4.10/5
Based on 459 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a home warranty company?

Secure Home Warranty

At Secure Home, we know that unexpected repairs on a home can put a strain on your wallet, while also causing unnecessary stress. We put you in the very best hands with our extensive warranty plans, and our consultants, who are available 24/7 to assist you. Providing coverage for heating, electrical, plumbing and appliances helps give you peace of mind knowing that you're always just a phone call away from avoiding a costly repair. All of our contractors are graded on a satisfaction survey from our customers, so you can rest easy knowing our network is comprised of only the best and most trusted. Call us today for a quote!

477 Secure Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 1, 2018

Worst home warranty ever! Problem: I filed a claim to get my rental house water heater fixed on Tuesday 4/10/2018. CHW assigned J & L Plumbing to come fix the water heater on Thursday 4/12/2018 and the technician found a switch had been turned off and he checked out everything and found there is no leak and indicated that if the 50 gallon tank leaks, the garage would be wet but it wasn’t wet. He seemed to be confident and experienced and mentioned that he has 18-20 years of experience as plumber. He commented that the corrosion on the tank was normal and not a sign of leak. After he left the water was hot and everything was fine. If there was a leak, it is my understanding that we would not have had hot water for that day.

On 4/13/2018 water again did not heat up so I called J & L Plumbing and CHW and they said they will send another plumber. The technician came and this time said the tank has a leak even though there was no water in the garage and home warranty will therefore not cover it. We told the technician, what the prior technician stated that when 50 gallon tanks leak the water would be everywhere but he didn’t have any explanation and he kept saying the 1st technician made a wrong diagnosis. He then said J & L plumbing can give me a discount and do the whole thing for $850 and I would have to pay the expense out of my pocket. I called CHW and complained about the issues.

They said they can have the supervisor call me but I can hire an independent contractor and pay out of my pocket for another referral. I called Performance Water LLC on 4/14/18, and told them to come and diagnosis the problem. The technician came and said, lower element and thermostat failed and he called and tried to get the parts but the parts were not replaceable. I have attached his bill and statement to this email. My tenants were upset since they were out of hot water now for 4 days and they have a 1 year old baby. I decided to get the water heater replaced by Performance LLC at a cost of $750.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I bought a full 5 year contract starting 6-1-16, then was offered getting a 6th year free. Then the sales manager said I can pay upfront and get a discount and only pay $2k. I even called back in November 2016 and added the sprinkler system, my sales guy gladly added that and said - "If you want to add it, instead of $99/year, I can do it for half price of just $50/year for a total of $250 extra for the entire duration of the term of 5 years + 12 months free (6 years total)." They told me that I was in a "heavy service volume area" and that I would receive VIP service. Well, you know the story, I was given the runaround for the 2 or 3 small claims that I submitted regarding the microwave, dryer and pool heater. They didn't pay, they didn't answer the phone and now if you call it's just a busy signal anytime day or night. I'm just now seeing that they are CLOSED down. NOT Fair! Can a company just rip people off like this?

I've received nothing and my contract is supposed to be valid until 2022 and I paid in full!!! The guy who sold me has a PA direct line and his name is Frank **, gonna try and track him down and I want my money back. We can't let these guys rip us off!!! I hope someone can contact me at ** so we can all do something about this. HERE'S MY SALES GUY'S NAME AND INFO. Not even sure this is real name!!! So mad!!! Frank **. Sales Manager. Secure Home Warranty. 888-825-2621 Ext **. "Safe, Secure, Reliable." www.securehomewarranty.com.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Decided to put a house I had lived in for 4 years up for rental and was moving out of state. Decided to look into a whole home warranty since I wouldn't be in the area if something went wrong . Researched company with good reviews "at the time " and landed on Secure Home Warranty. Signed up for 2 years of service that costed me close to $1,000. After a few small issues at the house I had trouble even getting ahold of anyone with Secure Home Warranty. The one time I did they said it would be a couple weeks to even get service to the area which they previously stated would be within 24 hours always.

They backed out of ever doing anything for me. This last winter I had a furnace go out which was covered and it appears the company no longer exists. I have called many times. Always a busy signal. Sent multiple emails. No reply. It's been months with no sign of this company even existing. I hope they aren't able to scam anybody else. I would love to see something done. Class action lawsuit?

