Pool Doctor

East Northport, NY

Compare Pool Companies

Research top Pool Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had Pool Doctor look at my pool heater last season because it was leaking water. They advised that it was beyond repair and that I needed to replace it. They gave me a price for a new heater, fully installed, at about $3,000, including removal and disposal of the new heater. When they came today to open the pool and install the new heater, they did not hook it up to the gas line and did not reconnect the electric wires they disconnected from the old heater, advising me that I needed to hire a plumber and electrician to have it reconnected. This is hardly "fully installed". They also refused to take away the old heater, leaving it at the bottom of my driveway.

When I called the owner to complain, he refused to help, arguing that while they do reconnect fuel and electric lines in 75% of cases, in this case they couldn't as the fitting would have to be changed and they can't do that. How they couldn't have known about this and advised me of it, when they examined the old heater and recommended and ordered the replacement is beyond me. I would advise anyone to avoid this company. Their competence and honesty are questionable at best.

The Pool Doctor refused to honor their warranty for our damaged pool liner. Now, we are forced to pay thousands of dollars to have this repaired. We are considering legal actions as well. I really hope someone investigates and shuts down this company so that no one can experience the horrible, costly service I and my family have received.

I had a new pool liner installed on 9-6-06 by Pool Doctor at a total cost of $4,650 that was paid in full. The liner installation was substandard, and I have had nothing but problems with the pool liner leaking and pulling away from walls. The company itself doesn’t want to stand behind what they sell, and I would never use them again. They are great about doing new work, but good luck getting them to stand behind what they have already done. Be smart and stay away!

I would like to take this opportunity to describe my experience with the installation of my pool and 2000 square foot patio with The Pool Doctor. I contracted Paul to do the job in 2008, after I checked out numerous pool installation companies in Eastern Long Island. His company has been around for almost 4 decades. They must be doing something right to have lasted this long! The job was done on time and within the budget agreed to. I was so happy that I had him do additional work and his price remained fair. He has been opening and closing my pool for 4 years now. He has covered any and all warranty work since they install like a person who wants to keep his customers happy.

I strongly recommend the Pool Doctor to anyone who wants a quality pool in their backyard. I would like to add that my pool was not a simple rectangular set up. He customized the shape as per my instructions. He put in a grotto with a waterfall and additional water fall next to the grotto, along with a Spillover Spa. My contract reflected an opening of 6 feet into the grotto. He gave me 8 feet, at no extra charge, because after looking at the 6 feet opening, he wasn't happy. His guys really made an effort to make the pool and patio special. This guy is outstanding and I have told Paul that he can use my yard as a reference any time. Check out his website. The work described there is real. I know because my pool is on the website.

Thanks Paul!

Steven **

I would like to take this opportunity to describe my experience with the installation of my pool and 2,000 square foot patio with The Pool Doctor. I contracted Paul to do the job in 2008, after I checked out numerous pool installation companies in Eastern Long Island. His company has been around for almost 4 decades. They must be doing something right to have lasted this long!

The job was done on time and within the budget agreed to. I was so happy that I had him do additional work and his price remained fair. He has been opening and closing my pool for 4 years now. He has covered any and all warranty work since the install, like a person who wants to keep his customers happy. I strongly recommend the Pool Doctor to anyone who wants a quality pool in their back yard. I would like to add that my Pool was not a simple rectangular set up. He customized the shape as per my instructions. He put in a grotto with a waterfall and an additional water fall next to the grotto along with a spillover spa. My contract reflected an opening of 6 feet into the Grotto. He gave me 8 feet at no extra charge because after looking at the 6 foot opening, he wasn't happy. His guys really made an effort to make the pool and patio special. This guy is outstanding and I have told Paul that he can use my yard as a reference any time. Check out his website. The work described there is real. I know, because my pool is on the website.

Thanks Paul!

Steven P. **

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pool Doctor?

Swimming pool stairs was installed with inadequate support, creating uneven steps. Also, the returns water jets on the side is inoperable. The uneven steps created a slippery and dangerous condition, which causes users to slip and fall.

The swimming pool step was installed on 11-12-2009 with inadequate support creating uneven steps and causing very slippery and dangerous condition.

