2. Homeowners
  3. Cookware Brands

4.1/5 (1212 ratings)

About Pyrex Cookware

Pyrex Cookware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2013

Last evening (04 Jan. 12), my wife and I were baking chicken breasts in two (2) Pyrex glassware 9x13 baking dishes. The oven was at approx. 400 deg F. After approx 30 minutes in the oven, we heard what sounded like a crash from the oven. Upon opening the oven, we were astounded to have found that one of the baking dishes had literally exploded, sending glass shards and debris throughout the oven. The blast must have been so intense that glass shards impregnated a loaf of bread wrapped in many layers of foil that was also baking in the oven at the time of the explosion. Other than ruining our dinner, destroying a piece of bakeware, and creating what was literally a 90+ minutes of clean up job (both messy and dangerous - numerous slivers of extremely sharp glass were in every crevice/crack of the oven interior), we shuddered to think what would have happened had the blast happened in the process of opening the oven door or when the door was open no less, while possibly handling the dish itself.

From an engineering perspective, this is a critical failure mode that needs to be addressed by Pyrex given the danger it poses to the consumer. We are now planning to toss all of our Pyrex bakeware in the trash! Please warn your friends and neighbors. This is no joke.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2013

On 1/2/13, I had two Pyrex dishes in the oven with chicken in them. I have used these dishes for years. When I took them out of the oven, one exploded everywhere. I was really lucky that the glass did not hit me in my eyes or on my body. Needless to say, we did not eat the chicken and I threw every Pyrex dish and lid that I had in the house out. No more Pyrex dishes for me. Please, everyone, be careful cooking with these dishes.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2012

I now have a data point to add to the discussion of new vs. old Pyrex baking dishes. For the past seven years, we have been making Yorkshire Pudding from the same recipe to go along with Roast Beef. This recipe calls for pre-heating the baking dish at 400 deg F before adding pan drippings from the meat to be followed later by the batter. There has never been any problem with this procedure using my mother's 40-year-old 9 x 13 Pyrex baking dish. This year, I decided to bring my newer dish of the same size and brand to save her some clean up. Immediately after adding the pan drippings to the pre-heated dish, it exploded violently coating the entire inside of the oven with scalding fat and glass shards. Fortunately, there were no personal injuries and amazingly a grease fire did not occur. So Christmas dinner had a few less calories this year and the rest of the holiday had to be spent cleaning up the kitchen and the inside of the oven.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2012

On Thanksgiving Day in 2011, the last dish to go on the table was candied yams. I took them out of a 350 degree oven with clean, dry oven mitts, took one step back from the oven and the dish fell apart in my hands. I slipped in the hot bubbling yams and fell. I received severe burns on my right hip and shattered the greater tuberosity in my right shoulder. After ten and a half months of excruciating pain and surgery, I returned to work. Over a year later, my shoulder still hurts and I still have restricted movement. That was on top of the medical bills that my insurance didn't cover and my disability payments were $2000 less a month than what I earned when working.

After this experience, I will never use Pyrex again and I warn all of my friends and family about it. I think it is very irresponsible of World Kitchens to advertise how safe it is when it obviously is not. I might add that I have cooked in Pyrex bakeware for forty years but never again as I threw out every piece that I owned. Since it has been more than a year, I probably have no recourse other than telling my story. But if it keeps this from happening to anyone else, then I think that is worth it.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2012

About 15 minutes into baking an apple dessert, I heard an explosion and then glass falling onto the bottom of my oven. What a mess it was! I have been using Pyrex baking dishes all my life and have never had an experience like this in the past. Today, while online, I saw an article about Pyrex cookware breaking and read what other people had experienced. I will be heading home to clean out my cabinets of Pyrex baking dishes and disposing of them all in the trash. I am not willing to take a chance that someone may get hurt with my Pyrex cookware.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2012

