2. Homeowners
  3. Cookware Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.09/5

Pyrex Cookware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2010

I exploded like a bomb. All I did was still my gratin potatoes and boom! My daughter was in her room with the radio on and heard it. It was in a million small pieces all over my kitchen. It cut and burned me, too. I'm scared to ever use this product again. I'm so glad I didn't ask my daughter to stir the potatoes. It could have been a lot worse. We had to take the door off the oven and we had to clean the whole kitchen and oven. I got burns from the hot potatoes on my feet and cuts to my knee and feet. It was a huge mess.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2010

Took Pyrex dish out of the oven with ribs in it that had cooked at 375, set it on the counter top on a hot pad and when my friend walked away from it the dish exploded! It cut her foot and burnt the entire kitchen floor and counter top! The linoleum in the kitchen will have to be replaced as it burnt it leaving shards of glass melted into it. The counter top will need replaced. We just moved into this house and are renting so we are obligated to replace it!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2010

I set my gas oven to 400F and placed a previously prepared frozen two chicken breasts, asparagus wrapped inside. The chicken was wrapped in a tinfoil. I placed this wrapped in tinfoil chicken dish in the lid of my pyrex dish. I was by the kitchen sink when I heard what sounded like a crash. I looked around, then opened the oven to find the Pyrex dish had shattered. I am happy to report that I had not opened the stove door when this happened.

My stove was a mess, with the pieces of glass falling down the bottom panel. I cleaned up with a brush and dust pan. Some pieces could not be reached as I have to take the stove door off to take the bottom panel out. I was able to rescue my chicken dish as it was wrapped in foil and not perforated. When I did put my chicken dish back in the oven on a metal cookie sheet, the pieces I could not reach broke again making a popping crash noise. I have been using my pyrex dishes many years as they were probably given or purchased as shower or wedding gifts almost 30-40 years ago. My question is if I should be using these pyrex dishes. I could have been injured.

Economically, I am afraid to use the pyrex dishes, and will need to purchase something different. A few months ago, I did purchased two new casserole dishes so I could prepare meals to freeze, then cook. I will need to purchase a more reliable cooking vessel.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2010

I had one of your 9x13 glass cake pan explode in my oven. The pan shattered in a million pieces within minutes of being placed in the oven. It contained brownie mix so needless to say it was extremely messy and dangerous to clean. I have had the bakeware for a couple of years and have other bakeware made by Pyrex but am now hesitant to use them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2010

I was melting butter on the stovetop in a Pyrex measuring cup. I have done this many times before with my older Pyrex measuring cup. The butter was almost fully melted when I heard a loud pop and the Pyrex measuring cup exploded into small tiny pieces all over the cook top, floor and counters. Fortunately, I was not standing close to the stove. Otherwise, I could have been seriously injured by the glass as well as hot liquid. I recently purchased the measuring cup since my original one, bought in 1983, had very faded measurement markings. Too bad I gave it away.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2010

I purchased my Pyrex dish about 10 months ago. I used it twice for Jello salads. On Thursday night, I used my Pyrex dish for the third time. It was on my counter next to the stove. The chicken I had boiled was finished. I pulled the pieces out of the pot one by one and put them in the Pyrex dish. The Pyrex dish was not on the stove top and it was not touching the pot where I had boiled the chicken. The Pyrex was on the counter and close to the pot. The Pyrex dish was at room temperature and had been on the counter while the chicken was boiling in the pot on the stove.

After the chicken pieces were in the dish, I turned around to get something from the sink. In a matter of seconds, I heard a loud pop behind me. When I turned around, there was glass everywhere. The Pyrex dish had shattered. There were pieces of glass all over the floor, the counter, & some pieces had even popped up into the pot where I had cooked the chicken. If I had not turned around to grab something, I would have been standing in front of the Pyrex dish & been hurt as glass went flying everywhere.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2010

I was making a homemade mac and cheese dish last night in my 9X13 Pyrex dish that I have had for 15 years. After melting butter in the dish, I set it on top of my stove and as I was adding the 4th cup of milk, I heard this loud pop/exploding sound and glass flew everywhere. The pieces were so tiny, almost like it disintegrated the entire pan before my eyes. I have cuts all over my hands and feet from the glass splinters. I am still cleaning the microscopic glass shards from my kitchen. The pieces flew as far as the patio door (about 13 ft) from the stove.

