Get Pricing

3. Awnings

Malden, MA

4.6/5 (205 ratings)

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter Awnings is the largest American manufacturer of retractable patio, window and deck awnings. The company produces four different awning types, including motorized and manual hand-cranked models. Most of the awnings attach directly to a structure, but the company does have one freestanding model. The motorized models open and close using a remote control, and the manual model uses a hand crank.

Pros

• Wide fabric color selection
  • Buy direct or work with a local dealer
  • Option for DIY installation
  • 5 to 10-year limited warranties

Cons

• Limited freestanding model options
  • Installation not included

Bottom Line

SunSetter Awnings offers many options to meet the needs of any customer or budget. Options include 28 fabric choices, sizes from 8 feet to 20 feet wide and manual or remote retraction.

Top SunSetter Awnings Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My father has a SunSetter awning and he gave us one as a gift. He enjoyed his so much that he thought we would enjoy it and we have… That deck was nearly unusable until almost dar...

Verified

We have some friends that have SunSetters and we decided to go with their recommendation. The installation of our awning went really well. So far, we love its reliability. So far,...

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter offers two product lines of awnings: The SunSetter Series and the Platinum Series. Awnings in the SunSetter Series come with a five-year limited warranty, and Platinum Series products come with a 10-year limited warranty.

Awnings are available in widths from 8 feet to 24 feet and extend from 7 feet to 11 feet, 8 inches out, depending on the model. Awnings from SunSetter are made from woven acrylic or laminated fabric and available in 28 colors.

How does SunSetter Awnings work?

Customers can buy awnings directly from the company’s website or from a local SunSetter dealer. If you buy the product directly, you select the product line, model, fabric color and valence style: straight or wavy. You can also choose the awning’s size and type of mounting bracket.

Awnings bought directly from SunSetter come with a 90-day money-back guarantee. When you work with a local SunSetter dealer, you can get expert advice and a free in-home consultation.

SunSetter does not directly offer installation services. Customers can either install the awnings themselves by following the instructions in the booklet and DVD that came with their awning or have them installed professionally by a local SunSetter dealer or a third-party contractor.

SunSetter Awnings prices

SunSetter Awnings cost between $600 to $6,000. The price depends on several factors: size, retraction mechanism, fabric, shape and type.

The most popular model is the SunSetter motorized model, which has an average price of $2,800. The manual version has an average price of $2,300.

SunSetter Series

SunSetter Series awnings are available in two fabric choices: waterproof laminated fabric or water-repellant woven acrylic fabric. All awnings in this product line come with a five-year limited warranty.

ModelPrice Range
XL$3,075 - $4,250
Laminated fabric$599 - $2,980
Acrylic fabric$1,855 - $4,250

Platinum Series

The Platinum Series awnings are made from Sunbrella acrylic fabric that is water repellent and resists mildew, mold and fading. The product line features models that retract into a permanently installed aluminum semi-cassette hood, which helps protect the awning from the elements. Awnings in the Platinum Series come with a 10-year limited warranty, and prices range from $2,600 to $6,000.

ModelPrice Range
Platinum$2,923 - $5,257
Platinum Manual$2,676 - $4,196
Platinum PRO$3,051 - $5,642
Platinum Plus$4,245 - $5,663
Platinum Plus PRO$4,506 - $6,051
XL$4,186 - $6,051

