Sears Appliance - Ovens and Ranges
1.38/5
Based on 140 reviews that contain star ratings

Sears Ovens and Ranges

304 Sears Appliance - Ovens and Ranges Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

In September 2017 we purchased a Kenmore glass cooktop. We never had used one before and were concerned about the safety and durability of glass cooktop. Salesman (Sears Representative told me that there had been no problems and urged me to buy 3 extra years of warranty for a total of 4 year warranty.) September 2018 while we were preparing a meal we heard a explosion and turned to find the cooktop broken. We turned it off and disconnected it.

I called Sears At-Home repair and they dispatched a technician in a couple of days. As he was walking in, he said, "You probably use pan that are too heavy for cooktop and so it was your fault it broken and it is not covered." I showed him the teflon pans that is light and we use. And he said "Well, probably the pans are heating unevenly that causes glass breakage." And with that he was gone.

I called and asked for another technician to be dispatched. He arrived and said the previous technician was a senior technician and knows what he is talking about. He promised to escalate after I told him we had paid $1,000 and 4 years of warranty and we were not going to buyer another one to replace every year. He said he would escalate and they would be in touch.

A week later I had not heard a thing, so I called the 800 number and the customer service rep told me that they were not going to replace it because warranty does not cover "COSMETIC DAMAGE." Can you believe? I told her a scratch was "cosmetic", not when it explodes and breaks the glass cooktop. So Please folks, there is a reason why SEARS has gone done the tubes. LYING SALESPEOPLE, LYING TECHINICIANS AND LYING CUSTOMER REPS. I could have bought a cheaper one at Best Buy or Conn's, but the sales technician sold me on their service and warranties. BIG MISTAKE. I WILL SEEK LEGAL ADVICE, FOR CERTAIN. WHAT A PAIN TO GO THROUGH.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We purchased Kenmore downdraft range and purchased maintenance for three years. Now we are into 2nd year, one of the stoves was not working so we called maintenance. They do not want to repair because they say there might have been roaches. Maintenance said they will not honor the contract, even though it is not said in the contract. Not sure who to turn to. We still have one more year left but cannot get help from anyone to get it fixed. We were given warranty case number **.

Get expert buying tips about Ranges, Ovens, and Stoves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

My wall oven was not working, Sears tech came out 7/25/18 and notified me that parts are no longer available on this unit but if they can't find any parts that since I have the home warranty that they would file a claim and I would be reimbursed for the oven through Sears. Due date was 8/1 for them to fix my oven or file a claim for reimbursement. No one called no one came and I called. They said they escalated it and would get back to me. I kept calling and every time they could not find my service ticket and then after searching for 30 minutes at a time would find it. Well it's 8/15 and till now no one called, no one came. I never had this kind of service before and I can't believe a company as Sears would have such bad customer service. Someone please help me. CROSS COUNTRY HOME SERVICE THEY STINK. THIRD PARTY FOR SEARS HOME WARRANTY.

Original review: July 26, 2018

In July of 2017 we bought a range at our local Sears store, a high-end Kenmore on sale for $1,000. It took THREE deliveries to receive a range that was not defective/damaged in manufacture. The third stove was acceptable, but after we got used to it, we found that it was not of satisfactory quality or operation. The local store manager would not talk to me. The appliance manager said that since we didn't buy the $600 "extended warranty" we had no recourse. Among our complaints: 1) It takes nearly 15 minutes for the oven to reach temperature. 2) The surface burners seem to operate inconsistently, if not erratically. 3) The glass surface scratches very easily. 4) The surface is extremely difficult to clean. 5) The pot drawer is hard to open and close because the cabinet material is so flimsy.

When the store wouldn't talk to me, I wrote the president of Sears Holding Co. with this complaint, and he referred it to another department, who sent a field tech to look at the stove. Tech said this was the way these ranges are now, and I should tell the store manager I was not satisfied. Sears no longer responds to my emails, and the local store won't talk to me either. Their position is that I had THIRTY DAYS in which to complain, so it's my stove and my problem. Sears clearly no longer cares about customer satisfaction. I do not recommend buying any major appliance from them.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Sears was contacted in April for service (KitchenAid Range-Oven), the technician incorrectly diagnosed the problem. Waited several weeks, new technicians came out and ordered parts. The parts came I set another appointment. Sears cancelled it, saying I didn’t have the parts. I held the parts in my hand and read off the parts numbers. Set an appointment. They canceled again — same scenario. Made another appointment - now we are in July. Company said they would show that. 7/17/18. Called one hour before and said they weren’t showing up.

