2. Homeowners

Shark Vacuums

2.9/5 (772 ratings)

About Shark Vacuums

Shark Vacuums Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark Vacuums?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shark?

Original review: July 7, 2021

I had bought my daughter this vacuum for Christmas a few years ago. Since then, I personally have used it at her house. We both have large dogs that are constantly shedding. The way this sweeper is constructed, it makes sweeping an easy chore. I can easily lift the canister to sweep the steps. When I am staying at my daughter’s house I sweep almost daily because of the dogs. It is durable as well. There isn’t one problem I have had with this sweeper. I had to buy one for myself. Easily 5 stars!!

Original review: June 27, 2021

About 4 months after I purchased the vacuum, it wasn't picking up. I called customer service and they took me through the steps of cleaning it. They told me if that didn't fix the problem, to call back and they would have me cut the cord and send me a new vacuum. It worked better but after a few months it wasn't picking up at all. I considered getting rid of my area rug or buying a new, better vacuum. Then I read some reviews on this vacuum that said it picked up dog hairs better than their Dyson and so I called them back. They said they would replace vacuum after I cut cord. The wand was working perfectly so that would have left me without a vacuum for 10 days! This was not acceptable to me. I told them I would cut the cord after I received the new one. They said they couldn't do that.

Finally, they sent me just the bottom part, not the whole vacuum. I added the old handle, cord and dust bin. It picked up amazingly well! It had never picked up like this from the first day. In fact, it works better on dog hair than my old Riccar that was made for this purpose. I was amazed. The reason I didn't give 5 stars is I agree with many people who say that you shouldn't be paying for shipping for parts on a machine under warrantee. Also, you shouldn't have to fight as hard as I did to get things done. Some of their policies are just wrong in my opinion. But in the end for the $22.50 shipping charge I have a great vacuum.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2021

My old vacuum quit working, I bought a Shark. I could not believe how much better it worked than my old vacuum. I loved it so much, I have since bought a 2nd shark vacuum for upstairs. I also have the shark mop and vac and the shark steamer. It is so easy to keep the house clean. I cannot say enough on how wonderful and dependable these shark products are. I truly appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into Shark. Customer for life!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I do not usually write reviews, because nobody usually is a 10, but Shark ranked a 10 today. After 5 years of ownership of a Shark Rotator TruePet my brush head stopped picking up. Come to find out the flexible hose line in the head had split. Thinking the worst and most likely many excuses I called the warranty line and they were GREAT!.. I had bought this unit thru Shark directly with a VIP Lifetime warranty and very glad I did! I had my receipt so they pulled up my order number, confirmed it, video chatted me to confirm the product had faltered and within 2 minutes had a NEW brush head on order and shipping to me. This is the kind of service you pay a little more for and worth every penny! (And the person actually spoke English!!!!)

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I have had the most amazing customer experience with this company I have ever had with any company. To say that I am beyond satisfied and impressed with their product, customer service and tech support is an understatement. To start from the beginning. I purchased a Shark vacuum a few years ago. I was so amazed behind the power, maneuverability, and function in this machine. I have used it A LOT and put it to the test, never once had an issue. Here we are now a few years later and unfortunately the brush and suction started not to work. I almost ran out to go spend money on buying a new vacuum but decided to first call customer service and see if perhaps they could help troubleshoot it before determining it was completely broken.

I called and was pleased not to have been waiting on the phone forever to speak to a customer service specialist. I was waiting a few short minutes until I got someone live on the phone who greeted me with such joy and seemed eager to be able to assist me in any way possible. The customer service specialist was very attentive and understanding of my issue and assured me that I would be taken care of.

After describing the problem I was asked to accept a text message link which allowed the specialist to see exactly what I was looking at and had the ability to draw on the video feed in order to point out areas as we did the troubleshooting. As a technician by trade and I understand firsthand how tough it can be to troubleshoot things over the phone. This experience was the first I have had using this system and it completely blew my mind away. How AMAZING AND EASY it was to be able to run through diagnostics and if I was uncertain, she would just circle an area to make things clear for me and it was as easy as that. She made things very simple to understand.

So at first, it was determined that before the brush could be fixed the motor had to be replaced. At this point she even said all I needed to do was cover shipping and handling which was less than $20 & they would be more than happy to send out a new motor. A few days later the package arrived and I was surprised by how fast it came. Excited to think that would fix the problem, ufortunately it did not. I was not worried at all because the customer specialist assured me that if for any reason this did not resolve my issue that they would make sure to do what they needed to do in order to get it working.

So I called customer service and again was greeted with some very polite and pleasant who was more than happy to assist with my issues. Going over the steps we had already taken to try and get things up and running, she advised we needed to replace the entire bottom piece. She looked in the system and saw that since it was an older model it would take a month to get in a replacement part but said that no shipping cost would be needed that they would be more than happy to send it out when it becomes available. So I figured no biggie, I got a shop vac that will make due for now and at this point I have spent less than a couple of weeks and only $20. What will a couple more weeks be. Pretty much getting an all new Vacuum for only $20, so who am I to argue.

