2.54/5
Based on 35 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Traeger Wood Fired Grills

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

35 Traeger Wood Fired Grills Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I purchased a Traeger Select Elite from Costco for both my personal residence as well as for my vacation home. I am now on the third grill at my residence. Traeger will tell you that they expect to offer Awesome customer service. I have replaced the auger assembly, the controller and now the fan. I can't get the grill up to temperature. Awesome customer service says it should be no problem. Just replace the _______ (fill in the blank). I don't think these people have ever seen a grill let alone use one. Costco (love their return policy) is about to get another one back. Am I too harsh to expect the product to perform as they say it will? I would think when you pay as much as Traeger thinks their grills are worth, that they should work out of the box. Well, quality control under the new management has gone to hell. Then they expect you to "try" all the fixes that might work on your own. This is self service, not customer service.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Bought a Bronson after seeing grill at the state fair, through ACE Hardware. I had it exactly one week. The temp kept shutting down every time I used the grill (five times total). On the 7th day I attempted a slow smoke at 250 degrees. At three hours in the unit again went to ambient temp. I attempted to initiate the start up cycle as I had done the previous times, thinking the auger did not feed the fire pot for some reason. Confirmed the hopper was full. All seemed well so I put it back to temp and in about three minutes copious amounts of smoke poured out, the grill had a mini explosion due to the build up of pressure, and it caught on fire. After I got the fire put out (unplugged unit and then closed lid to limit oxygen), I was able to disassemble unit to find the fire pot spilling over with pellets.

After researching the issue, I see numerous reports of the same issue across models. Apparently this is a control issue. I am giving three stars because I have serious concerns about the safety of the unit. Also, it would take a minimum of an hour to disassemble in the middle of a cook to clean the grill out and restart! Reps have been helpful at Traeger and ACE is replacing unit for me to see if this resolves the issue. They will give a full refund if I am not satisfied. The food tastes great if you make it to completion. Love the concept. Hoping that the replacement will resolve issue. But beware. If you have a unit that is not holding temp and the hopper is full, return it immediately!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Purchased a Traeger Grill 3 months ago and when it was shipped to my house, a wheel was broken and hopper was dented. Contacted customer service and they sent me new parts. When I got the new parts, they came with no instructions. The wheel was pretty simple to figure out, but replacing the hopper I had to google to figure out how to remove.

The replacement hopper was different than the one I had, which required me to remove the power cord. Got it all replaced and was able to use it. Now the Traeger unit is just shutting off and when I contacted customer service again about a replacement unit, since the unit was only 3 months old and something internally may be damaged when it was shipped, I was told that Traeger’s warranty policy is replacement parts only that I have to install. I can’t believe a company like Traeger who is suppose to be one of the top companies would not stand behind their products and force consumers to fix faulty parts.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Worked great the first time I used it. Second time, it wouldn't heat up. Tried contacting Traeger and they mailed a part that didn't fix it, and they were no help after that. Got busy so it was a couple months before I went back to try to figure out a way to fix it myself, and found that the whole metal body had rusted through in several areas. It was winter, but the grill was covered, and I would expect grills to be made to keep outdoors. Ended up just throwing it away, so I spent over $700 to make grill burgers once. World's most expensive burger, and the biggest waste of money ever.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Worked well the first four or five times I used it. The first time I used it to smoke it caught on fire in the process. Was able to apply just enough water to put it out, cleaned everything and restarted and it was fine. The next time I used it, it caught on fire again during the smoking process. Was burning the pellets up through the hopper. Used Traeger pellets both times and it was clean when it was being used. Customer service guy was helpful but didn't sound at all surprised that it caught on fire so I'm assuming I wasn't his first phone call with that complaint.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Traeger Wood Fired Grills?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I bought a grill, it didn't work, tried working with customer service for over 2 months, they lied and never followed up. These are cheap grills made with Chinese parts. Nothing worked. Look at the Yelp reviews before you buy. I wish I had!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My Traeger never reaches the temperature set on the dial. It did work for approximately a week. I contacted Traeger and they emailed a standard troubleshooting guide. Some of the suggestions are as follows: Are you using genuine Traeger pellets? Yes, at $19/bag. Are they in a dry area protected from humidity? No, they are in the hopper. What is ambient temperature? 75 degrees. Is the combustion chamber free of ashes? Yes. Is the fan running and auger turning at the required speed? Yes. So basically I have an expensive grill that isn't any better than the old propane one I had before that I have to religiously clean, and guess how long to cook something. Do not waste your money. I wish I wouldn't have wasted mine.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Cheap grill broken on arrival! This was broken when it arrived at my house. They make these things cheap and then force you to spend hours on the phone with customer service trying to fix on your own what’s wrong. This is a very disgusting way to do business.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I bought a Traeger at Costco. After the first 2 or 3 uses, it just shuts down after a period of anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. You get an error message where the temperature normally shows. Then you have to restart it. It brings the temperature of the food down and you have to start all over. I had this for a year and finally returned it to Costco for a refund. I would try to smoke a prime rib or ribs and end up having to check every 20 minutes or see if it turned off and I have to restart. Most of the time it did. I got sick of it and returned it and got a Green Mountain Daniel Boone smoker which has had none of these issues so far, although I just got it. The Daniel Boone seems way better built. For example, Daniel Boone has bolts holding the lid onto the smoker, where Traeger had some cheap screws. Daniel Boone has 4 wheels, Traeger had 2.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Traeger Century 22 (Costco) - Have had this grill for 6 months now, and have cooked about everything you can imagine on it. Have used about 160 lbs. of pellets so far. It is amazingly efficient with its pellets. Sitting here after preparing 2 turkeys for my family's Thanksgiving dinner, the BEST turkey I have ever had. I have no regrets about this smoker. It's amazing, I recommend to everyone! (P.S. I haven't turned on my oven since I got it.)

