4.1/5 (678 ratings)

Find Water Treatment Systems partners near you

About Pur Water Filters

Find Water Treatment Systems partners near you

Pur Water Filters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pur Water Filters?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pur Water Filters?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2014

I have been using PUR water filters for many years and have recently starting having quality issues. The water does not taste too badly if you can get pass the smell (even with new filter). The fishy smell is so great that it can be smelled from a couple of feet away. I discontinued use of the filter and to my surprise the water smelled better without it. I never had that problem in my 15 years of using PUR. Not sure what is happening to the filter quality but I did hear that the company was acquired not too long ago. They must be cheapening the manufacturing process or have changed it. In my opinion I would not recommend PUR filters unless changes are made to the quality.

Original review: July 23, 2014

I have bought PUR water filters for many years. They were good at first. After a few years I noticed that the quality went down and that I had to replace a broken filter about every two months. These last two times, I was forced to buy a filter that squeezed onto the faucet unit with a white washer component that simply attached. How easy! Except that it doesn't work. There is leakage from the washer part that is on the PUR water filter itself as it attaches to the metal covering by screwing onto the faucet. There is nothing wrong with the metal cover screwed over the faucet. But the squeeze unit with the two white prongs that opens it up for attachment leaks. And has leaked on the only two units that I bought like this. This is bad engineering or bad manufacturing. I will be choosing another water filter to use. This is just too much trouble.

Original review: July 18, 2014

I experienced the leakage after about 3 months of using my Pur Water Filter. A few weeks ago, the light stopped working. I called the customer service & talked to a representative. They are aware of both of these problems. The rep told me that they will replace the black plastic aerator with a metal one. She explained to me that once I switch the aerator then I will not have the leakage problem. As for the light, the representative told me that the battery could not be replaced. The light is very convenient, but without it we just went back to the basics of counting the 5 seconds before usage. The rep also explained 2 ways we can determine when to change the filter. Mark the calendar when we need to change the filter which would be every 30-60 days for us, & we could also observe the water coming out of the spout. When it appears to be only trickling out - seeming to be backed up, then we know to change it as it should be a steady thick flow when the filter is still good.

I have never experienced a filter only lasting 2 weeks and we have had our Pur filter for about 7 months. My advice to all of you who are having problems is to just call customer service and explain it to them. They will make it right for you. I went to Sam's Club and bought a 6-pack of filters because you spend about half as much as if you would buy them in singles at the store and by them listening to me and even replacing my water filter I am a customer of theirs into the future!

Original review: July 15, 2014

I installed the subject filter on my kitchen faucet in March 2011. Since then it has worked flawlessly. No leaks, and about 60 days from "green light" to "red light." A few days ago, two weeks after replacing the filter, I began getting only a red light. A little internet searching revealed that one consumer had corrected the problem by inserting a straw into the water inlet opening inside the filter housing and then blowing into the straw. So I removed the filter, inserted a straw (the straws that have a bendable section) into the water inlet opening, and huffed and puffed. I reinstalled the filter, and have had a green light for the past two days each time I select filtered water. Once again it's working as advertised with 10 minutes of my time and zero cost. A final question: if there is not battery in the filter, and the owner's manual does not show or mention a battery, what powers the green, yellow, and red lights?

Original review: July 13, 2014

When using the filter, we have water squirting out of the fittings. We have change the fittings and it will be ok for a while and then start leaking again. What can we do?

Original review: July 12, 2014

Have used the PUR faucet filter for years and loved it. Filters lasted 2 to 3 months no problems. Several months ago, got a 3 pack of filter cartridges that only lasted a couple weeks before flow was down to a trickle. Went to different store and bought another 3 pack, same story - only one of them started out fresh as merely a dribble. Tried one more time, bought a 3 pack from yet another store, same story. They last *maybe* two weeks and then barely a dribble out of them. Obviously they've changed suppliers or manufacturing process on their replacement filters as I never had this problem for years prior. I'm through with PUR and am currently trying competitors' filters. Shame really, I liked it. But I can't tolerate spending that kind of money replacing the cartridges every 2 weeks (or less).

Original review: July 10, 2014

This company should fire all of its product engineers and hire competent ones. They have replaced my filter THREE TIMES. The original and all three replacements have ALL exploded. I cannot believe that they are incapable of correctly designing something as simple as a water filter housing. If they had a clue what they are doing they would NOT use plastic and instead make the housing out of METAL.

Original review: July 7, 2014

Filter disrupts water flow to the faucet when the filter isn't engaged. A limited amount of water is forced through and the water pipes vibrate. I have used Pur water filtration system without a problem for a half dozen years. Recently, they have changed the design of their filter system. This is my first Pur filter system of the new design and I am disappointed with it. I don't want to invest in a new Pur filter system and run into the same problem. I will check out some of the competitor's models while shopping tomorrow.

