3.65/5
Call toll free
(855) 336-0966 Visit Website

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TotalProtect, along with its parent company Cross Country Home Services, is a leading home warranty provider with 40+ years experience serving customers nationwide. TotalProtect offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more, starting at less than $1 a day. The company offers an industry-leading 6-month guarantee on covered repairs.

TRUSTe Certified Privacy
Customer Certified by Bizrate
180 Day Workmanship Guarantee
B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

TotalProtect's coverage provides ample protection for your home. With such a wide range of systems and appliances covered, you may end up paying for coverage you don't need, but the plan options and coverage limits really put them over the edge.

PROS

• Generous coverage caps
  • Long guarantee on work
  • Great coverage

CONS

• Higher service fee

Top TotalProtect Home Warranty Reviews

03/06/2019

The technicians that came out were polite, knew what they were doing, and got the job done as quickly as possible. I've had very good experiences all the times I've used TotalProtect.

05/04/2019

I had a claim on a Sunday afternoon for our air conditioner that was acting up. I had a call from the service company at 8:00, Monday morning wanting to know if they could come out to check my AC unit it. They told me they could be at my place in 20 minutes. It can't get any better than that.

TotalProtect plans

TotaProtect offers three plan options for home warranty coverage. Optional coverage for pools and spas can be added to any plan.

• Appliances Plan: Covers 9 major household appliances
  • Systems Plans: Covers 17 major home systems
  • Combo Plan: Covers all items covered in the appliances plan and the systems plan.

TotalProtect coverage

Between their three plans, TotalProtect services have coverage for all typical household systems and major appliances. In addition, they provide coverage for several items that other home warranty providers don’t cover as part of their standard package, like sump pumps, whirlpool bathtubs, smoke detectors, breaker boxes and interior electrical and gas lines. Having this level of coverage on a standard plan really sets TotalProtect apart from the pack in this area.

All TotalProtect plans also cover rust and corrosion protection and unknown pre-existing condition. This is another way TotalProtect stands out from its competitors.

Covered systems and appliances:

• Air conditioning (2-units)
  • Attic/whole house exhaust fan
  • Microwave (built-in)
  • Plumbing lines
  • Plumbing stoppages
  • Range exhaust hood
  • Refrigerator w/built-in ice and water dispenser
  • Smoke detectors
  • Sump pump
  • Toilets
  • Water heater
  • Whirlpool bath
  • Trash compactor
  • Washer/dryer

Optional coverage: Coverage is available for an additional fee for the following items: faucets, outside gas lines, outside sewer lines, outside water lines, septic tanks including pumping, standalone freezers, surge protection, swimming pools and spas, water softeners and well pumps.

TotalProtect cost

The average monthly cost for a TotalProtect home warranty is between $30–$55. TotalProtect prices are on par with other companies in the industry. The total you’ll pay will depend on your elected plan and the location of your home. In addition to your monthly payment, you will also pay a trade service call fee every time a technician is sent out to your home for a repair. For TotalProtect, this fee is $125, which hovers around $75. With all the extra coverage and higher coverage limits, you’ll have to decide if the higher service call fee is worth those added benefits. Some areas and plans may be eligible for a $75 service fee from TotalProtect, but will be charged a higher monthly fee in return.

PlanService Call FeeAverage Monthly Cost
Appliances$125 per call$31.95 ($383 per year)
Systems$125 per call$40.95 ($491 per year)
Combo$125 per call$54.95 ($659 per year)
* Prices quoted for Houston, Texas. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing for your location.

3558 TotalProtect Home Warranty Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 10, 2019

Someone who has TotalProtect referred me to the company. There been a few bumps but TotalProtect makes sure that whatever I was calling about was definitely being serviced. That's what I like about them. They stick with you through the long haul and that shows their quality. There were a couple of times that they should not have used a company that they referred me to and I expressed that to them. They got someone else and it all turned out well. Overall, they've really been good. I had service on the garbage disposal, my refrigerator, and some plumbing stuff. TotalProtect always put someone. In fact, anytime I have a plumbing issue, I'm pleased to use the same company that they've been referring out to me. That has worked out very well.

My last experience was my refrigerator and unfortunately, I had to have four people. It was the last one that came out that really found the problem. That was really where my highest level of frustration came that I just could not believe that the incident was not found out. Each time if someone came, they said it was being fixed and it was all fine. But by the next day, the same problem was still back. But the fourth person really broke the refrigerator down and thought he fixed it. But when I called and he came back, he did something a little different that no one did before and that ended up fixing the refrigerator.

TotalProtect is a wonderful company that's why I'm using them. In my case, if something wasn't fixed, I had no problem calling back. That's what it's really all about. You keep pushing and insisting what needs to be done until you get something fixed. At some point, because I was frustrated, I told TotalProtect that if they couldn't fix the refrigerator, they needed to just give me one simply for the fact that I have my father who is an elderly senior. I am his caregiver and we keep a lot of medication in the refrigerator.

But with the way my kitchen is configured, I was really hoping not to get a new refrigerator because I would have to have a little bit more space. I was glad that in the end, the refrigerator was fixed. It was just the point in any situation, you are the consumer, you're expecting good customer service and you are paying for a service. I was just determined that I was gonna hang on in there as long as TotalProtect was hanging on in there with me. I wanted it to be done and done correctly.

TotalProtect provides good customer service. Even though I've been the one to initiate calls, I like that it doesn't take a lot for me to tell them that they need to go back to their record or go back to the file and look at the previous notes. I don't know how their system is set up and how it really works, but I think that it's something that needs to be at least at the forefront when you're speaking with the representative of the company especially if it's an incident with someone who is calling back over something that has not been fixed.