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Been using 3-4 days a week for 4 months and noticed my temp was running way too hot. Set to 225 running 330. Called they sent me new temperature probe, that took about 10 days to get which kind of sucked. Installed the probe and still had the problem so I called back and they said they would send out a new controller. I told them, "Awesome. Is there any way you can get here sooner than 10 days? I did not want to have my grill be down for 20 days when I was using it so much and enjoyed using it." The lady I spoke with said she would talk to her manager either later then talk to that manager and she said the shipping was what it was and could not be changed.

I was feeling kind of frustrated at that point and explain to her, "I’ve spent a good amount of money with you guys in the last four months. Is there anything that we can do?" She said she would look into something and call me back. She found a store in my town but I buy my pellets at that had a controller in stock and talked to them. She then told me to go over there and pick up that controller and they would send them new one. This was a great solution in my opinion because I got my controller today instead of having to wait 10 days. They far exceeded my expectations with this and I am really appreciative for them doing that. Hopefully the new controller fixes the problem and I’ll be up and running soon!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Traeger pellet stove - Used twice, was awesome. Third time no ignition. Traeger said they would send me parts and wish me luck. Cost per use at $375 is a bit high for me. Took it back to Costco. Thank God for Costco! Reading reviews when they work they're great but when they don't tuff luck!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I’ve owned my Traeger for four months. When it works, the food is excellent. However, 50% of the time the unit fails. I’ve spent hours on the phone and I have numerous case numbers with tech support. I’ve replaced the controller, the RTD, been instructed on a different start up procedure and laid on my back to check the fan. I had hoped for a set it and forget it unit. One recommendation was to stir the pellets every 30 minutes. Hardly what I’d hoped for. When the fire fails at 225-250 after 3 hours, I’m forced to remove the brisket, cool down the unit, vacuum out the fire pit full of pellets and restart. I finally returned it to my dealer. This is not his problem and he’s been very accommodating. If I have a defective Pro 22, what’s so hard about sending me a replacement? I am not spending any more time being a Traeger Pro 22 mechanic. I’ll update when this is resolved.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Just bought to grill. (It's not a smoker. It's a grill.) First time use it worked pretty good. The next time I tried to use it I had all kinds of problems. It would work for a few minutes then just shut-off. I called customer service and was told I need to clean the fire box. I cleaned the fire box which didn't have many ashes at all. Cranked it back up and the real fun started. Set the temp at 225. The temp went crazy. It would go up to 375 then back down to 110 a few times then just shut off!!

I took it apart, checked to fire box and all was well. I turned it back on and got the same results. I called to service center again but won't go into the BS they told me. The one thing the rep told me was I needed to constantly check to make sure the pellets were being fed correctly. One of the selling points was I could put my food on and just let it cook for hours without having the continually check it. If I have to do that I just as well continue to use my old smoker. In the end the person told me maybe I should look at another brand of smoker (grill). I returned this POS and got my money back.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have 2 Traeger grills and have been a loyal fan until recently. Most parts are available through 3 party vendors so availability has never been an issue except for this nylon bushing that attaches to the auger. First time I have had to call Traeger in the 12 years I have owned them. So I called and ordered the bushing and the set screw since that was sheared off when the bushing melted and failed over 7 weeks ago.

