Malden, MA

4.7/5 (454 ratings)

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter Awnings is the largest American manufacturer of retractable patio, window and deck awnings. The company produces four different awning types, including motorized and manual hand-cranked models. Most of the awnings attach directly to a structure, but the company does have one freestanding model. The motorized models open and close using a remote control, and the manual model uses a hand crank.

Pros

• Wide fabric color selection
  • Buy direct or work with a local dealer
  • Option for DIY installation
  • 5 to 10-year limited warranties

Cons

• Limited freestanding model options
  • Installation not included

Bottom Line

SunSetter Awnings offers many options to meet the needs of any customer or budget. Options include 28 fabric choices, sizes from 8 feet to 20 feet wide and manual or remote retraction.

Top SunSetter Awnings Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My father has a SunSetter awning and he gave us one as a gift. He enjoyed his so much that he thought we would enjoy it and we have… That deck was nearly unusable until almost dar...

Verified

We have some friends that have SunSetters and we decided to go with their recommendation. The installation of our awning went really well. So far, we love its reliability. So far,...

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter offers two product lines of awnings: The SunSetter Series and the Platinum Series. Awnings in the SunSetter Series come with a five-year limited warranty, and Platinum Series products come with a 10-year limited warranty.

Awnings are available in widths from 8 feet to 24 feet and extend from 7 feet to 11 feet, 8 inches out, depending on the model. Awnings from SunSetter are made from woven acrylic or laminated fabric and available in 28 colors.

How does SunSetter Awnings work?

Customers can buy awnings directly from the company’s website or from a local SunSetter dealer. If you buy the product directly, you select the product line, model, fabric color and valence style: straight or wavy. You can also choose the awning’s size and type of mounting bracket.

Awnings bought directly from SunSetter come with a 90-day money-back guarantee. When you work with a local SunSetter dealer, you can get expert advice and a free in-home consultation.

SunSetter does not directly offer installation services. Customers can either install the awnings themselves by following the instructions in the booklet and DVD that came with their awning or have them installed professionally by a local SunSetter dealer or a third-party contractor.

SunSetter Awnings prices

SunSetter Awnings cost between $600 to $6,000. The price depends on several factors: size, retraction mechanism, fabric, shape and type.

The most popular model is the SunSetter motorized model, which has an average price of $2,800. The manual version has an average price of $2,300.

SunSetter Series

SunSetter Series awnings are available in two fabric choices: waterproof laminated fabric or water-repellant woven acrylic fabric. All awnings in this product line come with a five-year limited warranty.

ModelPrice Range
XL$3,075 - $4,250
Laminated fabric$599 - $2,980
Acrylic fabric$1,855 - $4,250

Platinum Series

The Platinum Series awnings are made from Sunbrella acrylic fabric that is water repellent and resists mildew, mold and fading. The product line features models that retract into a permanently installed aluminum semi-cassette hood, which helps protect the awning from the elements. Awnings in the Platinum Series come with a 10-year limited warranty, and prices range from $2,600 to $6,000.

ModelPrice Range
Platinum$2,923 - $5,257
Platinum Manual$2,676 - $4,196
Platinum PRO$3,051 - $5,642
Platinum Plus$4,245 - $5,663
Platinum Plus PRO$4,506 - $6,051
XL$4,186 - $6,051

SunSetter Awnings FAQ

How much are SunSetter awnings?
SunSetter Awnings range from $600 to $6,000. The price range for the SunSetter Series is $600 to $4,200, and awnings in the Platinum Series range from $2,600 to $6,000. Manual awnings run between $1,600 to $4,200.
How do you install a SunSetter awning?
For do-it-yourself installation, follow the instructions in the installation booklet and DVD that comes with the awning. Installation takes two to three hours, and all you need is a few simple tools.
  1. Unpack the awning and all its components from the packaging.
  2. Bolt the mounting brackets to a wall on the outside of your home.
  3. Lift the awning into the brackets and push the square bar attached to the awning into the brackets.
  4. Secure the square bar with a retaining bolt in each bracket.
  5. If you have a motorized awning, plug the power cord into your outdoor outlet and use the remote to open the awning. If you have a manual awning, open it using the hand crank.
How do you clean a SunSetter awning?
To clean a SunSetter awning, brush it when it’s dry and then wash it with mild soap and lukewarm water. If that doesn’t do the trick, follow the care and maintenance instructions included with the awning.
Where are SunSetter awnings made?
SunSetter Awnings assembles components manufactured in China and other countries at its 72,000-square-foot facility in Malden, Massachusetts.
How much does it cost to install a SunSetter awning?
It costs between $175 to $450 to have a local SunSetter dealer or a hired professional of your choice install a SunSetter awning. Installation costs range between $6 to $9 per square foot.
Are SunSetter awnings waterproof?
Yes, many of SunSetter’s products are waterproof or water repellant.

