4.44/5

Malden, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunSetter Awnings offer both manual and motorized awnings that provide shade and protection, transforming your patio or deck. Our awnings provide cool shade that can help in those hot and humid months and helps keep the inside of your home cooler by blocking the sun's rays from coming in your windows and doors.

We want to provide you with the highest quality awnings at the absolute best prices. We provide a free in-home consultation and are committed to a long-term relationship with our customers.

SunSetter Awnings Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1831 SunSetter Awnings Consumer Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: June 2, 2019

Our SunSetter awning came down with broken rafters. This has no reflection on the salesperson, but we've been waiting to repair and put it back up because of the rain. And it has not been done yet. It's laying in my garage. The thing that automatically recalls it did not work during a rainstorm. So, when I woke up in the morning, there was water on it, and it was standing about 3 feet above the ground instead of 6 or 7 feet up high. So, I called and the guy that installed it came out. When they installed it, they put two bolts and two rafters on one side. And they only used one on the other side instead of two on both sides. So, we both felt that it was not installed properly. But he tightened it to see if he could get it, and I was in the house when he was doing this. And when he tightened it, I could hear this sound and all three of the rafters that it was hooked to cracked. They can be replaced and Dan and I had talked about it a couple of times.

The last time I talked to him, I said, "I think I would just like to have my money back. I don't really like the experience." So, I don't know what he's doing about it. I don't know if he's even reported this. I don't know how to proceed. I didn't realize how windy it gets out here. I only moved here about eight months ago. And I couldn't tell them that because I hadn't experienced a winter here. But now that I have, I don't think I want it up. It just doesn't fit this type of area. And the salesperson has been very nice, but he's offering to come out and make the repairs himself. I don't want him to do that. I want a professional contractor to do it because I'm gonna sell this house in about three to four months, and I have to be able to say it's structurally sound.

If it wasn't in this area, I would tell a friend to get SunSetter. They responded to me. It hasn't been an unpleasant experience. It's just that the issue is not resolved. Now, that I've not had it up, and after this long timeframe, I would rather just have my money back. It's not SunSetter's fault. I think they're good company. I used them because I've heard of them before. And in fact, one of the houses I almost bought in Riverside instead of coming out here had one of the awnings. And I loved it. You just push a button. It goes out. You can pull it back if you want more light in the house. And that's one of the reasons why I did this. But, it doesn't work where I am. I'd recommend SunSetter to a friend.

Get expert buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I researched this product quite a bit after trying other methods of shading our southwest facing rear deck with temporary and fixed structures which all had weather issues sails and canopies. A motorized awning with automatic wind protection seemed to me to be the best option short of a project to enclose a portion of the deck and modify our roof line. Awnings have some weather limits since they are not intended to be load bearing structures. But within those limits they could economically meet my need. To find out if this could work for you.

Number 1 the website will contain the answers to any questions you will have. Number 2 read as much on the web and YouTube videos as you can find. Number 3 look at your site and determine the size and model that would fit your needs, think about sightlines and sun angles to determine what is required. Number 4 after getting all the information decide whether you will need a contractor's help for install or if you will install or oversee the install. I am average at DIY projects and after some review of the mounting methods for the brackets was able to mount them in a couple of hours. If you select the right awning and locate the brackets level, plumb, and properly spaced per instructions you are >90% done. The actual install takes a no more than an hour with a couple of extra hands to lift and clamp the mounting bar into the brackets and adjusting the pitch.

The product is very well engineered, instructions are very detailed and hardware provided is first rate either hot dip galvanized or stainless steel. I did have to supplement the provided hardware for the brackets with some 1" long 1" diameter aluminium spacers with a slightly larger ID than the 3/8" lag bolts I found on Amazon. Because I had vinyl siding mounted on a compressible foam sheathing board. This also meant I used lag bolts 1" longer than normal for the bracket attachments.

Most of the complaints I read while researching revolved around the delivery process or a contractor install. This is a large piece of real freight not a 5 pound FedEx box, the delivery process can take 14 days after it leaves the factory and someone will need to be there when it arrives and sign for it. You also need to be able to shield it from weather until install day. It sat in my garage on a convertible hand cart for a month until I had time and weather to install it. Contractors are a mixed bag, I wouldn't think of getting one unless they had installed the product you have on the type of wall you have and you have spoken to that customer on their satisfaction.