Swimming pool stairs was improperly installed as evidenced by uneven steps. First step is buckling in the center, second step is bulging, forming a rounded step instead of a flat surface, creating a slip/safety hazard. The third & fourth steps are concaved, indicating insufficient backfill, or support.

Also, the water jet on the side of the stair is not functioning.

i had a pool liner replaced. has lifting seams wrinkles boot makes all kinds of scraping marks dents in the foam walls. it loose to the feel under your feet all together a horrible job of course they are paid in full.

made 2 phone calls in the last 2 weeks. one response was they we are too busy to send someone out. second phone message left for the owner still no response. i have been speaking to a gentleman by the name of micheal who has informed me they can not send somebody at night. but that's when everything is most visible with the light on we have tried to take picture but the glare from the water prevents the picture from coming clear this is unfair. i spent 2500 dollars and got the worst job ive ever seen

We set up a contract in August of 2009. The Pool Doctor stated they would take care of all the permits, paperwork and filing for the variance. After 8 months of them doing nothing, we got a call to go to the town board for approval. The pool doctor used a pen and drew up the plans on a sheet of paper instead of having it down right by an architect like they said they would do. The never took pictures of the property, we did. Finally in April of 2010, the pool was started and from day 1 it was a disaster. Instead of taking down the fence, they drove a huge payloader onto our driveway, cracking every slab it went on. They dug the backyard out leaving some grass still and a mound of dirt. They stated the paver guy would take it out.

They then worked on the weekends when the permit stated Monday thru Friday only, they left garbage, tools and crap all over the backyard. They urinated in the street and left garbage out on the curb. They placed the stairs onto the sewer cap that was located under ground. They never built a retaining wall to properly secure the steps into the ground. They built a waterfall which was not even completed. They left the blocks showing on the back and on the sides. It was built it high and never leveled it out. We were told we would have an 8' deep pool. When they went to put the liner in they found water in the deep area, so they charged us an additional $1500.00 to ensure the pool was going to be 8'. The pool is actually 5'10 in depth.

Then came the pavers. The company came in only 1 week of the dirt settling. They ripped up the remaining grass and laid the pavers down. Some were put on with concrete which automatically erases the warranty with the manufacturer of the paver. They were suppose to put down crush stone. The stone was put down sparingly in certain spots and only 1-2 inches. The fountains located on the corners, the pavers were cut so unprofessional, pavers that were used were cracked, scraped, damaged. To top it off, they ran out of pavers and didn't finish a 4 X6 foot section of pavers. We tried to contact the owner and no one had gotten back to us. We have contacted an attorney to pursue damages listed below and poor workmanship.

In March 2008 I had an in-ground pool installed by Pool Doctor. The summer of 2009 I noticed my steps starting to sink due to the settling of the ground. These steps are a preformed fiberglass unit that is attached to the pool. They should be backfilled properly and well supported. After the pool was finished I had the coping around the pool done with 4x12 coping stones and mortar. With the steps sinking the mortar between the stones has separated and now there is a gap. The surrounding dirt around the steps needs to be dug up and the steps better supported. Paul, owner of Pool Doctor, has seen the steps and attributed the cause of it to be the weight of the coping sitting around the steps. If the steps were properly supported they would and should be able to support the coping. After all, that is what they are made for. The water in the steps weigh much more than the coping, so obviously they were not supported correctly.

After I spent $30,000 on this pool I feel it should be done right! There is a warranty with this pool that is not being honored. There have been other issues with the installation of the pool, such as the entire pool being installed crooked and the light being installed on the wrong side of the pool. I have been able to overlook these issues but I cannot overlook the sinking steps. Please help me resolve this problem. I don’t feel anyone should have to endure this poor customer service, especially a veteran.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Pool Doctor is a pool design and maintenance business located in East Northport, Long Island. It has been in business for over 40 years.

• Custom design: Pool Doctor offers custom pool design and can work around customer's design needs.
  • Variety: Pool Doctor can design pools in both steel and concrete wall free form.
  • Spas: The company also designs spas and has a wide variety of custom spas that customers can choose from and tailor to their needs.
  • Financing: It offers financing options to help customers pay for their pools over time.
  • Reputation: Pool Doctor has a great, long-standing reputation for providing reliable pool installation in the New York area.
  • Best for Homeowners in Long Island area who are looking for custom pools.

Compare Pool Companies