Find a Cleaning Services partner

3. Cleaning Services

3.5/5 (54 ratings)
Find a Cleaning Services partner
Banner image

Looking for cleaning services?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About The Maids

Banner image

Looking for cleaning services?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

The Maids Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Maids?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Maids?

Original review: March 26, 2021

They were the better home cleaning service I tried (and I have tried pretty much all of them in Miami) but certainly nothing spectacular; just acceptable. They cleaned our home weekly and continuously for 2 fairly smooth, uneventful years. Our home was never really very dirty or messy so it was pretty easy to clean. However, if a deep clean is what you need, like The Maids advertise, I wouldn't recommend this service.

The cleaning they do (bathrooms and kitchen) is a little cleaning spray and dry cloth wipe of the surfaces. Very little scrubbing with water on bathroom or kitchen surfaces is done unless you ask for it. I definitely wouldn't recommend this service for a very dirty, messy home as you will most likely be dissatisfied with the job. The cleaning liquids they said they used were industrial grade, no perfume, products but our home never smelled like it was freshly cleaned after they finished. If you are sensitive to smells then I guess you could say that was a plus. However, I never really cared for that because I want my home (6700 sq. feet) to smell clean after I have spent $ 325 for 3 hours of work!

The original owners (Jerome and Nellie) did accompany the cleaning team of 3 or 4 to clean and supervise the work and were always receptive to my needs. As a result, I always had a cleaning team of 4 or 5 people weekly cleaning my home. A couple of the cleaning ladies they employed were excellent but those didn't last long. During the 2 years they cleaned for us, they had a lot of turnover and many of the ladies were just barely adequate. If you are okay with having a new, unknown person in your home every couple of months, I guess you'll be fine as long as the owners are receptive to any needs that arise.

I stuck with them (Nellie and Jerome) because they seemed nice and were always receptive to any critique and addressed the problems of the new, ever changing, untrained ladies immediately. But my understanding is that they recently sold the business so I do not know how the new owners (Gaby and Oscar) will behave as I have not met them. However, I can report that, without ever being introduced to the new owners (Gaby and Oscar), the previous owners (Nellie and Jerome) informed us via email that the new owners would be unable to provide us with the same service and number of people to clean our home unless we were willing to pay considerably more money for the services we had before.

Frankly, I am a little disappointed and surprised with the handling of the turnover of cleaning accounts to the new owners by Jerome and Nellie and how unprofessional the new owners have behaved with former, long term clients. I would have expected all four owners to PERSONALLY meet with us and inform us of any changes. It does not speak well for The Maids brand, if you have franchisees who represent the company in this manner! Consumer beware!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Due to age and medical conditions, we found it necessary to hire a cleaning service. After giving three different companies each a 6 months trial, we determined The Maids to be the best. My wife is very particular and we have been extremely happy with this service. They are always on time or call if they will be late or early. Everyone we have dealt with has been most pleasant. And best of all, the cleaning is spectacular. The house feels sooo clean when they are finished. From the dusting, vacuuming, mopping, everything is spotless. I would definitely recommend this company.

Get buying tips about Cleaning Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Be careful!!!! I’m so disappointed, we took this professional for cleaning before the move out, we hope find a real professional but I was so disappointed by the cost for this results. I didn’t want a perfect result but just something clean. Don’t waste your money and your time.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

First thing, start time questionable, skimmed half hour off the bat. Overcharge for time, then double banged twice for taxes. Spoke with rep on phone, played stupid, cost twice as much from previous time used. Never again. Beware!!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

We hired this company to do a deep clean. We were happy with how clean the house was but not about what was missing when I got home from work. A police report is filed. Not to be trusted and we will see about it being bonded. There is always one bad egg I suppose. I hope they root out their bad egg fast.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

