Security Networks

• Security Networks is now owned and operated by Monitronics Home Alarms. Please click on this link to visit the Monitronics Home Alarms page for further assistance.

Resolution In Progress

Security Networks (Now Monitronics Security)

Margo, It is extremely deplorable to see that you have had to experience the loss of your home, car, and valuables. When incidents like this occur, MONI is on top of taking care of our customers and providing them with the best fit resolution. What you described doesn't sound anything like MONI. In fact, I have located your account with us, and it does not reflect a conversation taking place, pertaining to this matter. I have your contact information and will be reaching out to you to assist you. -Ashley C.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I signed up for this system May 2013. Oct 31, 2013, we had a flood in my neighborhood that destroyed my house, totaled my truck and washed away most of our inside belongings. When I notified your company about this I was told that I had to continue making payments. Well I still believe that I should not be making the payments. The security equipment does not exist. My house no longer exist. I want a refund of all the payments that I have made each month since January 2014. I will be sending this information to Texas Attorney General's office. I am paying for something that I do not have, that is not doing me any good. We were homeless. The equipment was not even all your property, it was a part of ADT Security. The property address was **. Please respond asap. Thank you.

Resolution In Progress

Security Networks (Now Monitronics Security)

Daneeka, Although I completely understand your frustration with trying to resolve a low battery issue, this is definitely something MONI would be able to resolve. We aim to provide our customers with exceptional service, and regret to see that we have not met your needs. I will be contacting you to get this problem resolved. -Ashley C.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

I called a few months ago and was told to switch my batteries on the camera in my house. I did, it worked about 2 weeks and stopped. I have had a signal telling me I have a low battery since I purchased this system in 2012. When calling today I was told I needed to use Lithium batteries. I ended up on the phone with someone telling me my contract expires in Feb when it was supposed to expire last year... who renewed it? I then got transferred to another phone to cancel the service EXCEPT they wanted me to call back in 15-20 mins because their system is down. Perhaps the bank system will be down when the next payment is due?! This is so disturbing... what am I paying for, the sign that says I have an alarm?

I purchased a home in 2012 and signed with a specific company. I learned that my contract had been sold to Monitronics when I began to receive bills from them after I thought my contract had ended with the other company. I moved in July 2015 and contacted Monitronics to explain that I was no longer living at the residence. I have continued to receive bills and harassing calls at work. At one point, I had over 30 missed calls from them... Last month, I spoke with 2 reps in the Relocation Department attempting to explain that I, my children and I are residing with my parents. In so many words, the reps could care less. They offered me a 25% discount or to see of my mom would take over the contract. Neither is feasible!

I sent in a cancellation request as suggested by the last rep I spoke with but have not heard back from the company yet. The report said that I could return the request and a supervisor would be in touch with me within 2 business days, at which time I could explain my situation to see if there was anything else they could do. That's been almost 2 weeks ago... On top of that, I found out that they raised the price I was paying, which means that I owe them even more money!

I purchased my business in April 2015. The previous owner had a Monitronics monitored alarm system. She called them and notified them I would be the new contact person. I took over paying the bills and paid faithfully each month. The beginning of February 2016 something happened and my alarm system started using the backup battery. I was not aware this happened. Then at some point over the weekend, while the system was armed, the battery backup failed and the system shut off. On Monday morning my first employee arrived and found that the alarm was off and none of the keypads worked so she called me. I was, as any person would be who is dutifully paying for monitoring, outraged. How could you allow my armed system to completely shut off leaving my business vulnerable to hundreds of thousands of dollars of loss and damage and never notify me!

I called Monitronics immediately. They said they received the signal that the battery backup was low and again when it failed. I asked why I wasn't notified. They said they called the first number once and no one answered. I asked why they didn't call the secondary number. That's exactly why they have it. They said it's not a top priority so they don't go down the list of numbers. They called us once and that was all they are required to do. Are you ** kidding me!!! How is my system while armed completely shutting off not important enough to do everything possible to reach your paying customer!! I told them this was unacceptable and I would be calling back to cancel. I contacted ADT, whom I've used for personal home monitoring for nearly a decade and is the best company out there to get them to take over.

