2. Homeowners
  3. Cookware Brands

4.1/5 (1212 ratings)

About Pyrex Cookware

Pyrex Cookware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

I had made homemade soup. I cooled soup down and then put it in bowl. Let sit on counter for a while. Later I went into refrigerator and the bowl exploded all over me. I had just purchased some new Pyrex from a gift card. I am taking my purchase back to the store. I bought the pan to bake with my granddaughter. I'm glad the bowl broke as a warning to not use pyrex ever.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2015

I pre-heated my oven. And put some Texas toast not even frozen in the pan. Placed in oven. About five minutes later I hear a huge bang. I opened the oven door to find my pan in multiple pieces. I pushed the pan onto a cookie sheet to remove from the oven. Once it was out and on top of stove more explosions happens sending glass shards all over my kitchen with my one year old standing nearby. My husband tried to help me take it outside but cut his arm as a piece exploded again while moving it.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2015

Tonight I removed a Pyrex dish from my room temperature cabinet and tried to cook a casserole. I assembled fresh ingredients and placed the dish in the oven. The dish was in the oven approx. 5 minutes before it exploded, leaving a mess all over my oven. I purchased the set of Pyrex last year at a kitchen store located in the Commerce, GA Tanger Outlet. I had used Pyrex dishes in the past without any problem. I have made this casserole in other Pyrex dishes (from the 80's) and Corning Ware dishes in the past. I am upset, because I now have a mess to clean up, lost my time and money putting this dish together, and I have to throw out everything in my kitchen that is Pyrex (Don't want a repeat). This item is dangerous.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

I had two chicken breast in a glass Pyrex 8x8x2 dish in the oven on 400. The usual way I have cooked chicken breast for years. When done I reached into my oven took out the dish and set it up on top of my stove. No sooner did I let go of the dish and I felt it give way in my hands with the mitt on and the whole dish broke into pieces with flying glass! I was shocked as well as my husband. We had never seen Pyrex do this, so I took a picture of it. Put it on Facebook only to hear a few others comment that they too had the same thing happen to them more than once using Pyrex glass dishes.

These things are made to bake in and they are exploding like bombs throwing glass into the air! THEY NEED TO STOP SELLING THESE THINGS, THEY ARE SO DANGEROUS! Someone is going to lose an eye or get seriously hurt. I have 3 other pieces. NEVER USING PYREX AGAIN. I AM AFRAID OF IT NOW! Reading all the comments from others only confirmed my decision.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

Tonight on Christmas Eve, we had three Pyrex casserole dishes in the oven. All of a sudden, one of them shattered in a million pieces and ruined all the food in the oven. We are shocked and disappointed. What gives?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

I was baking a cut pumpkin cut side down in my trusty Pyrex baking dish and after about 30 min in the oven I heard a loud crack, explosive type noise. I opened the oven and the baking dish was in many pieces all over the oven shelf and floor. I am at least relieved the oven door was closed. The food item was not cold when it went into the dish. The oven was at 350 degrees. Just thought someone would want to know. Not sure if I did anything wrong. This baking dish was at least 5-6 years old, no cracks, dings, or other damage prior to this incident.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2014

I was cooking some meat in the oven and had to take it out to add additional ingredients, which I had done several times before. As I was putting in the additional ingredients, the pyrex dish shattered into a thousand pieces. Fortunately, it was on my stove so the glass was not spread all over the floor. I have 3 dogs and as soon as it broke they came in to lick up the food. I had read this happening to others but was shocked when it occurred to me.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2014

A week ago, my wife was heating canned soup in the microwave using a 1.75-quart Pyrex bowl (a very common occurrence in our house). As she was finishing eating the soup, she felt something hard in her mouth and discovered a 1/4" - 1/2" thin shard of glass. In checking the bottom of the bowl, my wife found additional shards of glass. I inspected the bowl and found places along the rim that were no longer rounded and smooth. Apparently, the glass had "come loose" from the edge and dropped into the soup. I have contacted the company but to date, I have not received an acknowledgement or a reply.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2014

After my 9 x 13 Pyrex baking dish sat on the counter overnight, at 5:30 am the next morning it exploded waking my husband and I up thinking our kitchen cabinet fell onto the floor. We found broken glass all over the floor and counter with just the bottom of the pan showing spider like cracks throughout. Luckily no one was handling it when it exploded. This incident does not instill any confidence in your product as if it was in the refrigerator with food in it, the consequences would be terrible.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

I was so happy that I had a nice set of Pyrex I bought at Costco earlier this year. Now I am scared to use any of the other items. I used the medium size baking pan last night for an echilada casserole and the pan shattered in the oven while it was cooking last night. Needless to say we had no dinner and about an hour's worth of clean up. :(

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

I recently was BAKING meat in the oven and I needed to add some liquid. I started adding HOT water and the dish exploded into a million pieces. I was very fortunate that I was not hurt or burnt. I do have a gas oven and now I have a lot of glass in the bottom of my oven. I cannot get to it. I did not save a receipt. The dish was a 9x13 baking dish. All I have left is the covered top. I did not take pictures.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

