Call toll free
3.69/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TotalProtect, along with its parent company Cross Country Home Services, is a leading home warranty provider with 40+ years experience serving customers nationwide. TotalProtect offers coverage for appliances, heating and cooling systems, plumbing, electrical and more, starting at less than $1 a day. The company offers an industry-leading 6-month guarantee on covered repairs.

3489 TotalProtect Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

TotalProtect Home Warranty is great. If they can cover something, they let me know they can cover it. If they can't cover something, they let me know they can't cover it, or they don't cover it. There's no ambiguity with wondering, so it is a good thing. They explain everything and they listen. They don't rush me off the phone or act like I'm inconveniencing them. Submitting claims is an easy process and they get back to me right away. The send me an email to follow up.

They also give me the number that I'm supposed to have and the referral information along with contacting the referral company, and the company usually contacts me right away. One contractor that they sent was fantastic, but one of them was not so good. Harmony Plumbing was very good. They were on time and diligent. They were experienced and they knew what they were doing. They were in and out and they were awesome.

However, the other contractor, Total Pro Plumbing, messed up my ceiling and they caused a leak in my house. I will never use them again. I'll use TotalProtect, but I told TotalProtect that if I have any other plumbing issue, I don't want that company. Total Pro Plumbing appeared to be nice, but they sent a tech that didn't have experience with fixing. All I had was a bathtub plug that needed to be fixed and that was all they needed to do, but the plumber did it the wrong way. She cracked the pipe underneath and they had to go into the wall and fix it. She caused a leak from upstairs and down to my living room. So, during Christmas, I had part of my popcorn ceiling hanging down above my tree and it was embarrassing.

I couldn't get them to call me back to honor the fix. I said, "I don't wanna report you. Please come back, and you gave me your word you'd fix this." They came back the other day, but they called themselves fixing it. They bought the wrong color of popcorn. Now, there's a huge circle like I have a white filling and there's a beige popcorn circle. I can still see the damage that they did and they got it over my wall, my laptop, my mirror, my floor, and my wall unit. It was a nightmare!

I should have just filed a homeowner's claim, but the guy wouldn't give me his insurance. I said, "Let me have your insurance, so I can file the claim 'cause you guys can't even get this fixed." He said, "Well, we'd like to fix it ourselves. We'd like the opportunity." And I said, "Okay, I'll give you a chance." They came here, but it looks like crap. The popcorn is on my walls and they sprayed it all around everywhere and left with all the crap everywhere. They were nice and very pleasant, but I'm never ever using them again.

I told TotalProtect what went down and they were sympathetic. They listened and they let me know. Unfortunately, they couldn't cover that, which was fine. I had another plumber come in and tell me that the other plumber did it wrong and that she didn't know how to do the removal and the install but did it. She was supposed to go into the wall, behind the pipes, but she tried to do it directly and she banged up my bathtub and cracked the pipe underneath in the wall.

Nonetheless, I would definitely recommend TotalProtect Home Warranty. I tell people from my job that I pay a certain amount and that it's automatic. TotalProtect is worth it and it's something I don't have to think about. I signed up with another company a long time ago and I was sending emails requesting information about the things that they covered or information about what I was paying for because I didn't get the information I got. TotalProtect gave me a welcome package. I got a booklet and it described everything. I had another company a few years back, but they didn't send me anything, yet they took payments out. I finally stopped all the payments. When I signed up with TotalProtect, I thought, "Let me see how this is gonna work," and it has worked fine.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Dorian, Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I've been using TotalProtect for many years and for the most part, I'm pleased with it and the way they handle their claims. Recently, however, I had a claim that I was not happy with the outcome. Something was mechanically wrong with the electronics in the cleaning mode of my oven, and TotalProtect sent a repair person out. He did what he needed to do, which was great, and they ordered the parts. After the part wasn't available, they gave me the option to either replace the oven or to get a buyout where they would send me a check. But since the item has been eliminated from any other claim service, the buyout certainly made sense.

I determined that the amount of the oven was marginally over $1,000 but TotalProtect was offering me $711 because that's what they pay for it. I couldn't go out and buy it for that, so I tried to negotiate with them. But they wouldn't move on the numbers, so I decided to take the $711. This was back in September this year. They said they would issue a check within the next 10 days and I should receive it within a week or 10 days after that, and that's fine.

Time went by and I did not receive the check, so I called them. They said they could confirm that the check was issued but they didn't know what happened to it. When I called back towards the end of October, it was about four or five weeks already after the check should have been issued. They said they were gonna stop payment and issue another check, and that second check was issued on November 2nd. I received that check very recently and I don't know why the money was held. I would have thought that company that does this on a regular basis would have cut the check and boom, it would have been bought. I would have been compensated and not waited 60 days to be paid. TotalProtect should've overnighted the check and they should've been apologetic. I already waited five weeks and I wouldn't have known if I didn't call to follow up.

Fortunately, I didn't need the money, but somebody else in another circumstance would have needed that money to go out and buy another oven. If nothing happened within the time period when I got the check, I was looking to terminate my contract. I have two homes that I insure with TotalProtect, so they're gonna lose my business on both. But I just sucked it up and got the check and waited for the next business. They performed in the past anyway and I've never had to do this before, so no hard feelings. They've always handled the remedy or repair and replaced whatever they needed to do. I've never dealt with a buyout before, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt that the first check was lost and it just took that long for that to work.