I reached a manager who promised me she would personally get involved and call me back. No callback. Appointment set for 8/3. Now Sears calls and says it’s rescheduled to 8/7. They dictate to me, no one asks if the date will even work for us. I’ve never, ever, been treated so poorly by any company. I’m wondering why Sears is going broke. I was forced into using them because I have a very expensive range and few can fix it. So far, Sears can’t either. Would never recommend — very incompetent and highly inept.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: June 8, 2018

I purchased the stove from Sears April 11th. It was delivered on May 2nd and have the stove was damaged and was installed bad where I couldn’t even open the oven door. Sears refused to exchange the stove and have been giving me so much problems to return it. I have been dealing with this issue since May 2nd since it was delivered and I have not had use of a stove.

At this point I am beyond frustrated and every conversation have with a representative is meeting no real solution. They refuse to send me anything saying the item is being returned though I have asked over 10 times. They send text messages stating I have a delivery when they are scheduled to come pick up the stove. However, they have had four failed attempts at picked up the stove because the people they send cannot disconnect the stove. They know the stove is connected and it's even notated on my account, they still keep sending people that can’t pick up the stove.

Saturday was the last communication. They sent a company to pick up the stove around 8:30am Saturday; and the same thing happen. I was told that they could not take the stove because it was connected. So now I am the one responsible for getting the stove disconnected before they can pick it up. They Picked up the stove 6/7 finally but now I have to wait an additional 5-7 days to get my money returned to me still without a stove until then. By far the worst experience I have ever had buying anything. I will NEVER buy anything From Sears. They should just close down altogether.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Thirteen months after my oven was installed it stopped working. I felt that I had no option but to buy a warranty. I did not purchase it at the time I purchased the oven because the warranty is $300 per year. When the Sears repair person came they said the oven had not been installed correctly and the wiring had caught on fire. I would need to hire an electrician to rewire the oven and I would be reimbursed by Sears. Well I submitted the invoice to Sears, I was told that the Sears I bought the oven from was not an approved store and they would not cover the cost. I have been on hold for the equivalent of 4 hours trying with no success to get my warranty refunded, but no one answers. I would suggest making sure that the Sears you are shopping at is a real sears store.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I have had this stove 9 years now and I just love the double oven. I mostly use the upper oven since there is just the 2 of us. No issues with the glass top.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Last year, I bought a Kenmore oven range during Sears' President’s Day sale. It started being a problem within a couple of months. The repairman has been out here approximately TEN times, meaning either my husband or I needs to be home "between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm." And since "Stack" now says "It's a feature," it was explained to me that I could not get it replaced. I apparently get to live with this defective range until I can afford to buy another range. Approximately 2 months after we bought it, the display console which controls holds the clock, oven temperature, etc. went blank. I wasn’t cooking at the time; I just walked into the kitchen, and the console was dark. I called Sears Home customer service, and the lady on the other end instructed me to unplug it, wait a minute or two, then replug it. I explained that I am a disabled senior citizen, and that would be difficult for me. She said that was the only way to fix it.

So I got down on my hands and knees, which is not easy for me, emptied out the cabinet full of pots and pans so that I could crawl about halfway into the cabinet to reach the plug, and pull it, wait a minute, and replug it. It did work! Except for the fact that it was now displaying Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. That procedure — the emptying of the cabinet, getting to the back of the cabinet, unplugging the range, putting all of the pots and pans back and getting back up — took about 35 minutes. The next three times the display went out, I repeated the moving of pots and pans, crawling into the cabinet, unplugging, waiting, replugging, putting all the pots and pans back, and getting myself back up. Then I realized that it was still a new range, and that it was definitely a brand new range when the trouble started, and I should not have to go through all of that physical exertion for a new range.

In any event, the next time it happened, I called customer service again and asked for a repairman to fix it. I don’t remember how that conversation went, exactly, whether the agent said Sears would send a repairman or whether I requested one. But he showed up about a week later, checked the display, and said he had to order a (refurbished) replacement. He did that and returned after the part arrived at my house. It worked, and I was relieved that my range would work like it was supposed to. Later, we went through the same routine again. It took two visits to my house each time to get it fixed. But then it broke again! And again. And again. And yet again! And then a few more times.

I believe that the range is defective, and I think any rational human being would believe the same. I believe it is unreasonable for a company to continually "fix" a product, even after they see it's simply not fixable. I also believe that customer service should give correct and consistent answers to questions. I have talked to Sears' customer service people numerous times about getting this range replaced, and I've been given as many totally different answers every time. I've been told that it would be replaced after 4 documented repairs. I've been told that Sears could/would not replace it until after the warranty ran out. I've been told that Sears could/would not replace it if I did't buy an extended warranty.