On February 12th ADT came out and took out the system. They had to remove Monitronics box as it was set up to prevent any other company from monitoring. I called Monitronics to cancel. The first person I spoke with transferred me to the "correct" department. I was informed I had 4 months left on my contract. I informed her I never signed a contract with them and would not be paying them another dime. She was rude and told me I had to. I informed her I wanted to speak to management. She said she was. We went in circles for awhile then she agreed to transfer me to her boss and hung up on me!!! I called back. Was again transferred to the "correct" department a few times before I reached Dexter. Dexter was more polite. I explained to him the situation. He put me on hold for about 15 minutes and came back and said I signed an electronic contract and said it was online.

I told him that was not possible. I've never even been to their website. He again put me on hold for about 15 minutes. I of course had a business to run and when he got back he said it would be a bit longer he was looking into it. I told him I had appointments to see and he said he would call me back that day once he got the information. I told him I need to see this contract that was supposedly signed in March 2015. We hung up and I've not heard back. I've made it very clear to them I'm not paying them anymore money, they failed to do the job I was paying them for, they are creating a contract that doesn't exist (forgery??? pretty illegal so I'm guessing I will never see it either). I have no obligation to this company and I've now made it clear I'm canceling but they don't want to process my cancellation so they are avoiding me. Stay away from them! Bad bad bad!

I have been fighting with this company since March 2013. I was told that they were merging with ADT first then they installed everything. Said that my rate would be the same or cheaper. My rate almost tripled. Agreed on a 2 year contract. They said I agreed to three year and I didn't. Then now they are saying they did one year automatic renewal. All year I have told them "I am cancelling with you". I can't wait until March 2016. Now they are trying to say my contract ends in 2017. They use the recorded lines to their benefit. Every call I always say "I can't wait till 03/2016". I have had incidents go on at my home. They called the day after. Do not send these people your money. They don't deserve it!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Security Networks?

Be careful with auto renewal. I called to have my service stopped at the end of my contract. When my contract ended, that month service was shut off. Two yrs. later with no notice, I received a letter telling me I owed them 2,000 dollars for a service I had not received for 2years. I explained service was shut off, was told contract automatically rolled over, service or not. Now it has been turned over to collections.

Went through local company tappers security to install an alarm that was suppose to be able to change from landline to cellular when I was ready. Called local company when ready to install for cellular use and was told by owner that I did not have that type of alarm but if I had $500 he could install correct one. I complained to Security networks who said they could do nothing. So I continued to honor the 3 year contract on wrong alarm and land line terminated so technically I had no working alarm for 2 1/2 years. I did this to not ruin my credit. After 3 yrs I mailed and faxed Security networks my termination letter which is their policy.

Well now Security networks claim they did not get the letter. Really?? I mailed and faxed one and mysteriously they didn't receive either letter. Hmm?? So Security networks automatically renewed my contract. As if I have not been screwed enough because I would not pay for this such renewed contract they turned me over to collections. Once again to save my credit, I had to pay $493 to get back in good standing with Security networks. They did however contact a different local company since I would not deal with tapper security to install a piece of equipment so I would be able to use alarm by cellular. This piece was installed and I would now pay for one more year of service.

That was 8 months ago and alarm has beeps constantly and has communication problems for entire 8 months. So once again I'm stuck paying with an alarm that does not work. Security networks wants to send tapper back out to see what problem is and charge a service charge. I called Security networks today who have now changed to Monitronics and guess what??? Security networks renewed my contract for 36 months not the one year I was originally told. I have till 2016 they want me to pay for a nonworking malfunctioning alarm. I told them I was going to get a lawyer.their response "who would I sue" Security networks is no longer in business. Does anyone know my rights I what can I do without ruining my credit?? ?

We contracted with Point Security of Austin, Texas to installed a complete security system. The alarm goes off weekly saying the Radio Monitor failed but nobody can tell me what that means or how to stop it. It finally stops by itself. Point Security turned the monitoring over to Security Networks. Whenever we have a problem, calling Security Networks is a real pain. They do not answer the phone and when they do, they put you on hold forever. When they come back on the line, they don't know how to fix the problem and have to put you on hold again forever while they turn it over to another technician.

