Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.02/5

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Snap-on Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Snap-on?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Snap-on?

Original review: April 17, 2021

I am Proprietor of a small company, 4Play Jeep, specializing in Jeep brand vehicles. We have extensively equipped specialist workshops, import/export parts, and carry considerable parts stock for workshop & retail/mail order sale. We have been trading since 1981. We are based in the UK. In February 2018 I ordered a second new lift from Snap-on. A specific model, launched in a magazine article as new to their range, by their then Sales Director. Snap-on supplied a cheaper model, and installed it badly, being twisted and out of alignment from outset. To cover their error (if not intentional), a senior member of their management team, changed the ID plate to indicate it was the model I ordered. This was captured on our CCTV system.

An inspection of the lift was carried out by a recognized company which deemed it 'unsafe for use'. A NDT test was carried out to evaluate the lift. This showed the lift to be lighter built in comparison to our other lift. Our insurance company refused to cover the lifts use. It has never been used. It has taken me 3 years and the loss of use of a workshop to bring this management regime to book, resulting in me receiving my money back plus £14,500 in damages and £22,500 in legal expenses. Initially, Snap-on admitted problems with the install to my Lawyer. We had 4 differing stories, ‘the lifts are all the same’, ‘there has been a specification change’ (but could not tell me when this was), ‘the lift I ordered was no longer available’ and finally, back to ‘the lifts are all the same’… Again. Later, they denied any liability.

They sent unconvincing, altered copies of lift manuals in a desperate bid to cover themselves. A 50 page report was commissioned, at a cost to me in excess of £7000.00, for the purpose of providing evidence for a trial. This was done by a forensic engineer and HSE specialist working for the UK Civil Courts. The findings were conclusive ‘the lift was unsafe and unfit for purpose. Snap-on commissioned their own report, after 2 years following install. They refused to produce or disclose their inspector’s findings, presumably it didn't support their stance. Snap-on have never issued an apology or admitted liability but the pay-out says all.

Snap-on’s second in command here in the UK boasts the following; 'Fully responsible for strategy and P&L and an advocate for best practice, I am a hands-on visionary leader who drives business growth and innovation backed by an extensive network and strong relationships internally and externally. A member of the Institute of Directors and an elected Fellow of the Institute of the Motor Industry'. Our experience is ‘best practice’ comes along way down Snap-on’s priorities, at the top being business growth and profit margins. Health and Safety has a price it seems. The present management team have been flying the Snap-on flag for many years and their H & S practices are just as dated. The head of Snap-on UK was previously Snap-on Australia having started out many years ago as a salesman. The specialist engineer commented 'their practices indicate their general work ethics'.

If Snap-on were to apologize, I believe they would only be sorry they got caught, and sorry they under estimated our ability to pursue them. Would they do this again to someone else? I believe so, they would be just more careful not to be caught out again. I should also say, the Chief of Snap-on USA was aware of our situation and never passed comment. I therefore believe this behavior is a culture within Snap-on worldwide. The internet has made the world a smaller place and other parties within the UK motor industry intend to publish further information showing their ‘innovative’ practices in relation to our case as a warning to other automotive SME’s regarding Snap-on’s management culture when something goes wrong.

The damage repair work to our workshop began on the 6th April 2021 at a cost of £11,500 + VAT. During excavation, the floor retaining bolts were found to be set in less than 4" and several on one post had not expanded at all. Photos of these have been sent to Snap-on UK but unsurprisingly there has been on further comments received by return. There are many conscientious lift suppliers and installers to choose from other than Snap-on. I have chosen Rotary Lifts.

NB. The lift was removed by Rotary Lifts and collected from our premises by Snap-on in November 2020. Here in the UK, I have seen lifts advertised by Snap-on as finance repossessions. I am uncomfortable with the thought another small business may purchase this lift under a false description having had another ID plate change.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I am a farmer in the Ohio, Mississippi River region. I used a CPL tool box (the one that was made in Kansas) and just outgrew it. So I did my research and bought the 6200 heavy duty tool box, I have had it three years. I always thought that Snap-On was too pricey but after a ratchet, then their metric long stem impact sockets then standard. Then I started buying battery powered impacts, 1/2 - 3/4. I am wondering why I have waited all the years not purchasing quicker. Time is money.