SunSetter Awnings FAQ

How much are SunSetter awnings?
SunSetter Awnings range from $600 to $6,000. The price range for the SunSetter Series is $600 to $4,200, and awnings in the Platinum Series range from $2,600 to $6,000. Manual awnings run between $1,600 to $4,200.
How do you install a SunSetter awning?
For do-it-yourself installation, follow the instructions in the installation booklet and DVD that comes with the awning. Installation takes two to three hours, and all you need is a few simple tools.
  1. Unpack the awning and all its components from the packaging.
  2. Bolt the mounting brackets to a wall on the outside of your home.
  3. Lift the awning into the brackets and push the square bar attached to the awning into the brackets.
  4. Secure the square bar with a retaining bolt in each bracket.
  5. If you have a motorized awning, plug the power cord into your outdoor outlet and use the remote to open the awning. If you have a manual awning, open it using the hand crank.
How do you clean a SunSetter awning?
To clean a SunSetter awning, brush it when it’s dry and then wash it with mild soap and lukewarm water. If that doesn’t do the trick, follow the care and maintenance instructions included with the awning.
Where are SunSetter awnings made?
SunSetter Awnings assembles components manufactured in China and other countries at its 72,000-square-foot facility in Malden, Massachusetts.
How much does it cost to install a SunSetter awning?
It costs between $175 to $450 to have a local SunSetter dealer or a hired professional of your choice install a SunSetter awning. Installation costs range between $6 to $9 per square foot.
Are SunSetter awnings waterproof?
Yes, many of SunSetter’s products are waterproof or water repellant.

Are SunSetter awnings any good?

SunSetter awnings are a good choice for those shopping for an awning. The company offers multiple models, varying widths and a wide selection of fabric colors to fit any customer's needs. Customers have the freedom to buy awnings directly from the company or work with a local dealer. Customers can install the awnings with easy-to-follow instructions, or a local dealer can provide professional installation.

SunSetter Awnings Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: June 16, 2021

I was remodeling my home. I purchased an awning to just kind of give kind of a facelift on the house. I had interest in doing this for quite some time. I couldn't do it before because I was working, and now I'm recently retired. So, I decided to start remodeling my home this year. And I figured, well, let's work on the outside while it's summer out and everything, do the outside work. And then later on, I'll do the inside during the winter. I saw SunSetter's commercials and I enjoyed what I was looking at. Originally, I was going to get an awning for a deck except I have a basement door. When the guy came out, he said that there's a building code that the deck has to be six feet above the door, which means I couldn't build a deck the way it was. I built a deck going out.

When I had the contractor come out, he explained to me and he also explained to me about the building code. That was one thing I didn't even think of. We decided to go a different way in which we did, and he did the contract. I also spoke to their office about the financing, and everything was adequate. They had to order the part. I placed the order back in April. They finally had the order come in in June. They wanted to make sure that all the pieces were in before they scheduled the installation. A part of it is because there's a lot of permit restrictions. I just followed up with them to make sure that they had the permits and everything before they came out because I have other different projects going on and I didn't want that to get held up.

They came out Saturday. They were scheduled to come out between 12:30 and 4:30, except we had a downpour. I kind of thought that that was going to back up their schedule. What happened was I didn't get a call, and I didn't know if they were still coming out because it was 5 o'clock. I didn't get any status updates that they were still coming. I left a message with the office to have somebody call me, and I didn't hear back from anybody. So I called back my salesperson, Larry. I asked him if he could follow up on his end because I told him that I was scheduled to have an installation that day. I know because of the rain, things were backed up, but I didn't get a status update. Finally, he said, "Okay. Let me check on it. And I'll get back to you." About half an hour later, he called me back and told me that they were still coming out.

They came out at 6 o'clock. By that time, it was sunny out. The two guys that came out were great. They checked out everything, and they did the installation. They explained to me how the awning works manually and with the remote control. They did a great job putting it up and explaining how it worked. Overall, the follow-up should have been better. Everything was proactive on my end. I didn't know what was going on, and I was at home between 12:30 and 4:00. I could have done other things on a Saturday afternoon instead of waiting. I was very disappointed that there was no follow-up if they were late or if they were coming. Other than that, everything else was good.

Get buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2021

We bought a new house up here in Gardnerville in Nevada and we thought it would be the right thing to put an awning outside. We got ahold of SunSetter and a gentleman of Reno came out. We went through all the different options and we bought their awning. When I went online and looked at some of the reviews, it was said that there were problems with SunSetter's customer service. But the gentleman that I dealt with told me that I don't have to call customer service and to call him instead. He would take care of things. He was very helpful.