I am just shocked. I have been able to take this dish from my freezer with lasagna and place it in my oven no problem. It didn't have any cracks, chips or defects. When explaining to a friend what happened, she referred me to the internet where I am reading thousands of stories just like this. I am appalled that I didn't know this could happen. I could have been hurt a lot worse than the cuts on my hands, feet and the small splinter of glass still lodged in my leg.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2010

I was using a brand new Pyrex glass pie dish to make dessert for my mom's birthday. After the dessert was done baking, I removed it from the oven and as I was putting it on the stove top, the glass exploded, sending glass all over my kitchen. Broken glass pieces were all over my kitchen and even in my oven since I hadn't shut the door yet. My hand was cut; thankfully none of my kids were injured. The dessert I had spent over an hour making from scratch was ruined as was other food nearby as it too had glass in it.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2010

I took a square glass baking dish out of the cabinet and poured a coffee cake mix into the dish. I then put it into a 350 degree oven for 38 minutes. At 36 minutes, the dish exploded in the oven. I have the dish and pictures of it in the oven. I have used this dish several times to make potatoes au gratin and cakes. Other than the dish, thank God no one was hurt and I do not see any damage to my oven.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2010

My 12 year old Pyrex glass 9x13 baking dish exploded in my oven while roasting a split turkey breast the other night. I have used this pan with no issues since I got married. As far as I know, there was no damage to the glass prior to using it that night. Only half way through cooking the meat, I heard a loud "pop"/exploding sound coming from the kitchen. The meat (completely thawed prior to cooking) had been roasting (with a foil cover) for 15 minutes at 425, then the oven was turned down to 350.

After about 15-20 minutes at 350 is when I heard this noise, my meat was only half cooked. I opened my oven to find that the Pyrex glass baking dish had completely exploded & broken into many shards, large and small, all over my oven. The turkey grease then dripped onto the bottom of my oven, where it caught fire on the heating elements. I turned the oven off & kept the door closed until the flames went out. I waited for everything to cool completely before removing glass from oven.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2010

When I married in 1985, I bought several pieces of corning and Pyrex glass bakeware. Over the years, I bought additional or replaced pieces that were misplaced at potluck meals or broken when dropped. In the last 2 or 3 years, I have had a 9x13 pan explode in the oven and ruin a beef roast (nothing was done to it, it had been in the oven over an hour already, no liquid added, nothing touched, just boom!) and another round casserole I picked off the oven shelf to find that bottom had cracked around the circular edge. The body of the casserole picked up but the bottom of the dish stayed on the shelf, pouring out the contents on my oven bottom. I have had several of their newer custard cups crack also, but my older ones (size is slightly different so I can tell) have not cracked even though 25 yrs old.

I will not buy Pyrex again. I know several women who have had the same experience. Perhaps in the rush to manufacture everything cheaper or in China, maybe they have subcontracted out the manufacture. If they have not changed from borosilicate to soda ash glass recently, then they have changed the process, subbed it out or hired a bunch of idiots in their factory. I know many people who won't buy Pyrex anymore. World Kitchen can protest all they want to, but they have changed Pfaltzgraff, made the wall construction thinner, some parts smaller so old lids no longer fit new dishes or vice versa, mixed place settings no longer match and cheapened the Revere pans. I know because I have the old series also. I think they have done the same thing to Pyrex.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2010

Baked potatoes were cooking in my blue glass Pyrex baking dish and it exploded in the oven. This is a dish I had been using for two years.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2010

In 1968, I was given a full set of brown and white Pyrex bowls and baking dishes of all sizes, many with lids. I have used them since then! A couple weeks ago, I took a 1 1/2 qt rectangle baking dish with lid from the oven, removed the lid and turned to place the dish onto our table and heard a loud pop! I turned around to see the lid exploded into shards of glass, big and small on the counter and onto the floor. There was no injury to anyone but I cannot find a replacement. I am very sad this occurred. Can you tell me where to get a replacement? It was a clear lid that fit up or down on or into the dish and had ribs in the glass. Please advise at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2010

I took a Pyrex bowl with mac and cheese out of oven and while cooling, it simply exploded sending shrapnel all over the kitchen and guests. There were no injuries but just an unmitigated mess.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2010

On September 3, 2010, a clear glass Pyrex (R) lid (labeled Pyrex on the side) for an oval 2.5 quart white Corning ware (R) dish shattered with a "bang" sound into many glass shards resulting in about 5 cuts to the skin. This was purchased new, roughly 5 years ago. My concern is how it broke into many sharp shards of various sizes and shapes, from several inches long to tiny pieces.

