2. Homeowners
Accredited Partner

Malden, MA

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.61/5

SunSetter Awnings offer both manual and motorized awnings that provide shade and protection, transforming your patio or deck. Our awnings provide cool shade that can help in those hot and humid months and helps keep the inside of your home cooler by blocking the sun's rays from coming in your windows and doors.

We want to provide you with the highest quality awnings at the absolute best prices. We provide a free in-home consultation and are committed to a long-term relationship with our customers.

SunSetter Awnings Gallery (1)
SunSetter Awnings Get Pricing

SunSetter Awnings Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: May 19, 2020

I thought that SunSetter would come out and put the awning up, but that didn’t happen. There was another company and I wasn’t aware of that. We’re not in town and I didn’t realize that somebody else would come out and put the awning up. And then, I wasn’t happy with them. I have a hot tub and that’s what the awning was going over. They proceeded to stand on the hot tub to put it up and I did not like that. I went out and said, “Hey, what are you doing standing on the hot tub?” They had ladders. They were Hispanic and they said, “Well,” then looked at each other and talked in their talk. I couldn’t understand it.

I turned around and came back in the house. I was mad. That’s when we called the company and told them what was going on. And the rep said, “I will call them right this minute,” and she did. We watched out the window, and pretty quick, one of the installers' phone rang and, evidently, he talked to them on there and everything, and they got everything off. SunSetter called and everything was apologized. I just could not believe the installers were standing on my tub. I wouldn’t stand on it.

As far as SunSetter and the screen that I have, I love it. My hot tub is right outside my kitchen window. And today is our first hot day, and the sun was coming in my kitchen window, warming up my house. I put that SunSetter out, and it took care of the sun on my window. So, it’s serving two different purposes. We can get in the hot tub when it’s raining or snowing, and then we can also get in because we have the cover and that will keep the house cooler or warmer. I had a new patio put on out there and the awning covered the other end of the patio. One end was already covered, it’s fine. And then, that’s where we put the extended awning. It’s awesome. My sisters were over, and the brochure came in the mail, and I said, “Here, you guys, check this out.”

Get buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2020

We've had the awning for less than a year and we've used it a little bit but we have a lot of issues. I was not happy at all with the sales guy I dealt with. He was a real pain. I initially got a price from him and I got another price from Costco but then he went through all his crap about supporting local businesses. So finally, I said that if he would give me the price, I would give him the business. So we went that route. But after that, he was never very happy in dealing with me.

After I got the awning delivered, I asked him some questions and he didn’t really wanna answer. I told him I was having some problems with the motor. It would close but it would not open at the certain length. The guy said he could come out to look at it but it was gonna cost me $500. Then he said he would have to take it all down and put it all back up, and he was gonna bring two guys with him. I went, “Wait a minute." I put the thing up by myself. Why would he need three people to take it down and put it back up again?

So I quit dealing with him and I dealt with SunSetter. I worked with them a lot on the phone and they were very helpful. We got to a point where we couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t working. So they sent me a new motor under warranty with the idea that I would send the old motor back. But we had some personal issues throughout the year last summer so I never swapped the motor out. I still have the new motor and with the old motor, what I have to do is to hit the stop button where I want it to stop, which isn’t the end of the world. Actually, I kinda got used to it. But of course I had to tell everybody else so they don’t turn it on and walk away because it's gonna go to the full extent and then close back up again.

But it's our vacation home and we're not up there that much. So I really don’t have a big complaint with SunSetter. There was an issue but they really worked hard to try to fix it and they sent me a motor. But I would never recommend dealing with that salesman. He even told me he's the only guy in the area. But I found out later that there was another guy who’s actually closer to me. Normally, I would just go with the closest person. He lied about that too. So I'm not happy with him at all. As far as SunSetter though, they stood behind their products.

Original review: March 2, 2020

We had previously owned SunSetter Awnings, so we knew exactly what we wanted and what we were getting into. The salesman who showed up at our house to talk to us about it was nice and friendly guy, and it ended up we had some common friends. He was able to answer all the questions. Then the contractor, who was with his adult kids who were helping him out, came, installed it and did a wonderful job. And it was also fun watching him work. Everything went up exactly the way my wife, who is the boss, wanted it. We like that we have our back deck back. They look nice and I love the easy and convenience of pushing a button. It makes something that is unlivable in the heat of the day into a great place to go hanging out. We love SunSetter Awnings. So, the whole experience was fantastic.

The only problem that I have had is how hard it is to program the motor and the remotes, and how they lose programming. It is too complicated. Every now and then, we have had the awnings move on their own with no one pushing a button several times now. I travel for a living and I might be gone for four or five days at a time, and the first time that happened, my wife called me freaking out. So, now we unplug them because the last thing I want is to get that thing to open during a thunderstorm while we are gone. I’ve also talked to SunSetter and we reprogrammed them, and the last time we got it set. But even using the manual, I have trouble trying to program the thing. I almost always have to call customer service people, who are great when I call them, to do it. They talk you through it and we get it done in quick order.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

My previous home had a homemade kind of canvass awning that somebody had built on it. Lo and behold, it fell down the first year we moved into the house. And then I thought, there’s gotta be people that sell awnings, like tent people, who would make a strong enough frame and the wood stuff to hold the thing up and look pretty at the same time. So, at my previous house, we got two small SunSetter awnings for the back patio, and they were just marvelous. Our neighbors were sweating away in the summer and we would pull out the shades and enjoy life.