When I get someone on the phone, I don't mind giving them a brief synopsis. But I don't wanna have to go totally through step-by-step when there were notes taken. That should definitely be the direction that the representative should be looking at. If they are still not understanding or they're not seeing it clearly enough and they still have additional questions, I don't mind filling that in. But it is a good thing that part of the customer service in relation to when I'm speaking to someone from the company, it's just saying, "Give me a minute. Let me look over, see what it is." They can go from there instead of saying, "Tell me what's going on," when I've already told two or three people that.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Deborah – We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback about our service. We intend to provide efficient claim resolutions and are sorry that was not always the case. We are glad to hear that you’ve received good customer service and have been pleased with your experience overall. Thanks, Angela

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

TotalProtect Home Warranty was Cross Country back in the day which was recommended by my mortgage company since we were a new homeowner. We’ve had it since 1997. I work for a fire department and I was in the military also as a reservist. My wife, not having to do homework, would pick up a phone and just pay the deductible. The only thing annoying about them is that they want their guy to come out and look at the problem, then call and tell them what’s wrong with it so they can approve it.

A great example would be when we called the air conditioner guy, he came out and said that they needed to put in a voltage regulator. Then they came out and said that TotalProtect authorized us to have a voltage regulator and they'd have to pick one up because I was not gonna go buy a $610 voltage regulator and have it on the truck because I can’t take it back until I got approval. They said that based on our description, they knew exactly what was wrong with our system. So that was the only oddity on how their system works. I wish they would let their guys say what needs to be done based on the description of the problem.

Effectively, you have to have the technician write a ticket with a full explanation of what was done. You may say, “I sprung for the $1,200,” and they say, “Our coverage would have been we will replace the component for the material. However, the labor was gonna be this.” I understand that’s how insurance works. They say, “We had to pay the guy $600 and you paid $850, so you eat the $250.” And they send you a reimbursement check. The only problem I run into now is I have a service contract and I shell out a ton of money. Three times a year, they come out and check the units. And because I have a service contract, I have to jump through the hoops if they find something wrong and their technicians just aren’t willing because they have a limited number of hours they can spend on the job.

Since I am a huge people person, I don’t wanna submit claims online and I don’t wanna do automated phone typing, and it takes forever to call them now because they want us to go online and do it. When I get online, they throw out their vendor that’s up next in their queue. If I’ve used somebody before and I want the guys to come back out, I can’t look to see if they’re available. They know what they’re dealing with versus the plumbing company of the day because that was what it is.

But I have been extremely pleased in terms of the quality of work performed and they’ve been timely. It’s like buying a timeshare and I have to figure out how to use it. Once I figured out how to use it, I need to use it. The only thing I see is if it’s a trade service request and not a broken appliance, I'm in a 72-hour wait generally trying to get one of their guys to come out. It was really inconvenient not to have water in our house for 72 hours. Other than that, I’d definitely recommend TotalProtect. My parents bought their retirement home and I said to them that they need to get one of these. And they’re happy.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Roger, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. - Austin

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

TotalProtect Home Warranty is great. If they can cover something, they let me know they can cover it. If they can't cover something, they let me know they can't cover it, or they don't cover it. There's no ambiguity with wondering, so it is a good thing. They explain everything and they listen. They don't rush me off the phone or act like I'm inconveniencing them. Submitting claims is an easy process and they get back to me right away. The send me an email to follow up.

They also give me the number that I'm supposed to have and the referral information along with contacting the referral company, and the company usually contacts me right away. One contractor that they sent was fantastic, but one of them was not so good. Harmony Plumbing was very good. They were on time and diligent. They were experienced and they knew what they were doing. They were in and out and they were awesome.

However, the other contractor, Total Pro Plumbing, messed up my ceiling and they caused a leak in my house. I will never use them again. I'll use TotalProtect, but I told TotalProtect that if I have any other plumbing issue, I don't want that company. Total Pro Plumbing appeared to be nice, but they sent a tech that didn't have experience with fixing. All I had was a bathtub plug that needed to be fixed and that was all they needed to do, but the plumber did it the wrong way. She cracked the pipe underneath and they had to go into the wall and fix it. She caused a leak from upstairs and down to my living room. So, during Christmas, I had part of my popcorn ceiling hanging down above my tree and it was embarrassing.

I couldn't get them to call me back to honor the fix. I said, "I don't wanna report you. Please come back, and you gave me your word you'd fix this." They came back the other day, but they called themselves fixing it. They bought the wrong color of popcorn. Now, there's a huge circle like I have a white filling and there's a beige popcorn circle. I can still see the damage that they did and they got it over my wall, my laptop, my mirror, my floor, and my wall unit. It was a nightmare!

I should have just filed a homeowner's claim, but the guy wouldn't give me his insurance. I said, "Let me have your insurance, so I can file the claim 'cause you guys can't even get this fixed." He said, "Well, we'd like to fix it ourselves. We'd like the opportunity." And I said, "Okay, I'll give you a chance." They came here, but it looks like crap. The popcorn is on my walls and they sprayed it all around everywhere and left with all the crap everywhere. They were nice and very pleasant, but I'm never ever using them again.

I told TotalProtect what went down and they were sympathetic. They listened and they let me know. Unfortunately, they couldn't cover that, which was fine. I had another plumber come in and tell me that the other plumber did it wrong and that she didn't know how to do the removal and the install but did it. She was supposed to go into the wall, behind the pipes, but she tried to do it directly and she banged up my bathtub and cracked the pipe underneath in the wall.