I baked a quiche at my Pyrex 9-inch pie plate at 350 degrees for an hour (nothing unusual). I took it out and put it on a warm (to the touch) cook top to cool. Three minutes later, it sounded like a bomb went off and shards of glass went everywhere, including into my family room 20 ft. opposite of the stove. Hot glass embedded in my carpeting which is now ruined. Glass ended up in two of the plates of food, which I was getting ready to take to the table and had to throw away instead. It took three adults and 20 minutes to clean up the glass and keep the pets and toddlers away. What a buzz kill to a special day. We are so thankful only the rug was ruined and I had minor cuts on my hands. I will never buy Pyrex again, having learned they changed their formula. I'll opt to buy the more expensive Creuset brand.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2012

I was cooking in a Pyrex dish. As soon as I pulled the dish out of the oven, the dish exploded in my hands! It scared the crap out of me. I had to keep two kids and a dog away from the broken glass on the floor. I will never use glass to bake again. I thought it was only me, until I started to read all of these posts. Please pass this information on to others who may not know this type of glass does explode and can explode in midair as you pull it out of the oven!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2012

I just saw a report about Pyrex pans shattering. I thought it only happened to me. I have had two of them shatter in the past 8 years, one after being taken out of the oven and another shattered while in the oven! Both scary events. Luckily no one has hurt (except the food) in the incidences.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2012

I was baking a cake like I have many times before. When I removed it from the oven and set it gently on top of the stove (the burner was not on where I set it on), it exploded with a loud noise. I had glass all over my kitchen. My husband heard me scream from outside in the driveway. He came in and helped clean up the mess, while I kept the dog out of the glass as I was barefoot. Fortunately, I was not injured as I always wear oven mitts that go up to my elbows. Of course I threw out the cake, along with the cake pan pieces and won't purchase another Pyrex anything. I have several pieces yet to replace as I won't use them again for fear that they will be next on the explosion list as they are older than the cake pan that was only about a year old.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2012

I had a similar experience. I took a Pyrex pizza plate from the oven and set it on the cooktop. Within a minute, it shattered explosively - sending shards of hot glass across the kitchen. No one was hurt, but the hot glass permanently damaged the kitchen flooring.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2012

I thought I was the only person that had experienced the exploding cookware phenomenon until I read an article online. I too had experienced this. I cooked a pan of lasagna in the oven. When it was finished, I pulled it out; placed it on the stove to cool; and set for a while. I went to the living room to watch some TV and it sounded like rain was hitting the kitchen window. When I got up to see what the ruckus was, I was in awe to see the lasagna slowly oozing out of the Pyrex cooking dish. It had splintered into a thousand long, slender pieces. I was just lucky to not have had the hot dish in my hands or worse, set it on a table with hungry guests. The only loss was a healthy portion of good ingredients and about two hours of preparation and cleanup. Again, I was grateful that no one was injured.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2012

This is nothing new for this cookware. Subject Pyrex cookware to any severe extreme temperature and it will explode. Making them explode is easy. Just start making escaloped potatoes in them. Put the water and butter in one of the saucepans on the stove top, bring to a boil then add the milk and presto! Explosion! Works every time. I've been able to replicate this 95% of the time.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2012

Dish shattered - I was making a roast for supper. The roast had been in the oven for probably 45 minutes. I opened the oven and then got a fork to turn over the meat so it would brown on both sides. I turned away and while I had my back turned, the dish shattered. This was probably about two years ago. It scared me silly and it was in the oven. I was surprised we didn't have a huge grease fire in the stove.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2012

The pan was used about 10 times. I put it in a preheated 350 oven with a chicken and some juice in it. I opened the door to remove from the oven an hour later and as I lift the pan, it explodes into a million shards of glass and hot fluid flies everywhere.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2012

My favorite Pyrex dish, a very large rectangle, exploded in the oven. I use it a lot. It was full of nice size chicken drumsticks. How do you explain to autistic children who have been eyeing dinner since it went in the oven that it's Little Caesar pizza? It was not a good time as I only use Pyrex dishes. I'm really disappointed at this mishap.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2012

