Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Swiffer Reviews

Original review: May 4, 2013

Being in the plastics industry, I can tell the mold for the plastic handle's wall thickness is too thin to attach to the aluminum handle. This is the main pressure point for this device. I get the need for profitability and lightness, but I've purchased 3 of the Swiffer Wet Jets, all with the same design flaw. Take the mold off production and rework it. I will no longer purchase this. That's roughly $75 of wasted money. Take it off the market or offer rebates while you are reworking the mold design.

Original review: May 3, 2013

I would just like to have the phone number of Swiffer so I could call them. I had received this 360 duster as a gift, and when I opened it up, the 3 disposable dusters were all stuck to the plastic. This looks very nice and all I would like is a new disposable duster, besides their phone number. The reason I can't take this back to a store is because this was sent up as a gift from another state. So I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: April 29, 2013

I wish I had read these reviews prior to purchasing the purple handled Swiffer. The first time the handle broke (as usual, right where the aluminum tube ends just below the switch), I thought it was me putting too much pressure on the handle. This break occurred after a few months of use. I used some super glue to repair and thought it would be fine. Wrong! The super glue fix to the front of the original break held fine (as with white glue and wood, the glued joint is usually stronger than the wood itself), but the rear of the handle broke following the original break line and the front break occurred even closer to the spray button.

After inspecting the second break more closely, I determined that the red and black wires were compressed between the plastic parts instead of being routed through the designed slot and the thickness of the purple plastic was less than 3/16 of an inch. Totally cheap design! I am now letting my second super glue job dry. When done, I am going to add a curved steel band to the rear of the handle using a few screws to grab the aluminum tube and super glue to attach to the cheap and way too thin plastic.

Now I will try to find the manufacturer (Proctor and Gamble?) and see what their likely overpaid CEO can explain. I doubt he/she even knows they have this problem. If he/she does not offer me a better, re-designed (that means much, much, much better) Swiffer for my problems, they can kiss my ** goodbye. Not only for the Swiffer, but for any product they are connected with. Fed up with the Swiffer cheap handle in Denver, Colorado.

Original review: April 13, 2013

I have been duped by my original Swiffer jet cleaner to purchase the new purple handle model. The old model performed satisfactorily; however, the new model has not done so. Since August 2013, I have returned three separate ones, all for the same reason - broken handles. Wal-Mart has replaced each one of them without a hassle. I have attempted to contact Procter and Gamble to express my disappointment with this product but to no avail. Thank you.

Original review: April 6, 2013

I have purchased 3 Wetjet Swiffer mops ($25 each) and all of these the handles had broken off! The last one I only had for about over a month. And worst of all, it wouldn't even spray after that. If it did, I could at least duct tape it together. I had seen so many complaints pertaining to this issue. The plastic handle is flimsy and not durable at all. I had a hard time trying to contact Procter & Gamble to email them. I could not find any section pertaining to customer feedback/questions. I really like the product overall if it weren't for the stupid handle! If anyone has any advice or knows how to email Procter and Gamble, please contact me by email. I would really appreciate it greatly!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Swiffer?

Original review: April 5, 2013

I like the way the Swiffer Wet Jet works replacing the pad when dirty, not having to use a bucket. My complaint is the first one I purchased broke on the handle by the battery. I figured I was too rough with it and purchased another one only to find the handle broke at the same place by the battery. I am not going to buy another one since they are so poorly made.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2013

I am now on my second Wet Jet. I love the way it cleans on my tile and laminate floors. It's so easy to use. However, the handle breaks. After the first one broke, I went and bought another. This time, I felt I needed to complain since the cost to replace it is over $20. I buy the pads and cleaning solution in bulk so I need to have a mop that works.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2013

I am on my third WetJet Mop. I really like it; however, the holes where the liquid cleaner comes out gets either clogged or broken, because they quit working. This is very annoying. On my third WetJet Mop, two times after I used it, only one hole is working. I vacuum and sweep before using. What is the problem? I only use Swiffer products with these mops!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2013

I have experienced the broken handle just above the bend where the metal inside ends - similar to many other customer reviews on this site. If you apply any kind of downward force while using the Swiffer, you can hear it creaking and cracking inside and it will not take long for it to give way. It is an extremely poor design once you see the inside of the handle after it breaks, given that all of the force is centralized on that point where the metal ends and the plastic is the only thing left to support it on the upward angle of the handle. I tried hacking together a fix by drilling a hole and putting a sheet metal screw along with some plastic bonding glue where the crack is, but the design flaw is just too much to overcome because no matter the strength of the glue is, it doesn't stand a chance.

Extremely poor product design. I can't imagine they put this through any kind of quality assurance. On top of all that, their return policy is garbage (30 days + save the UPC + save the receipt. Who saves UPCs, really?).

