ServicePlus Home Warranty

ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

1.2/5 (55 ratings)
ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

About ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers two home warranty plans for customers to choose from. Coverage is available for major systems and appliances regardless of age, make or model. Technicians are prescreened for licensing and insurance to take care of major replacements and repairs.

Pros

• Free online quote
  • Add-on coverage options
  • Large network of technicians

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Some complaints about support

Bottom Line

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers competitive home warranty services. Between its two plans and add-ons, THP can provide coverage for most major systems and household appliances. However, availability and costs vary by location.

Top ServicePlus Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… The price was right. It was a good deal… there's an online process to use. I like online stuff. It’s easy for me to do. I sent in the claim when I had a lone circuit breaker in ...

Verified

The agent was very helpful in describing the plan. What the plan covered and the term and cost. He gave the information on a five year plan and a three year plan. All the plans so...

ServicePlus Home Warranty plans

Depending on the warranty plan you select, ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage can include a mix of systems and appliances. The Gold plan covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers. Platinum coverage includes 20 major home systems and appliances. Additional coverages are available, including for pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems.

Gold plan

Total Home Protection’s Gold plan provides coverage for basic systems and appliances:

• Plumbing system
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Platinum plan

The Platinum plan covers everything in the Gold plan, plus your air conditioning system, clothes washer and dryer, heating system and refrigerator.

• Air conditioning system
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Optional coverage

Extra coverages are also available for those who want further protection.

• Pools and spas
  • Additional heating system
  • Additional water heater
  • Additional garage door opener

ServicePlus Home Warranty costs

Plans generally range from $53.67 per month to $60.33 per month. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost estimate is to request a quote from ServicePlus Home Warranty.

ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Preexisting conditions are not covered, which is standard on most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage.

For example, while air conditioning systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided, according to a sample service agreement. With appliances, you often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage.

A home warranty contract with THP may also include dollar amount caps, or coverage limits, so it’s important to read the agreement carefully.

ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage limits

ServicePlus Home Warranty places coverage limits on certain items (see below). If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the costs yourself.

ServicePlus per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, it has coverage limits per item in certain areas. This is the maximum dollar amount the company will pay out per contract term for specific items.

If a claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

ItemServicePlus coverage limit*
Plumbing and electrical$500
Water heater$500
Whirlpool bathtub, spa/pool$500
Ceiling/exhaust fan$400
Septic tank pumping$200
Refrigerator ice maker$200

*For access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement (per contract term)

ServicePlus Home Warranty FAQ

Does ServicePlus have a waiting period?
Yes, coverage kicks in 30 days after enrollment. In certain circumstances, ServicePlus may waive the waiting period.
Where is ServicePlus available?
ServicePlus offers service contracts in all states except for California and Nevada.
How do I request service from ServicePlus?
You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the ServicePlus claims department toll-free.
  1. Submit your claim to ServicePlus.
  2. ServicePlus assigns one of its approved local contractors to your case within two business days (four days on weekends and holidays).
  3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
  4. You will pay your trade service call fee (specified in your contract; $75 is standard).

ServicePlus guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, ServicePlus will send a technician to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Can I cancel ServicePlus?
Yes. If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund for the remainder of the contract, minus a $50 administrative fee for each unused term.
Is there a limit on the number of claims?
There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar caps on covered items per contract term.
What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
If Service Plus cannot repair a covered item, it will provide a replacement under your contract’s terms. The company may offer a cash payout instead.

Is ServicePlus Home Warranty legit?

ServicePlus Home Warranty is a legitimate home warranty company. It offers plenty of coverage options for homebuyers and sellers. Monthly costs are in line with the industry average, and it has a below-average service call fee, which is why we think the company is worth considering. It could be an especially good choice for those who like the idea of managing their account and claims online.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ServicePlus Home Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Terrific interaction from Service plus when booking the home visit throughout the day of service. Jerry did a fantastic task fixing my central vacuum as well as was really professional. Very advise Solution And also for your fixing needs.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

'Service plus' was a great choice we've made. They came very quickly at my request. My heating system break down and freezing temperature. I got my heat up same day. I think we got a really good deal.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Jesse ** was my point of contact with Total Home Protection. He was very friendly, professional and knowledgeable about my home protection policy. All my questions and concerns were answered. He is a great asset to your company! I am looking forward to having my home repairs covered again after a horrible experience with "Choice Home Warranty".