Original review: April 12, 2018

I checked around the internet for the top home warranty companies. This company came up pretty favorable and so I contacted them and I was going to purchase for a year but then I was offered a better deal for two years and then for three years and so on and so on and so I said that I would take it for a full 5 years getting a 6th year free for $2,000 AND, if I paid upfront I could get a discount and only pay $1,895. Well, you know the story, I had a claim they didn't pay, they wouldn't pay, they won't pay, they didn't answer the phone, they won't answer the phone and now if you call it's just a busy signal anytime day or night... Hey! Secure Home Warranty, I hope anyone who is associated with this scam gets cancer... You scumbag **!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I WANT TO FILE A CLASS LAWSUIT AND WONDER WHO ELSE IS OUT THERE BEING RIPPED OFF. We bought a house last year and were advised to get a home warranty. I went online and looked up the top ten best home warranty companies called the top 3 or four and got (WHAT I THOUGHT WAS) the best deals. I supposedly covered us for 2 and 1/2 years for the price of 2 years. (About $700.) THE RIPOFF company was called SECURE HOME WARRANTY--- and we had a fan break -- turned in a claim, filled out all the forms, bought the fan, and submitted the form. Next I got a letter saying we would be reimbursed within 30 days. That was a year ago... I called to see about the check and was assured that it had not been sent in error that was last April...

THEN my furnace went out... I called to make a claim and could not even get through. Each time I called and pressed 3 to file a claim I would get disconnected?? I called and pressed the button as a new customer and immediately got a live person. I told them of the furnace and of the unpaid claim and they immediately connected me to DeBacker's, here in town, who came over and replaced my heater fan and advised me that all I had to pay was labor charges (which I paid to them that day). Several weeks later I was informed that they too, had not received a payment from this company. NOW here we are a year later and no payment has been made.

I just paid DeBacker's today. I have filed a claim with the office of Attorney General in PA where the company is located and today I got a response saying "they are sorry they are unable to resolve this issue" and that I have to file a complaint with the magisterial district judge (which I believe is like our small claims court) --- which probably means I will have to hire an attorney from PENNSYLVANIA to make a claim. I AM LIVID!!! I am out well over $1000 and have no home warranty. PLEASE SHARE THIS AND IF YOU HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF BY THEM contact me (PM or FACEBOOK).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Secure Home Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have a contract that I paid for policy effective since 7/2017 to April 2018 and I cannot reach them to file a claim or get any service. I have emailed several times and called them many times. The phone line is just giving a busy signal and no answer. They took my money and have not provided service.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I was charged a renewal fee and I've been trying to contact them for months to get a refund. I been trying to at least use their services but the phone is out of service and tried two email addresses that are valid and still no response. I am forced to purchase a dryer and I need my money back to do it. Any information on this company or what steps can I take?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

We had an issue with our air conditioner over the summer. They never called me back and we needed to get it fixed asap as it was super hot. The local air conditioner guy said he had worked with this company several times so knew that he would come fix it and then just get reimbursed once they called in the work order. Several months later we receive an invoice for the work done by the local guy. Tried calling and calling and no answer. I emailed them and they did email back on 11-2-17 stating the following:

"We are currently upgrading our phone system and the website will soon display that information. As of right now we are communicating to/with all of our customer, nationwide, via e-mail. I do apologize for any miscommunication or discrepancy incurred. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the delay in processing your recent claim inquiry. At this time our technicians are a little backed up. We are working towards processing all requests in a timely manner. However, at this time we continue to experience significant delays. Our dispatching department estimates that it will take anywhere between 5 - 10 days to assign a technician to your claim. For this reason we would like to offer you another option.

We have pre-authorized you to secure your own licensed service technician locally in your area. If possible, you may hire any licensed service provider to complete the work - any covered repairs will be reimbursed to you as per the guidelines of your policy. Simply email us a copy of the paid invoice/receipt for the repairs to Claims@SecureHomeWarranty.com, and we will review it in a timely manner. Any covered items will be approved for reimbursement as per the guidelines of your policy.

*If this is not an option for you then we certainly understand, please let us know and we will continue working on your request until we have assigned a technician to your claim. We ask that you please allow approximately 5 - 10 days for dispatching. We apologize deeply for this delay, and appreciate your continued patience and understanding as we work towards resolving these issues."