This last time the fire alarm went off and after getting Security Networks on the line after a very long wait with the alarm sounding and the fire department standing in the house, Networks couldn't figure out what to do so the fire department pulled the alarm off the wall to stop the noise. Thankfully they responded to the alarm. Security Networks finally after many tries said they would have to send somebody out to repair the system. Security Networks turned it over to Monitronics Security. The only time they could get out was two weeks later.

Monitronics said they would be here last Friday between 12 & 4. We waited the entire time and nobody showed or called. I finally, after another long wait time, got somebody on the phone to ask what happened. They said sorry and rescheduled for today between 12 & 4. AGAIN nobody showed or called. At this point I've given up and will turn it over to my attorney. I would strongly suggest you now deal with this company or their monitoring company - Security Networks/Monitronics Security!!!!

I have 4 accounts with this piece of company. My first problem was, one of my houses was broken into, but no one ever showed up. Called the company. They sent someone out to fix. What a joke. Same house, back door was kicked in. Again no one was called. Called them when replaced back door. No one ever came out to replace equipment on door. I have a business. That one has gone off a few times - no one showed up. One of the houses that they installed an alarm has NEVER WORKED. You call them to come out, they never show up. This company is just collecting money from its customers, but no service. I think it's time for this company to have to answer to someone. I have not seen one good review about this company.

I was a customer for Security Networks for about a year at my previous house. During that year, I made two complaint to the company that my alarm was accidentally tripped and I was not notified via phone call and police were not called. Notified the company and they said it was unfortunate and they would look into it. They never called back to tell me why. I since then have moved from that address and was under the assumption that they were going to transfer my service to our new house. They told me I would have to go to my old house which is occupied by the new owners, and pull all the equipment out so they could install it in our new house.

We signed up for Security Networks when we had someone at our door, the day after a rape in our neighborhood. We paid for carbon monoxide detector that was not even hooked up! They automatically renew in middle of contract! After doing research, they are the worst company in the business! Stay away!!

In January 2014 our fire alarm kept going off, for no reason, I could not get it to turn off. This happened several times. I called to have someone come out. They made an appointment to come in about a week. Then my husband was operated on and in the hospital, so we had to cancel that appointment. In the meantime, we were not using the system. The fire alarm has been without batteries since that time, resulting in our not being able to use the system. Yesterday 4/22/2014, a service person came out, he checked everything, put in new batteries, which I had already purchased (and took my batteries, also). Put up the alarm. I was boiling water for dinner, the fire alarm went off and the only way I could get to turn it off was to take it down and remove the batteries, again. So we are back to square one.

I tried to cancel the service, then they told us we had a contract until July 22, 2015. I do not have a copy of the contract, and I have requested three time a copy of the contract, they were going to email it to me but I have not received this yet. I was told by one representative on the phone the smoke alarm needed to be moved, and that we would have received a new alarm when they took over our system. We do not have a new alarm. I do have the contract that says they did not replace it when Security Network took over from ADT. I am at my wits end as to what to do to get this resolved. How can I cancel this contract or at least to get someone to resolve the problem. I talk to people on the phone and they assure me it will be taken care of, but now I have to call for another service call, and reschedule again. Do we have any rights at all in this matter?

Security Networks is unquestionably the most unethical and unhelpful company that I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I first began my experience with Security Networks in June of 2009. A retired Army First Sergeant came to my door with this home security sales pitch and I, being military myself, wanted to help him out. For the first few months everything seemed to be fine; the equipment worked well, customer service was helpful, and I was immediately notified the few times the alarm system was tripped. However, that changed very quickly. Within several months I was no longer called when the alarm was tripped and the police were never notified and asked to come investigate the reason for the alarm activation.

On one specific occasion while I was deployed, the alarm was tripped late at night. Security Networks never called my wife or notified the police that our house alarm had been activated. Instead, my wife hid in the closet and called the police herself. Simply unacceptable. Now, having been ordered by the Army to move across country to a new duty location, Security Networks will not cancel our contract without a $200.00 early cancellation fee. We will continue to be charged for services that we no longer receive until termination of the contract. I was aghast when I heard this, so I called them and when I asked to speak to a manager, they simply said that management would not talk to me. Not only do I not recommend Security Networks, but would ask those of you reading this review to actively warn anyone seeking a home security system to avoid this company.