Most of the technicians that TotalProtect had sent out to our home were okay, but I had this plumber with whom I had an uncomfortable situation. My 10 year-old water heater was leaking then and it went off. But that's what we have insurance for, so I called TotalProtect and they sent somebody out that day or the next day. This guy came out and all he wanted to do was check my water pressure. What he didn't know, however, was I'm a general contractor, so I'm somewhat familiar about what he was attempting to do. He went outside and checked my water pressure and told me that it was way too high, which was a lie.

He said that according to my contract, if my pressure is high, I’ve gotta pay for the water heater and TotalProtect doesn't cover it. I said that was not how it was gonna work, so I told him to get the hell out of my house. This plumber never even asked to see the water heater. He just wanted to check my water pressure. His intention was to take the burden off of TotalProtect and put it on me and then deal with me so he didn't have to deal with TotalProtect as an insurance provider. I thought that was a bit of an unethical way to do business. So I called back TotalProtect and they sent another guy out who did it the way it was supposed to be done. He replaced the water heater, no questions asked.

I've had used TotalProtect for other instances as well. I had a control panel that needed to be replaced on my oven and the techs did something with my ice-maker. I think TotalProtect had the garbage disposal replaced too. The techs have been out here over the years, maybe once a year. They also did something about a year or two ago with my air-conditioning. TotalProtect has been very responsible and there hasn't been any kind of a callback situation. So except for those two incidences with the check and the plumber, I have no complaints.

The one with the plumber was not within their control. It was going on behind their back, so they were oblivious to it. But the issue with the check should have been handled a little more responsibly. I understand that checks get lost. I've been in business and those things happen. But when they do, you step up and you make it good and overnight a check and add 10 bucks instead of it going into the system all over again and having to wait weeks. The check from TotalProtect is gonna go out 10 days from now and then, I’m gonna wait another week or 10 days to get check. That's another three weeks that I'm not getting paid, above and beyond the time that I waited for the first check. But I’ve always believed in second chances. TotalProtect didn't screw up anywhere else and overall, they did what they needed to do as I interpreted the contract and their performance in the contract.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Barry,Thanks for sharing! Keep in mind we are here to answer all of your home management questions, even the ones you are uncertain of. - Austin

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

After Angela and I were married, we had American Home Shield for years but she canceled it because she couldn’t afford it. I was looking on the internet at home warranties and picked TotalProtect Home Warranty. It seemed to be the best, most reputable, and the largest. We’ve had it for six years now. Angela's air conditioner went out three times within a 30-day period and it was three different times. We’ve had to call in several times and it took forever to talk to a person at TotalProtect. I do not like dealing with recordings and doing it online. I get so frustrated. Finally, I hit a 0 to get to talk to somebody, but the reps don’t speak good English and it gets all over me. Nonetheless, they have always been nice. The way it used to work was different and I liked it the old way.

What they tell me for the last several years is they contact somebody and they give the homeowner the number and say that they're sending them these messages and I can call them to make sure they got it, and then set my appointment up and have them come out, which I’m not really crazy with. It happened twice out of the three times and we don’t know if they got the message. Also, we wait around 30 to 40 minutes sometimes to get somebody and one of the reps was very rude on the second call. We get somebody on the phone, but we can’t understand them. I had to say several times without being rude, “I cannot understand you. Could you put me to somebody else?” TotalProtect had sent a company or two out that I’m not impressed with in the last five years. They were not very business-like and were not very friendly. They didn't do a good work as well.

With the company we got the first time on the air conditioner, the tech who came out and looked at it said that the problem was the capacitor. I asked if he wasn't gonna check the Freon and he told me he wouldn't. He didn’t come inside and didn’t go upstairs. He replaced the capacitor and the unit started working, but a week and a half later, it froze up again. I finally got in touch with somebody from TotalProtect and they told me to let them call. I said that I did not want him coming back out here, so they called somebody else and they were a lot more professional.

For the first time, it was a two-day wait, which was not horrible for that time of year. But for the second time, the tech checked around and looked at the thermostat and went outside. He said that it was the capacitor up in the attic, a different capacitor. He replaced that and it started working again, and it went for about a week. Then, I went outside and the whole system was frozen up again. I called TotalProtect and HVAC Firm of Memphis.

The next morning, the tech was out here and he looked at it and said right off that he could tell me what the matter was with it and he was wondering why the other people haven’t seen it. When the system was replaced in 2012, the people that did it left a filter on there, a big round tube-looking thing, and it was not compatible with the new system. He took it off, replaced it immediately, checked the Freon, went upstairs, and checked everything. He did well and told me to call him back if I got a problem. It has been four weeks now and everything is working perfectly.

I’ve had TotalProtect for six years and I’ve been paying $49.95, which is reasonable. However, their one-time copay is going up from 40 to 60 to 75. It went up to 125 two years ago and I was gonna cancel it one time. This year, it didn’t go up, although I’m spending $50 times 12 a year, and when they come out, it’s $125. Overall, I’ve been satisfied with TotalProtect, other than one or two companies that came out.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Kenneth - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

Original review: June 19, 2018

Some of our appliances were beginning to age and were out of manufacturer’s warranty, so getting a home warranty service seemed like a prudent thing to do. I’ve had TotalProtect for a number of years now. It’s not difficult to submit a claim and it normally goes pretty well when the technicians come out. I’ve had several claims over the years and TotalProtect is generally quite good about sending someone rather quickly. The recent one was when I had an air conditioning claim. It was on a Friday when we got home and the house was hot. It’s hot here in Texas and I went over to my stepdaughter’s house to sleep for two nights because it was over a weekend. A repairman came on Sunday so that was pretty quick. And it was considered by the TotalProtect people as a rush job because of the extreme heat at the time.