Are SunSetter awnings any good?

SunSetter awnings are a good choice for those shopping for an awning. The company offers multiple models, varying widths and a wide selection of fabric colors to fit any customer's needs. Customers have the freedom to buy awnings directly from the company or work with a local dealer. Customers can install the awnings with easy-to-follow instructions, or a local dealer can provide professional installation.

SunSetter Awnings Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: March 6, 2022

We placed our order to SunSetter with the expectation of delivery for May. We happen to be in Florida right now, and the purchase was for a property up in Massachusetts. When we bought it, we had a time when no one was wanting to be sitting outside. So, we were trying to be proactive to make sure that everything was ordered, received, and ready for installation as soon as we got back.

We went with SunSetter because of the dimensions I was looking for. I was looking for that extra depth. We have ordered the XL depth. The deck in the townhouse that we recently purchased happens to be 11.5 feet deep. So, it's like it is custom made for it. I called in and spoke with a representative. She ended up telling us that we would have to find an installer and she gave us the names of installers. We met with the installer first because we weren't even sure how feasible it was to install and would we be happy with the choices that had to be made for the installation. In the process, they also act as a sales rep. We fully recognize that we paid more for doing it through the sales rep, but they were looking at all the aspects of our property and were going to be responsible for getting it installed. So, there were pros and cons. I could have ordered through the 800 number, but then it was on me to make sure that I’d done things right.

The only thing that was weird is the information I got from the 800 number was in direct conflict with stuff that I was told via the representative that I was ordering with directly. She was pretty appalled by it. That aspect was confusing and I kept going in circles. I was like, “You sure? I've been told I cannot order that.” She said, “Of course, you can order that.”

With the type of fabric mine is ordered in, the 800 number person had told me that that was not an option. The brochure would imply that it was not an option. Also with the 800 number person, I had found some difficulties with the reading of the website and had questions for her, and she got combative slightly with me on that when I told her, “Look, this is a customer giving customer service feedback that I found this aspect difficult. It might be worth the company knowing that I had difficulties finding this, that this would be valuable.” I got really snappy back with her. Other than that, we are expecting to be very happy with our product. We're excited and looking forward to it and looking forward to what it's going to do for us and the usability of our guests.

SunSetter Awnings response

Thank you for your feedback. We do apologize for the initial confusion. We are thankful you decided to place your order, and hope you enjoy many years under your awning.

Get buying tips about Awnings delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I had two companies come out and the salesman from SunSetter was a lot better at explaining the awning. At the time, they had a few deals that helped me make up my mind on it. They gave $500 off plus a free wind device that will close the awning up automatically by itself if it gets too windy. The people came out and measured for it. The gentleman said what the price would be. I asked how long it will take and he said about five weeks and that I'll get a call within five weeks to actually install it. He didn't ask any down which was surprising to me.

They called up and said they would be able to be out at a certain time. They came and installed it relatively quickly. The guy putting it up was very knowledgeable and explained everything about the awning, how to work it, and any problems we might have. He also said that if I have any problems, call the main office and they would take care of it. After I had the awning, I opened it one time and then, I waited about a week to open it again because it was really rainy out and it wouldn't work. I called to talk to customer service. They ran me through some things and we still couldn't get it to work.

I called the main office and talked to a gentleman named Matt who was the owner of Weather Armor. He sent out a guy to check it and we found out that the motor was shot. He ordered another motor and it was sent out via FedEx. Within several days, we received it and they came out and put it in. It opened up and ran fine. But then there was a power outage and it wouldn't work so they had to send somebody out again to reset it.

