Get Pricing

3. Awnings

Malden, MA

4.7/5 (381 ratings)

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter Awnings is the largest American manufacturer of retractable patio, window and deck awnings. The company produces four different awning types, including motorized and manual hand-cranked models. Most of the awnings attach directly to a structure, but the company does have one freestanding model. The motorized models open and close using a remote control, and the manual model uses a hand crank.

Pros

• Wide fabric color selection
  • Buy direct or work with a local dealer
  • Option for DIY installation
  • 5 to 10-year limited warranties

Cons

• Limited freestanding model options
  • Installation not included

Bottom Line

SunSetter Awnings offers many options to meet the needs of any customer or budget. Options include 28 fabric choices, sizes from 8 feet to 20 feet wide and manual or remote retraction.

Top SunSetter Awnings Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My father has a SunSetter awning and he gave us one as a gift. He enjoyed his so much that he thought we would enjoy it and we have… That deck was nearly unusable until almost dar...

Verified

We have some friends that have SunSetters and we decided to go with their recommendation. The installation of our awning went really well. So far, we love its reliability. So far,...

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter offers two product lines of awnings: The SunSetter Series and the Platinum Series. Awnings in the SunSetter Series come with a five-year limited warranty, and Platinum Series products come with a 10-year limited warranty.

Awnings are available in widths from 8 feet to 24 feet and extend from 7 feet to 11 feet, 8 inches out, depending on the model. Awnings from SunSetter are made from woven acrylic or laminated fabric and available in 28 colors.

How does SunSetter Awnings work?

Customers can buy awnings directly from the company’s website or from a local SunSetter dealer. If you buy the product directly, you select the product line, model, fabric color and valence style: straight or wavy. You can also choose the awning’s size and type of mounting bracket.

Awnings bought directly from SunSetter come with a 90-day money-back guarantee. When you work with a local SunSetter dealer, you can get expert advice and a free in-home consultation.

SunSetter does not directly offer installation services. Customers can either install the awnings themselves by following the instructions in the booklet and DVD that came with their awning or have them installed professionally by a local SunSetter dealer or a third-party contractor.

SunSetter Awnings prices

SunSetter Awnings cost between $600 to $6,000. The price depends on several factors: size, retraction mechanism, fabric, shape and type.

The most popular model is the SunSetter motorized model, which has an average price of $2,800. The manual version has an average price of $2,300.

SunSetter Series

SunSetter Series awnings are available in two fabric choices: waterproof laminated fabric or water-repellant woven acrylic fabric. All awnings in this product line come with a five-year limited warranty.

ModelPrice Range
XL$3,075 - $4,250
Laminated fabric$599 - $2,980
Acrylic fabric$1,855 - $4,250

Platinum Series

The Platinum Series awnings are made from Sunbrella acrylic fabric that is water repellent and resists mildew, mold and fading. The product line features models that retract into a permanently installed aluminum semi-cassette hood, which helps protect the awning from the elements. Awnings in the Platinum Series come with a 10-year limited warranty, and prices range from $2,600 to $6,000.

ModelPrice Range
Platinum$2,923 - $5,257
Platinum Manual$2,676 - $4,196
Platinum PRO$3,051 - $5,642
Platinum Plus$4,245 - $5,663
Platinum Plus PRO$4,506 - $6,051
XL$4,186 - $6,051

