Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Reviews

Original review: July 20, 2015

16 year old water heat started leaking. I replaced it with a Rheem 50 gallon Power Vent Propane Water Heater. After 3 weeks it would only heat water to luke warm (tepid) then shut down. I read the bad reviews on this website and thought I made a big mistake. I bought it a Home Depot and had to drive 70 miles to pick it up. The Energy Dept created new standards effective April 2015 and there were only 2 in Southwest Ohio. Can't go without hot water very long (spoiled Americans). With all the bad reviews, why would HD carry this product?

I called Rheem customer service and MY experience was the OPPOSITE of everything posted on this site. All were most helpful to troubleshoot. Sent a new pressure switch. I changed it and that didn't fix it. I am a very good DIY person. There aren't that many parts to a water heater but a Power Vent heater is a little more complicated. I think I ended up (ultimately) speaking to 5 customer service people. The last was a guy that only advised on Power Vent models. He asked about the baffle in the middle under the Power Vent. I was sticking out about 1 inch but looked normal to me as I didn't know what was normal/abnormal.

Apparently during the drive from Columbus to Cincinnati it worked itself out (it should be flush with the shoulder). I asked if I could set on its side during transit and the HD person said yes as long as I didn't set it on the side with the controls. Made sense but the baffle vibrated out a bit. The fuel/air ratio was confused. Anyway the last guy told me to push this baffle down. It was firm. I put a piece of wood on it and gave it a quick bang and it went down flush!!! I powered it up and it now produces scalding water. Hot setting is plenty. You do not need VERY HOT. You will get burned. To summarize, I wanted to counter all the bad reviews about Rheem water heaters and let others know they WILL help you and send a part/technician right away if necessary. Working perfectly now.

Original review: July 17, 2015

Rheem electric water heater, Model # PRO+E50 2 RH95 EC1 with Protection Plus Kit. WET DOG ODOR, RUST AND CONDENSATION: The heater smelled like a wet dog the day my plumbing contractor installed it (11 05 2014). I figured it was just new item odor, but it hasn't gone away after 8 months. Condensation droplets formed inside the plastic cap above the primary magnesium anode on the very first day of operation. The condensation remained for seven months after installation. Rust stains remain there still.

FAULTY PROTECTION PLUS KIT: The Protection Plus Kit, with its secondary anode, had a manufacturing defect. It leaked after 6 months because the nipples plastic lining didn't completely cover the pipe interior. The manufacturer left the top three-sixteenths of an inch of pipe with no lining! Thus unprotected, those three sixteenths of an inch rusted, developed osteoporosis, leaked, and my plumber had to replace the kit with a straight brass nipple.

After sending two different, wrong replacement parts (am attaching a photo of one of them placed alongside the old part they were attempting to replace), Rheem finally sent the correct replacement Protection Plus Kit despite having told me three times that for strange reasons this kit couldn't be replaced. But unfortunately this correct replacement kit has the same manufacturer defect the first one had. This new part needs repair prior to installation or it too will leak.

I've twice written to Rheem's technical department, letting them know of the manufacturing defect, telling them of my repair idea, and asking for their advice. I needed to know if JB Weld "water weld" epoxy will stick to the plastic they used in the manufacturing process---to know if it's polypropylene or PVC, because no epoxy will stick to polypropylene). But after sending and resending this letter to Rheem's technical department, I've received no response after six weeks.

Anthony at Pace Plumbing Supply in Stockton, who sold my plumber this water heater with Protection Plus Kit, suggested I keep the brass nipple, cut the magnesium rod from the faulty nipple, simply drop it into the tank, and reattach the brass nipple. Shocked by this suggestion, I asked if the anode might break the glass lining when it hits bottom, whereupon he quickly said he had to go to a meeting and hung up on me. I'm getting worried because my 1-year guarantee is quickly expiring. I cannot get answers from Rheem, and my plumbing contractor says I can and should do nothing---that my only solution is to wait for the heater to fail and then replace it with my own funds---buying another brand of heater to be sure.

Has anyone else out there had trouble with wet dog odor from their brand new top-of-the-line water heater? None of my former water heaters have had this problem here where I've lived for 43 years. What causes it? Finally, I'd be happy to join a class action suit against Rheem in order that I might recover my merchandise cost and installation fee. Needless to say, no settlement will ever compensate for the grief.