The last time the guys came, I told them that there seemed to be a problem when the awning closes. One of the arms doesn't close as far as it should. They adjusted that and reset it. So far, after that, it's been working okay. They've had to come out several times, but they were very nice on the phone. If I had a problem with it and call, they'll come out and fix it if there is one. I have been pretty happy about that. The quality of the product is good too. I just had the experience with a bad motor, but that could have happened to anybody.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

SunSetter's sales rep who came to the house was fine but we got a little confused towards the end while we were waiting for our awning to come in. At one point, the day that we were supposed to get the arrival, they said we didn't have an order and we were not on their records. So, we got a telephone number for the representative and he was having medical concerns, but he had the owner get back to us and we were told that we had an order and it was going to be delivered the following day. Then, we had the delivery the next day. The installers were awesome and they came immediately at the time they said they were going to come. They did it in an hour. We got the motorized awning and I like it. But I didn't notice it when they first showed us that when you press the remote, it makes a large click sound like it's lifting and the fixture is releasing itself. So, it scared us a little bit, but we're used to it now.

Other than that, we thought the price was high and there was a little confusion in that too. I was not sure if we got the complete definition but they said we were going to have a cover and we opted out for the plastic cover that came with it. We opted for the more expensive cover for the winterized. But when they left, we told them that there was no cover on it and asked how do we cover it up for the winter. They said that was it and that we didn't need to cover it. So, we paid 450 extra for what we thought was the way it's opened in the summer. But in the winter, I'm not sure. We're going to have to experience it. I also have to go over and see my neighbors' to see if theirs is the same. But they didn't think they bought or paid extra money for the cover, so we're not sure about this.

Original review: July 30, 2021

A neighbor had a SunSetter awning and I bought my daughter one six years ago, and it worked out all right for them. My neighbor's had his for 30 years. My daughter has had hers about six years. And I needed it. It has been proven that it works. The rep came out and they didn't have the color I wanted in the five-year warranty, but they had it in the 10-year warranty. After I already signed the contract, he said, “No problem. We'll put that one up and it will be a 10-year warranty instead of the five.” I said, “Hey, fantastic. That's great.” The two guys who came installed the awning within an hour. It didn't take up my time, even though I'm just hanging around watching. But they said they would be here at a certain time, they were.

The awning does drop the temperature 20 degrees. On my deck, I'm facing south, and it gets hot out there. That awning works. And it's efficient. You can take it in and take it out. And the wind was blowing the other day and I got the sensor on it, and I was gone, I came back, and the awning was in. That wind sensor works and it's a good thing to have there, too. I couldn't be more satisfied with it. So far, it has proven everything that I wanted and what SunSetter said it would be.

I just had it open now and it just rained. But I only had it half open, so I had to let it dry off before I roll it up. That's not a concern, but it's something that you should do. If you don't, it will mold. I know it will mold when it gets wet if you had it rolled up. Because my neighbor's is about 30 years and his is molding a bit on the front cover. I asked the guy then, too, because the neighbor asked me to ask SunSetter how much it would cost just to get the awning replaced. It's around $1,500. I said, “Well, that seems pretty high, but I'll tell him anyway.” When I told him, he said that he didn't think he paid for it that much when he bought it new. I said, “Well, 30 years ago, you probably didn't.” I'm very satisfied with it. But the price is high. And most people probably won't get it because of that price. That's the only negative thing. That's a lot of money to invest in something like that that most people aren't sure of. If it was a bit cheaper, I'm sure more people would get one.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I was remodeling my home. I purchased an awning to just kind of give kind of a facelift on the house. I had interest in doing this for quite some time. I couldn't do it before because I was working, and now I'm recently retired. So, I decided to start remodeling my home this year. And I figured, well, let's work on the outside while it's summer out and everything, do the outside work. And then later on, I'll do the inside during the winter. I saw SunSetter's commercials and I enjoyed what I was looking at. Originally, I was going to get an awning for a deck except I have a basement door. When the guy came out, he said that there's a building code that the deck has to be six feet above the door, which means I couldn't build a deck the way it was. I built a deck going out.

When I had the contractor come out, he explained to me and he also explained to me about the building code. That was one thing I didn't even think of. We decided to go a different way in which we did, and he did the contract. I also spoke to their office about the financing, and everything was adequate. They had to order the part. I placed the order back in April. They finally had the order come in in June. They wanted to make sure that all the pieces were in before they scheduled the installation. A part of it is because there's a lot of permit restrictions. I just followed up with them to make sure that they had the permits and everything before they came out because I have other different projects going on and I didn't want that to get held up.