My equipment was inadvertently unplugged in July 2013. I noticed it in December 2013. No calls from Security Networks who are supposed to be monitoring my system 24/7 that there was a problem with my connection. They finally call in March of 2014 not to inform me that there is a problem with my system, but to request a new account number for them to withdraw my monthly fees from because my old account had been closed due to the target hacking in December. When I inquired if they were still monitoring my home I was assured that they were. When I confronted her that they had not been since July of 2013 or they would have contacted me, I was transferred and the rep did indeed confirm that no one from there had contacted me in July or December when they saw a Low Battery reading on my account.

He put me on hold to talk to a supervisor, who never did have the common decency to speak to me, but instead instructed the rep to inform me that it's my responsibility to test my equipment every month and contact them to assure that it is working?!!! Really??? It's my fault that they aren't actually monitoring my home? Someone could have come through my basement window, unplugged my unit, murdered my family, set my house on fire and they wouldn't have even called to see if we were ok, because it's my responsibility to contact them every month!!!! They won't let me out of the "contract" unless I pay $1500.00 dollars and are turning me over to collections to ruin my credit scores for a service that they weren't even providing!!!! This company is a scam and all they want is to take your money and provide everyone with a false sense of security. Don't let them in your door!!!!

My salesman told me I was signing a 2 year contract. A bold lie. 3 years later I tried to cancel but found out it was really for 60 months. Stupid me. Horrible company, will tell everyone I know. Scam scam scam. Paid money to cancel any future bank charges. Don't do it.

I sold my home where I had a security system with monitoring through Security Networks Sept. 2013. I had my account for well over 2 years. I called the company in October 2013 to explain that the home had been sold and to close the account. I was told I would have to request the account be closed, but still pay for an additional 6 months. When I purchased the security system, I was told I was only obligated for one year and after that I could cancel the service at any time.

I sent a letter both postal and fax requesting the account be closed in Oct. 2013. I also stated that I would be stopping automatic credit card payments monthly. Since January 2014, I have been receiving monthly statements for service (in addition to paying for service via credit card Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec 2013) on a house that this company knows I no longer own nor live in. DO NOT PURCHASE THEIR SERVICES!!!

I switched from ADT about 2 years ago to Security Networks because I thought I was getting a better deal. I just recently moved and they charged me $199 to relocate my system or I could sign another 5 year agreement. After they re-installed at my new house, I was told my smoke detector that THEY installed was not pairing. A week later I learned I was NEVER covered for fire monitoring and the smoke detector was not theirs! I now have to pay $115 for the equipment plus $25 install fee. I feel duped. All this time I thought my family was protected. As soon as my contract is up I am NOT renewing. If I cancel now they will charge me $1,679 (the rest of the contract). This is WRONG. I do not recommend them.

It's April of 2014. I signed a contract in 2005 and always paid on time. If you ever even THINK you may need to sell your home or condo, do not use this company! Getting out of a contract with them, even when SELLING and moving, is a nightmare and you will be hard-pressed to even speak to anyone in the know there. When calling you will be passed from agent to agent and then they drop your calls. So then you start dialing and waiting again in long wait queues. It happened so often to me that I think it's not a coincidence! So if you move and need out, you are stuck. If you dispute the charges, they will turn you over to a debt collector and you will still be obligated to pay. BUYER BEWARE. Think again before signing any contract with these folks!

We tried to cancel contract in October 2013 when I paid the bill, sent a cancellation notice and another bill came in November. So we contacted them and said we canceled this service. They said we could not cancel the service; it had to be signed so we signed it and faxed it to the number they gave us. We received another bill for December. We contacted them and now they say we have a 5-year contract. We never signed a contract and asked them to show us the contract we signed and we got sent from one person to another, then to their contract department and, as of 04/02/2014, they still can't produce a contract but the phone calls come 3 a day and threats of renewing my credit at the credit bureau and still I ask for the contract they say I signed and I know I didn't sign anything. Still nothing. They even went as far as to call my son and tell him I didn't pay my bill. How can a company with so many complaints still be in business?