I had one occasion where I called about a drainage problem with my kitchen sink. I needed it to be fixed by a plumber and a plumber was selected. He came and he told me after he talked to the people at TotalProtect that the claim was not covered after all. I had to pay him his regular fee in addition to the $125, that’s now in place where it used to be $75. And I was unhappy about that because the initial person at TotalProtect should have told me it was an uncovered claim. They treated it as covered and then when the person called in, they found out that was not true. That cost me extra money unnecessarily. But he did very well. He hated to have to charge me extra because he knew I thought it was covered. It was just clearing a drain and running a device down a pipe to clear a clog.

We also had one for the washing machine when it was making a very bad sound. I called about it and someone came. They selected Sears repair people to come and the fellow came. He said those were bearings that needed to be fixed. I was gonna be gone for a while so, I said we would schedule it when I come back. We did and the person came and they had to order different parts.

The parts finally came and then the repairman came. He said I was gonna have to have somebody move the washer out of the place where it was because he didn’t have room to work there and he won’t put it back either. I had my son-in-law move it in the garage in an open area where he came and installed the parts. And he begrudgingly agreed to push it back into place for me and I didn’t have to get my son-in-law back. The guy said they’re not allowed it to do that. I said, “Well, what am I supposed to do?” You couldn’t even attach the water lines. They wouldn’t reach from where he had it in the garage to where it was supposed to be. But he attached it.

It had been a while since I ran the washing machine. So, I started a small load and fortunately, I was fairly close to the machine because it started filling with water and the water never stopped. Pretty soon, it was pouring over the top. I set it for small load and no matter how big the load is, it shouldn’t pour out over the top. I ran outside the house and shut off all the water to the house just to make it stop. And I was sweeping and sweeping to get the water filling the garage out to the street. I finally got the water mopped up, swept out, and called them. They came a week later and it was another substantial period of time before I could get somebody.

The guy came back and he understood that whatever he had done, he didn’t finish something because I had that problem. He took the front of the machine off, this time he didn’t move it out of it’s normal space, and he found that a vacuum line was not connected and that vacuum line needs to be connected to signal the electronics of when to stop putting water in it. He just re-attached it and that was it. It was a simple claim. But he wondered if I had inadvertently undone it. How the heck could I do that? I can’t even get the front of the panel off.

He was much nicer on the second visit than the first time. But it was about three weeks between when the first person diagnosed the problem. Then, waiting for the parts, getting the guy there, and then getting them back again. This was quite a space of time, so that made me pretty unhappy. But they fixed the problem and it worked out okay.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Shirley - Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thanks! - Austin

Original review: June 7, 2018

We have signed up years and years ago with TotalProtect through our bank. At that time, we had a brand new house and we wanted to make sure that everything was up to par. And my bank was supporting it so we went through it. The payments was taken out and everything was done through the bank. In the past seven years, we've had about four claims. But this past couple of years, the AC people that they sent out were not that great. The last one was very good but we've had some strange people coming out. I had one come in that was supposed to just do a tune-up. By the time he left, he was writing us up a thing saying that we needed all the stuff to work for our 12 year old air-conditioner in the sum of $2,800.

Then we had something go out on our air-conditioner last year. He worked on it and then six weeks later it went out again. They charged us another $100. So we had to fight and argue with them saying their part didn't work. We ended up having to pay it and wait for somebody to reimburse us and it took us a month to get our money back, which I wasn't thrilled about. TotalProtect should have got involved but they didn't go in to fight for us, we had to fight for our money back.

But in the course of a few months, I received a $100 check from TotalProtect. I had to call and tell them that I'm holding a check for $100 and it wasn't mine. They had no clue that the check had been written. They couldn't even find the claim. In fact, we had to go to five people and they kept switching off. But I knew what it was. It was because we had win money from the original people that work on the air-conditioner who finally paid us. But TotalProtect came back and paid us too. So I had cut up the check.

Another thing went on with our air-conditioner. It's about the same problem but the last time it was for heat. So they sent out a new guy and he was absolutely wonderful. He told us what part was needed and then said that he will have to open up the unit so that means he would have to redo the Freon. It was gonna be another $100 when he came back, but I was cool with it. I called him a few days later to ask if they got the part. He said he didn't hear from TotalProtect. They were supposed to be sending it to him. I then called TotalProtect and the guy said they forgot to send it to him. The word sorry was all I got out of it. But he told me that he will expedite the part and the technician will get in contact with me. It took three days for the part to get to the guy and we had to sit without AC for almost seven days because somebody in TotalProtect screwed up.

Maybe it's the new policy now - the people that are fixing the unit can't buy the part. TotalProtect has to send it to him, which is all fine and dandy, if somebody would go on and send them the part. And we've had four claims where they came out, worked on it, and they were done. We've had no problem whatsoever. But it is getting a little frustrating that it's always the same thing going wrong with my AC unit. And they sent me up three different people. This last guy I'm hoping is a good one so if we ever had any more trouble with the AC, I will ask for him cause I would like to have the same person. After all, he was in constant contact with us and that was very good. Having good rapport means I can call him personally and ask if he got the part.

Also, he told me that I got a very good air conditioner. While it is old, there are parts that can be bought for it. He said I should never let somebody come and tell us to replace the older unit. It's because there is a possibility of mold building up somewhere that was perfectly clean. Other than that, I'm in the middle when talking about the actual process of submitting the claim. I’m used to calling and asking to speak with somebody right away. Now they tell me they'll call me back. It's an automatic thing. You can submit it online but they never find you. I've done the online thing once, but they said they haven't heard from me. So as far as that goes, I will continue to call and call and call and call until I get a hold of somebody.