Since this time I have tried multiple times to get ahold of them. Now we are stuck with a 380.00 bill that should have cost us around 80...and to top it off...we paid for 5 years. 5 YEARS upfront when we first bought the house 2 years ago. It was 1,750.00...just makes me sick! I could have just put that money aside for when something broke instead. If there is anyone that is going to pursue this further please let me know.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Our dishwasher needed repairs in May of 2017. I was told to get it fixed and they would reimburse in two weeks. I have been in touch with them (when their phone works) numerous times and got the same answer, that the check will be mailed on Friday. Now I can't even reach them. Very disappointed with their false promises or outright lies.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I purchased a 3 year Home Warranty. I had an issue in October of this year. I was told by V. ** it would take their contractors a month before it would get done and to find a contractor myself and I'd get reimbursed. When I called and emailed the company 5 times, I am not getting a response. I want my money back!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Same issue as last review - have a problem with my water heater (which is covered in home warranty) and I have called at least 20 times and I get a busy signal. I have also emailed Secure Home Warranty twice and have not received ANY communication. In the title I wrote “service needed immediately” and cannot under any circumstances get anyone to service the home warranty I bought (which was also multi year - 2 year paid in full upon purchasing). This is crazy and there must be some government or consumer agency to go after this company. They have taken our money and have left us high and dry. Any suggestions what to do now?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I would like to know if they have gone out of business? If there are any lawyers out there that would like to put together a class action lawsuit, please let me know as I would like to join it. I paid for a 3 year home warranty with them about a year and a half ago. It looks like I’m out of a lot of money now. No one answers the phone and it goes to a busy signal after a half of a ring, which leads me to believe the phone is out of service.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I purchased SHW in July, 2017. I paid the policy in full - $360 for a 12 month plus 2 extra months. I submitted a claim in Sept. Was told it would take 30 days to reimburse me. Now I understand the company is no longer in existence. How can I get my money back? Someone please help me!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

A agreed upon settlement in the amount of $196 was sent to me according to Secure Home Warranty on 9/1 2017. Here it is 11/1 and nothing. They said it would take 15 to 30 days. I have been calling them for the last month with no answer sometimes 3-4 times a day. They are no good. They have no trouble taking my $950 dollars for their services. But they don't carry through. There is a enough bad people in the world without doing business with them. They will answer in the hereafter. No good money grabbers.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have a contract with them for 2 years, I paid in full. I had a problem with my microwave and I called them to fix it. The guy came. I paid $45 deductible and he told me that the microwave has to be changed. I call them, I did all that they told me and said that they would refund me $100. I never received it. I keep calling nothing. I decided to cancel the contract. I call them and they canceled it but it's about 2 months still now I don't receive any refund. I am calling them and they don't answer my phone call.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I called to cancel my policy. Was advise it will be Cancelled and I would received my payment back in 10 days. As of today I haven't received my payment back and it over 20 days. When you call now you can't talk to anyone. I never gave them the ok to charged me for another year. Stay away. This company is a scam.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

After making a claim in April I have continued to call to find out why I have not received my check. At this time no one answers the phone. I have been told that the check would be sent and I have followed up with email, with no response.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I am a Realtor in the Metro Phoenix area. Last year I purchased a home warranty for my client and was assured that when the transaction closed and SHW was paid through escrow, my money would be refunded. It is a common practice and I had no reason not to believe them. Months went by with no answer to calls and no return emails. I was finally contacted by Frank ** (manager at extension **) and I was told I would receive my refund in 7-10 days. He also said there had been significant flooding in their office and that is why I wasn't called back or refunded. He assured me they were up and running again and working in full force as a company.

Sadly, this is not true. They are back to not answering their calls (I think they are paying someone to hang up on customers) and mailboxes are full. Emails are not being responded to. I filed a complaint with the Philadelphia Attorney General's office. They could not resolve with SHW either and suggested filing a complaint with a magisterial district judge. I wish they would just do the right thing and give me back what was stolen from me to save me the time and energy of court.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I had bought a 1 year home warranty as many mentioned below where they provided 3 month extra coverage. Within 1 year warranty period itself I had a problem and I have tried calling them several times. They don't even pick the call. It goes to a automated answer machine and after selecting option it rings for few times and gets disconnected. I tried calling them on several different days no use, same problem. Then I looked online to see many others experiencing the same. Normally I don't spend time on providing negative review but here I felt it's necessary so others doesn't get cheated. Someone below mentioned about putting a case against them, if that is possible I would like to join and do whatever is needed. Such a fraud, never expected that. Wonder how they have 4+ rating on internet. Please stay away from this fraudulent company.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I put in a claim August 4, 2017 for AC and a month later when they finally got a technician out, he stated I needed a new compressor, I have called many times and nothing has been done to resolve the claim. I have a claim for a stove top and Secure Home Warranty could not find a technician, so they suggested I get one and they will reimburse, I have not received a reimbursement. I confirmed with Secure Home Warranty, that I did not want to renew my policy and they deducted $550.00 out of my account and stated they would refund, they have not refunded my account and now they don't answer the telephone! Now Secure Home Warranty needs to complete the repair of the ac, reimburse me for the repair on the stove top $405.11 and refund me for the $550.00 they deducted for a new contract.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I purchased a home warranty for my new home August 8, 2016. The first time I used the policy was August of 2017 when my AC went out. I contacted the claim department - they suggested that I get the repairs completed myself (they had to approve the proposal) because the hotter states like Florida, it takes longer to get a service company to my home - so the rep suggested I located a company. I did that - I contacted Secure Home Warranty back with the $350 quote and they approved the reimbursement minus the service charge as well as proof that the AC unit has been serviced for the past 3 years. Luckily the person I purchased the home from had all the records. Secure Home Warranty approved the reimbursement on 8/14/2017 - sent me an email which stated reimbursement will occur within 30 days. As of Oct 12, I still have not received a reimbursement. When you call the 800#, the phone rings a couple times then disconnects.

