Rubbermaid

Compare Cookware Brands

Research top Cookware Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I ordered 2 replacement trash can lids from Rubbermaid and after taking identifying photos of the cans themselves, which we have had in use for 15 years at least, they took my order and shipped the two lids to us and they arrived in a little over 2 weeks. They fit perfectly. But happy as I was at that, I was completely astounded when I called Rubbermaid back and told them we had not received an invoice for those lids. You know what they said?? "Enjoy your new free replacement lids!!!" That type of customer service is a rarity in this day and time. They just earned themselves a loyal customer for the remainder of my life!!!

To avoid messy meal packing when going outdoors, I always use our Rubbermaid food storage containers -- the plastic stackable containers. And what's good with this food storage is that it resists odors after washing so when used again, food stays fresh. I do have the glass containers and use it only for leftovers at home. I'm sure other families doing outdoors always have this brand because it's convenient and the company is known to have durable products.

I bought this set at Costco, Rubbermaid 30-pc. Premier Food Storage Set. Found it so useful that I went and bought another. We use many of these every day. There are probably 8 containers inside our refrigerator at any time. I find the clear plastic to be helpful. The lids seal very well. I also bought a set for my daughter. Highly recommended.

My old drain board needed replaced, which worked perfectly. This new one does not fit over the edge of the sink, slides all over the counter because of the hard finish. Can't you make one that is more like the old style and not this hard plastic? And make it so it does fit over the edge of the sink. What good is it if it drains onto the countertop!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rubbermaid?

I bought a Rubbermaid DuraChill. Been happy with it, the few times I've used it until last weekend. The lid blew off the cooler. It has a split lid. Not a great design. The cooler was in the back of the truck when one side of the lid blew off. It had no way to lock the lid down, just push down hard and that was it. On our way camping had all the food in it, and we looked backed to check on the camping gear, and noticed one half of the lid was gone. Too far up in the hills to go back and look for the lid, so we had to deal with food and beverages not staying cold.

I called Rubbermaid and complained. They told me the cooler was not designed to go in the back of the pickup. REALLY??? There was no notice on the cooler not to put it in the back of a truck anywhere!!! I asked if I could buy a replacement lid. I was told NO. Kinda weird to me since you can still buy the coolers at most stores. They said they would give me a $25.00 gift certificate towards a new cooler. Still waiting for that to come in the mail. I now have to throw away a new cooler because I can't get a new lid for their poor design of a cooler. Really??? You should have gave me all my money back especially after you told me there was several complaints for the same thing on the same cooler! Not impressed with Rubbermaid. Won't buy another of their products!

I purchased a Rubbermaid full cabinet about nine months ago. Right afterwards, we found a house that we purchased so I waited till after the move to open the box. When I opened the box, a few of the plastic rods were busted. I didn't know if it came that way or got busted in the move. I called Rubbermaid to buy some new one. I told them the story and wanted to know how much it was going to be. The lady was extremely nice and said they would ship it out free of charge. I was floored. I can't tell you the last time I've had customer service even half as good as that. Rubbermaid has made a lifetime customer out of me!!! Thanks Rubbermaid and keep up the great service.

Reveal Spray Mop - The mop was great until the sprayer squeeze handle broke after 6 months. I contacted the company to complain and they hadn't heard of the product! So I sent them pictures-only 4 times, which they NEVER received. I expect everything they make to be as to be as great as their storage products. Maybe I set the mark too high.

Bought now the second defective Rubbermaid sip bottle with loop. It is advertised to not leak and does profusely whenever it is on its side or upside down. The straw that is used for drinking, after the first day of use, just like the last bottle did, just falls out of the lid and you have to unscrew the top and put the straw back in the hole only to have it fall out again minutes later. These bottle cost $5 a piece - not cheap - and are useless junk the first day of use. How can they falsely advertise that they don't leak, when they do and the straw won't stay in to drink the water that is in the bottle?

Mop heads new 45 gallon trash can - I've owned a cleaning business for over 15 years and have always bought your product, but I have noticed they have really gone downhill in the last couple of years. I'm thinking I need to start looking elsewhere. Just bought a can a month ago, it's already broke the mop, heads don't last at all anymore either, but are higher priced. Not can happy customer.

Bought 7x7 Rubbermaid shed for over $600.00. When shed was assembled both doors bowed leaving gap at top, leaving contents exposed to rain, etc. Contacted company. After many emails and calls, finally was sent 4 replacement doors. None fit!

Recently I bought a Rubbermaid bottle for storing and pouring liquids. The number on the label (not the bar code) is L31776349. It held 2 quarts or 1.9 liters. The thing you expect from plastic, the reason you use it, is that it doesn't - or isn't supposed to - break like glass, with all the hazards of glass. This was a new item. I had it more than half full of extremely green vegetable juice, which ended up all over the floor in a lurid Hulk-green mess because the bottle broke. I fumbled it. It slipped down, without inordinate force, onto my resilient type kitchen floor. This is ridiculous. If I had used a recycled juice bottle it wouldn't have broken. I know because as soon as I cleaned it up - a long messy process - I immediately grabbed an empty V-8 bottle and put water in it, about the same amount, and lobbed it onto the floor. Nothing. So I paid a few bucks for Rubbermaid, expecting a superior-at-least-to-used-juice-bottle. I was wrong. And Rubbermaid is wrong for producing and selling such useless trash.