I am visiting a family member and used their Pyrex dish to prepare a roast turkey roll like I've done hundreds of times in my life. As always, I baste the turkey and after it browns, place less than a cup of room temperature water in the baking dish so the drippings don't burn as it continues cooking. To my shock, the dish exploded into hundreds of pieces. Fortunately, no one got hurt, but it took over an hour to clean up. When I bake the same meal in my own home, I use Corning Ware and never had a problem. It was not until I did a net search that I learned it was a frequent problem. The product needs to be taken off the market. It's dangerous, like shrapnel!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2012

I purchased a new Pyrex dish with the carrier. The first time I used it, I took it out of the oven 350 degrees to set on the counter to cool. Within a few seconds, it exploded, sending glass everywhere. I was grateful that it didn't happen while I was holding it or I could have had glass embedded in my face or arms; not to mention, being burned by a hot casserole. This is very dangerous!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2012

I was roasting a pork on the center rack of my oven and when I opened the oven door, the 13 x 9 Pyrex exploded all over my oven and on my kitchen floor - glass everywhere. Boy was I in shock. Even the bottom of the oven where it covers the flame popped off. All I thought about was a fire. I hope there's nothing wrong with my oven. I'm waiting for it to cool so I can clean it. I see that glass did go into the openings of the oven, which I'm sure will be a pain to get to. Well, there goes a nice meal and possibly my oven! I think I'm done using Pyrex!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2012

After having had a bad experience with an exploding Pyrex dish some years ago, my husband and I were particularly careful this Thanksgiving to make sure all our dishes (from the refrigerator), were taken out and not put into the oven until they were at room temperature. Even with this precaution, about half an hour after putting them in the oven at 250 degrees, we heard a frightening crash. Much to our amazement, we found an entire lasagna-sized dish of stuffing shattered, taking with it 2 other dishes now filled with glass shards. There were significant chunks of glass on the bottom of the stove. It was not only a disappointment to have to throw out all the food, but the cleanup was distressing & possibly dangerous with our grandchildren present. Our anger and disappointment with Pyrex products has brought us to the decision of never buying another Pyrex product. Do you need to take a science class on thermal shock to use their products?!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2012

I had made rolls for Thanksgiving in my Pyrex 13x9 dish. I have used this baking dish for years with no problem. I took the dish out of the oven and placed it on the counter and it exploded. Luckily, it didn't shatter into a lot of pieces and I was able to salvage my Thanksgiving rolls. What did shatter shattered into a lot of pieces.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2012

I preheated the oven at the manufacturer’s direction on my newly purchased Pyrex 9x13 brand dish. The oven was set to 325 for 25 minutes. I heard a large bam and opened the oven to see glass everywhere and food. My oven heating unit is ruined and so was our Thanksgiving dinner.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2012

I was cooking herb bread dressing in a recently purchased Pyrex square dish; it had baked for 30 min (350 degrees). I turned the oven off and left the dish of dressing in the oven with two other dishes when 10 minutes later, it exploded in the oven into hundreds of shards, which also fell in the other dishes. Luckily no one was injured, but we had very little to eat for our early Thanksgiving dinner since three dishes for dinner were ruined and it was a difficult mess to clean up. This is ridiculous that it exploded at a low temperature and with no temperature change to a colder counter, etc. as I heard this could happen if you sat it on a colder surface, but it was still in the oven. Pyrex should stop making these dishes and go back to the dependable formula they used to use.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2012

I was looking forward to having some stuffed sole fillets from World Port Seafood (Omaha Steaks) for lunch along with my wife. I placed the two fillets in a 9x9 Pyrex dish and put them in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees along with 2 tablespoons of water as instructed. Twenty minutes into the cooking time, I heard a crash and found the dish had "exploded" into multiple pieces.

