as per the instructions. The temperature slowly went all the way up to 400 degrees, and then shut down. I performed the shut down process, per the instructions, and tried again. Same results. The first time I contacted Traeger customer support, they had me run through the start up process with them on the phone, with the same results. They diagnosed the problem as being the Hot Rod, and they shipped me a replacement. After replacing the hot rod, I attempted to start the grill again. Same problems.

On my next contact with customer service, I was informed that this is a common problem they are having with this model and the problem is the controller. They said they would ship me a replacement. After two weeks and having not receiving the controller, I again contacted customer support. I was told that the controllers are on back order, and they do not expect to get any stock for 3 weeks. So now it is too late for me to return the grill to Ace as their return policy states that the item must be returned in 30 days, and must be unused. Until Traeger resolves these issues, I would advise against buying one of the grills.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Purchased a Century 34 on 1/20/19 - less than two months later I used it for a 3rd time and the paint bubbled/peeled off the front. I called Traeger warranty dept. and was told the damage would be covered and to send in a pic and the receipt. I did so and then received a reply advising me the damage was consequential and that they would not cover it since the grill still functioned. Furthermore, I was told that I could just paint it. Not only is that a shameful response but when I posted a picture on their FB page I then noticed that they delete every single negative comment and picture that anyone posts. It’s a sad day when a company neither stands by its products nor its customers. Do NOT buy a Traeger until they learn to treat their customers with respect and actually warranty their product!!!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I purchased my grill on the 19th of February and was excited to see what all the fuss was about with these pellet grills. After 5 days, I received some accessories they threw in for free, but no grill. No big deal I thought. After not getting any kind of shipping notification, I decided to call in. The first rep I spoke to was nice, however, he could not find my order. He somehow tracked it down and said I would receive a shipping notification. I did and the tracking number did not work, and said it was invalid. I trusted that this was just a minor issue. Fast forward 2.5 weeks later and I still had not received the grill that was promised to arrive within 7-10 days. Called in and the rep was unhelpful and in a terrible mood. Said they had no clue where it was, but that it was on the way... when asked if they could verify with FedEx, they said they tried and could not. At this point it just sounded like they did not have time.

I called FedEx and found out it was sitting in a distribution center right outside of San Antonio, not that hard to find out. I went and picked it up myself. Got the Grill home to find out it was completely destroyed. Bent from all angles. When I called Traeger to just get a refund on the item, they said they would have to investigate and that would take 3-4 days and that I would pay for the return shipping. How does a company expect the consumer to pay for return shipping on an item that was a week late, unusable and provided horrid service along the way? Judging from the reviews that's par for the course at Traeger. Really one of the worst experiences I've had as a consumer with a larger company.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Bought the Traeger Pro Series grill. Got it home, set it up and started the process of curing the grill. That went smooth enough. Then started cooking a pork Butt. That was not so smooth. Grill set at 225 degrees was going along fine. I monitor my temps with a wireless ThermoPro TP20 thermometer. I had the alarm set at 300 degrees and 3 hours into the cook the temp dropped to 90 degrees. Went out to the grill and sure enough the temp on the display said 85 degrees. Checked the hopper, Hmm full of pellets so I shut it down. Removed the butt and dismantled it right down to the fire pot. Everything was normal.

I removed any pellets in the fire pot and started the grill up as per the instructions in the book. Another 2 hours into the cook and the alarm is going off. I looked at it and it was at 312 and climbing. I've seen this with my old Camp Chef before and thought I would let it just equalize. Well when it hit 398 degrees I knew that that was not gonna happen. Walked back out to the grill and opened it up and there was a freight train going on inside the grill without the train. Never heard this sound from my old pellet grill. Again I shut it down and remove the butt and clean out out the firepot and start all over again.

Needless to say I got my 8lb. pork butt done in 11 hours instead of the 8 I thought it would take. Nothing wrong with the Butt. Great smoke flavor, shredded nicely. So I call tech support and the girl proceeds to tell me that I started the grill wrong. Ok So the instruction that are in the manual are wrong. Yes she says. Ok Gives me a completely opposite way of starting the grill. Door closed on high for at least 15 minutes. Ok I'll give that a try.