I closed my acct Nov 2013. I did not realize the acct was still active on my online bill pay and once I noticed it I called them asking for my $ to be refunded. The rep called me combative, the supervisor was yelling at me and told me he will continue with his tone if I don't stop talking. He called me a liar when I told him about the rep's behavior. Do not do business with them ever!!

Signed a 5 year contract as I was told that was all I could get - lie. Never returned to complete the installation upon many calls to have it taken care of - lie. Moving, want to cancel. They want to charge me $49.95 for 29 months or over $500 to relocate it along with an additional extend contract terms - crook. I was told if I ever moved there would not be a charge since I had paid for the installation once - lie. Each person you speak to Billing, Relocating and Sales provide a different story - commissioned thieves. This company should be stopped and should provide better customer service One and Done - not speak to 10 people who all give you an uneducated answer.

I signed with Security Networks in 2008. In November of 2012, I came home one day to my alarm going off. The neighbor told me it was going off all day. I called the alarm company and they told me I was not being monitored since June 2012 due to the fact that my phone line was incompatible with their service. I canceled immediately.

I agree with many of the complaints here about Security Networks. We are also moving to a place that already has a security system in place, however, they want to charge $523.17 to cancel the contract. I've never received a call back from supervisors/managers, customer service gave me wrong email addresses (this was verified from another representative that the address given to me was invalid), one customer service rep talked to me as if I was hard of hearing, my written confirmation wasn't sent as I was told it would be, they told us over the phone our contract was for 5 years, but when I found the actual paperwork it was for 3, and they won't provide the full name of who you are talking to. Very rude (some reps) over the phone. They are a nightmare if you want to cancel, but will gladly take your money.

Their contract says you may cancel if the services cease to be offered as stated in the contract. Well, if you are moving to a place where you cannot continue their services because that apartment complex or rental have an existing security system, wouldn't those services cease to be offered as stated??? The answer is no according to Security Networks customer service. Not one manager has contacted me yet after several requests.

MILITARY UNFRIENDLY! My husband signed a 36 month contract with Security Networks. When he was deployed the contract ended and we got automatically renewed for another 36 months. I called them and explained that my husband is not available because of his deployment and they did not care because I was not the person on the contract, only he could cancel the contract. I told them I have a Power of Attorney that I can do everything in his name. They wanted me to send a copy of it and my husband's orders. I did so over Email. The next day they had a manager call me back to tell me that I have to pay almost $1000 to buy out of the contract. I told them I needed to talk to my husband about that. I don't make decisions like this without him. We decided to just to suck it up and go for the next 36 month.

We are now 13 months away from the end of the second 36 months and we got the next problem. Our wall unit started to make noises. My husband called right away and they told him over the phone how to turn it off. They promised to send someone over the next Monday. I was already not happy having to wait 4 days for someone to come out. That Monday no one showed up. We waited another day to make sure we didn't get the day wrong. After that day we called again. They apologized and told us we didn't have to pay the $25 service fee. The service man came and did his test. After a while he went out and checked for a signal. Come to find out we don't even have a signal coming in to the house. I am not even sure how long this has been going on. The service man asked me how old this unit is and I said it's been here for 5 years. He got on his phone and after 5 minutes told me my options. Either I am spending $700 for a new unit or I am getting in a new 4 year contract and that new unit is for free. I told him NO to both. When my husband got home he called Security Networks and they gave him those two options as well and one more that would cost us $365 to buy us out this time.

Unethical Sales: The sales person that sold us the system never mentioned that we were locked for 5 years. We knew we were not going to live in that house for so long, so it is not possible that it slipped through that detail. They also said that it was free to transfer the service to a new house and we liked that, as I mentioned, we knew we wouldn't be for long there, yet they want to charge us close to 700 dollars to re-install the equipment in the new house or 99 dollars if we renew the contract for another 5 years. This is not an ethical way to do business.

Very poor customer service: We have called numerous times explaining what happened, locally and to their HQ, and have gotten nowhere. They won't do anything for us. They maintain their position on the contractual language. While that is probably legally fine, it is a very bad customer service policy. They will never get my business ever again and I will discourage anybody I know from using them. I am really disappointed with them.

