3.35/5
Based on 17 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

17 Snap-on Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution response: Oct. 31, 2018

Snap-on contacted me about the wrench. I did not discuss my other issues, however they were very understanding and apologetic. They explained that they do not chrome the box side of wrenches because the chrome gets damaged there and then damages the rest of the chrome on the wrench. They explained that a sealant is used where the chrome is not present, to prevent rust. They are replacing the wrench for the other issue in the chrome on the open end.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

This company acts like they don’t need you, you need them. On numerous occasions, they have charged my credit card an additional few cents for no reason. I ask them why, they say it’s because of the tax. I do the tax math and they are wrong. So I tell them and eventually they give me my money back, every time. I’m really not in the business of lining their pockets even more because they think I won’t notice or won’t complain about it. After the third time, I start questioning their “it was a website tax computing error”. Never an apology from them either. The clincher here is that their modern day tools and shop equipment are not what they were back in the 90’s. I just ordered a flank drive plus 16mm combination wrench and it came with heavy flaws in the finish and the splines on the box end are not fully chromed, so they will eventually rust.

That Snap-on wrench was $45, my seven Husky wrenches that collectively cost less than $15 are better quality and feel the same in my hand as this Snap-on wrench. Snap-on’s molding quality is equivalent to Chinese or Taiwan tools. My new Snap-on dead blow hammer and a pocket screwdriver I bought a week or so ago arrived with extra material left over from the mold process hanging off all the edges of both these tools. The $4 Harbor Freight hammer that the $50-$60 Snap-on hammer replaced didn’t have this issue. I think the wrench quality was what did me in. I don’t even want to use it. It just sits there in my wrench rack staring at me, while I pick up my Husky 16mm because I know it won’t rust after I’m done using it.

I’ll just save the Snap-on flank drive plus wrench solely for use on my inner tie rod flats if the inner nut ever seizes again. That is if the ridges on the wrench flats actually work as described (not to mention I will have to plan that service for a sunny day since my $45 princess wrench from Snap-on isn’t exactly built for abuse). My brand new (6 months old) Blue-Point (Snap-on owns Blue-Point) torque sticks are rusting already. I am also convinced that these torque sticks are inconsistent. Every time I remove fasteners that I installed with the sticks, one or two of them will require more air pressure at the regulator on my gun to remove than the others. I bought a $37 set of Blue-Point Mobea pliers about a week ago and I had to file down heavy burrs from the locking mechanism so it would work properly, it still sticks...

Then I laid the pliers down on a flat surface and I noticed they’re warped. My Kent-Moore pliers that these replaced lay level, even after years of abuse. So much for tools made in the USA. The only Snap-on/Blue-Point tools I mentioned that weren’t made in the USA were the torque sticks, they were made in Sweden. Now I have to rely on the likes of Sunex and GearWrench for my everyday hand tools supplier. Because I’m not shelling out Snap-on sized dollars for Matco, Mac (Stanley Tools) or Cornwell.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I recently ordered a couple of tape measures (Tape Rules) from Snap-On and an am very disappointed in the quality control and lack of attention to detail while filling the order. The 10’ tape measure was opened, used and damaged before being sent to me. I began documenting when I noticed the box was taped shut. There are greasy fingerprints at about 3.5’ and the tape is damaged also. I thought that my first order with the infamous Snap-On Tools would have been better. I would have to say I’m a little less than pleased with my purchase so far.

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I purchased Snap-on tools years ago because they were supposed to be the best and because they had a great warranty and customer service. Now, years later, they don't stand behind their product, warranty, and the customer service is also defective. Product and company reputation is overrated. Many competitive products available. Don't pay the excessive price for a designer name. Snap-on obsoletes their products and refuses to warranty them. With internet sales, you no longer need to pay for a truck to come to your shop. You are paying premium price for delivery. Internet offers free delivery on many products, name brand manufacturers actually stand behind their products, and you can purchase more tools for same investment cost.

After all, why does a company obsolete a quality tool? Because it likely may have design defects. That should be a recall and not dumped on the customer. Certainly, an integrity issues when manufacturer will not stand behind their product, but markets their product and warranty as an industry standard. Save your money, this company is only interested in separating you from your money.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I am extremely disappointed that the order that was placed on Sunday night and notified to cancel early Monday morning before the business hours couldn't be cancelled because it had been processed but the UPS shipping/tracking was provided Wednesday morning, two days later. This timeline doesn't add up. Snap-on team just added more work and wasted their resources by not being proactive and caused inconvenience and a bad taste in my mouth.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

When I purchased $30000 in tools with Snap-on 25 years ago, they were so nice and accommodating. I could have bought a condo back then with that amount! Now I have to beg Snap-on trucks to stop by and help me with damaged tools. Why, because I am not buying much anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Snap-on?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

They knew the product and what its uses were for. They were really intelligent on what they are selling. I would buy from them again. They are very good people. They gave me a brochure of how to be careful with the products that I bought. I would recommend this company to other people. I have seen many other competitors prices with a slightly better price. Since I know these products are good, I decide to keep purchasing them. I've had many of their items for years and I haven't had many of them break. It's not like it's cheap material like other competitors.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