I do not recall "Pyrex" glass ever breaking this way before, or the loud "bang" sound of shattering into so many sharp irregular sized pieces. I believe the glass cookware is unsafe if it can shatter this way. Has "Pyrex" glass cookware always been this hazardous? Somehow, I perceived "Pyrex" as a safer type of glass designed for kitchen use. Is there a technology for making safer glass cookware? I had cuts to the skin, and difficult clean-up. I was lucky to be a few feet away when it broke. Glass flew everywhere from an apparent fall of only about a foot. My curiosity as to how glass could travel so far and into so many shards from only a small drop led to my discovering others talking of "exploding" Pyrex glassware sold in USA.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2010

I made homemade meatballs for dinner this evening and used two pans, both Pyrex. The meatballs cooked in the oven for just about an hour. I went to take out the first pan, a pan I have used on a regular basis for the past 5 years since getting the pan, and before I could even set it down on the counter, it exploded in my face. I had bent down to pull out the pan from the oven and did not have a chance to avert my face or set the pan down before it shattered, spraying glass shards six feet across the room.

My daughters were in the kitchen and were missed from being hit by the flying shrapnel but I had two cuts on my arm and got hit (but not cut) underneath my left eye. The glass exploded in and out of the oven, ruining the other pan of meatballs as well. Because the glass flew, we ended up having to throw out the entire meal. I will have to vacuum out my oven just to make sure that all the shards are out of the oven before I cook again.

My kids were traumatized by the explosion and the blood and it was very frustrating to have an entire meal ruined. I have lost my faith in Pyrex. I did not misuse the pan nor set it on a burner nor expose it to extreme temperature changes, yet the pan exploded! I have two cuts on my right arm that are about an inch to an inch and a half long. I got hit in the bottom of my left eye but did not get cut. I did not feed my kids dinner until 8pm as I had to go to town (20 minutes each way) to order out as I could not use the oven until it had cooled completely and been vacuumed out. I have glass shards all over my kitchen and dining room and despite cleaning thoroughly have already found a few tiny shards that were missed. With three young kids, I only hope none of them step on a piece.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2010

Baking pork chops in a 9 X 13 Pyrex casserole dish (it was one that came with my insulated carrying case and had kind of a wavy look to the sides of the casserole bought in the last 10 years or so). Had baked pork chops in the 9 x 13 Pyrex glass casserole dish for 1 hr at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Took the cooked pork chops out of the oven and sat the the glass casserole dish on my room temperature granite countertop. Not right away but within minutes heard a cracking kind of noise and then an explosion. The 9 x 13 Pyrex casserole dish exploded into many different sized pieces of glass as far as 5 feet from it's location. I received a decent cut on the front of my left ankle and had to dig a small glass shard out with a pair of Tweezerman splinter tweezers.

I am a nurse so knew the proper methods to clean the wound and used butterfly strips to hold the cut together. I felt lucky not to have any further injuries. I am 45 years of age and have been baking and cooking for 25+ years and have never experienced anything like this before. I am now afraid to use my Pyrex for baking. Minor cut to left ankle requiring me to use butterfly strips. Obviously a shattered Pyrex 9 x 13 casserole dish, a ruined pork chops for four people and a waste of several hours of my time preparing the pork chops and the time spent after the explosion making sure I had cleaned up all the glass so that my family (husband and 2 daughters) and I would not get hurt and the pork chop mess.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2010

My small square Pyrex baking dish exploded. The unusual thing about the circumstance was that unlike the multitude of stories with the same outcome, my dish did not explode due to extreme or quick temperature change. The morning after baking in it, I had simply hand washed the piece and set it upside down (on a towel) on the counter top to dry. The water was only as hot as what would be comfortable for me to wash by hand in. I used the typical green back sponge and liquid dish soap to help remove the baked on food. Approximately 1/2 hour later, I heard a short crackle sound that caused me to turn my head and look, but I thought nothing of it. Five minutes after that the dish popped into pieces. The pieces were both large and small and all very sharp (unlike what tempered glass should be).

Apparently, these dishes need to be handled with kit gloves. Maybe I will just use our remaining Pyrex dish as a fruit bowl. I myself have witnessed Pyrex dishes explode twice before. So this makes three times for me alone! Geeze! Clearly these occurrences happen astonishingly more than what is reported. How can World Kitchen be getting away with this? By no way shape or form do I feel the dishes are living up to World Kitchens' claims, with or without the fine print. World Kitchen is piggy-backing off of a reputation that was established by Corning and this is totally irresponsible. Change the labeling or stop producing them. That's what I say.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2010

I was baking. I turned it off and it blew up. Glass went all over my kitchen and me.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2010

I washed this Pyrex baking dish and let in over my laminate counter for 2 days. There were no thermal shocks of any magnitude. And still, the dish exploded when I wasn't even near the kitchen (thank God). There are very large pieces of glass and they're extremely sharp. Tempered glass shouldn't do that. I'm starting to think that all these people that had their dishes exploding and got hurt with hot food and sharp glass weren't misusing their products after all. I wasn't physically hurt, but it is clear that these products are not safe anymore. Their quality level decreased substantially. I lost one dish only, but now I'll have to buy substitutes for all my Pyrex bake ware since I can't trust this products anymore.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2010

I recently purchased 4 Pyrex glass storage containers of various sizes to add to my existing collection, which I have had for several years, problem free. Two weeks ago, I prepared a frittata for a picnic dinner. I poured the frittata into a 6 cup rectangular container and placed the Pyrex container into the 350 degree pre-heated oven. About 10 minutes into the baking, I heard a loud bang from the kitchen. I went to check and the Pyrex dish had exploded in the oven, making quite a mess. Tonight I was reheating some shredded pork in the microwave. It was in a 2 cup round Pyrex container. I cooked it on high for 1 minute.