Nonetheless, I would definitely recommend TotalProtect Home Warranty. I tell people from my job that I pay a certain amount and that it's automatic. TotalProtect is worth it and it's something I don't have to think about. I signed up with another company a long time ago and I was sending emails requesting information about the things that they covered or information about what I was paying for because I didn't get the information I got. TotalProtect gave me a welcome package. I got a booklet and it described everything. I had another company a few years back, but they didn't send me anything, yet they took payments out. I finally stopped all the payments. When I signed up with TotalProtect, I thought, "Let me see how this is gonna work," and it has worked fine.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Dorian, Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I've been using TotalProtect for many years and for the most part, I'm pleased with it and the way they handle their claims. Recently, however, I had a claim that I was not happy with the outcome. Something was mechanically wrong with the electronics in the cleaning mode of my oven, and TotalProtect sent a repair person out. He did what he needed to do, which was great, and they ordered the parts. After the part wasn't available, they gave me the option to either replace the oven or to get a buyout where they would send me a check. But since the item has been eliminated from any other claim service, the buyout certainly made sense.

I determined that the amount of the oven was marginally over $1,000 but TotalProtect was offering me $711 because that's what they pay for it. I couldn't go out and buy it for that, so I tried to negotiate with them. But they wouldn't move on the numbers, so I decided to take the $711. This was back in September this year. They said they would issue a check within the next 10 days and I should receive it within a week or 10 days after that, and that's fine.

Time went by and I did not receive the check, so I called them. They said they could confirm that the check was issued but they didn't know what happened to it. When I called back towards the end of October, it was about four or five weeks already after the check should have been issued. They said they were gonna stop payment and issue another check, and that second check was issued on November 2nd. I received that check very recently and I don't know why the money was held. I would have thought that company that does this on a regular basis would have cut the check and boom, it would have been bought. I would have been compensated and not waited 60 days to be paid. TotalProtect should've overnighted the check and they should've been apologetic. I already waited five weeks and I wouldn't have known if I didn't call to follow up.

Fortunately, I didn't need the money, but somebody else in another circumstance would have needed that money to go out and buy another oven. If nothing happened within the time period when I got the check, I was looking to terminate my contract. I have two homes that I insure with TotalProtect, so they're gonna lose my business on both. But I just sucked it up and got the check and waited for the next business. They performed in the past anyway and I've never had to do this before, so no hard feelings. They've always handled the remedy or repair and replaced whatever they needed to do. I've never dealt with a buyout before, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt that the first check was lost and it just took that long for that to work.

Most of the technicians that TotalProtect had sent out to our home were okay, but I had this plumber with whom I had an uncomfortable situation. My 10 year-old water heater was leaking then and it went off. But that's what we have insurance for, so I called TotalProtect and they sent somebody out that day or the next day. This guy came out and all he wanted to do was check my water pressure. What he didn't know, however, was I'm a general contractor, so I'm somewhat familiar about what he was attempting to do. He went outside and checked my water pressure and told me that it was way too high, which was a lie.

He said that according to my contract, if my pressure is high, I’ve gotta pay for the water heater and TotalProtect doesn't cover it. I said that was not how it was gonna work, so I told him to get the hell out of my house. This plumber never even asked to see the water heater. He just wanted to check my water pressure. His intention was to take the burden off of TotalProtect and put it on me and then deal with me so he didn't have to deal with TotalProtect as an insurance provider. I thought that was a bit of an unethical way to do business. So I called back TotalProtect and they sent another guy out who did it the way it was supposed to be done. He replaced the water heater, no questions asked.

I've had used TotalProtect for other instances as well. I had a control panel that needed to be replaced on my oven and the techs did something with my ice-maker. I think TotalProtect had the garbage disposal replaced too. The techs have been out here over the years, maybe once a year. They also did something about a year or two ago with my air-conditioning. TotalProtect has been very responsible and there hasn't been any kind of a callback situation. So except for those two incidences with the check and the plumber, I have no complaints.

The one with the plumber was not within their control. It was going on behind their back, so they were oblivious to it. But the issue with the check should have been handled a little more responsibly. I understand that checks get lost. I've been in business and those things happen. But when they do, you step up and you make it good and overnight a check and add 10 bucks instead of it going into the system all over again and having to wait weeks. The check from TotalProtect is gonna go out 10 days from now and then, I’m gonna wait another week or 10 days to get check. That's another three weeks that I'm not getting paid, above and beyond the time that I waited for the first check. But I’ve always believed in second chances. TotalProtect didn't screw up anywhere else and overall, they did what they needed to do as I interpreted the contract and their performance in the contract.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Barry,Thanks for sharing! Keep in mind we are here to answer all of your home management questions, even the ones you are uncertain of. - Austin

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

After Angela and I were married, we had American Home Shield for years but she canceled it because she couldn’t afford it. I was looking on the internet at home warranties and picked TotalProtect Home Warranty. It seemed to be the best, most reputable, and the largest. We’ve had it for six years now. Angela's air conditioner went out three times within a 30-day period and it was three different times. We’ve had to call in several times and it took forever to talk to a person at TotalProtect. I do not like dealing with recordings and doing it online. I get so frustrated. Finally, I hit a 0 to get to talk to somebody, but the reps don’t speak good English and it gets all over me. Nonetheless, they have always been nice. The way it used to work was different and I liked it the old way.

What they tell me for the last several years is they contact somebody and they give the homeowner the number and say that they're sending them these messages and I can call them to make sure they got it, and then set my appointment up and have them come out, which I’m not really crazy with. It happened twice out of the three times and we don’t know if they got the message. Also, we wait around 30 to 40 minutes sometimes to get somebody and one of the reps was very rude on the second call. We get somebody on the phone, but we can’t understand them. I had to say several times without being rude, “I cannot understand you. Could you put me to somebody else?” TotalProtect had sent a company or two out that I’m not impressed with in the last five years. They were not very business-like and were not very friendly. They didn't do a good work as well.