The last time a repairman came out to the house, on February 9, 2018, he called "Stack," who told him repeatedly - on speaker phone so I heard it - that the light-up console "is a feature," and that they would not replace it. I am highly upset by this "feature" statement. When I bought the range, I assumed it would be in 100% working order, whether the "Stack" man thought the problem to be a "feature" or not! I have owned Kenmore and other Sears products throughout my marriage, and the ONE time I had a problem, the repairman was right here the next day to fix it. Aside from that, I'd never been in need of the help of Sears repairmen. After years of being a Sears customer, I was at first surprised at the shoddy service I was getting, and then I became very angry! I go back and forth between wanting to never buy from Sears again and wanting to tell everyone I know how unbelievably bad this episode has been!

I could go on and on about how unhappy I am with the range, and how much more unhappy I am with the treatment we've been afforded by "customer service," and the apparent policies Sears has about correcting such wrongs. So, it appears that I am just stuck with this range, defective as it is. There is no recourse that I have been able to discover.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I scheduled a repair for my range hood. 2 weeks after (first available appointment) the technician came. He ordered some parts (in stock at the time or so I was told) and scheduled me for the repair in 2 more weeks. When the appointment date came I was told that the parts did not arrive but they will be arriving shortly. Now one month later (2 months from my initial call for repair) the parts are back ordered and they cannot tell me when the parts will be available. I requested a refund for my money and I was told that they will send a request but they will charge me the full amount for the technician visit. So I paid for a technician that cannot perform the repair and for labor and parts that I never received and maybe I can get partially my money back. Worse service ever.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We purchased a Broan Range Hood 403004 from Sears.com. We picked up the item at the store. We had someone else install it for us. It never worked to pull out smoke or odors at all. The fan ran and it sounded like it was working but it didn't work and I never used it. I had an air cleaner stand alone unit on the floor sucking in the smoke and odor. Fast forward months later and I talked to a carpenter who checked the exterior of the house to see if the damper was blocked. It was not. He recommended another guy to do the inside duct work. We had the inside duct work changed. Still the range hood exhaust fan did not pull out any smoke or odor.

I called Broan and explained the situation. I gave the model number. I found out that the model number we had gotten WAS NOT THE MODEL NUMBER WE PAID FOR! So Sears.com (the item is still on there) shows the item is 220 CFM, which we needed for our kitchen. However, the model # I gave Broan is only 160 CFM! It looks exactly the same, but the model number is different! How would we have known this? So -- word of caution to everyone. Now we have to check model numbers and make sure it is actually the product we paid for BEFORE we use it or install it!! I called Sears to see what can be done about this and am waiting for a reply.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I bought a Sears Kenmore 7400 gas and convection stove in 2016. I don't use the oven much mostly the top. A couple of times when I did use it the stove let off a chemical smell that released white smoke too, that burned the eyes. I looked up the stove on the manual and Sears conveniently says this is normal. In Sept of 2017 I bought some steaks and decided to try the broiler. My daughter luckily was home. I just had knee replacement surgery a few days prior. As soon as she turned on the broiler white smoke everywhere. She opened oven door thinking something was in there, flames shot out and luckily she was able to jump back. I told her and my granddaughter, "Get out! Call 911." I hobbled on a walker, pulled plug, poured water into sides until I could grab fire extinguisher. The fire dept got there so quick but it had no electric, no gas coming into the stove... yet it kept reigniting itself. "Unbelievable," said the fire dept.

My whole mobile home filled with smoke. They sprayed their chemicals and then put the stove outside. And now Sears response... Called Sears who stated they would send a repairman. 9 days later, the rudest guy shows up, he looks at the stove outside and says a mouse might have got in there. Are you kidding me, it's been sitting outside across from the woods and you think a mouse might have moved some insulation around. He gets ready to leave, knocks on door, says Sears will be in touch because it's still under warranty. 1 mo later no Sears. I call them. Here is their response, "We have a report that he fixed the stove and all is well."

