3.8/5 (762 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: July 5, 2022

I purchased a Rheem water heater in 2018. It started leaking after 3 1/2 years of use. I contacted Rheem to initiate a warranty claim. Marvin was one of the rudest individuals I have ever spoken to, and was barely willing to help. I was informed that I would have to disconnect it myself, return it to Home Depot myself, take the new one from the store, and have someone install it.

This isn't a pair of shoes that I can box up and return to Nike. I don't have the skills to safely unhook a water heater by myself, and I don't own a truck or a van that can carry a water heater. Why Rheem wouldn't choose to send a verified partner to verify the issue, and provide a replacement, I can't understand. They sold a defective product that broke within its warranty, not me. I don't think the consumer should be on the hook for this when it's their inferior product. Avoid Rheem at all costs. It will save you in the long run.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I bought a Rheem tankless water heater from an authorized retailer but it was missing a fuse because it was a returned item (only one available at the store). I called Rheem customer service because the instruction says to do so instead of returning the item. I was lectured by customer service how Rheem does a quality control check of all their items and would not extend a courtesy of replacing the fuse which costs US$7. I am shocked and disappointed. Not sure if it's because of the lecture I received but definitely not the $7. I paid for the missing part.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2022

50 Gallon hot water tank failed after 5 years with a 6 year warranty. Customer service attentive, easy to get in touch with, empathetic, but no rational solution. In order to satisfy the warranty, you must return the tank to the business who installed it--- My installer refused to deal with Rheem. Too many bad experiences with very few solutions. One alternative, have another installer haul the defective tank away, return it to Rheem for evaluation and then they will install another Rheem tank. This is the second Rheem failure in 14 years. I refused to have another Rheem installed---no other option, take a Rheem replacement or nothing. No cash settlement. Be careful what you sign up for. Judging on all the other reviews here, you will be relying on them for help. Good luck!

Original review: June 8, 2022

Just like other customers my pilot would go out all the time. But right when my water heater hit the 6yr mark it stops working so I call customer service and of course they basically told me they can’t help me to purchase a new one. They are crooks. But at least I know and I’m gonna do my homework this time. I can’t wait for a class action

Original review: May 21, 2022

On 2014 I installed a Rheem water heater. Throughout the years the pilot kept going out and I would light it. Couple of months ago it started going out every day. Told the landlord. This water heater has an electrical pilot. The pilot and burner are seal and you are not suppose to work on it unless you are qualified to do so. The landlord told me he was going to buy a new because they want too much to fix it. We changed it I decided to take the burner out to see what happen and found that the pilot was not facing the right way and you cannot see it unless you take it apart. Every water heater that I haved work on the pilot is facing the burner or close to it. Has anyone had the same problem

Original review: April 27, 2022

Would not recommend this product to anyone. They changed their policy since buying. The defective tank must be returned to store. You must pay the difference in price. Rude people. Do not want to listen to you.

Original review: April 18, 2022

We bought this Rheem water heater because of all the good reviews everywhere. One year and one month after the installation, we had a short circuit, because of a leak in the lower element. Electrician and plumber were required, as Rheem warranty is void after one year (we thought 10 years when we bought, but no, just one…). So it had been repaired and we changed the element. 6 months later, another leak appeared from the same place. Repaired again. Now for the third time, a leak bean. So after two years and a half, as the warranty is void and service very so so, we have to buy another heater… Extremely disappointing.

Original review: April 17, 2022

Water heater less than a year old keeps freezing up and high discharge alarm. Call customer service. Keeps disconnected. I have called over 10 time. Last time they told me there’s no one in my area to work on it. They would call me when there was 6 weeks ago. Just really tried of this junk company.

Original review: April 4, 2022

I have used Rheem for many years in all the houses I have owned but when a product of theirs is damaged it is a problem because they do not want to cover the guarantee. They always look for excuses not to cover the guarantee of the products and as a client they try to sell the most expensive parts.

Original review: April 2, 2022

My Rheem 50 gallon water heater started leaking after 4 years and was replaced. Rheem refused to honor the their warranty, mind you the heater broke after 4 years! We also have a water softener to mitigate leak issues. Left on hold multiple times for long periods. Obviously symptomatic of the many issues with their cheaply made products. Would never buy from this company again and recommend avoiding at all costs. Their reps are not courteous and don’t give a crap. Rheem wanted me to bring back the broken water heater to the place of purchase. Of course the previous plumber who installed it bought it so no clue where they purchased. Why would I need to return a broken water heater??? Answer, to make it difficult for customers to get compensated. The warranty is terrible and not worth the paper it's printed on but more importantly, the water heater broke after only 4 years. Terrible product, customer service and terrible company.

Rheem Water Heaters author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.

• Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.

• Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.

• Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.

• Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.

Rheem Water Heaters Company Information