Original review: July 16, 2015

We had a Rheem installed 4 years ago and have spent almost $2000 so far to have it repaired. I don't think a AC company should even sell Rheem and if they do they should advise the buyer of the problems that Rheem units have. Never buy a Rheem, NEVER.

Original review: July 16, 2015

A blower motor went in 5 years and 5 months. The warranty says 10 years only if you register it in 60 days. If not registered in that time you have only 5 years. My contractor put the warranty in a plastic bag and attached it to the inside of the access door. I asked Rheem to help with the cost of $1,100.00 and the agent Melisa said it was out of warranty. A lesson learned. Never assume that 10 year warranty means that in today's world. A simple mistake by a contractor cost me 1,1000.00. I think that if you offer a 10 year warranty it should be that for one of their top of the line units.

Original review: July 16, 2015

Our water heater was professionally installed in May 2011. Last month the unit started leaking. I pulled out the paperwork and went online to verify the warranty. According to their warranty verification site, the warranty was valid through 6/11/2024. I called the Rheem customer service line (800-432-8373) and spoke to someone that confirmed that the warranty was valid. He said I needed to have a plumber look at the unit first and he gave me the name of a plumber that I could use. I paid $140 for him to come out and he confirmed that the unit was properly installed and the heat exchanger was leaking. I called Rheem back on 6/26/15 and the customer service agent (Scott, who was very nice) asked some basic questions including "Were you the homeowner at the time the unit was installed?" I bought the house one year ago. He then told me that because I was not the owner of the home when it was installed, the warranty was not valid.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and he told me was the one in charge. I asked to speak to his manager and he took my information and told me he would have him call me but no one ever did. I sent an email to Rheem's customer service center and again got no response. As a result, I have had to pay $1,975 to buy a new tankless water heater and have it installed. To make matters worse, I was forced to buy another Rheem as any other brand would have required additional costs to retrofit the piping to fit that product (according to the plumber that Rheem referred). I feel that the product failed after 4 years and this should have nothing to do with the fact that I bought the house 3 years after it was installed. I would like to be reimbursed for the cost of the new unit under the original warranty. I am also disappointed that Rheem did not respond to my request to speak to a manager or my email to their customer service center.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem?

Original review: July 14, 2015

I purchase my unit in 2013 and have had trouble with it ever since. The heat works fine, but the a/c does not work for an entire season. When it was first installed it would not stay on because of the water sensor. I had to reset the sensor multiple times, until they finally replaced it. Turned the unit on in 2014 and it didn't come on. They had to come out three times that summer. Now it's 2015 and again the unit would not come on. They got it running. A month later it is frozen up because it is leaking. They put in a sealant and now another month later it is leaking again. They refuse to replace it and just keep wasting my time "fixing" it.

Original review: July 13, 2015

My evaporator coil on my AC system had to be replaced twice within a 5 yr period. In both cases labor was not covered by Rheem because the 1yr labor guarantee had passed. The bottom line was as follows. I am out approximately $240.00 for number one service call. (visit plus freon) Labor for installing was $475.00. The 2nd time, about 3yrs later, the same scenario. $230.00 for service call and $493 for installation. In both cases the coil was covered by Rheem. The number of calls made by me to Rheem and my contractor too numerous to mention. I did everything right. I must throw some blame towards my contractor in handling the 2nd fiasco.

In any case, the problem is this. None of this would have happened if Rheem's equipment had not broken down in the first place in less than 5rs. (My limited guarantee is for 10yrs.) What good is a guarantee if you run into the kind of situation described? Now I am out about $1500.00 and what can happen next? Rheem was not considerate to my problems at all, and kept reciting their legal obligations. That's it. Thanks for letting me vent.

Original review: July 12, 2015

Bought a brand new Rheem 3.5 ton ac system last year to replace a 15 yr old Goodman and have regretted it since. The system is only 8 months old and I have already had to replace the entire a-frame coils due to manuf defect/design failure, like many of the other people are complaining about. Also had to replace the blower motor and control board just to keep my home cool! Now, as I write this, the condenser fan motor sounds like it went or will go this soon and will most likely need to also be replaced. I think the only thing left I haven't replaced is the condenser itself. I would be surprised if Rheem are not bankrupt next year. I'll NEVER buy anything made by Rheem or Ruud. They have no quality control and contractors are dumping them from all the black eyes they are now getting because of Rheem's bad failing products.

Original review: July 11, 2015

3 months I bought an ac from Rheem. Junk. Never worked from day one and all they do is give you a run around. Stay clear, bad company.