Geez. So 2 wks later stove still outside. They send another guy, very nice. Says he wants to help, gives me a number to who he said was head of corporate Laurie **. She does call me. Says she will help. My conversation with her was simple. This stove is still under warranty when it caught fire. Honor it, fix it, replace it, I don't care. She call me back and says she needs to consult her management team. What? So much for head honcho. She then call me and refers me to Sears insurance company. A guy named Ken call me says, "We will help you and get this taken care of." Jan 2017 I get a letter from Sedgwick ins. States they only get involved if there's property damage. Going on 5 months still no stove, they knew all this from the beginning.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have all Kenmore products in my home for over 30 yrs. Microwave, oven, Refrigerator, Freezer. Stove, Microwave, washer, dryer & have had nothing but problems with the new oven? When you turn on for cleaning the oven, the bottom of oven gets so hot it melts the oven base, the oven door doesn't close all the way. So I had tech come out to replace it & they called it cosmetic? Cosmetic is the outer side of the oven not inside, so they repair it at all, I can understand why they are are going of Business, they used to be a good company, I would never buy their products again. Their customer service is ridiculous & rude. Good Bye Sears.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

My wife and I equipped our new home with all Sears Kenmore Elite appliance. This was 10 years ago. I do not have any of the appliance that are still working correctly. I have replace Refrigerator, Microwave, Dishwasher. Range hood doesn't work correctly and stove is not working. I called to schedule a service tech to come to my home to see what was wrong with my stove. They walked in the door opened the oven door and said it was the circuit board and they are not longer available for sale. And now I need $89 for the service call. There was not service performed. I will never shop at SEARS again. They have the worst customer service on the planet. I have spent more than 4 hours talking to their so called customer service to get a refund and have had no positive results.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

We purchased an extended warranty on our new glass top stove at the time of sale Jan 2016. In Aug 2017, I remembered we get a yearly checkup with that warranty and called to use it. It took over an hour and several customer service agents to figure out that no one entered the warranty purchase into the system. That done, a service tech came over and checked our burner to see if they light up and our oven. Not the thorough going over I was expecting but hey.

In December I discovered a crack in the glass top and called to have a service tech come to look at it in hopes of getting it replaced. After one hour and three different girls who couldn't find our stove warranty we finally got a fourth person who found it immediately. Made an appointment. Was told the tech would be here between 8 am and 5 pm but that I could call anytime after 9 am to get a more precise time. I called and was told between 2 and 4 pm.

At 4:24 pm I called and one girl told me the technician got sick and wouldn't be coming then told me the next available date would be almost two weeks from now. I asked to speak with a supervisor who basically told me the same thing except that the technician did not get sick??? Then she offered to transfer me to another dept who may be able to shorten the wait time.

I spoke with yet another person who took down the information and asked me to wait on the line while he made a call and would then tell me how soon someone would come. I held on for over another 30 min. Then the call got disconnected. All in all, I've spent over two hours on the phone today, had to cancel a holiday dinner party and am still no closer than a two week wait. Approximately 7 hours total with customer service and waits. This is the worst customer service I've ever come across in my life and I'm 62! Don't buy anything from Sears. I won't be.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

When we received range we went thru months of repairs and lots of parts, some of which were the same parts over and over again... We at one point were down to just two burners on top and by the time they finished their repair we had none, so no cooking. This went on for months since it takes time for the part to come in and then you have to make an appt. to get it put in, ever since we purchased it I have been looking for the right cookware to use on the range, I have tried Calphalon, Cuisinart, all induction but they hump up in the middle so you get a whole lot of burning, I tried Cast Iron and that even humped up in the middle, I just got another set of cookware, Copper Chef and it still humps up in the middle...

The repairman said this is what happens when you have an empty pan, so therefore you are expected to throw all your food in the pan at once, that was Sear's solution for the problem, there is nothing that can be done, even though I have it covered by a maintenance agreement, it has to be broken or they will not do anything for you, this stinks, I would warn everyone not to purchase an induction range, they are not perfected for people to cook on.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

My wife and I purchased a new Kenmore gas range (model: 790-74033313) in June 2017 at the Sears store in Burlington, MA. We elected not to get the Sears “protection plan” contract. I had been a dedicated Sears customer for almost a half century and never had any issues with their Craftsman and Kenmore products, purchasing items such as chainsaws, lawnmowers, power drills, washers, dryers, refrigerators… you name it. But with this latest new purchase, I quickly become totally disappointed with a Sears appliance. Never had any previous issues... since 1969. Until now. And what an issue this has turned out to be. A real nightmare.

We followed the instructions provided with this new Kenmore gas range, but was not able to "burn off" that new oven smell. Despite a half dozen attempts over several weeks, setting the oven to 400 degrees and keeping it on for nearly an hour, a "chemical" odor consistently permeated our home. It was more pronounced on the second level of our townhouse condo. Sears technical support was supposed to visit our condo to look at the oven in August, but the driver called us on his way out and said there was nothing he could do about an oven "odor" and would not bother with the house call. He suggested, over the phone, we use the "Mr. Clean magic eraser" cleaning sponge, dampen it with water and vigorously wipe down the inside of the oven.

