2. Homeowners
Accredited Partner

Malden, MA

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.34/5

SunSetter Awnings is the largest American manufacturer of retractable patio, window and deck awnings. The company produces four different awning types, including motorized and manual hand-cranked models. Most of the awnings attach directly to a structure, but the company does have one freestanding model. The motorized models open and close using a remote control, and the manual model uses a hand crank.

SunSetter Awnings Gallery (1)

BOTTOM LINE

SunSetter Awnings offers many options to meet the needs of any customer or budget. Options include 28 fabric choices, sizes from 8 feet to 20 feet wide and manual or remote retraction.

PROS

• Wide fabric color selection
  • Buy direct or work with a local dealer
  • Option for DIY installation
  • 5 to 10-year limited warranties

CONS

• Limited freestanding model options
  • Installation not included
SunSetter Awnings Get Pricing

Top SunSetter Awnings Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

My father has a SunSetter awning and he gave us one as a gift. He enjoyed his so much that he thought we would enjoy it and we have… That deck was nearly unusable until almost dark and now, we eat dinner out there and we're also there during the day…

We have some friends that have SunSetters and we decided to go with their recommendation. The installation of our awning went really well. So far, we love its reliability. So far, we love its reliability.

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter offers two product lines of awnings: The SunSetter Series and the Platinum Series. Awnings in the SunSetter Series come with a five-year limited warranty, and Platinum Series products come with a 10-year limited warranty.

Awnings are available in widths from 8 feet to 24 feet and extend from 7 feet to 11 feet, 8 inches out, depending on the model. Awnings from SunSetter are made from woven acrylic or laminated fabric and available in 28 colors.

How does SunSetter Awnings work?

Customers can buy awnings directly from the company’s website or from a local SunSetter dealer. If you buy the product directly, you select the product line, model, fabric color and valence style: straight or wavy. You can also choose the awning’s size and type of mounting bracket.

Awnings bought directly from SunSetter come with a 90-day money-back guarantee. When you work with a local SunSetter dealer, you can get expert advice and a free in-home consultation.

SunSetter does not directly offer installation services. Customers can either install the awnings themselves by following the instructions in the booklet and DVD that came with their awning or have them installed professionally by a local SunSetter dealer or a third-party contractor.

SunSetter Awnings prices

SunSetter Awnings cost between $600 to $6,000. The price depends on several factors: size, retraction mechanism, fabric, shape and type.

The most popular model is the SunSetter motorized model, which has an average price of $2,800. The manual version has an average price of $2,300.

SunSetter Series

SunSetter Series awnings are available in two fabric choices: waterproof laminated fabric or water-repellant woven acrylic fabric. All awnings in this product line come with a five-year limited warranty.

ModelPrice Range
XL$3,075 - $4,250
Laminated fabric$599 - $2,980
Acrylic fabric$1,855 - $4,250

Platinum Series

The Platinum Series awnings are made from Sunbrella acrylic fabric that is water repellent and resists mildew, mold and fading. The product line features models that retract into a permanently installed aluminum semi-cassette hood, which helps protect the awning from the elements. Awnings in the Platinum Series come with a 10-year limited warranty, and prices range from $2,600 to $6,000.

ModelPrice Range
Platinum$2,923 - $5,257
Platinum Manual$2,676 - $4,196
Platinum PRO$3,051 - $5,642
Platinum Plus$4,245 - $5,663
Platinum Plus PRO$4,506 - $6,051
XL$4,186 - $6,051