I have sent several emails to the claims department - no response. I was able to get in contact with someone in September and he stated the accounting department cuts checks on Fridays and I will receive a payment Sept 25th. Still no check. I contacted my credit card company, Discover, and disputed the entire charge for the warranty from 8/8/16 because they did not provide the service they promised in the agreement. Discover will now handle the claim. They will contact Secure Home Warranty. If they do not respond in a timely manner - they will receive a chargeback - but the rep at Discover stated either way I will receive my reimbursement.

So they have credited the entire amount of the warranty back to my card while they investigate. Then a rep had the audacity to email me about renewing the contract, I explained the situation in regards to the claim and I never heard back from him. He will not respond to my emails. SO PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. But if you put the home warranty on your credit card I would suggest you dispute the charge and let the credit card company deal with it. I will not be purchasing any more home warranties. Terrible experience but I am happy DISCOVER is taking care of it for me.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

In my opinion this company is a fraud. I have submitted several claims since last November 2016 and some have been approved and others are pending but to this day, October 2017, I have not received any payments. I speak to their representatives on the phone and they tell me that they don't know and to leave messages, emails to their accounting department and I get no responses. However, since I didn't review my policy, they are asking me to renew it again so they can evaluate the existing claims. Incredible. Irresponsible company!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I purchased my warranty last October. In June I made a claim that was approved. I was told it would be 30 days before payment. As of 10/2/17 I have not received payment and get nothing but lies, hung up on and the runaround with them. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy. Best thing that could happen would be they get shut down!!! If I could give them negative stars I would... -5 stars on everything!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I had this insurance for one year and I'm very dissatisfied with service. Whenever I called for claim they say, "You would be getting a call from tech within 24 hours" but 2 days spent no call. I called again they say, "You can get it done by any company and we will reimburse you the money whatever they cover in insurance." This happened several times as I had 3 properties insured with them. I paid thousands of dollars from my pocket as every time their technician came they say they don't cover and went with their fee. Kept calling so many times a day but no rush from their side to finish the claim. I referred to my employees after I bought and their experience is same and waiting for 1 year contract to be finished. I would be giving less than 1 star if I could.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Despite the reviews, I decided to give them a chance for the year. I had about the same results as I should have expected. Constant runaround. Never returns calls or picks up. You almost need to make keeping up with your claims a full time job. They are very good at being elusive. I spent almost $500 on my plan and still shelled out hundreds of dollars throughout the year. My fondest memory of them will be when their computers crashed for two weeks and they couldn't process any requests for over a month. It seems like they need to be a regional level company vice national.

I do not recommend them to anyone. They take so long to respond to claims and assist that it is impractical to wait. I have a property manager as well and they were fed up with dealing with them. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Anywhere but here. I can't imagine how they have 4 stars. If you have the time and energy to pursue them day in and day out, by all means. If you are a landlord or property manager, be ready to hire and pay out of pocket and then pointlessly file for reimbursement through them later.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I paid $400 for a year of home warranty from "Secure Home Warranty". I finally call them because my central a/c unit conked out. They have been giving such a runaround and no service. They surely took my money though. The temperatures here in Arizona are still in the triple digits in my area so I'm really in a bind. I'm a sick, disabled woman and I need my a/c unit running. even my poor dog is suffering badly in this heat. I keep calling and calling and after numerous calls and being on hold for 20 or 30 minutes, I get nothing from these crooks. This is so unfair. Either I get my a/c fixed or I want my money back!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Do not... I repeat do not do business with Secure Home Warranty unless you want to experience a great deal of frustration and what can only be described as the worst customer service ever!! I purchased a five year contract for $2500.00 when we first purchased our home last year. I did this for peace of mind when it came to home appliance repairs. When our $2800.00 refrigerator gave out they offered us only $300.00 and would not even consider replacing it even though the repairman that they sent out told them that they should replace it. When they refused to replace our refrigerator I immediately contacted them and demanded a refund on the final four years of my contract. It has now been more than four months since I first asked for a refund and I cannot begin to tell you all of the... that this company has put me through including countless hours on hold waiting for someone to respond and so many emails that I have lost count.