SunSetter Awnings FAQ

How much are SunSetter awnings?
SunSetter Awnings range from $600 to $6,000. The price range for the SunSetter Series is $600 to $4,200, and awnings in the Platinum Series range from $2,600 to $6,000. Manual awnings run between $1,600 to $4,200.
How do you install a SunSetter awning?
For do-it-yourself installation, follow the instructions in the installation booklet and DVD that comes with the awning. Installation takes two to three hours, and all you need is a few simple tools.
  1. Unpack the awning and all its components from the packaging.
  2. Bolt the mounting brackets to a wall on the outside of your home.
  3. Lift the awning into the brackets and push the square bar attached to the awning into the brackets.
  4. Secure the square bar with a retaining bolt in each bracket.
  5. If you have a motorized awning, plug the power cord into your outdoor outlet and use the remote to open the awning. If you have a manual awning, open it using the hand crank.
How do you clean a SunSetter awning?
To clean a SunSetter awning, brush it when it’s dry and then wash it with mild soap and lukewarm water. If that doesn’t do the trick, follow the care and maintenance instructions included with the awning.
Where are SunSetter awnings made?
SunSetter Awnings assembles components manufactured in China and other countries at its 72,000-square-foot facility in Malden, Massachusetts.
How much does it cost to install a SunSetter awning?
It costs between $175 to $450 to have a local SunSetter dealer or a hired professional of your choice install a SunSetter awning. Installation costs range between $6 to $9 per square foot.
Are SunSetter awnings waterproof?
Yes, many of SunSetter’s products are waterproof or water repellant.

Are SunSetter awnings any good?

SunSetter awnings are a good choice for those shopping for an awning. The company offers multiple models, varying widths and a wide selection of fabric colors to fit any customer's needs. Customers have the freedom to buy awnings directly from the company or work with a local dealer. Customers can install the awnings with easy-to-follow instructions, or a local dealer can provide professional installation.

SunSetter Awnings Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I had two companies come out and the salesman from SunSetter was a lot better at explaining the awning. At the time, they had a few deals that helped me make up my mind on it. They gave $500 off plus a free wind device that will close the awning up automatically by itself if it gets too windy. The people came out and measured for it. The gentleman said what the price would be. I asked how long it will take and he said about five weeks and that I'll get a call within five weeks to actually install it. He didn't ask any down which was surprising to me.

They called up and said they would be able to be out at a certain time. They came and installed it relatively quickly. The guy putting it up was very knowledgeable and explained everything about the awning, how to work it, and any problems we might have. He also said that if I have any problems, call the main office and they would take care of it. After I had the awning, I opened it one time and then, I waited about a week to open it again because it was really rainy out and it wouldn't work. I called to talk to customer service. They ran me through some things and we still couldn't get it to work.

I called the main office and talked to a gentleman named Matt who was the owner of Weather Armor. He sent out a guy to check it and we found out that the motor was shot. He ordered another motor and it was sent out via FedEx. Within several days, we received it and they came out and put it in. It opened up and ran fine. But then there was a power outage and it wouldn't work so they had to send somebody out again to reset it.

The last time the guys came, I told them that there seemed to be a problem when the awning closes. One of the arms doesn't close as far as it should. They adjusted that and reset it. So far, after that, it's been working okay. They've had to come out several times, but they were very nice on the phone. If I had a problem with it and call, they'll come out and fix it if there is one. I have been pretty happy about that. The quality of the product is good too. I just had the experience with a bad motor, but that could have happened to anybody.

Get buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2021

A neighbor had a SunSetter awning and I bought my daughter one six years ago, and it worked out all right for them. My neighbor's had his for 30 years. My daughter has had hers about six years. And I needed it. It has been proven that it works. The rep came out and they didn't have the color I wanted in the five-year warranty, but they had it in the 10-year warranty. After I already signed the contract, he said, “No problem. We'll put that one up and it will be a 10-year warranty instead of the five.” I said, “Hey, fantastic. That's great.” The two guys who came installed the awning within an hour. It didn't take up my time, even though I'm just hanging around watching. But they said they would be here at a certain time, they were.

The awning does drop the temperature 20 degrees. On my deck, I'm facing south, and it gets hot out there. That awning works. And it's efficient. You can take it in and take it out. And the wind was blowing the other day and I got the sensor on it, and I was gone, I came back, and the awning was in. That wind sensor works and it's a good thing to have there, too. I couldn't be more satisfied with it. So far, it has proven everything that I wanted and what SunSetter said it would be.