SunSetter Awnings FAQ

How much are SunSetter awnings?
SunSetter Awnings range from $600 to $6,000. The price range for the SunSetter Series is $600 to $4,200, and awnings in the Platinum Series range from $2,600 to $6,000. Manual awnings run between $1,600 to $4,200.
How do you install a SunSetter awning?
For do-it-yourself installation, follow the instructions in the installation booklet and DVD that comes with the awning. Installation takes two to three hours, and all you need is a few simple tools.
  1. Unpack the awning and all its components from the packaging.
  2. Bolt the mounting brackets to a wall on the outside of your home.
  3. Lift the awning into the brackets and push the square bar attached to the awning into the brackets.
  4. Secure the square bar with a retaining bolt in each bracket.
  5. If you have a motorized awning, plug the power cord into your outdoor outlet and use the remote to open the awning. If you have a manual awning, open it using the hand crank.
How do you clean a SunSetter awning?
To clean a SunSetter awning, brush it when it’s dry and then wash it with mild soap and lukewarm water. If that doesn’t do the trick, follow the care and maintenance instructions included with the awning.
Where are SunSetter awnings made?
SunSetter Awnings assembles components manufactured in China and other countries at its 72,000-square-foot facility in Malden, Massachusetts.
How much does it cost to install a SunSetter awning?
It costs between $175 to $450 to have a local SunSetter dealer or a hired professional of your choice install a SunSetter awning. Installation costs range between $6 to $9 per square foot.
Are SunSetter awnings waterproof?
Yes, many of SunSetter’s products are waterproof or water repellant.

Are SunSetter awnings any good?

SunSetter awnings are a good choice for those shopping for an awning. The company offers multiple models, varying widths and a wide selection of fabric colors to fit any customer's needs. Customers have the freedom to buy awnings directly from the company or work with a local dealer. Customers can install the awnings with easy-to-follow instructions, or a local dealer can provide professional installation.

SunSetter Awnings Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: June 1, 2020

We had three tent rooms but we hated them. We tore them all down and since our son-in-law had a SunSetter awning, we called Carol. We got one as well and we just love it. It is 10 x 12, with the nice fabric in a really pretty green to match our house. We have the remote and it works perfectly. We have the awning out most of the time, depending on the wind, and so it works fine. We didn't get the kind that will go by itself in case it’s windy because we figured we didn't need it. We’re always here, particularly now, so we’re able to monitor it. If the wind looks like we don’t like the idea of it up there then we roll it up.

Carol was also absolutely perfect. I don’t know when I’ve ever worked with anybody that was better about telling us things. We’re quite old and a lot of those things don’t mean much to us but she was so good about doing everything. The two men who put the awning in were also absolutely perfect. They were very nice. They even had a little trouble and they had to go above and beyond to get it put in. They were so good and I couldn't have asked for a better time getting an awning. Now, we’re even in the process of getting a screen for it. The people were all very professional and they did a wonderful job. We’re very pleased with our SunSetter. I would tell others that it's very good. In fact, I have three people here in our condo build that are going to order SunSetters. They have been sitting under ours and they like it so well. Our son-in-law is very pleased with their awning too.

Get buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Dealing with SunSetter’s team was fine. Dealing with the local guy was different. I gotta mount mine on the roof. And on the roof, the hood that you buy for the roof got a back side to it. It comes with a back side for the one for the roof. The guy ordered one that goes underneath the eaves so the back side is wide open. They tell me that you can put that on a roof like that, but I don’t want it there because I want to protect the awning from the sun. They say it won’t fade but the sun can fade anything. So, I want the back for it and right now, that’s what I’m waiting for. I spoke to them yesterday and I explained my situation to the guy. The installer down here wanted $160 more to install the piece up on the roof and then whatever the cost of the thing is.

The people at SunSetter are very courteous and very nice. I told them my situation and said, “I really want the back enclosed.” So they’re gonna send me the back piece free of charge. But they got to wait a month or so because everybody’s backed up because of the virus. They’re going back to work up there, so I can understand that. I really want the awning on my deck. I got a nice deck in the back and my wife is not in good health, so I can take her out there in a wheelchair and park her under it and bring her back in the fall. The thing is not mounted. It’s lying on my deck, so I’m looking forward to it. Quality-wise and everything, it looks good.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I thought that SunSetter would come out and put the awning up, but that didn’t happen. There was another company and I wasn’t aware of that. We’re not in town and I didn’t realize that somebody else would come out and put the awning up. And then, I wasn’t happy with them. I have a hot tub and that’s what the awning was going over. They proceeded to stand on the hot tub to put it up and I did not like that. I went out and said, “Hey, what are you doing standing on the hot tub?” They had ladders. They were Hispanic and they said, “Well,” then looked at each other and talked in their talk. I couldn’t understand it.

I turned around and came back in the house. I was mad. That’s when we called the company and told them what was going on. And the rep said, “I will call them right this minute,” and she did. We watched out the window, and pretty quick, one of the installers' phone rang and, evidently, he talked to them on there and everything, and they got everything off. SunSetter called and everything was apologized. I just could not believe the installers were standing on my tub. I wouldn’t stand on it.

