3.7/5 (591 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Rheem Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rheem Water Heaters?

Original review: May 21, 2022

On 2014 I installed a Rheem water heater. Throughout the years the pilot kept going out and I would light it. Couple of months ago it started going out every day. Told the landlord. This water heater has an electrical pilot. The pilot and burner are seal and you are not suppose to work on it unless you are qualified to do so. The landlord told me he was going to buy a new because they want too much to fix it. We changed it I decided to take the burner out to see what happen and found that the pilot was not facing the right way and you cannot see it unless you take it apart. Every water heater that I haved work on the pilot is facing the burner or close to it. Has anyone had the same problem

Original review: April 27, 2022

Would not recommend this product to anyone. They changed their policy since buying. The defective tank must be returned to store. You must pay the difference in price. Rude people. Do not want to listen to you.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2022

We bought this Rheem water heater because of all the good reviews everywhere. One year and one month after the installation, we had a short circuit, because of a leak in the lower element. Electrician and plumber were required, as Rheem warranty is void after one year (we thought 10 years when we bought, but no, just one…). So it had been repaired and we changed the element. 6 months later, another leak appeared from the same place. Repaired again. Now for the third time, a leak bean. So after two years and a half, as the warranty is void and service very so so, we have to buy another heater… Extremely disappointing.

Original review: April 17, 2022

Water heater less than a year old keeps freezing up and high discharge alarm. Call customer service. Keeps disconnected. I have called over 10 time. Last time they told me there’s no one in my area to work on it. They would call me when there was 6 weeks ago. Just really tried of this junk company.

Original review: April 4, 2022

I have used Rheem for many years in all the houses I have owned but when a product of theirs is damaged it is a problem because they do not want to cover the guarantee. They always look for excuses not to cover the guarantee of the products and as a client they try to sell the most expensive parts.

Original review: April 2, 2022

My Rheem 50 gallon water heater started leaking after 4 years and was replaced. Rheem refused to honor the their warranty, mind you the heater broke after 4 years! We also have a water softener to mitigate leak issues. Left on hold multiple times for long periods. Obviously symptomatic of the many issues with their cheaply made products. Would never buy from this company again and recommend avoiding at all costs. Their reps are not courteous and don’t give a crap. Rheem wanted me to bring back the broken water heater to the place of purchase. Of course the previous plumber who installed it bought it so no clue where they purchased. Why would I need to return a broken water heater??? Answer, to make it difficult for customers to get compensated. The warranty is terrible and not worth the paper it's printed on but more importantly, the water heater broke after only 4 years. Terrible product, customer service and terrible company.

Original review: March 30, 2022

Purchased new tankless water heater from Rheem has never worked. Been on phone daily troubleshooting. 2 new parts replaced later and still NO hot water and not getting resolution from this company. I will never purchase a Rheem product again.

Original review: March 4, 2022

I purchased a new Rheem water heater in December of 2021, 3 weeks later the electrical heating control unit failed per plumber's diagnosis. He recommended exchanging and installing another water heater. Home Depot was great about the exchange but Plummer said I would have to pay for the labor as he has had problems in the past getting paid by some manufacturers. So I paid him and then filled a claim with Rheem get reimburse... I'm still waiting on my money and they are not responding to any of my emails. :-(

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

Unfortunately my experience mimics that of others. I thought that I was buying a reputable 50 gallon high efficiency hot water tank costing me a total of $2,059. My tank was manufactured 3/31/2021. I haven't had it a year yet and we are out of hot water. I called this evening the first call in waited 1hr 27 just for someone to answer and immediately hangs up. I mean before she could finish her greeting she stop speaking, made some type of gesture with her mouth then hung up. So I call again and just like the first call I held on waiting for 52mins, someone finally answered just to tell me, "Oh hold on. I have to transfer you to technical support." So I held on for another 49mins. Now this is the good part, someone finally answered just to tell me she has to send a referral to the technicians and they will call to me to schedule a service call.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I purchased a brand new Rheem natural gas tank water heater in October of 2020 and last week we lost hot water. I called Rheem customer service on Thursday and they said we need a new gas valve, it'll be delivered in two business days. We go all weekend with no hot water, showering at work and the gym. Monday rolls around and still no part. I call again yesterday and there is no order placed under my name!!! After we get the order squared away I ask if someone is going to come and install this new part and they told me a service contract we had expired in Sept. 2021.

I told them since they screwed us and didn't place our order the first time they should come install this for us anyways and they said THEY CAN'T. It's now the next day, I haven't gotten an email that the part has shipped and there's no tracking number. I call once again and they said yup, it hasn't shipped yet and left me hanging. WE ARE GOING ON ONE WEEK OF NO HOT WATER. I'm doing you a favor, do not buy Rheem! They're so useless and unhelpful and don't care.

Rheem Water Heaters author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rheem offers a wide variety of residential water heaters including gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless. Each water heater has Rheem’s National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) advantage meaning maximized performance and minimized footprint.

• Types: Rheem offers gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, point-of-use, solar and tankless water heaters with capacities ranging from 20-gallons to 120-gallons.

• Point-of-use: Point-of-use water heaters are designed to fit under sinks or detached structures and can deliver hot water almost immediately. Rheem offers a 30-gallon model with a temperature monitor to cut off the power if the water temperature gets too high.

• Tankless systems: For consumers looking for a tankless water heater, Rheem offers a variety of different capacity systems. Rheem designed its tankless water heaters to provide hot water to operate three appliances at the same time for an extended period. Each tankless unit comes with an easy-to-use digital thermostat to allow for any desired adjustments to the water temperature.

• Commercial tankless units: Rheem has four models of tankless water heaters for commercial use. Each unit comes with a high temperature chip option that increases the output water temperature by 45-degrees. All four models are said to be 84-94 percent efficient.

• Warranties: Each Rheem water heater comes with a limited warranty. Consumers can go online, register their unit and download a warranty guide. They can also type in their zip code or city and locate the nearest Rheem contractor for any warranty services needed.

Rheem Water Heaters Company Information