Original review: July 10, 2015

Part went bad. Under warranty. They did not pay for installation. Feel I'm being ripped off.

Original review: July 6, 2015

My unit ran great and then right before 5 yrs and thereafter it breaks every 4 hours, blown capacitor. Nothing under warranty. All these AC companies live for the repairs. That's where they make their money. Have another Rheem at another home, Nothing but problems.

Original review: July 1, 2015

I bought this boiler heater from the Home depot. As soon as I installed boiler it does not work. Pilot lights up for only 30 to 40 minutes and goes off. I complained to Rheem + Home Depot. No one to take action. They said we will send you parts. You can yourself call plumber and fix it. Rheem product is totally defective, they don't want to fix the problem Even customer service is very bad, they don't want to listen anything. Once they sold product who cares after.

Original review: June 30, 2015

What happened to the Rheem quality that I grew up with. This unit is only 3 years old and began leaking at the base below the lower T-Stat. It caused severe water damage to the interior of my unit. My plumber shared that the quality control on the assembly line is poorly managed. Examples of units that have failed revealed only partial interior glass lining which instantly began rusting and a thinner gauge of metal used to build the tanks.

Original review: June 29, 2015

Purchased a water heater 4 mo. ago for rental house. Did not work upon hook-up. Contacted company, described problem, and they sent out part. Put in new part. Did not work. Called Rheem again. Sent out control box. Had to get plumber to install. There were no plumbers in my area (Bakersfield, CA) that were contracted with Rheem, so I had to pay cash and be reimbursed from Rheem. BTW was told by plumber that they used to contract with Rheem, but they were horrible to deal with and couldn't contract with them anymore due to nonpayment.

So I faxed everything Rheem requested from me for reimbursement, and 4 mo. later still no reimbursement. So I called them on a Friday. Was told to call back Monday to see if it had been sent on for reimbursement, and starting all over again on Monday. Frustrating!!! They are now telling me that they have to call the plumber that I paid 4 mo. ago to confirm my payment to him. I faxed them the receipt, and that's not good enough due to so many people that are dishonest. I don't know how this place stays in business. Also this is the second water heater I have purchased from Rheem with same mechanical problems. What are the odds of this happening twice? Well I now know it's the products they sell, and I will never purchase anything made by this company again. Research before you buy. I usually do, but I sent my boyfriend to pick this up for me. Do not do business with this company!!!

Original review: June 25, 2015

Our unit is only 3 yrs and have had it worked on 3 times adding freon.. Now the A coils are rusting.

Original review: June 23, 2015

We have 2 Rheem units that were installed approximately 5 years ago. Both units are now not functioning properly. We are still waiting on the verdict on the one unit, but we know that the evap coil has developed leaks in the main unit. Rheem has agreed to replace the coil per the warranty, but not to pay any labor or freon replacement costs. Those costs are in excess of $1,000. I have contacted Rheem customer service and they are not sympathetic or helpful at all. I would go so far as to say that ** the customer service rep was borderline hostile. We are left with defective units (there is a class action lawsuit in Florida against Rheem for defective coils), and a company that couldn't care less! So VERY dissatisfied with Rheem!!

Original review: June 13, 2015

I purchase 3 Ruud A/C units for my new construction home off of great experience from my 25+ year old theme unit in my previous home. I currently have two 3 ton units and one 2 ton unit. Within 1 year my 2nd unit would not cool, service tech had to replace condenser coil.... Looked as if it was damaged from factory. That winter it would not run in heat pump mode, had to replace control board in condenser unit. Following year same unit would not cool again..... Evap coil bad, had to be replaced. The following spring the AH blower motor would not come on, new ECM module and motor replaced. Year 3, this same unit would not cool again and my 2 ton unit would not cool effectively. Both units had leaky evap coils that had to be replaced. Now as I write this the 2 floor unit is not running again, I suspect the ECM or blower motor. South Louisiana in summer is not fun with no AC.

Summary: In less than 3 years I've had 4 coils a control board, ECM and motor replaced in 3 units, all the while fighting tooth and nail with Ruud customer service that is of no help. Oh and by the way the 10 year condenser unit replacement warranty is only if the compressor goes out. Yes they will cover parts under warranty but not labor or refrigerant. I have over $1,600 in repair bills on what was supposed to be high-end units. DO NOT buy Ruud.

