Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.18/5

Banner image

Looking for cleaning services?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Looking for cleaning services?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Tide Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tide?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tide?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I grew up with Tide but it's not cleaning my clothes. They smell. Why would you change your product. Unhappy customer, will not use any more. Waste of money. My whole family used it but not anymore. Thanks but no thanks.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I always use Tide. Lately it has no smell. Nothing. It’s like I didn’t even put soap in and I found anything tide makes now like the perfumes for the laundry no perfume. I am done with tide. I have been using it for over 40 years. Something happened to tide.

Get buying tips about Household Cleaning Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I thought it was me, that my sense of smell was messed up, but no... it's the smell of Tide original. I've used it for 40 years and it was nice smelling, but now it has an awful odor. It smells like something rancid and spoiled in a dumpster. I am usually very product loyal, but I can no longer use Tide. I challenge anyone, just go into any store and give Tide original a sniff, it will make you nauseous.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Offensive product. I had to ban my son’s friend from visiting because his clothes off gassed a strong smell that made us sick. It doesn’t come off the furniture he used either. His mom said she only uses Tide pods.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Changing Tide's original scent without notifying anywhere on the packaging that they have done so is so back handed! Procter & Gamble needs to be sued. Just look at all these 1 star reviews!!! Original scent is just that-that damned original! The new "original" scent should have just been a new different one. It's offensive, burns my nose and smells horrible. It;s so strong, so perfumey. Just downright disgusting. I'll be going back to the Free and Clear I switched to when my son was born. My local CVS was out of the free and clear, and I was excited to smell regular tide again, and see how my sons skin reacted. My nose reacted first- P U! I'm sad and extremely disappointed.

Tide is overpriced so I expect the price to match the quality and service. It no longer does. Reached out to tide and they took a survey of how it made my nose feel and are sending a refund. I dont even want it. I want tide back. Boo tide, boo. To top it off, after contacting them, I now have a migraine from the strong smell and have to take one of my expensive pills to relieve the pain. Ridiculous! Dont waste your time or money. Just use Purex. Literally even the Blue Xtra from the Dollar Store smells better.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I have always bought Tide original, I would never use anything else for my family of 7.. That’s A LOT of detergent purchased through the years. But now I have had to switch after using this product for over 30years. I can’t stand the new “original scent”. It’s horrible!! Even my 17 year old son was like “what’s that smell?" & asked me to not spray that gross “perfume” on his clothes! Please Please change the formula back! I can’t used it. I literally get a headache now and it makes me nauseous. Tide used to be the best detergent on the market. Sadly Goodbye Tide.

Original review: June 28, 2020

Hey P&G... How can “Original” scent be original if you change it? And to change it sneakily without telling consumers? Oh, and the final middle finger to loyal users? “We’re sorry you don’t like the new Original scent (so oxymoronic)... try Mountain Spring instead. And oh yeah, Mountain Spring has been discontinued and you won’t be able to find it anywhere. And if you do find it, it won’t be the HE formula, so you cannot use it anyway.” What the...?? Seriously P&G? I have used Tide Original for over 26 years exclusively. And before that when I was a child and didn’t do laundry, there was nothing more comforting than going to Grandma’s house and sleeping on her clean original Tide-scented guest room sheets.

I am glad my grandmother is dead and doesn’t have to smell the new Original scent that smells like cheap perfume trying to cover up the smells of spoiled milk and puke (and failing). I have had to wash my work clothes three times using my boyfriend’s Persil and a plethora of dryer sheets just to get the new Tide stink out of my clothing. I hate Persil’s smell too (it gives me a headache), but a headache is better than your new version which literally makes me gag and choke down vomit.

Thanks for ruining my laundry, and my fond clean sheet memories of grandma’s house. And since you don’t seem to care that you have screwed up the Original scent that was so adored by so many consumers, because you don’t seem to be doing anything about changing it back to the true original smell, I guess I will never get that scent back. I hope that this blunder by your CEOs and your marketing/market research/R&D departments make it so no one ever buys Tide again. I mean, how can we trust you when you pull this sneaky BS?

