4.7/5 (274 ratings)

About RainSoft Water Treatment Systems

RainSoft manufacturers and sells water conditioning and water filtration systems for residential customers. A water expert can visit your home for a free water analysis. RainSoft offers solutions for whole-home hard water conditioning to improve bathing, washing dishes and doing laundry. The company also focuses on drinking water solutions to improve water taste and clarity.

Pros

• Referral program
  • Limited lifetime warranty
  • Free in-home water analysis
  • Energy-efficient options

Cons

• No salt-free softeners
  • Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

RainSoft offers traditional, salt-based water softeners and drinking water carbon filtration systems. Customers can visit the website to schedule a free in-home water analysis and find a local dealer to get a quote.

Top RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Verified

We did a home water test through our town and RainSoft tagged our mailbox… The guy who came out was very knowledgeable and professional. He showed us everything we needed to see a...

Verified

So far, everything is working out very good with our RainSoft… My husband and I decided that we wanna try it out. And so far, we love it. The sales rep was very good and helpful. ...

What is RainSoft?

RainSoft produces water conditioning and water filtration systems intended for the whole home or a single point of use. The company offers a free in-home water analysis for those unsure of what they need in their homes.

RainSoft offers three water softener systems that address hard water issues:

• The EC5 is a premium, computer-controlled, whole-home water softener system that is available in various configurations to fit your needs. It connects to the RainSoft Remind app for low salt notifications and filter change reminders. The system automatically responds to your water use, and the computer control saves water, salt and electricity.
  • The EC5-CAB system saves on salt and water consumption by using shorter cycles based on home water use. It comes with an easy-to-read display and distinctive alarm tones. You can customize the system’s functions to fit your family’s needs, and it's designed to deliver an uninterrupted supply of conditioned water.
  • The TC-M series is available in various configurations to fit your home. It's energy-efficient and self-cleaning, and the high flow rates deliver a consistent supply of water.

For drinking water purification, RainSoft offers:

• The Ultrefiner II is RainSoft’s premium drinking water system. It uses three high-quality, multistage filters to purify tap water and remove small particles, lead, copper, chromium, VOC and chlorine. It comes with a lead-free faucet. The cartridge is interchangeable, which creates less waste than systems that require the whole filter to be removed.
  • The Hydrefiner II reduces chlorine and other particles that cause bad taste and odors. Each cartridge treats up to 830 gallons of water.

RainSoft also sells problem-specific filters to address individual water issues and systems, including the CleanStart laundry system, which oxidizes tap water to disinfect clothes.

How does the RainSoft system work?

RainSoft water conditioner systems soften water for the whole home using a salt-based ion exchange process powered by electricity. The systems are installed where the water enters your home from the municipal supply. Some systems are designed to provide a continuous supply of softened water, while others have computerized controls that respond to your family’s water use and produce softened water on demand.

While many of the models have self-cleaning and regeneration cycles, most also require filter changes, adding salt and some maintenance. Models come with replacement reminder alarms or connect to an app that alerts you when the system needs attention.

RainSoft water softener cost

RainSoft doesn’t disclose its water softener prices on its website. Its products are available for purchase through local dealers, so if you’re interested in buying a RainSoft system, contact a local dealer for a free in-home water analysis and quote.

RainSoft FAQ

How long do RainSoft water softeners last?
RainSoft water softeners are built to last for years. All systems come with a limited lifetime warranty. You or your service provider will need to replace filters or cartridges and perform maintenance on the system.
Does RainSoft remove lead?
RainSoft water filtration systems that employ carbon filters, such as the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, remove lead. Water softeners do not remove lead.
Does RainSoft remove chlorine?
RainSoft’s drinking water systems, the Ultrefiner II and Hydrefiner II, reduce chlorine using carbon filtration. RainSoft water softeners do not remove chlorine.

Is RainSoft worth it?

RainSoft offers several solutions for home water softening and drinking water filtration and has systems that can be combined for maximum performance. For customers experiencing multiple water issues, a RainSoft water expert helps determine the problems and customize a home system configured to solve them all.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft Water Treatment Systems?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RainSoft - a Pentair Company?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

The rep from RainSoft said that she was giving me this price but once she walks out the door, he couldn’t give me this price again. So, it was a high-pressure sale and very expensive, and we didn't get to shop around. But the rep was following the process she was taught to follow. I've been in sales most of my life so I get it. I loved her and had a blast with her. She was funny and we were like minded so we had lots of sidebar conversations and laughing and joking and carrying on. She was wonderful.

The system takes up a lot of space underneath our kitchen sink because we did the double filter system for the drinking water. But it's not a big deal. We even took the filter for the ice and cold water out of the refrigerator because our refrigerator can run without it and it was almost like the filter that's in the fridge ruined the expensive filtered water. We constantly had stuff floating in our water from the ice melting before we got the system. We don't now. Ice stays nice and clear. I’ve noticed the difference in how the water feels. There are 15 years’ worth of water deposits on my last shower door and I couldn't get it off. But now, I don't have any new water deposits anywhere.