With the company we got the first time on the air conditioner, the tech who came out and looked at it said that the problem was the capacitor. I asked if he wasn't gonna check the Freon and he told me he wouldn't. He didn’t come inside and didn’t go upstairs. He replaced the capacitor and the unit started working, but a week and a half later, it froze up again. I finally got in touch with somebody from TotalProtect and they told me to let them call. I said that I did not want him coming back out here, so they called somebody else and they were a lot more professional.

For the first time, it was a two-day wait, which was not horrible for that time of year. But for the second time, the tech checked around and looked at the thermostat and went outside. He said that it was the capacitor up in the attic, a different capacitor. He replaced that and it started working again, and it went for about a week. Then, I went outside and the whole system was frozen up again. I called TotalProtect and HVAC Firm of Memphis.

The next morning, the tech was out here and he looked at it and said right off that he could tell me what the matter was with it and he was wondering why the other people haven’t seen it. When the system was replaced in 2012, the people that did it left a filter on there, a big round tube-looking thing, and it was not compatible with the new system. He took it off, replaced it immediately, checked the Freon, went upstairs, and checked everything. He did well and told me to call him back if I got a problem. It has been four weeks now and everything is working perfectly.

I’ve had TotalProtect for six years and I’ve been paying $49.95, which is reasonable. However, their one-time copay is going up from 40 to 60 to 75. It went up to 125 two years ago and I was gonna cancel it one time. This year, it didn’t go up, although I’m spending $50 times 12 a year, and when they come out, it’s $125. Overall, I’ve been satisfied with TotalProtect, other than one or two companies that came out.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Kenneth - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Original review: July 13, 2019

Unless you are fine spending weeks in sweltering heat and hours of conversations with Total Protect and subcontractors, waiting for your AC to get repaired, stay away from this warranty company. As a matter of policy they use crappy subcontractors who couldn't care less about your repairs. Total Protect does not follow up on the claims and it takes weeks to sort things out. Even then the repairs are substandard and break down shortly thereafter. I had the similar experience with my dryer, refrigerator, water heater and every other unit which I ultimately replaced out of pocket. You are better off throwing your money into river than purchasing policy with Total Protect.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 13, 2019

This company has contracts with boot leg contractors that handle repairs on the side, not full time. They are not familiar with the contractors hours of availability. Total Protect May set up an appointment with the contractor, of which the contractors know nothing about. They have you call and set up the actual appointment. My air was out on a Friday night. They set me up with a company that was closed on the weekend in 100 degree weather . They had sears come out. I paid my deductible only to find out that my repair was not taken of. Instead of them telling the sears technician to come back and correct their work, they set me up with someone new that was not open at all . I will cancel this contract after they repair my air, since I can save that money and just use what I pay monthly on repairs. I can get a reputable company that actually can do the work. Plus the company that was closed has bad reviews and only has 1 star out of 5.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Patricia, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is certainly not the level of service we aim to provide. Please respond to this message with your full property address so we can access your account to contact you directly. Thank you, Dena

Original review: July 13, 2019

My husband is a disabled US Vet. I set up an account with Total Protect and paid them monthly, direct payment from my checking account. For no reason, other than being told it was a "Corporate Decision". They canceled my contract. I feel we have been treated Unfairly. This company does not care and they left me in a bad situation.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Hi Carol, I'm sorry to hear we have disappointed you. I have located your account and will have a member of my team reach out to you directly to address your concerns. Sincerely- Christine

Original review: July 13, 2019

I have had the worse experience with my current service claim. I have had warranty service for almost 20 years... cross country apparently transferred my contract to Total Protect.

I had a service call in September 2018 where the service provider A and S heating and air came out filled my unit with Freon and insisted that I needed to have my outside unit cleaned ( it had just been cleaned a few months prior). This was out of the scope of the warranty coverage and I would need to pay him $110 or he couldn’t guarantee that the Freon addition would cool my house. All a LIE... there was a Freon leak that he neglected to address. According to EPA if a Freon leak is known the service provider/ warranty company is required to replace the unit as it is a EPA violation.
On June 25, 2019 I placed another claim for the AC unit and got a service appointment with Sears at 8a the next morning. Provider came out saw that the unit was frozen and said he would have to return the following day allowing to lines to thaw out. I gave him a check for $125 and agreed to see him the following day. I NEVER heard from Sears again. I contacted Total Protect June 27. They assigned another service provider on a June 30... low and behold it’s A and S heating and air again. I called to ask for another service provider and was informed that I had an appointment on July 5 and would have to wait longer if I requested a new service provider. I decided to just stick with the July 5 service appt. Provider came out and spent 8 minutes and said he needed to call his boss. I asked what is the issue he’d found... he refused to discuss and went outside to “call his boss”. Shortly afterward he returned and said the unit needed to be replaced. I agreed and asked if the inside unit would be replaced as the 1996 ac unit and furnace if changed need to both be changed to fit new specs/ freon; he said after warranty company approval they would order parts. I get a call on Tuesday July 9 from warranty company that I would be responsible for $1240 that is not covered by the warranty for modification of my furnace attached split system. Both inside and outside units are 23 years old. I questioned how much sense it made to pay $1k to “modify” a 23 year old unit that would only cost $1100 to REPLACE the entire inside unit.
I called and spoke to a case manager, Anjessica, who was fairly dismissive and said that I could not feet a second opinion because the claim was to far into the service (I’ve only had a service call) I could opt for the buy out but if she calculated the buy out amount I would HAVE TO TAKE THE BUY OUT. I had the option but it was a blind option... the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life. I asked for the details of what the service provider put in his report and was told to contact the service provider for that information. I contacted the service provider for the information and was told that it was only shared with the warranty company that the service provider would not share the information on the report with me.

