4.3/5 (205 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I had a very good experience with the Safe Step representative but I didn't like the way my tub was put in by the installers. I was told it would be level with my tile. After they got it in, they said I'd have to call a plumber in if I wanted it lower. Still, I would recommend them.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: July 26, 2015

The sales person came here, began talking to my infirm elderly father, began schmoozing him with high pressured sales tactics. I began getting really angry. Finally went upstairs, began cursing and when I left he suggested to my father he call the council on aging about Elderly Abuse.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Holly, Thank you for bring this to our attention and we will immediately research your comments. This is not indicative or representative of the caring and giving company that was built on industry-leading customer service and respect. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused your family.

No response received
    Original review: July 22, 2015

We, my wife and I purchased the product back in mid-April and it was installed the first week of May. We had some concerns after the contract was written and at the time of installation. During the time of the prep and install, the contractor team that they used removed the door frame between our bedroom and bathroom to get the tub and parts through. After the install of the tub and the re-assemble of the door frame they only put it back together partially leaving it in poor condition, no caulking on the inside areas. As well around the areas of the tub they left gaps and holes that should have been caulked. We took photos contacted the company, e-mailed the photos to the team's boss or supervisor and still have not heard from Safe Step concerning resolving this matter.

The product is fine. There are some things that could be done differently such as the design of the door as well as where the shower head is located. Also, we were quite disturbed at the fact that after the interest they then tell you about the need for a special high capacity water heater or an alternative. Would we recommend it? Perhaps yes since it can offer a better experience for aging persons and persons with disabilities but pricing is a bit excessive and should be negotiated. Overall it's a good product that offers a great benefit but they need to do better to inform customers about the requirements as well as the construction requirements and provide corrective solutions when their construction teams create problems.

Original review: July 22, 2015

On January 28, 2015 my wife and I contracted with Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co to have a Safe Step Walk-In Tub installed for a total of $14,236.00. It was recommended in writing that we have a 50-gallon water heater installed. We purchased and installed a Brasscraft Electric Hybrid Water Heater that cost an additional $1,294.32. We contacted the company once with the complaint that the water was running off one end of the tub onto the floor and we could only get enough warm water to come 3 quarters of the way to the seat.

They came and installed a splash guard on the end of the tub and it was recommended that we set the water heater to the "high usage" setting. This still does not work and we can only fill the tub (while in it) up to the seat which makes the jets and other features of the tub useless. We basically ended up with a very expensive, very small walk in shower. This tub does not even come close to meeting our needs and was misrepresented by the salesperson Bruce **. We have discovered that there are many other consumers with the same complaint. It seems that the Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co is preying on the elderly and disabled.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: July 20, 2015

After reading the bad reviews - sorry you're not getting this money! How horrible to treat people like a scam artist. Glad I read before I buy one.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: July 8, 2015

This review is in regards to the Austin, TX location. Had our tub installed May 14. We didn't use it for several weeks and when we did, it leaked from the motor area. When the service tech, Mike arrived he determined he needed to order a part which affected the air function. Mike came back on June 16 to replace the part. Used the tub on June 19 and the air function didn't work. 6/19 - called after business hours and left a message. NO RETURN CALL. 6/22 or 23 - called and front desk transferred me to an extension (Christine?) on which I ended up having to leave a message. NO RETURN CALL. 6/25 called and front desk - transferred me to Amelia(?). 6/30(?) - Mike (service tech) returned my call to say he might make it that week but more likely next week. 7/08 - Now down to two stars!!! I'm about to call the service department once again since I have NOT RECEIVED A CALL to schedule an appointment.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 4, 2015

Telephoned to repair or replace door lock handle on May 27 2015. At that time I was told to wait 24 to 48 hours for the tech to respond, no response. Telephoned again JUNE 4 2015, told to wait another day for response. Bought AMERICAN MADE FOR BETTER SERVICE??????? Not even a courtesy call from tech.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: April 14, 2015

I bought the tub from Safe Step but the salesperson did not tell me I needed a 60-gallon water heater. There is a paragraph stating they recommend this and there is a spot to be initialed by the customer showing the customer understand this. The salesperson did not ask me to initial this line and he wrote in "Supply". When I complained about the tub and wanted to get my money back, they said it was used and wouldn't do anything about it. I feel deceived and cannot afford a bigger water heater and I feel I should have been told about this. They said that if Safe Step had installed the tub themselves, then I would have had to initial that paragraph, but they had given me the number of a person who installs their tubs who works independently and I contacted him to install it.

