2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
ServicePlus Home Warranty

3.2/5 (385 ratings)
ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

About ServicePlus (Formerly Total Home Protection)

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers two home warranty plans for customers to choose from. Coverage is available for major systems and appliances regardless of age, make or model. Technicians are prescreened for licensing and insurance to take care of major replacements and repairs.

Pros

• Free online quote
  • Add-on coverage options
  • Large network of technicians

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Some complaints about support

Bottom Line

ServicePlus Home Warranty offers competitive home warranty services. Between its two plans and add-ons, THP can provide coverage for most major systems and household appliances. However, availability and costs vary by location.

Top ServicePlus Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… The price was right. It was a good deal… there's an online process to use. I like online stuff. It’s easy for me to do. I sent in the claim when I had a lone circuit breaker in ...

Verified

The agent was very helpful in describing the plan. What the plan covered and the term and cost. He gave the information on a five year plan and a three year plan. All the plans so...

ServicePlus Home Warranty plans

Depending on the warranty plan you select, ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage can include a mix of systems and appliances. The Gold plan covers 15 items, including systems like plumbing and appliances like dishwashers. Platinum coverage includes 20 major home systems and appliances. Additional coverages are available, including for pools and spas, water softeners and septic systems.

Gold plan

Total Home Protection’s Gold plan provides coverage for basic systems and appliances:

• Plumbing system
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Platinum plan

The Platinum plan covers everything in the Gold plan, plus your air conditioning system, clothes washer and dryer, heating system and refrigerator.

• Air conditioning system
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Optional coverage

Extra coverages are also available for those who want further protection.

• Pools and spas
  • Additional heating system
  • Additional water heater
  • Additional garage door opener

ServicePlus Home Warranty costs

Plans generally range from $53.67 per month to $60.33 per month. Because prices may vary by your location, home size and selected plan, the best way to get an accurate cost estimate is to request a quote from ServicePlus Home Warranty.

ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Preexisting conditions are not covered, which is standard on most home warranty contracts. Additionally, there may be parts or components of covered items that are excluded from coverage.

For example, while air conditioning systems are covered under the Platinum plan, replacement filters for those systems are not provided, according to a sample service agreement. With appliances, you often see items like knobs, dials, shelving and any removable accessories excluded from coverage.

A home warranty contract with THP may also include dollar amount caps, or coverage limits, so it’s important to read the agreement carefully.

ServicePlus Home Warranty coverage limits

ServicePlus Home Warranty places coverage limits on certain items (see below). If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds this amount, you would be responsible for covering the remainder of the costs yourself.

ServicePlus per contract term cap is $1,500 for “access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement” of all covered items. In addition, it has coverage limits per item in certain areas. This is the maximum dollar amount the company will pay out per contract term for specific items.

If a claim requires a service provider to break through walls or ceilings to make the repair, Total Home Protect will also cover up to $500 per claim to get the wall or ceiling back to a rough finish by hanging or patching drywall.

ItemServicePlus coverage limit*
Plumbing and electrical$500
Water heater$500
Whirlpool bathtub, spa/pool$500
Ceiling/exhaust fan$400
Septic tank pumping$200
Refrigerator ice maker$200

*For access, diagnosis, repair and/or replacement (per contract term)

ServicePlus Home Warranty FAQ

Does ServicePlus have a waiting period?
Yes, coverage kicks in 30 days after enrollment. In certain circumstances, ServicePlus may waive the waiting period.
Where is ServicePlus available?
ServicePlus offers service contracts in all states except for California and Nevada.
How do I request service from ServicePlus?
You can file a claim 24/7 online or by calling the ServicePlus claims department toll-free.
  1. Submit your claim to ServicePlus.
  2. ServicePlus assigns one of its approved local contractors to your case within two business days (four days on weekends and holidays).
  3. The service provider will contact you to schedule your appointment.
  4. You will pay your trade service call fee (specified in your contract; $75 is standard).

ServicePlus guarantees labor for 30 days and parts for 90 days. Should a failure occur due to the labor provided on your repair within 30 days, ServicePlus will send a technician to fix the problem at no additional cost to you.