I just had it open now and it just rained. But I only had it half open, so I had to let it dry off before I roll it up. That's not a concern, but it's something that you should do. If you don't, it will mold. I know it will mold when it gets wet if you had it rolled up. Because my neighbor's is about 30 years and his is molding a bit on the front cover. I asked the guy then, too, because the neighbor asked me to ask SunSetter how much it would cost just to get the awning replaced. It's around $1,500. I said, “Well, that seems pretty high, but I'll tell him anyway.” When I told him, he said that he didn't think he paid for it that much when he bought it new. I said, “Well, 30 years ago, you probably didn't.” I'm very satisfied with it. But the price is high. And most people probably won't get it because of that price. That's the only negative thing. That's a lot of money to invest in something like that that most people aren't sure of. If it was a bit cheaper, I'm sure more people would get one.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I was remodeling my home. I purchased an awning to just kind of give kind of a facelift on the house. I had interest in doing this for quite some time. I couldn't do it before because I was working, and now I'm recently retired. So, I decided to start remodeling my home this year. And I figured, well, let's work on the outside while it's summer out and everything, do the outside work. And then later on, I'll do the inside during the winter. I saw SunSetter's commercials and I enjoyed what I was looking at. Originally, I was going to get an awning for a deck except I have a basement door. When the guy came out, he said that there's a building code that the deck has to be six feet above the door, which means I couldn't build a deck the way it was. I built a deck going out.

When I had the contractor come out, he explained to me and he also explained to me about the building code. That was one thing I didn't even think of. We decided to go a different way in which we did, and he did the contract. I also spoke to their office about the financing, and everything was adequate. They had to order the part. I placed the order back in April. They finally had the order come in in June. They wanted to make sure that all the pieces were in before they scheduled the installation. A part of it is because there's a lot of permit restrictions. I just followed up with them to make sure that they had the permits and everything before they came out because I have other different projects going on and I didn't want that to get held up.

They came out Saturday. They were scheduled to come out between 12:30 and 4:30, except we had a downpour. I kind of thought that that was going to back up their schedule. What happened was I didn't get a call, and I didn't know if they were still coming out because it was 5 o'clock. I didn't get any status updates that they were still coming. I left a message with the office to have somebody call me, and I didn't hear back from anybody. So I called back my salesperson, Larry. I asked him if he could follow up on his end because I told him that I was scheduled to have an installation that day. I know because of the rain, things were backed up, but I didn't get a status update. Finally, he said, "Okay. Let me check on it. And I'll get back to you." About half an hour later, he called me back and told me that they were still coming out.

They came out at 6 o'clock. By that time, it was sunny out. The two guys that came out were great. They checked out everything, and they did the installation. They explained to me how the awning works manually and with the remote control. They did a great job putting it up and explaining how it worked. Overall, the follow-up should have been better. Everything was proactive on my end. I didn't know what was going on, and I was at home between 12:30 and 4:00. I could have done other things on a Saturday afternoon instead of waiting. I was very disappointed that there was no follow-up if they were late or if they were coming. Other than that, everything else was good.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I wanted more shade. SunSetter was the only product I could find support for in Fort Lauderdale. I went on the internet, searched for awnings and came up with three different people. They all sold SunSetter Awnings, and two of them worked for the same company. I got a remote controlled electric awning. The installers came in the morning. I greeted them. We went to where we should go. When they were done, they called me and showed me how everything worked.

So far, everything is okay. The only thing is the remote control is a nightmare to program on the operator side. It was the only thing that I asked the installers to come back a couple of days later to have it programmed. I tried to set and program it myself. I work in IT. I don’t know why it’s so hard to program that thing. I spent hours on the internet on watching Youtube and trying to follow the steps, but it was a nightmare. In my mind, it should be much easier to program a 3-button remote control that controls two different awnings. But otherwise, once it's programmed, it works very nicely. I can even use it from my phone. So once set up, it seems to be working good

SunSetter Awnings response
    We are glad to hear you are enjoying your new SunSetter and that you received solid service from your local independent SunSetter dealer. We take pride in the reliability of our products, the quality of our service, and especially the satisfaction of our customers.

We are sorry to hear you had some difficulty initially programming your remote control, and hope it does not give you any more issues. Please contact us at your earliest convenience should you need any further help.

