Spring Hill
1.39/5

Looking for Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants?

SpringHillNursery.com

Tipp City, OH

64 Spring Hill Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2019

Spring Hill Nurseries ad $25 off order over $50. Got a peony @ $50+$12 ship. Checkout w/ code jumped price to $70+$17 ship & $7 off. Customer service apologized. Gave me 50% off code-price now $90 & $4 off!!! Told me "probably better to order without code". What a scam.

Original review: May 15, 2019

After one week, I checked on shipping status, and they have not shipped yet and item is not out for shipping. I tried to use their "chat" option, but the screen switched to only a phone call available. I called; someone with a heavy accent and hard to understand answered. Ultimately, after several attempts at communication, he finally told me that I that I could not cancel my order. I told him that the shipping status was stating not shipped yet, and he said he still could not cancel my order. I ended up paying $25-ish for ONE day lily, that should have been much less in costs.

Get expert buying tips about Lawn Equipment and Garden Plants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2019

This is the 21st Century, not the 19th Century. FedEx, UPS & USPS provide reliable, dependable shipment of everything, including plants, trees, and bulbs. Knowing when a live, growing plant, tree, or bulb is going to arrive is critical to its being properly planted for survival. It also happens that people travel and ought to be able to plan the arrival of their living products when they are home to receive them. This has not been the case with Spring Hill Nurseries.

On 5 May, I ordered three cherry trees (Order # **) to take advantage of a sale and IMMEDIATELY sent an email requesting they not be shipped immediately, but three weeks later, so I would be present when they arrived. However, on 6 May, I received confirmation of their shipment via FedEx, and two days later, on 8 May, I received a Spring Hill Nurseries email apologizing that the trees had already been shipped and issuing me a credit for the purchase. This is nuts! What good is a credit for what I wanted, when all Spring Hill Nurseries needed to do was to ship what I wanted when I wanted. Apparently, this is too hard.

The logical solution would be to have a Customer Comment or Shipping Request box on the order form to indicate the desired arrival date(s), so Spring Hill Nurseries could backwards plan to arrange the correct shipping date. Having no customer input about the shipping/arrival date is worse than waiting for the cable guy to show up "sometime" on the appointed date. For this reason, I cannot recommend Spring Hill Nurseries.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I placed an order on March 20, 2019 and two of the collections I ordered was to be shipped April 8. I called April 23 and was told the order was backordered and would ship 4/29. I also emailed customer service on April 23 and got a response on April 26 that the order was backordered and would ship on April 29. I called April 29 to make sure the order was shipped and was told it is would be shipped on May 6. I requested they cancel the order and refund my money that was processed the date of the order and was told that they could not cancel and give a refund because the order was already in process. Called today to see if order was shipped on the 6th to be told it would not ship until after the middle of May. I again asked for a refund, included the sales tax and freight I was charged. Was told they could not refund freight but put a credit on my account. That credit will sit there. I will not order again from this company!

Original review: April 30, 2019

They either send them in freezing temperatures or they arrive and look ok, then start drying up and withering in a few months. I'm not a novice gardener, and I have learned to have SOME success by first growing the plants in a pot for later transplanting, but even then, with proper care, the plants more often than not do not make it. Have had better luck with some small family owned nurseries.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spring Hill?

Original review: April 17, 2019

Purchased Plants from them. Each day they gave a new Shipping Date. Too hot now to plant them. They said they can't give refunds till the Plants arrive! They never arrive. 2.5 Star Ratings all over the Internet for them. 80% say "never arrived". Scam here as if you can't get a refund till the plants arrive then the time would be too long. One person out of reviews said they were still waiting a year for their plants, and they were still holding that person's money. FTC needs to Investigate this company.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I ordered last fall two hydrangea from SH. They arrived fried from being shipped in a hot truck. It took almost 6 weeks for replacement. Since one died, one half lived... (insert here I have a greenhouse where they have been nurtured through the cold so weather, or neglect can not be used as an excuse by SH) on contacting the company not only had I been turned over to collections for Waiting on the reshipment.. the credit I was promised via customer service was not on my account. Luckily I caught the check at the bank in time to cancel payment and the dead/dying were sent back. Note: they are selling mere rooted cuttings for optimum price... please. I cannot reiterate enough. Research what you are buying. Find the hybridizer in the field and buy directly from the person(s) who are putting in the hard work to create these new varieties.