Can I cancel ServicePlus?
Yes. If you cancel within 30 days of ordering, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund for the remainder of the contract, minus a $50 administrative fee for each unused term.
Is there a limit on the number of claims?
There is no limit on the number of claims you can make during your contract term. However, there may be dollar caps on covered items per contract term.
What happens if a covered item cannot be repaired?
If Service Plus cannot repair a covered item, it will provide a replacement under your contract’s terms. The company may offer a cash payout instead.

Is ServicePlus Home Warranty legit?

ServicePlus Home Warranty is a legitimate home warranty company. It offers plenty of coverage options for homebuyers and sellers. Monthly costs are in line with the industry average, and it has a below-average service call fee, which is why we think the company is worth considering. It could be an especially good choice for those who like the idea of managing their account and claims online.

ServicePlus Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ServicePlus Home Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I have a home in Indiana and I have a company I use there. Unfortunately, I can't use the same company here because I don't own the home, so that was a letdown. I was on the internet looking. There's a lot of companies that are around, but in most aspects, they want you to be the homeowner and you can't always be the homeowner. This house is in somebody else's name and I'm renting, but it's mine. It's in my friend's name because she had the cash money to put down for it and we're buying it from her on monthly payments. Still, I need to be able to cover the house because I'm the one that's here. If something breaks, I have to cover the expense and not everybody allow you to do that, but Total Home did.

I went with Total Home. You don't have to be the homeowner with them, and I liked that. I liked the prices too. However, it'd be nice if they could get a few more people that were either online (to be able to chat with somebody that's gonna put in the claim) or on the phones (to have somebody answering calls so a claim could be put in). This is so you know somebody has the request and it's not just a machine. To me, communication is a big thing and they need to improve theirs a bit. I like talking to people when I'm doing business. If I'm on the computer and I'm not doing business, I'm playing a game. I chat with the folks I play with all the time.

I balance the ease of putting a claim and being able to talk to somebody against the company I use in Indiana that I've had for a couple years. I compared the two and Total Home Protection's claims process was a little frustrating for me to start with because it's a little different with the service I use in Indiana. There, you pick up the phone and you talk to somebody. With Total Home, I didn't. Because of the pandemic, most of the stuff is done online right at the moment, so I went ahead and went online and submitted a claim. It got handled right away and it was taken care of for me, so I can't complain at all. I got a plumber out here the next day. Got cleared up quick too. The service was good.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Thank you for selecting Total Home Protection for all your home warranty needs. We know your time is valuable so we take feedback very seriously. Your feedback allows us to improve our business and promote the level of service expected from a trusted industry leader. Total Home Protection strives to be a top rated home warranty provider. We have an unwavering commitment to uphold our founding ideals to provide industry-leading home warranty products and exceptional services to the customers we're privileged to serve. We sincerely thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service during normal business hours at 1-800-545-0402.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

With Total Home, the piping that runs underground from your house to where you connect to the city is included and that is a huge coverage advantage for them because many others don't offer that. A person reached out to me via phone because when you go to Total Home’s website, you put your information in there and then, they all start calling you. So, the person called and I got lucky because there are a dozen warranty companies out there. I told them to give me a salesperson so they connected me to someone out in New York and I was able to go through the coverages with him on the phone. I got along with the person fine. The reps were very knowledgeable but they were too much like a car salesperson. I understand they gotta be a little pushy and I'm in sales, so I get what they're doing.

What I don't like about any industry is when they say that since I’m committing to Plan A and it's costing me 500 a year, their special today is for $400 if I do a two- year plan. But keep in mind, I can cancel at any time. The one that caught my attention was, at the end, I gave him a credit card to use and he said that he rarely ever saw this happen. Since I’m using a Visa card, here's one other special offer I get today. So to me, it cheapens their product.