While TotalProtect is dependable and I like having the insurance and thinking my stuff is being taken care of, I'm hoping that I won't have to spend $200 deductibles when they could have let the technician have the part so he could have fixed the unit on the first day he was there and charge me one $100 deductible. Because if they continue this way, I know there are all kinds of home warranty companies out there. So now I'm a lot older and lot smarter, I can start shopping around. It's kind of a catch-22 on it.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Mrs. Cates, Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. Thank you for your feedback! Sincerely, Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TotalProtect Home Warranty?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 16, 2019

I am not going to go into detail it's going to take too long..Just that after having lots of problems dealing with Total Protect and 2 of their contractors for almost a month about replacing the motor of my AC unit ,I was told by them that I can have an independent vedor and they were going to reimburse me, after everything was done I sent them the bill ,they have been giving me all kind of excuses not to reimburse me...worst worst worst worst worst company Ever

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Nazia, I am sorry that we have disappointed you. We value you as a customer and want to help get your claim resolved. Please respond to this message with your claim number or full property address and a member of our team will investigate and reach out to you. Sincerely, Amanda

Original review: May 11, 2019

They don't cover wear and tear. Contract says they cover the coil in the ac but they denied the claim. Also, you can't cancel anytime without paying a cancellation fee. Asked to speak to a supervisor but was unable due to them never contacting me.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Carol - I am sorry to hear you have not heard back from a supervisor as you requested. As with any home warranty, coverage is very detailed in the agreement and there are some items/conditions which may not be covered. I will be glad to review your claim to ensure you are receiving the full benefit of your warranty agreement, and follow up with you directly to address your concerns. Sincerely, Angela

Original review: May 11, 2019

There are a lot of things in the home and things can go bad so I looked into getting a home warranty. Someone recommended TotalProtect to me, but my experience with them wasn’t really that great. Submitting the claim was very taxing. It’s all automated, so you don’t really try to get someone on the phone. You’re just speaking to a machine. You don’t get someone unless you really pursue them.

The technician came out and recommended something different than what TotalProtect ended up placing in the home. Two technicians came out and said the same thing, but TotalProtect didn’t follow that recommendation. So, that was very confusing. In fact, I haven’t gotten any replacement for the microwave and I don’t know what’s going on with it. They were supposed to send me a check to replace my microwave, which I haven’t received as yet. I still have another claim which I'm sending them but I’m just gonna cancel that because I’m not sure if they cover that item. They had me take out an extension that I can expand my warranty, and they don’t really cover that item. They’re supposed to be a warranty company, but that’s not the experience that I have.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Charles, It is clear that your expectations were not met. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and value your opinion. I have located your account and will complete a thorough review of your claim to ensure you have received the full benefit your warranty provides. – Austin

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have been with Total Protect Home Warranty since 2012 and have been paying a monthly payment on time for 7 yrs now. I have had very few claims with them but recently I have had several items in my home to warrant the need to call Total Protect to see if it is covered and each item is never covered according to them even though my contract states that it is.They have increased the price of the service fee so each item that I needed items replaced I accrued a fee of $100(3), just for them to tell me the item wasn’t covered. This last situation of my water heater needing to be replaced has made me think about whether Total Protect is really a Home Warranty company at all. They would replace the water heater but the fees I had to pay the service men to put it in is as much as the water heater cost plus the $100 service call. Why am I paying Total Protect??? I called to speak to a supervisor and you can’t talk to anyone who seem to be helpful or compassionate to your need, one of the supervisors threatened to hang up on me because I wanted to speak to someone who had more authority to make a decision she could not make she very rude and not helpful at all.But I will notify my colleagues, my clients,my family and all of my friends to withdraw all their services from Total Protect as well as letting everyone on social media just how Total Protect treats their client.The worst company ever!!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Hi D - Please know that our customers are our top priority, and we regret to hear this has been your experience. A member of my team will review your claims to ensure you are receiving the full benefit of your warranty agreement, and call you personally to further address your concerns. Sincerely, Angela

Original review: May 11, 2019

On submitting a claim, I call TotalProtect's 800 number. It’s an automated system and as long as I have my policy number and address, it's 24 hours and then, they get back to me. Being automated is no problem as long as the second call is from an actual person. I had two different technicians for a claim. I had a tech to come out and diagnose the problem and then, we had some more techs to come out and do the actual work. They were from two different companies. The first guy was from Sears and he was very knowledgeable. He and I talked and he diagnosed what the problem was. He called back and let TotalProtect know what needed to be done. But at that time, he said he doesn't do any installation. He said it was someone else that would come out to do the installation.

The installers were kinda slow. Also, I needed to explain to them what they were replacing. I wanted it to be of the same value and of the same kind, if possible. I had a slight issue with that because the brand they put in is called Payne and I had a Trane system in my house. Going from Trane to Payne is like going from a Porsche to a Volkswagen. The Trane I had was almost 20 years old and I’ve read the reviews on Payne and they weren’t good at all. It's like an economy or a cheap-ass model. It’s doing what it’s supposed to do but I’m looking at the quality for down the road. However, that was what was put back in there and I didn't fight it. If you come to do your job, I’m gonna let you do your job. The unit was substandard to what was taken out as a brand but time will tell on that. Other than that, they were good installers. They knew exactly what they were doing.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Daniel, I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your replacement was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are specific terms within your policy. We offered a unit which was comparable in size and function, however, the terms of the warranty state that we are not responsible to match a particular type or brand. This information can be found in the warranty booklet which was mailed to you upon enrollment. We regret any confusion or misunderstanding of the coverage provided. Respectfully, Austin