He explained to us that we could buy the awning and install it ourselves. That would have been cheaper but I was not going to do that. The people that I was looking at on the internet had problems getting any satisfaction with customer service on their own. It's better to have somebody from SunSetter do the installation. The gentleman said that if something's wrong with the awning, I could call him.

I got the Platinum Series awning and we love it. It's 18 feet long and the gentleman said that we shouldn't put it on the roof. It's really heavy. Our neighbor down the street bought an awning too. The gentleman installed it the same day as ours. I really like that our awning automatically closes when it gets over 25 miles an hour wind. We sit in the valley and there's a ranch behind us that's about 600 acres. We get some wind but I don't have to worry about it as the awning automatically closes.

Our awning keeps the sun out and we can use the backyard more. We can go out on there and spend more time. Even in the wintertime, we go out and use it as long as it's not really windy out. That way, it makes our patio a lot bigger. Our awning is not the cheapest thing in the world but it's well worth it. We're probably going to buy another 12-foot awning.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I wanted more shade. SunSetter was the only product I could find support for in Fort Lauderdale. I went on the internet, searched for awnings and came up with three different people. They all sold SunSetter Awnings, and two of them worked for the same company. I got a remote controlled electric awning. The installers came in the morning. I greeted them. We went to where we should go. When they were done, they called me and showed me how everything worked.

So far, everything is okay. The only thing is the remote control is a nightmare to program on the operator side. It was the only thing that I asked the installers to come back a couple of days later to have it programmed. I tried to set and program it myself. I work in IT. I don’t know why it’s so hard to program that thing. I spent hours on the internet on watching Youtube and trying to follow the steps, but it was a nightmare. In my mind, it should be much easier to program a 3-button remote control that controls two different awnings. But otherwise, once it's programmed, it works very nicely. I can even use it from my phone. So once set up, it seems to be working good

SunSetter Awnings response
    We are glad to hear you are enjoying your new SunSetter and that you received solid service from your local independent SunSetter dealer. We take pride in the reliability of our products, the quality of our service, and especially the satisfaction of our customers.

We are sorry to hear you had some difficulty initially programming your remote control, and hope it does not give you any more issues. Please contact us at your earliest convenience should you need any further help.

We hope you enjoy your new SunSetter for years to come!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

This is the second awning I purchased through SunSetter. I bought a new house and I knew that the first thing I would put on up to the deck was the awning. Their team was wonderful and I was very pleased with them. I got the 18-foot motorized awning with floodlights but I can't figure out how to turn the lights on. I was going to call one of their reps, but I haven't done it yet. Other than that, I would buy again and again from them.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are pleased you have returned to SunSetter for your new home and that you received great service from your local independent SunSetter Dealer. We take great pride in the reliability of our products, the quality of our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

We hope you enjoy your new SunSetter for many years to come. We will reach out to you privately regarding the functionality of your lighting system.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

We've owned a SunSetter before. We had them installed when we lived in Hawaii. We just moved here about a year and a half ago. So, we had an experience with the product. They've got a lot of advertisements on TV and they also get some things via email or through the web. It was a combination of all those things that said that was what we need to do.

There was a broad array of options on the brochure that was provided. When we went online, there was a lot of data, a lot of pictures, a lot of things, so we could see what it would look like. The other nice thing about it is that there's an app that allows you to take a picture of your house or where you think you want it and then Photoshop or insert what it would look like if it was there. So, that was good. That sort of takes some of the guesswork out of it. The only roadblock that we ran into, which had nothing to do with SunSetter or the rep, was we had to get the homeowners association to agree that this was okay. They initially pushed back on us, saying we couldn't have a scalloped versus a straight-lined edge and some other administrivia.

We then proceeded to walk around the neighborhood and took pictures of places where it existed. We sent them back and said, "Hey, you got a problem here if you're gonna deny us this because it's already here. So, now you got 20 or so other properties now you have to go back and retroactively fix." They folded, and everything was fine. So, we proceeded.

We have a western exposure, so that if we wanted to dine outside or sit outside and watch TV where I have it installed in the afternoon, it made it not possible to not have it glaring in your face. So, we either had to wait till the sun went down to eat at our dining room table outside or not eat there at all. What our Sunsetter allowed us to do was do both of those things and give us another 12 feet of shade that shielded the living area from that afternoon sun. So, that was a good thing.