Last year, Christmas time, I was at my parent's home in Florida and I attempted to warm up some leftovers in the microwave in a green Pyrex dish. I only cooked it for 90 seconds and when I took the dish out of the microwave it literally exploded in my hands! A shard of glass embedded in the palm of my hand and it began bleeding quite a bit. It hurt a great deal and I remember being shocked at the explosion because Pyrex is supposed to be microwave safe. I'm quite certain it was an older piece of Pyrex but it seems rather dangerous for consumers that own Pyrex (old or new) if they are not warned of this potential for explosion. I could have been seriously injured. I had never heard of this happening until this morning when it was on the news because the same thing happened to a family in Atlanta and a boy injured his eye.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

Today I placed two marinated organic chicken breasts in a square glass pyrex baking dish. I had lined the pan with foil and covered the top with foil also. To make clean up easier as 'everything' sticks to Pyrex, and to keep the moisture in the chicken. After the chicken was cooked at 350 degrees I removed the dish from oven and placed on the wooden cutting board on counter top. Moments later the dish BLEW UP. Thankfully the aluminum foil on top prevented it from coming right at my face. However it blew out all around. Glass everywhere all over the floor, table, counter. Hitting me and bouncing off my clothing. I have video of the after effects. I won't be baking with Pyrex any longer. I have done this for many years and never had this problem before. I see many others have had similar situations. I am sorry for those who were injured and so grateful that I was not. Some of the shards of glass were very sharp like daggers.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

I was baking a beautiful $47.89 steak and 10 minutes into it I hear a loud scary noise. I ran to kitchen and the oven glass has cracked. When I open it the pyrex tray has blew up in many pieces, I was surprise and angry. This ruin my dinner and now am afraid to use this products. It happen today!!! So upset.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2014

I was rearranging dirty dishes in my dishwasher to make room for more. I took hold of the handle of the Pyrex jug when it just literally exploded in my hand. Broken glass and shards were all around me and across the room on the floor and covered my hands and all the dirty dishes. I was lucky that my husband was home to help me get all the glass out of me. He was still finding glass in my toes half an hour after the event.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

Last night my granddaughter and I baked a cake in one of my favorite Pyrex glass pan. I took it out the oven, set it on the stove, and it exploded! My granddaughter & I are lucky to be alive! My glass Pyrex pan exploded just a few minutes after taking it out of the oven! It sent chunks and shards of glass, as well as cake, all over me, my granddaughter & my kitchen! I'm so thankful that my granddaughter only got a cut on her foot, she was less than 2 feet away from the pan! O.M.G, it literally sounded like a bomb had blown up in my kitchen! I grabbed my granddaughter and ran! I checked her all over for cuts and glass! She had a cut on her foot, that’s it, thank God! It could have easily been so much worse! And ever since last night’s horrific experience, she's scared to go in the kitchen now. :/ I can't believe this actually happened! I've used these pans for years! Never ever again! This scared the hell out of me and I will NEVER use Pyrex EVER again!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

I placed my 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave to soften butter (as I have done hundreds of times) - after 30 seconds I heard what sounded like an bomb going off - it was my Pyrex exploding in the microwave!! Thousands of pieces of shattered glass!!! I have used Pyrex dishware/cookware since the 70s and have many vintage pieces which have never given me cause or concern. This piece was one of the newer ones that I'd purchased - never again!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

I am devastated! I was so proud to have found this set of Pyrex bakeware on sale just before Thanksgiving Day. I used the middle pan to bake this beautiful loaf of cornbread. Took it out of the oven, sat it on the cooling rack away from the oven. Turned my back, and then....BAM! It simply exploded! I stood there in complete shock. Glass was everywhere. All over the cabinet, the floor -- bread and glass just everywhere! For a minute, I thought I had a ghost! I have never, EVER witnessed an entire baking dish explode in my life! I was too hurt and too shocked to figure out what had just took place. I just began cleaning the glass and bread up--cutting my fingers in the process. Mind you, I had the other two pieces of Pyrex bakeware in the oven with mac and cheese in one pan, and sweet potato souffle in the other. I was so afraid the other two would explode, I just stopped cooking them. Took them out of the oven, threw away the food, and started over with aluminum baking pans. I was too angry and too mad to cry. Food is too expensive to waste, let alone buying Pyrex bakeware that simply explodes. NEVER AGAIN!! NEVER!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2014

Thanksgiving dinner: Mac and cheese, green bean casserole, mashed sweet potatoes and mashed white potatoes and dressing in the oven to heat. Kerrrrpow! Explosion! It was my dressing. I make from scratch. Cornbread, white bread, rice, onion, celery, garlic, spices, etc. Glass and dressing all over the oven. Terrible mess. Had to throw together a made up dressing. All of my other dishes had covers on them, thankfully!! Thanks to my dear guests and the rest of my food, our Thanksgiving meal was a success. I have used Pyrex baking for 50 years. Never, never again. This particular dish was not one of my Old, Old ones. Maybe only one old!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2014