I was surprised to open the microwave and find that the bowl had exploded! Another dinner ruined! The first incident, I considered a fluke. After the second incident, I was ready to blame it on the new batch of Pyrex. After reading the stories and complaints, I see that this is a bigger issue than I had imagined. I too thought that Pyrex was supposed to be safe. Thankfully, no one was injured. After seeing some of the pictures posted, I feel lucky that the mess was contained in the oven. I see it could have been much worse!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2010

I was cooking dinner with my 9x13 glass dish that I have cooked with for years. When I opened the oven to take it out, it exploded all over the inside of the oven and glass is everywhere. If the company had come over, they would see the whole thing that happened and I had to throw away $20.00 worth the meat in the garbage. There was no dinner and an awful mess to clean up.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2010

2001, I used a Pyrex loaf dish and made a meatloaf as I had done 100 times before. Took dish out of oven and set on top of stove, turned around the the dish exploded into 1000 pieces. Did not think anything but a fluke and maybe an old dish. But last Thursday, I baked a tenderloin in a Pyrex baking dish, opened the oven, turned around to grab a knife to cut into it and the dish exploded in the oven, not once but twice leaving only the tenderloin standing on the rack. Luckily no injuries either time.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2010

I just had a Pyrex loaf pan shatter in my oven, while baking four zucchini loaves (all of which are now ruined with glass). It blew with a horrendous blast and glass shards all over the place. All 4 of these Pyrex pans went from the cupboard to the oven - not freezer or even fridge to oven. I could have been severely burned if this had happened while taking the pan out of the oven or just looking into the oven. I thought Pyrex was the safest product, all my baking, lasagna, loaf pans and mixing bowls are Pyrex.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2010

I was cooking some steaks in the oven and they were in there for about 30 minutes. I went to stick my potholder in there and grab the Pyrex pan and it exploded. It cut my arm in three different places and my foot. My son stood up from the table and it cut his foot. The glass shot out like a bomb that went off. This is horrible. This was a 9x13 dish and the biggest piece of glass left was 1 inch. Thank God it didn't get in my eye. I have cooked with this dish a zillion times.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2010

The Pyrex glass pan exploded inside oven and made a huge mess inside the oven and ruined dinner.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2010

I had used my 9x13 Pyrex dish many times before this incident. Tonight I placed a pork loin into my Pyrex dish and put it in a 425 degree oven. Eight minutes into cooking I hear an explosion. I open my oven to find tiny pieces of glass everywhere and my pork loin lying on the oven rack. So glad nobody was around and the oven door was closed tightly when it happened. Beware!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2010

I would like to withdraw my complaint. I was able to speak with a representative at Pyrex who explained that Pyrex bakeware cannot be preheated empty because of the heat distribution. Pyrex is sending me a replacement bowl free of charge and I am very satisfied with this outcome.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2010

Yesterday, I went to bake bread as usual. I prepared the dough, and after it had risen, I preheated my 4qt Pyrex bowl in a 450F oven. It had been sitting at room temperature prior to being preheated. Once the dough had risen a second time, I placed it in the bowl. A second later, the bowl exploded. That sounds dramatic, but I can't think of a better word to describe it. Hundreds of glass shards littered the inside of the oven and the entire kitchen, and I still don't know how I didn't get hurt.

I'm still furious. The bowl wasn't scratched, cracked or flawed, it had come to temperature slowly and hadn't even been close to cold before preheating. I've made bread this way half a dozen times with no issue. Now I'm nervous to use any of my Pyrex bakeware, since I have no idea whether that will explode too. Granted, I've used it for years without issue, but when I can't even point to something I could have done wrong to warrant such an accident, how can I trust it?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2010

I baked brownies in my 8 inch square pan Thursday night without an incident. Then Friday, my boyfriend was boiling water in a pot, with the brownies on an adjacent burner, and the pan exploded into large and tiny glass shards! How is a pan that should be fine in the oven going to explode when near heat? It wasn't even directly exposed! He, thank God, was fine.

Pyrex Cookware Company Information