They came out Saturday. They were scheduled to come out between 12:30 and 4:30, except we had a downpour. I kind of thought that that was going to back up their schedule. What happened was I didn't get a call, and I didn't know if they were still coming out because it was 5 o'clock. I didn't get any status updates that they were still coming. I left a message with the office to have somebody call me, and I didn't hear back from anybody. So I called back my salesperson, Larry. I asked him if he could follow up on his end because I told him that I was scheduled to have an installation that day. I know because of the rain, things were backed up, but I didn't get a status update. Finally, he said, "Okay. Let me check on it. And I'll get back to you." About half an hour later, he called me back and told me that they were still coming out.

They came out at 6 o'clock. By that time, it was sunny out. The two guys that came out were great. They checked out everything, and they did the installation. They explained to me how the awning works manually and with the remote control. They did a great job putting it up and explaining how it worked. Overall, the follow-up should have been better. Everything was proactive on my end. I didn't know what was going on, and I was at home between 12:30 and 4:00. I could have done other things on a Saturday afternoon instead of waiting. I was very disappointed that there was no follow-up if they were late or if they were coming. Other than that, everything else was good.

Original review: May 6, 2022

My experience with the sales rep was good and the installation went easy and fast. So far, the awning's pretty good. I can sit on my back real easy and comfortable.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I was very excited about the product. I got the little better material. My neighbor can't say enough about their SunSetter which they've had for at least 20 years. I was thrilled when she gave me the gentleman's card. She saved me a ton of time trying to find a SunSetter rep and getting them out here ‘cause there was snow. I did this the beginning of March. Here I am in May, and I don't have an awning yet. They put the awning up last week, but still, I can't open it. It needs an electrical switch which is still not in.

I'm a little upset about this ‘cause Mother's Day is Sunday and we’re having company. I’d like to use the awning. The gentleman was out here last week. He’s a nice fellow and has installed a lot of awnings in my area. He said it was on order but didn't get it. Another whole week is passing, and the electrical is not in. I paid for the awning and he was out in two days and took my money within two days. But since then, it's been a struggle. He said it would take up to six weeks. It was here in two weeks. It was in my garage. I couldn't pull my vehicle in all through this snow and this weather we've had the last month and a half. This has been a hard experience for me. I’m not pleased.

Hello Sandra,

We are excited to hear you received your awning in 2 weeks. We hope your local electrician will be able to help you with installing your electrical outlet to plug your awning in. In the meantime, did you know you can use the hand crank to use your awning manually? Please refer to your owner's manual or give our customer care team a call. 800-670-7071. Thank you

Original review: May 4, 2022

The reps were very professional. They came out and were on time for the installation. The awning works good. I like it. It's got the wind sensor on it, the winter cover that goes inside, and LED lights.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Our experience was not too good but not because there's anything wrong with the awnings. We put at our back of our house and we haven't been able to use it once because every time we put it out, the wind blows it back. I wish somebody had told me that it wouldn't work when there's always wind. There's $7,000 down the drain. I'm disappointed because we've had it a couple of weeks and we tried every day, multiple times a day, but it doesn't get more than a few feet out and it pulls right back in. The product is very nice but it never belonged on my house.

Hello David,

I am happy to hear you are pleased with the quality of your awning. It sounds like you may need to adjust the Wireless Windsenor so that it doesn't close as often during windy days. You can find DIY tips as to how to do this at http://support.sunsetter.com/ or you can also reach out to your Dealer for assistance.

SunSetter also provides dedicated technical support year-round at 800-670-7071. We provide live walkthroughs to SunSetter owners of all skill levels and would be happy to assist you when you call.

Original review: May 3, 2022

The awning is 16 by 10 and when the installers mounted it, they put brackets to get it up over my gutter. I gotta tie the awning but I got a remote that lets it out. I got the color that I wanted and it matches my roof. The installers did everything they were supposed to and were here when they were supposed to be. They weren't here too awful long and the awning was up. But the boss man did most of the work. The helpers stood there and watched most of the time. The guy said he'd come out here once a year and inspect to see if everything was alright. But that's gonna cost me $99 a year. I'm satisfied with everything but I'm not sure about the pay, because what they are advertising on television is a lot different from what I paid.

SunSetter Awnings Company Information