I feel like it’s a complete conspiracy against the consumer and the warranty company is allowing the rogue service provider to take advantage of the consumer. I’m HOT (angry) and HOT (physically). No one has attempted to help resolve my concerns the lease of which is give me a second opinion.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Hi Lisa – Our team will be glad to review your claim to see if there may be an alternate resolution to provide. Once our review is complete, we will follow up personally to further address your concerns. Sincerely, Christine

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 9, 2019

My parents have been approved through this company to receive a new central air conditioner. Great! However, it's been over a month, we're into the hot days of summer and there is no word on when they will ship the unit to the local contractor for installation. They are afraid to contact the company for fear they will slow the process down even more or they will be cancelled for making waves. My parents are elderly. My father is a veteran and my mother has a medical problem that is made worse by heat. We have done our best to keep them cool while they wait. We're wanting some answers and resolution quickly.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

J, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is certainly not the level of service we aim to provide. My team would like to review your parents claim, please respond back with their full property address and we will give them call as quickly as we can. Thanks – Amanda

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 8, 2019

I have had this policy in place for over 7 years as it came with the purchase of our house. I have used it for minor repairs over the years. Until my current claim, I have had very little issues and even recommended the service to several new neighbors. Our current claim is for a bad compressor in our outdoor unit. We are on day 22 of no AC in Coastal NC. This is been the most difficult and timely claim I have had to deal with. They first decided to replace the indoor and outdoor unit due to the price of replacing the compressor. The Service provider received a work order to confirm the new equipment. Then they reverted the claim back to just replacing the compressor which apparently is cheaper than replacing the units. This all transpired over 14 days after the claim was placed. Now I am 22 days with no AC, waiting for them to ship a compressor to the service provider when the compressor is in stock at two local Trane facilities within 20 miles of our home. Not one call I have made to customer service has generated any answers to what is going on. I got the, no you don't have a case manager, all I can do is read the notes, no we didn't say we were going to do this or that. So so frustrating. So here we are on day 22 with no clue when the provider will receive the compressor. A part that could have been bought local and probably completed within a reasonable time line.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Michael, I am sorry that we have disappointed you. We value you as a customer and want to help get your claim resolved as quickly as we can. I have located your account and my team will review your claim and follow up with you personally. Thank you - Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 6, 2019

We are very dissatisfied with this company. Buyer beware! Our claim concerning our washing machine has been in effect since May 21, 2019 and has not been resolved as of yet, today is July 5, 2019. Our 20 year old washing machine needed a new transmission, a clutch and a basket drive. We decided not to have our washing machine fixed due to the old age, we asked for a credit instead and wanted to purchase a new washer. Total protect has been giving us the run around. They have not contacted us about this claim. We have constantly called them and each time we are giving different information. We are told to wait 7-10 days for the claim to be settled or we were told that a check would be mailed to us within 7-10 days. This company has not kept its word, we feel they have no intentions of settling our claim. We have consistently paid our monthly premium of $36.95 every month. Now that it's time for them to pay us we do not hear from them. I urge anyone who is considering a policy with them to please think twice before doing so. Carlton and Denise **, Temple Hills, Maryland

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Denise, This definitely doesn’t sound right to us. We located your account and will investigate your claim. A member of our team will contact you once our investigation is complete to address your concerns. - Austin

Original review: July 1, 2019

The home is getting older and we didn't wanna pay for everything every time something goes wrong. We decided to get a home warranty and signing up with TotalProtect was quick because they have an online thing. When I have a claim, I submit it to them on my phone and it takes about two minutes. Then they give me the contractor's number and I usually give the contractor a call and figure out what’s going on. The contractors are all good guys and are able to fix most of the things that go wrong. But once in a while, they’ve had to replace a couple of appliances.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Anthony, Our customers are our top priority, and we are pleased to hear you are satisfied with our service. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Sincerely, Dena

Original review: July 1, 2019

Called in broken Heat/AC unit August 2018 in July 2019 UNIT has not worked for 10 Months,. They use below grade contractors I had 2 contractors the 1st installed a new unit and didn’t know what he was doing and ran w/ my money. 2nd one has been giving me the runaround for 5 months. Case management office was no help and had no compassion or sympathy for my inconvenience.

I’m in the DMV area .

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Terri, I'm sorry to hear about this experience. It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. We’d like to speak with you to address your concerns. Please respond to this message with your full property address or contract number and my team will reach out to you personally to assist with your claim. Sincerely, Amanda

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 30, 2019

First claim I made already not covered. The automated system is hard to understand. After taking with the technician he too was hard to understand and I never even heard of the company before. He checked with Total Protect before even coming out that the part was not covered so I didn't waste money on a deductable. Hopefully I don't need them anymore before my year is up cause I'm done already.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Patricia, I regret to hear that your first experience with TotalProtect was not what you had expected and I appreciate your feedback. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are some items and conditions which may not be covered. Should you like for my team to follow up with you personally to ensure you received the full benefit of your policy, please respond with the best phone number and time to reach you. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: June 29, 2019

I had called ABC earlier in the season to have the air conditioner serviced ‘cause my air conditioning didn’t seem to be getting cold enough. It said on the TV that it was $59 and I thought I don’t wanna pay $125 just to have it serviced. So, I called ABC. They’re supposed to be a very reliable company but he told me it was gonna be something like $600, that it needed all this stuff and it had a leak. I thought if it’s gonna be that much, I'm just gonna call TotalProtect.

