1.63/5
Based on 337 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a water treatment system?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

509 Pur Water Filters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

We purchased two (2) Pur Water Filter Systems. The pitcher and large front valve versions. They both use the identical Pur inserted filter. Followed the instructions (multiple steps to prep the filter) to the letter and filled the top reservoirs on both reservoirs. Then, waited and waited and waited... Over two (2) hours later the water finally made it through the filters. Will not purchase from this company once we deplete our current box of 6 new filters.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I have been using PUR for a couple of years. Last fall I had two filter from the same box clog fairly quickly, so I ordered a new set of three. Less than two months later, all three clogged. The last one clogged with only two gallons filtered. I called their customer service line and the first thing it said was that they were "experiencing higher than usual call volumes". Once I made it through the menu to talk to a live representative, the message changed to one of me calling off hours and to call back Monday thru Friday. They weren't experiencing a high call volume. In my opinion they are just using that to cover understaffing customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have bought three of these for the kitchen faucet but no more! These systems are TRASH! They have a light that flashes green when everything is okay, then it flashes orange that's suppose to tell you it's time to get ready to change the filter, and finally red saying you're too late! Each and every one of these pieces of junk I've bought when they turned orange not red have BLOWED the back that screws on CLEAR APART rendering them useless!!! Never again PUR!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I’ve used both Brita and Pur filters for many years and have had periodic problems with Pur (when they work they work well - but occasionally I’ve had one or two that clogged quickly and had to be replaced). I just tried the 99% lead-reducing type (white plastic top) and have spent over an hour trying to get them to work. Two out of three in the new box had the same problem – they ran very slowly and stopped altogether after about half filling the pitcher. I then tried one of the previous (blue top) filters and it’s now filtering my water as usual so I will throw out my three “new model” 99% filters and continue to use the original (all blue) filters with their only occasional malfunction rather than the newer model which seems to block not only lead but water too! NOTE: I only gave them one star since that was the minimum allowed - they really deserve 0 stars.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I've had to contact PUR once in the past about a faucet filter I purchased. My filter began leaking just over a year after purchased and was out of warranty. PUR offered to replace the product. I only had to pay for shipping costs to return the defect product. It took some time for this whole process, but I didn't expect them to replace the filter and was quite pleased they stood by their product. Love the filter itself and would definitely purchase products from them again in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pur Water Filters?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Most HORRIBLE customer service in my 49 years here on Earth. I switched from Brita water filter pitchers to PUR dispenser about 3 years ago because I liked the capacity & convenience of a stand alone dispenser in the fridge. I was replacing the blue "Maxion" cartridge every 3 months as recommended, and noticed early on that the water flow through it would slow down immensely to almost stopping working after the first month. Not only that, but small carbon particles were "leaking" out of the cartridge into the upper reservoir which told me the filter was defective. I called PUR customer support and was told the leaking carbon (BROKEN filter) was "totally normal," and was kept on the phone for THIRTY MINUTES while this rep and his "manager" discussed different ways to have me "clean" and "unclog" the filter, which amounted to 2 hours of flushing with bleach, and then ANOTHER 2 hours of vinegar flushing(!)...WHAT!