As far as SunSetter and the screen that I have, I love it. My hot tub is right outside my kitchen window. And today is our first hot day, and the sun was coming in my kitchen window, warming up my house. I put that SunSetter out, and it took care of the sun on my window. So, it’s serving two different purposes. We can get in the hot tub when it’s raining or snowing, and then we can also get in because we have the cover and that will keep the house cooler or warmer. I had a new patio put on out there and the awning covered the other end of the patio. One end was already covered, it’s fine. And then, that’s where we put the extended awning. It’s awesome. My sisters were over, and the brochure came in the mail, and I said, “Here, you guys, check this out.”

Original review: March 12, 2020

We've had the awning for less than a year and we've used it a little bit but we have a lot of issues. I was not happy at all with the sales guy I dealt with. He was a real pain. I initially got a price from him and I got another price from Costco but then he went through all his crap about supporting local businesses. So finally, I said that if he would give me the price, I would give him the business. So we went that route. But after that, he was never very happy in dealing with me.

After I got the awning delivered, I asked him some questions and he didn’t really wanna answer. I told him I was having some problems with the motor. It would close but it would not open at the certain length. The guy said he could come out to look at it but it was gonna cost me $500. Then he said he would have to take it all down and put it all back up, and he was gonna bring two guys with him. I went, “Wait a minute." I put the thing up by myself. Why would he need three people to take it down and put it back up again?

So I quit dealing with him and I dealt with SunSetter. I worked with them a lot on the phone and they were very helpful. We got to a point where we couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t working. So they sent me a new motor under warranty with the idea that I would send the old motor back. But we had some personal issues throughout the year last summer so I never swapped the motor out. I still have the new motor and with the old motor, what I have to do is to hit the stop button where I want it to stop, which isn’t the end of the world. Actually, I kinda got used to it. But of course I had to tell everybody else so they don’t turn it on and walk away because it's gonna go to the full extent and then close back up again.

But it's our vacation home and we're not up there that much. So I really don’t have a big complaint with SunSetter. There was an issue but they really worked hard to try to fix it and they sent me a motor. But I would never recommend dealing with that salesman. He even told me he's the only guy in the area. But I found out later that there was another guy who’s actually closer to me. Normally, I would just go with the closest person. He lied about that too. So I'm not happy with him at all. As far as SunSetter though, they stood behind their products.

Original review: March 2, 2020

We had previously owned SunSetter Awnings, so we knew exactly what we wanted and what we were getting into. The salesman who showed up at our house to talk to us about it was nice and friendly guy, and it ended up we had some common friends. He was able to answer all the questions. Then the contractor, who was with his adult kids who were helping him out, came, installed it and did a wonderful job. And it was also fun watching him work. Everything went up exactly the way my wife, who is the boss, wanted it. We like that we have our back deck back. They look nice and I love the easy and convenience of pushing a button. It makes something that is unlivable in the heat of the day into a great place to go hanging out. We love SunSetter Awnings. So, the whole experience was fantastic.

The only problem that I have had is how hard it is to program the motor and the remotes, and how they lose programming. It is too complicated. Every now and then, we have had the awnings move on their own with no one pushing a button several times now. I travel for a living and I might be gone for four or five days at a time, and the first time that happened, my wife called me freaking out. So, now we unplug them because the last thing I want is to get that thing to open during a thunderstorm while we are gone. I’ve also talked to SunSetter and we reprogrammed them, and the last time we got it set. But even using the manual, I have trouble trying to program the thing. I almost always have to call customer service people, who are great when I call them, to do it. They talk you through it and we get it done in quick order.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

We bought 16” oasis 11 years ago, really liked it. 5/23/2020 called company to order fabric replacement. Cost $684. 23. Old one did not look good, which is ok. It lasted for 11 years. It took a company 3 months to send a fabric, it is ok too. Pandemic time. We understand that. But on 8/28/2020 when they actually processed the order they charging me twice, 684.23 x 2. So far called them more than 10 times, they were accusing credit company made an error. Provided them with proof. Statement was sent to them. Today is October 12th, still saying it is under review. How long can they review it? If it is clear they charged me twice. Everyone out there, be careful with them. I am really frustrated at this point.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are sorry about the billing issue you have had. This has been an unprecedented year for SunSetter Products, and we apologize for the delay. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

