3.9/5 (270 ratings)

About Traeger Wood Fired Grills

Traeger Wood Fired Grills Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Traeger Wood Fired Grills?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Traeger Wood Fired Grills?

Original review: July 11, 2022

I’ve had my smoker for a little over a year and the powder coating is peeling off. I am a manager for one of the largest coating producers in the world so I know this isn’t right. I contacted customer service and got nowhere. They told me it’s cosmetic and it’s ok. I told them people don’t spend a bunch of money on smokers for them to look bad in this short period of time. Especially when they are cleaned and covered after every use. They got crappy with me and sent me cleaning instructions. My cheap smoker from Sears looked better after 7 years than this one does after 1. I will never buy another one. I hear Pit Boss has a lot better service.

Original review: May 27, 2022

Cooking on these grills is a pleasure. The wood fired process keeps the meat moist and it's versatile too. That's where the positive comments end. The grills are unreliable. They constantly break down and when you call customer service, that's where it gets wiggy. 1. They are fundamentally dishonest. They tell you one thing and then do another. 2. They lack knowledge of their own products. 3. The hold times are unbearable. One of the worst experiences I've ever had with any company in any industry. They make the airlines, cable companies and cell phone providers look good in comparison. Run don't walk to find another grill, any grill. I can't wait to get a good old fashioned Weber charcoal grill and rid myself of this nuisance

Get buying tips about Barbecue Grills delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I open the box and turned it on for the first time and got an error message. A $4000.00 grill and it did not work. The part will take a week and I have to install it. They did not offer me anything for my trouble. Why would anyone pay $4,000.00 on a grill. I was on hold for over 1 hour. Very poor service.

Original review: March 29, 2022

RED FLAG!!! No accountability from company on flawed powder coating, no support after the sale. Bought my Traeger in September 2021, top of the line Timberline 850 for about $2k. The grill sits under a cover awning, is cleaned/wiped after every use, and is covered with Traeger Cover. After 6-7 months of ownership, on the back of the grill/barrel in 3 areas, the powder coating is chipping. The customer service team is saying it is from grease build up, but the grill has only been used 15-20 times, and when I wiped the area in the back left, it was just pellet dust. No large amount of grease build up. I asked for a plan of action, they said as a "courtesy" they will send me a new "backpack," which is the detachable panel on the back, not the area that has the powder coating chipping.

The true issue is not being addressed appropriately, and Traeger is not standing behind their "TOP OF THE LINE," product. I looked forward to owning this $2k grill for 15-20 years, but if the powder coating is already chipping off, next comes the rusting. When you buy a top of line product, especially from Traeger with all their "great warranties," they advertise. You would expect the company to stand behind their product, and understand when there is a manufacturing flaw, and to do the right thing for the customer. I do not recommend Traeger, if they aren't going to do the right thing with their top of the line products, just wonder how you will be treated on a more basic line. I have been in manufacturing/retail for 10 years, I would avoid this company at all costs, great product, but a product is only as good as the company that stands behind it.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

I had an issue with my 885 Ironwood smoker. Anita walked me through the issue and answered all of my questions and order parts to fix the issue. I wish more companies had customer service like Traeger.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

First of all, I LOVE this grill. Customer service is another story. I hate to be somebody to complain, but about 5 months after having my grill the paint started to peel off of it when I was making wings. I figured this wouldn't be an issue given the great reviews I read. The wings took 40 mins to make and while on the phone with customer service, I was told the paint was peeling off of the side and underneath the grill due to a grease fire after sending pictures of my grill. How is that possible? My deck would have caught on fire if that were the case. They then told me they could send me new parts and recommended a good spray paint that would be good to cover up the peeling paint. What a Joke - to think how many times I've shared this grill with my friends. I will not be spreading the good word any more, companies that charge 1,000 for a grill should stand by the warranty.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Don't buy this garbage. Customer service (HAHA) does not have a clue as how to fix issues. They just throw parts at it that take a week to get and then it doesn't solve the problem of a bad design. They produce a terrible product and I am returning it to the retailer.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Have used twice and every internal part is being replaced. On the lowest setting, the heat will go over 400. Great idea, small, compact, and perfect for a couple. Now, if it would work. I would send back, but received as a gift and Traeger won't take it back.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

We recently purchased a Traeger grill from Costco and were excited to try it as we'd heard some good reviews from friends. First of all, it wasn't the easiest unit to assemble, instructions could have been written better. Prepped the grill as instructed and followed instructions for the 'Chicken Challenge' for our first cooking attempt. Took longer than instructions said and had to finish cooking the drumsticks in microwave since they were not 165 degrees after letting the chicken rest (also as directed). Flavor just so-so with a 'not-worth-it' end result; cutting up a whole cooked chicken is a greasy mess and takes some effort. Now after reading all these 1 and 2 stars reviews, we will give it another couple of tries with different foods, but predict it will be returned to Costco (another inconvenience since it's one of the larger models - heavy and it will not fit in to our SUV unless we take it apart).

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

I purchased a mid level grill three weeks ago. I’ve cooked steaks, ribs and chicken and everything I’ve grilled has come out under cooked. I have followed the recipes in the app to the letter. I cooked two racks of baby back ribs for 6 hours… They were tough and way under cooked. For 6 hours!.. This is not a grill, it is at best a smoker. Otherwise it is a low powered convection oven. I’ve been grilling since I was a kid, so I’m not a novice at 57 y/o. If there’s a money back guarantee I’d like to take… Nowhere near the performance and outcomes for something so expensive.

Traeger Wood Fired Grills Company Information