FOUR hours to fix a filter I have to BUY every 3 months anyway? (Remember...this is a $7 retail value item these guys are spending a half hour trying to figure out here.) And finally, after I had had enough I said "Why don't you just send me a new non-defective filter?" Their answer? "No, we don’t do that...send replacements." These two clowns spent an hour of total manhour/wage time to do everything in their power NOT to send me a filter that costs PUR maybe...MAYBE 2 bucks and a friggin 50-cent stamp. I am throwing out ALL my PUR products and switching back to BRITA which I should have never left behind. WORST COMPANY EVER. DO NOT BUY PUR PRODUCTS. THEY ARE DEFECTIVE AND THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!!! Oh, and the leaking carbon being "normal?" Look at these horrendous images of my PUR dispenser/filter and YOU tell ME...SMFH.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We bought PUR water purifier from Wal-mart. The water filter worked OK for 1st two months. Then, when the red light came on, we replaced the filter with brand new PUR filter. It immediately turned red. We used another new filter and it also turned red immediately. We logged on to consumer complaint site and found many people are having the same problem. This is a lousy product - don't buy!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I never had a problem with mine and there is no chlorine taste at all. Way better than bottled water and sink water. For 20 bucks can't go wrong. Filters a lot of contaminants. I recommend it to anyone. I don't see how people have problems unless you put it on wrong or something or the wrong filter.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I've compared several water filters including Pur. You want the best water filter that has zero particles (tested with a meter) try Zero Water. Been using it for 8 years now and love it. Pur Water Filter leaves particles in it but Zero Water doesn't.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I bought PUR water filter in January, initial filter worked approximate 5 months as my usage is very less. Recently, I replaced the filter and it stopped working within a week. I thought there may be some problem in product, then again I tried another new filter, that also stopped working within 3 days. Worst filter. They have mentioned that filter life is 2 months (40 Gallons). All misleading information and worst quality. I wasted my money twice on purchasing this filter in hope that it will work out.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Called several times, rep refused to resolve. LED light has never worked. Filters never last two months as stated on box. Rep said it was "up to 2 months" & 5 weeks was within the guarantee! Will not buy again but couldn't get a refund nor replacement.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I had my Pur Maxion system just shy of a month. The first filter only lasted two weeks before the indicator turned red even though it was supposed to last 3 months. The replacement filter started blinking red exactly less than two weeks after that. I have since wasted two replacement filters trying to get it to blink green again, but it still blinks red with new filters. This whole endeavor was a ridiculous waste of money.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Purchased Pur faucet filter about six months ago and recently the light indicator stopped working. I began looking at the reviews to see if anyone mentioned about the same problem and a fix for it. Wow. There were a lot of consumers with the same problem. I bought a bad product. I will not invest on the product name. I counted on the light indicator because I have a busy schedule. I don’t think I will always remember to write down the date when I repacked the filter every three months.

Original review: July 10, 2018

We also paid $50 for this piece of junk. No matter what, every filter we use it immediately starts blinking red indicating that the filter needs to be changed. The filters are expensive, and we wasted two the last time to make sure. From the reviews, I see it is pointless to ask for a refund and sounds like I certainly would not want a replacement. They need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau. Big waste of money.

Original review: June 20, 2018

This review is for the PUR Maxion filter/pitcher. Filter is slow and ridiculously impractical. You can only fill up a few inches of water into the pitcher at a time. Who is going to stand around their sink area and wait for 30 min. to fill up a water pitcher one serving at a time?! Useless waster of money. I will be going back to the other brand of filter pitcher.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Quality control: Brownish slime came off 11 cup pitcher lead-removing filter after 15 min soak/10 sec rinse. CS agent stated co. aware of prob; working on correction. Offered to send replacement w/o lead filtering. Second CS agent said faucet filter is better than pitcher.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have had my Pur Advanced water filter less than 1 year. It developed a sudden and MAJOR leak. I reseated the filter, along with also reseating the unit itself, and it still leaked like crazy. I called the customer service line listed on the original packaging. First of all, it took me calling every day or so for TWO WEEKS to get through to anyone. Secondly, the gentleman that I spoke with was polite and professional enough, but stated that the warranty is a "limited warranty" and that I have to send the product back at MY EXPENSE, and then wait for 2-4 more weeks to get a new filter.

The paperwork I have does not state ANYWHERE that is is a "limited" warranty, nor that I would be responsible for any cost should the product fail. This is truly unacceptable, and although I politely and thoroughly expressed my displeasure, I was told that this is the policy, take it or leave it. I will not purchase another product from this company.

Original review: May 1, 2018

As many others have found out the hard way. First few gallons of water go through the water pitcher filter just fine and tastes clear and great. Filter quickly blocks up. First filter worked for 10 gallons, second worked for 8.5 and the last only worked for 5.5 before clogging. No amount of vinegar shaking or drying out fixed problem. Found YouTube video where user cuts filter in half and finds out company puts Styrofoam balls in the filter to block it up as a design to wear out filter so you buy more!! RIP OFF. DO NOT BUY PUR FILTERS.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Sure you could just take the company's word for it that their filter is great, but if you try looking for actual lab data about the effectiveness of these filters you won't find any information. I was specifically looking to find the lead filtration effectiveness. Not possible. If you care about investing in your water quality, take the $50 a year you would spend on water filters and get a reverse osmosis system that is actually guaranteed to remove everything including such carcinogenic contaminants as hexavalent chromium (Pur is guaranteed to be ineffective against this contaminant).

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I purchased the Pur Max Ion water filter a few months ago for $50. Within 3 months the filter developed a sudden major leak. It came with a 2 year warranty. Upon contacting Pur customer support (they apparently outsource this to a company called Kaz), they told me to ship the unit back to them AT MY EXPENSE. This is totally unacceptable and I demanded that they send me a shipping label at their expense.