We will reach out to you privately to discuss the next steps.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I bought and had installed a motorized awning last Nov. Ten months later I still can’t use it. When the installation was completed it was fine. In March (before COVID) we had a beautiful day and I tried to use it. It was warped. I contacted customer service and was told it was a maintenance issue and with a helper I could fix it myself and to refer to the manual. This response was very dissatisfying but although I tried they kept to that response. So what choice did I have; I reviewed manual (not helpful) and the video (a bit better). Up on the ladder it didn’t look right and I couldn’t figure it out. I felt stuck and didn’t know what to do. I did know I was disappointed with SunSetter - actually pretty angry. Then COVID hit and there were other things to worry about.

Last month I decided to get help. I’d paid a LOT of money, never been able to use it and SunSetter was not going to help. So my help arrives and I was right. The screws that were supposed to be there to adjust the pitch were missing on both sides. I called SunSetter again. (BTW don’t leave your number. Stay on hold a long time because they will not call you back.) They said they would send units that hold the screws for each side. Eventually I got a package with only one unit. I called again and they said it was on backorder and they have no way of knowing when it would be available; set up and check my account for availability. Again a dissatisfying response.

Now I have to wait until the other unit arrives. Then I have to hire someone to replace the units. The warranty is useless. After spending all that money they accept no responsibility. By the time the other part arrives I wonder if they will even honor the warranty. If I have to pay for it the cost is going to be high because the unit weighs more than 8 lbs (a gallon of milk) and shipping will be expensive. Not only is the warranty worthless, once they get money for their product their response to customers is dead. Please do yourself a favor and buy from anyone else and stay away from SunSetter. Now I’m going to file a complaint with Better Business Bureau. Wish I’d thought of checking them out before I purchased.

Dear Debra,

We are sorry to hear of the issues you have had with your SunSetter Awning. At SunSetter, we take pride in our product quality, our service, and especially the satisfaction of our customers.

We will reach out privately to you to discuss the next steps to making your awning one you will enjoy for years to come.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I had 2 awnings installed in 2019 and spent ten thousand dollars. From the get go, there have been issues preventing my ability to use the awnings since 2019. I have made and documented 100 attempts to contact customer service and still today, a year and a half after installation, I am still unable to use the product. Be careful! This company (and I live in a very populated area) uses local vendors and there is zero follow up for their workmanship. Not to mention it is difficult to reach anyone in customer service. It is a lot of money to pay for a faulty product. I do not even want to give a one star rating.

Dear Charlene,

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with your Awning. We take pride in our workmanship and the satisfaction of our customers.

We will reach out to you privately to discuss the next steps.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

We had positive and negative experiences in our recent purchase of the SunSetter Awning. On the positive side, the installers (KZ carpenting) were efficient, fast and clean. The whole job took less than three hours. They pointed out that the delivery company ABF, left out a small piece of the awning and KZ would reorder the missing piece which they did. This piece was delivered recently. The negative side, I was not told by the sales/company or the delivers that the delivery was CURBSIDE, and I was expected to remove two large cylinders from the truck which weighed about 175 pounds. The driver noticing my age (I'm a senior) and I'm sure this is not the first time he's experienced this unloading situation did the job himself. He had to use a lift and a cart to do this. He refused a tip but I gave him a generous one anyway.

When I complained to the dealer, about the curbside delivery they said they would contact the delivery company but they did NOT. Finally, as you may know if you want to enjoy your awning all summer, order by early May. I put my order in early June and was told that the awning would arrive in three to five weeks and it took almost six weeks. Of course, the price is NOT $599. Unless you want an awning the size of a postage stamp and hand-cranked. Also, the installation price is $475. My awning all toll cost $3,335.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

I have owned a new SunSetter awning for 2 weeks and the motor that drives the automatic opener has died, so they told me. OK, so stuff happens. But they are making me buy a new one at $53 and I can return the one I have now for a credit. What a hassle. I have to pay someone to install it as I know nothing of motor installations. They should send one of their dealers. Great service.

SunSetter Awnings Company Information