Get Started

4.3/5 (342 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2015

The Safe Step tub is a good piece of equipment. The installation went very well and it's working good for my wife who has dementia. I even use it. I recommend it highly.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2015

I’m in love with my Safe Step tub. I’ve had some nice experiences, but I had to learn some things when using the tub. One of the things that frustrated me a little bit was I like to put my arms out and relax, and every time I do that, the buttons for the bubbles either turns on or off. So I have to not put my arms up anymore and I keep forgetting to do that. But as far as comfort, it’s very nice and very easy to get in and out of the tub.

Another thing that I had to remember is to make sure to lock the door. I have diabetes and sometimes my feet are cold and I can’t get them warmed up. One night I had gotten out of bed, went into the tub and put a small amount of water in the tub - just enough to cover my feet to get them warmed up. I had the door closed but I didn’t have it completely locked. And because of getting up in the night, I had water all over the floor.

Moreover, the sales reps that we talked to didn't take long to get their point across, and my husband was pleased because they gave us a very nice veteran's discount. We had shopped around before and none of the other companies offered us that. The discount was one extra nice thing that we got from Safe Step, and it's the reason why we purchased the tub because it brought down the price enough that we were able to afford it. The installers were very courteous, nice and speedy. I was surprised that they put it in in the length of time that they did. The tub has a beautiful appearance, and looks like it was built there from the beginning. They cleaned up their mess, and left everything like it was a brand new bathroom.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2015

My experience with Safe Step has been real good. The sales rep I talked to was a good salesman and he was great. Moreover, I was surprised that the installation was done in the first day. I still don't know all the tricks of the tub, but I enjoy it so far.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2015

Their sales rep and installation team were both very good. I chose Safe Step because their step was a lot lower compared to other retailers. The jets are my favorite feature. However, I don't use it everyday because it takes up so much water.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2015

The installers of Safe Step were really good. They came in and did what they were supposed to do, then cleaned up after themselves. They were really good at what they do so I'd recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2015

I saw an ad about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs on TV. I also read about it on the AARP paper. They seemed to have the best guarantee over other ones so we purchased from them. I also like the micro jets of the tub. However, I haven't been able to use it recently as much as I wanted to because of a rash on my back - I can't get my back wet. There's also one mistake I noticed on the papers. That tub should be in mine and my husband's name. Nonetheless, I'd still recommend this product to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2015

I’d recommend Safe Step. My experience with them went well and I'm liking the product so far.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

I decided to go with Safe Step because I saw Pat Boone in their TV commercial, and I have friends that have it. I wanted something safe. I asked Safe Step the prices afterwards and when they told me, I was shocked. But the sales representatives were very good, and the installers, Patrick and Nick, were awesome, kind and went through everything with me.

I am not really nuts about the tub. I have a hard time getting in it through the door. When I talked to one of my friends, she paid $8,000 for her tub and I told her I ended up paying $13,300 for mine. I really feel like it was a rip-off, and I should have investigated other tubs. I only use the tub once or twice a week, and I can’t see people staying in it a whole hour. It takes 15 minutes to fill up, and I’m set in there for 20 minutes. I’m not one of those people that can lay in a tub, but I talked to a friend who has arthritis like me and I told her she might like it a lot better than me. In fact, I invited her over to try it.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

My wife enjoys using the Safe Step Walk-in Tubs and it helps her pains. Our sales rep was very nice and the installation team were fast in doing their job. I’d recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

The sales rep was very good and covered everything. And the installers did a very quick job. We like sitting in the tub with the jets. I sit in it twice when my hemorrhoids are bad. I know the water is very good for them. They were getting better and I haven't had it since. But we've called Safe Step about our shower sticking on the wall and it won't stay up. At night I hear it hits the tub, so we got to hang it down. It doesn't stay with double-sided tape, and they didn't say when they could come.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

I'm totally impressed with Safe Step - words can't describe. The installation was incredible. I feel great with it and I'm so thankful. I will tell everybody that everyone would need something like it.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

The sales representative that talked to me was very good, and the tub installation was terrific. They did the installation quickly and seamlessly. But I'm still getting used to the tub. It's not like what I have before but it is safer, and I can take a shower very nicely in it. I don't always have time to soak and get bombarded by the power jets but it's very nice. I am very happy that I got the brochure that I missed getting before so that I know everything that I can do now, and I like that I can take a shower easily.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

We like the circulation of the water, the hydro valves, and the warm feet on our walk-in tub. We love Safe Step.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

I'm very happy with Safe Step and I recommend them. The sales rep that I spoke with was excellent and the installers did a beautiful job.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

My experience with Safe Step's sales rep was real good. Installation was wonderful. The installers were super nice and did a great job, though I had a fairly easy base to install it and the drain and plumbing was in the right place which made it a little easier for them. My problem is that it takes so long to fill the tub up, but I have learned that if I wait until the water gets up above the water intake that I can go ahead and turn off the jet. I don't have to wait for it to fill all the way up and I don't run it very long when I'm doing that. And I'm also having difficulty with the seat not warming up okay. I also don't know where to put in the scented beads. They never told me how to work that.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

My initial experience with the company was very bad. Their sales reps were terrible. They were pushy and didn't come through with what they promised, so I ended up talking with the second head of the company. He was able to take care of things after two or three months. Initially, we were interested in the tub and then realized it was too expensive, so we ended up switching to the shower. They did a fabulous job.