Now, conveniently for them they say that legally they didn't have to get my initials since this person they recommended installed it. This is outrageous. This company should have made it clear I would need a 60-gallon water heater. I am 83 years old and have wasted so much money on this tub that I can't even use. I hope anyone interested in a walk-in tub goes anywhere to buy one except this con artist company!

Original review: April 6, 2015

The salesman was the most long-winded person we've ever come across, but he wanted to make sure we understood exactly what we were getting for our money. The tub we chose was 51"x31" and our 40 gallon water heater is fine. The installation crew (4) were very professional and had obviously installed hundreds of these tubs. The tub is totally commercial grade and is assembled with Aircraft-grade aluminum, and Delta plumbing components. In doing my research I found that many of the top tubs were rated that way because of price and that lower price was due to Chinese construction and limited warranties. Ours is made in America, and guaranteed for life. Few tubs can match just these two factors!

Original review: March 20, 2015

Updated on 4/15/2019: Safe Step Tubs company NEVER corrected any of the problems, I have lost over 100lb’s and still can not get past the door without hurting my legs, the wall seams are jagged and crooked, received 1 phone call to send someone out and all they did was make promises to fix the error but no one ever came back out to fix anything. We’re Senior citizens and feel we have been ripped off by this company, others BEWARE of this company. How can people be so greedy these days..... I see others have had problems and a reply that is just repeated over and over. We’re so unhappy and afraid to ever buy anything again this expensive, very over priced!

Original Review: I cannot get anyone to answer my registered letter due to them making the Deluxe size tub that I wanted 31 x 51" & instead the salesman dimensions choice 28" x 51", he said that the larger size is not necessary & made it 28"x51" & that makes the seat to close to the door for a 280lb person and the salesman even took my body measurements and I can not get between the seat & door to close it. I wanted the bigger tub but the salesman said to trust him I'll fit, if their is any problems just call, I called and been told he died and now no one is helping to solve their error! Contractor also damaged our main wall and I had to pay half for another panel to hide the damage and that it also was not done correctly.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: March 13, 2015

In December 2014 we purchased a Safe Step tub at which time the salesman, Mr. ** informed us that we would need a 50 gal. hot water heater (we had a 40 gal. at that time ). Once the tub was installed I went to home depot and purchased a 50 gal. water heater, had it delivered and installed. After several hours, to insure the water was at the correct temp., I decided to try out the tub. To my utter amazement, I ran out of hot water prior to the tub reaching an operational level. Therefore I could not use the tub unless I wanted to sit and wait for the water to re-heat. Shortly after that incident, I called the service dept. and explained the situation and what the salesman had told me.

After a lengthy discussion and the manager (in so many words calling me a liar), I told him to send a technician to my house and verify what I was saying was true. After a few weeks a technician arrived and checked the tub and verified what I said was true. I showed him my contract where the salesman had written that I required a 50 gal. water heater and he said 'I see that a lot'. Now, I am told that I need an 80 gal. water heater in order for the tub to function correctly. I am not happy with the company nor their lying staff. I sent a letter to the CEO and the letter was returned to me!!!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: March 12, 2015

I have had the safe step walk in tub for almost a year. My wife loves the tub but I have several concerns. Tub has six water jets located high on the back seat of the tub. The tub must be completely full to utilize these jets otherwise the water sprays out and on to the floor. Even then the water is so full with the jets on it bubbles over the top. My wife has slipped several times when getting out of the tub. They need to redesign the locations of the jets or eliminate the top two jets. In addition the tub has a heated seat, if you don't turn the heat off before the water drains below the seat you can get a light burn. With the cost of the tub and the claims the manufacture makes this tub should be perfect. My neighbor purchase a similar tub different manufacture and the tub appears to be as good at about $3000 less. So future buyers beware.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

Claims to be a local company but they are not. You call and the number gets rerouted to Burnsville, MN. Lady told me that they have a office here and gave me address and the building is closed.... Spoke with the neighbor and they never was there........ Need a some honesty from a company.. lie about this. What else will they lie about?

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Feb. 11, 2015

The salesman came to our home and stated that we would require a 40 gallon hot water tank. He then removed the panel to view our tank and found that we have a 40 gallon tank. We purchased the Safe Step Tub. After some delivery issues we tried to cancel the purchase before the tub was installed. Safe Step told us they would SUE for 1/3 of the purchase and installation cost.??? They installed the tub. Looks great BUT we can't use it. 40 Gallons of hot water doesn't fill the tub or allow you to use the jets. The tub needs 60 gallons. I just called Safe Step customer service and was told the tub "requires a minimum 50 gallon tank but that might not be. Please call service." I have several times, no one, ever answers.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information