Knowing it was past the 30 day period to request a return of the range, and enduring the mounting frustration with the oven’s performance, I attempted to try the so called remedy with the “Mr. Clean magic eraser”. Not exactly a routine task for a 71 year old, but I managed to angle my way into the nooks and crannies of the oven. However, the cleaning turned out to be a waste of time. The oven still gave off that persistent “chemical” odor.

My wife and I were not about to let Sears ignore the problem we were having with this new gas range. We become more resolute and spent countless hours on the phone over the next week trying to schedule another appointment with their technical support team. Not sure where Sears has outsourced their customer service department, but it is now very difficult to understand the dialect of their representatives. And stalling tactics seems to be more of a skill they practice now-a-days rather than dedicated problem resolution. Certainly not like the old reliable Sears who always put the customer first and stood behind their products. I knew that Sears very well once upon a time. Anyway, we were able to schedule another appointment, and this time a technician actually showed up.

Considering all the red tape and administrative loopholes we had to navigate to get this second appointment, the technician's arrival in our home was a minor achievement considering the first house call never happened. Our expectations to finally have some resolution was quickly reduced to hopeless despair when the "aggravated" technician announced he had no resolution to the oven. He did tell us after we interrogated him that he gets calls like this all the time. He explained that Sears laminates the ovens when they are warehoused to protect them from rust. But that coating should "burn off" after setting the oven at 400 and running it for at least 30 minutes he maintained.

We told him we have tried that over half a dozen times. He suggested using the "self -clean" feature, but had no further ideas when we told him we tried that also. He gave us another number to try at Sears to see if we could get a return on the range even though it was beyond 30 days. I did not get anywhere with the telephone number he provided, so went back to see the salesman who sold me the range in mid-June. It was now mid-October. He listened to my plight, said it was too late to take the stove back, but he talked with his supervisor who agreed we could have a new replacement (same model number) if we purchased the Sears 5 year protection plan for $150. Since I was the only customer he knew of who had this "odor" problem with the oven, he and his supervisor were able to approve this "replacement" stating the original range must have had a defective oven.

So, Sears came out and took away the old stove and replaced it with another. They would not however cover the plumbing costs to unhook the gas flex line on the original range and would not cover the plumbing costs for the new gas range hook up. So I paid $350 out of pocket for the privilege. After all that, my wife and I hoped now our new Kenmore replacement range would be a resolution to our previous problem. But, afraid not. We had the same issue with this new replacement range. An oven odor that would not quit despite countless attempts to burn off the chemical odor, identical story, without success. So, I went to the same salesman at the Sears, Burlington, MA store again.

It was now late November. He emphasized with my aggravation, especially when I told him how difficult it was to schedule a service call. I told him I was not about to jump through any more circus hoops trying to get another technical support visit. He offered to call for me and It was no picnic for him either trying to get the service call scheduled. But he did get it done. This second visit by a Sears technician occurred on December 3rd.

This tech spent a good hour at our condo making adjustments on the new stove. But, in the end, even he could smell the odor. He tried to tell us it wasn't the stove... probably an issue with the air quality in our condo. Did we have any new carpeting or painting done recently? We had done nothing in our home to create any possible air quality issues. We have a gas furnace, gas dryer etc... and no issues with odor's when they run. The odor only makes a presence when the Kenmore gas oven is turned on. Of most concern with this Kenmore range oven is what harmful health effects the “chemical” odor is emitting; not only to our home environment, but any food we would be baking in the oven. We want Sears to solve the range issue once and for all.

Sears has been portrayed in a less than shining light in the news over the past few years. However, we wanted to remain faithful to them based on the always dependable previous history enjoyed. We wanted to continue doing business with them and prefer not to see this once great company fail. Guess we learned the hard way though. Sears is not what they used to be. Not even close. This cursed range we bought, (two in a row now; June and then the replacement in October), will be the very last product we ever buy from them.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We bought a new wall oven and the Preheat light won't go out after reaching its limit. We trusted the salesman to use his "buddy" and he said he tested it and showed me the light out on Preheat at 350 degrees. As soon as we tried the next day - bam. No light out. Next we discovered the salesman put us in for wife's new name and shouldn't have been anymore old information on old card for the new account that has new name. Guess what. The address was updated, but NOT the name on the BILL which can screw you. Confusing the name caused us to have to call get new card, AFTER payment made to so called New Account (card not issued yet). So now we have to hope the new card has all the account information and PAYMENT of $500.00 on it. If not we may give this and all other appliances right back to them.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