Original review: April 4, 2019

After spending thousands of $ over the past eight years, shopping from Michigan Bulb, Spring Hill and Brecks, I was told today that Michigan Bulb will not honor or credit two of the three peonies I ordered in May 2018 and shipped in Nov. 2018. Three peonies are living and two are not. I had ordered two collection, and since the peonies have been planted and I don't have the exact names, I was told they would not honor the guarantee. When something gets planted, name tags are blown away by the wind, covered up w/ mulch, etc. so I could not give them the names even though they could see on their screens the name of the collection and date ordered. PITIFUL, REALLY PITIFUL.

So, Michigan Bulb, Spring Hill and Brecks have just lost our business. VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I have recommended these three companies to friends (some ordered also) but after hearing about this, none of them will ever order again. Good c/s is important to them also. C/S name = Allen. C/S supervisor = Rosen.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Ordered two plants; when I contacted them a couple of weeks later, they said they were on back order (I presume they do not grow the plants and they order them from other grower nurseries). I asked how big they would be. '3-4" long'. I said that would be undersized per industry. I waited. I waited. I called back and received a call center 'receptionist'. I asked to be transferred to someone at the nursery. She gave me the main number that I reached her at. She had no way to put me into contact with someone who could answer my questions.

I asked how big the plants would be. '12" long'. I received the plants. They were 3" maximum (peonies). Wow - they order plants from others; you are not told at time of order that there will be a back order wait. Then you deal with telephone 'receptionists' who know nothing about plants; nor are allowed to put you into contact with a nursery person. Does Spring Hill even grow plants? Or, are they only re-sellers?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Such a disappointment. I placed my large bulb and one special peony order on 9/15/18. Estimated ship dates were 9/24 and 10/05. I called in end of Sept looking for the first part of my order and was told it would be shipped 10/3. Made my another phone call on 10/16 as nothing had arrived. This time I was told ship date would be 10/22. I explained I live in Michigan’s upper peninsula and we have a cold zone. I need to get that peony in the ground. Bulbs too, but am mostly concerned expensive peony will not make it if I plant in frozen ground. I was promised my shipment would go out ASAP. No such luck. — Writing the review as the snow is absolutely beautiful today but it’s met with sadness as I have a problem.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

In spite of being able to have refunds for plants and products that did not grow or work, what an awful thing to order and spend time trying to grow a good number of them in one summer only for MANY in many different categories to die. Worse, their customer service is primarily awful in that one hand does not know the other. Numerous times I would get one story from one agent only to find from others that that story was incorrect...then the process, going all the way up the management hierarchy, would be repeated, or evidence shown they didn't really care. There is so much wrong with the two companies that I am too exhausted to detail it here. But I want to give a warning: either be EXTREMELY careful in dealing with staff, taking notes about everything said and by whom, or don't shop with them at all. As a company, they don't really care about clarity, consistency...or their customer.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I ordered several things from Spring Hill this past spring. A Romeo dwarf cherry tree, a Josee reblooming lilac, Lily of the Valley, and Foamflower. The cherry tree appears to be doing well; I didn't get flowers or fruit this year, but that may be normal. The Lily of the Valley is struggling; the plants were sent as bare roots, and it was not clear how to orient them in the planting holes, and when I called service, their "expert" didn't know anything about the plant. When I asked to speak to a manager she just giggled. So I planted them anyhow, and some of them died and some are surviving. None are thriving. The lilac immediately died, even though I planted it according to instructions and kept it well watered. They did issue me a refund for that plant.