Nice way to end Thanksgiving. Had two turkey breasts each in their own Pyrex. 1/2 through cooking, we heard a giant BANG. One had completely exploded in the oven, shooting the smallest shards of glass all over both Turkeys. Pulled the other out of the oven and luckily had oven mitts on because it shattered just as I was carrying it over to the counter. 350 degree oven, nothing different from any other cooking day - except thanksgiving was ruined. Never will buy Pyrex glassware again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2014

I was in the kitchen and heard a small explosion in the oven. To my surprise it was my Favorite Baking Dish by Pyrex. I have been a loyal consumer/customer since the early 1960's. Very, very upsetting since I ruined my new wooden floor, glass shards everywhere, as I attempted to pick up the dish I sliced my finger. So to end the story my Thanksgiving will be an everlasting memory to my family.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

Ruined our Thanksgiving meal!! Had the Pyrex in the oven with sweet potatoes, pulled out and set on wooden cutting board to cool while carving the turkey. Out of nowhere a loud noise... The Pyrex dish exploded!! Glass shards all over the kitchen... Had to throw over half the meal away because of glass getting in the food. Will be telling everyone I know to never use this brand!! Thanks Pyrex for an unforgettable thanksgiving. :(

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

As I found this page while looking for Pyrex Customer Service, I realize that this is not some isolated occurrence. I was cooking a Cod fish fillet yesterday. Had the oven on for 450 degrees F. The fish fillet was uncovered and had some grape seed oil on it. About 15 minutes into the cook, I heard a very loud explosion sound. When I looked at the oven, it was filled with smoke and fire. For some reason I decided to try to open oven door but then heard more sounds of explosion and broken glass. I thought something was wrong with my oven. I immediately turned it off. After a couple of minutes, I saw the smoke clear and opened the oven door. To my surprise and amazement, the glass dish was completely destroyed and in pieces. The fish was covered in glass. I let it cool and inspected the oven. It seems ok, but has the glass and burned oil all over it. It took me a while to clean it out. I took a few pictures to show my wife but then realized I can share them here as well. Stay away from Pyrex. I am throwing out the 2 other glass dishes I found in my kitchen. I think I got lucky that it exploded in the oven before I had taken it out of there.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

My dinner was ruined last night after the Pyrex pan shattered in the oven. I have heard about this happening but had never personally encountered it. My chicken breasts were about halfway done cooking when I heard something strange but couldn't figure out what it was. I didn't realize what it was until about twenty minutes later I opened the stove and found a horrible mess inside. I had a liquid concoction cooking in the pan with them that got all over my stove as well as the glass shards that are all over inside. It looks like a bomb went off inside my stove.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

I followed the instructions for not exposing my 'new' pyrex pie dish to extreme temperatures. The oven was at 325. The impossible apple pie cooked for an hour. I took the pie out and set it on thick hot mats. After about 10 minutes we heard a pssshhh and then a loud popping explosion as pieces of the pie dish were cast around the kitchen... on the counter and on the floor. Luckily, no one was in the range for the pieces of glass that were thrown. However, the pie, which was to be dessert for a family gathering was no longer something we could serve.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2014

30 minutes into cooking, I opened the oven door to check on my Cornish hen and as I pulled out the dish, it exploded all over my oven. No more cooking with pyrex for us even though we have used this dish for years.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

I have read reviews that tell you not to put a hot Pyrex dish on a cold counter. That was not the problem. The baking dish I was using exploded in the oven after about 20 minutes of cooking. Not only are we out dinner and the expense of it, but we have about an hour of glass to clean up after the oven cools down. I will never buy the Pyrex brand again!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

I was transferring a piece of meat from a Pyrex baking dish (that it had cooked in) to a Pyrex storage container with a lid that was on a counter ON TOP of an oven mitt. The meat was not in the Pyrex storage container for but a minute when the glass shattered underneath. The meat was not scalding hot, but it was still warm, and the storage container was not cold, it was room temperature. I was so taken aback that I didn't get a picture. This is ridiculous. At least no one in the kitchen was hurt, but when it shattered the shards of glass got all in the meat and I had to throw away a perfectly (amazingly cooked, I might add) beef roast. This is the first time it has happened to me. I know others have had it happen before too. I also know that Pyrex changed their formula from borosilicate glass to soda-lime glass, which has less thermal range. VERY disappointing when a company touts that they are still manufacturing in the USA, but change their formula to save some bucks.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

Pyrex dish exploded in oven leaving a mess and ruining family dinner.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2014

Had just finished baking a loaf of bread with my new Pyrex loaf pan. While transferring it from the oven to the cooling rack it exploded, glass everywhere. I highly recommend avoiding Pyrex products. They've definitely lost me as a customer.

Pyrex Cookware Company Information