They are a little more than than some of the other options but can be purchased with significant discounts during low demand periods of the year and larger discounts to Costco members, often with common options included for no additional costs such as the wind sensor. If a rain sensor was available I would be interested since I have low pitch installation but I can't find one yet.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

It gets hot here in Sebring. Last month, the thermometer in the backyard was reading over a 100. I wanted to do an aluminum closure, but the counties down here are crazy with their permits and anything that’s permanently attached isn’t tax-free. So, I decided to purchase an awning. The people from SunSetter Awnings did a great job. Joe, the guy who came in, was a very nice man. He went over a whole bunch of stuff and he was very thorough.

We looked at the book which has the material in it and gives you a good view of what the pattern actually is. It has colors that SunSetter's TV advertisements do not show and they should show all those colors because some people would like different ones. I picked one out of the pamphlet and then Joe called me up a couple of days later. He said that they didn't have that color at the time, but it would take about three weeks to get it when you order it. A week later, he called me and said SunSetter got the color in so I could still get it if I want it. I told him to change the order back to the original one we picked and everything worked out well.

Joe, together with the technical guy that he had with him, also did the installation and I was very impressed with them. Joe kept me informed of everything including shipping, they did what they were supposed to do, and they had all the tools they needed so they didn’t have to go running around for nothing. They even changed some things as far as the way they wired the awning to the way I wanted it. The only issue I had was they forgot the side curtains that came with the package deal that I bought, but it was no problem. I called them up about that and Joe said they got the curtains. Then in about ten minutes, he called me back and asked me if he could bring the curtains the following week, which he did.

I’m pleased with the awning. It works fine and I got the remote control on it. It also does what they say it would do. It cuts the temperature down and you could sit out there when it’s 90 degrees and you’re not dying. You put the awning back and you’re soaking wet in ten minutes. The only thing you gotta do is remember to close it. I bought the wind sensor thing, but still, I have to close the awning because when it poured rain and it got wet, I hit the button standing there waiting for the water to come off, and the water came but the sensor didn't let me know it was coming so I got soaked.

I was not happy with the light kit that came with the awning too. It has cords in between it that are kinda curled up like crinkly or curly fries. I’m 6’4 and the outside back comes in just a little bit lower than 7 foot. Those wires hung down and when I'd walk out there, they were about to touch my head. So, I called SunSetter up, talked to Joe and asked him if I could get some of the little plastic clips they have to hang with the lights.

He called me back a day later and said that SunSetter would ship me those for nothing. I told him I'd pay them since that was something I wanted extra to put up there, so the wires would be out of the way. He said, "No," and told me I could send them back if I want. He then gave me a phone number to call which I called really quick. The rep who answered the phone was also nice. I was told that the clips were shipped the day before I called and I should have them the next day. So, I can't complain about that. The awning's got a wind warranty on it as well so if anything goes wrong with it, SunSetter will fix it. I'd recommend SunSetter to everybody. They’re not cheap, but they’re good. I’m very, very happy with them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

We’ve been customers with SunSetter Awnings for a long time. We started out in the 80s buying an awning and their product is absolutely fantastic. Their flagpoles are resistant to anything and they are wonderful products. However, their downfall is their shipping. They say it’s free shipping but they use UPS. On one of our purchases, I kept calling and saying, “You said it would be two weeks, now it’s three weeks. Where is it? Now, it’s four weeks.” They said that UPS lost it. Those were 12 feet long tubes and they lost two of them, so the summer was practically over before we got them. We ordered an Oasis, a new product that's free-standing, and a regular one to be attached. I ordered them in June, but we got them in August.

I ordered another one again and the product itself was excellent. And just recently, I ordered another one and it came through UPS. The man from the UPS who delivered it wrote an ink on the label that the tube, which is tough hardboard, had been punctured, but they didn’t see any reasonable damage. I called SunSetter and I said that we haven’t opened it because I needed a handyman to put them up. I also read to them what the note read and I said, “So when we open it up, if there is any damage, I want you to be aware of it.” The customer service team was excellent and they were apologetic. I called to say that there was a slice in the tube and they said that they took all my notes down. They also said, “We tell them not to use a forklift but many times they do and using a forklift, they puncture the tube.”

