3.8/5 (441 ratings)

About SimpliSafe

SimpliSafe designs wireless home security systems that are easy to install with no drilling or tools. With a wide array of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection plus integrated apps that make system control possible from anywhere. It provides seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• Affordable plans
    • Highly customizable packages
    • Simple DIY installation

Cons

• Upfront equipment costs

Bottom Line

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

Top SimpliSafe Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

SimpliSafe is an easy to setup home security option. We've always had great interactions with their customer service and the system works flawlessly. The system is easily customiz...

Verified

Our family has found SimpliSafe to be reliable, affordable and a plus was; it was a breeze to install! No high pressure sales pitches whatsoever... You pick and choose what you fe...

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company that offers DIY systems with low monitoring costs. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. SimpliSafe offers month-to-month contracts, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term agreement.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of its competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Additional equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490.

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: professional and self-monitored. You can buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to keep an eye on things yourself. The professional monitoring plan comes with 24/7 monitoring, emergency dispatch, unlimited recording and weather monitoring. The self-monitoring plan offers unlimited video footage and alerts for any triggered sensors, though there’s no police or EMT dispatch with this option.

Self-monitoring planLimited Pro MonitoringProfessional monitoring plan
    24/7 monitoring
    Environmental monitoring
    Video alarm verification
    Video alarm verificationYes, up to five camerasYes, up to 10 cameras
    Self-monitoring planYes, up to five cameras
    Limited Pro Monitoring
    Professional monitoring planYes, up to 10 cameras

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. The company offers five preset equipment packages — the cheapest is the Foundation at $229, and the priciest is the Haven at $489. However, keep in mind that these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring fees. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages:

Foundation package ($229)
    • Everything in Knox package
    • Panic button
    • Freeze sensor
    • Water sensor

You can also add on equipment to your SimpliSafe package. The equipment is affordable partly because the company sells original, proprietary accessories, which cuts out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
    • Indoor camera: $99
    • Smart lock: $99

SimpliSafe FAQ

Who monitors SimpliSafe?
    It depends. If you choose a professionally monitored plan, its monitoring team offers 24/7 protection services. There’s also a DIY monitoring option, which lets customers self-monitor their devices without professional support.
    Is SimpliSafe wireless?
    Yes. SimpliSafe’s products work over wireless or cellular connection, meaning they don’t require a landline for operation. If you choose the Wi-Fi or wireless option, you’ll likely have more backup and connectivity than with cellular, although both are options.
    Can SimpliSafe be hacked?
    Yes, and it has happened in the past. Because it works over a cellular or wireless connection, it can be susceptible to hacking. The company has recently added encryption code that should help prevent this from happening in the future.
    Where do I buy SimpliSafe?
    It’s typical to buy these packages and products from the SimpliSafe website, Sam’s Club, Costco, Best Buy and Amazon, but they’re also available in various other locations, including Lowe’s and Walmart.
    Do I need a phone line for SimpliSafe?
    Nope. You can use Wi-Fi or connect to its cellular base station, depending on your preference and what your home’s set up for. Wi-Fi is the best option for consistent connectivity, but it might not be available for everyone.
    Does a SimpliSafe camera need Wi-Fi?
    No, but it might be better for connectivity. You can use the base station to connect over cellular data if you prefer.
    Can I use SimpliSafe without monitoring?
    Yes, SimpliSafe offers a self-monitoring plan.
    Does SimpliSafe have a doorbell camera?
    Yes. The SimpliSafe doorbell camera offers wide-angle HDR video. It costs $169 to add it to a package or to purchase by itself.

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a solid option for an affordable home security system. We love that it has a self-monitoring and a professional monitoring option, a wide array of plans and plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a whole day setting up your system, too. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, SimpliSafe is definitely one to consider.

SimpliSafe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

I placed an order and paid for expedited shipping over 10 days ago, and still have not received equipment. The "bright side" of the delay I suppose is that I was unable to book the installation until 10 days later anyway so there really was no rush, but I wanted to have the system in hand as soon as possible, as I was in the middle of a move. After reaching out several times to customer service I was advised that a shipment tracking number would be available once the items shipped (never once did anyone look into why I hadn't received a tracking number in over a week from placing the order). I finally call to speak with customer service who informed me that there was an issue with the order during the processing, after the payment was made. I am furious that no one caught this, especially after my multiple attempts to inquire about the order status.

My installation appt is for 2 days from now but apparently, my order won't even ship before 2 days from now. The rep offered to reimburse me for the expedited shipping I paid for which is nice, but I am extremely disappointed in this service so far. I don't know yet when I'll be able to reschedule installation, but they previously made me aware that they are booked for the month. I have moved into my new home already and now have to wait even longer to have peace of mind with a security system in place.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

Purchased two SimpliSafe outdoor cameras along with their 120V power sources so I didn't have to worry about replacing batteries. The cameras are an absolute failure. By the time they "wake up" which is 5 or more seconds, the 'bad guy' has already walked away! Nothing of value captured. Doesn't even capture me driving my car into the garage! Everything on my end is up to spec - power, network speed, wifi signal strength. Addressed to SimpliSafe with NO RESOLUTION. AND they are still selling the camera. Also have had at least two entry sensors fail (replaced gratis). Definitely will not recommend them for camera security.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

We purchased the Simplisafe system about a year ago. We have 3 exterior doors that are metal. Guess what, the door alarms won't work on metal doors unless you create a barrier between the door and the alarm...However, didn't know that until they were installed. However, I only have one that doesn't work at a lot. It will flash like you are opening the door but it won't register that it is open or shut. We have had several occasions when we open the door and it doesn't even buzz you to enter the code and then later, it will go off.