We have used this company for at least a dozen years and they have always done a good to great job. We deal with the group in Evanston and usually have the same team leader, which helps. Whenever we have had an issue, they have responded with appropriate actions.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Don’t use this company. They do not adequately clean a home. Even raised the price of the clean. Based on time spent in the home, not quality of clean. They did about 200$ worth of cleaning and charged 420$, 40$ above the quoted base price in the range. They will add charges and they won’t specify why or for what, other than additional time spent. Had to request the supervisor come back and adequately clean the numerous spots left by the cleaning crew. Was also told that they don’t clean walls as well as any calcification. If you go with The Maids you will pay too much for too little while they highlight what they won’t do for you.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I'm moving out of a 915 sq ft apartment. So I quoted with The Maids to do a move-out cleaning service. After assessment, they said my apartment usually needs 4 people and 1.5 hours to clean it. The total cost would be around $300. This afternoon, three cleaning staff come to my home. They worked slowly, especially one of them. After 3 and half hours's cleaning, they charged me over $500. In RI, usually $300 is more than enough for this kind of small apartment. The cleaning quality is also very low. After 3 and half hours, my freezer, laundry machines and some other places were totally not cleaned. For other places, the cleaning quality is not good, especially the wall. In sum, they charge a very high price but provide a very poor cleaning service. How can this kind of business survive on the market?

Original review: June 13, 2019

Did not empty a single trash can; did not vacuum under chairs or any furniture; did not clean office even though I offered to go out to the deck while they were cleaning; did not vacuum upper or lower floors. Much more but limited space here. Would NOT recommend.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I requested a move-in service from The Maids in northern New Jersey. The house had little to no furniture and my request was for cleaning of the interior of the cabinets, refrigerator, carpet, and all surfaces. I was told there would be three individuals who would complete the job. That should have been the first red flag as I thought that might be excessive, but since they charged by the hour, I agreed thinking they would complete the task faster. My husband was on site to make the property available; however, he was not supervising the work. I guess he should have. They had a work order, but were questioning him. I had to call the office to be sure they knew what was expected so they would stop asking him questions for which he didn't have an answer. That should have been the second red flag.

When I reached the property that evening, there was hair in the kitchen sink, none of the interiors of the kitchen cabinets were cleaned, there were hand prints on the glass of the dining room table (the only furniture in the house), the glass shelves in the refrigerator were caked with something. Among all the other things that were wrong, those were the items that were most notable. At the time, I thought the carpets were in good condition as I had not yet gone upstairs since they were still wet. Regardless, I called and sent pictures to the manager. I was happy to hear that they would come back the next day and take care of the issues.

They did return and managed to get the interior of the cabinets clean; however, the refrigerator was untouched by the second cleaning and when I went upstairs there was a large red stain on the carpet near the wall of my bedroom that was not there previously. I opted not to follow up with them; however, Monica called to see if I was satisfied with the secondary service. When I told her it was horribly expensive (my bill came to $737.56) for service that was beyond sub-par, she made no apologies, made no attempt to reduce the current bill, and the sad attempt to garner repeat service with a minor discount was, frankly, insulting. If you are in northern New Jersey, don't bother with them. Please do yourself a favor; take a look at the pictures and go elsewhere.

The Maids author review by ConsumerAffairs

The Maids is a franchised cleaning service founded in 1979, and it operates in more than 90 cities across the United States and Canada. The company focuses on deep cleaning, and it offers services to alleviate allergies and health concerns.

• Customized cleaning plan: The Maids works with customers to come up with a customized cleaning plan tailored to the needs of their space and lifestyle.

• Health focus: The company uses a 22-step Healthy Touch Deep Cleaning system to control allergens and help improve indoor air quality.

• Moving services: The Maids offers a specialized cleaning service for people who are moving to ensure the space is in good condition when they depart.

• State-of-the-art equipment: The Maids uses a range of high-tech equipment for cleaning, including a backpack vacuum with HEPA filtration, which can pick up 99 percent of allergens in a home.

• Satisfaction guarantee: The Maids' satisfaction guarantee promises that if customers are dissatisfied and inform the company within 24 hours, the company will come back and clean it again, free of charge.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team