The contractor that TotalProtect sent came. He said he had to add one unit of Freon, and everything has worked fine since. And it’s been cool enough since then, so I haven't had any more problem. And there were no additional charges except that 125. The service was fine. The only other time that I had a claim that I was a little concerned about with TotalProtect was that they paid almost $800 to a Sears repairman to repair my 16-year-old washing machine. It sounds like a thrashing machine when it goes but it does the clothes. I couldn’t believe that they paid that much. But somebody told me that the new machines aren’t worth very much anyway. I also had my oven replaced by TotaProtect. My dishwasher, since they said it was still working, I finally just went and had a new dishwasher put in on my own because I wanted the Bosch that’s so quiet, you don’t even know you're washing dishes. I recommended TotalProtect to all my neighborhood group.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Patricia, Thank you for choosing us, we are happy that we have met your expectations, and have provided you with prompt and helpful service. Sincerely - Dena

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 28, 2019

I first filed a claim in mid May 2019 my central AC was not working the service man did not get to me until May23rd when he left he said it needed parts. I heard nothing for weeks I called and called finally Total Protect told me I needed to pay an addition fee for something that was not covered. At this point I was fine with paying it. From that point it still took another week to have the serviceman actually come and do the repair. He did it yesterday and the AC lasted all of 24 hours. It is 80 in my home again and all I can do is start this frustrating process all over again. Very discouraged in NY Kim **

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Kim, This is not the level of service we aim to provide at TotalProtect. We aim to provide fast and efficient repairs and it seems that we have missed our goal. I have located your account and my team will follow up with you personally to provide an expedited resolution to restore air in your home. Thank you for taking the time to share this experience. - Amanda

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 21, 2019

I have been a customer of total protect for 16 years. This company uses unprofessional and unreliable contractors. I have to go through 3 to 4 contractors before one of them is equipped to fix the problem in my home. I have health issue and a son with autism. Yet I have to wait 2 or more months before Total Protect sends someone reliable. I asked Total Protect to send someone to fix my AC Unit. 3 contractors have come to my home and the problems still isn’t resolved. The temperature in my home has reached 85 degrees! I’m still waiting. My AC went out May 15 it is now June 21 and I’m still waiting...WHY? !

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Delicia, I am disappointed to hear of the delays you’ve experienced with your air conditioning claim.My team will investigate your claim to see how we can help expedite a resolution and follow up with you personally. Sincerely, Amanda

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 20, 2019

This company I had warranty with for almost 3 year and they do this auto renewal of the service contract. once i decided to switch to another home warranty company since their price was getting increased. i called customer relation team and discussed about the cancellation process, they looked at my account and confirmed that I can get my contract cancellation without any penalty or cancellation fee since I am old customer and had 2 very minor service request. they also said they will work with their senior to see if they can offer me better rate as competitive as others, I waited for their call and replied their email saying since I am not seeing any offer from you I am making my move to cancel this service contract. now the moment i called them for cancellation, they said I need to pay penalty and cancellation fee. this shows a low standard of company since i had these discussion assuring me and thanking me but the moment cancellation request is placed they started acting cheap. anytime you see a situation like this, be careful because that indicates company made false promises and go any low with what they are promising these are low standard company and should be avoided because they will leave you when you have big service request

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Jamal, I’m sorry to hear that this was your experience. Our records indicate that a supervisor from our Membership Services department has been working on your account, and will provide an update once their investigation is completed. - Christine

Original review: June 19, 2019

I was out of town and my Air Conditioner stopped working (98 degrees outside and hotter in my house). My adult daughter and my 93 year old elderly aunt were in the house. My daughter called an air condition company who came out. My daughter called me and I told her not to use that company because I had a home warranty company. I called Total Protect Home Warranty and told them my dilemma. The representative immediately said we could not use the company my daughter called who, by then was at my house. My daughter paid a service charge to that technician and he left. After 3 hours and numerous calls from me, Total Protect Home Warranty representative got a company to send their technician that evening after 8:00 pm. The technician submitted to Total Protect Home Warranty that the air conditioners mother board was the culprit. He advised them that it was an electrical surge. I was emailed a link to follow only to find out the next morning that the job wasn't covered. I called and spoke to a Total Protect Home Warranty representative who could do nothing because I wasn't covered for surge protection. I was in raged that my family was in a HOT house for over 8 hours. I've had this warranty for more than two years, well before the merge and I had at least 3 additional families take out a warranty with Total Protect Home Warranty. I've never used the service until now and I was denied because I didn't take out surge protection. They didn't offer surge protection as an ale cart addition when I first enrolled in this service. When I enrolled I subscribed to their full coverage package (full electrical, full plumbing, etc., which included coverage for my current issue, this was what I was told by a Total Protect Home Warranty representative when I purchased the maximum plans. I didn't receive a Total Protect Home Warranty Welcome Package at all. I am very busy and forgot that they didn't send me one. I eventually called them and was told to go to their website and pull a description up and I could see the coverages and non coverages and they would mail me a welcome package. I printed the website information out and I never received a package from Total Protect Home Warranty by mail or email. Now conveniently my issue isn't covered. I feel that I've been scammed. I called numerous times the following morning for some understanding, to no avail. I finally found out when Total Protect Home Warranty implemented surge protection and I was told, by Total Protect Home Warranty representative, in March 2019. This is pure robbery and fraud on their part and I'm going to reach out to Consumer Affairs, BBB, Total Protect Home Warranty CEO/President, the media and who ever else will listen. I have spoken very highly of this company inspite of what so many people say negatively about home warranty companies, to the point of getting consumers to tryout Total Protects Home Warranty packages, but no more. I've been scammed conveniently by Total Protect Home Warranty and it's very aggravating.

An unhappy consumer.