After the oven cooled, I cleaned everything up and contacted customer service at Omaha Steaks to see if other consumers have had any similar problems with their baking instructions. They indicated that they had not, but the lady said it is not uncommon to hear stories of Pyrex dishes breaking. She was also kind enough to send me a replacement product, even though it did not appear to be a problem with their product - Omaha Steaks 100% guarantee is wonderful! As for the makers of Pyrex , World Kitchen - they support their products for two years despite thousands of consumer complaints.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2012

My wife was going to bake a cake. She had prepared the Pyrex dish with PAM cooking spray and flour. The dish was sitting on the kitchen island behind her. She had her back to it and was standing at the kitchen sink. Suddenly there was a loud explosion and she was standing amidst all the fine pieces of broken glass from the dish. She is adamant that the dish had been placed securely on the island and that it had not simply fallen and then shattered at her feet. I was in another room - heard the explosion and went rushing to the kitchen to find her standing in all the shards of glass. That was very scary stuff for both of us!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2012

I have been using Pyrex for years with no problems. This evening, I was taking pork tenderloin out of the oven (350 degrees, it had been in for 40 minutes) and I had barely gotten it off the oven rack when it exploded in my hands. Luckily, I was not injured at all, but dinner was ruined and it could have been a lot worse. There were no extreme temperature changes, no obvious marks in the glass. Then I looked online and saw how this has been happening to so many people. I felt I needed to add my story to all the other reviews. My little daughters are often in the kitchen with me, playing while I cook. Thank goodness tonight they were in the other room. I will never buy another Pyrex dish again.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2012

Pyrex 9x13 blew up in 350 oven while cooking brownies - We had a regular baking excursion with boxed brownies in the oven. After about ten minutes, there was a pop; there was Pyrex and burning brownie mix everywhere. That was in my new wall oven, in my remodeled kitchen! The proof is in the pudding, as we say. This dish is less than one year from purchase, and while my experience with Pyrex brand up to this point has been great, this is obviously not the old Pyrex.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2012

I was baking a chicken pot pie in one of the Pyrex 9 x 13" pans with the handles on it. I had used it 3 or 4 times before. The dinner was almost done when I heard a loud popping. I went into the kitchen and looked in the oven to see that the pan had burst into hundreds of small pieces. Everything had to be thrown out, peanut butter and jelly for dinner and a loss of grocery funds caused by exploding pan

Original review: Sept. 21, 2012

I inspected my glass Pyrex 9X13 before filling it with Apple Danish Pastry to bake. I preheated my electric oven to 375 and checked that the rack was in the middle. I placed the pan in the preheated oven and set the timer for 50 minutes. About 20 minutes into the baking time, the glass dish shattered around the pastry, leaving the pastry largely intact but shards of glass everywhere.

The oven hasn't cooled yet, so I haven't been able to examine the oven or the elements, or remove any of the glass; a terrible end to a terrible day. That pastry takes a lot of work to put together. I made the same one using the same pan last week, and had zero problems. I'm an expert level baker. I use those pans all the time. There was not a crack, it was not wet, and it was not near a heating element or under a broiler. To have it explode like that was a shock.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2012

The glass Pyrex casserole dish with chicken cooking in oven completely shattered when my wife opened the oven door to check on the food. Thankfully for her (and Pyrex or the company who makes the glass dish), she was not injured when the glass blew out of the oven towards her. The dish does not say anything about maximum temperature for this type of dishes. When I went to the store, they still do not have such a warning. I photographed the breakage in the oven and kept (for the moment) the shattered glass dish. Seems to be a problem when I look at your site and other sites involving this issue! I checked angry because this could have been a lot worse (glass in the eye, etc.). Maybe it is time to start putting warnings on all glass dishes that go into an oven (maximum temp and time they should be in?). Just a thought. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2012

Just minutes ago, I was taking a meatloaf out of the oven. I was holding the 13x9 Pyrex dish with two potholders. As I was turning from the oven, the Pyrex exploded sending shards of hot glass and hot meatloaf, as well as hot grease all over me up my arms into my face and all over the kitchen. The furthest shard traveled over ten feet. As a result, I have minor cuts and burns and have lost about $20.00 in groceries as everything on the stove top had to be thrown out. I am frightened and pissed off. I never knew this had happened to others. To me this is sheer negligence on the part of the manufacturer. Will it take someone getting blinded to fix this?

Pyrex Cookware Company Information