I'm very glad that we got the system with all the crap in the water everywhere. We even saw it and I feel better that I'm drinking filtered water. But RainSoft’s price is still way too expensive. The pressure got to us and we didn't want to be drinking any more of that water that we just saw tested. Also, last minute, they threw in all these free products that you can get from this other company that say "natural" until you read the label and realize there are chemicals in there. I don't like most of the free products that they've given. They smell chemically and one of the products burned a hole in my clothes. So, even though the label says these are natural products and the title of the products has natural in it, it’s not. They are just mostly natural.

Get buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2021

The gentleman that came out laid the out what product was. He took some samples from my water and was able to explain to me how dirty it was. I knew it was dirty. It was all rusty- and brown-looking. It stunk like sulfur. There was no way I would have drank that water. In fact, I didn't even like to shower in it. We raise standard poodles as well, and we wouldn't even let them drink the water. It was nasty. The gentleman offered the product that we can buy to make my water usable and it came out to 100 bucks a month. It was very expensive, but compared to driving to an artesian well all the time to get our own water, it's not that bad. I can stay at home and not have to spend three hours chasing down water twice a week.

I had a good experience with RainSoft. The people didn't jack you around at all. The gentleman that did the installation couldn't quite get it all done in one day because it was working into after dark hours that they were working on it. He came back the next day and finished it off just like he said he would. After the installation, we noticed a 100% difference. We have clean water now, even if we don't get it through the filter on the sink itself. That's where I use it for drinking water. I still don't use the other just because I'm leery, but our dogs can drink the other without a problem. The water is clean enough that we went ahead and we just made a purchase on a hot tub. Whereas before, there was no way we would have tried filling a hot tub that we're going to get in and sit down in.

I've got three tanks that are right off my pump house and then inside the house, I did the double filter. It was a good buy. I've had friends go, "God. How much you’re gonna pay to get a filter?" They didn't understand how bad the water was. Not being able to use the water on the property I live on makes my property worthless to me. The way I look at it, not only am I saving money running back and forth to a well to gather drinking water, but I've raised the value of my property should I want to sell it.

Original review: May 29, 2021

The guy that came out from RainSoft was knowledgeable. The crew that came out the first time was good. But I've had the crews out 3 or 4 times already because I've been going through a lot of problems with the softener. Hopefully, this kind of resolves some of the problems. But the water's great. It's soft and the system's working really good. My wife and I like it. I'm glad I did it. I should have done it 26 years ago because that's how long I've been out there where I live. I'm up in the hill country and the water is terrible up there. There's a lot of calcium in it.

There are some things that I'm still not happy with RainSoft, like the shelter that they put on. They were at my house 3 days ago and moved it from where they first installed it to further down from the side of my house. The only thing I don't like is if I have to put salt or check the system on how much I'm using, I have to remove all of that. There are no doors on there to open up and that shelter is heavy. Now, they've put two shelters because everything was exposed on the outside. I had told them about that already. For me to take the most expensive system and spend over $10,000 for that, I shouldn't have to be moving all this stuff. They should come out and put doors on it. I have to take the roof off, which is going to consist of me and my wife doing, then I have to move the whole shelter back. Whenever I need salt, I got to do that. I'm gonna have to do that also for the bleach container because that's got a separate shelter on it too.

I had a leak a few weeks later and they fixed it. The quality assurance lady came out. I told her, "We're not going in the house. I want to show you everything that's done back here at my house, what they installed." She came back there and said, "I'm not even happy looking at this." She took a bunch of pictures. I asked, "What are you going to do with these pictures?" She told me she was going to send them to corporate and I'd be hearing back from them. I've got hard lines that go on the outside and I can't have this stuff tapped into my hard lines because I've got a big koi pond and didn't want none of that stuff killed. They said it doesn't kill this stuff. Plus, that bleach container kept kicking on when we were putting the outside lines. When they were here a few days ago, they put a brand-new module. The one that was on it was bad but that took care of that.

Original review: April 20, 2021

We have been a RainSoft consumer owner since we first moved in our house about 20 years ago. We needed a new development and there was a salesman that came through. We had a demo on it and we kind of looked at the unit and then we had it installed. We went through some water testing with it. We were able to see where it did have some residual materials in it that was causing surface tension issues with the water.

The first time we had a unit was like an eye opening because we had just moved into our new home. That was more like testing of the water and going through some different things. We looked at adding a surfactant. That set us on the path to think about really putting something in for our whole house water management. Then we just recently replaced that original unit because we got to a point where the filters were no longer functioning properly. I didn't receive any information or mail about having any kind of checkups. So, I got in touch with our local dealer at that point, which turned out to really be a good move, because they came out, took a look at what we had and we were able to upgrade our system and maintain it. I don’t want to stick with the same system that we've gotten into. I wanted one that's going to allow me a little more flexibility so I don't have to do reverse osmosis and cleaning every week.