And the best warranty is the one you never have to use. My franchise dealer is amazing! Coming to my shop, meeting him after hours and weekends. He always there when I need him and doing business with him him for over three years not one complaint. He is very knowledgeable, very respectful, and always has ideas that seem to help my bottom line (money). We purchased another tool box. He took the time at night to show us the different ways to set it up that made it faster, easier to look if we missed a tool after repaired equipment, tool inventory. I am a very happy customer that not only do I think their tools and toolboxes are worth every penny but both will make you money, time saved, time not looking all over town. When they say life time warranty they mean lifetime warranty! Period!!!! I highly recommend this company and their tools and toolboxes.

Get buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I have been a technician for over 30 years and have owned Snap-on tools for longer than that. My first complaint is with their toolboxes, they are painted using a process that is like chrome plating but using paint. The paint gets in every crack and corner but is so thin that corrosion forms quickly. When I notified their reps was told it wasn't covered. That was many years ago and I just dealt with it. Now my local dealer, of whom I never had much dealing as he stops by so infrequently, will not warranty any of my broken tools since as he puts it, "If you're not gonna buy anything. I'm not gonna warranty anything". I have to call Snap-on corporate to get my tools warrantied and wait for shipping. Now I deal with Matco.

Original review: July 18, 2020

Snap-on tools fit so much better than other tools. They don't slip and they feel better on your hands. The quality is so much better than any other tools. No busted knuckles. They will fit into tight spaces a lot easier.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I am a longtime customer of Snap-on. Spent thousands and thousands of money over 30 year period of time with them and the experience went downhill after a bad encounter with a scanner I had paid over 15k and is a crappie piece of **. I talk to different dealers and customer service lazy boys who don't seem to care about our problem. Snap-on backs up their EMPLOYEES no Matter what. They prefer to lose a customer than to admit they're wrong. T

hey think they are the best because the reputation they had built over the years but they're not the best especially customer service, Never again will they see my money, my advice to you all consumers - don't be fooled by the name. They sell tools made overseas and they say is American made, they are big liars and thieves because the said you're buying American tools but you're not! My advice to you is don't buy anything from them ever. And I still have the problem with my scanner I don't know for how much longer and no one is helping me about it!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I am a longtime customer of Snap-on. Spent about 100,000 with them and the experience went down hill after a bad encounter with a franchise. Snap-on backs up their EMPLOYEES no Matter what. They prefer to lose a customer than to admit they're wrong. Never again will they see my money, my advice to you all consumers - don't be fooled by the name. They are thieves.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

My husband purchased a toolbox less than 1 week ago for $8000.00 without discussing it with me first. I got very upset and told him that we simple cannot afford such a large purchase at this time as we currently have a number of other pressing matters at hand, plus $8000.00 was ridiculous to pay for a tool box (after calculations $10500.00). He agreed, as he currently also is in desperate need of a reliable vehicle to go back and fort to work. I told him to call the Rep and explain our situation and ask him to please take the box back seeing as it has only been a week or less ago. He did, but after talking to the rep, he was not pleased and very troubled, saying that the rep, Mat from the Charlotte area, told him that if he takes the box back, it would be considered voluntary repossession, and that it will go on his credit.

I was shocked. Less than a week old purchase and willing to return the item in same condition as was received, but his credit will be marked. I thought my husband just didn’t speak to Mat or hopefully he just misheard him, as my husband was born hearing impaired, so I called Mat myself. I was of-course fed the same line of crap and was turned away very disappointed with a bad taste in my mouth. I have become very distrustful of the company.

Most of Snap-On’s products, depending on, are of very good quality, but my husband was ripped off big time, plain and simple, having to pay every week for 5 long years for an item that should 1. Not of cost such a ridiculously high amount, and 2. Forced to keep an item by unreasonable threats to his credit. Very bad business. This company and their crooked policies to make money from unsuspecting customers are very unfair and troubling. They are forcing my husband to keep an unwanted item by threatening to ruin his credit in which he work very long and hard to accomplish. Very dirty and crooked policy. I told him to never make a purchase over $200.00 from Snap-On Tools EVER in life again. I had loved Snap-On before and ran the trucks down every so often to purchase items for myself and my husband, but now I have lost all my faith and trust in them.