On two occasions I have received two calls from Secure Home Warranty, one from Angie and one from Scott, when I spoke with Angie I was informed that a check was going to be going out on the following Friday which did not occur. When Scott called me on a Friday he told me that he was going to personally process my refund on Monday and that he would email me with check information. He never did call me. When I spoke with Scott he asked me what I was going to do about the complaints that I filed with the BBB and the State Insurance Commissioner? I told him when I received my refund and the check cleared the bank I would withdraw my complaints. To which he stated, "OH". Since that time I have called Secure Home Warranty every day and continue to email five different individuals at Secure Home Warranty each and every day with no response. As of yet I am still waiting very impatiently for my refund of almost $2000,00.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

If it were possible to give 0 stars, I would have. This company is by far the worst company I've ever dealt with when it comes to customer service. This claim, specific claim is from December 2016. In February 2017, I sent a form to sign and return, which I did on April 5, 2017. On the form, it said the check would arrive within 30 days. I have been calling this company since June 2017 about my check. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to, how many times I was told someone would call me back to discuss, how many email addresses I've been given to inquire about this and how many times I've been told that the check will be mailed out on Friday. No one has ever called me back, none of my emails have ever been returned and none of the voicemail message I have left have ever been responded to.

I just spoke to a "supervisor" telling me that he will call me back on Friday at 1:00 p.m. eastern time to give me the number on the check that will be mailed out that day along with a picture of said check. Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath. This is by far the worst customer service I have EVER dealt with. And that's saying a lot because there is some really crappy customer service out there these days. I promise this company is the worst. Save your money, save your time, and save your sanity. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY! You're welcome for this public service announcement.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I placed a service call for AC repair in July 2017 and was informed I would be contacted by a repair company within 48 hours (2 business days). 3 days later I still had not been assigned a repair company so I called Secure Home Warranty again to follow up. I was informed that they were behind but assured that I would be assigned a company within 24 hours. Well, 48 hours later I again called and got the run around and apologies... "We're sorry, we don't know what happened." I then asked for a full refund for breach of contract and I was unhappy with their service. Well, again after hard work on my part and getting the run around (again, multiple emails, phone calls, phone messages) I was told I would be getting a prorated refund minus a 75 dollar cancellation fee within 30 days. It's been almost 45 days and still no check. This company is so poorly run I will never use them and tell everyone to stay away!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Last year when I had a plumbing issue and contacted SHW customer service took my call and days later no claim number. Had to get me sales rep involved and he processed the claim and the plumbing problems was resolved. Friday August 18, after hours of course, I started having issues with my AC. I left a message with all my contact details in HOPING someone from SHW would call me back on Monday. Crickets, nothing! Tuesday morning rolled around so I left a message for me sales rep. Again, crickets, nothing! Here it is Wednesday morning at 8:10 am CST, 9:10 EST, so I call for a THIRD time. And of course I get the recorded message... So I left a THIRD message with all my contact details.

Word to the wise save your money and DO NOT do business with this company!!! They are good at taking your money and then when you need to use your warranty NO ONE is around to help you!! I WILL NOT be giving them my business when this warranty expires. The sad part is, I did my homework and researched this company before I gave them my business based on their customer service reviews. Needless to say, I didn't experience this grief and aggravation when I was doing business with Home Security of America!

Secure Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

Secure Home Warranty offers homeowners a variety of warranty programs to help provide assistance and peace of mind in case of unexpected home issues. This company also works with rental property owners and those individuals in the stages of buying and selling.

• Diverse warranty plans: Warranty buyers can take advantage of different warranty plans so they aren't paying too much or are under-protected.

• Extensive coverage: Anything from appliances to mechanical systems are eligible for coverage.

• 30-day guarantee: Secure Home Warranty offers a 30-day money back guarantee that allows buyers to test the product without any risk.

• Nationwide network: With a nationwide network of trusted professionals, owners never have to wait long for help to be on the way.

• 24-hour assistance: Secure Home Warranty is available to assist its customers any time of day or night.

• Service professional support: This company provides Realtors and contractors the opportunity to position themselves as authorities by recommending Secure Home Warranty as a convenient and trusted home owner resource.

• Best for: homeowners, home sellers, owners of multiple properties and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
    Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Secure Home Warranty Company Information