2. Homeowners
  3. Vacuum Cleaners

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.74/5

Rainbow Vacuum Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rainbow Vacuum?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rainbow Vacuum?

Original review: July 30, 2020

I see some people dislike their rainbow vacuums, but my experience using and owning a rainbow is a positive one and I've owned 2 over the past 40 years. No bags to buy, works great on carpet and on flat bare floors, and of course you can vacuum up water with them. Keeping the water basin clean after each use makes a very big difference in keeping the motor fresh and clean, which allows the air going into the room fresh and clean. You can add a scent to the water like a drop of spearmint oil and it makes the air smell even nicer. I have not once had any failures with a rainbow, they are well made, although I do not own one of their newest models, but family members do and they have had no problems at all, I love my Rainbow!

Original review: May 24, 2020

I purchased system a month ago. I rate my sales person as a 5 star. She gave a thorough demonstration of the system and what it could do, did not try to pressure me into enrolling in the program to earn a free system when I declined, did not pressure me to purchase the night of the demonstration, returned my texts promptly while I negotiated my contract terms. The SYSTEM is amazing. I have used every tool that has come with it and my 60 year old house is clean and fresh. While it is bulky and not for someone only interested in hitting the high spots, if you want one machine that can truly do it all this one is it. It works on water and HEPA filtration, so the water tank has to be cleaned out after each use, and reset with fresh sanitizer and fragrance (optional).

The air wash mode sounds like a plane in your house but in 30 Minutes you appreciate the noise as your air is fresh and clean. Running it on the lowest level 24/7 makes a low hum and keeps the air clean in between washes. This one machine replaced my vacuum, my shop vac, my hard floor duster and my hardfloor power cleaner as well as my Rug shampooer. I haven’t used the broom in a month! A closet full of machines reduced down to a shelf of accessories. Yes it is pricey. But worth every penny of the purchase price. Totally sold on this machine.

Get buying tips about Vacuum Cleaners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I have had Rainbow vacuums since 1979. I currently have the E2 type 12 Black and it better than the last E series that I have had since 1999. I am on my 3rd one and it is the best vacuum I have ever used. I have had pets and it is the only choice for a vacuum if you have them. It is costly but worth the money. The water filter is the best as it keeps the exhaust exceptionally clean and does not disperse it back into the air. If you have allergies this is the only machine in my opinion.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I have used and owned MANY vacuums in my 50 years of life. We received the in-home demonstration for the Rainbow with no intention of buying, but planning to enjoy the free room air purifier. The cleaning this machine offers is far SUPERIOR to anything I have ever seen or used! The unit doesn't utilize a bag to trap the dirt, but water, and I've never seen a clean like it. An added bonus in that it freshens the air in your home as it cleans. The retail price is high, nearly $3000.00, but they offer incentives and discounts. There is a 15-year warranty standard on the machine, but I personally know people that have had their vacuum for over 25 years and it still works as well as the day they bought it! When it comes to vacuums it is best to choose quality of quantity, so choose Rainbow!

Original review: April 26, 2020

I’ve been a Rainbow vacuum owner and promoter since 1992. I bought a used one for $300. Had problems with fleas & dust before that purchase and never again. I ended up buying a new one about 5-years because I broke a piece of the old one. My family & friends who have other popular brands borrow my Rainbow for a “thorough” cleaning. Pricey but worth it. Some friends are in their 5+ vacuum purchases. I’m on 2.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I purchased November 2019, here in Greece. February 2020 arrived. Serius problems.

1. Many times at startup there is problem with the 10 amp electrical panel relay. Serious problem. The SRX get more than 10 amp and cut off electricity.
      2. The air outlet is very strong and parallel with the floor and is not very good for your health.
      3. The nozzle is not working, not cleaning well as the model E2 who I ve got. And blocked lot of times on carpet. The distributor replaced the main electronic board.

4. The serious problem is the electrical panel relay. In every startup I've got problem with the electric power.

I have got many videos with the problems, if you want to see.