I recently purchased some new Rubbermaid containers for my daily lunch. I noticed the plastic looked thinner and different when I was purchasing it. The sticker on the outside says Made in USA but when I looked on the bottom of the products, it said made in Malaysia. The plastic is really made cheap and it seems to fall apart easily. It already has scratch marks on it and I have barely used it. It saddens and sickens me that Rubbermaid is now made in Malaysia and is made cheap. I do not like supporting sweatshops, especially when I am tricked into it and my money is gone. I am left with a crappy product and no money. I got scammed.

I sent chili in one of your storage containers with the red "rubber" lids to work in my son's lunch. He washed it at work and said that later when he walked back into that room, he could smell the chili from that lid. I have soaked it in lemon juice, then hot soapy water, and that same smell seems to permeate the entire kitchen afterward! Is this what I can expect every time I use them?

I got a half gallon Rubbermaid cooler and the label said 'drip-proof lid'. Well, it drips every time I turn it up to pour out any cold liquids. It has dripped from day one and it makes a mess every time I use it. Can you send me a 5-inch flat o-ring to seal the lid? Or, send me a real no-drip lid cooler?

In the past two months, two of your products mentioned above, the large spatula, white with a red handle have broken at the point where it connects. I have always used your products and have had no complaints. Is there a defect in the manufacture of this product?

I purchased a 30 piece value pack of containers as a Christmas gift, and decided I thought I'd like it. So glad I kept it. Most of the covers do not stay on at all. They can not be used with liquid for sure. I am so glad I did not give this out as I would have felt awful for giving this product to anyone. I have used a lot of Rubbermaid, and have never been disappointed before. I am not sure if I will still invest more money in these products.

The "MixerMate" container top is very poorly designed. The top pops off with almost no effort. The first time I used it in a lunchbox, I found that the top had popped off and dumped the contents into the lunchbox. It would appear that Rubbermaid does not test their products very well before production. I've seen numerous similar complaints on this same product. All I want is a screw on top, forget about trying to make something nifty or stylish. Give me something that works or give me my money back.

I bought Rubbermaid Rougneck 45lb wheeled trash cans from Home Depot last year. I should have read the reviews online at homedepot.com and rubbermaid.com first. The lids never fit correctly and within a few weeks, both lids cracked and ripped. Sticker on the cans says 'engineered for life'. It's a very poorly designed product which is disappointing. Previously I had Rubbermaid cans that lasted well for over ten years. The Rubbermaid site says these are sold exclusively through Home Depot.

The ice cube trays Walmart sells are poisoning people using them. If you freeze your water, then let the cubes melt in a glass afterwards, you'll see plastic scum that comes off the trays in the glass of water! You're drinking plastic. Try it; these are the Rubbermaid trays.

I purchased a Rubbermaid Big Max Shed 7X7 on 9/4/06 at Home Depot. There was a rebate for a Free Deckbox if purchase was made between 8/24 and 9/27. I sent in my receipt to Rubbermaid on Sept 9, 2006. I received a letter from Rubbermaid on Nov 23, 2006 stating that I sent the wrong receipt (in which I did, I sent a copy and not the original) but their letter stated that I had 7 business days to resubmit the rebate. The date on the letter was dated 11/03/06; the envelope was dated 11/17/06. Way past the 7 business days required.

I resent my original receipt back to them on 11/18/06. I then have received the envelope which I sent my original receipt in, on 12/22/06. Label states "return to sender, refused". It was also stamped Return to Sender offer expired. I do not understand their process, it took more than 7 business days to get this mail to me and then when I return it, they tell me offer expired. I bought this shed at Home Depot because of the special rebate and now I receive nothing. This really upsets me and I will never buy any Rubbermaid products again.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded more than 80 years ago, Rubbermaid has made a name for itself by offering cooks and chefs durable products to store and organize kitchens. Rubbermaid products are found in most retail stores.

• Food storage: Rubbermaid's line of food storage containers includes those with easy-find lids.
  • Keep produce fresh: Consumers can keep produce fresher with specific storage containers designed for produce.
  • Freezer safe: Consumers can safely store food in either the refrigerator or freezer without worrying about freezer burn.
  • Specialty storage: Many Rubbermaid food containers are designed to function as lunch boxes.
  • Kitchen organizers: Consumers can organize cookware lids, kitchen utensils and more with Rubbermaid products.
  • Best for Beginner cooks, home cooks, home chefs and professional chefs.

Compare Cookware Brands