Original review: May 11, 2019

It’s always been fine with TotalProtect Home Warranty. When submitting a claim, it's fast. It’s a nuisance to have to push all the buttons, but that’s with anything you do nowadays, so it doesn’t really matter. But pretty much, they’re pretty good. And it’s easy. They had given me one fella who I didn’t like, so I called them back. They took care of it immediately and got me another company to come out who was much better. That technician who I didn’t like looked at my oven and he said he was gonna have to do this and that. And I told him to check the electronic ignition. And he did. That was when I called TotalProtect back and told them I didn’t want that guy. The representative who helped me was very attentive, understanding and sorry, and immediately got me another company. Throughout the years I’ve been with TotalProtect, they’ve always been very helpful.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Kathleen, We appreciate you taking the time to share your warranty experience. We do our best to provide quick and reliable service and we thank you for being a loyal customer. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory, but I’m glad we were able to turn your experience around! - Austin

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 10, 2019

We’ve been with TotalProtect for 15 years and our overall experience with them has been really good. Most of the time, we don’t have an issue with them. But sometimes the process can get lengthy, like when we did our garage door opener. That took a while and it seemed like it took 6 weeks. I opened the ticket, they sent out a service provider, then that service provider came out and said that they didn't give replacements. They said our unit had to be replaced and they only do service so they couldn't handle it. Then TotalProtect said that the claim was completed but I told them that it wasn't. There was a lot of back and forth for three weeks to finally get it escalated so that they would put it in the hands of another provider that would work on that. Ultimately, the garage door opener wound up getting replaced and they paid for it. The technician also did a good job. But it was six weeks with no functioning garage door and that was a little irritating.

Aside from that, one time, we also kinda had an issue with our air conditioner replacement. So, if you get into any kind of replacement or if it’s a big ticket item, the process seems to take a lot longer. But as far as just general repairs, when they did our garbage disposal or our toilet rings, we don’t have too much trouble with that. Other than that, I submit my claims online which is easy then usually, I just hear directly from the service person or I call the service person. We’ve also had good technicians so far.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Holly – Our goal is to provide quick and efficient service, and your feedback is much appreciated. We have representatives available 24 hours a day to answer any of your questions or concerns regarding your claim. Thank you for being a longtime customer of fifteen years! Sincerely, Christine

Original review: May 10, 2019

Someone who has TotalProtect referred me to the company. There been a few bumps but TotalProtect makes sure that whatever I was calling about was definitely being serviced. That's what I like about them. They stick with you through the long haul and that shows their quality. There were a couple of times that they should not have used a company that they referred me to and I expressed that to them. They got someone else and it all turned out well. Overall, they've really been good. I had service on the garbage disposal, my refrigerator, and some plumbing stuff. TotalProtect always put someone. In fact, anytime I have a plumbing issue, I'm pleased to use the same company that they've been referring out to me. That has worked out very well.

My last experience was my refrigerator and unfortunately, I had to have four people. It was the last one that came out that really found the problem. That was really where my highest level of frustration came that I just could not believe that the incident was not found out. Each time if someone came, they said it was being fixed and it was all fine. But by the next day, the same problem was still back. But the fourth person really broke the refrigerator down and thought he fixed it. But when I called and he came back, he did something a little different that no one did before and that ended up fixing the refrigerator.

TotalProtect is a wonderful company that's why I'm using them. In my case, if something wasn't fixed, I had no problem calling back. That's what it's really all about. You keep pushing and insisting what needs to be done until you get something fixed. At some point, because I was frustrated, I told TotalProtect that if they couldn't fix the refrigerator, they needed to just give me one simply for the fact that I have my father who is an elderly senior. I am his caregiver and we keep a lot of medication in the refrigerator.

But with the way my kitchen is configured, I was really hoping not to get a new refrigerator because I would have to have a little bit more space. I was glad that in the end, the refrigerator was fixed. It was just the point in any situation, you are the consumer, you're expecting good customer service and you are paying for a service. I was just determined that I was gonna hang on in there as long as TotalProtect was hanging on in there with me. I wanted it to be done and done correctly.

TotalProtect provides good customer service. Even though I've been the one to initiate calls, I like that it doesn't take a lot for me to tell them that they need to go back to their record or go back to the file and look at the previous notes. I don't know how their system is set up and how it really works, but I think that it's something that needs to be at least at the forefront when you're speaking with the representative of the company especially if it's an incident with someone who is calling back over something that has not been fixed.

When I get someone on the phone, I don't mind giving them a brief synopsis. But I don't wanna have to go totally through step-by-step when there were notes taken. That should definitely be the direction that the representative should be looking at. If they are still not understanding or they're not seeing it clearly enough and they still have additional questions, I don't mind filling that in. But it is a good thing that part of the customer service in relation to when I'm speaking to someone from the company, it's just saying, "Give me a minute. Let me look over, see what it is." They can go from there instead of saying, "Tell me what's going on," when I've already told two or three people that.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Deborah – We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback about our service. We intend to provide efficient claim resolutions and are sorry that was not always the case. We are glad to hear that you’ve received good customer service and have been pleased with your experience overall. Thanks, Angela

Original review: May 10, 2019

Submitting a claim with TotalProtect worked out just fine. Everything was smooth. The process just took a few minutes and it was easy. I had to go through their online process and call to set up an appointment but that wasn't a big deal at all. Their rep answered all my questions and thereafter, a tech came. He fixed my issue and was gone quickly. He cleaned up after himself and everything has been good since. I appreciate TotalProtect's warranty.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Cory, We aim to deliver prompt and reliable service, and are pleased to hear our online process went smoothly for you. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to provide your home warranty needs. Sincerely, Amanda