Mary

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Mary, I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your claim experience did not go as you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items and conditions which may not be covered by your warranty. Please respond with your full property address and my team will complete a thorough review of your claim to ensure you received the full benefit of your warranty. Thank you, Austin

Original review: June 19, 2019

I called for my AC and was given technicians that were a no call no show twice. When I finally got someone to come out I kept getting the run around from the warranty company. 3wks later and still no AC

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Letitia, I'm sorry about the delays you experienced. Our records indicate that you accepted a cash allowance in lieu of the repairs. The check will likely take 7-10 business days to reach you. Respectfully, Angela

Original review: June 19, 2019

My husband added TotalProtect in with our mortgage and it's paid through it. That was a smart thing for him to have done because I don't know how many times I used the warranty since my husband passed away. I probably used it for about everything in the house now. I have a little piece of paper on my computer upstairs reminding me when I can get a pre-maintenance for the heat and air. I can have someone come in and check it. And during a certain number of months, it's free.

I didn't do it last year for the heating and on one cold day, it went out. I called TotalProtect and they had someone come in. That was when the lady reminded me about doing a pre-maintenance. From then on, I have technicians come for the heat and air. I had done for the air this time. That maintenance part is really good. You're not having to wait until something breaks for the heating and air.

I've had a very good experience with the technicians sent here. With my refrigerator, the icemaker stopped. A guy came and checked that. He had to order something and had to wait until that came in. But another technician came in and fixed the icemaker. All of that works. With the stove, one guy came in to check and he worked through that. These were all in the past three and a half years.

The only time I had any problems was when they had to order a part for my stove. Everything else always would happen within a week. But for that case, I didn't have the stove for Thanksgiving. Sears was my contractor then. I kept calling them and they kept saying they haven't gotten the part in. I called TotalProtect when I got frustrated and I finally got someone to help. I told them that I missed my stove for Thanksgiving and I didn't wanna miss it for Christmas. I asked how long I had to wait. I was a little upset. But the lady was so patient. She said what happened was unacceptable and someone would be there. I wish I could have talked to her sooner. She got involved and resolved it.

Overall, I would recommend TotalProtect. As a matter of fact, I have a support group with women who have lost their spouses and I often talk about it. And with my son and younger people, I tell them that they should get TotalProtect for their homes. For me, having it gives me a sense of security because when something happens, I don't have to worry about calling and getting a particular person for the refrigerator or a particular person for the stove. TotalProtect takes care of the rest.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Joan, We are glad to hear that your husband chose us as your home warranty company, and have had an excellent experience so far. We know how stressful managing home repairs can be and our ultimate goal is provide reliable service to homeowners like you. We are available 24 hours a day should you have any concerns regarding your claim, or any questions about your policy. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: June 18, 2019

I called TotalProtect for my hot water tank that was starting to leak. I had a pretty good experience with their claims rep. The contractor was very nice and they did very well with my hot water tank. It had to be replaced and it took them a long time to get the hot water tank because it was a small one.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Mary, We do our best to provide quick and reliable service and we thank you for sharing your experience. - Amanda

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2019

We bought 1 contract for well coverage on a farmhouse (our 2nd house)- they didn't have anyone within 100 miles to provide coverage. Our main house they refused to cove any of 3 claims for fake reason

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Patricia, Our records indicate that your claims were reviewed and determined to have been handled within the terms and conditions of the warranty contract. We do value your feedback and will ensure it is provided to the appropriate departments for handling. - Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 14, 2019

Over two months ago I filed a claim about a dryer repair. The “service provider” came out and said a part was needed. I have called Total Protect as well as A-1 appliance repair to whom I paid $125, the cost of the deductible. No one answers my calls and after speaking with a “case manager” today, I was told that someone will call me to schedule the repair. Unless this part had to be custom made and sent by Pony Express, the part should be in as their site says from the beginning....part shipped. I am a Realtor and I recommend and sometimes pay for a warranty for my clients. I use each one myself before I recommend it and you can trust me that Total Protect will never get business from me again.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Helen, I am disappointed to hear you’ve had such lengthy delays with your claim. My team and I would like to take a deeper look into your claim to see how we can expedite. If you still need assistance, please respond to this message with the best time to reach you and your full property address to locate your account. Thanks, Christine

Original review: June 13, 2019

It's been very good so far with TotalProtect. I've been with them for about 8 years and filing a claim has been very easy. I just call them up and tell them what is the problem. The reps are very pleasant. On my last claim, the contractor came and did my toilet. They were very good at what they were doing. Everything's excellent. Keep up the good work.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Saundra, We appreciate your loyalty for the last eight years and we are happy to hear that filing a claim has been easy for you. We hope to have you as one of our valued members for many years to come. - Austin

Original review: June 12, 2019

The sellers had provided us with a 1 year TotalProtect warranty for the home and we renewed it after it expired for a reassurance that we had our items covered for our home. They offered the best options and lower deductible. When submitting a claim, we just go online and set it up or call the number. Usually, the best or the easiest is just to do it online. At first, the website was a little confusing, but once I figured it out, it was fine.

TotalProtect worked for us and most of the service provided by the contractors has been pretty good. We had one bad experience with our refrigerator repair about 4 years ago. The freezer must’ve broken because we woke up with water on the floor. They came out to repair it and they had to order a part. They brought it in and the fridge was still not working correctly. We kinda had a disagreement with the repairman and we had to end up having someone else come out to repair it. They said that they did a bad repair and they ended up replacing the entire refrigerator. That claim took almost a month which was a really long time. We didn’t have a second refrigerator at home and we ended up buying a compact fridge just to hold some of our cold items that we needed. That was probably the worst experience that we’d ever had.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Gloria, We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. - Angela

Original review: June 11, 2019

They sent a company to fix my microwave and the company couldn't fix it. The company recommended a new replacement and they refuse. They decided to send a different company to fix the microwave. This has being going on for about a month. As am writing this review, the microwave has not been fixed. They are a fraud.Don't believe them.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Ben, I'm sorry to hear that your experience has been less than you expected. This is definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. We’ll be glad to look into your claim to see how we can help expedite a resolution for you. Thanks - Amanda