So Now I'm gonna make some jerky. Ok this should be easy. Wrong again. It's 65 degrees outside and I have the grill set to smoke. 180 degrees max. Not Ideal for jerky but it will work with some adjustments. I proceed. Smoke setting keeps erroring out, and the temperature is well into the 240s. Bottom rack of jerky is cooked now instead of dehydrated. I call tech support again and she says, "Yeah you might want to put the dial on 180 degrees instead of SMOKE." Really? What's the smoke setting for? So $850.00 for a grill and I can't use the smoke setting? This just keeps getting worse.

I talk to her about the temperature swings I am experiencing on the first cook and this cook and she determines that the RTD probe is probably the issue here and she is going to get one right out to me. Gonna ship it overnight Monday. Ok well that's pretty good tech support I'm thinking. Well Tuesday came and went. Wednesday came and still no RTD probe. I called the tech line. "Sorry sir. I don't know why this was not shipped. I'm gonna escalate this and you will get an email when its ships." Ok, wait a day, no email. Call them back, they have me in the system as talking about a front shelf not an RTD probe and the probe is still not shipped. So now My Patience is gone. My whole demeanor is in what exactly is going on here mode.

I ask for a supervisor and the wisenheimer on the other end of the phone say, "I'll put you on the list." The LIST?? "Just how many people are on this list?" I ask. He proceeds to tell me that they are releasing a new model grill in a couple days and the supervisors are handling all those calls. WHAT???? The supervisors are handling calls for a grill that's not even on the market yet??? And that's why I can't talk to a supervisor?

To say the least I am totally discouraged about the overly priced, high reputation, set it and forget it grill, and I don't even know what to say about the tech support. My Advice is, if you buy a Traeger, see your doctor first and get a prescription for anti-anxiety medication because you're gonna need it. Or just buy a Pit Boss or a Camp Chef or a Green Mountain, anything but a Traeger.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Used it 2 times and stop working. Called. Was told, "Most likely the hot rod. We will send you a new one to install yourself, easy to install." HAD TO COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLE TO GRILL! Could not find fuses, took 2 weeks to get the parts. Terrible product and support, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Don't be DUMB like me. Read the reviews!!! I bought a Traeger Ranger and there were no REVIEWS to read. The design of this grill allows most of the expensive pellet smoke to exit the grill during warm up and cooking from the excessive fourteen vents located on the sides of the base of the grill leaving very little smoke for the food. The larger Traeger Grills have a stack that lets you control the smoke. No controls on the Ranger.

NEXT, while cooking juicy meats the moisture raises up to the inside walls of the grill and runs down the sides as grease and leaks out around the edges of the lid and leaves a large greasy mess outside where the grill has been placed. More juice runs down and out of the grill lid than goes into the grease bucket Traeger provides for that purpose. The problem is the design with the lip of the grill lid overlapping the base and allowing the grease to flow outside.

I SOON LEARNED that the Recipe Book that came with the Ranger does not relate to cooking times or temps on the Traeger Ranger but is for the much larger Traeger Grills, so it is necessary to experiment with the cooking times. The larger Traegers have a much larger inside area to heat as opposed to the much smaller portable Treagers that get hot faster which greatly affects the cooking times. I spoke with Traeger Customer Service, they have no plans to modify a recipe book for the smaller units. Two months later the Trager Ranger was RECALLED nationally due to a safety problem with some of the components according to their Customer Service Agents. Too bad Traeger designers didn't test the grill before foisting it on the public for testing.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I have Traeger's Elite Pro at my Lake Home and it works fantastic which is why I purchased their Scout for my condo. I am now on my second Scout and these grills are not worth the money. They say "set it and forget it", you cannot do that with these grills. I cook salmon on 275, after I change the setting from smoke to 275, put the salmon on, when I go back out the temp is up to 500. The temp has even risen to 500 when I have had the Scout on smoke. If I call Customer Service, they just say "you need to change the "P" setting". No matter what "P" setting I put the Scout on, the grill burns increasingly high, about 150 degrees higher than it is supposed to. I do not recommend this grill.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Wont stay lit/hot/warm. Usually fails in the middle of a cook with many friends anticipating something good. Haven't tried to light the thing since the last time the error light came on in the middle of a brisket for 10 people (mostly guests). My buddy who got one of the originals talked me into this HUGE mistake of a purchase. His is still working fine mines for sale though I should state in the ad "for parts only". By the way I am a non-verified buyer/owner, I can't find my Costco receipt anywhere.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Best grill ever in my opinion, when it works. I live in the northeast, so we get four seasons of weather. When our Traeger is working we use it year-round, during the winter we have a Traeger thermal blanket which does work well to maintain the heat. When cold (25 degrees F or less) the grill can achieve and maintain ~375 degrees F.