At least “New Coke” back in the 80s was labeled differently when it went onto store shelves. You couldn’t even do that!! Now I have to go to the store, pull down my mask during the COVID-19 crisis, and smell every brand of detergent in the aisle to try and find something else that doesn’t stink to high heaven and make me feel ill. I can guarantee, I won’t be smelling ANY other Tide scents or any other P&G brands. You screwed up big time, and I am not very forgiving.

When I officially complained to P&G I got an apology, an offer to compensate me for my bottle of new maggot-fresh “Original” Tide and this pathetic excuse: “We've updated the scent of Tide Original Liquid Laundry detergent in April 2019 to provide a better freshness experience particularly on dry fabrics. The Change will be going from a light, clean, herbal/green scent to a slightly warmer, rich, scent with a bit more woody notes. People like you, people who love Tide and its scents, are core to our motivation and we do continuous research on how to serve them better. Inspired by what people told us in this research, societal trends and the science behind the sense of smell, we have enhanced Tide's scents which now also offer longer lasting freshness experience.”

Oh really?! People like me? You mean me and all the other loyal decades-long Tide users who are royally cheesed off that you ruined your product for us? Can you believe that? If people like me are their “core motivation” then here’s an idea: Change Original scent back to the true original scent! I don’t think they consulted consumers at all when coming up with the new Original scent. People who have actually used that product for 20+ years would have all told them that the new version smells horrible and to not change anything.

I’m sure they just needed to get cheaper ingredients from China because, you know, P&G is only a multi-billion dollar company. Money and profit is the bottom line, not actually making products that people want to use, and certainly not listening to consumers when they call them out on their idiotic mistakes. “We’re P&G. We will just take a giant dump on the people who have bought our products for years and made us our billions, but hey... you’re our core motivation!”

I should have seen the change in the wind a few years ago when their pods were staining everyone’s clothing, and all they could do was tell people they weren’t using them correctly. Oh, what’s that? Your formula WAS staining clothes, so you changed it? Well wow. Look at you. Time to admit you messed up again. Put your big boy pants on and do the right thing. I will boycott all P&G products from now on until they bring back the original Original scent. (Hey Tide, you could even call it that if you insist in keeping your new stink bomb “original“ on the shelves. I won’t even demand royalties.) If we all stop buying your products, how will that motivate you, P&G?

Original review: June 15, 2020

I been using Tide my entire life, would have never bought or used anything else till now. I buy the large bottle in the original scent because I like to throw a bounce in the dryer after I wash my clothes. Well I had 4 bottles in my washroom back in Dec 2019 and bought a new bottle last week. Well this morning I threw the clothes in and when I cracked the bottle I thought it smelled different. It smelled very strong. I thought maybe it was just me.

Well when I pulled the clothes out of the dryer the smell was so overwhelming. I prewashed them, didn't use a fabric softener and again when they came out o m g. They smelled like chemicals and it was very strong. I smelled the laundry soap and it's a different smell yet the bottle says original. Something has changed. I ran to Krogers at 9 am to buy a new laundry soap. Because tide has changed something after 35 + years of using tide, I can't use it. P&G what did you do. Fix it. Please. It's awful. Until then I hope All will clean my clothes as well as tide did without that awful chemical smell.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I have used Tide for years, lately the scent from Tide pods is sickening. I’ve gotten terrible headaches, burning in throat and nose. I’ve needed to get up at night and change pjs because the scent was so overpowering I could not sleep. Toxic!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I've been using Tide Free and Gentle for the past 8 years. I started doing so for my daughter. In the last 2-3 months I started noticing that my clothes felt rougher and stiffer coming out of the wash. I would rinse the clothes 2 times and still the clothes felt the same. I dry them with my normal Bounce dryer sheets and they come out stiff and scratchy. I actually thought my washing machine wasn't rinsing the clothes well and purchased a new one.

Lo and behold... same problem! They've clearly changed something. I just bought a huge 126 load bottle of the Free and Gentle and now I'm going to have to ditch it. No more Tide for me. Such a shame... it was a very good brand for decades. I'm sure they've changed their formula in an effort to make more profit -- short change the customer while charging the same and skimping on quality. Dang!!

Tide Company Information