Buyer, beware....Do not make large purchases that you are not 110% sure that you are going to keep without doubt or you will be ripped off as well. You will end up paying much much more than you were originally quoted after calculations of your payments and interest, and your credit will be threatened if you open an account with them, regardless of your situation, length of purchase, or reasoning, etc. I trusted and respected Snap-On, but after this situation, they have lost all my faith in them. Very unsatisfied and disappointed!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Great Customer Service! I spent the last couple of days cleaning the garage, which consisted of me trying to repair some older broken tools. The first item was a Mac air tool that needed a proprietor part ($15.00), after 1 email they quickly responded with a price for the part, which was no longer covered by warranty. The second item was a Matco air tool, which needed a proprietary part as well; however, after 1 call and 2 emails, I have yet to hear from them. Lastly, I have an old Snap-on ratchet screwdriver ($100) that stopped working, after 1 email, I had a brand-new replacement at my door within 3 days. Considering Mac, Matco, and Snap-on are comparable in price and arguably quality, the former 2 are left wanting in customer service. #Snaponrocks

Larry

Myrtle Beach, SC

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I own multiple repair shops and we all know they have the best scan tools on the market. I bought a used scanner. Had it for 2 weeks and the motherboard went out. Traded it in for another used one same deal in 3 weeks. Mind you these are only 1 yr old "refurbished" scanners that run $8,000! After losing $16,000 on them I decided to buy a brand new one for $15,000. I've paid $250 a week faithfully for 5 yrs and my bill only dropped to $10,000. Do the math (250 x 52 weeks is $13,000), (13,000 x 5 yrs is $65,000). So after paying $65,000 for my $15,000 scanner I still owe over $8,000 left!!! How is this fair interest value? I'm going to pay the remainder off today due to this issue.... And I will never ever again buy anything from Snap-on ever!!! BUYER BEWARE. DO NOT BUY FROM SNAP-ON. PERIOD!!!! DON'T LET THEM ROB YOU LIKE THEY DID ME.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Over my life I have done nothing but support the Snap-on legacy of excellent tools and equipment. I have noticed a very disturbing pattern in the business model that the Snap-on corporate trucks has been employing from its inception in Yuma AZ. It seems as if we are some sort of guinea pig for your ridiculous carousel of people, though here in numerous different trucks seemingly yearly which in turn leaves us that consider ourselves automotive professionals to wonder for more than half a year to years at a time when I will be able to see my Snap-on guy again if ever. It's from one day to the next. If there is one week that the Snap-on guy does not show up we all in Yuma feel as if HERE WE GO AGAIN? Why does Snap-on think that constantly shining on the good hardworking people of Yuma, AZ is a great idea.

We had a Snap-on guy in Arkansas at my father's old shop that never changed and helped his customers. And from that I grew very fond of the tool and the name to be perfectly honest. Almost everything in my personal shop at home and in my toolbox here at work is a Snap-on tool. I also own a plethora of equipment/grills refrigerators and my socks and belt that are worn are Snap-on as well. The toothbrush that I brush my teeth with in the morning is Snap-on as well. The point of my writing today is to inform you that because of the "service"/lack thereof over the last over 20 years that my name has been on the books here in Yuma AZ I have had at least 11 different people as my Snap-on guys. And now we are once again going to be ignored for another "month" or more while Snap-on decides to remove my brand new guy for another.

For this it is truly regrettable that I will not again be duped into believing that I should care about buying only Snap-on tools when Snap-on in Yuma cares not for us. I am also in charge here at our dealership with at least 24 techs. Our corporate also goes through Snap-on for multiple special tools. I will be finding solutions for a way to never allow someone that treats us so badly without second thought onto the property. I know I'm not wrong about the disdain for Yuma that Snap-on has. The only thing I wonder is why can't you train someone to actually make it work here. Of all the amazing innovations to tools and equipment one would think WAIT IF WE CAN'T SELL IT THERE IS NO POINT IN DEVELOPMENT CORRECT.

You have overdeveloped your ** off. I'll give you that but long ago should have tried something called customer retention because for the life of me I can't imagine why someone would continue to support you when you care not in return. Great warranty but can't get it. No one to call, no one to see. The last guy we had was an actual FRANCHISEE, he did the same thing. You guys let him run both routes when he hadn't bought the other, he liked the other route better so he just started running that for about the last year he was supposed to be here but did help NO. You gave him what he wanted and screwed us again based on some sort of ideology that no matter what you'll be ok letting everyone on this route down and not giving 2 piles.

I hope the correct people see this if not I'm used to it especially from you. I have grown up in this industry and hope to be fortunate enough to be able to stay in the business but over the past years dealing with Snap-on tools as a partner has been enough to know that this is not the type of partner strong business models were based on. If someone that matters knows about this terrifying trend possibly this will end.

Snap-on Company Information