The foamflower order was shipped separately, and when I opened it, the plants were NOT foamflower. I already have some planted, so I know what it looks like. These were labeled foamflower, but were definitely not. I did not know what they were. I called service again, and I was told to email pictures of the plants, and if they agreed it was the wrong plant they would issue a refund. I was told to keep the unknown plants, even though I did not know what they were, therefore didn't know what soil or light or water conditions they needed. I planted them in a random, part sun location, and all ten of them are still living and two of them got little pink flowers on them. I still do not know what they are. However, I did receive a refund from Spring Hill for the wrong plants.

Even though most of the plants I received are living, I am not happy with their service. A nursery that sends the wrong plants has something very wrong at its core. And to advertise "expert advice" then provide a young girl who has no idea how to grow plants is just fraudulent. I didn't have trouble getting my refunds, as some people complain they did, but I shouldn't have to be asking for refunds so much from a company. I just got a flyer in the mail with sale prices on spring bulbs, and I came to this website to read reviews about Spring Hill before ordering, and I'm glad I did. I will not be ordering from them ever again. I will order from more reputable nurseries in the future.

Original review: July 19, 2018

This is my first time ordering from Spring Hill Nursery. I received my plants and planted them. Half of them died within a 2 weeks. They were very good, gave me a credit and I paid the balance. Within another week the others died. They had already cashed my check. I Was told by Customer Service Rep that I would received a refund check in the mail. Never received check in the mail, everyone I talk to give it more time. I do not believe that they even sent the check. I would be very careful with buying from this company. They lost a customer with me. STILL have not received the check.

Original review: June 28, 2018

First shipment, the muhly grass, condition was gorgeous and has grown huge. Second, although packaged really well, was a mess and I wasn't sure it would survive. My money was immediately refunded, which was unnecessary as I had not requested they do this. This plant, a miniature called My Monet, has doubled in size with gorgeous dark pink and green leaves and is flourishing. I love my plants and will continue to order from Spring Hill Nurseries when I find more plants I simply cannot resist. Their customer service can't be beat and I have never known a company so happy to provide free shipping and always offering it. Plants and shrubs are expensive to begin with; how nice to get a break no matter how little I spent. Thanks Spring Hill, you will hear from me next year.

Resolution response: May 8, 2018

I was contacted by a company representative who apologized for the problem and refunded my purchase price.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Upon unpacking the plants which took 10 days to arrive, the planting media was STILL soggy, resulting in decomposed vegetation. I submitted photos in an email to their customer service department and got no response. Assume the plants will re-sprout, but will not order from them in the future.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Last time I checked this type of billing was illegal. The customer is not to be billed for an order until it leaves their shipping dock. These folks are taking payment for plants that they know are not available, and showing when the customer ordered as "in stock". The customer then has to call and cancel the order to have their payment refunded.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I placed an order December 27, 2017. Saturday April 21, I called to check on the order. I was told my order was backordered. If I placed an order in December, wouldn't I be among the first to receive the requested item? I asked to speak to a supervisor and her reply was she had no idea. I placed my order the day I received the catalogue. This doesn't make any sense. Why wasn't I notified?

Original review: April 9, 2018

Have been order from Spring Hill for over 20 years and very satisfied with the plants I have received. If there had been any issues they always replaced. You have to remember they are live plants and have to be planted quickly or stored properly until you can plant.

Original review: March 30, 2018

They shipped the wrong plants. I called. They said they would reship them. Expedited. After a week and no shipping confirmation. I used their chat line. I was informed it would be another 3-5 business days before my order ships. As they are processed in the order they were received. But my order had been expedited they said. Never mind that they are fixing their mistake. I still get to wait 2 weeks not to get my plants but to have them shipped!

Original review: March 30, 2018

For 79$ I got a tiny tree that is 18 inch from the bottom of the container to the very top of the tree. I was told the tree would be around 3 feet when I contacted customer service before placing the order.