Now, this is my third house that I've put the same things on. I had one for about 10 years, and I got another one because the sunshine runs across the whole back of our house. We have a big patio and a built-up decking that I did myself. I’m 89 years old and I love it, going out there and working in the yard instead of sitting in the shade. And people who came over would always sit out in the backyard with us and look at the pool and the greenery and not sweat away. It was very comfortable.

And it’s unreal how fast these awnings go up. Two guys showed up on each thing and a third guy came the last time. Within an hour, the awning is up and ready to go, especially if you have the lights on it. I also found out when I sold my home of 20 years, that the awning would look like brand-new. I just had to wash off the material. It was great. They’ve got the longevity on it and there’s not much that could go wrong. I get all electric for the winding up and unwind, and it's just gorgeous. It’s easy to use and there’s no ifs or buts about it.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

During the summer on a 90-degree day, the sun sets in the west and our house faces that way. So, we get brilliant sunshine from 1 o'clock onwards and it was heating up the house and making the air conditioner come on more than it should. I thought I could plant trees there. We had some maples when we first moved here 30 years ago and that's kind of a good shade thing. But getting the awning from SunSetter was simpler. It didn't take 20 years to grow, so it helped. We set it up for purchase in May and it was installed June the 26th. So, it took them a month to do it. They may have been busy, but I've purchased an $8,000 brand new train system air conditioning because my air conditioning went out and it was installed the next day. So, it can be done.

Other than that, we got the automatic awning and if there is no electricity, it can be operated manually because we got a retraction rod put there. And I purchased the motion sensor, although I don't really know about that thing because sometimes I watched the trees out here, and it's too windy for that awning to be out. So, I retract it myself. The installers showed me how to do that, but the guys came a second time because the first time, they didn't have it installed to where it blocks the sun. I was starting to get sun at 5:30 in the evening and the sun wasn't setting back then until 8:30. So, they sent a second crew to show me how to readjust it about a foot, he did it, and it worked out. I like it and so far, it works really good as far as blocking the sun on the porch.

Original review: June 25, 2020

I got a vertical awning to keep the rain out and then the other one that I got from Sunsetter is an awning that goes out over a cooking area. The vertical installation went great. However, we got the one that’s the 90% blocking whatever, and it does not keep the rain out at all. So that was about $6,000 I flushed down the toilet. And then the other one the guy did not tell me, “Absolutely do not install this over a grill,” which is exactly what I was buying it for. A guy who worked for me was looking through the SunSetter material after they left and pointed it out. That one got installed in November and then they sent the wrong transformer or something for the light bars. And so, the light bars just finally got installed last week. They are two pretty big deals. The second one was around $5,000. I was excited about the possibility, but in the end was let down.

Original review: June 24, 2020

When I got my Sunsetter awning it was broken. So they sent me a piece. It was the wrong piece. They sent me another piece. I don’t know if it’s the right piece or not. I don’t know how to tear it apart to get the piece put in there. So it’s still broken and I’m waiting on instructions. It’s been a week and a half and I haven't gotten my instructions yet.

Original review: June 23, 2020

We had our SunSetter awning installed in our backyard on the patio and the installer was great. I usually put the awning out in the morning and bring it back in at night. When it’s rolled up, it would be good if it had a cover. Other than that, it does what I want it to do. It makes shade and it goes in and out.

Original review: June 20, 2020

There was a mailing that came out from Sunsetter and that got it started. Somebody in the complex got the awning, and then few more of us got one. The awning has been working fine. We put it out there over our patio and it keeps the sun off of us like it’s supposed to do. You push the button, it comes out. You push the other button, it goes back in. There was a heavy rain that came down and it kinda mist through the covering but it’s not really set up to be a rain shield.

Original review: June 19, 2020

I was referred by a neighbor to SunSetter. The installation was fine. They brought the wrong one, initially, but they made it right and, eventually, brought the right one. I really like the awning. It does what I wanted it to do and I’m very happy with it. It’s good shade and good protection.

SunSetter Awnings author review by ConsumerAffairs

SunSetter Products is America’s largest awning manufacturer. They specialize in retractable deck and patio awnings, freestanding awnings, window awnings and vertical solar shades. Customers can either buy awnings and install it themselves or have a free in-home consultation with SunSetter dealers who can install the awnings.

• Free consultation: The free consultation gives customers a chance to work directly with a SunSetter dealer and get expert advice on awnings and installation.

• Toll-free customer service line: Customer with issues or questions can receive support from their customer service hotline.

• Wide selection: Being the largest manufacturer of deck and patio awnings in America, SunSetter has a wide selection of awnings, fabrics and colors to choose from.

• Customer service: Because they are a national company with many different offices, their customer service varies depending on location.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team