I predict I will now be ignored by them but I want to share this experience with others so that they may use another brand of water filter. And btw, this is now the 2nd Pur water filter I've had effectively explode within the last 1.5 years. There is nothing wrong with my water pressure - it is the flimsy construction of their water filters that is the issue. In both cases, the O-rings joining the separable parts of the unit housing the replaceable filter have failed with some partial bending of the plastic shell. I wonder if the same O-ring engineers who worked on the Challenger Space Shuttle now work for Pur!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

So I've been having problems with these filters for a while but I thought I'd give them another shot. Purchased the PUR max filters and straight out of the box doesn't work. It took a half hour to get a little water. I did the re-soak and shaking the filter. DOES NOT WORK. I see they have a 30 day money back guarantee which doesn't help due to the fact there are three of these junk filters in the box, so who knows about all 3 of them. I'm done with this brand. Also good luck trying to go to their website, I get a warning that hackers are trying to infiltrate my system. This company is truly a joke.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Water filter model number FM-3700B: I called approx 1 mo ago to find out why this filter went from green to red & then back to green. Told to call back after I changed the filter if I had a problem. When the filter went from green to red & then rapidly red to green for many times without changing the filter & now it has no light. Called. Said I would have to return it & the # on filter was older. I am very disappointed. It's less than 1 yr old won't be without filter sys.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I have been a user of PUR water pitchers for many years. My initial experience was very positive. The old filters had a sensor that moved as time progressed and so the user knew when it was time to change the filter. Over the years the design of the filters changed in that there was no dial or indicator on the filter itself. The old filters had a black, charcoal like filling that you would notice when initially soaking and installing the filter. Some months ago I noticed that the filters now shed some white granular material. These newer filters are TERRIBLE! They are horribly slow and continually shed this white stuff. I'm so disappointed in the PUR filters that I am now looking to purchase another system. Anyone have recommendations?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

After using 8 PUR faucet filters, my kitchen sink faucet finally gave way to the pressure with a stem leak. The same problem happened to my neighbor who recommended it! CAUTION: Install, and prepare to call a plumber.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I have tried 2 filters in the PUR Pitcher, which I bought about 2 months ago and they work only for the first few days, after that they stop filtering altogether. Save your money for another brand, I wish I would have googled reviews before. It's PURe trash~

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

You would think that if you own a Pur pitcher, and you buy Pur filters that explicitly say will fit ALL Pur pitchers, then it would fit your pitcher. Not even close. How can they get away with this? Isn't this BLATANTLY false advertising?!?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Since Pur was purchased by Kaz customer relations has fallen into the toilet. We have had several generations of filters over the years beginning when the original company was committed to supplying underserved communities with clean drinking water. Before the purchase by KAZ customer service was excellent and response time amazing. Since KAZ take over it has become abysmal. I received my recent order today for another faucet mount because other filters would not work on my sink and tried to redeem the coupon for the replacement filter coupon and the site is discontinued! They no longer provide clean drinking water and have diluted the product. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Pur filter light never works. We changed it first time as a defective, second time the same, saying that still doesn't work, but we kept the third, even if doesn't work as well. We just took the loss. I found other brands from Menard working perfect, even that I was skeptical at first after Pur experience. Now we still use Pur since we had 5 filter replacement pack, and we just mark it on calendar when 2-3 average months past.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Over a month ago we purchased an PUR 18 cup dispenser along with three replacement filters at Menards. During the first month we used the original filter that came with the unit and everything worked fine. At the end of one month, we replaced the original filter. Since then the dispenser takes hours to purify the water and stops at approximately halfway through the upper holding task. We faithfully followed the new filter soaking instructions. This performance is not consistent with the dispensers first month and is not acceptable. Considering the simplicity of manufacturing a filter and this company's inability to produce a working filter, one has to wonder if the filtration system is even effective. I don't recommend PUR to anyone. It is not worth the aggravation and effort required to get a glass of water!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am using the PUR 2-stage Water Dispenser and the filter works amazing for 3 days, after that it's so slow that I can barely drink a glass of water a day. I have tried everything, soaking it longer, shaking it before I refill it and anything else I could find on the internet. Such a waste of money and so much worse for the environment if I throw a filter away every week. I would think that after so many bad reviews they would figure out that there is a HUGE problem and fix it.

Pur Water Filters Company Information