With all the specials, if they already have them, they should tell me. Because what they're offering is a very important coverage for home warranties. I'm going to be a little more sensitive to that because I'm a sales guy myself and something like that could kill a deal as fast as can be. So, it's that lack of seeing a little bit of professionalism. They should take pride in what they’re doing. They know their pricing and if that's what I need, then they wouldn't be throwing out four different specials after I've already made a commitment.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I got a phone call and the guy was running a special at the time. He cut down whatever I was paying to $40 and that was the reason why I chose to go with THP. The application was over the phone and it was easy. Also, submitting a claim is pretty simple. Sometimes, with the COVID going on, it makes it harder to get someone out and I understand that. That's a part of life at this time.

I had an issue with a contractor that was dispatched. He was very unprofessional. He told me what he charges an hour but I told him he was dispatched to address the issue. Once he comes out and tells Total Home Protection what's going on, they will make a decision if it's covered through them and if it's not covered, then he would contact me and tell me what my charge is. Otherwise, I will be writing him a check and he would get the remaining of his money from THP if everything is covered.

He never showed up so I called back THP and asked if they could please dispatch someone else and they did with no problems. The next guy took care of business. I asked him if he could please contact me prior to showing up because I wasn't home but I will make sure someone would be there and he did everything that was asked. Everything was handled with no problem.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I called Total Home and they told me that there was somebody going to be in touch with me, so I waited. But I didn't hear anything for three days. So I called them back and the rep said, “Well, we don't show that you've ever put in a claim.” I told her that I put in a claim three days ago and that they told me that they would be in touch but no one's been in touch. She said she would have to put in a claim and then, within 20 minutes, a gentleman called me and said that he is out there in Palatka and that he’d go and look at the AC unit. He was a very nice man. He took care of it. There were some parts that had to be ordered. So he ordered them, got approval on them, and then he installed them and got them up and running.

Some other AC company called me and said that they wouldn't be able to get out there for a couple more days. But I told them somebody that was out there already. So I called Total Home back and said, “Hey, we've already gotten our unit fixed. Now there's people calling me, telling me that they can't get out to look at it for a couple days. Can you update your system?” The rep said, “We don't show that anybody's even been out there.” It was like their system wasn’t connecting with whatever. They have communication problems. But we got everything fixed and under our warranty and paid our deductible. It all worked out. It was just weird.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

The claims submission process with Total Home Protection is relatively fine. The issue that I've had more recently was I added a second policy to my personal home versus my rental, and the first technician I dealt with was not knowledgeable at all and he caused more issues. Total Home Protection denied my claim because they said that the technician said something that was false. The subsequent technician looked it over and saw that the other technician was incompetent. Unfortunately, due to COVID, the new technician, who I'm actually pretty impressed with, can't get the parts that I need to fix my unit. He's waiting for the parts to come in because it was delayed.

It's nice that the deductibles are pretty cheap. My monthly stuff is pretty cheap. I don't like the sales when they try to sell it to people. They say, "Oh, well, yeah, we'll make it cheaper if you pay for like three years in advance." It's like, "Well, I don't know if you're gonna be here three years." So, I pay a monthly. With my initial one, I paid for like 18 months. I pay monthly for both of mine.

As far as the contractors, it's a mixed bag. Some of them are really really good and know what they're doing, and some of them are really bad. The problem is that you're not believed. The only reason I was believed in this situation that I had was because the contractor was so rude to the technician. I have a double oven range. The top of my range is gas. The bottom of my range is electric. My bottom oven stopped working, but that's the larger oven. I was not able to cook a turkey in my house this year because my bottom oven was not functioning. I called the technician out. He came out a day or so after I called in. He was very unprofessional. I typically try not to judge a book by its cover because if you come here and fix my problem, I don't care. He came, looked at it and pushed some buttons and then said, "Yeah, it's the coil. That's what the issue is. I had to order the part."

I figured he should have some type of tools to figure out what the problem was. He left, ordered the part, came back a week or so later with the coil he said he needed, and he disassembled the coil that was in the machine, and then he hooked up this new coil. He tried it and he said it didn't work. He then disconnected the new coil that he had ordered through the warranty company, took it back, put it back, and left my old coil just laying there. He didn't reattach it. He just left the oven disassembled and said, "Yeah, it can't be fixed." He left, told the warranty people that he fixed the coil and then also told them that, now, other things in the stove are broken, and so, that was why the stove was not working. So therefore, they need to replace the stove. He couldn't fix it, and so he lied to them and said the stove needs to be replaced.