Original review: June 11, 2019

Buyer Beware!! I have been a customer with Total Protect for about 5 yrs. On May 27, my 15 yr old AC went out. A Sears Service technician informed me that the Freon was almost empty. He needed to call in the service job and he would inform me of the outcome. He went on to say, if Total Protect decides not to replace my unit they would not repair it. He lied to them by saying my unit had not been maintained and had rust inside and out. The lie was used so Sears would get the job with 100% profit $7,600. Needless to say, I received a denial letter, case closed, no AC no repair. I sent a complaint letter and now a week later they suggest a 2nd opinion. Too late, 2nd opinion should have been recommended when you sent the denial letter. I could write more, but space is limited. Hope you don't have any major appliances go out, they will probably use that same excuse "you didn't properly maintain the unit or appliance".

Total Protect, I was without AC for days and you only responded because I complained. Here is the kicker, I found another company to replace my unit $5,300, and Total Protect's response was I went out of the network, so my case is officially closed. In the denial letter, they said they would send my case to another level and get back in touch with me in 3 WEEKS, 3 weeks in unbearable heat and I still have to wait for a decision; meanwhile, still no solution to my problem. I'm putting it all out there, you be the judge, it all seems unfair to me. I can't support a company with these policies and no consideration for the comfort of their customers. Poor communication, poor customer service. I'm cancelling my contract and giving them a poor rating. Thanks for nothing!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Renee, I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your claim did not go as expected. If you’d like for my team to review your claim to ensure you have received the full benefit of your warranty, please respond to this message with your full property address and the best time to reach you. Respectfully, Angela

Original review: June 11, 2019

We’ve always had good service with TotalProtect. They seem to know what they’re doing, and we’ve been perfectly happy since. However, we had a little problem with the first service that came in for the dryer. It didn’t fix the problem and the dryer was still making a terrible noise. I didn’t get a response from the company that did it so I called the girl at TotalProtect and she just jumped right on it to repair things. She did an excellent job. It was a different company that came out and they did an excellent job as well. They did a thorough investigation ‘cause it was kind of a difficult thing to find out. The symptom was vibration and noise. They found it and after the second visit, the dryer’s working perfectly. As far as that call, TotalProtect was super. And every time, it’s been simple and straightforward. It's a very reassuring feeling. I’ve certainly evened as far as cost goes. I'm totally confident with what TotalProtect does and how they do it.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Larry, Thank you for choosing us, we are happy to hear that we have met your expectations, and have provided you with prompt and helpful service. Sincerely, Christine

TotalProtect’s coverage exclusions

In some cases, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. For example, for central vacuum system coverage, TotalProtect’s contract states they cover motor, relay, switches and wiring for the system, but they don’t cover attachments like hoses, handles and knobs. The contract also states that while they cover doorbells, they do not cover them when they’re part of a larger intercom system. While they cover garage door openers, they do not fix or replace your garage door or the door track assembly.

Pre-existing condition coverage applies only to previously unknown conditions related to mechanical failure of items that are otherwise without damage. This coverage does not extend to manufacturer issue, intentional damage, or damage due to animals and pests.

TotalProtect’s coverage limits

TotalProtect has no set coverage limit per contract term, meaning they don’t limit how much they’re willing to pay out to repair or replace your items. Some of the items available for add-on coverage do have a dollar limit cap, provided below, but even those are fairly generous compared to industry standards.

In addition to the items outlined below, TotalProtect also sets a $1,500 limit per contract term for repair of geothermal or water source systems for air conditioning system repair and allocates a maximum of $1,000 to repair any walls or ceilings damaged in the process of fixing plumbing issues. Wall and ceilings will only be repaired to a rough finish. However, many home warranty providers do not provide even a rough finish repair, so this service is nice to see.

ItemTotalProtect’s coverage limit
Septic pumpingUp to $500/term
Surge protection$500–$1,000, depending on plan level
Swimming pool heaterUp to $1,000/term

TotalProtect claims

You can submit a claim to request a service from TotalProtect 24/7 online or through their toll-free phone number. TotalProtect’s process for submitting a claim and getting a repair completed is relatively simple.

How to request service from Total Protect:

1. Submit a claim directly to TotalProtect online or on the phone.
  2. Contact one of TotalProtect’s approved service partners to schedule your service.
  3. Get your items repaired or replaced.
  4. Pay your service fee directly to the technician at the end of the appointment.

TotalProtect guarantees their technician’s work for 180 days (six months). If you experience the original problem again within this period, they will send a technician to repair it at no additional cost to you. Many other home warranty companies also provide a guarantee or service recall period, but it’s typically 60 days or less. TotalProtect’s 180 days makes them an industry leader in this area.

TotalProtect FAQ

Does TotalProtect require a home inspection?
While a home inspection is not required, TotalProtect does reserve the right to inspect a home before coverage starts. This is typically only put into practice for very old homes.
How do I cancel TotalProtect?
Provided no claims have been made, you can cancel your TotalProtect contract within 30 days of the effective date for a complete refund. To cancel after 30 days, a 10 percent fee will be applied per month. An additional $25 cancellation fee may also apply.
Is there a limit on repairs?
No, there is no limit to the number of service visits you can claim per contract term. There may be a maximum dollar amount cap applicable to certain items. These will be noted in your contract.

Is TotalProtect worth it?

Overall, TotalProtect provides excellent coverage options. Their plans cover items that many other home warranties do not and have generous coverage caps. Their 180-workmanship guarantee is two to three times as long as the guarantee other companies provide, and their monthly rates are very reasonable for the service they provide. TotalProtect is also an industry veteran with over 40 years in business.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Information