Original review: July 6, 2014

3/10/14, PUR Model #91008 has NEVER worked without leaks. I've used Teflon tape, silicone, Plumber's putty, J-B Weld's epoxy, auto heater hose with 2 clamps (top & bottom) & it still leaks. PUR should make a solid metal (no gaps) part.

Original review: July 4, 2014

I read and followed the instructions to a tee when installing this filter. Water came out painfully slow after 2 days. The guy who thinks that people make this stuff up is a total **.

Original review: June 29, 2014

We bought a new faucet filter system from Costco 6 months ago. Everything seemed to be okay, but last month, I noticed that the green light was on most of the time. It's supposed to go on only when the water is turned on. Today, there is no light at all. Battery is dead and from researching, it seems that there is no way to change the battery.

Original review: June 28, 2014

I have bought old and new models of the PUR Water Filter units for the sink in the past few years, thinking I just needed an upgrade so it would be better. It doesn't matter... They all eventually cracked and exploded on me after only about a year (or less) and the light on the model keeps dying after only a few months of use. These are obviously cheaply made and poor quality. After reading all these bad reviews, I realize I am obviously not alone, so this can't just be a result of human error on the user's part. Will not be buying this product anymore nor will I be recommending it to anyone. What a waste of money. PUR has lost me as a customer forever. The last water filter unit just exploded on me again tonight. I am done with buying this brand.

Original review: June 11, 2014

I have used this unit for years, and just in the last year 2013. It seem like the filter water in the container has become heavy like salt or something was in it? I did a sip of water after another flush thru again the unit. I have stop using the PUR water system altogether since September of 2013.

Original review: June 6, 2014

I am experiencing the same frustrating and expensive replacement issues as the other PUR consumers. Leaking filter, water flow slows as filter is used. Green light quit working more than once. Questioning if filter even works? AKA Former consumer!

Original review: June 5, 2014

I just bought the set of two filters at Costco and installed it. The water that came through the filter seemed to be soap like when I touched it in my hand. It was like you dabbed some diluted liquid soap on your hand and it was very smooth. Not like normal water, you dabbed soap on your hand and washed it away. I drank about 1/2 of a gallon this filtered water and found out the problem after that. The next day, I got really sick and I don't know that if it was because of this filtered water. I stopped using it and google it to see if anyone has the same problem. It seems one person in this list also mentioned soap like. Water is very important for our body. I don't know if the PUR company is qualified for us to use!

Original review: June 1, 2014

We just had a similar experience with our Pur filter: A large amount of soap-like foam formed on the surface of the water. This is the second Pur filter we've used. The first filter seemed to work fine, but we're now concerned enough that we'll hold off on using the filter until we're able to learn more. Has anyone heard of this problem? Is the company addressing it?

Original review: May 27, 2014

PUR Water Filters crack, leak and then explode after a few months use. This has happened to me (4) separate times in 2-3 years. They replaced it but I had to pay for shipping. Do not waste your time and money on this unit.

Original review: May 19, 2014

Have used these PUR counter top filters with replacement elements for years because city water here while clean has bad taste. New PUR replacement CRF-950Z filters are defective and stop flowing after half a tank. To completely empty upper chamber have to remove upper section and place on top of lower unit.. Pur customer service puts blame on customer and wants defective ones returned. Return shipping is more than cost of filter which cost $5.00 each x box of 4 or $20 at Bed Bath & Beyond stores..

Original review: May 14, 2014

The filters have been getting to where they will not let any water pass thru. I tried to get a hold of the company but their website seem to be down.

Original review: May 14, 2014

Used Pur for years, no problem. The adapters added a universal to the mix. I need this to attach the Pur unit onto the sink and it leaks. The water keeps pushing its way over the top edge of the adapter and going down into the unit of filtered water. Metal and plastic just do not work well together. Why don't they make it all plastic or all metal? Solve the problem or at least send me the old adapter. This is the second unit and it's becoming quite expensive.

Original review: May 7, 2014

I personally believe that there are a lot of people who over embellish how bad things work with the purifying systems, don't thoroughly read instructions, and create the majority of the issues that they have occur with their systems. I personally find the faucet system to be refreshingly easy to use! They are made out of cheap plastic, but what isn't these days? If you are gentle with the filter and the unit itself, and don't mentally over complicate the rather simple directions everything works fine! You simply place the filter in the unit with the forward arrow facing forward, (and it can easier be figured out what the front of the filter is) place the cap back on top and gently screw the lid down hand tight. (You will feel the filter automatically lock into place) Turn the water on for a few minutes (the green light will flash assuring you that the new filter is operational), that simple!

And the morons who complain about the flow of water being just a little over a drip...... It's not that slow, and all forced filtration systems are like that. Do some research, stop complaining and acting as if pur filter company is shafting you intentionally! As with all mechanical devices there will be occasional issues. But with the (I'd guess millions, possibly more) filtration systems they have sold, a few hundred complaints (most from simple minded hold my hand and do everything for me crybabies complaining just to complain; a few legitimate) I completely believe they put out exceptional products at a reasonable price!