SunSetter is an excellent product and I don’t think it can be beaten. Since we lost the whole summer with the UPS losing the product, at a certain point, I said to them, “The summer will be gone and we still don’t have it. Can you just order us a new one?” They said they make them as they are ordered and they are not something that is kept in stock. I finally convinced them to create two new ones for us and get it within the two weeks that they promised. Within a week, the original ones appeared, so I quickly called them and canceled the second order. They were very accommodating in trying to placate us by saying, “We’ll throw in a free cover and a few other items,” that are accessories that we didn’t need. They tried to be accommodating by giving us those items for free which were about a total of $500 retail, which was considerate.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very pleased to hear that you are enjoying your SunSetter Awnings and your flagpoles. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers, and we particularly enjoy hearing from our long-standing customers.

Regarding UPS Freight, they generally provide reliable, high-quality delivery services to SunSetter owners. We apologize that you did not get to experience them at their best.

Please don't hesitate to contact us should you need any assistance. We hope you enjoy your awning for years to come!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

When I work out in the yard, I don’t have any place to go without getting right in the sun. I’ve also got a table and chairs out there and I’ve been wanting an awning for a long time to put on this deck at the back. Then I got SunSetter brochures in the mail that said that you would get $350 off if you would order it by a certain time, plus you would get six patio lights to go across it. When I called them to get an estimate on it, they came right away and they put the order in that night. Then it came here in about three weeks, but I didn’t like the way they delivered it. The guy just pulled up in front of the house and opened up the back of the truck, pushed it out, and dragged it into the garage.

We had to have the awning installed on the top of the house because there was not enough room above the door to put it. They had three guys to install it and it didn’t take ‘em too long. Then as quick as the guys unrolled it, I saw that it had spots all over right away. They got the ladder out and got up there and they said that it was where the ink dye dropped and went all the way through it. For the price I paid, I wasn’t gonna accept it. So they ordered a new replacement canvass that night and I got it within three weeks. But, they have never come to replace it.

The second time I called SunSetter, I told them that the new replacement was here. I also asked how I could order one of those wind sensors to put on there, so if I'd be in the house and wind would come up, it wouldn't damage the awning. They then said that they would order the wind sensor and pay for it. Then I could just pay them $295 plus tax when they would come out to install this new canvass and the wind sensor. So I’ve got a bunch of money tied up with this awning, but it’s gonna be worth it. Sunsetter advertises that if you’re under their awning, it’s 20 degrees cooler than it is outside. But on a really hot day, I stayed under the awning and it did go down 10 degrees, so it does help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I have had SunSetter for years. If I didn't want them, I wouldn't have got another brand-new one. With the other one, you have to take out and you pull out, and I wanted the automatic one. So I gave the other one to a friend of mine and I bought the automatic one which is beautiful. I just have to push the button and it comes out. Jimmy, the guy who installed it, was a great guy. He did a nice job. He gave me everything I wanted and he helped me out a lot. He was very good.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I've had a SunSetter before and I like my new SunSetter awning. It’s very pretty and does what I want. The installation took a couple of hours and the SunSetter team was very good, but they never took away the old awning. I'm very happy and I'd recommend SunSetter. If anybody looks into them, it’s a good company.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

The SunSetter people who installed the motorized awning were very good and considerate. They showed me how to use it and I also had them take it back up in case of a storm, that I didn't have electricity. It was a good job.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I stay out in my garage an awful lot of times and I wanted to have something for the front of my garage. I've watched SunSetter ads on TV, I called them and they got a good man out here that’s doing the Sacramento area. I talked to him before and I knew his family. He had a partner with him and they just boom, boom, boom, and the awning was up really fast. I use it every day and everything looks good. The $4,000 was the only drawback but other than that, it has been a really good experience.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I ordered a SunSetter Awning on the 12th of August. Today is the 12 of September and I still do not have the product. I realize that UPS freight is the major problem but I would think SunSetter would be more help than "I'm sorry"! I have contact both SunSetter and UPS several times and nothing happens. Good luck with receiving your awning.

SunSetter Awnings expert review by ConsumerAffairs

SunSetter Products is America’s largest awning manufacturer. They specialize in retractable deck and patio awnings, freestanding awnings, window awnings and vertical solar shades. Customers can either buy awnings and install it themselves or have a free in-home consultation with SunSetter dealers who can install the awnings.

• Free consultation: The free consultation gives customers a chance to work directly with a SunSetter dealer and get expert advice on awnings and installation.

• Toll-free customer service line: Customer with issues or questions can receive support from their customer service hotline.

• Wide selection: Being the largest manufacturer of deck and patio awnings in America, SunSetter has a wide selection of awnings, fabrics and colors to choose from.

• Customer service: Because they are a national company with many different offices, their customer service varies depending on location.

• Best for: Homeowners, Business Owners