Bought a house with an existing account through this company. Closing contract had seller provide credit on the account for 3 years. During account take over process, company does not return calls and has not been consistent on what to do to get the account changed over to my name. Was told today they were issuing refund to seller because I was not on the original contract even though I submitted a new contract in my name as a take over of the existing account. Much to say, will ask seller to forward refund to myself and will find a different company to work with. Very frustrating and would not recommend.

Trying to Relocate my alarm system, they are forcing me to pay a service fee or sign a new contract. I need to relocate my security system, the company is forcing me to pay a $199.00 fee even though the contract states that the fee will be charged if the system need to be relocated in the first 12 months, or sign a new contract of 5 years with less services or pay the contract in full to cancel services. The contract does not state that I cannot move the system myself but they are saying it is their policy, meanwhile my family feels unsafe at our new location while I travel for work in other states.

I had 3 days to move so I had to dismount the gear myself and now I have to pay the fee and they are voiding my warranty. I feel this is an unfair practice and it is forcing me to pay them more money, I have no option to get the services up again without a cost. I am a Cisco network engineer and more than capable technically of installing the system myself as I install complex communicating systems for large enterprise company as a full time job. I have tried calling them multiple times and was even hung up on while trying to speak with a supervisor, not to mention they were very rude with my wife. I feel they're strong arming me to get additional revenue from me, plus their sales guy told me it was only a 3 year contract and come to find out it is a 5 year contract.

I signed a contract with Vision Security for home alarm system. The Vision Security salesman, Aaron **, misled me and made false representations regarding the service. In Oct of 2013 (a Friday night) my alarm sounded for no reason whatsoever. It just went off. I did not receive a call from anyone allegedly monitoring my alarm. Every number I called resulted in a recording saying their office was closed. I sent Vision Security a cancellation letter and stopped them from charging my bank account. I lodged a complaint with the BBB of Utah. Vision Security points the blame at Security Networks, who now I understand is out of business! They are sending me to collections. I have done everything I've been told to do and they have acknowledged nothing. I have an excellent credit score and do not want this reflected on it.

STAY AWAY FROM SECURITY NETWORKS, RUN!!! I was a customer with Security Networks for over a 3 years and as per the contract I submitted in writing the request not to have my service renewed. They agreed to allow me to go month to month since I was not going to renew and they didn't want to lose me as a customer. After I left them to go to a company that had much more modern equipment they continued to bill me. I sent them multiple letters as well as called them after every letter received.

Every letter went without a response and every phone call ended with them saying they would look into it and get back to me. I was stonewalled for months and now they have reinstated my contract and sent it to collections trying to collect on the auto renewed contract that was canceled.

Was visited by the salesperson in May 2013 and since I had been considering a security system and was told that they would install equipment for free in exchange for putting a sign in the yard, I agreed. I am not in the habit of signing contracts, and he never said this was a 'contract'. He only said my pricing would be guaranteed for 3 years.

We had to sell our home 6 months later, and when I called to see about canceling, I was told that was not a possibility. I would either have to continue to pay, or pay out the remaining 2.5 years of the contract at $50/month. SN said I could transfer the system to my new house, but we were moving in with family while we looked for a new home and were unable to transfer. They said the only other option was to get the new owners to take over the contract.

Went over this with our real estate agent, who spoke to the other agent and buyers, and I was told they had agreed to take over the contract. The sales rep said he would go by our home on closing weekend to go over everything with the new owners. After being charged the next month, I called Security Networks, who contacted the sales rep and the rep said he didn't know he was supposed to contact the new owners. The customer service rep told me I needed to fax in a letter stating that I would no longer be the contact person for the alarm.

After my second charge on my card, I called my bank to dispute and was refunded for those 2 months. However, I was 're-billed' through the bank because they said Security Networks provided them with a copy of my 'contract'...and was also told that their hands were most likely tied because it was a recurring charge matter so I would likely continue to be billed monthly.

Had I known it was an actual 'contract', I would never have agreed to a 3 year term of service. Nonetheless, if you encounter unforeseen circumstances like having to move, I would think they could work with you. Then again, that is something that a more customer oriented company would do, and this company is not one of those. I hope the new owners are enjoying the 'service' they are receiving at my expense...if SN isn't billing both of us and just not telling me that the new owners actually did take over my contract!

Security Networks (Now Monitronics Security) Company Profile