THE BIGGEST SHOCK YET and after this moment Shark had won me OVER FOR LIFE. Not expecting something in the mail for about a month, I was shocked to have received a package from Shark a few days later. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. Instead of just replacing the broken piece, they sent an entirely brand new vacuum!!!! The newest model. Speechless and completely blown away. As a consumer for many years and having worked in customer service myself. I have never in my entire life seen a company that has absolutely amazed me start to finish like this with customer service and how they handle issues. It just shows what kind of team Shark has. I always believe it starts from the top and it sure shows what incredible leadership is taking place. Once again I truly RECOMMEND this company to everyone and I will be a supporter of Shark for life. THANK YOU SHARK TEAM for all of your expertise, hard work AND absolutely incredible customer service.

Original review: July 2, 2021

This vacuum is horrible. This is the second vacuum I bought. The first one I just thought was defective so I tried another more expensive upright. Big mistake!!! All the little buttons that are supposed to make your product easy to use break. I have only had my vacuum three months and probably vacuum twice a week a two bedroom apartment. The button that holds the handle to the upright portion broke so you have to hold the two pieces together (the handle and upright) in order to vacuum. It is insane. I called customer support and of course this is not covered under the warranty... I had to pay another 70.00 for a new hose.. So I now have a crappy $400.00 vacuum...I'll never buy another Shark vacuum again!!!!

Original review: June 29, 2021

We've had our robot vacuum for about 2.5 years now, and overall have been fairly happy with it. It's not as smart as some others we've seen at friends' houses, but it does a pretty good job of keeping the dog hair picked up on a daily basis. A couple days ago it stopped charging completely, and after a call with customer support they informed us we'd have to buy a new charging dock. Fair enough, we were way out of warranty on the product.

The day before the new charging dock arrived the old one somehow started charging again. Not sure what happened, but we were happy with it working again. When the new dock arrived I called to request a refund, but in the process of getting this done I got hung up on multiple times on top of being held on hold for extended periods of time. Eventually I decided to just keep the dock in case something happens with the current one because this hassle was not worth the $30 refund. This customer support experience has single handedly caused me to never buy any Shark products again. Side note: they do not pay for return shipping if you buy through the Shark website, so I'd suggest buying through Amazon where this is paid for by them if you end up wanting to buy Shark products.

Original review: June 17, 2021

This company has designed some truly terrible products that break consistently by design. It's extortion to design them to break and then try to get the customer to pay for the replacement part stating the brush head is not under warranty! What?! That's ridiculous. My devices broke in less than 6 months and hardly any use. I foolishly purchased their commercial model after the first one quickly broke thinking that would hold up but it lasted even less time that the first unit and they tried to extort me again.

The icing on the cake... I replaced the brush head on the commercial unit and it still didn't work. So, in order to get a replacement unit they made me literally CUT THE CORD on live video AND PUT MY BROKEN VACUUM IN A LANDFILL! They blame Covid-19 for not being able to ship the units back... excuse me, but it's June of 2021 and we now know that an old vacuum is NOT going to give you Covid. I will never purchase another Shark/Ninja product again.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Really poor Customer service. Bought our Shark Duo a year ago so still under warranty. Overnight the battery would not work. Luckily we had purchased a spare so continued to use that for a couple of weeks before that wouldn’t work either. Made contact with customer services 2 weeks ago and arranged for delivery of replacement battery with promise of new hoover if that didn’t solve the problem. Wrong battery was sent out so we then entered back in to conversation with customer services who told us that they would now send us the correct battery but it was out of stock. We were told we had to phone back today to arrange the next battery.

Amazingly when we called today we were told they weren’t going to send the battery but would send a new charger. This will arrive in 3-5 days via Royal Mail. We are currently looking at 3 weeks without a hoover. If this doesn’t work they will send out a new motor. I’m guessing we will then be looking at 4 weeks before we may be getting close to a solution. Why couldn’t we have just been given a new hoover and Shark's repair unit work on our faulty one??? Having read the other reviews I’m not surprised by our appalling experience.

Original review: April 26, 2021

I have owned many vacuum cleaners over the years, all which last about a year or so if you vacuum daily due to pets and husband who tracks in a lot of dirt. The Shark duo clean is an average vacuum cleaner but it is disappointing. With 4-5 swipes it generally gets the dirt and pet hair up into the vacuum. The cord is not long enough and is not at all pliable which makes it extremely difficult to maneuver around without untangling the cord all the time and it is extremely annoying when you are just trying to get things cleaned up.

The lift away on this vacuum is not like the other one I had, it lifts but separates from the main rotating function so you have to plug a manual brush on to use it. The other you could do both. I normally would not bother with reviews but I am so tired of seeing the things that the vacuums could, should and are supposed to do. They really do not once you use them. I just wish someone out there would build a more sensible, basic vacuum cleaner that does what it is supposed to do. Thank you.

Shark author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Shark is a family business in its third generation of ownership. The company makes a diverse range of household products and appliances.

• Lightweight design: Shark Navigator vacuums have lightweight designs that make cleaning easier.

• Customer reviews: Customer reviews on the Shark website help potential buyers decide which models are right for them.

• Available accessories: There are plenty of accessories that make Shark Navigator vacuums useful for cleaning vehicles, stairs, furniture and hard-to-reach surfaces.

• Customer service: Shark has strong customer services that include a lengthy online FAQ, live chat and Web support.

• VIP Warranties: Buyers can add five-year or lifetime warranties to their orders.

Shark Vacuums Company Information