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Just signed up, so all I can speak to is the agent's performance. George gave me all the options available attempting to reduce the monthly costs and answered all my questions about the coverage and program. So far so good.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: June 16, 2022

I took a homeowners policy a year back and have not used it. Then I used it to raise a claim on 06/03. The technician came to inspect the microwave on 06/08 and I haven't heard back since. I called up total home protection multiple times and always got kept on long hold. Two time successfully I got through, the agents had the same answer that they have not received diagnosis and are following up. Then I contacted the technician directly and he confirmed that he had sent over the diagnosis on 06/10 itself. I have been trying to follow up and I get placed on hold indefinitely and I receive no call back. I am terribly disappointed with the service. Thank goodness this wasn't some A/C failure during peak of summer.

Original review: June 2, 2022

I placed a service call on 5/27/2022 and until 6/1/2022 I did not heard anything from them except an email indicating that we will not service this because it's pre existing. I called several time and after long time wait I was answered with bad attitude and I felt I was misguided and misleaded by the sales person and customer service department. I will never recommend this company to anyone in future and I will file complaint with BBB. This is the worst business behavior and I am very unhappy and dissatisfied with Service Plus Home Warranty Company.

Original review: May 31, 2022

The worst experience I've ever had dealing with any company. I have been waiting 10 + months on a check and each time I call I get told by the representative that they will put a note through to escalation to get a check out to me immediately. Month after month I wait and no check, but they surely can draft the money out of my account month after month. Here's the kicker... If you cancel your contract you don't get the money from your claim... even though you've been waiting on it for months.

I was a paying customer when the claim was filed, but get this...you have to continue to be a customer to get paid on a claim you filed almost a year earlier. They are hoping you get tired of the run around you will surely get and cancel so that they don't have to pay your claim. However, eventually, they will offer you the option to use that money towards your monthly service fee... to keep you as a customer and not have to pay out the claim. Because all of us enjoy paying money for a non-existent service and a non-existent warranty that is in one word USELESS! It appears to me that they have found a loophole to a legal SCAM! Buyer beware... Stay away!

Original review: March 24, 2022

I bought 3 platinum plans for my three houses for 5 years. I’ve had submitted 4 claims with this company since 2020 till now, that haven’t been taken care of. They denied all my claims. They told me to go ahead buy my counter top range and they will send me $300 back in June 2021 for my counter top stove and all the rest was denied due to wear and tear and was old. I spoke with them again last week and they told me due to covid they didn’t have anyone to cut the checks! That’s crap!!! It’s been almost a year! So far they haven’t pay for any of my claims.

Last week I put another claim for my furnace. They call me back and told me it’s denied because it’s too old. I told them, why would I paid so much for my warranty if nothing is covered, they always make an excuse not to pay their customers. I’m not the only one they scam money out of. I paid for the platinum plan for 5 years of warranty. Service Plus closed out all my claims but still I haven’t seen a dime. Do not buy any home warranty from this company. They’re thieves and scammers. They’ll lie and promised this and that but don’t trust them. Service Plus Home Warranty company is not reputable and scams customers out of their hard earned money. Do not buy any home warranty from Service Plus Home Warranty!!! Believe me, I have proof! I got scammed out of almost $5000.00 that I could of use to pay for my claims that they denied.

Original review: March 16, 2022

After advertising 'if we can't repair it we will replace it' which draws you in and then my refrigerator freezer fan went down and I filed a claim, they came and looked and I didn't hear back from them so I called and they told me they couldn't get the part, even though I found many places online myself! They then told me it had to come straight from the manufacturer! I told them that as of the year of the fridge the parts were probably sold to third party parts places! What makes the difference as long as my freezer gets fixed??? If a part goes bad on my car, NAPA or Autozone parts fix it just fine and probably cheaper! They still refused and I've been without a freezer! They told me they couldn't fix it so I said per your ad then you should replace it and they again refused! Scam company and I will be filing suit with the attorney general's office and I recommend you do the same.

Original review: March 13, 2022

I’ve had a 3 of claims, **, **, and ** that haven’t been taken care of. Supposedly checks for $200 for each have been submitted to me for close out but still haven’t seen a dime. You provide very weak customer service and are not good at communication.

ServicePlus Home Warranty Company Information