My stove is very expensive. Everything in my kitchen is expensive. It was a couple of thousand dollar stove. Their response is, "Oh, we're not trying to pay out a couple of grand. That would be a prorated value. So, we're gonna deny your claim 'cause we tried to fix it and that's that." I said, "No, he didn't even fix what he's telling you he fixed. If he fixed that, then I would have no problem, right? He's telling you other things are broken that aren't broken. There's no issue with those things." Their response to me was, "Well, he has 30 days to warranty his work. So, we have to give him another opportunity to come back."

My response was, "Okay. But he didn't do the work in the first place. So why would we give him an additional 30 days to make a determination about this thing working or not?" They said, "Well, this is what we have to do." I said, "Okay. Well, I don't have a stove for Thanksgiving because you're telling me you can't change the contractor at this point in time and that he has 30 days to warranty his work that he didn't do. Well, can you all call him? Because I've tried to call him, he won't come back." They took the time to call him and he cussed out the representative. The representative said, "Oh, I see what you're dealing with now. Okay, we'll send another technician."

They sent another technician. The guy came out and he was excellent. He was in a uniform and he had a truck and tools. He was professional and put together and he said, "Yeah, I ordered a part and it's just not here. I'm waiting on dozens of parts for dozens of customers because of the global pandemic, unfortunately." What I've learned is I need a computer board for my stove, and that's why it's not working. He did call the warranty company in front of me, which I don't think he was supposed to do, but he did. The warranty company said, "Yeah, we'll approve that." It was a $700 part. The guy knew his stuff. He did what he was supposed to do and went well beyond that. I was gonna cancel both my plans and get another service company, and then he made up for the first guy.

ServicePlus Home Warranty response

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

The whole process of submitting a claim to waiting for the reimbursement has been the worst experience of my life. I have been waiting for over a year for my approved reimbursement. No one is concerned about resolving my issues.. When I had to call a contractor in the past they cringe when they find out I have this company as my home warranty. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY. Local handymen are better and will get the job done without huge out of pocket cost. The stress this has caused me is terrible, I feel bad for the employees and every new customer that gets scammed in signing up. Not worth any of the stress.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Our clothes dryer broke in March. The company sent out a repairmen. He stated he knew what part he needed but was not sure he could obtain it due to Covid. Once 2 months passed by it was determined the dryer could not be repaired. We had to buy a new washer and dryer. We were told the company would not buy a new dryer but would reimburse us $325 for laundry expense and repairs. We have been calling since May and have been given countless excuses like they ran out of checks. It is now almost Thanksgiving and we have received nothing. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL EXPENSE!!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

I received the 50.00 owed me way back in march from total home. There is still money owed me from June of 2021. Would like to know when I well receive this. I paid 350.00 to fix my garbage disposal seeing you couldn't fine anyone to come in and repair it. It cost an extra 200 because it had to be flushed before it could be replaced. So am I going to see any of that money. I hate this home warranty and well give it nothing but bad reviews to who ever ask me who to go with for a home warranty.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Like most of the other one-star ratings, I had the same experiences. They assign contractors who tell me that they don't deal with this company anymore, for the reason that they don't pay their bills. After 4 phone calls with four different people, I asked to cancel my policy because they were not fulfilling their end of the bargain. They offered a $300 Goodwill payment for me to get my leaky toilet fixed myself. I accepted but didn't receive the money after two weeks. I called and they told me it would be 6 to 8 weeks. Come on oh, I have a toilet leaking through the floor into the basement. I can't wait 6 to 8 weeks. And what happens after eight weeks if I don't get the money? Then I ask to have my policy canceled. They tried to scam me out of some sort of prorated cancellation. I shouldn't have to be prorated if they are not fulfilling their end of the bargain. This is a scam operation.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I want to say I’m very dissatisfied with the service I have received, or should I say lack of service, there is no way I should still be waiting for a technician to come out a week after I put in a claim. Hopefully my heating system will be fixed soon. It’s freezing, and I definitely will be shopping for a different company.

ServicePlus Home Warranty Company Information