Original review: June 12, 2015

Purchased two Rheem central A/C systems for my house about 5 years ago. Shortly after installations, both systems failed. The installer performed fixes that did not last. Each year, we have to call for service. Now we are advised that the systems are defective and may cost up to $1000 to fix.

Original review: June 11, 2015

You can hardly take shower or wash clothes with hot water. I have lived in my home for 50 years, this will be my 4th heater, until now I have never had this smell. Contacted Rheem, they said they had not heard of this problem. There is a site online that says different. Lots of other folks say they had same problem. One site said remove the anode tube, pour a quart of hydrogen peroxide, works for 2 to 3 months, smell comes back. Cold water has no smell.

Original review: June 9, 2015

Worst AC unit I have ever owned !!! DO NOT BUY ONE!!! I purchased my AC unit about 14 months ago and I have had it worked on at least 4 times. Faulty copper lines. They crack and leak out the Freon.... My AC guy said he has been fighting with Rheem everyday on the faulty lines. He said he is dealing with hundreds of customers with same issue on this brand and said Rheem won't fix the problems!!! Don't buy a Rheem.

Original review: June 2, 2015

April 25, 2015 my plumber installed a Rheem 40-gallon H2O Heater bought at Marina Del Rey, CA Home Depot at my Santa Monica rental house. The water did not get hot & we assumed it would in several hours. My tenant called me April 27th that the water still was not hot & observed a big water leak coming from the unit. My usual plumber who installed the unit was 100 miles away working & unable to arrive. I called RHS (Reliance Home Services), they arrived in 30 minutes & determined the H2O Heater as defective. My tenant was very upset and demanded emergency replacement now. Reliance informed me they could replace the H2O heater within the hour and guarantee hot water and a working H2O heater.

I went online and found other complaints of Home Depot Rheem 40-gallon H2O heater. I always thought Rheem was a good brand. I read Home Depot is purchasing low quality Rheem H2O heaters. I could not take another chance of getting "Rheemed by Rheem" as other angry Home Depot consumers of Rheem H2O heaters describe their frustration. So I incurred a 2nd H2O heater expense & installation with Reliance for emergency service. Although, the tenant and I were pleased to finally have hot water within the hour! I feel as others that this is totally unacceptable to sell bad products! I was unable to send pics of receipts due to my malfunctioning VZ cellphone!

Original review: May 25, 2015

I bought a hot water heater and got no hot water. Plumber came and said I needed a new valve. I was watching plumber reinstall valve when I observed wire fall out of connector. Not properly plugged in. Burner lite but no Hot Water, only warn. Let it be for a few days and then called Rheem. They sent a new gas valve and plumber came to install. Still no Hot Water! I am going to call again and ask for my money back.

Original review: May 24, 2015

It is Memorial Day weekend and we have no A/C, again. There have been 4 major breakdowns in 4 years. Compressors? 2, fan motors? 2, thermostats? 2, and currently the technician has no idea what is wrong. He said he would be calling Rheem on Tuesday to see if they have any recommendations.

Original review: May 18, 2015

My Rheem heat pump is barely 2 years old and I've had to have the refrigerant filled up 3 times!! Last winter, unknown to me, it all leaked out after being filled in June and my heat bill skyrocketed to between $200-390 for 4-5 months due to not having the refrigerant in it. Then this morning I had to have it serviced again due to no refrigerant. That's how I found out about the defective copper. My serviceman finally told me what the problem is. My heat pump is supposedly under full warranty, but, and because of, RHEEM using this faulty copper, I have to pay for the refrigerant, and the labor to have new coils put in to replace the defective ones!! I'm on disability and DO NOT have the money to get it replaced. I am still paying off loans for the heat bills this past winter. The labor is approximately $300-500 to replace the bad one, with the cost of the refrigerant on top of that? Please help us wit h this.

In my opinion as a consumer, if they used faulty material, why do I have to pay for it to be replaced? I had good faith that this was a brand new, in working order, heat pump and ac unit. I read a lot of bad reviews on this manufacturer and am wondering why no one is doing anything about this? We spoke to someone from the company this morning and yes, they knew about the issues that myself and apparently, hundreds of other people, are having with this manufacturer.