Original review: May 9, 2019

Prior to having TotalProtect, we had another policy with another company and Total Protect sounded better ‘cause it’s more local. We went with them and everything worked out really well. However, I’ve had a couple of claims that I’ve used their service and I have to call them back, or their reps don't give me the right information. Still, TotalProtect's warranty is cheaper and their techs have performed good work.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Francis, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We value your feedback and will ensure it is provided within our company for further review. We hope to have you as a valued member for many years to come. - Christine

Original review: May 9, 2019

Overall, we have a very good experience with TotalProtect Home Warranty. It was provided to us originally when we bought the home and we've had it for 13 years now. The only issue is when you have something break down like the hot water tank and the air conditioner. By the time it takes them to get somebody out and then get everything approved, you can be without that appliance for two weeks sometimes. But the customer service and technicians have been very good. And everything else, they've taken care of very well.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Daniel, We love feedback from longtime customers, and are excited to hear that overall you have been pleased with our service. The purpose of our warranty is to help alleviate financial costs that come along with major home repairs, and we hope to have you as our customer for many years to come! Sincerely, Angela

Original review: May 8, 2019

TotalProtect was associated with my mortgage, so I chose them as a home warranty provider. I called and talked to a representative when I submitted a claim for a plumbing problem and the rep was very nice. Then, a tech came, got to the root of the problem, and took care of it. The work was done to my satisfaction and I have no complaints.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Jesse, We are thrilled that you have chosen us as your home warranty company, and have had a great experience so far. We know how stressful managing home repairs can be and our ultimate goal is provide reliable service to homeowners like you. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: May 8, 2019

We have our home loan with Nationstar Mortgage, and TotalProtect Home Warranty was an option that we saw on Nationstar Mortgage. We’ve had a lot of offers from other warranty service, but we just have stayed with TotalProtect for several years now because they’re pretty responsive. Submitting claims has not been a problem. Just make a phone call and they respond really quickly, and within 24 hours, you’ll get a phone call from somebody that’s gonna work on it. From the TotalProtect’s side, they're pretty efficient. Now, sometimes, the folks that are coming to look at your problem -- we had a microwave. They fixed it. It quit working before the guy got out of the driveway, and he came back, worked on it again and again. It took about two and a half months, and then they just said they were just gonna pay me for a new microwave.

We’ve used TotalProtect on hot water heater, and the only problem I had there was finding somebody to deal with TotalProtect that already understood what TotalProtect was. And I happened to go on a plumbing job in Bartlesville, Oklahoma and told them my situation. That point, the guy at the end of the plumbing counter said, “Talk to that guy.” And his company had dealt with TotalProtect several times, so they got it taken care of pretty fast.

We’ve had a dryer fixed a couple or three times, and I just gave that one and bought another dryer. When they came and look at it, they did not bring any parts. It was a week before they got here and then two weeks waiting on parts. That was the only problem. It’s not really on TotalProtect’s side. It’s on the part of trying to get the service completed. Everybody wants everything speeded up. Everybody wants things right now, and you realize that can’t happen. Anything to speed up the process would definitely be beneficial. TotalProtect sets you an appointment really quick, but then things slows down after that. But I’m not complaining about how quick TotalProtect returns my calls or responds when I do have an issue. I would definitely recommend them. In fact, I have recommended them.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Wesley, Our goal is to provide reliable service you can count on, and we are delighted to hear we are able to satisfy your home warranty needs. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: May 7, 2019

On March 16th my dryer died. The first repairman came a couple weeks later. Ordered parts and came back a week later to install them. I left work early 3 times and they no showed 3 times. Finally returned and put the parts in and the dryer still didn't work. He said he was going to recommend a replacement. Walked out, left his tool bag on the dining room table and is still there after 3 weeks. Sears no showed twice! Was given the Number of another repair company. Tried for the last 4 days to get them but their voice mailbox is full mid-day on Tuesday. After Sears TotalProtect gave me the number if the first company that left his tool bag in my dining room.Who is in charge of communication? Sears is still calling to set another appointment because they don't know they have been replaced by another company. We have been without a dryer for 52 days. Service dept let me speak with one supervisor. They promised to call me back the next day. That was two weeks ago. The last five times I've called the customer service people just tell me no supervisor available. I've explained how dangerous the laundry mat is for an elderly couple in my neighborhood. Was told that was not their problem! New customers FAQ'S says average repair time 3 to 5 work days. Did I mention I've been without a dry 52 days!!!

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Dan, I am sorry this has been your experience. This definitely does not represent the service we aim to provide, and we would appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. I have located your account and my team will reach out once our review is complete. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. – Austin

Original review: May 7, 2019

We submit claims to TotalProtect both online and over the phone. Their process is self-explanatory and it's not difficult at all. Their reps have been good except for when we had an issue with our air conditioner unit. We had a lag in the time the repair person came out to look at what the issue was and how long it took them to go back and decide whether they wanted to replace or repair it. It was the summertime and it just took too long. Total Protect should be more receptive and expedient when it comes to claims. Still, the techs they've sent have been fine.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience, Guy! I regret it took quite some time to decide whether to repair or replace your air conditioning system, and ensure your feedback will be provided within our company for further review. We work hard daily to identify weaknesses and improve our internal processes to ensure our customers have the best experience possible. Sincerely, Christine

Original review: May 7, 2019

TotalProtect seemed like a better way than paying whatever the going rate was, seeking out contractors to do different home repairs, and paying for parts and labor on top of that. It seems like a good idea to pay one flat rate. Submitting a claim over the phone, which I prefer, used to work a little easier than it does now. It used to be that you would call and you would get a person right away. Then, you could explain to the person what the issue was. They could help set you up with an appointment.