The problem is the pellet auger routinely gets jammed, ever since I bought this new. After replacing the motor twice, putting a cover over the grill when not in use to reduce the risk of moisture in the pellets and sifting new bags of Traeger pellets to remove the sawdust, still have the same problem, year-round. The activities mentioned were done based on discussions with the Traeger technical support group. To correct, it takes about 15-20 minutes to empty and dismantle the hopper, motor, pull the auger out, clean the chamber and re-assemble. I believe this to be a basic design issue with the grill itself although Traeger will not comment on this, other than ask the same questions about moisture, sawdust, whose pellets I use, etc. In the end if you're willing to put up with the design flaw, it’s a great grill. If not, look elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I see here many like me had LOTS of trouble with their Traeger. Held off buying as they're so expensive but one day the Tgr Rep was at HM Depot and sold me on the latest & greatest. Get it home and try to follow instructions but they dont match up with my grill. Plus it won't fire up and I gave it 30 minutes. So I call customer service. She tell me to undo some panel and see if wire is attached. I do it but it's attached properly. Then she tells me that my model isn't even in her system yet and it's NOT to be sold until March 2019. So she can't help me. I call store & talk to rep. He tells me follow directions under pellet lid. I tell him no direction there. He sends me pic of what it should look like. I send him back what's under mine. He's puzzled. Asks what's wrong (see above). He calls his boss who also now doesn't know what to do. And don't forget my Prime Rib is getting bored sitting on grill.

After several more interactions with customer service begging them to help they basically just wanted me to rebuild it with parts they'd send me... No bueno for me as I don't buy $900 bbq's to rebuild them... Bottom line Mr. Traeger himself is either rolling over in his grave as the management team in place fails him or, they're all rolling around in their money laughing at folks like me (you) while behind the scenes. They work to figure out how to catch up with recipes, directions, get the remote feature troubleshot, the app synchronized etc. Tried to hold off returning it but HD here I come...

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

We were going to grill steaks for Christmas but the Traeger Grill WOULD NOT GET HOT ENOUGH TO COOK THE STEAKS PROPERLY!!! NEEDLESS TO SAY, I am very disappointed in this grill after paying $1200.00 for the grill! Wish I could get my money back for this worthless grill! We did use the Traeger pellets. We do not have the "P" system where one can regulate the heat! It really sucks and I will not ever recommend Traeger to anyone! Disappointed is not even the right word to express my opinion about this expensive grill!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I'd like to start off by saying I loved the grill when it worked. I haven't had the experiences of a lot that I've read about on here. This rating is solely based on parts replacement. My unit went down the first of October. They had me replace the hot rod, controller, and the power cord. Alas they decide to send me an entire new hot box. Seems totally fair to me. They did a great job upfront in trying to fix it. Then comes the hot box. They were supposedly sending one out ASAP.

Now it is December 20th and after many phone calls to the company, I still won't have it until January (maybe). Reputable companies should have replaced the entire unit when they were well aware that they had a long back order on warrantied parts as they did know. They already committed to changing out some of the most expensive parts, why not let me grab one at a local store? Instead it appears they leave existing clients in the dust while chasing new business. I own two Traegers, and once these go out they will never see me again. I can promise that.

Traeger Wood Fired Grills Company Information