No wonder this store is closing. Bought a range that was faulty. Ordered a new one in store. Was told they cannot set up the delivery or removal of faulty one. Gave me a number for delivery... It was in the Philippines #! The warehouse is in Harrisburg though. No one would give me that number. Called the Philippines 5 times and could not understand what I was being told. Finally after 45 minutes I was told that someone would call me 24-48 hrs. But wait it gets better, I was told later after they demanded my CC info that someone would call me in 72 hrs. Now I'm wondering if we will ever see our new range or maybe we will be stuck with a faulty one. Is this any way to do business? What a shame, Sears USED to be a great store. Delivery in the Philippines... Give me a break!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Bought an expensive stove with convection oven from Sears and bought the guarantee as well. So far a Sears repair person has been to my house 6 times as the convection oven did not work. I have repeatedly asked them to replace the stove with a new one as I have lost a lot of money on baking ingredients. They have refused even though I bought the high priced guarantee. They have finally agreed that I was correct in that there is something wrong as I made the repair person stay and watch how it baked. Cookies that take 12 minutes to bake took over 40 minutes when the repair person finally left (cookies still not done) and he ordered parts to be installed. First and last time that I will ever order an appliance from Sears. They do not stand behind their products or their guarantees!! Buyer beware!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Called to place order, and foreign man assured us there would be installation of our wall oven we bought. This oven is STILL sitting on our porch and there has been no installation yet, and although the sales department has finally admitted fault it has not sent proper paperwork to installation department. Department heads do not accept responsibility and are not trained to resolve problems like this- they hung up on me when I ask for a manager in sales dept!!! I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM SEARS AGAIN!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I called to purchase heating elements for my oven (Kenmore Range). The gentleman I spoke to asked me to explain the problem. He stated they both go out at the same time and it was a computer piece I needed. He explained why and how easy it was to replace and there was a YouTube video to walk me through it. He was right and I thank him for his help and not letting me purchase items I did not need.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

We bought a new Kenmore range from Sears, it was delivered damaged. Had a second one delivered, it worked for a week then went out. Had a third one delivered, plugged it in and everything flashed. Had an electrician come and check out my plug and breaker box, everything ok. Had Sears come and pick up the third oven and told them I wanted a refund. Oven got picked up by Sears on Aug. 30. I was told it would take ten business days to receive my refund. Ten days have come and gone. I called customer service at Sears to check on my refund and I was told it had not yet been processed and no one could tell me why. Called corporate office got nowhere.

Called customer service back and told they would have to reprocess my refund and it would take another 10 working days. So they have both the range and my money. I will have to keep fighting them to get my money but believe me I'm going to get it and then I will never again do business with Sears. If anyone else has had this problem I would like to hear about it and how it turned out for you. Also I would recommend that if you are considering purchasing an appliance from Sears to give it some hard consideration.

Original review: July 19, 2017

My parents purchased a KitchenAid stove from Sears. Come to find out just days later, the bottom drawer of the stove was damaged (big dent). A call was made to an 800 number & a technician was suppose to come and inspect the damages, but never showed up; hence, the wait was about a week and a half. We called back & explained the situation, and with no care in the world, they gave us the runaround & kept transferring us to different operators, & did not resolve anything. We then continued to call corporate, which a very rude female employee kept interrupting me & would not let me finish explaining. It was also a dead end. She said there's a 72hr. time limit on which to report any damaged goods. Told her that a call was made within that time limit, just for her to tell me that there was nothing documented, because we called the "wrong 800" number, so therefore there was nothing they can do for us.

No sympathy, no remorse, no nothing. Not even an apology. Let me say that the appliance was about $2,200!! I am considering into obtaining an attorney, due to Sears delivering damaged goods. Word of advice, do not purchase anything from Sears. They are very rude, unprofessional, & do not care whatsoever of us, consumers. This is not our first horrible experience with them. We will be closing several accounts that we have with them. I am informing family, friends & many other people to not purchase anything from them, & to steer very clear from them, due to their shady ways of handling customers' situations.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Was out shopping for a new range. I actually found an employee that was more than willing and helpful in the store. This is very unusual these days. The store in Elgin and the employee's name was Francine. She is a keeper!!! Because of her helping me I ended up purchasing a range and dishwasher.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Actually placed a claim, with Sears Home Warranty at the beginning of June, of a malfunction of the self-cleaning feature on my oven. Repairs were scheduled for June 30th. Need to mention that the oven was perfectly functional and would just not self-cleaning. Obviously, it could be manually cleaned. Further, cooking using the oven was not at all an issue. On repair day, the repairman managed to rip off the door of my oven, thus rendering it nonfunctional, just a few days before the July 4th, cooking holiday. Just cannot cook with an oven that has got no door. Further, the repairman stated that new repairs would only take place on July 14th, in addition, the replacement door would not match in color or type. I am the home owner and the renter called me in despair from work. She had been informed by her husband at home, present at repair.