But, now, and this goes for so many other places, so I'm not faulting TotalProtect, you call and you have to listen to a long, "Let me press this number if you want this. Press this number if you want that." It has been a little bit harder to finally get to the point of speaking to somebody. That is especially bothersome to me because it seems like when you got to speak to somebody right away, they were the most polite and gracious individuals. And I always welcome getting to speak to them. They didn't seem like they were disgruntled or that they hated their job. They were always the nicest people who seem like they were just very interested in your concerns, and interested in helping you.

Also, they usually get somebody here very, very soon. I do appreciate that rather than having to wait a long time for somebody to get out to deal with the issue. For anything that we've called about, we've always had people that are very personable, who are very helpful in explaining what the issue was, and taking care of it. They've always been very nice and easy to deal with. Everything has functioned properly or functioned as expected after they send somebody here. I would recommend this company.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Carol, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with the service we provided. - Angela

Original review: May 6, 2019

I WILL NEVER EVER USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN OR REFER THEM TO ANYONE I KNOW!!!! I have an approved work order, but the approval doesn't cover 75% of what it takes to get the job done! The job was overpriced at $6,500 and yet they told me they can't send another contractor out because policy is it only goes to one contractor, they won't let me even shop around for a $6,500 job, I was on the phone for almost 20 hours last week and spoke to 10 different reps and all gave me different approval amounts, out of the 5 managers who were supposed to call back no-one still has, they will not put anything in writing and say that they have to put in a request to send an email (even managers) and you will get a response in 24-48 hours and still a week later nothing, horrible customer service, horrible contractors, and still they have not paid out even the small amount they were supposed to pay

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

R J, I’m sorry to hear this has been your experience, and sincerely apologize that you were provided with different information each time. I’ve located your account and will complete a thorough review of your claim to ensure it was handled within the full terms and conditions of your warranty, and my team will follow up with you directly. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: May 6, 2019

I have two claims in for two different properties with TotalProtect. Submitting those claims was very easy. I would give all of the techs they send an A-plus rating too. Thus far, they have solved issues with my washing machine, dryer, plumbing, and HVAC. TotalProtect has been doing a good job overall.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Thomas - We appreciate you letting everyone know how easy it is to file a claim with TotalProtect! We take our network of service providers seriously, and are delighted to hear you are pleased with our providers. Thank you for sharing your experience! Sincerely, Angela

Original review: May 6, 2019

There were several different companies out there, and Regina chose TotalProtect because they seemed to be the most reliable. She had spoken with some of her friends, and several of them had a different home protection company and they weren’t satisfied with the service that has been provided. TotalProtect took the problem seriously, they listened to the consumer, and then they sent somebody out to take care of it, and then you pay a deductible, and it’s down the road. Also, from what I’ve seen because I’ve had to deal with them because she was not here, they are spot on.

All the time they say as to when to expect a contractor out, and they fall within an hour or two of it. It’s very satisfying to know that this company’s here. I only have one complaint about them, however. We had a service call over the summer. It had to deal with her refrigerator. I had to pay an extra $100 for the gentleman to come out. He said it was not related to the problem, but it turns out it was. I submitted a claim, and I’ve never heard anything ever from it again. Nevertheless, everyone that I’ve had an interaction with so far, they’ve been courteous, knowledgeable, and genuinely interested in wanting to make sure that we, the consumer, got satisfied with their service. We’d recommend TotalProtect.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Warren, We aim to provide quick and efficient claim resolutions, and are delighted to hear we have been able to meet your home warranty needs. Thank you for your recommendation. Sincerely, Austin

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 5, 2019

My experiences with TotalProtect Home Warranty have ranged from excellent to fair. I've had several claims and sometimes, I’ve had great results. Other times, results were not so great. While I've had no problems with the contractors, there have been untimely communications on parts that were not covered by the plan. For a claim that involved a refrigerator, it took TotalProtect over two weeks to tell me that a part was not covered. More recently, like within the last four, five months, we had an episode. There was another episode eight months ago where it took TotalProtect three weeks to tell us a repair was not covered because the issue was a structural thing on our clothes washer and not a mechanical thing.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Michael, we appreciate your feedback about your experiences, and are sorry to hear that recently there were untimely delays in relaying your claim status. We will ensure this information is provided to the appropriate department for handling. Have a great weekend! - Christine

Original review: May 5, 2019

We got a home warranty for extra coverage, and we've had TotalProtect for 12 years already. Submitting claim is fine. I do it online and I love it. The last claim I had was for my dryer. They went by my schedule, but it was the person that they sent me the first time who couldn’t do the work. The kid didn’t go by my schedule. So, they sent out Sears and they did what they needed to do. Sears was good and they took care of the issue that same day. My dryer is now working. I just told someone about TotalProtect this morning -- I'd recommend it.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Dionya, We’re sorry to hear there were scheduling issues with your service request, but happy to know that you are overall pleased with our service. We appreciate your loyalty to TotalProtect for twelve years, and delighted to hear you have recommended us! Sincerely, Christine

Original review: May 4, 2019

I brought my house in 2011 as is. Boiler needed replacement. Recently it cost me $8,500.00. A $5,000.00 deposit on 4/09/2019 and $3,500.00 balance on 4/15/2019. I paid Dempsey Oil. 5yrs I have paid you and you have never respected me. You cost me thousands. Dempsey Oil claims you refused to pay proper claim. Now I am coming after you for the $8,500.00 dollars in cash "I" had to pay out. And I never ever missed a payment to you. Your payments go directly to you from my" Bank Of America "Bill Pay" Checking Account 9734. Here are the "Cashier's Check" Numbers from Bank of America" (1):No.** for $3,500.00 dated:4/15/2019: 08:41AM.