Original review: May 17, 2015

I bought a Rheem water heater 3 weeks ago. Installation went well. But then the pilot light went out the next morning. I restarted it right away. After 1-3 days it keeps going out. It never stays lit. I called Rheem - they told me that they would replace it or fix it. They told me to get a plumber to come out. The plumber called up Rheem and told them that everything was hooked up properly but it is not working correctly - that it needs to be replaced. They told them that there was a tiny leak in the water that they tighten and fixed instantly but it had nothing to do with the problem. Rheem told them that it is not covered now because there was a water leak. I can't even begin to tell you how small this leak was. It was nothing. Rheem was just looking for any excuse not to replace it. They are such a joke.

I would never buy another Rheem - I would never recommend one. My plumber kept telling them that the water had nothing to do with why this is not working. But they didn't care. They told me to go buy another one. Horrible customer service. Horrible product. Stay away from Rheem. Even my plumber told me that I should have read more reviews - most of their repairs are for Rheem.

Original review: May 7, 2015

Beutler Air Conditioning sold me two Rheem Central air conditioning units for $15,000 in Dec 2012. The units worked for two summers with limited use and they don't cool anymore. I had to scream at Beutler to come and check why they are not cooling anymore. Then I found online that there is a class action lawsuit on Rheem and my units are discontinued and can be purchased for about $1,000. The serviceman had to add freon but can't find anything wrong with them, so he says. I feel that Beutler sold me defective products, which is known in the industry for years. Their servicemen are dishonest, salesman is a fraud. I was ripped off and I want my money back.

Original review: May 1, 2015

For some reason when my last water heater died 3 years ago, the plumber sold me a Rheem. Three years later having big problems. Pilot light not igniting, etc. Fortunately, I have a service warranty that pays for the plumber's labor... but since the unit is under warranty, they won't cover it or the parts. Plumber called them and asked for all the parts - gas valve and thermocoupler. Three days later (after they messed up the order) a box shows up with only the gas valve. We tried to only replace it, but of course not enough. Another call to customer service (6th call by now) and they will now ship it for arrival next week. So not only the product is bad (as written here over and over and as experience by my plumber) but the customer service people are horrendous. Rude, short, unhelpful and obviously messing up. Never again nor would you.

Original review: April 29, 2015

Model 13PJL60A01 - This A/C unit was installed in our new home in December of 2010. Not even 5 years old it has 3 A/C Freon leaks -- The first in the air handler coil which had to be replaced and two in the outside unit in the same location. Each time the unit has been repaired we have had to pay $540.00 for the Freon replacement. That is over $1,600.00 in Freon alone. A new unit only cost just over $2,000.00. This unit is prone to leaks and vibration. Rheem seems to want to do nothing... I Rate Rheem extremely poor on quality.

Original review: April 28, 2015

I tried to leave a review on Home Depot's website about my negative experience with Rheem water heaters. Both times my review was not accepted due to not meeting "quality guidelines". I'm starting to wonder how many other reviews aren't showing from their site. We have had a lot of experience with Rheem. They used to make one of the best water heaters available even though they made all of the GE water heaters that had so many quality issues, the Rheem tank brand was still a good tank. Since Rheem no longer makes water heaters for GE and now has the Home Depot contract they have folded many cheap tanks into them.

On two separate occasions we had purchases a Rheem short 40 gallon water heater when a standard water heater would not fit. Both times we made the long haul of getting the tank and just as we got them out of the box we found big dents on both heaters. They had to be returned because while it was only the shell that was damaged, we had concerns about the condition of the glass liner.

Original review: April 25, 2015

My plumber purchased a Ruud Pacemaker about 8 years ago and installed in my garage, 4 years later it burst from the bottom and flooded my garage, ruining a bunch of personal items. Plumber comes back out and replaces defective heater and puts in a brand new replacement, even though the replacement was free I still had to pay the plumber $350 to install. Well now it's five years later and the replacement had water coming from the top of the water heater, another defective heater, my garage flooded again, personal items ruined again!!

I call claims dept and they tell me there's nothing they can do because my warranty was only good for the life of the first water heater? What? You have defective products that ruin my garage twice and cost me all kinds of money and there's nothing they can do? How about you make a better product!! I had my water pressure checked and it was fine so that's not the issue, the issue is that these water heaters are junk and Do Not Buy!! They are horrible water heaters, made by a company that doesn't stand behind their products, and insert language in their warranties that screw the consumer in the end. I will be looking for other consumers like me that bought these defective products and hopefully get some type of class action lawsuit going cause I know there's a lot more people that feel the same way I do. I now replaced with a Kenmore and it actually heats the water faster than the Ruud.

Rheem Company Information