The other part of the system that was inconvenient included the lack of response to what we were supposed to do. I finally had to look for some help from another place. Then a gentleman named Mike called me to see what they can do. In the end, it turned out okay and I love the product. But overall, it was a troublesome experience. It's too bad that I had to go to that extent to get something done. But I'd like to stress that, even though the experience was rough, Mike and the people who put the tub in were awesome.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

I love it! But I like the Safe Step walk-in tub that I had in Ohio better. I like the way it was set up. The other tub that was installed, they took a little paint off the wall which I was not happy with.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

In April of 2015 I had a tub installed. The job was never completed as per contract. (1) Have since hired a person to install a sink $500.00, (2) the pony wall not built $933.00 = $1433.00. As of to date have not been able to have adjustment made to my account. Was told to contact finance co. My problem is not with finance co. it is with Safe Step. They owe 1433.00+ interest I am charged. The product is ok, the installer work was very unprofessional. Had to have three service men to try to fix the mess. As of to date the bathroom door won't shut and caulking is coming loose...

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

I'm very unhappy with Safe Step. I wish I had never bought it. I have no objection to the actual tub. It was just the installation - we have been very inconvenienced. We received the tub on Wednesday night, July 22nd. Todd and a helper came in early. They worked all day and they ran into some problems, and they kept going back to town for this and that. They got through about 8 o'clock that night and as he left, he said "I assure you. I can promise you that it will not leak."

Well, it didn't leak so the next day, I took a bath and was happy with it. When I got out, my husband decided he would take a bath. We'd try it out. So he got in and first thing I knew, he was started hollering to me for a towel. I went to get it to him and walked through water above my ankles. The tub was not leaking but the connection between the tub and the water from the main water from outside that feeds the house, the connector had come loose. It flooded our house and everything got soaked.

I called the man who sold it to us, Kip **, and he assured me he'd had me some help in shortly. So Todd called because he had gotten the word. And he told me he was sending me a plumber and Safe Clean, who would dry it up. The plumber came that night and Safe Clean came. The plumber immediately found the problem, got the right thing and hooked it up. And we've had no problem since. But it seems to me that Todd could've done it in the first place - to put the correct connector there, but he didn't. Safe Clean came and helped my husband clean up all the water and they lift everything out of the way of the water. They brought in 12 heating apparatuses. I still couldn't get into my bedroom. We slept in chairs. Our furniture and everything we have is piled up on the dining room table or in the living room. And that's been July 23 and it's already August.

We've called and Todd kept assuring us that his insurance company was going to come and do some evaluation but we haven’t seen the insurance inspector to assess this damage. And now we can't even get a hold of Todd. We've left messages for him to please call us. We got him a couple of times early on and he was very apologetic and he assured me that the insurance company would be in contact with me and he was working. And finally, yesterday, I had reached my limit with him and indicated to him that if I did not get an answer by this morning, that I would do what I had to do. I've gone with State Farm to get them to come in and cover the cleanup, damages and repairs.

It's definitely frustrating to see the mess and know that it's got to be cleaned up and nobody is interested. I liked Todd because he really worked and tried hard but he just didn't get what needed to be done. What Safe Step should do with him and all other installers is have them to prove that they've got credible insurance to cover themselves so that Safe Step won't have to go and put up with people like them. Now I'm waiting for State Farm to come through and go ahead and get started.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

I like the Safe Step tub. The sales rep did everything and answered all my questions. I would've liked a glass door instead of the shower curtain but there was no offer and it’s too late now but I'm happy with what I got. The installation guys are something else - they had the thing done in one day. I'm really happy with my purchase.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

The Safe Step Walk-in Tub is great for me. I like it! Their sales rep was very, very good and the installation was done in a timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I had a very good experience with the Safe Step representative but I didn't like the way my tub was put in by the installers. I was told it would be level with my tile. After they got it in, they said I'd have to call a plumber in if I wanted it lower. Still, I would recommend them.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: July 26, 2015

The sales person came here, began talking to my infirm elderly father, began schmoozing him with high pressured sales tactics. I began getting really angry. Finally went upstairs, began cursing and when I left he suggested to my father he call the council on aging about Elderly Abuse.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Holly, Thank you for bring this to our attention and we will immediately research your comments. This is not indicative or representative of the caring and giving company that was built on industry-leading customer service and respect. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused your family.