(2):No.1386306531 for $5,000.00 dated:4/09/2019: 10:48AM. I paid the same people you sent to "fix, my "Conversion Gas Burner". And every time" over the "passed 5yrs. you failed; to properly "fix my heating system. I purchased my home in 10/2011" "as is". It took me 8yrs. later to replace my heating system on my own. And "I've "been had, a Total Protect Home Warranty for the past "six yrs. (Account Contract Number:**). What I am asking of total Protect is to "Reimburse me" the $8,500.00 I have paid out. I have paid my last $125.00 to revolving door repair men that "don't fix anything. What the repair people tell you"; and what your warranty company "does", is another. I have paid Total Protect for the past 6yrs. on a monthly bases. And I" have used their recommendation", every time. "Yet it's just a repeating revolving door. I have to pay my monthly warranty payment "and" pay my service charge"; for the same repeat service. "NO "NO "NO "NO; to" many years have passed for the same problem. "I'm done. "No disrespect", but, you have treated me very badly, year after year since. You've have statements and repairmen reports of the truth"; yet you still refuse to pay your part of the contract. And "you" "have been notified by "your "Professional People, "You contract with", and you refuse to take their word for truth and refuse to honor what I" have been paying you for monthly. And my payment"s are current. For proof: Dempsey Oil, P.O.Box 2082 Plainville, MA 02762:(617)469-4144(Service Order#:**).I am "not a bad person; however I refuse to be mistreated, after paying for a Home Warranty Protection Service for so many years, and not being able to get the full value",of it is totally wrong. I have done nothing wrong to you.Yet you have clearly cashed" every check I have sent you "for this service. And "yet, when it's your turn to pay "up; "you all of a sudden get amnesia".

I would like to settle this matter, without going to court. However", if you choose to do so, then that's OK by me. $8,500.00 dollars is a "lot" of unfair money" I truly did "not have to pay.The ball is in your court.I am willing to listen. When you decide to call by phone", "please leave a message and a return phone number and time. Please respect me, and contact me. I don't bite. Thank you. Have a nice day. "With All Due Respect". Mr.**

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Alston, I’m sorry to hear your claim experience did not go as you expected. To ensure you have received the full benefit of your policy, my team will thoroughly review your claim and reach out to you once our review is complete. Thanks, Angela

Original review: May 4, 2019

My experience with TotalProtect has been excellent. Their reps have been very quick to respond and I have no complaints about who they send out. Most recently, I had a claim on a Sunday afternoon for our air conditioner that was acting up. I had a call from the service company at 8:00, Monday morning wanting to know if they could come out to check my AC unit it. They told me they could be at my place in 20 minutes. It can't get any better than that.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Dennis, We appreciate you taking the time to share your claim experiences! We try our best to provide quick and reliable service and are pleased to hear that this has been your experience. Sincerely, Angela

Original review: May 4, 2019

TotalProtect is great, and we’ve been a customer for many years. They were a deal that was too good to refuse when our mortgage company offered it to us. Submitting a claim to them over the phone has been excellent. We were then given a time and the contractors were punctual. They were terrific, and they took care of the job immediately. The quality of work provided is excellent, too.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Maurice, We aim to provide quick and efficient claim resolutions, and are delighted to hear we have been able to exceed your home warranty needs. We appreciate feedback from longtime customers, and would like to thank you for sharing your experience. - Austin

Original review: May 3, 2019

When I moved to my new residence in Washington in 2010, I was looking for home warranties, and came upon TotalProtect. I liked the cost of their warranty so I went with them for peace of mine. If you have routine repairs, rather than having to go for a total out of pocket, it's good to have the home warranty. Most recently, I had to have repairs done on a washing machine and it was very efficient. I did the claim process online and it just flowed. It was a really smooth process and it was very efficient. I had a claims individual contact me with the detail, the same day, and it went really well. The techs who came thereafter were professional and they did an excellent job. Overall, I've been really pleased with TotalProtect's service when I reach out to them. Also, I really appreciate since that I have had them for a period of time, my premiums have not gone up. Having them has been an excellent experience. I recommend TotalProtect to others.

TotalProtect Home Warranty response

Debra, I’m glad we met your expectations! We aim to provide excellent service and to help alleviate the financial burden of costly repairs within your home. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate it! – Austin

TotalProtect Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

TotalProtect Home Warranty, headquartered in Sunrise, Florida, is part of the Cross Country Home Services, Inc. family of home-related companies, which has been in business since 1980. TotalProtect offers three different plan options, so consumers can select which systems or appliances they want covered.

• Guarantee of work: Unlike most home warranty companies, TotalProtect Home Warranty provides an 180-day guarantee on all service work provided under their warranty policy, so consumers have six months to follow-up on service calls if the results were unsatisfactory.

• Service providers: TotalProtect has 40,000 screened service providers around the country. In addition, consumers are surveyed after every service call and their comments are included in the company’s “Dynamic Vendor Rating System.”

• Price options: Consumers can choose to pay $75, $100 or $125 for each service call. The monthly premium will be lower if customers select a higher service call fee, which the company refers to as a deductible.

• Customer service: TotalProtect customers with questions about their policy or who need to request service can reach a U.S.-based customer service representative 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Representatives are available 365 days a year.

• Limit amounts: The total limit for claims on the least costly policy is $10,000 and the limit per appliance on that policy is $1,500; higher limits apply on other policies.

• Best for: first-time buyers, home sellers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

TotalProtect Home Warranty Company Information