Original review: July 1, 2020

A friend sent me a simple form to fill out and a picture of a Rainbow. Says it's free, file the form and I did. I got a call later and he said I'm not qualified. Later another person called to say the same but, "You are considered". He showed up with big box and the rainbow I saw in the picture and told me he is going to demonstrate, demo turned out to be the big machine in the box. Then turned to become a vacuum. At the end destroyed my Dormeo mattress which is just equivalent to the big machine. He was very much concerned about the machine not my property destroyed.

After everything he then again, "Because you are not married you are not qualified". I asked him, "Why did you show up if I am not qualified." His answers was company policy. I said to him I do not even know about any vacuum or demo. He went away without concern of the damage cause in my house. Zero rating even though machine look amazing. Regretful and disappointed.

Original review: June 15, 2020

Have had my Rainbow for a yr, as I purchased for having a whole lot of carpet. Since then, I have moved to 2 rooms of carpet. Anyway, the power nozzle stopped working and when I called to see if it's covered, was told that I will have to drive an hour out of my way to find out. I am spending $4k on this and nobody is willing to come to me, waste of money and stuck! Would be different if they could send a tech out to look. It's like with my washer/dryer that I pay, if I have problem, someone comes out!

Original review: June 9, 2020

I’ll make this short and to the point. Anyone that has purchased a Rainbow knows how the demonstration go. My main purpose of getting this machine was because I have pets and I made that very clear, several times during the visit. My salesman was a guy named Josh, from the Rainbow system business in Columbus Ga. I had several issues with him during this whole ordeal, but he didn’t care because he had done made the sell. So our first time using the vacuum through out the entire house was a nightmare, not only was it heavy, but continued to get clogged up over and over. So you have to stop, turn it off, take the pieces off, clean all around the areas and hope you have gotten it all, or you have to do it again.

During this time, I’m texting Josh, the salesmen telling him what’s going on, and guess what!!! No response, none, nothing. For the cost of this machine it should suck a whole in the wall, but instead gets clogged up with dog hair! I mean really! The main reason I got it! And it can’t even do what I got it for. I’ve tried emailing the company, haven’t heard a word from them! So if any of your friends or family speak of a Rainbow, tell them to run. Don’t get in a $3000 loan for a piece of crap!

Original review: June 2, 2020

A friend of mine asked if my husband and I would participate in a Rainbow Vacuum demonstration. We agreed. The demonstration went fine. We agreed to purchase a Rainbow Vacuum on the 12 showing and 2 purchases. We went through The Rainbow Financial to finance the vacuum. We were rushed through the whole process. When I would ask what the total was. The rep would dance around my question. Later after everything settled down I got out what paper work was left. As I was looking over the contract, barely able to make out the numbers. I make out the total of $ 4895.00. I look at my husband, I asked him if he knew how much he was paying for the vacuum if we could not pull off the 12 shoes and 2 sales.

The next day I started contacting friends to see if any would like to participate. All said no money was tight because of covid-19. One even told me she had hers Rainbow for sale. So my husband and I decided to cancel our purchase. Upon reading the contract it stated that we had 3 days to take the contract to REXAIR to cancel the contract. Now at the bottom of the REXAIR CONTRACT SAYS.

You may cancel contract without Penalty or obligation. My husband took the copy of the contract to Rexair as was stated in the contract. Also stated in the contract was The seller is responsible for picking up the merchandise within 20 day OR if you wish comply with the seller's wishes. My Husband was called at work by Rexair and told that if he did not bring the merchandise to their store that they would not cancel the contract. The representatives of Rexair spoke very ugly to my husband and hung up on him. Needless to say this whole situation has made where I will not bother with ever purchasing a Rainbow Vacuum ever again.

Rainbow Vacuum author review by ConsumerAffairs

Rainbow vacuums are manufactured by Rexair LLC, an American company founded in 1932. Rexair rebranded its vacuums as Rainbow in the 1950s and continues to use the name.

• Water washing: Rainbow vacuums use water to clean floors naturally.

• Available attachments: Owners can add attachments for cleaning refrigerator coils, upholstery and small spaces.

• Fewer pollutants: Rainbow vacuums are certified by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers to remove pollutants from the air.

• Parts and supplies: Consumers can purchase parts and supplies from Rainbow's website.

• Worldwide distribution: Rainbow partners with distributors all over the world to make buying its vacuums more convenient.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team