We hope you enjoy your new SunSetter for years to come!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

We've owned a SunSetter before. We had them installed when we lived in Hawaii. We just moved here about a year and a half ago. So, we had an experience with the product. They've got a lot of advertisements on TV and they also get some things via email or through the web. It was a combination of all those things that said that was what we need to do.

There was a broad array of options on the brochure that was provided. When we went online, there was a lot of data, a lot of pictures, a lot of things, so we could see what it would look like. The other nice thing about it is that there's an app that allows you to take a picture of your house or where you think you want it and then Photoshop or insert what it would look like if it was there. So, that was good. That sort of takes some of the guesswork out of it. The only roadblock that we ran into, which had nothing to do with SunSetter or the rep, was we had to get the homeowners association to agree that this was okay. They initially pushed back on us, saying we couldn't have a scalloped versus a straight-lined edge and some other administrivia.

We then proceeded to walk around the neighborhood and took pictures of places where it existed. We sent them back and said, "Hey, you got a problem here if you're gonna deny us this because it's already here. So, now you got 20 or so other properties now you have to go back and retroactively fix." They folded, and everything was fine. So, we proceeded.

We have a western exposure, so that if we wanted to dine outside or sit outside and watch TV where I have it installed in the afternoon, it made it not possible to not have it glaring in your face. So, we either had to wait till the sun went down to eat at our dining room table outside or not eat there at all. What our Sunsetter allowed us to do was do both of those things and give us another 12 feet of shade that shielded the living area from that afternoon sun. So, that was a good thing.

I definitely will recommend SunSetter to others. In fact, I already have, and I have a neighbor that came up to look at them and they said they wanna do the same thing. So, we absolutely would do that. Shane was great. He was a great representative and was very responsive. The only thing that they could do better with the product itself is the extension cord that plugs into the outlet. They got only two choices, a 12 or an 18-foot extension cord. The outlet's right next to the awnings, so they had to roll them up and sort of tuck them in behind in order to hide them in behind the awning hardware.

I told to Shane, "I don't understand why you don't have like a 1 or 2-foot extension cord. Isn't that an option or can't you modify it?" He said, "No. We only got the 12 or the 18-foot or the 20-foot. And we'll just have to sort of loop it up, and we'll try to make it so you don't see it." He tried as best as he could. We can see it. It's bulky, but it's not a showstopper.

Another thing is we have considerable amount of wind here where we are located, occasionally, and the fringe along the little part that hangs down has frayed because it's been whipped by the wind over the last three months. I know that eventually that can be replaced, but the material itself did fray a little bit due to being whipped around by the wind. It's really not a big deal because it looks fine. If we wanted, they could replace it, but then we'd have to spend again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Our SunSetter awning looks great. It's 21 feet wide and it covers the whole deck. I would recommend SunSetter.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

The team from SunSetter came out and did measurements. Two weeks later, they showed up and installed the awning in a day. We haven’t had much time to use it since the sun shifted from where it used to be. So we just put it out to look at it. But the quality looks good and I’d recommend SunSetter.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

SunSetter did a nice job of filling us in beforehand. They came to discuss the installation before they actually did it and measured. Their sales rep was very nice. I liked him. The installation was done very well. The awning goes in and out very nicely and makes the patio cooler. I'd recommend SunSetter. They were pleasant and professional.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

We have the sun shining on our patio and we had thought about doing a birdcage, but that was so much more expensive. Our neighbor got SunSetter and it looked interesting. The quality is very good. We've shown it to several people and told them that we like it very much.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

We bought a SunSetter awning for my daughter. It looked like a good quality product. Our sales rep wasn't pushy and he just talked things over. We got the 10-year awning with boom arms and it came with a cover on it. It's automatic and it has a wind sensor on it as well as lights. The installation went really well. Right at the moment, I'm pleased with SunSetter and what they did. I even got a thing that was unusual but the installer sent me a message saying it was time for the fall cleaning, which we just put up two weeks ago.

SunSetter Awnings Company Information