I definitely will recommend SunSetter to others. In fact, I already have, and I have a neighbor that came up to look at them and they said they wanna do the same thing. So, we absolutely would do that. Shane was great. He was a great representative and was very responsive. The only thing that they could do better with the product itself is the extension cord that plugs into the outlet. They got only two choices, a 12 or an 18-foot extension cord. The outlet's right next to the awnings, so they had to roll them up and sort of tuck them in behind in order to hide them in behind the awning hardware.

I told to Shane, "I don't understand why you don't have like a 1 or 2-foot extension cord. Isn't that an option or can't you modify it?" He said, "No. We only got the 12 or the 18-foot or the 20-foot. And we'll just have to sort of loop it up, and we'll try to make it so you don't see it." He tried as best as he could. We can see it. It's bulky, but it's not a showstopper.

Another thing is we have considerable amount of wind here where we are located, occasionally, and the fringe along the little part that hangs down has frayed because it's been whipped by the wind over the last three months. I know that eventually that can be replaced, but the material itself did fray a little bit due to being whipped around by the wind. It's really not a big deal because it looks fine. If we wanted, they could replace it, but then we'd have to spend again.

Original review: June 15, 2021

My experience with SunSetter was excellent. We love the awning. I would recommend them very highly.

Original review: June 15, 2021

The SunSetter team was very good and the group that we worked with was excellent and kept us informed. The guy even gave me his direct cell phone number and told me to text him and he would get somebody out right away, or if I had any questions. So it was nice that I had that immediate go-to person if I had any issues at all. I bought an awning that’s a higher-end model, which is retractable. It also has the screen in the front that we can drop down and the wind sensor.

The guy who was in charge of the installation spent some real-time making sure that they had it lined up the way we wanted. We had one installed on our upper deck and one on our lower. So, he wanted to make sure that the upper one was directly in line with the lower one, and how we wanted. Once they started, they got right after it and got it done. Then, they showed us how to use it properly, so they did good. We use the awning any afternoon that we have sun and we also drop the front screen down once we get into the evening hours. SunSetter Awnings have the best quality. I would highly recommend them as well as the dealer that we used for that and even the salesperson. They all did phenomenal.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very pleased to hear about your top-notch experience with your SunSetter Awnings and your local independent SunSetter dealer. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

We hope you continue to enjoy your awnings for years to come!

Original review: June 15, 2021

The person that came into my home was very nice, kind, and gentle. I chose the color and they told me how the awning worked. I really didn’t know too much about what I was doing, but they helped me. But the awning is still out there. I'm waiting until I can get my grill and everything up and all of that.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are glad to hear about your great experience with your SunSetter Awning and your local independent SunSetter dealer. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

We will reach out to you privately regarding your grill. Please don't hesitate to contact us should you need further assistance. We want you to continue to enjoy your SunSetter for years to come.

Original review: June 14, 2021

SunSetter took about three or four weeks from manufacturing the awning to the point of installation. Everything's taking too long right now because of COVID. The installers came when I wasn't home because we had other plans but they installed the awning and it was fine. The awning lowers the heat out there and it looks nice. I thought that I had done quite a bit of research but I realized I hadn't because I wish that I had known that I could have had a built-in front netting thing to stop the sun. You don't know sometimes until it's extended how much you need that front piece to keep the sun. The awning faces the sun and the reps could not have known exactly how much they needed either at the time. But now, they're trying to comply with it by making one at the company. Also, the side pieces, which we ordered afterwards, could come in other colors.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I had been looking at awnings for a couple of years and I decided to pull the trigger on SunStter with the free gift that came along with it. I got a big motorized retractable awning that is beige or sand in color. Guys came out, put up the awning, and tested it. So far, I really like the awning. It's over my deck and it does what it is designed to do. It shades the sun off my deck. It's well worth the investment.

SunSetter Awnings Company Information