Original review: March 8, 2018

They took my order for 4 plants. Took my money for them and then told me they had no idea when they will ship them. It could be at the end of the month or two month from now. When I told them to cancel order they said I would get my money on a week. I told them it didn't take a week for them to take my money. They don't care.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Last year I ordered a group of roses. Only a few lived so I requested they send me more. They issued a gift certificate only to put my Father-in-law name on the account and he has been deceased for 30 years, therefore they will not honor the certificate! They are crooks! It was not our fault that they put the wrong name on the account. Don't ever order products from them as products are dead on arrival!!!

Original review: July 6, 2017

I bought bulbs for 19.99 and they were dead. They tried to get me to pay and I refused because they were DEAD! The acct. was sent to a collection agency and was for $60.00. Collection agency is now hounding me for a debt marked up 300%. Spring Hill sells dead plants and either get their money or write off their taxes a 300% markup. Win/Win for them. Must be owned by the Mafia.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I ordered plants from this company and not only does it take forever to arrive (1 month) but the plants are a rip off! DO NOT BUY PLANTS FROM THIS BUSINESS! I paid $40 for 2 plants that should have costed at most $7 total.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Around May 2016 I called this company to order a twister lavender redbud tree to be told they were out of stock and they do not accept back orders. Marked my calendar for January 2017 and ordered two lavender redbuds and one rising sun redbud on January 2, 2017. I received the trees February 28th which they literally looked like sticks. I planted the trees per their instructions doing everything exactly correct. Within two weeks, we had a blizzard. (I live in Northeast Ohio.) I called their customer service which advised me to put a garbage can over them and assured me they stand behind their product.

Now it is May 18th and of the three, one still looks like a stick. I called customer service, talked with a person with an accent that was difficult to understand and hung up. Called the next day and again got someone hard to understand, explained my problem, asked "how long do I wait to see growth" and requested a replacement. Was told they are out of stock and that they would send me a voucher. As everyone knows, trees take a while to grow. I am now out another year if I wait on their product which I will not. I do not want a voucher as I do not want to deal with them again with their lousy customer service. Like another reviewer, I would have given a negative rating if that was possible.

Original review: May 6, 2017

Ordered 2 plant hangers beginning of April. Never came and when trying to track package... says shipping method unknown. Spoke with someone on chat who apologized and would reship. Now 2 weeks later... never received package again. Again my acct clearly shows the second order... shipping method unknown. I chatted again and was told it is going reg mail and this is why no tracking #. Not sure how they fit 2 plants hangers in a mailbox. So she said it's on way and would be here Friday... I told her it's been ordered for close to a month. Friday came and went... nothing. So I see they refunded my acct the day I spoke to her... with no notification of are they sending free? Did they do out of courtesy? I will never ever order anything from this company again... and will be sure to share my story!!!! Very unhappy.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I put an order and was given a ship date; when the plants did not arrive, I e-mailed to inquire and was told that the plants will arrive mid-March. I called to ask about the shipping date and was told that the ship date was changed to end of March. I had to call twice and was put on hold both times without warning. I canceled my order. I frankly do not know how the company is still in business.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I would give them a negative number if possible. I put in an order and SpringHill could not find it so Jenny, Mark and Jason determined that I would be charged double for these items. They were condescending, rude and unapologetic for their mistake. When I asked if the flowers were grown in the US Jenny indicated that she was unsure. At a time when jobs are needed in this country why buy here?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I have ordered twice from this company, I have emailed them twice. Never got a response. When the package arrived, they looked dead already, but we planted them, plus a peony, and they never came back to life. We bought the best potting soil, food, we did everything. I emailed the company asking for a refund, NO answer. Before you buy, read reviews.

Original review: June 24, 2016

Two years ago I ordered a collection of reblooming daylilies. I expected to receive 2 each of 5 different plants. They did not bloom the first year at all. This year they did bloom and in the end I have 8 yellow daylilies all the same and 2 mauve plants also the same. I was very disappointed and will not order from them again.

Spring Hill Company Information