Since we've had the new unit, we did cut back on some of our laundry detergents. The most noticeable thing right now is that we feel like we're using it a little more efficiently. We had a unit where we have both the main water line coming into the filtration unit with the solar salt. Then we had the second reverse osmosis tank, where you kind of run off and then that goes into your drinking water and everything. The guy that came in was pretty informative. He did a great job of converting that system with very minimal impact on our day-to-day things. He got in. He was able to get the tank removed out and then get the entire system replaced with minimal impact to changing our schedule and getting us up and running. We were at a point where our water flow was really being inhibited because of the coconut shell and stuff like that that goes into that filter system. The main unit was pretty much sludgy.

We had gotten our money's worth out of it for not knowing that there was any kind of yearly checkup kind of maintenance that you're supposed to do. The guy showed us everything. He talked me through everything. He didn't have to upsell me on anything, but he did provide what some of the benefits were going to be if we did look at improving the system to where we are now. We could have stuck with what we had and just replace the filters. But I really felt it was the right thing to do when I talked to him with his experiences.

We've been very satisfied with the system itself. We do the refrigeration unit where we've got the water running in for drinking water. We don't use it through the sink anymore, but you can tell a difference in the reverse osmosis system with drinking water. It's not that our sink water isn't drinkable. You can tell there's a little bit of just a purity difference in it when you do drink it. We're noticing how different the water is with some of the neighbor's houses just like the water we get out of our sink that we use for cooking.

Original review: March 15, 2021

The lady that came with was very knowledgeable about the product, and she gave a good presentation. She was very respectful of our home and very nice. We knew our water was bad. We knew it was very hard. Our water didn't taste that bad, but I could see evidence with our water fixtures, and a lot of our clear glassware were getting hazy-looking. But for me, as long as the drinking water didn't stink and it's clear, it was probably good to drink.

The lady from RainSoft that was here was aghast that we would even consider drinking tap water. But we would run water through the Britta and keep it in the refrigerator. We buy bottled water also. And I just never thought too much about it. We fully expected that that would be the sales pitch. ”Your water sucks and you need to buy a water system.” The whole time she was talking, though, I kept thinking, “How much is this going to cost?" It was a guessing game in my mind as to what the price tag would be which we didn't find out until the end. But we bought it.

She came and brought her little system so we could taste our current water and the purified water. She even did an interesting thing. She knew that we were wine enthusiasts. And she said, “Okay, give me two of your wine glasses.” We had some wine open. She said, “Okay, you've got some open. Let's just taste it.” We drank some wine out of the glass out of the cabinet. And then she washed the glass and we drank the same wine. It didn’t taste the same. It tasted better because of the junk that was on the wine glass. Also, the soap is what makes it affordable because you get all this soap for free. We had a lot of cleaning products and soap. We have to use up what we had. But laundry detergent we're getting for free until our points are used up, which will take four years to do so. And we don't buy bottled water and cleaners anymore.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

The installation of my RainSoft went great. I bought the unit and they installed it the same day. Everything's working fine. The water seems to be better.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

The water softening aspect of the system is outstanding. I don't see any more buildup on the fixtures and no more rings around inside the toilets like when they sit for a while. Also, when we shower, the water feels silky and when we wash our hair, we rinse longer because it feels too slippery. The RainSoft system softened the water like crazy. The other thing is the drinking water at the tap. I did the reverse osmosis and the water is so much lighter. It's much better than the filtered water that I was getting from my refrigerator. Also, the CleanStart works really well. I'm using less and I'm using only cold water so I can mix colors and whites, which saves me from having to do two loads. The whites are cleaner.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Since having RainSoft installed, I don't need to use nearly the detergents or soap. Much easier to clean things. The skin and hair love it. I don't have to nearly put on the amount of moisturizer that I used to. Everybody was also really nice, professional, answered all my questions when I had them, and so I was very impressed with them. Overall, it's a great experience.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

We had only been in this home for probably three days when the salesman came and did his testing. He was very knowledgeable and informative, and we were impressed. The softener was installed almost immediately. The installation itself was good, except the guy didn’t come until about 9:00 at night. Then, he told us that he was going to fill the water softener with salt but he failed to do that. We had to call him back and probably a week later, we got the salt. Since having the softener installed, the water seems softer when you’re washing dishes. It doesn't take as much soap and it seems to rinse better. When you take a shower, your body feels cleaner. RainSoft is expensive but the system works well. People should get it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

The installers of RainSoft were fabulous and very nice. I'm very pleased with them. I had to have my drinking system removed because they were redoing my kitchen. The gentleman came out, removed it and put it in a safe place. He said, “We’ll be back to reinstall it when your kitchen’s done.” They were very easy to work with and accommodating, too.

RainSoft Water Treatment Systems Company Information