No response received
    Original review: July 22, 2015

We, my wife and I purchased the product back in mid-April and it was installed the first week of May. We had some concerns after the contract was written and at the time of installation. During the time of the prep and install, the contractor team that they used removed the door frame between our bedroom and bathroom to get the tub and parts through. After the install of the tub and the re-assemble of the door frame they only put it back together partially leaving it in poor condition, no caulking on the inside areas. As well around the areas of the tub they left gaps and holes that should have been caulked. We took photos contacted the company, e-mailed the photos to the team's boss or supervisor and still have not heard from Safe Step concerning resolving this matter.

The product is fine. There are some things that could be done differently such as the design of the door as well as where the shower head is located. Also, we were quite disturbed at the fact that after the interest they then tell you about the need for a special high capacity water heater or an alternative. Would we recommend it? Perhaps yes since it can offer a better experience for aging persons and persons with disabilities but pricing is a bit excessive and should be negotiated. Overall it's a good product that offers a great benefit but they need to do better to inform customers about the requirements as well as the construction requirements and provide corrective solutions when their construction teams create problems.

Original review: July 22, 2015

On January 28, 2015 my wife and I contracted with Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co to have a Safe Step Walk-In Tub installed for a total of $14,236.00. It was recommended in writing that we have a 50-gallon water heater installed. We purchased and installed a Brasscraft Electric Hybrid Water Heater that cost an additional $1,294.32. We contacted the company once with the complaint that the water was running off one end of the tub onto the floor and we could only get enough warm water to come 3 quarters of the way to the seat.

They came and installed a splash guard on the end of the tub and it was recommended that we set the water heater to the "high usage" setting. This still does not work and we can only fill the tub (while in it) up to the seat which makes the jets and other features of the tub useless. We basically ended up with a very expensive, very small walk in shower. This tub does not even come close to meeting our needs and was misrepresented by the salesperson Bruce **. We have discovered that there are many other consumers with the same complaint. It seems that the Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co is preying on the elderly and disabled.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: July 20, 2015

After reading the bad reviews - sorry you're not getting this money! How horrible to treat people like a scam artist. Glad I read before I buy one.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: July 8, 2015

This review is in regards to the Austin, TX location. Had our tub installed May 14. We didn't use it for several weeks and when we did, it leaked from the motor area. When the service tech, Mike arrived he determined he needed to order a part which affected the air function. Mike came back on June 16 to replace the part. Used the tub on June 19 and the air function didn't work. 6/19 - called after business hours and left a message. NO RETURN CALL. 6/22 or 23 - called and front desk transferred me to an extension (Christine?) on which I ended up having to leave a message. NO RETURN CALL. 6/25 called and front desk - transferred me to Amelia(?). 6/30(?) - Mike (service tech) returned my call to say he might make it that week but more likely next week. 7/08 - Now down to two stars!!! I'm about to call the service department once again since I have NOT RECEIVED A CALL to schedule an appointment.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 4, 2015

Telephoned to repair or replace door lock handle on May 27 2015. At that time I was told to wait 24 to 48 hours for the tech to respond, no response. Telephoned again JUNE 4 2015, told to wait another day for response. Bought AMERICAN MADE FOR BETTER SERVICE??????? Not even a courtesy call from tech.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: April 14, 2015

I bought the tub from Safe Step but the salesperson did not tell me I needed a 60-gallon water heater. There is a paragraph stating they recommend this and there is a spot to be initialed by the customer showing the customer understand this. The salesperson did not ask me to initial this line and he wrote in "Supply". When I complained about the tub and wanted to get my money back, they said it was used and wouldn't do anything about it. I feel deceived and cannot afford a bigger water heater and I feel I should have been told about this. They said that if Safe Step had installed the tub themselves, then I would have had to initial that paragraph, but they had given me the number of a person who installs their tubs who works independently and I contacted him to install it.

Now, conveniently for them they say that legally they didn't have to get my initials since this person they recommended installed it. This is outrageous. This company should have made it clear I would need a 60-gallon water heater. I am 83 years old and have wasted so much money on this tub that I can't even use. I hope anyone interested in a walk-in tub goes anywhere to buy one except this con artist company!

Original review: April 6, 2015

The salesman was the most long-winded person we've ever come across, but he wanted to make sure we understood exactly what we were getting for our money. The tub we chose was 51"x31" and our 40 gallon water heater is fine. The installation crew (4) were very professional and had obviously installed hundreds of these tubs. The tub is totally commercial grade and is assembled with Aircraft-grade aluminum, and Delta plumbing components. In doing my research I found that many of the top tubs were rated that way because of price and that lower price was due to Chinese construction and limited warranties. Ours is made in America, and guaranteed for life. Few tubs can match just these two factors!

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information