Original review: Jan. 16, 2013

I, too, am someone who really likes the product when it's not broken. I now have 3 of the purple Swiffer Wet Jet mops. All have broken plastic handles. They last a month maybe, then snap! The handle breaks and it's either useless or I try to duct tape it together. They need to offer handles if they are going to keep making cheap handles. This is a quick easy fix if they just add a metal insert inside the plastic so the cheap non-flex plastic will not flex. I have tried to be gentle and use no pressure, which defeats the purpose of the scrub tip and they just break and I'm tired of it.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2013

My original Green Wet Jet lasted for years. The only thing wrong was the surface wore out and the cleaning pad would not stick anymore. So I got the new Purple one. The jets do not spray or at best only 1 sprays. The other one leaks all over. So I figured it must be a reject and stupidly went and bought another one. The same thing happened, only for this one, only the right sprayer works. The other one leaks all over the pad making for a sloppy mess. Why on earth would you change a perfectly great design? So now what am I supposed to do, send it back and pay more for shipping than it is worth? Well, I am sending a letter to Good Housekeeping since they gave it their seal of approval. I was just on their site. I saved the receipt. I will see what they will do since I read reviews of others and know that calling Swiffer Customer Service is not going to solve my problem.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2013

Are you kidding me? You redesigned the Swiffer sold at Walmart and I almost broke my fingers trying to get the compartment open for the batteries. Who the heck asked you to redesign it? Because it can now be made even cheaper in China? Now you get one small bottle and 3 pads in the kit? Talk about cheap? This Swiffer is a piece of crap. Excuse my language but yeah, it's a piece of crap.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2013

I just wish I would have read the Swiffer reviews before I wasted my money. It was nothing but disappointment.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2012

I have wasted my money on three of these mops. Each and every time after only minimal use, only one jet will work. This product sucks with only one jet working. I tried changing the batteries so I know it's not that. I love it when it works properly but to spend over $60 and get a cheaply made product that breaks within the first few uses is unacceptable. It's my own stupid fault for not saving the receipt. I will never waste my hard-earned money on one again. Three strikes and they are out!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2012

The Swiffer dust mop handle broke off right in the middle while I was mopping my hardwood floor. I understand I have to buy the whole set just to get a new handle. This is unsatisfactory. Maybe you can use a stronger type of material for the handle. I like the product per se, but it is irritating not to be able to buy just a replacement handle. Is there any solution forthcoming?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2012

I've used Swiffer for years and love their products, as well as many other P&G products. However, I've had to throw away two pads for the WetJet because the middle of the pads picked up no dirt - it was like it wasn't even touching the floor. It left the floor completely dry. The second box of replacement pads that I had purchased worked just fine, so I think it was some kind of manufacturing error. I sent an e-mail to Customer Service, and am anticipating a response. I've never contacted P&G before, so I am interested to know how they handle the situation. Otherwise, my Wet Jet works great, and I've never had problems with their other products.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2012

Swiffer Wet Jet Handle - I have 4 of these machines, one in each building to clean the small laundry room located in each building. I, like some others, have broken two of the four handles right where it is even with the steel part of the handle quits and the plastic starts. I would suggest this part of the handle be made of metal also. I realize that makes the cost go up but it is pretty expensive to buy all new units every three or four weeks. I love the unit when it works but fix it or quit selling it. Awaiting your return answer and whether to go to a different company model or have a fix. Just send me 4 or 5 replacement handles for the upper part of the handle and bill me, and I will wait for the fix you come up with.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2012

I love my Swiffer WetJet but I am tired of the handle breaking off. I have called the company and they always send me out a coupon for a free WetJet but I hate that I have to wait and wait for the coupon to get another one, not to mention that I have to go back to the store to pick one up. It's more time and money for me but for them it's just a coupon in the mail. I have read on here that people are not able to get answers from P&G about the problem. I have never had trouble getting in touch with them and they are very nice about it. I have asked them about this handle problem but they said they didn't have one. I have read on here that there is a big problem with it. I am on my fourth Swiffer this year. There is a one-year warranty on it so if yours breaks for any reason within that time period, call them to get a coupon for another one. This will be my last Swiffer. I have had enough of it all. I will go to an alternative mop system.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2012

I am on my third Swiffer WetJet that just broke at the handle, the exact same spot that all of them broke. I thought the first one was my fault. Maybe I was using it wrong, too rough on it. So, I bought a second one which was the pink line. About 2 weeks later, it broke at the handle, so I submitted a complaint to P&G. They sent me a voucher for a new starter kit, which Walmart refused to cash until I spoke to a manager who said they have been receiving fake vouchers. Now that one, 6 months later has broken in the same place on the handle. I buy in bulk so 5 days ago, I purchased 3 bottles of cleaner and 36 count box of pads. So now, I have to buy a new mop or lose even more money, which stinks.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2012

I have had a minimum of four Swiffer WetJet mops with the handle breaking on all four of them. When the first two WetJet mop handles broke, P&G told me they were redesigning the handle to alleviate the problem. I replaced the first two broken older (green) models with the latest re-designed (purple) model when they came out and again the handle broke on the two new re-designed purple model. P&G has obviously not fixed their Swiffer WetJet handle design problem. I own and have used other Swiffer cleaning products. I have not had a problem with handles breaking with their Sweeper or SweeperVac products.