We also had an issue with the fire alarm going off in our newborn daughter's room because of the humidifier being on. The other night, we were out on the patio playing with our children. The fire alarm was "going off" in the dining room because I let peas boil dry (I know...) but it never actually went off...We never heard it. I walked into the house and NO alarms were going off but Simplisafe had already dispatched the fire department because my phone was inside and I didn't get their call. Why was the alarm still not going off when I went into the house because there was still smoke? I pay monthly for this security and all we get is a bunch of false alarms and fighting with the system to recognize that the damn door is shut. I wish I would have went with ADT when I chose a security system. Now I have over $1,500 in stuff that doesn't even work in the most basic of ways like knowing when a door is open or shut.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I purchased my first (of two) SimpliSafe systems in January of 2021. Included the base, smart lock, video doorbell, one indoor camera and several door sensors. I purchased a second system for another home some months later. Both systems' smartlock has not been reliable. On several occasions I need to either lock or unlock the main door from the app and it does not connect to the base, giving me an error.

I have been on the phone with support many times, and while they are readily available and helpful, I find that they have me uninstall and reinstall the smart lock or reset it multiple times. They even replaced the smart lock and it still fails. They told me they would ship the new one overnight and when it didn't arrive in 2 days they told me it was backordered and arrived a couple of months later. The base is approx 35 ft from the smartlock, unrestricted by walls. The door is steel, the base is on a wood cabinet and the floor is LVP. We check batteries, move the base closer, etc. They have credited me some months of service, which is appreciated, but doesn't help much if the system is unreliable. I have asked about returning the full system(s) for credit and they tell me it's not an option. I had another system in this house previously with no issues. Ever. I would not recommend this system to anyone at this point.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

So I was not happy with this alarm company in any way. It shut off out of the blue in the evenings, the camera would come on in the middle of the day, or kept breaking down and then it would disconnect from the wifi and take forever to hook it up again. In the last six months, I have been dealing with the FBI as they informed me that my daughter and I were being cased for sex trafficking. Cameras in our home, everything. Now that I am going over everything one that was involved with this, they found that the manager was in contact with one of the traffickers and was paid to turn my wifi off so they could get into my house while I was gone. They people are under serious investigation!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

We purchased the door sensors, the station, the camera and the sensors on the inside. You're allowed to see it on your app but you cannot see any of the recordings unless you pay them per month to do so so all the money you spend on the system. Nothing works unless you pay them money. Not a good system to buy. There are other systems out there that don't require monthly payments to get your security.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

This company cannot process an order in a correct manner already set to return the 800.00 product and its not even received yet. Customer service of no assistance at all after 30 minute phone call. I cannot imagine the hassle to activate the service let alone trust my home and family with this company. System will be returned when finally received.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

I have a complete SimpliSafe system in my home. Had a problem with the Carbon Monoxide detector in the system, so I needed a warranty replacement only to be told that “SimpliSafe no longer supports that device and it is permanently out of stock….Customer Service 08/08/22.” I quit ADT to put in the SimpliSafe system as it was complete with cameras, smoke detector, carbon monoxide, motion sensors, window coverage, and key code door lock and video doorbell. Very disappointed in SimpliSafe for not letting their customers know that they no longer even carry the carbon monoxide detector. If mine had not faulted, I guess I would not know either. We like the idea of a complete coverage system, and SimpliSafe is no longer in that category! Too bad, I really like what they are doing but this was a gut punch.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

This system is God awful. I spent a significant amount of money for sensors, cameras, glass breakages, and motion detectors. First night sensors dropped off. All throughout winter different sensors dropped signals. I had sensors on 30 windows. At some point, 10 sensors dropped the signal and came back on and continued to dropped the signal. I also have the door locks from Simplisafe. Tonight I went out to look at the locks and the front door is not online, not connected. It said to check the battery, I just put this thing on in May. So it can't be the battery. As I said in the beginning, do not buy Simplisafe. I just spent another $1,800 to put Ring in. I still have to get the locks. We live in another state from where this house is and I like to keep an eye on everything to make sure it's all secure. I can't do that with Simplisafe. If I have said it enough I'll say it again, STAY AWAY FROM SIMPLISAFE!!!

Original review: July 23, 2022

I have had SimpliSafe for approximately 7 years. We have the system for 27.99/mo. that includes monitoring where they call you if there is an alarm. We just upgraded to System 3. We were asked if we wanted smoke detectors so we said yes as we thought that it was tied into their system. BEWARE, it is not. The smoke detector is a stand-alone detector with no monitoring involved. We paid $29.99 for each of the detectors that don't operate any differently than one that can be purchased at a big box store for about $15.00. Other than the smoke detectors, we love our system. Very reliable.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

SimpliSafe Company Information