Contacted the repairman by phone at the home. He mostly tried to remove all culpability from himself. Explained to him that I was interested in determining whether this oven could be declared unrepairable. (In my own mind, his brand of repair was truly the bastardization of my appliance.) He refused. Spent half a day calling Sears to explain the predicament in which I found myself. My calls got rerouted, transferred numerous times, to eventually end at a survey questionnaire, whether I wanted to be surveyed or not initially per my answer to this very question. The transfer of last resort it seems is the survey questionnaire! Started collecting agent numbers. Requested to speak to a manager to no avail. It was stated that this person was on another call.

Requested annotations of my account to explain my situation. Asked again if my equipment could be declared unrepairable, was told that only the repairman can so declare. I has hit a vicious loop. In desperation, ended up placing an order for a replacement oven late in the afternoon not to miss the delivery date of July 3rd, using my own money. Called Sears Home Warranty again to request where to complain for damages. Was provided the number of a third party organization, Sedgwick Claims Management, Inc. Placed a damage claim with this company. Provided all my information, but in the end, my claim was denied. The reason, repairs were scheduled and underway.

No authorized users on my account placed a claim for fixing a ripped door or scheduled an appointment with Sears Home Warranty. On my Sears account only two authorized users exist, the lady of the rented house and myself, the owner. The lady was at work and calling me on what to do about the situation. I for one was requested an unrepairable status for the oven and never accepted any less. In essence, a Sears repairman can actively place a claim for the enrollee, schedule his own repair visit without consultation for damages that he himself caused and the enrollee is left with the only option to follow suit with his motions.

This baffles me. I have come to realize that an insane Sears repairman could use a sledge hammer to destroy all that he wants at my house, place his own repair claims and schedule on his own his repairs. I would then only be left with applauding and waiting patiently for his damages to be indeed repaired no matter how much more delay ensues. It is my pleasure to provide below 2 pictures of the old range/stove, with the door ripped, a status imposed by the so-called repairman. (He left us with more damages than he found. He also seemed to have no good solution for a repair.) 1 picture of the new stove.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Worse than Bad. I was actually quite excited about this at first and even upgraded from the appliance warranty to the whole house protection plan. My oven (7 years old Jenn-Aire) had quit working and I thought this would be a good long term solution for all of our appliances. Appointments are at least 2 weeks out and maybe further. The first guy came over and was nice enough, identified the problem and ordered the part. That took a couple of weeks and another guy came, installed - but set it up incorrectly so the oven would get warm - but not cook correctly. Called another 2 weeks for the next available appointment and a new guy came out - said the first guy had set up the keypad for Celsius versus Fahrenheit - and he couldn't switch it back. So we had to order the part again. I had to supply the oven manual and the guy made wouldn't call for Helpdesk support.

Another 2 1/2 weeks for the part and next appointment. Guy came yesterday. Installed the new part. It got hot and he left. We tried to cook pizza last night and it took 50 minutes to cook about 2/3rds of the way done. Tried again this morning - it doesn't cook and maintain temps correctly. So I'm going to call someone local and cancelling my Sears Plan. I called today and they put me on hold for 25 minutes. Then informed me today they were going to bill me for the $500 deductible plus whatever else they can come up with - probably another +$600 over the parts that I've already paid for and the monthly membership fees. AND MY OVEN STILL DOESN'T WORK.