Quality customer service. Expected to be taken care of quickly and effectively and was definitely satisfied with the end results. This company will stand behind their tools and fix any problems you may have. They have tools with the safety features that you need and want. I have had issues with tools in the past but not now that I have Snap-On brand. I am extremely satisfied with this company. These tools are definitely worth it. Even if the price of some items might be high the value of the products overcomes that. These are very good tools to purchase for your home or business. These products will last you a lifetime. You can put them to work and know that they will still be there for you tomorrow. They will outlast most other brands.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

Customer service was very helpful, reliable, knowledgeable & they actually knew what they were doing, unlike a lot of other customer service representatives. Safety was a number 1 priority that words couldn't even explain, coz without safety, people would be put in harm's way & that would be very tragic & lethal for the jeopardization of innocent casualties. Value was very exceeding to my expectations & I was flabbergasted by that, coz a lot of companies don't possess the value like this company does. Durability was very reliable & dependable to exceed the necessary expectations of this company & I have no complaints whatsoever. Those are all the pros with no cons.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

I purchased the tool from a tool store so everyone there recommended the product and explained to me how to use because I'm not knowledgeable in that department. It seems pretty safe. It came with safety instructions which I need to operate such products because I am not good at using tools or home improvement products. They were kind of expensive but it's okay because all tools are mostly costly so we were prepared to spend the money needed to purchase it and it came with a warranty. I've only had it for a short period of time but seems to be pretty durable but I guess we will see in the long run but I don't use it every day so time will tell.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

I purchased items made by SNAP-ON but they were bought originally by a friend of mine that later resold them to me at a lower cost. The tools I have purchased have all been of the highest quality. Also, as they were secondhand items they have maintained throughout two ownership lifetimes. Very impressive. My costs were approximately one third of the original price tag yet these tools have been every bit as good as any tool I could walk in a store and buy firsthand today. The things I have purchased have all maintained structurally and aesthetically quite well. Nothing has been broken or needed replacing as well as no major dings or dents.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

They were very informative on their tools and helped show me what was needed to get the job done. They didn't push me into buying anything more than I needed. I am very happy with my tools I bought. I believe that Snap-on has good values. Customer service was friendly and seemed to really enjoy his job. I have only used the wrenches one time for the job that was needing them and they did the job. No problem. I haven't had to use them again but am looking forward to when I do.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

It has decent customer service, but there could be many improvements, such as quality of the calls and solutions to more problems with my equipment. The safety of the equipment is solid and works very good if you use it correctly. Just follow the directions on the box. It has a lot of value and it packs a punch for its price. It is very durable because I have had this set for 2 years and it still works perfectly. And it is very well working like it was new. The main value of this set is its long durability at a good value.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

Very nice people. Went out of their way to help me pick out the best and cheapest choice available for online purchases. I would give 6 stars if possible. Penelope was amazing. It has lots of safety features so I don't drill into my stomach or thru my leg. I have never nailed my hand to a piece of lumber like my grandpa Billy Bob did up in Texarkana, lol. The value Is amazing... I got three power tools for under $200 each with 2-year warranty. This was over two years ago and each still works fine. I dropped a chainsaw from about 30 ft up in a tree. It fell on the ground and not one scratch. I couldn't believe it. I was so impressed.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

Customer service was fine, nothing extraordinary but not bad. Would shop there again if I needed to. Overall was a good experience and I can't complain. It is very safe and feel very safe when using it. Don't feel any corners were cut in production because it is not dangerous. Would recommend to a first timer or someone that is inexperienced with tools. The value is really good. It last for a long time and is not cheaply made. Well worth the investment. The product is very durable. High quality for a good price. Will last a lifetime if taken care of right. Needs a little maintenance but with that it will be fine and last long.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

The customer service from what I've experienced is very good and satisfying. I called to inquire about a product and the gentleman on the other line was very patient and understanding with my questions and concerns. The safety of these products when using them are very good. I would not let children around them, but these products are made so that there is ease of use while safe you is maintained. These products are very valuable and easy to fit into slim and tight areas, which is why it's easy to have a utility box of these tools in the trunk of my car in case something ever came up. These products are very durable, as I've used one purchase of their product for many years and never had any kind of issue with them at all.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

They're as good as most, the tools are good tools but customer service is average. You will eventually get to who you need. However they are American-made and l like to support our nation's workers. Snap-on is innovative in the fact that they come to you. They are the tools pros use, they will educate you on how to properly use the tools and their quality is great! High quality steel and durability. They aren't cheap but they are not the most expensive, but that individual and personal care you receive from the reps when they get there is invaluable. Well made and strong, their tools hold up to any job. I'm rough on tools but these are worth the extra over Black & Decker or equivalent tools. The warranty is worth it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Needed some wrenches. Got them from Home Depot. The wrenches were sturdy. The Home Depot floor person was very helpful. Same for the Snap on utility knife. The utility knife has a lockable blade, which locks in open and closed position. Locking while closed guarantees safe storage. Also a one button blade change is safer than other brand designs. $14.50 is a very fair price for such a durable device. Handle has a good design for gripping. A 90-day full price return gives the purchaser plenty of time to check out the knife's quality. Foldable design that is easy. There is a stainless steel blade carrier, which protects the blades. Sturdy molded grip handles makes for easier use.

Snap-on Company Information