Original review: May 4, 2014

I bought the faucet-mounted Pur filter and refills. As everyone here has experienced, the system leaks out the back of the housing while it's filtering cold water, and when I run hot water, with the filter turned off, it still leaks out the back of the housing. That tells me that hot water is getting into the filter housing, which the manufacturer says will ruin the filter. Further, the green-yellow-red indicator, which tells you when to change the filter, stopped working before I'd owned the system for 9 months. Now, since I don't normally drink plain water, I don't know if the filter is working or not. I'll change the filter a couple more times to use up the replacement filters I've already bought and then I'll find an alternative water filtration system. This is disappointing.

Original review: April 17, 2014

The water filter has an arrow on it with the word front suggesting that the arrow points to the front. The problem is that it doesn't say anywhere on the filter where the front is and neither does the directions. I kept thinking I had it wrong because the water trickles out but soon realized after reading other consumer complaints that this is normal. It would take me an hour to fill a water pitcher! Don't buy it!

Original review: April 14, 2014

My dad bought the white original Pur attach to the faucet water filter. It worked fine for a couple of months but when I went to change out the filter, I would place the filter in and tighten the cap about half way and the lights would work up until that point. While tightening the cap the rest of the way, the lights would go out and it felt like the cartridge would turn within the filter, thus moving the filter out of the 'front' position. I double checked to make sure I had the correct cartridges and I do. I also took the black rubber band seal off the cap to loosen it but still no luck. Since I have been seeing other people have problems with the lights not working, I'm wondering if that was the problem but they work the first half of the cap tightening so I'm at a loss for why it's not working! I have tried 3 different filters thinking one was a dud but all do the same. Super frustrated on wasting money!

Original review: April 13, 2014

I've used the PUR faucet water filter for about three years. The first two years were fine. Then the plastic adapter broke and I called PUR to get a replacement. I was told that they no longer used the plastic adapters. PUR had "upgraded" to metal adapters. They sent me a new adapter. That's when the problems started. The new metal adapters last about two weeks before leaking. It starts as a slow leak and within a few days ends up spraying my entire kitchen. I believe what is happening is that hot water is causing the metal to expand and when it contracts again it is misshapen causing the leak.

PUR customer service, of course, has said no one else has complained about this problem. They said I was the only one experiencing it. So it is reassuring to visit this site and find over three hundred other people who have the same problem. PUR has been good about sending me packs of replacement adapters. This last time, instead of sending me the adapters they sent me a new filter kit with a sticker that says "new and improved". I hope they have fixed the problem. I'll report back if the leak is gone.

Original review: April 12, 2014

Pur instructions say to align filter to front of cartridge. Problem is there's no adequate instructions on how to do this and there are no tabs on filter cover or bottom unit to show that filter is properly aligned. Also, I have owned other water filtration brands and this has to be the slowest water dispenser of all of them. The location and ease of the lever on the unit makes it very easy to engage it accidentally while running hot water, which will ruin the filter. Once the red light on my unit goes red (indicating time to change filter), this Pur filtration unit will be tossed in the garbage can!

Original review: March 17, 2014

It works fine for little while then will slow down to a very small trickle then quit. Have tried shaking it to rid a possible air lock, works sometimes. It really is not worth the money that I gave Wal-mart for it nor the upkeep in filters with it acting this way. I place blame to the makers of this item. Very poor product! Have even had my sink faucet air-lock up, take filter off leave faucet in on position, let water run like in bathroom and wow kitchen sink faucet works with running water again. No thanks to Pur water filter! Don't want to try get money back. Not worth the stress!

Original review: March 13, 2014

Everyone that I have had has leaked. They are fine for about the first three days, then they just leak, no matter what.

Original review: March 10, 2014

It never worked properly from time of purchase. After a month, I thought replace the carriage, maybe that will help. Nope the red or green never worked, I just assumed it wasn't suppose to. Maybe that's an upgraded version. I decided to remove it all together... I have been trying for three days. Finally it came off. Well the faucet end is threaded, now what? I took off the piece from the pur. It doesn't fit. Now I have water spraying all over... Basically like when I had the pur in the faucet.. So frustrating!! They need to improve the quality of this product and I will let everyone know. Do not purchase.

Original review: March 10, 2014

I bought a PUR water filter. I have only used the filter part few times - I bought it to fill up my cats' water dish. After the 3rd use, whenever I turn the hot water on in my sink, water drips out the filter side of it. I have tried multiple things to stop this, but nothing works. Since it says not to run hot water through the filter, I am guessing that the hot water that is dripping out of that side of it has voided the warranty. Once the filter in it is used up, I will be buying a Brita to replace it and I will not be buying PUR again.

Pur Water Filters Company Information