P&G offered to replace only one of my new purple Swiffer WetJet mops and give me a $5 coupon off the other one in 2-3 weeks. I would rather that P&G replace the handle for both of my newer Swiffer WetJet mops. I am environmentally conscious and am frustrated of having to dispose of four mops when the handle is the only problem. I am also frustrated on having to absorb the cost of replacing the second Swiffer WetJet mop when P&G's handle design is the problem.

I'm glad other users are reporting the same problem as P&G is obliged by law to sell a product that is "fit for the purpose it was made for.” If the handle keeps breaking under normal use, the mop is not, in my opinion, "fit for the purpose it was made for" and should be either re-designed or taken off the market. I would rather see the handle being replaced with a handle similar to the one on the SweeperVac as it has withstood the test of time.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2012

I was cleaning and pressing the squirt button when the handle (below the switch) broke where the plastic handle joins the top of the metal tube. It seemed like a weak spot in the manufacture and my first thought was, unfortunately, planned obsolescence. There was enough material to attempt gluing, which is currently underway. In the meantime, I checked if this is a 'known' problem, and I would say it certainly is! My gosh, how many people are going to have to break the handle in order for the company to make this cash cow right? It would be great for a competitor to come up with a well-designed substitute under the slogan “And it doesn't break!” Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2012

Upon first usage, the handle of the Swifter Wet Jet separated at the joint seam and the micro switch was dislocated from its internal cradle. Reconstruction and repositioning of the switch and handle proved difficult, utilizing SuperGlue on the seam points that eventually proved a non solution that failed under stress. This tool handle represents the epitome of non-ergonomic hasty pudding from a corporate giant the public will ever witness. It does not fit the adult human hand, is unstable during use, unreliable beyond the first application to the task, unrepairable and unworthy of continued manufacture.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2012

I looked closer after the second Swiffer handle breakage. It's a manufacturing problem in my mind. If you look at the break, you can see where the paint has bled into the plastic around the break area. On mine, it was in front of the spray button. So there's a crack in the handle after the handle is molded. The painting covers the crack and makes it invisible if any quality assurance is being done.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2012

I have bought 2 Swiffer vacs in the past 3 months and both have been faulty. I am both upset and angry. They are not cheap and you cannot get a refund if you used them. The battery will not charge at all. I have plugged it in and have kept it plugged in for a couple of days at a time and it still won't charge up. I would greatly appreciate it if you would send me a coupon for a free one and maybe even coupons for other stuff as well. I really love all your other products and I would have enjoyed the Swiffer vac if it had worked right. I am not into making complaints, but this just could not go unnoticed by me. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2012

I've seen this in other complaints. The handle breaks just below the spray switch. J-B Weld, for $4-$5, fixes this. The four-minute kind works well. I didn't think about J-B before I trashed the first one. Swiffer won't help. At least I can't find any site. Good luck.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2012

I have bought 2 Swiffer WetJets and both of them have broken at the handle in the same exact spot, just below the spray button. I see, by other comments on this site, other people have had the same problem with the same product. I called Swiffer's customer service and held for 40 minutes waiting to talk to someone about this problem. I finally gave up. I will be writing to Procter & Gamble, Inc. to see what they will do to fix this problem. I will not be buying another one. I will not recommend this product to anyone either. I have not been satisfied with the cleaning fluid; it leaves my floors feeling sticky and streaky. I’m very dissatisfied with Procter & Gamble's customer service to top it all off. Whatever happened to standing behind your product? Especially, for the cost...

Original review: Aug. 5, 2012

I had used the first Swiffer Wet Jet a couple months and then the sprayers quit working. I gave up trying and bought a new one. The sprayers are not working on that mop either. I thought it was something I was incorrectly doing until I read some of the reviews. Sounds like if I ever was successful with the sprayers, I could probably look forward to the handle breaking soon. I just had hardwood floors installed, think the Swiffer Wet Jet would be great to use on the new floors. According to the reviews, the mop and solution leaves a film. I think I'll just take the second Swiffer Wet Jet Kit back and get my money back. Surely there is something on the market that is similar and actually works.

Original review: July 17, 2012

I have bought 2 of the Swiffer Wet Jets and both of them I have had the same problem. They have both quit spraying out of the right side. I am very dissatisfied with this product especially with the money that I spent to buy them and then they quit working. My first one worked for about a month and the second one, only a week before it quit spraying.

Original review: April 21, 2012

Okay, this happened again for the second time. The handle broke without any pressure or rough use. That will have now come to a total of $70, excluding cleaners. I am not going to purchase another one. Although I like the product, purchasing a new one every year is a waste of money and bad for the environment.

Original review: April 20, 2012

We have purchased several Swiffers yearly, and always, the handle breaks. We thought it was new and improved with the latest, but once again, the handle broke. Switching to Shark or some other product where we don't spend money over and over unnecessarily, Wal-Mart would not exchange our defective Swifffers any longer. So goodbye, Swiffer. You worked well, but your handle didn't. And we are tired of spending money on poor quality products! No more.

Swiffer Company Information