After 4 calls and promises that the bushing is "in" and will be shipped tomorrow (that was 3 weeks ago) I still have not received anything other than the set screw that sheared off. A shame since I have been a fan and have had many family members and friends that have also bought this product. Loyalty ends with the many broken promises and still no part after 7 weeks. I was OK with it being back ordered but was never informed until I called and was also told I would get a tracking number when it was shipped, never got that either. Tired of calling receiving information but never getting the part that I paid for and never received.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I bought a Traeger smoker. I've used it twice. Both times it just stopped working. Traeger policy is not to give refunds. The nearest repair company is 3 hours away and they won't provide service in my area. Their solution is for me to essentially disassemble the smoker every time it fails, about every two hours and vacuum out the burner. They said they would send me replacement parts and I could install them but they don't believe the parts they suggested would solve the problem.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I have owned a Traeger Model: BBQ 075 for several years and I enjoy cooking on it. The temperature controls are a little sensitive and I have had to call tech support to correct them but all in all I've enjoyed the unit with one exception. A couple of times during storms the lightning turned the unit on, even though the controls were in the off position. This concerned me and I communicated it to a Traeger rep who was at our local Costco. He didn't seem concerned and simply said I should unplug it, dah. I do try to keep it unplugged when not in use, but sometimes I forget.

Yesterday our electricity went off for a while. An hour or so after it came on I went outside and heard the unit running. The control switch was off but the unit was hot and running. I thought the company should know so I called them to report the malfunction. I was told the control must be malfunctioning but my unit was out of warranty, however they would be glad to sell me a new one. The control unit works fine except it turns on when it shouldn't which I believe is a faulty design or product. I believe this could be a serious issue and cause real problems eventually.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Easiest and best grill to use. Just throw whatever you cook on there and walk away. The taste is second to none. I do everything on there and use it everyday. And I am not anywhere near being a cook. Would recommend to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Bought the grill from Costco. Used it two months. All the sudden the temperature controller goes out. They send me a new one then the auger motor is turning backwards. They send me a new one. Now won't hold temperature. It goes straight to high temperature all the time. It's going back to Costco. I'm going to buy me a Rec Tec.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

The PTG uses the same technology as larger (sic more expensive) models. After initial start-up procedure completed according to instructions, I tried to smoke ribs on four occasions over three separate days, calling tech support 2-3 times each day. What a waste of time and money! Temp regulation just doesn't work. Numerous suggestions from tech support were ineffectual. The problem: When set on "smoke" the temp is either 400+ or the flame is going out. Finally, tech support told me it wasn't designed to work in humid environments (like Michigan???). Traeger won't take it back. I've got a $300 (flammable) paper weight. Glad I didn't buy a more expensive model from this manufacturer!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

When we first got the Traeger, the set up was already done for us. The design and structure along with the material used to build it was what made us decide to purchase our Traeger. Also, we had heard if followed properly the recipes turn out as planned. We have thrown many large parties through the holidays and did not lack in room for enough meat, fish, vegetables to feed an army. We are very pleased with the quality of product Traeger has put out. Thank you.

Original review: July 28, 2017

If I could give negative stars I would. My original barrel was busted. I called for a replacement under warranty. They said to damage it more to get a new barrel. I said no, finally they send me a new barrel. The new barrel had a deep big dent in it (not from shipping) I mean a serious dent. I called, emailed, for almost a month no response from anyone! I finally get through to a manager and had 0 remorse to how they handled the situation. They even admitted they dropped the ball and just offered to send another barrel.

Everyday for a month emailing them and no response!!! Just saying I'm on a list for them to get back to me. I paid over 1000$ for the grill, then another $500 for the tray, cover & utensils. They have the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. Jamie the manager, Gary (never called back even when they said he would) Celia just completely ignored me. It took a regular employee Kareem to finally help me out. This is the worst place and even worse Managers! I would never recommend this grill coz of them. I cannot believe how rude & unprofessional they are. Buy at your own risk. And on top of it all, doesn't get hotter than 419 degrees even though they state it gets hotter.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I purchased a Traeger Grill from a demonstration which we saw at Costco. Happy Father’s Day Honey! My son and I assembled it. We used it three times and while the food was good the grill never obtained the temperature the salesman stated it would 450 degrees, and a lot of the recipes in the Traeger book requires. I had called customer service and they gave me some suggestions but none of them achieved the 450-degree temperature that was sold to us. I called today a second time and was told that there are many variables such as outside temperature etc. When I told the representative, we were in Las Vegas and the temperature was 115 degrees she then stated that the wind would cool off the grill. What a run around, and no satisfaction and no resolution except that your grill is functioning properly. Do more research before you spend $1000 on a Traeger grill. Not very happy at the moment.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I've had my second Traeger grill since 11/9/13. With about 6 months left on the 3 year warranty, trying to get the grill over 350 degrees was a struggle. Traeger did work with me as we changed out the controller twice and the heating element once. But the grill still has the same issues. I bought an oven thermometer to start comparing the internal temp to the digital display. After 3 tests the 450 degree setting displayed 412 on the digital readout with the internal temp actually being 450. However it took about 45 minutes to reach that temperature (that's a lot of pellets). Setting the temp at 375 produced an internal temp of near 400.