So I'm going to be out around $1000 and no oven. I'm calling someone local. Sounds crazy but they simply can't do the work and are apparently grossly understaffed in my area. They can clean dust from under your fridge, replace seals on your dishwasher door, balance your washer but anything technical, I'd look somewhere else. We've gone through most of the summer without an oven. Very Disappointing and expensive.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I ordered a stainless steel gas range online through Sears chat system. I have a copy of my chat stating this - "I need a gas range delivered, installed & jetted for propane. Plus I need the old range hauled away." Here is the response I received - Per Alex - Here is the Order Summary - Merchandise subtotal - $477.98 / DELIVERY & INSTALLATION FREE/Haul away service $25 - including tax $530.64. I agreed to this & paid. This gas range was being delivered to my home in Wisconsin where I have tenants there. I gave the representative the address & zip code in New Richmond Wisconsin. On the day of delivery the new range was left in the dining room and not installed because the old range was not disconnected. I hired somebody to come & disconnect, then attempted to reschedule. This was a nightmare & turns out Sears will not install for free, in fact they don't install in my zip code at all. They will not stand by their employees quote.

I had to pay somebody else to install the range. The parts Sears ordered to do the propane conversion which I paid for were wrong (evidently it was for a dryer). It turned out the range came with one, but it was the wrong one. The installer I hired had to research & figure out the correct part needed for the conversion. He ordered & paid for new parts, I paid the technician to go out again & the range still doesn't work. The oven didn't work & one of the burners doesn't light. I have made many phone calls to Sears in an attempt to resolve this. They take no responsibility for the additional cost that their employee created. I'm currently in contact with a corporate manager who will not refund any of my money and am currently waiting for a repairman to come out & fix the current issues.

Original review: June 16, 2017

We purchased a Kenmore induction cook-top five years ago. It recently stopped working, so I called the Roanoke Virginia Sears for a repairman to look at it. They scheduled the appointment two weeks out. They will not give a time frame for when the repairman will show up and will only say "be at home between 8 and 5". The repairman did show up that day, said he could not fix the cooktop that day and needed to order a part that costs $1,100. But wait! The good news is that we could sign up for the "WONDERFUL" Sears Home Warranty service, and we would get half off the cost of the part, and the charge for the part and the annual fee for this "FABULOUS" home warranty service will be... Almost exactly $1,100. What a coincidence!

So we signed up and scheduled the repair for today. Again, he wouldn't give me a time frame and said I needed to be here between 8 AM to 5 PM. We received a reminder phone call yesterday to please be at home b/w 8 AM and 5 PM, so I took the day off from work. Guess what? We received a call after 10:30 AM to say that they will have to reschedule (no explanation and no real apology). So far, this "WONDERFUL" and "FABULOUS" home warranty service isn't working out so well for us! Seems to be working great for Sears though. They have our money and don't seem to be too interested in repairing our cooktop. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS SERVICE! Buy another brand of home appliances!

Original review: May 9, 2017

We bought an electric Kenmore Elite Wall Oven in November 2015. It is now 1 1/2 years old. I purchased the extended three-year warranty. We have had problems with performance - Convection mode burning food or cooking unevenly, taking a long time to heat up, conventional mode not working at all, food doesn't cook or takes three times as long to reach temperature. We've lived with it because I don't use the oven too often and if it's important I use the old reliable clunker in the basement that works perfectly! But now the Self Clean Cycle on my new wall oven is turning on by itself!!!

I have never used the Clean function because I read that it burns out the control board. The oven is mounted in a kitchen island in the middle of the room and I did not want to harm the granite or the surrounding island. Yesterday I heard a beep and saw that the Clean Cycle was on. I thought that maybe someone had brushed against the control panel. It is easily activated. Even the brush of someone's shirt can turn it on. I shut it off and was curious, but not worried. Today there was no one at home but me and I was in the other room when I heard the oven beep again. Sure enough, the Clean Cycle had started. I called Sears Repair and that is when the fun started.

After talking to 4 (Count-em - 4) different people, companies and departments, I finally got to someone who agreed that I had indeed purchased the extended warranty. She then proceeded to try to convince me that I had somehow programmed the oven to delay start. Uh, no way. Both times there was no indication that delay start was activated. She admitted that if I had preprogrammed it (Which I did not), there would be a light indicating it. Apparently I am not even capable of seeing a light because she kept insisting that the only way the Clean Cycle would turn on is if I did it! Here's the great part though. When we were talking, the oven beeped and did it again!!! Again she asked if the Delay Start light was on. I was so angry at this point I almost put the phone in the oven. Anyway, she told me to unplug the oven. When I told her it was a WALL oven and I could not pull it out, she told me to shut off the circuit breaker.

Now I have to wait five days for service. One of my first calls was to regular service and they could come out in two days if I paid $89. Since I paid $200 for the extra warranty, I have to wait longer. I have been a loyal Sears customer forever. Never again. I have had problems with multiple appliances over the past few years. Where do you go to get something reliable that doesn't break or burn?

Sears Appliance - Ovens and Ranges Company Information