Ok so I figured I can use these settings now and be on my way. Nope. Next two times, setting the controller to 450, the digital temp would only reach 360-370 with the internal temp reaching just below 400. I cracked open the lid about a 1/2 inch to draw more air thru but that made little difference. I did pull the fan and used WD40 on it just to be sure it was generating enough air. The cap on the smoke stack is all the way open. Frustrating. I did find that Hickory or Mesquite pellets are needed (at least in this grill) to get the temp past 350. The mix of pellets sold at Costco will not burn hot enough. My wife has grown weary my complaining and just wants to purchase a new Traeger. But my fear is having the same type of issue once the warranty runs out.

Original review: July 19, 2017

We purchased the Traeger Grill model 075 with the powder coating bronze paint. Big mistake. We found out after we purchased it that they are no longer made in the Oregon but are made overseas. We had to assemble the grill which was not a good experience only to find out after it was all assembled that we had many defective parts. We contacted them to get replacements and they sent them out. We replaced a hot rod, thermostat, auger drive motor and induction fan. They should have sent us a fully assembled new grill but they didn't. So at this point we owned an overpriced POS that we were unable to use for about the first year we owned it.

A few years later all the powder coating started to bubble and peel off of the lid and hopper cover. We called and they sent out replacements. I few years later the powder coating is doing the same thing. I called customer service and tell them it's happening again and they tell me it's out of warranty. They only have a 3 year warranty on them and that if I want them replaced I needed to place an order and pay them $ 193.00. No way in hell will I replace the defective parts because they are selling garbage.

So next time I'm in Costco and the Traeger salesman asks me to take a look at their grills I will let the whole store know what I think of the product they are selling. After I got off the phone with Traeger's customer service, I got on the phone with Weber's customer service department and ordered a replacement burner for my 24 year old good quality Weber gas BBQ and will be using the Weber from now on. Save yourself time and money and purchase any grill but a Traeger.

Original review: June 26, 2017

Last week my new Traeger grill was delivered. After assembly I seasoned the grill as required by the owners manual. When that process was completed a LARGE portion of the paint come off the bottom and blistered a large area. Also the heat shield was warped. I called the service department and was told to send photos to the service e-mail account, which I did. I received a message back telling me I would hear back from them in about one business day. After waiting 5 days I called to find out what the resolution would be. The customer service department told me they would send a new heat shield and a new Barrel. This would require me to completely remanufacture the grill. What they should have done is offered to send me a replacement (new) grill.

When I said their resolution was unsatisfactory I told them to pick it up. They then told me to go buy a large box and put the grill in it and they would have UPS pick it up. I have no idea where I will find a box large enough or strong enough to ship it back to them. They should have offered to send me a box to ship it back to them. I am sure that they have many satisfied customers but I am not one of them. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I hope they read this message and treat other customers better.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

The heating in the system is excellent and very well dispersed throughout the chamber. I get better performance than I have out of any of the others I've owned. For the quality that it is, you are really getting a great value. It's robust and feels like a much more expensive one. I have yet to see this with any other systems. It has a sleek powder coated outside, which feels very sturdy. I don't think you would have to worry about scratching for a while unless you really hit it hard. This whole thing feels really robust and is manufactured from some very high quality materials. You can feel the quality when you first open it up.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

The performance is really great and overall easy to use. I just throw some hamburgers on the grill and takes a couple minutes on each side. It's honestly the best grill I've ever had. The value is perfect. It was very cheap and it's one of the best grills I've ever got. It's very much worth the value and I'm really happy. The appearance is sleek and modern looking and doesn't look bad at all. I can keep it outside without worrying about the neighbors thinking it's ugly. I've been grilling on this grill for months and months and nothing is wrong with it. it still looks brand new. Even when I do a lot of cleaning to it, it stays the same. The durability is great.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

The performance of the grill works great and it is easy to use. It is very user friendly and I am satisfied with my purchase. It lights easy and cooks great. For the money that I spent on the item, I would say that the value of the grill is decent. I would purchase another grill from this company. For the money that I spent the appearance is fairly decent. I doesn't look cheap. I love this purchase and will buy another one if needed. The durability of the grill is great. I have forgotten to bring it inside when it has rained and I have not had to worry about rust starting on it.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

We are very happy with the product. It does a nice job. I would recommend this product to friends and family. We love to cook so for us it's a very nice feature to have in our home. The value was good. We spend about $100 and felt that that was a good price. We've had no issues with it and think we made a good deal. It looks very nice in our home. It's stylish and unique. I'm happy with the color and design. It brings character to our home. I would recommend this model. It's very durable. We have a four-year-old and a one-year-old who are always playing with toys and running around knocking into things. This has held up well.

Traeger Wood Fired Grills Company Information

www.traegergrills.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use